Trutein Reviews

By: Body Nutrition

ARTICLES

Protein > Blended Protein
Trutein is a Blended Protein Powder manufactured by Body Nutrition. It contains a blend of different types of protein and will promote lean muscle mass and fat loss.

Overall
Thanks to Body Nutrition for sending it out!
  December 13, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Price
  • Taste
  • Diverse Sources Of Protein
  • Digestive Enzymes
  • Digests Almost Too Fast

First off I want to thank Body Nutrition for letting us troopers have the chance to give this product a try. I had been looking into this company for awhile now and was rather interested in wanting to try them. I know awhile back I contacted them about wanting to try their products and in return would do a review for them but they were not interested in doing so at the time. Then finally I saw they decided to put a bunch of their products on the trooper list and knew I needed to give this a try. From time to time I like to change my protein up a little and go with a nice blended protein and that is just what this is and looked to be pretty good.

This is made up of a blended protein. You get a total of 25g of protein which is made up of Whey, Casein, and egg protein. You get 45% whey 45% casein and 10% egg whites. This is Gluten free no wheat or gluten ingredients (excluding Cookies & Cream, which contains wheat). You get a total of 5.9g of BCAA and 5.1g of glutamine. 2.7g Leucine, 1.5g Isoleucine, & 1.7g Valine for Muscle Synthesis & Recovery. This has Prebiotic fiber & enzymes
prebiotic inulin fiber & protease enzymes promote digestive health. This is low in carbs and sodium. They use no sugar or salt. The benefits of supplementing with both micellar casein and egg white alongside whey are their very different rates of absorption. While whey is quickly broken down within an hour, egg proteins are absorbed within 2.5 to 3 hours and micellar caseins are digested over the course of 7 hours. Taken together, this means that Trutein promotes stabilized total-body amino acid saturation to continually fuel muscle synthesis & recovery.

According to their website they have a total of 18 flavors to choose from but some of them I think are seasonal and not always available. This part was hard to decided on just one flavor since there were a lot of them I would have liked to try. I asked to try the shamrock shake flavor but was tolded that was a seasonal flavor and not available right now so I went with the chocolate mint flavor and that is what I was sent. I have had chocolate mint before in other brands but was never been over impressed with how it was. I thought I would give it another try since I do really like chocolate and mint together. WOW was this ever strong. They really nailed this on tastes for sure. I think the overall mint part was maybe a bit to strong in this and after awhile got kind of tired of the mint part being so strong. I will say you really have to like mint a lot because it is really strong in this. I did get a lot of after taste of the mint after I drank this which I did not always like so much. I do really like how they give you a really strong taste and don't give you a real water down taste at all. After knowing how strong this tasted I really wish I would have gone with a different flavor. The chocolate mint was not bad just a little to strong on the mint part and I think I would have enjoy some of the other flavors a lot more so.

This mixed really well and had not left residue or anything that was stuck to the bottom of my shaker bottle. I would do just one scoop after my workouts and that is all you need. You could also take this right away in the morning if you like because of the different kinds of protein in it. I did use it a few times right away in the morning before work.

Overall I thought this was really good on my stomach and never caused me any unwanted gut issues at all. This seemed to digest really well in my stomach and because of the digestive enzymes they use I think really helped that a lot. After I would take this I feel this really helped take away my appetite for awhile and kept me feeling more full like for awhile after taking it. Without the digestive enzymes in this I think it would have keep me feeling more full even a little longer. Also I felt like this always digested really quickly because I never had that feeling of this just sitting in my stomach for awhile before it would start to digest. So overall the way this digests and made my gut feel was really good and the digestive enzymes they use really help a lot I think.

While I was using this I did notice a good increase in my recovery and had a lot less issues with any soreness and my DOMs seemed to be way less. Since I have not been on this for a couple weeks now I can notice a big difference not being on it anymore so I know it did help me a lot on my recovery. Also I feel this helped keep my weight up a little more which I am ok with since I am trying to bulk a little more at the moment. Since being off this my weight has dropped a couple pounds or so. This will help you maintain a little more while using it which I do really like. I know some of my strength gains seemed to be a little better while I was using this. I did feel a lot better overall while using this and a lot more ready the next day. I have used a few different blended proteins in the past and I feel this was one of the better ones I have used in terms of effectiveness and how well it worked for me.

