Iso-ology Reviews

By: Body Nutrition

Protein > Whey Protein
Iso-ology is a Whey Protein Powder manufactured by Body Nutrition. It is a dairy based protein that supports lean muscle gain by suppling additional protein to recovering muscles, which can also improve fat loss.

Overall
Overall

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Good Recovery
    We tend to get a bit blas̩ about what protein supplements can or cannot do for you, but for me, I choose protein supplements the same way that I choose protein at the grocery store - it's all about the quality and their role in supporting my training goals. I don't buy the cheap 70% hamburger, so why would I buy 70% whey? And depending on how you calculate it, this is either 82-90% protein. Now don't get me wrong Рthere are some very good whey concentrate blends and growth formulas out there (RCSS, Cellucor, MTS) but there are far more that merely are looking to make a higher profit margin by pixie dusting with whey isolate as the very last ingredient or adding maltodextrin into the mix. This isn't one of them.

Iso-ology is leucine enhanced whey isolate. I'm not sure whether TruNutrition Sciences would consider this or Trutein its flagship product, but this one is my personal favorite.

Formula: 9/10
    34g per scoop, 67 scoops per tub
    120 calories
    1.5g fat
    2.5g carb
    28g protein

Non-thermally processed nanofiltered whey isolate (a bit of marketing right there) + l-leucine (and the usual list of flavoring and mixing agents such as gums and lethicin). It's also got a protease enzyme to help with digestion.

Basically it's one of the more simple formulas out there with 28 grams of isolate and 2.5 grams of added l-leucine per 34g scoop. (For a total of 5g of l-leucine per scoop) That's not too shabby. And the macros tend to be in line with the ingredient list (which isn't always the case with all brands).

Taste&Mixing: 10/10
    TNS has got flavors down cold. They seriously excel at the more aesthetic aspects of formulating a protein. It mixes very smooth in both milk or water with no grit or clumps. Flavor is not overpowering. I use the chocolate peanut butter cup or vanilla. Man, this stuff mixes great in a shaker cup.

While I will not go into a science review of the anabolic effects of l-leucine post workout, I will say that there is strong enough evidence in my opinion to support using this to achieve a similar anabolic/insulinogenic response that one would normally get from simple carbs post workout without the blood sugar issues. Now one could argue that you would get half of the total leucine from the whey alone, and that is absolutely correct, but in my way of thinking the doubling of the amount is a very positive factor and matches the recommendation of 1g l-leucine per 50lb of bodyweight. Given the lean macro profile I find this to be an ideal protein for first thing in the AM (since I prefer to wait till later in the day for carbs) or post workout. I have no digestive issues when using this and recovery is on par with my other favorite - Muscle Feast Premium Blend.

It can play a lot of roles due to the absence of major carbs or fats and you can always add those macros into the mix when needed. For example, its not uncommon for me to use 1 scoop of this with 1 scoop of Muscle Feast Premium and then add whatever carbs or fats that I may want.

This is a solid, top-shelf choice for a straight whey protein isolate. There is nothing too terribly fancy other than the addition of l-leucine to high quality whey isolate. I highly recommend you give this a look if you are someone who prefers pure isolates over whey concentrate blends, or even if you are someone who does use the high end blends and/or more expensive choices out there. For your money, I think you will be quite pleased and perhaps a bit surprised.

• lava135
      April 22, 2013

Dammit. The end of this is all fubar with the Value section being overwritten by the Overall. Value is .82 per serving which is quite good.

• ron
      April 22, 2013

Good review Lava. One point id like to bring up is Leucine's ability to raise insulin levels independent of blood sugar levels. after learning this i stopped supplementing leucine in my morning protein drink. thought you might want to know this as you desire no carbs in the morning. This data was obtained from the Carb Back Loading book written by John Keifer.

• chichistrong

Excellent review

• lava135
      April 22, 2013

Thanks guys. Good point Ron and JK tends to be a pretty intelligent dude.

• VonBoom
      April 22, 2013

Great review. My only nitpick was going to be the cost...which you addressed in the comments. Good job!