WORKHORSE Intra-workout Compound Reviews

By: Black Sheep Supplements

WORKHORSE Intra-workout Compound is a BCAA/Intra-Workout manufactured by Black Sheep Supplements. BCAA is short for branched chain amino acids. They are the building blocks of protein and can increase protein synthesis, muscle recovery and endurance during workouts and have also been shown to reduce body fat.

February 13, 2019

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Increased Stamina
  • Good Pumps
  • Good Carb Energy Source
  • Natural Flavoring
  • Little Pricey

Workhorse is a good intra workout that will give the extra kick in the butt halfway through a workout. An array of pump ingredients will make sure you are covered in that department while other ingredients cover endurance and joint health!

I chose to get Workhorse from the vault because i had never used an intra workout before and wanted to see the effectiveness. Thank you to Black Sheep Supplements and supplement reviews for the opportunity to review this product. The quality of the product and company seem to be high. This particular product is supposed to deliver on stamina, blood flow, pump, and joint tissue support.

Macros: Cal 75, Carbs 18g

Dextrose(20g): Dextrose is added in as a fast absorbing carbohydrate. This has an impact on energy especially if you train in the morning and dont eat a large breakfast. During high intensity training the body likes to break down simple, fast-burning sugars so this is the perfect fuel for a hard workout. The dosage is relative to the individual and can differ depending on insulin sensitivity, etc.

L-Citrulline(5g): L-Citrulline is an amino acid that is used to increase blood flow. This happens through the formation of l-arginine. Even though citrulline helps in the formation of arginine in the kidneys, it is a better NO booster than actual arginine. This is because the bio availability of arginine is in question when taken orally while citrulline has good bio availability. L citrulline also works in the urea cycle which regulates the production of ammonia in the body and helps to get rid of the "waste" produced during exercise. The dose here is good due to it being pure citrulline. The dose is usually found between 3-6g so this is a good median.

Raspberry Ketone Powder 99%(2.75g): This is a novel fat burning compound. SOme studies have been donw on mice and they have lost weight but none have been done on humans because to use the weight ratio used in the rat studies it would take a lot of raspberry ketones. Rate studies show an effect between 100-300mg/kg. I weigh around 220lbs so that would mean i would need between 10-30g to meet these standards. It is my guess though that these were put in as a form of natural flavoring on top of the possible positive effects on weight loss. I enjoy this and dont mind them in here since they dont have any possible negative effects.

L-Glutamine(2g): L-Glutamine is the most abundant amino acid within muscle. It is supplimented in hopes to improves muscle mass and endurance. This does not seem to be the case when used by healthy people. Most significant improvements are seen in trauma victims, elderly, or otherwise deficient people. When used in this population they lose less muscle mass than if they didn't take the glutamine. This is another ingredient that has many theories behind it but still has yet to clinically prove its effects for exercise. One proven benefit though is that it improves gasterointestinal health. Dosages can be seen from 5-20g/day.

MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane)(1.5g): MSM is a sulfur molecule that has potential antioxidant and anti inflammatory effects. Due to this it is often seen in joint formulas. Studies have been done and pain did seem to be mildly relieved in arthritis patients when given 3g. This dose is 1.5g so it is half of that but it is still a good ingredient to have in the product. This could be seen as like a safety net or a preventive. If you want even more joint support than get a joint formula but this will offer some day to day insurance on joint health.

L-Arginine Monohydrochloride(1g): Arginine, as mentioned with the citrulline, is a nitric oxide booster. The theory behind this ingredient is good but the reality is that the body cannot acutely use most of the arginine when supplemented orally so it wont be as good as with other pump ingredients. This product is not relying on this solely though since it has many other pump ingredients in here. The HCl is used to neutralize the pH in hopes it will make it taste better and that more will possibly be absorbed.

Agmatine Sulfate(1g): Agamatine sulfate is a common pump ingredient used for vasodilation. It does this through stimulation of the alpha 2 adrenergic receptors and the turning off of the sympathetic nervous systme. This in turn dialates the blood vessels and allows better blood flow. Agmatine has a few more tricks up its sleeve though that not many people talk about. It is also a mood elevator and it can even increase the speed and strength that your nerve impulses travel. This may allow for a better "mind-muscle" connection in theory. The dosage for agmatine is spot on here at 1g. The dosage is usually between 750 mg and 1.5g.

