Ultimate Whey Isolate Reviews

By: BN Labs

Protein > Whey Protein
Ultimate Whey Isolate is a Whey Protein Powder manufactured by BN Labs. It is a dairy based protein that supports lean muscle gain by suppling additional protein to recovering muscles, which can also improve fat loss.

February 11, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Added Velositol
  • Clean Profile
  • Slightly Expensive

Today's review is on BN Labs Ultimate Whey Isolate. Now, I usually have plenty of protein powder sitting around, but what got me interested in this product was a particular ingredient. The industry has introduced some great new ingredients recently, such as Peak o2, Dynamine, Nitrosigine... the list goes on. Here, we have Velositol, another one of these new patented ingredients.

To start, it's a whey isolate. BN Labs uses Ion-exchange whey. In the past, I've bashed ion-exchange whey, as there are concerns that the process actually denatures the whey. There was actually a discussion about this years ago https://supplementreviews.com/forum/index.php?topic=12456.0

I'm not going mark them down any points on this however, as I haven't looked into it in a long time, and the protein could actually be better than I once thought. It is BiPro, which claims to be much better/gentler way to make whey isolate.

Out of 30 grams, 27 of it is protein. So 90% protein. It is a very clean protein, only one carb and zero fat per serving. Doesn't get much better than that. Looking at the entire profile, there are no fillers, which is great to see

The Velositol has research showing it to double protein synthesis. Check it out on this website: https://velositol.com/what-is-velositol/
Obviously I'm going to be a bit skeptical of some of the claims. However, reading into it, it looks like something you would have to take for a long time to actually notice any benefit from. Either way, it is nice to see BN Labs using new ingredients that actually coming from quality manufacturers. The days of companies using random herbs that no one has ever heard of (cough USPLabs cough) seem to be behind us.

I had the vanilla flavor, and I found it quite enjoyable. I would say it tasted kind of like vanilla pudding. Nothing too special, but tasty either way. The powder smells like cardboard however, just thought I'd mention that.

It mixes very well, no real clumps to speak of. Lack of fat and carbs surely helps here. It is a bit frothy, but nothing that ruins the product.

You're not going to notice much out of a protein powder. With that said, there are still ways to judge the effectiveness, one being how well it digests. With this being an isolate, digestion is easy.

I don't really think you're going to notice much from Velositol either. Even with all the great claims, and research behind it, you're not going to notice more out of this protein powder vs most other isolate proteins out there. I didn't notice any major differences in my body, but again, natural muscle building is a slow, long-term process, where even the best protein powders won't give you crazy noticeable results. I took this post-workout, and I can't really comment on recovery, as I feel so much goes into faster recovery.

Either way, it is another way to add protein to your daily macros without taking away from your carbs and fats. When you're in a deficit, you know the pain of a protein powder taking away from your precious fat macros.

You can get this for $45 off of the BN Labs website, so $1.50/serving. It is a bit more expensive that some other whey isolates I have used. MAN Sports Iso-Protein, which is also a very high quality protein can be found for as low as $1.28/serving. However, that protein does not have Velositol in it, so the additional cost may prove to be not so bad, depending on how good Velositol really is.

Side Effects

Conclusion

BN Labs Ultimate Whey Isolate is a high quality product with an interesting new ingredient. With such a high protein percentage, this makes it optimal for a cut. If Velositol turns out to be the powerhouse it claims to be, which time will tell, it may be one of the best protein powders on the market.

The taste is good, the mixability is good, the velositol is interesting. If you have extra money to dish out, give this a shot, especially if you are one of those people who take post-workout nutrition seriously.
  • Vanilla: 8/10

January 29, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Added Velositol
  • High Protein

Hey, hey folks. I'm here today to review another outstanding quality protein that I got through the TROOP'er Program. Big shout out to BN Labs and SR.com for partnering together. You guys ROCK! I, just like the rest of you, use a TON of protein throughout my months so anytime I get a chance to sample some that I haven't heard of before I jump at it. When it is a Whey Isolate, I jump higher :) Whey Isolate is a great way to feed your muscles first thing in the morning and immediately after your workouts. Doesn't do much for meal replacements. The reason I say that is, if you're a newbie you might think that it's ok to just drink these as meal replacements. It's not. I was in the middle of my cut while taking this so it did what I hoped it would for me.

