PB2 Reviews

By: Bell Plantation

FORUM TOPICS

Protein > Other Protein
PB2 is an Alternative Protein Supplement manufactured by Bell Plantation. It provides additional dietary proteins that can increase lean muscle tissue and increase fat loss.

9.5
  May 24, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Tastes Great!
  • Allows For More Protein Intake Without Added Calories
  • Helps Maintain Healthy Caloric Intake Quotas
  • Versatile
  • Can Be A Little Messy

I came across this in the grocery store while shopping for natural peanut butter. I did not buy this the first time I saw it but did do some research on this product and then picked it up on a return trip to the store. I enjoy some peanut butter flavor added to some things so I figured I would give this a whirl.

This is pretty basic. You have roasted peanuts, sugar and salt. Not to repeat what others have added about the way this is made but just to add in what I found when I researched this. They make this by squeezing the natural oils out of the peanuts and dehydrating the remains. This leaves behind the powder we see in this product. This process removes about 85-90% of the fat from the peanut. For macros you get 45 calories, 1.5g of fat, 5g of carbs (which contains 1g of sugar) and 5 grams of protein in a two tablespoon serving.

I have tried both the regular peanut butter and chocolate peanut butter flavors. Both are fantastic. I added two tablespoons (one serving) to my protein shakes. I have also added this to dairy milk and heated it in the microwave to make it warm and then drank it that way. I am not proud to admit that I topped off a scoop of ice cream or two also with this. When mixing it to my protein shakes or milk, it mixed pretty good for the most part. There are times that I would have some residue but nothing to complain about. I would take 1-2 servings per day. I would advise not trying to use this to make a PB and Jelly sandwich. I ventured into this area and made one heck of a mess. I had a strategic plan to put the jelly on first and then the PB on top of the jelly so it would stick to the jelly. Lets just say I had powdered PB all over me and the surface I was eating it on. I'm sure other may have tried this and had success so please share your trade secrets with me. This is also good mixed with oatmeal.

I will judge this on what I expected from this product and how it met the expectations I had. I did not use this product to try and get "huge" or make my muscles "pop" and if I expected this product to do that I would be insane since that is not what this product is intended to do. I was in a cut phase when I first started using this. Since I like the taste of PB but did not want all of the calories that PB contains, I found this product to be a great alternative to PB. I wanted something that would give me a few extra grams of protein per day that did not contain many calories. When I use this I am adding an extra 10 grams of protein to my diet per day (if I take 2 servings per day). Doing the math it adds roughly 70 extra grams of protein per week. When I add this to my protein shakes it will take a protein shake that has 25g and push it to 30g. This product did not cause me any stomach discomfort or gas issues. This product was effective for the fact that I was looking to cut calories but add protein to help me meet my daily macro goal. The fact that it tastes good and is versatile is a bonus.

A1 supplements has this for $4.95 for 15 servings which comes out to $0.33 per serving and if you want to find an even better value A1 supplements also has the larger size container which is 37 servings for $7.95 which comes out to $0.21 per serving. The larger sizes are hard to find when comparison shopping for prices and I think the larger size can only be found in the original flavor. I could not find the chocolate flavor in the larger size.
I usually pick this up at the grocery store for around $5-$6 per container for the smaller size.

Side Effects

----Conclusion---
If you like your PB but are on a cut phase or looking to reduce calories I would advise to try this. Even if you are just looking to add PB flavoring to something this also comes in handy. For those looking to bulk and gain weight I would not use this as a replacement for PB in shakes, etc. but I would still throw this in your bag of tools so you can pull it out when you need or want it. This is a nice little resource to have to add flavoring to shakes or other food items that you think PB would taste good with. I like it for the fact that if I add it to my protein shakes which I consume twice a day usually, it is an extra 10 grams of protein daily.
  • Original Peanut Butter: 8/10
  • Chocolate Peanut Butter: 8/10

Overall
Overall
9.3
  May 17, 2016

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Tastes Great!
  • Allows For More Protein Intake Without Added Calories
  • Helps Maintain Healthy Caloric Intake Quotas
  • Nutty Goodness
  • Versatile

I cant say enough about this stuff. I started using this about 2 years ago, and i was about as skeptical about a powdered food as you can be. This stuff has found a permanent home in my kitchen cabinet. I'm personally a bigger fan of the chocolate pb, but i always have both on hand for any snacking scenario. So i'm back with a run down on this gem.

It's just powdered peanut butter, warmachine did a great job of explaining how it's made if you wanna check that out, and after all is said and done you're left with roasted peanuts, salt, & sugar. Which comes out to 45 cal/13 fat cal/1.5g fat/5 carbs/5 protein. This in comparison to regular peanut butter, or even the all natural peanut butter is purely amazing.

This stuff taste absolutely amazing, seriously. I've always been a bit of a peanut butter fan, but sometimes it can get a little thick for my liking. And thats where the beauty of this product SHINES. I never knew how much i liked runny peanut butter, but it's amazing. It always mixes up quite easily, sometimes you have to run a spoon around the edges to scrape some powder and make sure you dont miss any, but not much of a hassle. Dosing is 2 teaspoons, and i just mix water accordingly, adding til i get it where i want it.