Beta-Alanine(1g): Beta Alanine is an amino acid used in the synthesis of carnosine. Beta alanine is the limiting reagent which means the more beta alaine you can ingest the higher your carnosine levels will be. This is a compound that should be taken daily and most studies show effects around the 3.2g/day dose. While this dose is low beta alanine is found in many pre and post workouts so this is another gram to add to that. Due to carnosines ability to buffer lactic acid beta alanine helps within the stamina and muscle building side. Effects will be more pronounced when lifting in higher repetitions, which is where more lactic acid production occurs.

Beet Powder(500mg): Beet root powder is used for their source of nitrates usually. Ingestion of nitrates can help blood flow by your body converting the nitrates into nitric oxide. This them directly offers vasodilation. The problem with beet root is that to provide a significant amount of nitrates it must be dosed very high. Some studies show into the 500g area. We have 500 mg here so it may not be effective here unless it is standardized to a higher rate. I do believe though that this may have been added in as not only an extra NO booster but also to help flavor it since it is Raspberry Beetdown. This i love because its taking an ingredients with possible benefits and using it as a flavoring component too.

Caffeine Anhydrous (100mg): Caffeine is the stimulent of choice for many supplements and people in general. Caffeine does this by inhibiting the adenosine receptors in the brain. These receptors cause a state of sleepiness and relaxation. By caffeine blocking these it inherently wakes you up and gives you that jolt that we all know and love. Not only is it a stimulant but some studies have actually shown at high dosages that ti causes a direct increase in muscle power. Caffeine dosage is relative to the person because you can build up a tolerance to it and you can also be hypersensitive to it. I believe 100mg to be a good dosage for an intra workout. Some people will take caffeine pre workout and this will help to lengthen the effects or for somebody who dosnt take it pre workout it will offer a pick-me-up during the workout.

Taste: The taste of this product was surprisingly good. I say this because the flavor is Raspberry Beetdown. This is a very unique flavor. It does not have any artificial flavors, sweeteners, or colors so this is a plus. The flavor could be described as a bitter raspberry flavor initially. The after taste can be a little much with a strong beet and earthy taste. I do enjoy the fact that it is natural though and understand it is difficult to get a natural supplement to taste as good as one artificially flavored.

Mixability: The mixability of Workhorse is good. There were a couple times that i would shake it and get a clump or two. Another good shake or two though would fix this. It did have a decent amount of foaming to it but this would go down if it sat for a couple minutes.

Dosing: The dosing protocol i followed was the one on the container. I drank 2 scoops with around 20 oz of water during my warm up. This did seem to be effective. Workhorse is instructed to only be used on workout days.

Stamina: This product gave a consistent stamina boost that was perfect. The extra 100mg of caffeine provides some mid workout energy that may be lost depending on the dosage in your preworkout. For me this was a good feeling where it wasn't too much when combined with a preworkout but it also was still noticeable when taken without one. The beta alanine in theory should offer a stamina boost also due to its ability to buffer lactic acid but i already take beta alanine separate, due to it being a supplement you take daily. The extra 1g is a nice addition though, especially to people who may only get 1 or 2 grams in their pre.

Blood Flow/ Pump: Even though these are listed as separate claims i am going to combine them because they work hand in hand. There are a lot of pump ingredients in this product including Arginine, Agmatine sulfate, L-Citrulline, and beet powder. The doses on these, as covered above, are pretty solid too. This leads to increased blood flow and a definite improved pump. Every workout i did notice an increased pump feeling but to truly test this out i did a couple high volume days while trying this. The one day i remember in particular I chased a pump for arms and it was one of the best ive ever had.

Joint Tissue Support: This claim is a hard one to prove because it is a long term affect. I already take a joint supplement and this extra 1.5g of MSM felt like good insurance. I do try to keep up my health in my joints so i will never turn down a goodie thrown in like this. I cannot say i noticed a difference in my joints but like i said i already take a fish oil and a joint supplement.

Workhorse can be found on Blacksheepsuppliments.com for 49.99. This includes 30 servings if used at the full 2 scoops which equals out to around 1.67 per serving. This value may seem steep but for the quality of the supplement i do believe it is competitive especially if you could get away with 1 scoop.