Looks like the only place I can find the 2lb container is on their own website and they want $36.95 for 27 servings. This I do think is a little high considering your only getting 27 servings. I would rather see this for around $30 give or take. You do have to realize that this is a blended protein and they tend to be a little more costly.

Side Effects

Nothing I noticed.

Conclusion

For this being a blended protein I feel it is one of the better ones out there and really works well. With the added digestive enzymes and fiber they use I feel it really helps make this a much better and more effective product. Also I give them big props on the taste factor and how well they make this taste. After using this and knowing how they flavor this I would really be interested in trying some of their other flavors. This is a product I would for sure recommend giving a try if your looking for a good blended protein. It would be nice to see a few more site carrying their product line. It's not to bad on price but can get a little pricey if you use it all the time. I would say go with the 4lb tubs instead of 2lb just because the price is a little better and will last you a bit longer. This is for sure a blended protein product I would be more than happy to use again when needed. I know after using this has got my interest in wanted to try some of their other products. Again I want to give a big shout out to Body Nutrition for making this product and letting me have the chance to give this product a try.
  • Chocolate Mint: 8/10

9.2
Thanks to Body Nutrition for sending it out!
  November 18, 2018

Cons:
  • Taste
  • Price
  • Diverse Sources Of Protein
  • Digestive Enzymes

Update 11/20/2018:
Yeah for as effective and delicious this is, the price is almost a steal! Definitely going to try out other flavors in the future!!

Update 11/20/2018:
Thanks bud. Yeah for as good as it was I was surprised at the price. Definitely a go to protein in the future when I need more!!

Update 11/20/2018:
Thanks bud. Yeah for as good as it was I was real surprised at the price. Could be a go too protein in the future!!
-----

A blended protein powder with some added extras to aid your digestion. Very well priced and tastes great. This is very effective for what you require from a protein powder.

39 years old and I lift 5 days a week, currently doing GZCL UHF 9 week. I like to keep a blended protein in my daily stack to take post workout, as it gives me my protein needs as well as keeps me from being too hungry until I eat breakfast. I have not tried anything from Body Nutrition before, so after researching some of their flavors and past reviews, I decided to give this a shot when it became available. Big thank you to SR and Body Nutrition for making this review possible.

Each 34g scoop nets you 120 Calories, 1g Fat, 20mg Cholesterol, 5g Carbs, 24g Protein, 105mg Sodium, and 100mg Digestive enzymes. I appreciate the sodium being at a low level as I have to watch my daily sodium intake and most blended proteins tend to have quite a bit.

The protein breaks down to 45% (10.8g) Whey, 45% (10.8g) Micellar Casein, and 10% (2.4g) Egg Whites. The protein is a blend of Pure Undenatured & Nonthermally Processed Milk Protein Isolate, Cross-Flow Nanofiltered Whey Protein Isolate, Ultrafiltered Whey Protein Concentrate, and Egg Albumen.

Besides the digestive enzymes you also get 2.5g Fiber here as well to help you with your daily fiber needs.

I think this is a pretty good profile for a blended protein, with the big points being the digestive enzymes, and the low sodium content. This can easily fit into your daily macros no matter what your goal is.

Taste: I recieved the CinnaBun flavor, and man it was delicious!! It tasted very close to an actual cinnabun, but a much healthier option. This was a treat and something I looked forward to driving home from the gym each day.

Mixability: This mixed very easily with water and milk. Just a couple of shakes in the shaker and you were off and drinking. This did not leave any weird residue or anything like that either.

Dosing: Its a protein so you take this as needed. I took one scoop post workout on training days and when I woke up on rest days.

The best way for me to judge a Protein's effectiveness is how it digested and if it kept me from being too hungry prior to me eating breakfast. The added digestive enzymes really go a long way in aiding digestion here. I had no issues in this department and this was one of the easiest digesting protein blends I have ever used. Most protein blends for me tend to sit in my stomach a bit and digests slowly, but this one digested as fast as a pure Isolate would for me. i am becoming a big fan of added enzymes for protein powders.

