Vegan Protein Reviews

By: BN Labs

Vegan Protein is a Plant Protein Powder manufactured by BN Labs. It is a common vegan-alternative to dairy and other animal based proteins. It supports lean muscle gain by supplying protein to recovering muscles and can enhance fat loss.
6.2

November 23, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • No Soy
  • Organic Ingredients
  • Hard To Mix
  • Clumps Everywhere

First and foremost I would like to thank BN Labs for sending me out their product so I could try it and review it for you guys. I would also like to thank SR for providing me the opportunity and the tools so that I can share with you guys my experience.

I'm a big fellow that needs to consume a lot of protein per day. I usually rely on milk(whey) protein to supplement my needs but I figured why not try something else for a change. When I noticed this protein being offered I thought to myself why not give it a try. Who knows I might like it so much I might turn vegan ... I do have a heart and even though I love meat I wouldn't mind trying to consume less of animal products. The industry is horrible at treating those animals so I figured I contribute ...

First I'll go over the sources of the protein which are ... Organic Pea Protein, Organic Brown Rice Protein, Organic Hemp Protein, and lastly Organic Spirulina) ... everything except soy ... great! Unfortunately, we don't know what percentage of the type of protein you getting so it's a guess. It would be nice if that was provided on the label or on the website.

Now the Macros per scoop:

140 Calories not bad ..
3.5 grams of Fat ... that's weird ...
No cholesterol ...
3 grams of Carbs where 1 gram is Fiber
and finally the good stuff ... 28 grams of Protein!

I got the Chocolate Fudge flavor and here is what I have to say about it ...

So I tried this with almond milk ... bad idea ... than I tried water like they suggested, better ... so with almond it's a 1 with water it's a 2 in a rating from 1 awful to 10 yummy! ... I always did a spoon per 14oz like they have suggested. Put it all in my Blender Bottle and mixed it for 3 minutes watching my biceps grow ... To be honest it seems that even if I shook it until my arm fell off there would be still clumps left in the shaker ... and those clumps were not my favorite ...

They suggest you consume 1-3 times a day ... If I had to force myself to consume this more than once a day I would consider jumping of a cliff ... yeah it's that bad ... I'm really glad it is done and I'm over with ... I'm not going to describe the taste to you because I want to forget ... I'm sorry I just have nothing to say about it ...

Why they didn't add stevia to this product is unknown to me ... why they didn't add more maybe organic chocolate to this product is unknown to me. I'm just thinking of couple of things they could have done to make this better and still vegan. Who did their QA for taste? Are all vegans so tolerable to taste? Are all Vegan Proteins similar? Honestly, after this I'm not going to try and find out ... I will pass on any more vegan offerings ...

Protein is what protein does. This protein did not differentiate itself far from others. Although, it did make me feel fuller than some other whey proteins. I think it might have been from the fact that when I finished it I didn't feel like eating anything for a while ... It's suggested that you get a total of 6 grams of BCAA's which is not bad ... As for recovery I didn't notice anything less than I would from the standard protein I consumed.

So for a 2.6 lb tub you pay at amazon 47.49 ... that comes down to roughly 1.58$ per serving. That might be expensive but your getting a lot of protein from that serving. If it comes down to how much does one protein cost it's rounded to .056 cents. If you follow my other protein reviews you would know that standard protein usually runs an average for .04 cents a protein. So considering that the price in itself isn't that bad for organic vegan protein. I have looked at the best seller on amazon for vegan protein and it costs .053 per protein so you can get organic vegan protein for little cheaper.

Side Effects

When you drink this prior to working out be prepared ... it's hard to digest so you are going to have some nasty burps coming your way. Either take it after workout or give ample time for the protein to be digest before hitting the gym.

Conclusion

This isn't for me ... and if your not Vegan I'm assuming it's not for you either ... The price and the taste would deter anyone I know from buying it. I compared it with other organic vegan proteins and it's more expensive so the value keeps deteriorating ... I'm sorry but I'm going to have to give it a Meh and thank everyone for reading this ... I hope you appreciate the sacrifice I made for you :P. Please learn from my mistake ...
  • Chocolate : 2/10

Overall
Overall
3.0
3.0
  November 22, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Great Protein Per Serving
  • No Soy
  • Organic Ingredients
  • Does Not Digest Well

Shout out to the people at BN Labs for a chance to try their protein. All I knew about being a vegan was no meat. I was hoping to find something that would taste well enough to help me forget about bacon but this was not it.

