Bcaa Powder Reviews

June 24, 2016

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Increased Recovery

Having an exercise physiology background has prompted me to review what I believe to be one of the most important supplements to take if you are serious about fitness: BCAAs. Branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs) are the essential amino acids needed to repair your muscles after an intense training session. The BodyTech BCAA powder was my go-to brand when I was first starting out and got smacked with that overwhelming feeling of anxiety when I walked into the supplement store and saw all of the options.

Like many of the other available brands on the market, BodyTech's BCAA powder has three amino acids in the product: L-Leucine (2.5g), L-Isoleucine (1.25g), and L-Valine (1.25g). All three are coming in free form which means that they do not need to be digested (like food proteins) and are ready to quickly be absorbed by your muscles. Other ingredients include lecithin and soy.

One of the main downfalls of this product is the taste. It is so bitter and really changes the taste to your shake. One of the main reasons I purchased the product was the convenience of the powder and the fact that it was unflavored. The idea was to add it to my pre-workout drink and my post-workout protein shake which eliminated the need to drink a separate drink just for the BCAAs (you wouldn't want to add blue raspberry or orange tangerine BCAA powder to a chocolate protein shake...unless you are into that kind of thing). The taste, however, almost makes me wish it was flavored.

The product does mix well. I have never had trouble with clumping or the product settling to the bottom of the shake (if mixing with a shaker bottle). A serving size is 1 scoop (5.1g). The suggested directions are to mix 1 scoop with 6-8 oz. of water or your favorite beverage. They recommend using the product before and after training and consume daily (I always followed the directions). I always mixed it with my shake, so it may actually be easier to get past the taste if you down the product quick with 6oz of water.

Overall, I wasn't disappointed with the product. I tried the BodyTech brand when I was first starting to experiment with supplements, and I felt that it fueled my muscles and prevented breakdown like it claimed to do. I was not using any pre-workout supplements or stimulants, and I still felt like my muscles were firing properly without struggling to get through that last rep. On my heavy chest or leg days, I wouldn't feel completely awful the next day. It wasn't until I decided to try alternative BCAA supplements that I discovered there are better ones out on the market (which I plan to review as well). I actually stopped taking the BodyTech brand in the middle of a container and switched to another brand. I recently decided to try a couple scoops again after switching products, and I did not get the same boost I was hoping for.

The price of this product makes it seem like it is a great deal; however, you do get what you pay for. You get a pretty large container for half the cost of most other brands. The last container I purchased was 11.8oz and well under $20. I think this value is great for individuals who are just starting out and want to get their foot in the door with supplements.

Side Effects

I did not have any side effects with this product (except for the occasional gagging from the terrible taste).

Conclusion

Overall, the product is an okay buy. If you are looking for a cheap, unflavored BCAA powder supplement, this is one of the few I would recommend especially for new fitness fanatics. It has the same 2:1:1 ratio as compared to most of the other products and gives you a great amount for your money. If you can get past the taste, these powdered BCAAs are very useful for fast absorption for individuals starting high intensity resistance training.
  • Unflavored: 3/10