This did not keep me as full as other blended proteins, which I chalk up mainly to the digestive properties. I have about an hour gap between taking this post workout and eating breakfast, so this did its job in this aspect. However, some days I would get pretty hungry about a half hour in, but not starving.

Overall, digestion and taste wise this product is one of the best I have ever had in a blended protein, but keeping me full wise was about average. I was very happy with this run and it did everything that I needed it to.

The best price I could find this is at DPS Nutrition via Priceplow for $44.98 for 4lb (53 servings). That comes out to 85 cents a serving which is a pretty great price for what you are getting here. I believe this really has some quality ingredients, and with a price like that it is tough too beat.

Side Effects

None at all.

Conclusion

For a blended protein powder this truly does have a pretty great macro breakdown with low sodium. The added extras such as digestive enzymes and fiber really help this product to stand out in a flooded market. You can find this for a great price and it tastes amazing, so if you are in the market for a blended protein you should definitely give Trutein a shot. I highly recommend this product, and I will be trying the other flavors in the future.
  • CinnaBun: 10/10

November 10, 2013

Cons:
  • Taste
  • Price
  • Diverse Sources Of Protein
    TruNutrition Trutein

I first heard about Trutein from a friend, who told me about it was the best tasting protein he ever had, while also having a great nutrient profile. After a bad run with some rum raison flavored protein (the worst tasting thing I have ever ingested), I decided to buy this with the hopes that hype would be true.

-------

Formula 9.0/10

------
    Trutein is composed of 40% whey, 40% casein and 20% egg whites mostly from isolates. While the company advertises that they formula of the product is completely divulged and not hidden like other companies, there claim isn't entirely true. While they label the ratio of whey to casein to egg white, they do not divulge the amount of each component of whey, casein, and egg (milk protein isolate, milk protein concentrate, egg, whey isolate, whey concentrate). While I believe that protein is protein, and the type of source is not all that important, it still is odd that the company is not as transparent as they advertise.

Each serving contains 23g protein, 5g carbs (2.5g fiber) and 1.5g fats. This is comparable or better than many other protein powders in Trutein's price bracket.

Trutein also contains several other added nutrients, but not in any significant amounts.

I believe the best aspect of the protein blend isn't necessarily the differing speeds of digestion, but rather that you are ingesting more diverse sources of protein. I know that if all my protein powder is whey or all egg, I will get bad gas and an upset stomach (I take 4 scoops a day, I would rather get all that protein from food, but I am limited due to several circumstances). However, with this blend I did not get this at all, and I attribute it to the diversity of the powder.

Taste/Mixability 9.5/10

-----
    I purchased the Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup flavor and enjoyed it thoroughly. After going through 10 lbs. of another brand's disgusting rum raison protein powder, I was looking for something I would actually look forward to drinking. Trutein was almost like a reward for finishing a tough workout. The texture of the product was wonderful, it has the perfect amount of thickness, and easily mixed in my shaker. Definitely the best tasting protein I have ever had.

Effectiveness 9/10

------
    Trutein supplies me the protein I need, and keeps me full for a little bit longer than other protein powders. I believe that supplement timing is largely inconsequently to recovery and body composition, as long as you are meeting your macronutrient requirements and are not going hungry for long period s of time.

Value 8.0/10

---
    Trutein is $54.00 for 5 lbs. on bodybuilding.com, which is pretty average in comparison to other protein powders. It is about the same as ON Gold Standard and Phase8, so I'd say its a pretty good deal given its taste and ingredient profile.

----

Overall 9/10

------
    I really enjoyed this protein, it was delicious, while not having too many carbs and fats in it. If I had to compare it to another protein it would Syntha 6. However, I do believe that Trutein holds the advantage due its better nutrient profile and slightly better taste (they both taste amazing). I would recommend this protein to anyone who is tired of terrible tasting protein powders, anyone that gets gas problems from single source proteins, or just anyone that is in the market for protein powder.

August 19, 2013

Cons:
    • Taste
    • Price
      I find Trutein to be an excellent product for my needs. Let me say I'm not a professional body builder, I just started working out to drop fat a while back. I've used protein powders as a way to push carbs out of my diet. So, for my needs, I'm pretty much going to stick to the cheaper protein supplements.