I have to give the effectiveness 10/10 based on the versatility of this product. It's great to eat alone, can take your protein shake to the next level, and i could literally type an endless list to the amount of things i have added this to that blew my mind. Just to name a few i love adding this to, yogurt, pb&j, shakes, and any fruit! This gives people a perfect low calorie/low fat option to have a great snack, and definitely changed the way i diet.

I've got this from a few supplement shops but started picking it up at walmart since they started carrying it, and from the best i remember it has always been around $6-8, and with the amount of stuff i use this for it is a great value.

Side Effects

The only side effect for me has been the false feeling of thinking im a 5 star chef and seeing what all i can effectively add this to. lol

Conclusion

If you are a peanut butter lover, or a chocolate lover, i highly recommend that you go pick this up. Play around with it, try it with anything that appeals to you. More than likely you wont be disappointed!

August 30, 2014

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Tastes Great!
    • Allows For More Protein Intake Without Added Calories
    • Helps Maintain Healthy Caloric Intake Quotas
    • Versatile
    • Nutty Goodness
    • A Little Pricey
    • Mix Needs To Be Precise
    • Can Be A Little Messy
    I've been an avid user of PB2 for quite sometime now, so I think it is only right I review it. As I am sure it is already known, PB2 is a powdered low calorie and low fat alternative version of traditional peanut butter. This allows users to achieve that satisfying nutty goodness and health benefits of traditional peanut butter without the added fat and calories. Clearly, this is a positive for those monitoring caloric intake.

From what I understand the process involved in making PB2 includes roasting high quality all natural peanuts and then pressing them in a fashion that removes the fat containing substances, namely the oils. This leaves behind the powdered contents that is PB2. So essentially, PB2 is peanuts that have been roasted and pressed. It is also worth noting that if you are a chocolate lover than PB2 chocolate will definitely be a staple for you.

Taste (10): Simply put; if you enjoy peanuts and all natural peanut butter, than you will enjoy PB2. Also, the taste can vary if you add PB2 to baking recipes or other uses such as protein shakes and smoothies. Still, it provides a pleasant nutty flavor to whatever you add to it along with protein and healthy fats. As an added bonus, if you use the chocolate PB2, you'll get a pleasant bitter-sweet chocolate flavor as well.

Usage: In addition to making peanut butter with PB2 and water, my most common use with PB2 is adding it to morning or mid-afternoon protein shakes and smoothies. I often use one scoop of a protein supplement of my choice and then two tablespoons of PB2 with some fruit and milk or almond milk. The result is a delicious, healthy, muscle-building concoction with plenty of the good stuff and less of the bad. With PB2 chocolate, I especially enjoy adding it to cereals, oatmeal, and greek yogurt. OF course, the regular PB2 is great for this as well. In terms of baking, I haven't tried too many recipes with PB2. I've made pancakes with PB2 chocolate and have also made muffins with PB2 original. Both were awesome and indeed a great way to satisfy your "cheat meal" desires.

Effectiveness (10): Well, PB2 is basically food so to say it is "effective" boils down to what you expect from it. As I stated earlier, PB2 is a great way of getting added natural protein and healthy fats into your diet while avoiding unwanted excess calories and fat. Provided that your diet is clean in general, PB2 can be highly effective in helping you achieve your protein and calorie requirements. With PB2 chocolate, it can also help prevent those sweet tooth temptations you may get every now and then, reducing your risk of caving into those guilty cravings.

Value (7): A 6.5 oz jar of PB2 can run to about 6 dollars. A one-pound bag can be about $8.25. These seem like fair prices for such a high quality product. However, depending on how frequently you use PB2, the price can add up somewhat. Still, I wouldn't hesitate in the investment provided you don't depend too heavily on this product. I believe it is worth having a one-pound bag on hand every month, especially when your on any calorie restricted diets.

Overall (10): Provided you have no peanut allergies, PB2 is a worthy staple to include in your diet as a way to help get those extra grams of protein and healthy fats while keeping the excess calories and unwanted fat to a minimum. Don't hesitate to be creative with it, particularly if you use the chocolate flavor. Add a couple of tablespoons to your shakes, smoothies, food preparations, and recipes and you won't be disappointed.

WARMACHINE OUT!!!

March 16, 2014

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Tastes Great!
    • A Little Pricey
    • Mix Needs To Be Precise
    I'll start by saying that I'm a peanut butter addict. When people ask me what I eat peanut butter with, my reply is "a spoon". While peanut butter can be considered a 'healthy fat', too much can be a problem. Then along came PB2 :)

I was skeptical at first-I mean, how can this compare to real peanut butter. Lo and behold though, when I mixed up my first taste of PB2, I was blown away. It really did taste like the real thing!

Since I'm also a fan of several of the protein peanut butters on the market, I decided to try to make my own by mixing in some protein powder and adjusting the amount of water. My favorite combination thus far has been Pumpkin Pie PB2 peanut butter. Not sure what I'm going to do when I run out of pumpkin pie protein...

PB2 also mixes great with oatmeal, Greek yogurt and protein shakes. I've also baked with it when I decide to make a batch of protein brownies. I don't think there is anything you CAN'T put this in.

My only 2 critiques is that if you're off on your water, it can mix a little too thin. Easy to keep adding water if it's too thick, but you can't take it away once it's in there. It can also get a little expensive if you buy the small jars-so I buy the 1lb. bags.

By the way, Bell Plantation also makes a Chocolate Peanut Butter powder that is equally as awesome. I get both varieties auto-shipped to me every month!