Side Effects

No side effects were seen. Individuals that have never taken beta alanine, or are sensitive to it, may get a tingling called paresthesia. At 1 gram though this shouldn't be a problem.

Conclusion

In conclusion, i believe this is a solid intra workout and i did enjoy using it. It gave a pick-me-up boost of energy and offered some blood flow ingredients to give good pumps. The flavoring is decent but i always appreciate a natural product so i can deal with the earthy aftertaste just for that. I recommend this to people with the extra cash looking to boost their workouts, especially if you workout for extended periods of time.
  • Raspberry Beetdown: 7/10

November 20, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Good Carb Energy Source
  • Good Pumps
  • Quick Dextrose Energy
  • Increased Stamina

Serious athletes, more than most, understand the importance of "covering all your bases". Every step taken from the beginning to end is closely monitored, from meal timing to supplement timing, training length and intensity, and those methods used within that training time, all play the biggest roles in whatever your final outcome may be. Sometimes it's the smallest of mistakes over a period of time which affect that final outcome, for the better or for worse. Bodybuilding is a sport where the small things aren't so small, in fact they're bigger than most small things are for athletes involved in other sports. It's the people who pay attention to the small details, and take advantage of everything they can whom reach the top, usually over the people who could care less for the little things they hate so much that they ignore.

I'm always willing to come to bat for a great intra-workout product, and it's unfortunately something I see less and less companies putting effort into. Good thing we have Black Sheep Supplements to keep us in check, and in doing so, have created an awesome intra-workout product that's everything I could've asked for & more. A loaded blend full of ingredients ranging from muscle pump to endurance, even joint and connective tissue health. There's a lot going on in the two scoop, 42.9g serving size of Workhorse, so let's break it all down.

As mentioned above, Workhorse features a massive 42.9g serving size split between the two scoop serving. As also previously mentioned, there's a ton happening in this product that cover a wide range of benefits. I'll be jumping around the label a bit so the order in which you're reading is not the same as the label, just a forewarning. Workhorse is advertised as a 'Complete Intra-Workout Compound', which is the perfect way to describe everything about this product. Though advertised as an intra, many could find this useful as a pre-workout as well. Two scoops of Workhorse supply 100mg of caffeine, which to the more sensitive, is plenty give them the kick needed to begin their training. Even better could be splitting the two scoops, supplying you 50mg before training and another steady flow of 50mg more during your training. Luckily for those who can't quite time that pre-workout meal just right, the full serving is giving you 20g of Dextrose. A little bit of research could show you the incredible benefits of Dextrose as a post-workout, but it works just as fine pre or intra, replacing all of that lost glycogen that occurs during your training. Think of it as your stamina booster, allowing your body to have consistent fuel during your workout and possibly prolonging any weakness during those long training sessions.

Also a huge benefit here is 5g of Citrulline, which if you're doing things right, should be 5g on top of the Citrulline in your pre-workout drink! Citrulline is one of the fastest growing ingredients in the industry, and simply because it quickly converts to L-Arginine in the body and supports those massive pumps we try so hard to achieve. Raspberry Ketone Powder is tossed in here at 2.75g, and it's one of the few confusing ingredients choices to me on this label. Raspberry Ketones are known most for their ability to suppress appetite, and for those who train fasted this could really play to your favor heavily, but I didn't find it to be much of a benefit for myself. 2g of L-Glutamine has been tossed in here for good measure and along with the 1.5g of MSM, are going to play larger roles in the recovery process. L-Glutamine being a major amino acid for direct muscle recovery, and MSM being beneficial for joint health, which is awesome to see in here considering the major neglect most people face when it comes to their joint health. Get it together, people! Agmatine Sulfate, Beta Alanine & Beet Powder all round off the last of the ingredient label, each being dosed at 1g.

I didn't lie when I last mentioned the wide variety of ingredients in Workhorse, and I have to tip my hat off to Black Sheep Supplements for their keen eye when it comes to ingredient choices. The addition of MSM was a huge surprise to me & shows the companies fine eye for the little ingredients that could potentially play huge roles. The 20g of Dextrose was always just fine for me and the 100mg of caffeine is dosed perfectly to give just that little extra bump when needed.

