Power Crunch Proto Whey Reviews

By: BioNutritional

Protein > Whey Protein
Power Crunch Proto Whey is a Whey Protein Powder manufactured by BioNutritional. It is a dairy based protein that supports lean muscle gain by suppling additional protein to recovering muscles, which can also improve fat loss.

July 24, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • No Bloat
  • Protein Ratio
7g carbs
-3g fiber
-3g sugar
3.5g fat

The main highlight is BNRG's trademarked ProtoWhey, which is a hydrolyzed whey via a higher degree of hydrolysis (DH). This level of processing claims that the protein is broken down to as much as 40% di and tri-peptides for fast absorption. Most of the fat content comes from the use of MCT oil. After the maltodextrin and flavoring, SoftPsil (micronized psyllium fiber) accounts for 3g of carbs as fiber.

-Taste/Mixability/Dosing-
The French Vanilla Creme does sound pretty fancy. All I cared about was how close to vanilla it was going to taste. Behold it tasted like a sour vanilla caramel. I originally bought this for my wife who is a texture freak... she couldn't stand the first couple of sips. I have a much more tolerant palate and 'managed' to get through a 5lb container.

This is probably one of the worst mixing proteins I have dealt with. A lot of the additional flavoring and filler will clump up awfully at the bottom no matter how hard you try. Other situations it'll mix decently. The nice part about dosing is that you can scale the protein serving via multiple scoops. Each scoop has 10g of protein.

-Effectiveness-
This is where PowerCrunch Whey has an opportunity to shine. In spite of the filler volume, it still manages to feel as light on the gut as any hydrolyzed whey on the market. The absorption seems to be as quick as advertised.

It may seem like I refer to the remaining volume as filler like it's the usual cheap tactic. I just couldn't find a better word. The protein itself being broken almost into half peptides makes it VERY thin on its own. BNRG at least did what they could to make it a decent mixing and flavoring accomplishment to go along with this protein.

-Value-
This protein has been around for quite a while, including a rebranding to PowerCrunch from the original BNRG ProtoWhey. This means that there are deals to be had. Amazon alone has the widest range of prices for a 5lb: $41-$88. Normal rates for a 5lb container are in the $60-$70 range. Just like any whey isolate, the 2lb container averages a $30 price range but can be found as low as $20-$25.

-Conclusion-
Yes I did give the French Vanilla Creme a bad rating... that's the bad news. The good news is that the flavor isn't around anymore. I happened to find a 5lb of this at my favorite supp storefront for $30... it would've been crazy to pass that up, even if I struggled to tolerate the flavor. The current counterpart is Vanilla Creme. So I hope that this is more of a warning to stay away from this flavor should you come across it. The protein itself has potential and could be well worth a steal if you see one. If anyone reading this is a fan of PowerCrunch bars, I can't imagine it would hurt to give your flavor of choice a try.

Thanks for taking the time.
As usual: thoughts, comments, questions, critique are all welcome.
  • French Vanilla Creme: 4/10

August 29, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Quality Peptide Protein
  • Clean Clean Protein
  • Worth The Value
  • No Prop Blend On Supplement Facts
  • No Fillers It Seems
  • No Bloat
  • Energy Boost
  • Great For Lactose Intolerance
  • High Cholesterol
  • Seems To Finish Quickly

So I found SR when I was looking for unbiased reviews on popular products. I am currently injured and have all the time in the world right now to write a few reviews. I found this product about six months back and I continue to use it. I focus more on strength and am an aspiring powerlifter. I want to stay in the 198-205 pound bodyweight class. When I look for an effective powder I only focus on protein. I don't need excess calories or carbs. A friend recommended me this product so I decided to buy it off of amazon.

The ingredients are pretty straight forward. Micropeptides to make the proto whey. The cholesterol is a little high but it overrides the lack of calories and carbs. There's not a lot of added vitamins and minerals. I'm okay with that. My diet usually takes care of all of those. There's absolutely no proprietary blend with undisclosed amounts of ingredients which is always a plus. The added fiber is pretty nice as well.

