Bcaa Powder Reviews

By: BodyTech

Amino Acids > BCAA/EAA
Bcaa Powder is a BCAA/Intra-Workout manufactured by BodyTech. BCAA is short for branched chain amino acids. They are the building blocks of protein and can increase protein synthesis, muscle recovery and endurance during workouts and have also been shown to reduce body fat.

June 24, 2016

• Increased Recovery

Having an exercise physiology background has prompted me to review what I believe to be one of the most important supplements to take if you are serious about fitness: BCAAs. Branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs) are the essential amino acids needed to repair your muscles after an intense training session. The BodyTech BCAA powder was my go-to brand when I was first starting out and got smacked with that overwhelming feeling of anxiety when I walked into the supplement store and saw all of the options.

Like many of the other available brands on the market, BodyTech's BCAA powder has three amino acids in the product: L-Leucine (2.5g), L-Isoleucine (1.25g), and L-Valine (1.25g). All three are coming in free form which means that they do not need to be digested (like food proteins) and are ready to quickly be absorbed by your muscles. Other ingredients include lecithin and soy.

One of the main downfalls of this product is the taste. It is so bitter and really changes the taste to your shake. One of the main reasons I purchased the product was the convenience of the powder and the fact that it was unflavored. The idea was to add it to my pre-workout drink and my post-workout protein shake which eliminated the need to drink a separate drink just for the BCAAs (you wouldn't want to add blue raspberry or orange tangerine BCAA powder to a chocolate protein shake...unless you are into that kind of thing). The taste, however, almost makes me wish it was flavored.

The product does mix well. I have never had trouble with clumping or the product settling to the bottom of the shake (if mixing with a shaker bottle). A serving size is 1 scoop (5.1g). The suggested directions are to mix 1 scoop with 6-8 oz. of water or your favorite beverage. They recommend using the product before and after training and consume daily (I always followed the directions). I always mixed it with my shake, so it may actually be easier to get past the taste if you down the product quick with 6oz of water.

Overall, I wasn't disappointed with the product. I tried the BodyTech brand when I was first starting to experiment with supplements, and I felt that it fueled my muscles and prevented breakdown like it claimed to do. I was not using any pre-workout supplements or stimulants, and I still felt like my muscles were firing properly without struggling to get through that last rep. On my heavy chest or leg days, I wouldn't feel completely awful the next day. It wasn't until I decided to try alternative BCAA supplements that I discovered there are better ones out on the market (which I plan to review as well). I actually stopped taking the BodyTech brand in the middle of a container and switched to another brand. I recently decided to try a couple scoops again after switching products, and I did not get the same boost I was hoping for.

The price of this product makes it seem like it is a great deal; however, you do get what you pay for. You get a pretty large container for half the cost of most other brands. The last container I purchased was 11.8oz and well under $20. I think this value is great for individuals who are just starting out and want to get their foot in the door with supplements.

Side Effects

I did not have any side effects with this product (except for the occasional gagging from the terrible taste).

Conclusion

Overall, the product is an okay buy. If you are looking for a cheap, unflavored BCAA powder supplement, this is one of the few I would recommend especially for new fitness fanatics. It has the same 2:1:1 ratio as compared to most of the other products and gives you a great amount for your money. If you can get past the taste, these powdered BCAAs are very useful for fast absorption for individuals starting high intensity resistance training.
  • Unflavored: 3/10

9.5
9.5
  February 24, 2016

• Increased Recovery

Let's take two! I had to do some restructuring on this review so let's see how the second draft turns out. Let me know what you guys think and where I can improve to help give you all better reviews/ideas of the specified product. The main restructuring will be done in the "Effectiveness" category.

No lie - I went into this one thinking probably what most of you are thinking - "Is Body Tech even a reputable brand?" I was in a monetary crunch and needed something to hold me over until my next "real" sup run. Lo and behold Body Tech stole my heart.

- This has a 2:1:1 ratio of L-Leucine, L-Isoleucine and L-Valine
- Lecithin is literally the only other ingredient in this bottle besides the three listed above - so pretty pure to say the least
- You get 66 Servings per container if you're using the powder and the same if you use the 200 capsules
- There is NO fish, dairy, corn, or wheat byproducts mixed in with this

*** The lecithin is a fat that is produced in the body and is essential at the cellular level. It's purpose in this product is simply to hold the the BCAA's together to maintain the integrity of the product.

This stuff is crazy bitter if you don't mix it with the right stuff. I mixed it with my Whey protein and I was not a happy camper. If you have a fruit flavored Post-WO or Gatorade or juice you can't tell a difference if its mixed in the drink or not. So, go with one of those.

The powder is very fine and mixes very well. There's no foam or leftover residue when using this product.

A LITTLE CHEMISTRY: PURPOSE/FUNCTION
So, most of us know that BCAA's are Branched Chain Amino Acids which are the building blocks of proteins. BCAA's (as stated above) consist of Leucine, Isoleucine and Valine. What some of us may not know a ton about is the function and purpose of the amino acids.

First the three BCAA's are Leucine, Isoleucine and Valine, however, the above ingredient profile states all of these with an "L" in front of them. The "L" signifies that these are stereoisomers which is two isomers that have the same chemical makeup but just in a different order. All this means is that it is the "left sided" molecule, which is the mirror image of the right sided molecule (The "D-Leucine" or "Leucine" as we know it.)

They perform essentially the same function but we use them in our supplements because researchers have found a better absorption rate into the body with L-Leucine than Leucine, as well as the same for Isoleucine and Valine.