90% Protein!! Shout out to BN Labs for stating that upfront. I don't know too many that do that. A scoop weighs 30g's, if you're counting your protein by weight rather than g's of protein. Each scoop has 110 calories, 0 fat, 1 carb, 0 sugar, 0 fiber, and 27g's of P. That also caught be by surprise because I don't usually expect that in a one scoop. 23-25 is the normal range. Another bright spot was the 7g's of BCAA's and 5g's of Glutamine per serving. That's big to me because I like each to help aide in recovery.

I had to do a little research on Velositol and BiPro. Velositol is an ingredient that BN Labs put in it to enhance muscle protein synthesis. This makes the protein even more beneficial if used around workout time, in my opinion. According to my research, whey protein isolate (WPI) is the first of a new generation of dairy ingredients, which combine superior nutrition, enhanced functionality, complete solubility, and neutral flavor. BiPRO is a completely natural, unique dairy protein produced from pasteurized whey through proprietary selective ion exchange technology.

BN Labs sent me salted caramel. I can't say anything bad about the taste. I enjoyed it. Didn't have a bad aftertaste either.
Mixability- Seem to mix well. I did notice a little frothiness, but that's what I've come to expect with protein shakes.
Dosing- Pending what your macros call for you can do 1-1.5 scoops. I don't know many that would want to do two. I did one some days at breakfast and one after each workout.

As I have stated before, it's really hard for me to judge protein on anything other than "Am I more sore the next day than I normally am?" and "Does it make me gassy?" Simply put. No and No. I noticed a slight increase, actually, in recovery. I'm not sure if it was my body or my nutrition, but I think I can attribute it a little to the protein as well.

I found it on their website for $44.99. That's better than what I thought it would be. I was expecting $50+. It's still above some of the other solid whey isolates I've found and you would actually have to go look for this if you wanted it. This will deter some, like myself, from buying it. If the price was in the $39.99 range I might rank this a little higher. Still not bad though.

Side Effects

Conclusion

In conclusion, I enjoyed taking this product by BN Labs. It helped me recover, tasted good, mixed well, and didn't make me gassy. Also, it has a solid ingredient profile. Everything about it appeals to me, but the price and the availability. Thanks BN Labs and SR.com for partnering together to do this I really appreciate it.
  • Salted Caramel: 8/10

5.5
  December 17, 2017

• Added Velositol

(About yourself, 1-3 sentences maximum) Like you may have seen in my previous review, I have used many different kinds of protein supplements over the years from concentrates, to isolates to natural or artificially sweetened, to plant and soy based powders. I usually use them to hit my protein numbers for the day and don't really care to much on the source of protein as long as it fits my numbers. Sometimes I prefer higher calories when I am bulking and sometimes I need less when I am cutting. Even though I am currently intaking more calories, a whey isolate is nice because it allows me to get more creative and liberal with flavouring my protein shakes. I often like to make protein milk shakes so with less calories, I can add more 'goodies' to my shakes. That is where Ultimate Whey Isolate from BN Labs came in.

Unlike Tasty Whey Deluxe's whey blend that I was using at the same time, this is a straight whey isolate powder. In fact, it is an instantized isolate 'BiPRO'. Right on the from of the container, it is stated that it is a 90% protein. Not all companies state the percentage of protein yield, so kudos to BN Labs for doing so.

Each 30g scoop contains:
110 calories
0g total fat
1g carbs
0g fiber
0g sugar
27g protein
As you can see, it is a very clean protein, excellent for those on low calories or restricted carbs. For having 30g in a scoop, 110 is pretty low for 27g of protein. These numbers would be difficult to find in other isolate sources. In fact, even Nutrabio's whey isolate only has 25g of protein for 110 calories, which is still excellent.

The ingredient list is as follows:
-Instantized Whey Protein Isolate BiPRO
BiPRO is an ion exchange process which allows the powder to be seamlessly mixed into the liquid. This is where the 'instantized" part comes from. It is the only source of protein used in this powder. Bing an isolate, it is quick digesting, not having any carbs or fats to slow the process down. It is an excellent source to take in and around training as it is quick digesting. Whey isolate is a high quality protein that many people use exclusively because of this factor.

The remaining ingredients are flavour and thickening agents. They are as follows:
Velositol: This patented ingredient is often used in conjunction with whey protein. It helps to enhance muscle protein synthesis. Therefore, it is a great addition to a protein powder that would be used to fuel up around training time.
- sea salt, Natural and Artificial flavor, xanthin gum, sucralose. These are pretty standard additions used to flavour and thicken protein powder. It is important to note that it is not a 'natural' protein. it has artificial flavours and sweeteners. Something to consider.

