Ranks #92 (better than 26%)
In: Amino Acids > BCAA/EAA

Best BCAA is a BCAA manufactured by BPI Sports. BCAA is short for branched chain amino acids. They are the building blocks of protein and can increase protein synthesis, muscle recovery and endurance during workouts and have also been shown to reduce body fat.
FORUM TOPICS

Amino Acids > BCAA/EAA

Welcome to SupplementReviews.com

The supplement industry is notorious for misleading marketing and misinformation.

bte2
TROOPer Level: 1
  April 24, 2017

----Introduction----
I received a tub of BPI's Best BCAAs from a friend of mine who worked as a rep for BPI, but it sat on my shelf for a few weeks. Not really sure why, but I never got around to taking it. At the time I was taking Mesomorph pre workout and AST VP2 protein and was seeing great results, but when I ran out of protein I was starting to get incredibly sore after workouts. I didn't really have the money to get more protein at the time so I decided to start taking the BCAAs mostly to aid in recovery from my workouts.

The key ingredients in BPI's Best BCAA are as follows:
Glycyl-Alanyl-Lysine-L-Leucine (as Oligiopeptide-Enzymatic Technology Glycyl-Alanyl-Lysine-L-Leucine) 2.5g
Glycyl-Alanyl-Lysine-L-Isoleucine (as Oligiopeptide-Enzymatic Technology Glycyl-Alanyl-Lysine-L-Isoleucine) 1.25g
Glycyl-Alanyl-Lysine-L-Valine (as Oligiopeptide-Enzymatic Technology Glycyl-Alanyl-Lysine-L-Valine) 1.25g
-Notice the branch chain amino acids listed above are in the form of oligiopeptides. The purpose of using this form is that it increases the body's absorption rate of the BCAAs, thus raising the bioavailability.
Agmatine (as Oligiopeptide-Enzymatic Technology Agmatine Sulfate) 250mg
-Amatine sulfate accelerates the nitric oxide pathway for the purpose of supplying muscles with necessary nutrients.

The BCAA also includes a 1g proprietary blend that they call the CLA MATRIX. It includes:
Safflower Oil, Avocado Oil, Coconut Oil and CLA (Conjugated Linoleic Acid)
-CLA acts in a way similar to fatty acids in fish oils, acting to metabolize stubborn fat on the body.

----Taste/Mixability/Dosing----
The flavor I received was Green Fusion. On the tub there are apples and pears depicted, but the flavor was much, much heavier on the green apple taste. I actually didn't mind though, I'm a big fan of green apple tastes so I thought it tasted amazing. I have tried the Passion Fruit flavor since and did not care for it as much. It was decent upon my first taste, but the more I drank it the more I disliked it. The Passion Fruit left a much stronger aftertaste which I found annoying. The Green Fusion flavor is much sweeter than the Passion Fruit though, so if you're not big on sweet things then I would suggest steering clear from the Green Fusion.
I thought the BCAA's mixed incredibly well. I assume that's due to the water soluble properties of the oligiopeptides. I usually mixed a single scoop of BCAA with 10 oz water and drank it throughout my workout like gatorade.

----Effectiveness----
I wouldn't say that the BCAA's intensified the pump I was getting from my pre workout at all, but it did help me maintain higher energy levels longer into my workouts. I was experiencing pretty hard crashes from the pre workout prior to starting the BCAAs, and I think the BCAAs helped minimize the severity of the crash. In the time that I was taking them I did experience some strength gains, but while supplementing with a pre workout and increasing my diet intake (because I had no protein supplement) I can't attribute those gains to the BCAAs specifically.
The one category where I felt the BCAAs were lacking was in recovery. Since I was getting real sore after my workouts before taking the BCAAs (because the lack of protein) it was really easy for me to judge the recovery effectiveness of the BPI Best BCAA. During my workouts, I believe the BCAAs helped delay the onset of muscle fatigue because like I said, I was able to get deeper into my workouts without getting drained. However, I would have to say that the post-workout recovery benefits were very slight if anything at all. I was still getting incredibly sore after my workouts, so the BCAAs didn't really deliver in that respect.

