HMB Sport Reviews

By: Blonyx

Amino Acids > BCAA/EAA
HMB Sport is a BCAA/Intra-Workout manufactured by Blonyx. BCAA is short for branched chain amino acids. They are the building blocks of protein and can increase protein synthesis, muscle recovery and endurance during workouts and have also been shown to reduce body fat.

6.8
Thanks to Blonyx for sending it out!
  January 31, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Decreased DOMs
  • Effective

Whats up SR, I chose to review this product as I am always looking for an edge in my recovery, muscle building and overall fitness game. Thanks to Blonyx and the Trooper program for sending this out

Very simple formula, its an HMB product so you have:

HMB - 1g (3 g per day)
Calcium - 130mg

Very easy to breakdown as its only one real ingredient. Now what exactly is HMB, well it originally blew up in the 90's and faded into obscurity before enjoying a resurgence in recent years. HMB is a metabolite of Leucine and is used to build, maintain and repair muscle cells. The addition of the calcium makes the HMB more water soluble, thus increasing the absorption.

This is a capsule product so taste and mixability are not relevant. The dosing is 2 capsules 3 times per day (equalling 6 pills per day), the caps are very small and easy to swallow.

The effectiveness of something like HMB can be hard to gauge, so I'll break it down into the categories that are supposedly the main benefits of taking HMB

Muscle Building: I did gain some minor amount of muscle during my run of this product, however it is very hard to attribute this directly to the HMB as both my diet and training were on point during the month run.

Muscle Recovery: This was the area that I noticed the most signifiant boost. Compared to just using BCAA's my DOMS (aka soreness) was very much notably decreased while I was using the HMB, and my training level had in-fact increased as the program I am following upped the volume during this month period. Having taken BCAA's consistently for years I have a baseline of my recovery (excluding sleep), and I can say I did notice an increase in my recovery while on this.

Maintaining Muscle: This didn't really apply to me as I wasn't in a caloric deficit, nor way I trying to shed extra pounds, my musculature increased slightly over the course of this.

The value of this is where it takes a major hit, it retails on the Blonyx website for $50 for the 30 serving bottle, making it almost double the price of other HMB products available through various retailers. Im not exactly sure why they priced this so high, I know HMB isn't the cheapest ingredient to source, but surely they should be able to give some more competitive pricing?

Side Effects

Conclusion

Overall I would say that this was a quality recovery product, but at the given price point I would personally consider looking elsewhere for a better deal. I would really like to try another bottle of HMB and see if I can really notice/ attribute a boost in muscle size to HMB directly, as well as to see if the recovery stays consistent. Overall its a solid product with a bad price point.

Overall
Thanks to Blonyx for sending it out!
  January 19, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Decreased DOMs
  • Effective

What is up guys? This is my first time straying from my traditional supplement pyramid (Pre-workout, BCAA, Creatine, Protein, ect) and going out on a limb to try this interesting product. Curiosity was my main reason for pulling the trigger this product and I had a healthy skepticism adding this to my stack. Before I dive in I would just like to thank all the people here at SR and all the people at Blonyx for making this review possible.

Really short: A Gelatin capsule and Calcium-B-Hydroxy-b-Methybutyrate powder or HMB for short.
    I had to do a lot of research on this one, because In all honesty, I had never heard of this product before. In essence, HMB is a metabolite of leucine that reduces muscle protein breakdown. The manufactures website claims that HMB is stored in the muscles and used to build, maintain, and repair muscle cells. They bind it to calcium to keep it in a stable powder state and to make it more water soluble.

How does the body make HMB?
    The body makes HMB by breaking down the amino acid leucine found in the protein we eat. Only about 5% of leucine is turned into HMB. The body also adds HMB to its reserves from food high in HMB like alfalfa, fish, and grapefruit.

Another Manufacturer claim: Research shows that supplementing the diet with an additional 3g/day HMB improves athletic performance in training athletes. These performance benefits include: an increase in strength gains, endurance performance, muscle mass, and reduces recovery time, blood pressure and cholesterol.
    WOW, it sounds like the 'magic pill' that everyone has been looking for! Notice the huge asterisk by all of these statements *WHEN SUPPLEMENTED WITH VIGOROUS TRAINING*
    I used this product with an extremely vigorous training split filled with a combination of strength training and hypertrophic volume training. I use a high-frequency training split to shock the body, maximize results, and to find out if this product lives up to all of its bold claims.

Taste: None, because this product is in a gelatin capsule that you swallow whole.

Mixability: Also none for the same reason listed above.

Dosage: Recommended 3 capsules TWICE daily, so basically 6 capsules per day. However, I added 2 extra capsules per day to get about an extra gram of HMB and really see what this thing was made of and the website recommend taking 3 doses of 2 capsules evenly spread out throughout the day. I took 2 capsules when I woke up, 2 capsules about an hour after lunch, and 4 capsules right after training. Yes, I took 8 capsules per day (approx. 4g of HMB) and on a rare occasion I even doubled the original recommended dose to see if there were any noticeable effects and here were my results:

Under FAQ on blonyx.com there was this question: How will Blonyx affect my training? And the answer they gave was this: "HMB Sport will noticeably reduce muscle soreness, and will also maintain the power you can generate from sore muscles. You will be able to train harder and more frequently, which will speed improvements."
    That's what I was looking for throughout the duration that I used this product. I'm going to completely honest after the first 3 days of using this product I thought that It was a total flop. I've had BCAA supplements that have had more of an impact on my DOMs than this 'fancy' stuff. But, I continued using it as directed and all of a sudden around day four it hit me. I was not getting as sore as I was before. I could blow my triceps out during an arm workout in the morning and then still have my usual power on my bench press in the afternoon. This blew my mind. When you usually work an accessory muscle, as I like to call them, within 24 hours of a compound lift that relies on those accessory muscles to perform it's 99% of the time weaker than If you performed with fully rested muscles. I was thoroughly impressed with how the product affected my DOMs and my ability to recover at an almost 'magical' rate.

This product is currently $50 on Amazon and the manufacturer's website for a 30 day supply. This comes out to $1.67 per day. It's not cheap stuff and I don't think that I could buy this product on a regular basis because of the price.
    If you increased the dosage like i did you would obviously be paying more per serving/ per day.

Side Effects

Conclusion

No, this isn't the magical pill that will have you looking like Arnold overnight, however, this is a great supplement for anyone that puts in crazy amounts of work and expects their body to recover crazy fast. This is one the more interesting products that I have ever used and i am very happy that I did.