Bowflex Body™ Reviews

By: Bowflex

Protein > Meal Replacements
Bowflex Body™ is a Meal Replacement manufactured by Bowflex. It is a protein based supplement meant to provide additional fats and carbohydrates with the purpose of providing a quick and conveinient meal. It can promote lean muscle mass gain and aid in fat loss. It is not to be used as a sole source of nutrition.
7.1

October 12, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Solid Macro Profile
  • Top Shelf Ingredients
  • No Soy Proteins
  • Decent Taste
  • Versatile
  • Insanely Expensive

From the company that adopted the Swiss Army Knife approach to home fitness comes the Swiss Army Knife approach to supplementation. Bowflex touts Smart Shake as the one flexible solution to give your body what it needs, when it needs it. It's formula is design to burn, build and protect all at the same time. One very important thing to keep in mind when looking at this product is that's it's not a competitor to most of what we consider pure bodybuilder supplements, rather, (in my opinion) it's designed to compete with products such as VI or Beach Body Shakeology, etc.

How'd it do? Let's see.

Blowflex has adopted the concept of a "base" protein product with add-ons for specific purposes such as the building or burning. The base product that I received was the Fitness Shake in French Vanilla. I'm not going into detail about the label as you can find it online, plus, it's like the War and Peace of ingredients lists. But breaking out the highlights for us meatheads, 1 36g scoop delivers 125 calories from 2g fat, 11g carbs (6 fiber/5 sugar)and 15g protein. The rest of the ingredients are things like vitamins, minerals, fats such as MCT s and all kinds of vegetable and fruit extracts in an attempt to be more "healthful". All in all I think it achieves that with no problem. I find the overall ingredient mix and profile to be adequate for the average fitness enthusiast or person trying to lose some weight through foundation concepts such as making better eating choices. It's a well balanced macro spread and Bowflex achieves it with what appears to be higher quality methods and ingredients.

Here's what stands out for me:

1. Big plus for no soy or vegetable proteins here: milk isolate, whey isolate, whey hydrolysate and micellular caseinate. Most of the other products in this health market use soy proteins so this is a huge plus for me.

2. Minus for only having 15g of protein per 36g scoop. I realize that this is intended as far more than just a "protein" but it moves it into the MRP category for me. Or perhaps something to have as a snack. Now Bowflex remedies this by giving you the option to purchase peanut butter "Shake Boosts" that add another 10g of protein, and that absolutely works, but at a cost.

Taste and mixing are both in the upper echelon. I mean, it's not RCSS Pro-Antium delicious but it's very enjoyable. It's going to be a bit thicker due to the fiber - I found it to be less thick than Isatori Eat Smart, my regular MRP go-to product. I mixed it with milk, water and almond milk with equally acceptable results. Note: the more ice the better as it tastes better cold. And like most MRP or fiber rich supplements, works best in just water, which is a plus because you don't need to worry about extra calories or keeping a source of milk handy.

The Shake Boosts I received were mixed berry (antioxidant), chocolate (fat burning) and peanut butter (muscle building). The chocolate was average and the peanut butter above average. The mixed berry wasn't really my cup of tea but it was certainly acceptable. I'll talk more about the Shake Boosts in the next section.

But kudos for using French Vanilla as the base product flavor - it was very versatile and I could use this to make my own smoothies with fruit or use the chocolate boosts.

This is an effective product for what it can accomplish. And by that I mean that no, I would not compare this to something like Muscle Feast Premium that's s straight protein supplement. But compared to other MRP or robust macro products like Isatori Eat Smart I think it works just fine to help me get in some macros. Like I said, I wish it had more protein or that the muscle building boosts weren't so pricey, but all in all, it achieves it's purpose of providing raw materials to support my training goals during the day - and sometimes that's as simple as having a better quality snack meal that provides 250 calories than something out of a vending machine or from 7-11. And that's really how I used it - 2 scoops provided 250 calories, 30g protein, 22g carbs and 4g of fat. I got zero problems with that as a snack or in between meal.