Ingredients are nothing that this protein mix is short of. The tube did show the ingredients in 1/2 or 1 scoops, so for this breakdown, I will list it as 1 scoops.

Protein: 27 grams
Calories: 134
Carbs: 2 grams
Sugar: 0
Cholorestrol: 0

Good numbers. You can see that the protein amount is good and the other items are low compared to other protein mixes. Now, the interesting part, what is the protein blend? All the ingredients are natural and organic. The protein blend consists of vegan items like organic hemp seed, organic Spirulina powder, organic pea protein, and organic whole grain brown rice protein. Hemp seed is not weed and will not test positive for a background check. Differences exist between THC (weed) and other items found in the cannabis plant like hemp. With THC or marijuana eliminated from the cannabis, then you get different cannabis. Cannabis has shown many benefits such as relief from pain, more focus, and helps with the body healing and recovering. Hemp seed is also tied to weight loss, digestive benefits, and heart health. Spirulina powder is algae. Algae is high in protein and is found to have more protein than what is found in items like chicken and beef. Algae also have antioxidants. Pea protein is used as a substitute for dairy-like products. Pea protein helps with heart and kidneys. Whole grain brown rice has protein but does limit some of the amino acids found in the normal protein blend. Brown rice has some amino acids and high in natural vitamins. I enjoy rice but I am not a big fan of the brown rice and I usually go with a healthy white rice. This protein blend does not taste like rice. It also has organic cocoa, organic guar gum, natural flavors, organic coconut cream and organic stevia. This product is dairy free, 100% vegan, no GMO, soy free, gluten-free, and no artificial flavors. This is a healthy protein powder and helps many with any special diets or people looking for vegan items. This is a good protein blend with lots of beneficial items that give the body great alternatives to the common protein blends with dairy and meat based items. If you are on a strict diet for weight loss or you have allergies then this is a protein blend for you.

First, let us talk about dosing. It lists both half a scoop and one scoop. If you read the ingredients, the one scoop is where I want my protein shakes to get the amount of protein I am looking for. I usually do one scoop before a workout and another scoop after a workout. So, dosing wise pretty close to most other proteins shakes out there so a good ranking.

Second, mix-ability has I usually had problems. I had to use a lot of water or milk like products that are vegan to get the protein powder to mix. I would usually mix it with 12-16 ounces to get it where I like. No liquid item used seemed to make it easier to mix. At no point when I stirred did I ever get a good mix. You have to shake it pretty well to get a good mix and even then hard to mix. For mixability, I would give this a pretty low ranking.

Third, is the taste and I give it a bad ranking. At no point did I ever feel that the taste was good. I tried lots of liquids to improve the taste but was never able to get a good taste. No matter what liquid I used it would still leave me with a bad taste in my mouth. Even after taking it, for a few minutes to an hour I would get a nasty taste left in my mouth. Several times that I tried the protein shake I thought I was going to throw up. The smell was just as bad as the taste. I cannot say that this would happen for everybody, but this was me and I found it hard to take. I did try to mix it with some other normal proteins and was able to get a better taste but this defeats vegan protein. I always was left with my stomach feeling bad and was gassy. I was able to get it in the chocolate flavor but I never felt it had a chocolate taste to it.

As with other protein mixes, the effectiveness is difficult to break down since you are not going to get instant results. A good protein powder will help your body recover from a workout. This result was noticeable and the effect gives this protein a good rating since this vegan protein shake did do that. It had good ingredients and left me feeling refreshed after a workout. It was quick to have my body recover and it did not leave me feeling sore after workouts. Effectiveness, I would give it a good ranking. The vegan protein tub says it will help with digestive issues and it did keep me regular (which means I had normal and regular pooping).

This is an expensive product. I was able to find it online at $50 for a 2lb tub. Most protein powders can be found around $30-$40 for a 2lb tub. So this is a little high because it is $1.67 per serving when I am used to $1.00-$1.25 per serving. Because of all this, I would not give it a good value ranking.

Side Effects

I did have some stomach issues. Usually, after having a protein shake, I would have gas, nausea, and would need to go to the bathroom within an hour or 2. I have had some of the problems with other shakes, but this is worse than the rest.

