Iso HD Reviews

By: BPI Sports

March 27, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Tastes Good
  • Quality Protein
    I received 2 tubs of BPI Iso HD as the result of a previous review on a product from the bounty program. These tubs, as it was brought to my knowledge in the comments, are an older version from before a reformulation. Thanks to Clipper for taking care of everything and getting it sent out to me.

8.5/10

This is a high quality isolate that consists of whey protein isolate and whey protein hydrolysate.

Each scoop provides 25g of protein, along with 3g of carbs and 1.5g of fat totalling 130 calories per scoop. However, there's also a lot of filler, including high fructose corn syrup, baking soda, sugar and dextrose. This is high quality, but not clean by any means.

I had the Cookies and Cream flavor, which was pretty good. It also had little cookie bits in it, which is where I assume a majority of the filler comes into play. Usually, big name companies such as this don't have bad tasting products, so I'm not surprised that this was better than others I've had recently.

8.5/10

As always, protein is hard to rate in terms of effectiveness. We need protein to fuel our muscles after lifting hard, so we'd obviously prefer it to be of higher quality. This protein fits the bill in that regard with its high quality whey isolate and hydrolysate. This protein settled just fine in my stomach and didn't lead to any nasty gas or GI issues. I wouldn't say I could feel a difference in recovery while using this, but I'm sure it was helping my muscles to heal and grow.

8.5/10

Looking around, I saw this listed as low as $20.55 for 23 servings, so it would be a great deal if you can still find this version floating around rather than the newly reformulated version. Any time whey isolate is under $1 per scoop, I'm a happy man.

Side Effects

Overall

8.5/10

Overall, this is a good protein from BPI that I actually wish they hadn't reformulated considering I believe this version to be better. I'd recommend getting any of this version that you could as it's probably going to start popping up at reduced rates soon due to expiration dates.
    • Cookies and Cream: 8/10

February 20, 2018

Could you explain a little more on why you consider this product to have a low quality blend? It has two isolates and a hydro. What could make it better in your opinion? Thank you

February 20, 2018

Really a matter of personal preference. Whey isolate is generally considered more bioavailable and more quickly absorbed by the body rather than milk isolate, so in regards to a post workout shake, I would just rather see more whey as opposed to milk.

Now that I think of it, perhaps "less ideal" should have been the term I used rather "low quality"

February 20, 2018

Is the MPI listed first on the ingredient label or is it the WPI? Do you have an older version of this protein before they reformulated it with a whey concentrate version included? Since MPI does contain some WPI along with casein, do you believe that a blend with some slower digesting protein is ideal for keeping MPS higher for longer compared to whey alone?

February 20, 2018

Actually, now that you mentioned it, I tend to use the ingredient label listed on the company website. The version listed on BPIs online store has milk isolate listed first.

However, I just pulled out the actual tub and it does indeed list the blend as just whey isolate and hydrolysate. I find it odd that BPI wouldn't have an updated profile on their stores website?

In any case, that makes this review null and void since I reviewed the wrong version. I'll have to re-do it completely

February 20, 2018

I believe the label on BPI's website is the current reformulated version where they added the MPI and whey concentrate. IMO, you have the better older version before the reformulation. The current version now has more carbs and sugar compared to what you have I believe.

February 20, 2018

How recent was the reformulation then? Because this was just recently bought within the past few months

February 20, 2018

I don't remember exactly but I believe it was sometime early last year. They did it quietly, hoping no one would notice.

• MarsheS
      February 20, 2018 - Last Edited: 2018-02-20 21:36:54

Wait... they added "Hydrolyzed Whey Concentrate" to a product named "ISO HD"!? WTF!? hahahaha. Who was the genius that ruined this product??

Btw, good catch dmf

February 20, 2018

@Marshes I know right? They tried to keep it quiet to avoid the mockery of having a concentrate in an ISO named product. This is the first and only product I have found that lists a hydro WPC. Never even knew that existed. Why spend the extra money to hydrolyze a concentrate, even if it is WPC 80? Guess I'm not the correct genius to ask! LOL

Thank you!