Proto Whey Reviews

By: BioNutritional

Protein > Whey Protein
Proto Whey is a Whey Protein Powder manufactured by BioNutritional. It is a dairy based protein that supports lean muscle gain by suppling additional protein to recovering muscles, which can also improve fat loss.

March 19, 2013

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Tastes Good
  • Good Recovery
  • Tastes Good For Being Hydrolysate
  • A Little Pricey
  • Sore Stomach Initially
If you are looking for something that is clean and pure then Proto Whey is the type of supplement for you. It took me 8 weeks to finish 5Ib with 65 servings. Proto Whey is basically a dietary protein made with High-DH Hydrolyzed Whey protein technology. They have reduced (hydrolyzed) to between 1% and 4% of the size of typical dietary protein peptides. While the rest of other proteins have to go through a process called HYDROLYSIS which allows the body to absorb them.

Mixability I mixed the content with water and the product complete dissolve with few shakes resulting in no clumping. 10/10

Ingredient profile: The profile is excellent, having 20 grams of hydrolyzed protein, 3 grams of medium chain triglycerides, and 3 grams of micronized psyllium fiber and only 2 grams of sugar.

Taste: Proto whey comes in four variety of rich and creamy flavors such as Vanilla cream, Strawberry Cream, Double Chocolate and Café Mocha. I tried both the Double Chocolate and Café Mocha in Milk and water. For those who do not take caffeine would recommend not to take café mocha as it has a bit of caffeine .The taste was amazing and enjoyable at the same time. 10/10

Overall: The taste is amazing and enjoyable. The benefits of being hydrolyzed, its values is fair, but the effectiveness is what make me rate this product 8/10.

I highly recommend to anyone, if you want a real protein that is healthy for you in many ways this is the product for you.

December 10, 2012

• Good Recovery
    ProtoWhey is my go too protein, just cant get enough of the stuff!

INGREDIENT PROFILE: 10/10
    Per serve there is 20g Protein.
    This might not seem very much but because it is 100% pure Hydrolyzed protein, all of it is used by the body very quickly. If you need more just add another scoop.
    Also packs 5.7g BCAA's & 3g Fiber for only 120 calories.

TASTE & MIXABILITY: 10/10
    ProtoWhey is probably the BEST TASTING PROTEIN.
    The chocolate tastes like milo or nesquick.
    Vanilla is the best tasting vanilla on the market, hands down.
    Cafe Mocha is really good, but kind of got over it.
    Banana Creme is quiet weak, not a huge Banana flavour.
    Have yet to try Strawberry.
    Tastes amazing with water. I like to blend it with ice. But also good with milk.
    Protowhey is so Hydrolyzed that you can eat it right out of the tub if you want, therefore it mixes very easily. Better than any other protein I have tried.

EFFECTIVENESS: 10/10
    I have made good lean gains with this protowhey (with good diet) and also use it for cutting.
    Since it has virtually no Carbs, if you need to add some carbs too it or get your carbs from food.

VALUE: 8/10
    It is a bit on the more expensive side but I say you get what you pay for.

OVERALL: 10/10
    Protowhey is my favourite protein on the market today. I cant wait to down one after my workout.
    It isn't lactose free but goes down very easily and have zero bloating.
    I would recommend Protowhey to anyone.
    Seriously got get some now!

May 9, 2012

• Tastes Good For Being Hydrolysate
    • Pricey But Worth It
    Just about everybody serious about lifting takes a protein shake. The most popular one today by far has got to be ON's 100% Gold Standard. Today I will be reviewing a whey protein product that has been one of my favorites for quite some time and it's not Gold Standard, or any Optimum Nutrition product.

There are a few products out there that give ON's protein a run for its money, one of those products is Bio Nutritional Research Group's Proto Whey. Let's jump right into the review!

Mixability – 8/10

The mixibility is better than your average protein shake. I mixed the two scoops with water and never had any major issues. I mixed it a few times with milk and it did seem to integrate a little bit better; water or milk the mixability is nothing really to complain about here.