Conclusion

The vegan protein has good ingredients and healthy. I do not have a problem with the ingredients. The problems I found was the bad taste and the side effects. I tried everything I could to make it taste better without adding other protein to it but was not able to. No matter what I mixed it with, always hard to consume. I cannot recommend this to anyone who is not used vegan products. Not bad ingredients, just bad taste. The problem I ran into with value ranking is knowing that this is something I would never buy even if I had the extra money. Because of the side effects and taste, I would give this product a low overall ranking.
  • Chocolate : 1/10

Overall
Overall
6.2
6.7
5.5
  November 18, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • No Soy
  • Organic Ingredients
  • Does Not Digest Well

Before I start I want to thank BN Labs for giving me the opportunity to review Vegan Protein. I don't claim to be a vegan or vegetarian, however I do like to try out new things. This is the first time I've tried a plant based protein powder. Vegan protein powders can get a bad rap with so many companies using soy as the main protein base. With 4 or so different plant protein sources without soy is what intrigued me into claiming this product.

The ingredient profile is fairly basic with one scoop containing: 140 calories/35 calories from fat, 3g Fat, 300mg Sodium, 2g Carbohydrates and 27g Protein. Protein features a blend of the following:
Organic Pea Protein Isolate: Pea protein contains roughly 90% protein by weight and very digestible - however the amino profile is weak.
Organic Brown Rice Protein: Comparable to Organic Pea Protein profile
Organic Hemp Protein: Hemp has a protein percentage of 30-50% by weight, more known for its other benefits-Fatty Acids & Mineral Profile.
Organic Spirulina Powder: Microalgae known more for its antioxidant & immune support.

Differences between different type of protein sources.

Taste: For this review I received the Caramel Latte flavor which is one of four currently available. There was a slight slight hint of a caramel mocha flavor however for the most part it didn't really have much of a taste. I can't say I looked forward to the taste after training but I need the gains.

Mixability: I noticed some clumping no matter if I used a shaker or stirred in a glass. The protein is pretty heavy by weight so i figured it would be ultra thick and that it was. It can be hard to swallow if you don't mix it good enough.

Dosing: For dosing I mixed one scoop with 8-10 oz of water after training. On non-training days I had one scoop first thing in the morning.

In terms of effectiveness I felt Vegan Protein was pretty good not great. With the good: filling my daily protein macro counts, felt full longer between meals/snacks (thickness). The bad: digestibility: I had a couple of stomach aches/issues. The stomach issues could be from the protein being plant based or just being thick. It was hard to judge if this really aided with my recovery/strength gains during the time of using this. Some days I felt like Vegan Protein helped in those areas and other days I didn't.

The cheapest value I could find was on Amazon for $48 (30 serving tub). On the BN Labs website they are selling tubs for $2 more ($50). Using the Amazon price each serving will cost around $1.60. If your not a Vegan or Vegetarian I wouldn't even think about paying that much. Maybe if the price was closer to $1 a serving I might might give it a try. Most organic foods & drinks cost a ton of money at specialty places.... I can see someone who is a vegan/vegetarian paying up so they aren't using soy.

Side Effects

Conclusion

In conclusion, there are two different ways to look at this. I believe this is a good option if you have dietary restrictions or consider yourself vegan/vegetarian. If you don't consider yourself in that regard its hard seeing someone paying up for plant protein. The ingredient quality is there (no soy), however the price, flavor, availability aren't. Once again I want to thank BN Labs for participating in the SR TROOP Program.
  • Caramel Latte: 2/10

5.6
5.1
  October 28, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Great Protein Per Serving
  • No Soy
  • Organic Ingredients
  • No Muscle Building

What's up guys Dr. G here for another review. This time I am reviewing a Vegan protein that intrigued me based on others' reviews on similar products. I saw this product available and pretty said "what the hell, lets see if it works". I think that overall this was a good product, but not great. I have never taken something like this and in ways I regretted it, but in others I think I would possibly give something similar another chance.

Protein Blend (Organic Pea Protein Isolate, Organic Brown Rice Protein, Organic Hemp Protein, Organic Spirulina Powder) (27g) - Pea protein isolate is a vegan style protein or for anyone who wants to avoid lactose in their diet. This may be especially useful for those who are lactose intolerant. One thing that I have read is that it is a very good ingredient if you want to make protein muffins, cookies, protein breads or even homemade protein bars. The Brown rice protein in this has been tied to many of the same benefits, but research has also suggested that it may help in fat loss and lowering cholesterol. What is the main difference between this protein and a regular whey isolate? Well mainly the ingredients but whey protein has more pros in boosting immune system, higher branched chain amino acid, and supports detoxification. Pros of vegan protein are the lack of dairy in the product as well as it is easier to digest. The cons of vegan protein are it is not ideal for muscle building, and the taste (of course!).