At first glance of the loaded ingredient label, the first thing I wondered about was the taste. I was hesitant mostly because of that, but than I saw that the product contains no artificial sweeteners, flavors, or colors. I'm insanely happy to see brands shifting away from using all of that, and taking advantage of the incredible natural flavors the world gives us. The flavor I was sent of Workhorse was Raspberry Beetdown, an awesomely clever name indeed. Following that though I must say, this isn't the greatest tasting product out there, not even close. Eventually I began mixing fruit flavored BCAA's along with Workhorse just to try and alter the taste the tiniest bit I can. It's very sweet, and the Beet is much more apparent than any hint of Raspberry. To say I even tasted Raspberry at all would be a lie, but more of a fruit punch style with a variety of flavors rather than specificially one. It's far from spitting it out in the middle of the gym bad, but it's rather tough to enjoy. Considering how much powder is in here and the full shaker bottle you have to drink of this stuff, it won't hurt to toss in a scoop of BCAA's to make drinking it a little easier. I don't use that taste as a reason to bash Workhorse though, taste is extremely difficult to get perfectly and when you're including this many different ingredients, it makes what is already a challenge, even more challenging.
Zero issues with mixability here, which positively surprised me. I expected a lot more of a thick texture after mixing it all up but it's really smooth and I've never finished a bottle of Workhorse to find powder lingering at the bottom of my cup. As far as dosing goes, I used it a few different ways. I particularly enjoyed using a single scoop with my pre-workout and another single scoop intra, I found that to be the most beneficial for me. Used strictly as an intra-workout was still really good, but I'd reserve the product for the three harder days of training a week as I didn't find much use for it on my easier days of training.

Man, does the name Workhorse fit this product perfectly. It was almost as if this stuff would breathe new life into my lungs, but rather than quickly and when needed, it would breathe that life into me long after the pre-workout meal and drink we're gone. The 20g of Dextrose would hit me fast, and I'd have a pump big enough to write home about only a few working sets into my session. If I used a single scoop with my pre-workout, I'd get a killer leg pump in my 15 minute warm up bike ride, which was a sure sign to get my behind under the weights as fast as possible. I noticed a huge increase in stamina, where as the moments I knew I'd crash a little bit in the workout were no longer there, and I'd breeze through the training regimen quicker than I ever had before. My rest times dropped noticeably and my pump would linger far after the workout finished. One of my favorite things about Workhorse though was the post-workout feeling, where as I'm usually dragging to the car and ready for a nap, I'd still feel like I had the entire day ahead of me and I was ready to conquer it all without a single thought of rest. My body felt fueled and ready for anything that would come my way, inside and outside of the gym. Digging further into the product though, I didn't find much improvement in my joint health from the MSM, as I already take a fully loaded joint support everyday, but I imagine at some point the majority would notice maybe a little bit improvement in joint comfort, especially during the workout. As far as recovery goes, there was no increase or decrease, but recovery has always been a huge focus of mine so again I imagine people would see a noticeable change in recovery if they're not already very adamant about the importance of it.

Workhorse is available through Black Sheep Supplements for $49.99, and researching a ton of other loaded intra-workout products, it's not as pricey as it may seem. Using the full two scoop serving, you're getting 30 servings per bottle, and that makes 60 servings for those who can benefit from a single scoop.

Side Effects

No Side Effects.

Conclusion

Workhorse perfectly defends every argument I've ever had for the benefit of an incredible intra-workout product. It goes beyond the carbohydrates and caffeine, and supplies us with a ton of useful ingredients which can push us above and beyond during our training. You don't usually understand the importance of what these ingredients can do until you try it, and I highly recommend giving Workhorse a go. Remember, it's the little things that can make or break the final outcome of something huge, and incorporating a product like Workhorse to your supplement stack can make a big difference. Thank you to SR.com & Black Sheep Supplements for the bottle of Workhorse.
  • Raspberry Beetdown: 5/10

6.2
  October 3, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Quick Dextrose Energy
  • Good Pumps
  • Good Carb Energy Source
  • Little Pricey

Workhorse is a great intra-workout product that will help sustain clean energy, pump, and endurance during tose intense training sessions. The price, however, is a bit of a downer.

A special thanks to Black Sheep Supplements for their participation here on SR.com. Today, I discuss my experience with their intra-workout product, Workhorse. Intra-workout supplementation is an area of the workout window that I think doesn't get much attention. Some of the best things to consume during a workout aside of fluids include electrolytes, amino acids, certain carbs, and pump factors. Together, these can help sustain and improve overall energy, pump, and endurance. My experience with specific intra-workout products is limited, but Workhorse seemed like an interesting try.