Content – 10/10

So this is where this product shines brightest. It has 20 grams of whey protein hydrolysate per serving. They whey protein has been hydrolyzed meaning it is smaller. This breakdown of the protein occurs as a result of enzymes and aids in absorption.

Normal whey, soy, and caseins undergo hydrolysis within your body, the issue is that not all of it might not become hydrolyzed and thus wasted. So some might claim that 20g is not a lot, but at least you know it will be utilized by your body as immediately upon ingestion the protein can be absorbed.

I'm not going to go through all the other ingredients, if you want to look check out protowhey.com. It's of notable to mention that if you get the café mocha flavor there is 35mg of caffeine in it.

Taste 7/10

The taste is alright here, nothing to write home about. I can think of a handful of proteins out there that taste better than this; we don't take this shakes for the flavor fullness though and really and truly the taste isn't that bad.

I have had the café mocha and the double chocolate flavor. The double chocolate is alright, tastes almost like hershey's dark chocolate with that classic bitter taste. The café mocha was good at first but I was sick of the taste before long.

Effectiveness – 10/10
    As far as effectiveness is concerned this deserves a perfect 10/10. I will break down effectiveness into a few applicable categories:

Recovery – 8/10
    I saw a noticeable increase in recovery while on this product. My muscles felt sore after intense workouts, workouts that usually leave me sore for at least a few days. It was most noticeable after working legs.

Strength – 8/10
    I did notice some strength gains, now this might be just because I was lifting hard but I felt it necessary to mention anyways.

Leaner Look – 9/10
    So this was something I didn't expect, but I actually leaned out a bit while on this. Nothing spectacular; but I looked a little bit leaner and at the time I was only taking creapure and the basics.

Value – 8/10

The value is ok for this. A 2lb tub will run you around 32 bucks, that's about the price of IsoFlex yet still cheaper than Hydrowhey, except in the Hydro you will only get 20 servings instead of the 26 with Proto. There are cheaper things out there, but for the effectiveness you can't beat it.

Overall – 9/10

This is an excellent protein. The taste could be better, but that is the nature of hydrolysate and one of the main reasons there are few pure ones out there. The taste really isn't that bad in all honesty; I think I have just been spoiled with IsoFlex, HydroWhey and MyoFusion. What is so great about this protein is that you take those 2 scoops, and you know your absorbing all 20grams of protein. Even though the price could be a little better, this is a product that is definitely worth spending the money on.

January 16, 2012

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Best Bang For Your Buck !!
    • Wont' Upset A Sensitive Stomach
    • Pricey But Worth It
    I have to first thank this website as it's the only destination on the Net for reliable and unbiased reviews.

I finished my 5lb tub of Double Chocolate and I'm ready for more. This protein seems like it can easily compete with others at the same price level. Now I've read other reviews arguing against the price and although it is pricey--it's worth it. For me the taste, mixability and contents were all worth the extra money. I'm one of those body builders whom doesn't believe in a high protein intake from sources other than foods like meat. I blend a whey like this with foods and that means I don't burn through a tub as fast as others. With that said--this has more value to someone like me. I don't take more than 2 servings a day.

Another key benefit for me was the shear fact this whey did NOT upset my stomach and that is a giant benefit for me. I'd recommend this product to anyone and especially if you have a sensitive gut like mine. This whey is pretty on-par with the biggest names when BCAAs come into play also.

I've been on a MHP Probolic Protein kick lately and I will be going with Proto for a while now. Another benefit others may be interested in is the lack of water you have to mix with this one. Not at all gummy, sludgy or thick and that gives you less chance of bloat if you are stacking other supplements.

I did a review of MHP's Probolic SR and I will say a similar personal statement here on Proto; the aspects of anabolism and uptake. I can't prove it does that since I'm not a walking protein test.

Mixability--10 easy. This is effortless and you should be able to appreciate this.