The function of the BCAA's is to act as nitrogen carriers which assist the muscle in synthesizing other amino acids for anabolic muscle action. (This is according to Blomstrand et al., Influence of Ingesting a Solution of Branched Chain Amino Acids on Perceived Exertion During Exercise, Clin. Sci.:87, 52, 1994.) This means that they assist the muscle in taking simple amino acids and converting them into muscle. **The main difference between BCAA's and other amino acids is that the BCAA's are absorbed by the muscles and have a much lower metabolism rate in the liver.

BCAA's are both anabolic and anti-catabolic, meaning they help promote protein synthesis, as well as, they help prevent protein breakdown.

SUGGESTED INTAKE
There has been research out that shows improvements from people who have taken as little as 3g each day to as much as 50 g each day. The suggested use is 5-10 grams each time you take it, and you will find mixed reviews on how many times a day you take it. Most everybody is in agreement that it should be taken before and after a workout. Some also say you should take 5-10 grams with each meal. Depending on your financial situation and preference you can figure this one out for yourself. I would add, though, that more is not always necessarily better. There are plenty of people out there who say that you receive more than enough by just eating good protein rich meals.

PERSONAL RESULTS
Personally, while I was taking this BCAA supplement I had some good results. I could see a noticeable change in my lifts, in my overall size and in my energy. In just 3 weeks on this stuff I was able to see some major results. My wife was even able to see a noticeable difference in the size of my arms, chest and legs. I don't have specific numbers because I don't measure but if it's noticeable to others then I would say it's working. The numbers I do have are for my lifts which I was able to increase one about 5-10 lbs for each lift.

Like I stated above one of the functions of BCAA's is its anti-catabolic (breakdown of muscle) I was definitely able to see this while I was taking the supplement. Before I had started taking I felt the typical "next day soreness" and sometimes the two-day after soreness was worse than the next day. With the BCAA I had a limited amount of next-day soreness and virtually no two-day after soreness.

I was only taking one scoop per day with about 6-8 ounces of something fruity flavored. (Even on non-lifting days) So, if I were to increase my intake to the more popular suggestion of before AND after a workout I might see even more results.

The value is one of the best parts of this product! You're getting 66 servings at about $0.41/serving when compared with similar products it blows the competition out of the water. From what I have seen this stuff comes in at about half the cost/serving than its competition.

Side Effects

There were no negative side effects and it's proven that there are no negative side effects with BCAA's in general.

Conclusion

If you're looking for a straight BCAA then go with Body Tech's BCAA Complex. I have not seen any better prices for a straight BCAA product. Also, if you take time to read the label and there's only Valine, Leucine, and Isoleucine in the mixture then you are getting the same product no matter where you go. So, if you buy something more expensive you are only paying for the name that is associated with the label.

P.S. I would love to have any and all CONSTRUCTIVE feedback, but if you don't agree with my post could you please inform as to what specifically does not meet your expectations? I'm new at this so if you just say "it doesn't meet the mark," I won't know what to elaborate on. Thanks, everybody!

February 23, 2012

• Increased Recovery
    First Bcaa product ever, besides a few samples.
    I wanted to cycle off caffeine a few weeks before my first h-drol cycle to avoid the withdrawal headaches during cycle which has been known to destroy my days. I also don't want to have to take advil while on cycle due to the extra strain on my liver. Anyways that's were my head was at when trying this out.

Profile: (10/10)
    -5 grams of instantized Bcaa per scoop with a 2:1:1 ratio
    -Unflavored
    -65 Servings per container
    -Ajipure Amino Acids – supposed to be very pure

Mixability: (10/10) Powder is very fine and mixes very well. No froth/film on top like other samples I have tried.

Taste: (5/10) Very tart, not tolerable without something masking the taste. Mixed in Gatorade you can't even taste it and all is fine.

Value: (10/10) 65 servings of a quality product with no prob blend, no complaints here.

Effectiveness: (9/10) – I workout as soon as I wake up in the morning at about 6am. I would mix 2 scoops of this in some Gatorade and some beta alanine capsules preworkout. Yes this was my first full bcaa product I have tried, so I have nothing to compare this to, BUT I loved the results. In no way is this caffeine energy but I didn't find myself dragging through my workouts like I usually do when I cycle off stims. This is exactly what I was looking for. I also noticed amazing recovery when using this product. Normally after destroying legs I would have major doms the next day, and this nearly eliminated those.

I have to say I always thought Bcaa products were a joke, but now I am a fan. I love how I don't feel like I have to rely on stims to have a good workout now. Can't wait to try other bcaa products and will certainly be cycling off of stims way more often now, and for longer amounts of times.

March 29, 2011

Cons:
    1st of all it tastes TERRIBLE! Look, if I'm drinking a protein shake or glass of water mixed with a product, said product should not make it taste disgusting. The bottle is very large & that's why I gave it the rating I did. I took it 1st thing in the AM with my ON whey shake, post workout with same shake & on non-w.o. days with an ON pro-complex shake. After about a week of this I couldn't take it anymore & started adding ovaltine/nesquick powder to my shakes so I couldn't taste the powder anymore. Does it work? I hope so! I take quite a bit of sups so it's not like I can say "Well when I took it I had positive result A & when I didn't I had negative result B", but I don't like to give something a bad rating unless I know for a fact that I can do so in good conscience. You get quite a bit for your money but I wouldn't recommend it & won't buy it ever again. Shouldn't have listened to the out of shape fool working at Vitaminworld "You want a powder because it absorbs better & ours is great!" Guess what? theirs was the ONLY POWDER THEY SOLD. I said to him "All these are pill form unless I'm missing something here" so guess what he picked out?