The profile is fully disclosed with no prop. blends.

Two scoops provides the following:

Sugars: 18g
MSM:1.5g
Caffeine Anhydrous: 100mg

To begin, we have dextrose at a substantial amount. Dextrose is a fast acting carb and is processed rapidly in the body. Being that carbs are our bodies' main source of energy material, consuming this during a workout or a short time prior, can help give a good amount of sustainable energy and endurance. Due to its GI action, though, some users may experience GI symptoms with dextrose's usage. However, that wasn't the case with me.

Moving on we have L-citrulline, which provides additional endurance benefits and can also aid in pump enhancement. 5g to me is an efficient amount.

The next ingredient, raspberry ketone powder, is believed to have fat burning and thermo properties. Truthfully, there aren't reliable studies providing supporting data on raspberry ketones effects. Therefore, hard to judge the efficacy of this additive.

L-glutamine is often seen in post-workout products due to its ability to trigger and support tissue repair. In intra-workout supplementation, it can help keep muscle tissue recovery continuous. 2g though seems too low a dose from my experience.

MSM is usually seen in joint support supplements due to it's anti-inflammatory properties. Including it in this product I would guess is to help provide additional support to the joints during training sessions where your joints are taking a pounding.

L-arginine monohydrochloride, beet powder, and agmatine sulfate are all well known pump enhancers. There dosages look alright for the most part to do the job.

Beta alanine is an endurance enhancer thanks to its ability to increase levels of carnosine in muscle tissue. Carnosine is important for overall growth and repair.

Lastly, there is a small dose of caffeine for increased energy.

Overall, a solid profile, but some ingredients could be dopsed a little higher.

The only flavor available is Raspberry Beatdown. The name referring primarily to the ingredients through a clever tactic. Personally, it wasn't what I would consider bad or awful, but it wasn't my favorite either. It was just a bit of an odd mixture of fruit and beet taste with some sugar sweetness. Not bad, but not good either.

Provided you use enough liquids, at least 20 ounces, you should have no problems with a thorough mixture. I ensured this and had no mixability issues.

The directions advise for 2 scoops to be combined with 20 ounces of water and consume within 15 minutes of your warm up. I mixed two scoops with 20 ounces of water and drank it soon after my warmup began. The mixture was usually completely consumed within about 10 minutes into my warm up.

My Efficacy rating is going to be based solely on my use of Workhorse as an intra workout supplement.

To begin, Workhouse did a great job in increasing my overall energy and endurance. The extra glycogen from the dextrose, combined with the additional beta alanine, L-glutamine, and citrulline created an efficient power boosting combo. I was engaging in my workouts more aggressively, performing my movement sets with more volume and intensity, lifting more weight on some movements for high rep ranges, and resting less between sets. This in total, made for gains in strength, mass, and natural endurance overtime.

Pump wise, it did give me good vascularity and a better feeling of fullness. My entire physique looks more pumped and I had veins popping everywhere. The pumps were best during heavy compound movement high rep range intervals. My vascularity was most improved in my legs and chest, but was apparent everywhere else.

In summary, Workhorse helped give me overall better energy, stamina, pump, and strength.

The product is not widely available and currently can only be bought from Black Sheep Supps own website for 50 dollars. While the product is effective and provides a full month's supply per tub, that is still a high price to ask. I would say, if you have the extra money, it is worth the investment to try, but I would wait for sales and deals before pulling the trigger.

Side Effects

None, though be cautious on how your GI handles the dextrose.

Conclusion

In conclusion, Workhouse is a great intra workout supplement that can help you power through your training sessions more intensely by increasing energy, endurance, pump, and lead to more gain potential. Just be sure to look out for deals.

WARMACHINE OUT!!!

GO PATS!!!
  • Raspberry Beetdown: 6/10

September 23, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Good Pumps
  • Good Carb Energy Source
  • Little Pricey

It does what an Intra is supposed to do

What is going on guys? I was very excited to use a true intra product with the added benefit of carbohydrates. The name itself 'Workhorse" was also a pretty cool eye catcher that added to the desirability of the product. I'd like to thank SR and Black Sheep for making this review possible. Let's dive right in shall we!

