Pro Series Protein - Vanilla Reviews

By: Body Shop Nutrition

Protein > Whey Protein
Pro Series Protein - Vanilla is a Whey Protein Powder manufactured by Body Shop Nutrition. It is a dairy based protein that supports lean muscle gain by suppling additional protein to recovering muscles, which can also improve fat loss.

9.5
  March 14, 2016

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Supports Muscle Growth
  • Supports Recovery
  • Tastes Good
  • Mixes Well
  • GMPFDA Facility
  • A Bit Pricey
  • Artificial Flavors

Body Shop Nutrition is a new company that looks like they are putting out quality supplements. I have had the chance to try their vanilla pro series whey isolate and one of their pre-workouts. This company seems to pride themselves on the quality of their products and say they want to use the best ingredients they can. This company produces their supplements in a GMP and FDA inspected facility and their limited products all have fully disclosed labels.

When I first saw this profile, I was extremely impressed at how clean it was. Basically the only macros in here are 26 g of protein and less than a gram of carbs. The protein that is used in here comes directly from milk, not as a waste product from cheese as most other whey proteins are derived from. Their powder is supposedly a patented process of micro and ultra-filtration to produce the highest quality of protein. There is no lactose in this protein and they even added lactase which is an enzyme that can break down lactose. Not a fan of the artificial flavoring, but that is nitpicking.

Dosing/Taste/Mixability

Dosing 10/10: As with any protein, you could take this really anytime you would like. I took this only post-workout in 16 oz. of skim milk.

Taste 8/10: I received the vanilla flavor and it was a bit light on the flavoring, which is fine for me. It was not overly sweet and tasted pretty close to the sample I received of NutraBio's Alpine Vanilla flavor, just a bit sweeter.

Mixability 9/10: I never had a problem with the mixing of this protein. It mixed fine with minimal to no clumping. The powder was really fine and just about mixed instantly.

I rated this a 9.5 for effectiveness because of how clean the profile is and did not affect me negatively in any way. A 100 calorie shake should fit into anyone's calorie allowance for the day if you are into counting calories. This powder helped to build muscle and strength, and slightly aided in recovery. This powder did exactly what you would expect with a protein powder all while having a great profile and containing over 6 g of BCAAs and 5 g of glutamine.

The protein takes a bit of a hit here. The two pound container costs about $50 plus any applicable shipping. This is on the pricey side for a protein powder, even though it was a high quality powder. They do offer a little bit of a savings if you order the bigger tubs ($180 for 8 pounds), but that is even expensive. Ryan from Body Shop stated in Pancow's review that they offer a 10% off coupon with the order of a powder for future purchases for returning customers. If they can get this protein closer to $40 or so and then offer that coupon I think they will be within the market average.

Side Effects

0 side effects for me.

Conclusion

I really liked this protein and have had nice results with their pre-workout, which I will be reviewing soon. This company is definitely on the right track and if they get to be more widely available to bring the prices down a little, I think they will be even more successful. Thank you Body Shop for the opportunity to try this and I will definitely be on the look out for future products.
  • Vanilla: 8/10

6.8
  March 3, 2016

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Supports Muscle Growth
  • Supports Recovery
  • Tastes Good
  • Mixes Well
  • A Bit Pricey

Before I start I want to thank Body Shop Nutrition for giving me the opportunity to review Pro Series Protein. This is the first product I have used from Body Shop Nutrition and I will compare this protein to others I have used in the past. During this review I was on a 5 day power-lifting program focusing on strength.

The main ingredient is 26g of protein derived from dairy (Milk) - 95% protein by weight which is higher than Whey Concentrate is around 90%. Overall there isn't much more in terms of ingredients other than lactase, artificial flavoring, salt and sucralose. The inclusion of Lactase is added to help with digestion. Body Shop Nutrition does a good job going over the profile of Pro Series Protein Vanilla: http://www.bodyshopelite.com/catalog/p-100006/pro-series-protein-vanilla

Added to the profile is
6.5g of BCAA's
3g of Leucine
5g of Glutamine

Taste - There are 3 different flavors and I received the Vanilla flavor. Overall this tasted great and didn't have an overwhelming taste from fillers and too much artificial flavoring. You could definitely tell it was made of milk protein but not in a bad way.

Mixability - There were no issues what so ever with mixability, clumping or settling. The consistency of the protein is very fine which allowed for great mixing.