----Value----
This BCAA is sold in two sizes, 30 servings and 60 servings. Amazon has the best prices on this specific BCAA from what I've seen. You can buy the 30 serving tub for $19 and the 60 serving for $31. These come out to $0.63/serving and $0.52/serving respectively. Across the board I'd say that these prices are good compared to most BCAAs out there. Certainly not expensive compared to some others.

----Side Effects----
I didn't experience any notable side effects during the 4 weeks I took this product.

----Conclusion----
Although I really enjoy the taste and was happy with the increased energy I received during my workouts, I believe that recovery is a very key component to a good BCAA and for that reason I have to give this product a lower rating than I would have liked to. The price is very reasonable, but I would've been happier paying more for a product that aided more in recovery. If you're looking for a more of a BCAA that provides additional energy during workouts and minimizes the effects of a pre workout crash, then this would be a good product for you.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Above Average Taste
  • Minimizes Crash
  • Sub Par Recovery
  • Green Fusion: 10/10
  • Passion Fruit: 7/10
bzyczek
TROOPer Level: 5
  March 1, 2017

----Introduction----
I am a 39 old male who is looking to cut the pains and help with getting slimmer. I bought this product mainly because it was cheap. I wanted this product to taste great so that I can drink more water while working out and doing my cardio. Also, I wanted more of BCAA to help me with the DOMS and sore muscles.

Glycyl-Alanyl-Lysine-L-Leucine - 2,500 mg
Glycyl-Alanyl-Lysine-L-Valine - 1,250 mg
Glycyl-Alanyl-Lysine-L-Isoleucine - 1,250 mg

This form of bonded aminos is supposed to help your body for quicker delivery to your muscles. Is faster better? I guess, since I personally have a pre workout that also comes with aminos and after the gym I usually add protein shake to my diet. I should be getting a lot of these aminos anyways. I would assume that these faster bonding aminos can help me while I'm working out with protein catabolism. Although they could have added a bit more of this basic BCAA since my pre workout has the same exact amount. Fundamentally this means I always have extra aminos that are ready to help me go leaner and stronger. Yes, please.

Agmatine - 250 mg

I'm not sure what this dose will do for you ... I thought this was more intended for the NO and the pump ... but than again I heard a lot of good things about agmatine. Those it feel like I'm paying more for it? Nope, so I say ... Yes, please.

CLA - 1,000 mg

I honestly think that this is a good addition to someone like me ... who wants to train and loose that fat because of the slower metabolism at my age (I aslo eat like a pig but let's just blame my metabolism). This is great ... Yes, please!

Just to note you have 6,250 mg of active ingredients which leaves 3,750g unaccountable for.

My previous reviewers were questioning where the rest of the grams that are in the scoop ... I don't think all of it is Dyes although they do exist in this product. They made it sounds so terrifying but it's probably the same as any other product that has dyes. A lot of the non active grams are Oligopeptide-Enzymatic technology blend, also you have maltodextrin which is usually just basic carbs which do not hurt to have while you are working out. The dye is listed last so it is probably the least amount.

----Taste/Mixability/Dosing----
The taste of this BCAA product is actually pretty good. It has a little bit of an odd taste ... it could be because of the CLA ... I'm not sure ... I can't put my taste buds on it. Since i drink a lot of water while working out I tend to drink through halfway and add more water to keep the taste. After a while it doesn't taste so good anymore ... but the initial is actually pretty good.

----Effectiveness----
I honestly am having a hard time judging these BCAA's as for as performance goes. This particular product does not really help you stay hydrated while you are working out but the agmentine and the CLA are probably giving a little bit of more energy output. I would not want to stop taking them because since I've been taking on extra my soreness and DOMS have been very small and not as intense as before. I get sore but not to the point where every step is a nightmare. I'm not sure how much more energy I'm getting out of this product because I do supplement my training with a pre-workout and d-pol. I think the most important factor for me personally is that I stay hydrated while spending two hours at the gym.