After doing a bit of reading and research I discovered that most of the protein supplements sold at grocery stores, box stores, and discount clubs is trash. I had to find a better product. I'm sure having separate mixes for whey, micellar casein and egg white is critical for a true, world class, bodybuilder; but that's just not me. I just want a simple one-mix product. For me that product is Trutein.

In last 3 months, I've used 3 5lb tubs of Trutein in 3 different flavors. All 3 flavors have been great. Also, Trutein mixes well even in a shaker bottle.

In the end I'm certain there are better, more advanced products than Trutein. But I don't believe those products will make a significant difference towards my goals. I find Trutein to be a delicious, cost effective product that is head and shoulders above the "whey concentrate" products at the grocery store.

May 8, 2013

Cons:
      • Taste
      • Price
      • Somewhat Expensive
      I am the type of person that will buy protein after protein in search for one that I can drink on a regular basis and be pleased with it each time. Trutein Cinnabun is one of those proteins. I try to take a blend when I wake up and before bed when I am going all in. Hopefully my first review is helpful.

-Taste 9/10: I love the taste of the cinnabun, I have let multiple friends try it and they seem to agree. I usually mix mine with half water and half skim milk, and the taste is still amazing. I gave it a 9 and not 10 because I believe there is always room for progress

-Effectiveness 8/10: I give it an 8 due to the fact that I have gains and make progress, but I also take other supplements with it. However this protein does help me feel full for a decent amount of time after taking it.

-Mixability 8/10: At times it can seem somewhat thick and there are some occasions I have minor clumps in it, which I just eat because it taste good. I also believe it may be due to the fact of protein to liquid ratio might be a little high.

-Value 8/10: I usually get the 5lb container from lockout supplements but when they are out I order from nutraplanet. The price is less than 1$ a serving and for a protein that is so enjoyable to drink it boost its value to me. I would prefer a few more grams of protein, but the calorie to protein ratio is good in my opinion. As stated in the first review the ingredients make the percentage of the blend seem a little fishy.

I plan to continue using Trutein, however like I stated previously I am on a journey through the Protein tasting land and refuse to stop, so I will also be trying other proteins, but this one will stay at the top of my list for a long time.

November 4, 2012

Cons:
      • Taste
      • Price
        Product: TruNutrition(TN) Trutein
        Claims to Fame: Label Integrity, High Quality Isolates, Taste

Claim: Label Integrity/Full Disclosure/No Label Dressing
        Verdict: Fail

TN goes to great lengths to boast that their protein proportions are not hidden in a proprietary blend and the consumer has full disclosure of all ingredients, no pixie dusting, yada, yada, yada. However, as the section on formula will explain, while their disclosure is better than most companies, TN still does not hit full disclosure and gets more than a bit creative in its marketing.

It also touts additives such as omega-3's and nucleotides that simply aren't included in amounts to be efficacious. Yes, they tell you that you get 75mg of Omega-3's from flax and chia but the average person doesn't realize that a single fish oil cap gives you 3-5 times that amount.

Claim: Primary protein sources are high quality isolates
        Verdict: Unknown

TN claims isolates are the primary source of protein in Trutein and that they come from 3 different sources: whey, micellar casein and egg. However, they use both blends of milk isolate+milk concentrate and whey isolate+whey concentrate in the prop blend so we really don't know the exact ratios of isolate vs concentrate. It could be true, but then why even add the concentrates? (Hint: cost)

Claim: Fantastic Taste
        Verdict: Absolutely

-------

Formula 7.0/10

------
        Trutein is advertised as 40% whey, 40% casein and 20% egg whites, primarily from isolates. That doesn't totally jive with the ingredient label which list the proteins as a more complex prop blend called Trutein Protein Blend (milk protein isolate, milk protein concentrate, egg, whey isolate, whey concentrate) . So while they do divulge the overall ratio, they don't come right out and tell you the individual proportions of each component. If we take the 40/40/20 ratio and compare it against the prop blend we can deduce that it's more like 40%(milk isolate+ milk concentrate),20% ( egg albumin),40% (whey isolate+whey concentrate). Although I find it interesting that whey is listed last as this normally indicates the least abundant ingredients and since it's after egg, which is 20%, that means each of these is no greater than 20%. The 40% whey is most likely because milk proteins are 80% micellar casein and 20% whey and the whey from the milk proteins adds to the whey isolate and whey concentrate to give it a combined total of 40%. However, this still means that the 3 most abundant proteins are relatively slow acting.