Taste was poor, which is to be expected (I had Carmel Latte flavored). Mixability was just as good as any other protein I have tried. I used it in my shakes in the morning which was mixed in a blender. Most of the time I used soy milk to mix it with as well as with fruits, this masked the taste a bit. I did try it once in a blender bottle with water which mixed fine, but tasted like my grade school's white chalk, gross. One scoop of this protein was 36g and normal size for what I am used to.

Overall effectiveness was "meh" a solid 6/10. I definitely think that it was giving me the protein I needed to sustain muscle, but didn't notice much as far building muscle. This makes complete sense since it really is not ideal for building muscle. Luckily during the time I took this product I was aiming for fat loss. I think it played a role in reducing the amount of diary I was taking in which helped my overall health. Since I am mildly lactose intolerant it was evident that my bowel movements were dramatically reduced. Sometimes when I take regular protein I get a mild upset stomach so that was definitely a plus for me. I felt a lot "healthier", I guess that is the word I would use, while taking this. I am assuming that the ingredients played the largest role in this feeling. Having a plant based protein helped me detox, and I noticed this the most when I transitioned to the Vegan protein as well as transitioned to a regular whey based protein. Overall I would not recommend this if you are trying to build muscle, but worth a go if you want to feel overall healthier.

On the BN Labs website the same tub of protein costs $49.99 which is pricey for a 2lb tub of protein. I am assuming make this supplement costs more because of the ingredients. I searched on Amazon.com and I found that it was the same price.

Side Effects

Conclusion

Based on my experienced with this protein I think it is a good choice for those who truly need vegan protein. For me and probably many of you without dietary restrictions I would recommend sticking to the Whey protein. I would say this for two reasons, most men like to build muscle and then recover properly. Whey has the amino acid content you need as well as the proper grams of protein. As always Live happy and Live healthy.
Dr. G signing off.
  • Caramel Latte: 4/10

October 18, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Great Protein Per Serving
  • Organic Ingredients
  • No Soy

I have tried a few plant based proteins in the past, but never stuck with them since whey is almost always cheaper. Now, I am kind of toying with the idea of going vegetarian and cutting out any meat products and dairy. Over the past couple years, I have drastically cut down on my meat and milk consumption and I am really considering cutting them out completely from my diet.

BNLabs has created a fully organic, plant based protein without the inclusion of soy. Many plant based proteins today include soy, which I am not a fan of at all. I have jumped on the organic trend probably three years ago, so I liked that this is fully organic and certified by a third party. Supplements are probably the only thing I do not consume organic and that is just because there really is not a big market for organic supplements. That is why I have tried to stay away from products with low-quality/artificial ingredients and fillers. What I like most about this protein is that it contains 27g of protein per scoop. That is more than just about every other dairy-based protein that I have tried over the years. A big knock on plant based proteins is that they do not have a good amino profile or are not a complete protein. Well BNLabs uses four types of vegan protein sources (pea, brown rice, hemp, spirullina) to give a nice amino profile. It is a bit higher in calories and fat content than a good whey protein, but that is not really a big deal to me.

Taste 6/10: I received the caramel latte flavor and was not the biggest fan of it. It was not gross to me, but it smelled a lot better than it tasted. I strictly mixed this is water though, so take that into consideration. Maybe if it is mixed in an almond milk it may taste better. I probably would opt for a chocolate flavor in the future. BNLabs advertises that this is a grit free formula and if you have tried other plant based proteins before you would know that it is pretty grainy, similar to casein proteins back in the day. I would agree that this does not have that grainy texture and is pretty smooth. You can definitely tell it is not whey, but this is way more palatable.

Mixability 8/10: This is a pretty heavy protein and is not as light as whey protein is. However, it mixes pretty well for the most part and there is a minimal amount of clumping if you shake it well enough.

Dosing 9/10: Their recommendation is consume 1-3 scoops per day. I would stick to one since it is a bit pricey.

I thought that this was just as effective as any quality protein supplement. It was just as effective as whey aiding in recovery and I would say that it left me feeling satiated a lot more than whey. It is a lot thicker of a powder and that helped keep me full longer. The 27g of protein is a big selling point especially to those who are vegan because it is obviously a bit harder to meet your protein needs. Never had any issues digesting it.

This is pretty expensive and probably only appeals to a niche market. It can be found on Amazon for just about $50. At 30 servings, that equals $1.67 a serving. This is a lot more expensive than a whey protein where most quality proteins are about $1 a scoop, so if you do not care about going vegan, this is not for you. However, if you are a vegan and you want to stay away from cheap soy as well as finding an organic protein, than this is not too bad of a price.