----Value----
This is where the product shines ... I bought 60 servings for 35$ on Amazon. That comes out to 58 cents per serving. That is pretty cheap if you ask me.

----Side Effects----
The only thing that it does to me is that I drink more water so than I have to go pee more often.

----Conclusion----
I like this product for the value. It's not only cheap but it has a lot to offer based on the fast acting BCAA's and the CLA. Since they are so into loosing and gaining lean muscle I would have loved it if they added Carnitine with the CLA.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Above Average Taste
  • Has CLA And Agmatine
  • Dyes
  • Fruit Punch: 9/10
BigRedd777
TROOPer Level: 9
  November 16, 2016

----Introduction----
Hello all! I'm here with my first BCAA review after trying many. So yes I am familiar with the branched chain amino acid category, that being said I understand the goal that BCAA's are intended to accomplish (energy, recovery, fat loss)... You can try this yourself rather than take my word for it, but lets first dive into the review before that hasty decision is made; after all, those are the ones that leave room for regret...

----Ingredient Profile----
The ingredient profile is standard BCAA's such as: "Glycyl-Alanyl-Lysine-L-Leucine (as Oligiopeptide-Enzymatic Technology Glycyl-Alanyl-Lysine-L-Leucine)," "Glycyl-Alanyl-Lysine-L-Isoleucine (as Oligiopeptide-Enzymatic Technology Glycyl-Alanyl-Lysine-L-Isoleucine)," "Glycyl-Alanyl-Lysine-L-Valine (as Oligiopeptide-Enzymatic Technology Glycyl-Alanyl-Lysine-L-Valine)." The only real difference is that the BCAA's are in the form of "Oligiopetides" which is claimed to have faster absorption (due to the 3 amino acids being bonded together).. The rest of the profile is self explanatory, (if you know what you're looking at). The CLA is nice to see as it aids in targeting/dismantling brown fat (bad fat) within the body. Also, the addition of 250mg agmatine is nice for that extra little pump; it's nothing crazy, but it's nice. However, as stated in the 1st review of this product, you'll realize that the scoop is 10grams.. 10g-6.25g=3.75grams left of artificial flavorings and dyes... Ew 6/10

----Taste/Mixability/Dosing----
Taste is good for just about every flavor.. but they've tried to hard to mask the fact that the ingredients taste like trash... The mix-ability is good, you may get a few stragglers toward the bottom, but it's minimal. Dosing is your standard BCAA profile in order to be effective. However, the product doesn't go the extra mile to ensure efficacious dosages. 7.5/10

----Effectiveness----
This is where the product really lacked... I didn't buy BEST BCAA to function as an expensive kool-aid with some agmatine and CLA (which it did), I bought it to increase recovery, aid in lowering body fat, and increase my energy a tad.. so yeah, I was disappointed.. I believe I experienced some acceleration in recovery, but it was minimal. If the Oligiopetide matrix works to speed up absorption, then its success lies in its ability to go straight through you (through urine). Like I said above, the CLA and Agmatine is nice. It helps intra workout to maintain a tad bit of energy, pump, and to aid burning brown fat; but its still not exactly worth it.. 5/10

----Value----
You can find this stuff relatively cheap (15-28 bucks depending on the sale), but overall I wouldn't recommend it. For the extra few bucks other products may cost it's worth it to go with a different BCAA than "BEST BCAA," as ironic as it may be. So 7/10

----Side Effects----
Nothing revealed itself as a con, no i'll side effects (except some regret).

----Conclusion----
Spend the extra few dollars on a more highly rated (on this site) BCAA product that has legitimate research backing it.. Whenever possible, you should try to determine the source that companies derive their ingredients from: plants, animals, bird beaks, feathers, bones, etc... Many companies cut the costs of purchasing ingredients by using more inexpensive ingredients, and in turn boost profit margins.. So be conscious of this... Lastly, do your research. Be aware of what you put in your body. Our body is our temple, so due to the artificial dyes and flavoring I can't in good conscience endorse this product. Overall 6.5/10