Dosing - I followed the dosing protocol of mixing one to two scoops with 10oz of water after training. On non-training days I would have 1-2 shakes a day to keep up with my macros.

Overall this product worked solidly in terms of helping me with recovery, strength and hitting my macros. There were no digestive issues or bloating at anytime even with it being derived from dairy. In terms of recovery I noticed it helped with decreasing soreness while helping add muscle mass. When compared to other protein sources I've used, this was one of the best all around. I usually stick with Impact Whey due to the price per serving amount and could tell a difference.

You can find 30 serving tubs of Pro Series Protein on the Body Shop Nutrition website for $49.99. Your looking at paying around $1.67 per 1 scoop which is a bit high to me. Although the profile is really solid I can get more servings along with the same or more amount of protein per scoop in other products.

Side Effects

Conclusion

In conclusion this is a very very solid protein powder then helped in all aspects of recovery and muscle growth. The price is a bit high for me, if it was on sale I would definitely buy a tub or 2 trying the chocolate flavor. I want to thank Body Shop Nutrition for participating in the SR Troop Program and look forward to trying out their other products.
  • Vanilla: 8/10

February 17, 2016

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Supports Muscle Growth
  • Supports Recovery
  • Tastes Good
  • Mixes Well
  • A Bit Pricey

Hello SR! Back to review a pretty nice protein supplement that I'd say is up there with Nutrabio's whey protein isolate. I'd like to first thank Body Shop Nutrition for actually mailing out their product for me to review, and the SR TROOPs program for making the connection possible. I found this supplement to be of higher quality than alot of the protein powders available on the market, and this review explains what led me to come up with this conclusion.

I like to see a very short list of ingredients when it comes to the labels for protein supplements, and this supplement met my expectations. The primary ingredient is of course protein, which derives from dairy and is stated to be 95% protein by weight. I always like to have enough BCAAs and other amino acids in my protein content, so it was good to see what came along with each serving. I've provided the macro and amino acid content below per serving:

Protein: 26g
Carbs: Less than 1g
Fat: 0!
Total Calories: 100
Branched Chain Amino Acids (BCAA): 6.5g
Glutamine: 5g

These are the more common ingredients we see in protein supplements, so I feel describing what an amino acid is meant for is unnecessary. But I do want to state that another ingredient in this supplement is lactase, which is a digestive enzyme used to break lactose down into glucose. Basically it makes it easier for you to digest dairy based protein and convert it over to energy quicker. I've yet to notice any protein supplement of this nature digesting and working any faster, but my stomach always felt great after consuming this product.

Taste: The taste was pretty good and I have no complaints. I had the vanilla flavor (yet again) since chocolate protein supplements are too rich in taste for me now. The flavor I tried was more of a hint of vanilla, so I was pleased to not have another over-flavored protein powder.

Mixability: Pro Series Protein mixed great in both water and milk. I used it for making protein energy snacks and it went together with other food ingredients as well.

Dosing: I consumed 1 scoop (1 serving) every morning and then 1 scoop after training also.

It's always hard for me to state exactly how effective a protein supplement is in terms of being better than all others. However, I used Body Shop Nutrition's protein immediately following Nutrabio's, and I feel it worked just as well for muscle recovery after training. My body never really felt too sore and I know my muscles were happy to have the quality protein it provided. I've been using other supplements that are actually intended for muscular growth and strength, and feel this is a good supportive supplement to have.

The value is a tough one when compared to a similar protein supplement such as Nutrabio's. When it comes to retail value, Body Shop Nutrition is significantly cheaper by $15. They sell this on their website and Amazon for $49.99, and Nutrabio's costs $64.00.

However, I've almost always see Nutrabio's protein on sale for $39.99 while Body Shop Nutrition's is only being sold at one rate. This is pretty important because most consumers using supplements look for the better deals found. I've broken down the price per serving to be $1.67 each scoop being used.

Side Effects

No side effects at all for me!

Conclusion

It's always nice to see other protein supplements stepping away from the extravagant ingredient profiles and switching over to the bare minimum really needed to support muscle recovery and growth. Body Shop Nutrition's Pro Series protein is up there with the higher quality supplements, but I feel more store availability would be beneficial to start seeing lower prices that make it a better comparison in value to brands such as Nutrabio. I'd definitely recommend this supplement to anybody that wants a quality supplement that can be used for any diet since the carb and fat content are extremely low, and no other ingredients such as caffeine are placed within it.
  • Vanilla: 9/10