Like many other protein supplements, BN Labs does provide a typical amino acid breakdown per 100g of powder, which is nice. I never really even look at those things but it is important to some people. Here it is:

alanine 4.9g
threonine 4.7g
tryptophan 2.9g
tyrosine 3.6g
valine 5.6g

Taste: I have to start off by saying that the flavour that I tried was Vanilla. Now, I have nothing against vanilla, but it is not my go to flavour of choice. That being said, I kept an open mind as I have used some pretty good tasting vanilla proteins in the best, and some horribly chemical tasting ones. That being said, I really did not mind the taste of Ultimate Whey. I knew going in that it would not be packed with rich flavour as it is an isolate with great macros. It was however a pretty smooth stating protein with no chemical taste or after taste. It is however, pretty light on flavour. I found that mixing it with milk, 2%, was the way to go with this one. Almond milk or water simply did not provide enough creaminess to compensate for the light taste. In milk however, I found it to be quite enjoyable, Seeing as the calories are pretty low and I was not currently restricting my daily calories, I often found myself adding a tablespoon or two of whipping cream to my shakes. Obviously this enhanced the flavour quite a bit. The reason I mention this is because if the macros and calories were higher in the powder (like most others), I would not have been able to do this. That has to count for something. 7/10

Mixability:
I usually use a blender to blend my powder with liquid and ice, which works quite well with all powders. However, for the sake of this review, I did try a simple shaker cup a few times to see how it performed. I guess I would say that it mixed as expected. In comparing it to Tasty Whey, which I was using along side this one, I found it to be much easier to mix. Instead of needing the 20-30 seconds of shaking, I found that I usually only needed to shake a few times for get the powder to mix. So in this aspect, it was excellent.

Dosing:
Suggested use is to use one scoop (30g) of powder for every 5-6oz of liquid. This is a pretty small amount of liquid compared to others, but due to the light taste, I can see whey that is the suggestion. Each container has 30 servings but like I stated in my previous review, I often used this powder multiple times per day and even two servings at once. I often did this to strengthen the flavour and make a thicker shake. That being said, since I used this along side another protein powder at multiple servings per day, I found that it lasted me about 17-18 days. I usually weigh my powders and found that a full scoop contained more than 30g, but this is often the case with powders, which is why I always recommend weighing them out.

This section will be pretty similar to my other protein powder reviews as effectiveness of protein supplements are really difficult to judge. I don't look at them as muscle sparring or building miracles. I simply use them to hit my protein numbers for the day. Protein in itself is essential for muscle growth or preservations, depending on your goals. Whey protein is simply a way to ensure that you are getting an adequate amount for your specific body and goals. That being said, whey protein does have a high bioavailability, making it perfect to take in and around training, not to mention the conveniency. This is especially true of this product as it does contain Velositol. Having a straight isolate, with the Velositol, makes this product especially good for around training. Even though protein supplements are mainly used to reach protein numbers, this one is specifically designed to be taken around training time and would therefore be more effective than other protein sources that are not mainly isolate and that do not contain Velositol. For what it is, and for what I used it for, I would say that it is just as effective, if not more effective than any other protein powder that I have used around training. 10/10

The only location that I have found that carries BN Labs Ultimate Whey Isolate is from BN Labs website itself. That being said, it is quite expensive. Their list price is $59.99 for the 30 servings tub. This is very expensive, even as whey isolate products go. Even Nutrabio, which is known for higher prices, lists its Protein Isolate for $39.99. Dymatize Iso 100 can be had for $28, but for only 23 servings. Either way you look at it, this is quite a high price tag, but for a high quality product. I personally would pass on that price for something cheaper, even if it only contains 24-25g of protein per serving. If someone knows of a cheaper price somewhere for this product, I would love to know about it. 5/10

Side Effects

I haven't noticed any side effects. That being said, those who are sensitive to artificial sweeteners may want to read the ingredients carefully before deciding on this protein.

--Conclusion--
I think that Ultimate Whey Isolate is a very high quality protein isolate supplement. It has one of the best nutritional profile that I have seen on any protein supplement, but you have to be prepared to pay for it. Like all things, you get what you pay for. The bottom line is, it tastes good, can meet your goals and break your wallet all at the same time.
  • Vanilla: 7/10