I hope this was helpful! If you have any suggestions for other products you'd like to see reviews done on, leave me a comment. Thank you for your support, and I do welcome constructive criticism! Keep up the good fight!!
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Above Average Taste
  • Has CLA And Agmatine
  • Heavy On Dyes
  • Sub Par Recovery
  • Possibly Inferior Source Of Ingredients
  • Watermelon Ice: 9/10
  • Blue Rasperry: 8/10
  • Green Fusion: 7/10
willyb87
TROOPer Level: 49
  August 12, 2015

(SR paid for product; BPI Sports did not participate)
----Introduction----
Thanks to the SR TROOP program for sending me tis product to try out. At the time of use I was on a lean bulk, but regardless of training goals im always looking for new BCAAs and flavors to sip on intra workout. I had been thinking about adding CLAs to my stack for awhile and this had them already included so that was a big selling point on me.

----Ingredient Profile----
I believe im the 1st one to review this product so here is the Profile. Its a decent profile you have 5 grams of BCAAs in the form of BPIs Ogliopeptides, supposedly this is a superior(best) form of BCAA and is supposed to increase bioavailability and use of all ingredients. Next you have 1 gram of CLA for "fat loss properties and lean tissue building" and 250mg of agmatine, I like the amount of agmatine because I use this as an intra and most of my PWOs already have a hefty dose of it to start with, and too much of it disagrees with my stomach. Also the one downside to this product is the dyes are pretty heavy, it shows a 10gram serving so 3.75grams of the product is artificial flavoring and dyes seems a little much to me.

Serving Size: 1 Scoop (10 Grams)
Servings Per Container: 30
Amount Per Serving
Glycyl-Alanyl-Lysine-L-Leucine - 2,500 mg
Glycyl-Alanyl-Lysine-L-Valine - 1,250 mg
Glycyl-Alanyl-Lysine-L-Isoleucine - 1,250 mg
Agmatine - 250 mg
CLA - 1,000 mg
Other Ingredients:
Maltodextrin, silica, natural and artificial flavors, sucralose, malic acid, citric acid, acesulfame-K, and FD&C Red No. 40

----Taste/Mixability/Dosing----
Taste- I received the Passion Fruit flavor and was kind of skeptical at 1st. I ave never been a fan of mango or other tropical fruit flavors, but this was surprisingly tasty, I let my brother have a sip and he agreed with me that it sorta tasted like the ole Boones Farm Fuzzy Navel wine drinks we used to get in high school without the hint of alcohol of course. No tartness and very smooth
Mixability- Great I mixed this is a shaker cup, water bottle, and even a glass once and never had any problem with grit, residue or foam. It will stain your shaker though if you leave it in too long.
Dosing- Same as all BCAAs dose accordingly to wen you need it. I used this intra and on a few occasions I woke up and sipped on it for some fasted cardio.

----Effectiveness----
I really enjoyed it and it seems to stay on par with other BCAA supps in helping keep DOMS down. What I look for in a BCAA supplement is that it keeps DOMS at bay or manageable and that it is enjoyable to sip on through my workout, water has gotten old so I need some flavor and I want to look forward to it. This held up on both accounts and if they could get rid of so many dyes it would be even better. I didn't notice the superior Ogliopeptide technology being any better than the rest, which I didn't expect to see a huge difference in that anyways. Without changing anything else in my diet the added CLA seemed to help my energy and I did notice a slight leaning out in my ab area, could have been a placebo being the 1st time ive supplemented CLA but I enjoyed the tub nonetheless.

----Value----
I have seen this from $19 TO $30 and you can usually find it on bodybuilding for a BOGO or BOGO50% type sale. With the few added extras this is about on par with other products in the category if not just slightly cheaper and IMO is a good buy.

----Side Effects----
No sides, too many dyes though

----Conclusion----
I enjoyed the tub from beginning to end it never really got stagnant tasting and seemed to hold effectiveness the entire time. Like I said earlier I let my lil bro take a scoop during a workout and he enjoyed it as well. Being that I enjoyed a flavor such as this im curious to try a few of the other flavors and will more than likely snag a tub next time it hits a BOGO sale.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Above Average Taste
  • Heavy On Dyes