Each 34g scoop contains 23g protein, 5g carbs (2.5g fiber) and 1.5g fats. This results in an overall protein percentage around 68% which is low for me but seems to be rather standard with many of these entry level blends.

Trutein's formula also includes 75mg of Omega 3's from flax and chia (insignificant), 20mg nucleotides (no freakin idea why) and 100mg of protease enzyme (bit on the high side- could be to counter poor digestion of concentrates but who knows). There's also some oat starch and other lesser ingredients that I won't cover.

The bottom line here is that for each 34g scoop you probably get around 9g casein, 5g egg, 9g whey, 5g carbs, 1.5g fats and 4.5g other materials. Personally due to the way that casein releases its aminos equally over time I think that the egg is a bit redundant. There are other benefits to including egg protein but frankly eating real eggs gets you further and I'd rather have those 5 grams added to the whey category to give the front end aminos a bit more punch. Also please note that this is just ivory tower conjecture and in the bigger picture means relatively little at the end of the day when taken in context of overall protein intake.

Taste/Mixability 9.5/10

-----
        I purchased the CinnaBun flavor and loved it. It's definitely a dessert type flavor and a bit on the sweeter side so some people might find it a bit much to use day in and day out. The cinnamon smell is strong and the consistency is milk-shake like – not the creamiest that I've ever had but better than most. I normally use milk or almond/coconut blend as my liquid but I also tried it with water and it's enjoyable either way. Maybe it's because I'm so used to the more bland flavorings and thin texture of Muscle Feast but this tasted just fantastic. It mixed well in a shaker bottle with minimal clumping or grittiness despite the prevalence of casein. You could probably just dump this in a glass and use a spoon.

Effectiveness 7.5/10

------
        Ok, for those of us without a lab, rating a protein is totally subjective. If I get gas and/or poor recovery, then I rate it as a poor quality protein. I got neither of these from Trutein. Recovery did not suffer. Although I said earlier that I believe the entire day's protein picture is more important than just the post workout window, I still prefer to employ some brotastic reasoning and go with a higher percentage of a faster acting protein post workout, so I'm not sure I would recommend this if you're first meal of the day is your post workout shake. I don't have a problem with including casein post workout, in fact I prefer that, but I prefer it in an isolate/casein blend so the inclusion of the concentrates is a negative for me personally.

However this is an excellent choice for all other times of the day or a straight utility protein. It would also make a great MRP or gainer type base and I loved it when I used it to make sludge. I find it to be noticeably higher quality overall than many of the inexpensive whey concentrate blends that seem to be popular these days.

Value 8.0/10

---
        You can get this from Lockout for $44.95 for a 5 lb tub. That's 67 servings for roughly .65 cents per serving - pretty damn affordable. I actually find it very similar in quality, taste and texture to iForce Protean; both are the same price but you get an extra pound with Trutein. And it's far superior to the new entry product from Optimum Nutrition, Performance Whey.

Personally I prefer to pay an extra $15-$20 dollars to get pure micellar casein and whey isolate but I also like to keep a blend like this on hand for sludge and smoothies so I think it certainly has value.

----

Overall 7.5/10

------
        I've got no complaints with this product's quality and results. While it simply doesn't live up to its marketing hype (surprise, surprise), I still believe this to be a solid high quality choice as a basic entry level protein, especially if taste is an important factor. All "Consumer Reports" analysis aside, this stuff gave me acceptable results and tasted great at an affordable price. It's not the top of the line but that's why TN offers their Wheyology (80% protein) and Iso-ology (88% protein) products.

If you're a recreational lifter or just working out the basics of training and nutrition then this product is just fine as your protein supplement. If you're more advanced (translate: obsessed) then there are better choices such as Ultra Peptide or Muscle Feast Premium Blend that deliver the promised functionality in a higher quality product.