Shake Boosts:

The shake boosts allow you to "customize" your solution. The chocolate provides metabolism ingredients such as green coffee bean, garcinia camboga and African mango (all questionable in effectiveness). The peanut butter gives an extra 10g protein., The mixed berry delivers blueberries, raspberries, strawberries and other ingredients in an antioxidant blend. So you get the picture. It's a nice versatile product this way.

This is where the product takes a mortal blow. Seriously terminal for me personally. I'm only aware of purchase directly though Bowflex and that's $59.95 for a 30 serving bag for the base product. 15 servings of the boosts cost $14.95 for the chocolate, $19.95 for peanut butter and $9.95 for mixed berry. So most likely, you're looking at $75 - $80 for those 30 servings. That's certainly better than VI or Shakeology but it's not better than Isatori which sells for $25 for the same servings.

The real question is whether all the additions such as natural ingredients and shake boosts and what not provide real value over a lesser product and/or normal food. In my opinion, it does not. The main value it provides is convenience that let's you avoid making a poor snack or meal choice when trying to stick to a nutritional plan. At almost 2-3 times the cost, that doesn't make the grade for me.

Conclusion

I think this is actually a pretty good product. If it were half the price, I would buy it simply because I like having things like this on hand for those occasions when I need to reach for something healthier to snack on, like the afternoon at my desk. This would fit that bill nicely, but not at the price it is. Now maybe the average consumer of Shakeology or the VI or the other over-priced and over-hyped MLM type products out there think that any amount of money is ok to spend for promises, fortunately, you're reading this on SR and know that's simply not the case. You've got to do better on the price point if you want to sell to meatheads - cuz you know, we're a bunch of cheapskates, lol!

Overall
Overall
4.5
6.6
2.8
  September 3, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
    • Insanely Expensive
    • Underdosed.
    Special thanks go out Bowflex Body for providing the Troop Program with their Fitness Shake Protein. Bowflex is traditionally been known for fitness equipment, they have now been getting into the supplement industry with some limited products. With that said lets examine Bowflex Body's Fitness Shake.

How I ran it: 1-2 scoops at various times throughout the day.

Ingredients 5.5: My goodness Sit down, strap in and take a deep breath. The sheer amount of ingredients for this product is shocking. I know it is not sheerly a protein shake, but more a fitness shake (whatever that is). I counted about 65 ingredients in this product, which is a big turn off to me. The primary ingredients is a protein blend of 5 proteins, a fiber blend, an antioxidant blend and fillers for the taste. The big thing (or small depending on your perspective) is you only get 15G of protein per scoop, for each 37G scoops (ohh my). Just a lot of items in there. This product markets itself like a protein/fitness shake, but it does not have enough protein, no enough fiber/carbs, or antiOX blends. I am just confused at what this product is trying to be, if it wants to be an MRP, then effectively dose it. If it wants to be a protein product, then effectively dose it, and so on and so forth..

Mixing 7: With the added fiber and fillers, but mixes think. I used the old blender for the most part.

Taste 9: Actually, I loved the taste of this. It was thick, full bodied and great aftertaste the for the vanilla. Great!

Effectiveness 6.6: Man, I don't even know where to start with the effectiveness. This product tries to be everything to everyone and ends up being subpar at everything. The digestion was good which is probably due to the fiber pro blend which is included. Given the limited protein (15 grams) the recovery effectiveness was really a let down. I had to use 2 scoops to get up to 30 grams, which significantly reduces the value. Speaking of value

Value 2.5: My goodness. I can only find this product on Bowflex's site for 99 dollars. Yes 99 Dollars, for a 30 serving bag. You do not get any equipment with that price either. I don't need to say anything more Comical.

Conclusion 4.5: Lets keep this short and sweet. If you have money to burn, go outside and light it on fire. That would be about as an effective use of the money. I rarely outright bash a product, but this isn't a full MRP solution that has ultra effectively dosed ingredients that could even command this type of price. No seal of approval from Bladeski!