I got the cookies and cream flavor. I have no complaints on this at all. The flavor is awesome and the added chocolate chips are an added bonus. I usually would drink one shake in the morning and/or one drink post workout. I would do the suggested serving in the morning with two scoops. Post workout I would use three scoops making it thirty grams of protein. There was no problems with the mixability. There was no clumpiness or any of the powder turn to cement.

This product was extremely effective. I could feel it almost instantly rushing to my muscles. I didn't feel sore and my muscles didn't feel fatigued at all after I was done drinking it. Also while using this product I felt a full feeling afterwards without any bloat. I wouldn't feel the need to rush and get something to eat once I was done drinking this even after a workout. Going into the next day my muscles would be sore but not as bad as when I have used other proteins. Also I would feel refreshed afterwards especially if I was on a stim pre workout. I usually train with close to nothing in my stomach and by the time I am done with my work out I am ready to dry heave. After drinking this I would feel as if I could do it all over again. I never did but I am just painting a picture.

Value on this was mediocre. Pretty much average. I bought the 5.1 lbs tub for around seventy dollars. With sixty-five servings in it, this came out to around a buck and dime per serving. Nothing exciting and I probably paid more per serving since I did three scoops on lift days. Pretty much I would have given this product a 9.5 if the value matched the rest of this product.

Side Effects

No noticeable sides whatsoever. I am prone to being lactose intolerant and I am always looking for powders that don't upset my stomach. This is by far the greatest I have tried. No bloat, no gas, no anything. On top of it the energy kick (probably from the sugars and fiber) was another attribute I greatly enjoyed.

Conclusion

My conclusion on this product is that I would not only recommend this but also keep purchasing it.

September 30, 2013

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Quality Peptide Protein
  • Protein Ratio
I've been slacking on my reviews of late and need to get caught up! Power Crunch Proto Whey ;

Like so many reviewers on SR, I am a Supplement Hoarder/Gatherer, as my wife can attest.

BNRG recently changed their label design on their Protein line. The company is recognized for their incredible tasting protein bars/wafers and should be known for their quality protein as well.

The gold standard for me regarding protein has always been Optimum Whey and Dymatize Iso-100. What has kept me from making Proto Whey a regular staple has been price, around 70.00 for 5#'s. When Muscle & Fitness, Muscle & Strength have their 20% off coupons it goes in the cart immediately.

I found an incredible review on bodybuilding.com and will include the link. No way could I cover the benefits as well as the reviewer did so I will cover the basics and leave it to you if you want more info.

Taste 10/10
Most Hydrolysates have a bitter taste but I did not find this to be the case with Proto Whey. I realize taste is subjective but I can recommend double chocolate with zero reservations. IMO this is the best tasting protein I have encountered so far. Ranked above Syntha-6, optimum whey and Dymatize Iso. Again, it's subjective but I enjoy and look forward to using it.

Mixability 8/10
For such a fine powder it doesn't mix as well as Dymatize Iso but is not too bad. I use a shaker cup with blender ball and sometimes it will have a few small clumps. This may sound weird, but the clumps actually taste good. I have mixed it with 1% milk and prefer this method. I have mixed it with water and it tastes great too.

Cost 7/10
It is a very high quality protein. Proto Whey is 100% Micro Peptides up to 40% di and tripeptides and the best price per pound I was able to find on a regular basis was approx. 12.00, which is not cheap obviously. Sometimes you have to decide if the quality you put in your gut is worth it. It comes out to about buck a shake @ 20grams protein per serving. Mixing w 8 oz milk brings the shake to approx. 31 grams protein.

Conclusion;
two scoops will yield 37grams of which 20grams protein, 7g carbs, 4g total fat, 3g dietary fiber (Softpsil), 2g sugar. Not the best protein ratio compared to iso-100 but I believe the quality of the hydrolysis is second to none. I am lactose intolerant and did not have any issues with bloat or diarrhea that accompanies some proteins. The label doesn't state it is a lactose free product but I did not have any issues.

Recovery has not been an issue but I can't attribute it solely to this product because I take Biorythm Afterglow post work-out.

Here is the link for an in depth review http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/bn/protowhey.html