Taste--I had Double Chocolate and it's a 10. Kind of like a chocolate malt taste to me. Bits of chocolate exist in the mix as well.

Serving size--10. It's a small 2 scoop serving but the efficiency (as described by research) of the peptide is key here. I always hated how Pro-Complex has 60+ grams of protein per serving but the scoop is large and requires 2 scoops per serving. That's deceiving to me but Proto Whey scoops are again; efficient.

Value--9. I'm giving a 9 since the best price for a tub was roughly $67 local. However and this is a big one--look at what you are up-taking with Pro-Complex for it's price.

I'd certainly recommend this one to anyone. If you can get passed the higher price--try this one after you empty your current tub.

December 28, 2010

• A Little Pricey
    Okay, 50 bucks for a 5lb tub is a little pricey for protein when you price-check online, but Proto Whey is worth it. Like most people who have been training for multiple years, I've tried many different products (Myofusion, Syntha-6, Nitro-Tech, and many small labels to name just a few). I don't think I'll be switching any time soon from Proto Whey. Yes, there is only 20g of protein per serving. This doesn't mean it wont be effective or you need to take an extra scoop with every shake. I believe it to exCEEd every expectation of absorption, so much less goes to waste. Evidence of this is less gastric discomfort and less um... feces. I'm making bigger and leaner gains now than with much higher protein products. Stuff kicks a** and don't every worry about a couple extra grams of sugar in a primarily post-workout product. Replenishing glycogen is key in making gains.
    Taste: I went with Cafe Mocha. The flavor is a little light for a coffee protein, but still very tasty. The texture is grainy and mixes well, but takes a minute or two to fully dissolve. Note: this flavor has real coffee concentrate in it, which I believe adds 35mg or so per serving, so beware if highly sensitive.

November 29, 2010

• Good Recovery
      This protein is THE best protein i have ever taken. Its hard to really FEEL a protein working but i can honestly say i felt this one. The absorption is amazing and i get zero gas or bloat. Some rant and rave about 2 scoops yielding only 20g protein, but please understand that this stuff is of the highest grade and is in no way shape or form like a regular concentrate. one serving first thing in the morning and post workout is the way to go. Top notch.

September 12, 2010

• Good Recovery
        This product was recommended to me by Petey when i ask for his great advice, i use to take Isomass & Ultimate Nutrition Whey. This product is simply amazing, fast absortion, easy to digest, no stomach problem. This was the 1st Hydrolyzed whey for me and i'm very happy with the result. I take this product during my workout, the double chocolate is very good ( i take it with 1% milk ), just make sure you have a good shaker since you will have to shake it more than usual since very thiny piece of chocolate fall in the bottom when not mixed often. Now i will be testing the ON Hydro wheya dn see if this is actually better than product, we'll see, if not and coming back to Proto Whey.

June 21, 2010

• Price A Little Steep
        Proto Whey from BioNutritional (BNRG) was the first hydrolyzed protein I tried. I took it immediately post workout when I needed a fast absorbing protein. I never had any digestion problems from Proto Whey, since it is fully absorbed into the body.
        The vanilla crème Proto Whey contains 120 calories, 2.5g of medium chain triglycerides which provide energy for digestion and cannot be converted to body fat, and 3g of micronized psyllium fiber. It also has 20g of hydrolyzed protein as well as l-glutamine to help with recovery.
        I tried the vanilla crème flavor and it was very good. I mixed it in water while I was on my cut and it was enjoyable. I mixed it in a shaker cup and it fully dissolved in just a few shakes with no clumps. This was one of the best tasting proteins I had and by far the easiest protein to mix.
        The reason why this protein is so fast and completely absorbed is because hydrolyzed protein is smaller than other protein molecules and does not have to go through a process of hydrolysis to be absorbed by the body. The process of hydrolysis takes the body longer to absorb the protein molecules and can be a disadvantage when you need to supply your body with proteins during the thirty minute window post workout.
        The only down side to this protein is the price. I picked this up during gold week at GNC for about thirty dollars for the two pound tub. The two pound tub contains about a month and a half's worth of post workout protein (if you workout four times a week) with twenty-six servings. The GNC price was actually cheaper than bb.com's price of thirty-two dollars, not including shipping. It also beats ON's price of Hydrowhey of thirty dollars, but keep in mind that this is a 1.75 pound tub and it has only twenty servings.
        To sum Proto Whey up, you are getting a great tasting, easily mixable, fast and completely absorbing protein. I definitely recommend trying out this protein for post workout.