2.0
      July 21, 2015

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Helps Recovery.
    • False Claims
    • Underdosed.
    I have tried out a variety of protein blends within the last few months so was excited to have another notch on my belt with this one. I was initially skeptical as I thought bow flex made only training equipment, though it looks like they have jumped into the supplement business. Just want to give a huge thanks to the reps at Bow flex Body for letting me try and review this protein. When it came I was super stoked as the box was massive; they threw a solid amount of extras which I won't be reviewing but would be cool if other companies did something like this. To the review:

Effectiveness- This product did help me recover from my intense cardio and heavy weight workouts. I did have to use 2 sometimes 3 scoops depending on the length of the workout; causing me to burn threw the bag in less than a month. It's supposed to help with fat loss but considering I'm normally a lean guy with a high metabolism I can't comment much on this. I can see it happening considering Bow Flex uses 5 types of protein including 2 types of casein which will maintain a steady protein flow helping increase metabolism and burn fat. Even though the single serving size is too low for muscle building is still has the necessary components to do so, more just needs to be used (disadvantage.) The claims listed on the package include immune benefits created through the vitamin blend that constitutes a large portion of the ingredient profile. As far as this go, I did not see any immune benefits such as sense of well-being, better digestion, and clearer skin. I did not have high expectations in this category so this was not a huge let down.

Taste-Traditionally I prefer chocolate protein blends but when looking over this selection on troops I noticed the flavor was French Vanilla and that sounded too good to pass up. I actually really liked the flavor and it's extremely versatile. I was able to make a ton of newly invented and my staple fruit/vegetable/super-food smoothies. My wife sitting next, wanted to let the rep know that she too thought the flavor to be out of this world. She also commented on how it kept her hunger pains at bay for multiple hours afterward.

Mixability- One scoop mixes alright in 8oz-12oz of water, it's slightly thick but it's not sludge by any means. If you blend it a few times, throw it in a large glass, adding a cup of rice milk (if bulking); this is the sweet spot. When I use it in the Magic Bullet (soon will be getting the Nutri-Bullet :0 ), I have never seen anything assimilate into the liquid so fast (3-4 seconds max). When I was blending 3-4 scoops at a time, if I threw some fruit in there for additional liquid/moisture I was actually able to take it down if I was really in the zone.

Ingredients-Considering it seem to be more designed for fat loss (although muscle building is listed), whey blend is not bad. This is kind of a double edge sword because the product had me feeling full when I needed to consume more calories to keep building muscle. There were also time when hormone related supplements had me eating like a horse, so I could take 2-3 scoops of this and be full (for a few hours). I don't think the vitamin blend is entirely necessary; not to mention people are not usually worried about the vitamin profile when they get a whey protein powder. It seems like it was added to make additional false claims seem more realistic.

Dosing-I used 2-3 scoops after workout and on heavy training days, a scoop before bed as it has the two type of casein. As stated previously, bowflex should bump the dose from 15grams to 20-25 grams a serving. That would make it sufficient for body building purposes as for fat loss with the additional protein helping your metabolism.
    Price-A 30 serving bag of this is $100. The components to this product in no way justify this price. There is no whey protein on the market (30 serving) that sells even close to this price. Most companies sell 10lbs. whey concentrate, 7lbs. whey isolate, and 3-5 lbs. hydrolyzed whey for this price. This is a complete slap in the face to the unknowing consumer, who has just began lifting and is unsure what to look for in ingredient profiles/spotting false claims. Bowflex, a price of $30 would be reasonable for what you're getting.

Overall-I would not recommend this product. It did help me recover from workouts, but seriously what whey protein doesn't help in that department? I had to use 2-3 scoop for this recovery as well; At 15 grams at serving, you could go through it in 2 weeks. With a $100 price tag, even if you were to take one scoop a day; it's not financially feasible for the average or serious bodybuilder who could use the extra money spent on this for more real food. I mean I could get a 2lb. tub of Optimum Nutrition (dosed at 20grams/serving) Whey and $70 worth of food for the price on one tub; just to give you more perspective. There are false claims on the bag such as immune boosting benefits; which are not scientifically possible with the listed vitamin/nutrient dosages. The taste is good, and it does help you feel full; if you need that. It's upsetting a company would charge this much for a whey blend, and makes unrealistic claims (immune boosting,provide energy). As much as they charge, you would think this product should pack a punch; it doesn't at all. Bowflex protein failed to deliver, straight up. That's the bottom line.