Serving Size: 2 Scoops (42.9g)
Calories: 75
Total Carbs: 18g (Sugars 18g)
MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane):1.5g
Caffeine Anhydrous: 100mg

As you can see, there are no BCAAs in this product just ingredients that help manage stamina, blood flow, pump, and energy. This to me makes it a true intra-workout product and obviously not a BCAA product, hence why I started using a BCAA product halfway through my trial with this. I would like to see them add BCAAs to this product though so that it could have a noticeable impact on recovery.
This product contains 20 grams of dextrose aka the fuel to lengthen your workout and better your performance in the gym. I really like the idea, in theory, this is a fast digesting carb that your body can break apart and use for energy during your workouts. We've got 5 grams of Citrulline here which bodes very well for those skin shredding pumps as it is a good dosage along with 1g of Agmatine Sulfate to really try and pump you up. Raspberry Ketone powder can help aid with fat loss, but I take any 'fat loss aid' with a grain of salt (figuratively not literally) because it really comes down to being in a caloric deficit and it won't matter what shiny fat loss supplement you're taking if you are not in a caloric deficit. 2 grams of Glutamine is nice to see for its recovery benefits, but I personally have only seen/ felt results with daily dosages of 5 grams and up. MSM can decrease pain and inflammation recovery usually seen in dosages between 1.5 and 3 grams (so this product is just making it at 1.5g). Beet powder and beta-alanine are clearly underused but its good to see them on the label along with a little giddy-up of 100mg of caffeine.
I like the label from the looks of the pump ingredients and the carbs. I think that my workouts can only benefit from a quick digesting sugar mid-workout and added pump ingredients.

Taste: Raspberry Beetdown (clever name) was fine, It didn't taste bad but it wasn't an 'exciting taste' either. Rather bland for me personally and I'm not exactly mad about that lol I'd rather it be bland than really bad.

Mixibility: If you don't follow the mixing protocols and use at least 20 ounces of water then i could see you potentially having problems, however, I used the recommended amount every time and never had any issues.

Dosage: I used 1 serving during the beginning half of all of my workouts. It's recommended to finish it within the first 15 minutes but I can't workout with a ton of water slushing around in my stomach so I sipped mine through the first 30 minutes of my workouts (which was still not even halfway through the session).

This is where the product was a success for me. This product extends the life of your pumps. If you take a pre workout that is either weak in the pump aspect or just fades during the duration of the workout this product slides in perfectly to give your pump new life! I responded very well in that aspect of the product both with and without a pre-workout. Was it the greatest pump ever? No, but it was still a pretty good pump by normal standards. The carbs were interesting to me. Did they hurt my performance? Not at all, I didn't have any stomach issues or bloating. Was it amazing at giving me sustainable energy? Not amazing, but pretty good! The carbs absolutely had a positive impact on my training. I've never been one to use an intra-carb product before so this was a pleasant surprise. It's not the kind of energy that the normal person thinks of with stimulants like caffeine, but rather more stamina to push through later sets in the workout. The product was a success in my book from that aspect. I also feel like with all the nitric oxide boosters that the carbs were able to be 'shuttled' through my body even quicker, but that may be me reaching a bit lol. There was really no change in my recovery and i was expecting this with the lack of BCAAs in this product (I think if maybe 5g of BCAAs were added to this products' formula that it would push it to a whole other level) even with the small addition of glutamine. With that being said, as far as pump and the carby energy was concerned this product was a win for me.

I could only find this on the manufacturer's website for $49.99 which comes out to around $1.66 per serving. To me, an intra product is a great add to any stack but not a MUST have. $50 isn't cheap and there are cheaper alternatives for pump and some quick carbs.

Side Effects

Conclusion

This is a great add to any stack, but not a must-have.

July 17, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Quick Dextrose Energy
  • Neither Pre Nor Intra Workout

Not quite an intra-workout product, but also not a pre-workout, wouldn't recommend.