Side Effects

Conclusion

I liked this protein and will definitely consider it in the future, although I will be choosing another flavor. This probably will not appeal to a lot of you on this site and I get that, but that does not make it a bad protein and for the quality in here, it is not an awful price. Thank you to BNLabs for sending this out!

5.5
  October 5, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Great Protein Per Serving
  • Does Not Digest Well

38 years old and I lift 4 times a week, and try to do conditioning 2-3 times a week. I have a buddy who is lactose intolerant and started to ask me for alternative protein supplements outside of Whey. I realized I had never tried any Vegan type protein before, and about a week later I saw BN Labs offering up their Vegan Protein. So I thought I would round myself out as a supplement reviewer and give it a shot. Thank you to BN Labs and the TROOPer program for this opportunity.

Each Serving (36g Scoop) contains 134 Calories, 2g Total Fat, 2g Total Carbohydrates, and 27g Protein. All in all not a bad macro profile here at all for a protein supplement. The Protein consists of a blend of Organic Pea protein Isolate, Organic Brown Rice Protein, Organic Hemp Protein, and Organic Spirulina Powder. So now you can see why this is a vegan protein. Pretty simple and straight forward, not much else to say here. It is nice to get 27g of Protein per scoop outside of a Whey Protein source. If you are looking for an alternative protein source to supplement then this one is Non-GMO, Soy-Free, and Gluten Free on top of being Vegan. (9/10)

Taste - I recieved the Caramel Lattle flavor. I was not a big fan of this at all. Some days I would absolutely hate it, other days I would like it, it really came down to my mood that day. Ultimately the taste is something different than I normally try for a Protein powder. It is not terrible, but was not great either, I would say just below average in the Protein world today. (5/10)

Mixability - This is where the protein got a little tricky. The powder would appear clumpy, but wouold mix right in with my shaker. However, I usually make my shake let it sit for a few minutes and sip on it for about 10 minutes. When I would let it sit longer than 30 seconds everything would start to settle on the bottom, and I would always have to re-shake it quite a bit to keep it mixed. I imagine this protein is designed for a blender maybe, but I never tried that. So make sure you keep shaking this guy and there would always be sediment at the bottom of the shaker cup upon completion. (7/10)

Dosing - The directions call to take this 1-3 times a day, obviously this all boils down to your diet and your actual protein supplement needs. I took this pre and post workout most days. One scoop each dose, no real issues here.

So I always rate my protein supplements based on digestion and how well it satisfies hunger.

Digestion - This did not seem to digest very well for me. After every dose, I would feel it sitting in the bottom of my stomch for about 10 minutes so it was slow to digest. Its possible it could be my body is not used to the protein source, but no change after a month of use. As well, I would find myself having to go to the bathroom after most doses another indicator it was not digesting well for me. Also, when I first started to take this protein it would give me some pretty bad gas, I think that was my body adjusting, but something to be aware of.

Hunger - This did satisfy hunger about on par with any other whey protein source I have taken. I could go about an hour or so without being hungry again which is typically the standard for me when taking a protein powder or bar supplement. Most times I was left with a slight stomach ache after taking this, so that could play a big part why I was not exactly starving after!

For recovery its hard to tell since I do take a separate BCAA source. I honestly did not notice a difference in recovery though not even in the slightest when taking this. Ultimately, I had a hard time getting through this protein powder. It may be due to me just not being used to alternative protein sources, but really it was tough for me to digest. (6/10)

I understand the marketing behind this since Whey Protein is widely available while Vegan Protein is not as much. Best I could find this was for $49.92 for 30 servings on Amazon. That comes out to $1.66 a serving. That is pretty steep in my opinion, even if this is a specialty protein blend. End of the day its just Protein and people can get around this by eating whole foods. So once you hit that threshold of over a dollar a serving, to me it gets crazy. So yeah, pretty steep price, for a protein that does not digest very well. (5.5/10)

Side Effects

You may experience bad gas once you start to initially take this until your body gets used to it. On most doses I would have some minor GI issues, which I never like to see in a protein. As well, you may experience a stomach ache. These were my experiences, and I realize that everyone is going to react differently.

Conclusion

Overall, if your choices are limited due to allergies, this is a clean protein source with a pretty nice ingredient profile. I like the 27g of Protein per dose, that is great. The true effectiveness in digestion falls short for me, so I am likely not going to try this again. I appreciate the opportunity to give this a shot though!
  • Caramel Latte: 5/10