June 13, 2010

• Price A Little Steep
        This is the first ever hydrolyzed whey protein i have ever used and I must say, i am beyond im pressed.

First off, i have a very sensitive stomach and many whey proteins have given me slight discomfort. This protein digested with ease like no other and I have never once experienced any discomfort with protowhey.

Effectiveness:10/10 - Being that its hydrolyzed, its absorption is phenomenal! I tend to laugh when people say 20 grams is very small, but what they dont understand is that all of the 20g's is fully absorbed and utilized which makes it so effective. I used it pre and post workout and i must say, i felt my recovery time reduced every time. I also noticed some nice lean gains. All in all I give its effectiveness a 10.

Taste:8/10 - Now many proteins i have tried, and i have tried enough to base an opinion, have had me want to chuck the tubs out the window from how bad they tasted. Protowhey was very tolerable and actually enjoyable. I tried both the vanilla and chocolate both in water and milk, but the vanilla overall takes the cake. I give the taste an 8.

Value:7/10 - Price for the product is fairly cheap. I ordered mine off of BodyBuilding.com which to me has the best offer, $33 bucks. But to me I would prefer if they made the servings a little more extensive. But overall price is good and you get what you've paid for.

Overall:10/10 - Protowhey has definitely become one of my favorite supplements of all time. Its taste is enjoyable, the benefits of being hydrolyzed, its value is fairly descent, but its effectiveness is what makes me give this product, a 10/10, I highly recommend this to anyone who wants full effectiveness of their protein and is light on the stomach.

Great product!

June 3, 2010

Pros:
         Cons:
        • Great Absorption
        • Tastes Good
        • High Quality
        • Good Recovery
        • Price A Little Steep
        Effectivness: 9.4/10
        I used this product through the duration of a cut and the beginning of a lean bulk. The nutritional profile is well suited for both goals. In both, I used it as my between meal protein source. There was a noticeable difference in recovery and it seemed to be well absorbed as I didn't have an digestive issues.

Mixability: 9.1/10
        I mixed every serving in water and the product completely dissolved within a few shakes with no clumping. I also tried mixing it in a glass with a utensil, but this method proved to leave a few clumps at the bottom, so shaken is the preferred mixing method.

Taste: 9.1/10
        I tried 5 lb. containers of the Chocolate, Strawberry, and Cafe Mocha. The strawberry took me aback at first as I am accustomed to the strawberry flavor of Pro Complex, but after I adjusted, the flavor really grew on me. The chocolate was just as I had expected it to taste, with a cocoa flavor and the slight bitterness that is characteristic of hydrolyzed protein. The cafe mocha turned out to be my favorite from the three, and is the best mocha flavor that I've come across in any protein. Overall, the bitterness of hydrolyzed proteins are hard to mask, but they did an excellent job with Proto Whey.

Ingredient Profile: 9.5/10
        The profile is excellent, having 20 grams of hydrolyzed protein, 3 grams of medium chain triglycerides, 3 grams of micronized psyllium fiber and only 2 grams of sugar.

Value: 8.2/10
        The price of Proto Whey is pretty steep, but considering the excellent ingredient profile and the general pricing of hydrolyzed proteins, it still comes out to be an acceptable price for a great product.

Overall: 9.4/10
        BNRG has a great product here with a good ingredient profile, great mixability, and flavors that will make you look forward to knocking back a quality hydrolyzed protein shake. I would definitely recommend giving Proto Whey a run.

-AP