Greetings SR! Back again with another review and this time it's the intra-workout 'WORKHORSE Intra-Workout Compound' by Black Sheep Supplements. Firstly, I want to thank the SR TROOPs program and Black Sheep Supplements, for giving me the opportunity to try this product out. If you want to know of my background, you can find it in my profile here at:

Ingredients

Serving Size: 2 Scoops (42.9g)
Sugars: 18g
MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane):1.5g
Other trace ingredients

First thing you'll notice with this supplement is that there is a good amount of sugar (Dextrose) in it. Dextrose is a very high GI carb that is quickly processed by the body. While more common in some intra-workouts, this stood out to me pretty quick that I'm essentially putting down a good about of sugar water with everything else in there.

Moving on from there, the L-Citrulline is pretty much the clinical dose (depending on research, some show 6g as the most effective dose).

Next we have the Raspberry Ketone Powder 99% which is supposed to be a fat burner I assume but examine has very little data on its effects in general. The only studies I could find its ability to do this are not human based but on rats, however the amount of lb of mass is comparable (1.1g-5g for a 200lb person).
For the rest of the ingredients, most of these dosages are on the lower side of ingredients but depending on if you take this after a pre-workout, you might be getting above the clinical dose.

Finally, not quite sure on the math about the total of ingredients. If you add up everything from the dextrose down, you get 34.55g. The total dosage should be 42.9g so not sure what's going on there and the weight I got was 26g from a single scoop which comes out to be 52g for a single dose.

Good news is that this is an all natural product so for those that don't want the artificial taste in their sups, this product will be alright. The bad news is that it tastes like it isn't artificially flavored and for all the dextrose in it, it's not overly sweet. I got Raspberry Beetdown flavor and I can't really say it tastes like anything at all, maybe more beet than anything else, and the L-Citrulline comes through fairly clearly.

Mixability is okay but not great. I tried this product in both strainer style and shaker ball bottles and there is some settling but very little grit in it. I had to use closer to 24-28oz to get the product to fully dissolve, 42.9g is a huge amount of powder to mix in (and as mentioned above, I was weighing out even more than that)!

Dosing is where I have some issue with the product. Directions for the product are to "combine 2 scoops with 20 oz of cold water and shake vigorously. Drink entire mixture within 15 minutes of starting your warm up." For me this dosing was rather difficult as I also wanted to combine this with a pre-workout. As I'm taking another 16-20 oz of fluid in about 15 minutes before my workout on top of this, I was consuming well over a full quart of water within 30 minutes at the beginning of my workout. Needless to say, breaks were required pretty darn quick to run to the bathroom and kept me from getting into a good zone for my sets.

Additionally, without the pre-workout, that's still a lot of fluid to consume while I'm trying to do my warmup. Because of when you are supposed to take this product, I don't really think its an intra-workout product but more of a pre-workout product.

I started out using this product as directed as an intra-workout and took it after a pre-workout. On the whole, I didn't notice much effect on top of the pre-workout so I discontinued the pre-workout on days I took this. Just taking it by itself, the sugar calories are nice if you don't normally have time to get your pre-workout carbs in and you need a quick supply of energy. On days that I didn't get a chance to eat this was noticeable and helpful. Other than that however, I didn't get much effect of this product besides a decent pump and I think that makes sense as on the whole, the ingredients are underdosed.

This product, just like in the dosing, straddles the line between pre and intra workout. The ingredients are a nice boost to a weak pre-workout to get you to clinical dosing, but as a standalone, just isn't all that effective compared to others out there. Also, as an intra-workout, i would like to see some thought to recovery, maybe the inclusion of BCAAs?

One other claim of this product is to help with joints. I'm looking for the MSM to do this but I cannot say I noticed much of an effect.

5.0/10
Currently, this product is available from the home company product page as well as Amazon, with both of them at $50 for a 30 serving tub which leads you to $1.67/serving. I didn't see any coupons or anything else so that is the price you are going to pay. For that price, I just can't see much value in this product. The L-Citrulline is dosed well but besides that, there just isn't much in there besides sugar water. For the same price, I could get most of the top 10 pre-workouts on the SR boards in either stimulant or pump that have the same ingredients but are better dosed.

Conclusion

This product is a letdown for me as an intra-workout as I think it's more of a weak pre-workout than anything else. While it's not a terrible product, it just isn't dosed well enough to compete with others at its price point.

(Note: Run of this coincides with my run of Mythos Supplements - Antaeus Pre-Workout but they were only taken together 2x due to the large water intake and the combination of ingredients did not agree with me. All subsequent uses of this product were as a standalone.)
  • Raspberry Beetdown: 5/10