PRO Post Recovery Optimizer Reviews

By: Barwis Methods

PRO Post Recovery Optimizer is a Post-Workout Protein Supplement manufactured by Barwis Methods. It is designed to feed the muscles with protein, carbs and amino acids immedaitely following a workout to assist in muscle recovery and growth.

November 21, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Fast Recovery
  • Tastes Great
  • Great Post Workout Carb Source
  • NSF Certified For Sport
So I had never heard of this Barwis method until the Tv show American muscle. I really liked the show, I liked his training principles and philosophy behind everything. So when I seen this up for grabs I jumped on it. I felt like if this guy his good enough to train the elites and pros he most likely knows something about supplements. Now Ron has already reviewed it and broken a lot of things down that I will only be repeating somewhat so please give credit where credit is due.

Profile.
I do not feel this was a terrible profile. Yes things are underdosed on some things but I feel that most likely most will be supplementing with creatine and taurine and others anyway. I feel this was most designed for the simple easy carbs and protein and the rest thrown in for good measure.

Taste
I had the strawberry/watermelon flavor, and although that to me was a strange mix, it was actually pretty good. Not over sweet just enough.

Mixing
Being the 2 big scoops it is rather thick , but it mixed as easy as nutrabio does. Reminds me of it too. It kinda melts when it hits water. A touch foamy but not bad.

This is where it matters. Now we all need a good diet for Gainz , no such supplement is going to change that. Not one. But I feel these supplements like this can fill an area in between the much wanted anabolic window. First let me say I never had any stomach discomfort or bad bathroom trips from this so that is a huge plus to me, as some have been known to do that from time to time.
Now we know we must feed ourselves after those hard gym sessions. Science shows that an insulin spike helps shuttle everything better than anything we can do. I know some people will take a protein shake and eat some gummy worms. Pretty much the same thing.
Now I have a hard time getting a meal in while I am still in the Anabolic window , so for me , something like this is great. I can take this and head home, prepare my food and then sit down and eat. This is very light on me so I am still able to eat a decent size man meal too.
Did I have better recovery from the gym from this? Well My lifts went up, I was not destroyed the next few days like I have been known to be from time to time. Is this the reason? Most likely no, but I feel this did fill in the gaps.

Okay this is where It drops a bit for me. In this bag you get 20 servings, ( although I am almost positive it was closer to 30 ) you will pay out 58 bucks
( but this is if you subscribe to their site and emails ) If not you will pay 65 bucks! I would hope that he tries to get this out to some other vendors and gets that price down some, If not I feel this is just too much at either price. When I can drink a protein shake and get gummy worms at a dollar tree.

Overall
Yes I did like it, I feel it is overpriced for what it is though. I wish it had some other flavors. I did however like that it came in a bag,( less trash ) I really wish others would do this too, ( it's my way of saving the planet ). I feel he has spent some time designing this for the kind of people and clients he trains. I was glad I had a chance to try this and would hope to see this brand put out some others products for other SR.com members to try out.
Thanks Barwis method for the Opportunity.
  • Strawberry Watermelon: 8/10

Overall
Overall
5.5
  November 12, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Tastes Great
  • NSF Certified For Sport
  • Banana Flavor Is Amazing With Milk!
  • Creatine Is Underdosed
  • Simple Carbs May Be Too High For Some Users

Claims

-------------------
Designed explicitly to supply the body with the most important nutrients to support rapid and complete recovery after your workout.

Ingredients

-------------
Dextrose, maltodextrin and sucralose make up the largest group of ingredients in this mix and are all simple carbs. They are used to cause an insulin spike post workout which acts directly to shuttle the included whey isolate and concentrate protein blend of amino acids into your freshly destroyed muscle fiber at the cellular level.

Also included are the additional amino acids:

Glutamine to help with muscle growth and recovery as well as support a healthy immune system.

L-Arginine to help improve blood flow and energy production.

Taurine to help support mental focus, energy levels and protein absorption.

And last, but not least, an under-dosed 2.5g creatine monohydrate to help promote muscular growth, endurance and recovery.

Dosage

------------------
I used this product as directed, taking 2 scoops mixed with 20oz of cold water immediately following my workouts.

Taste / Mixing

-----------
PRO comes in 2 flavors, Strawberry Watermelon and Banana. The flavor I received was banana and though it tasted like the unnatural candy variety, it was very easy to drink post workout. 2 large 50g scoops mixed with cold water completely and easily with just a few shakes. On a few occasions I used milk which made the drink much more creamy tasting. If you desire the extra macros in your diet that milk offers, I highly recommend using milk as it is DELICIOUS!!!

--------------------
The only place I was able to find any of the Barwis Methods products was on their website. Understandably you expect to see high prices on any flagship site and this is obviously done so as not to undercut the brick and mortar shops purchasing bulk for resale. However, if you only sell your BM products on the BM website then you can certainly cut some deals. Not so here. A 4.4 pound bag of Post Recovery Optimizer will run you $65. This breaks down to $3.25 per serving and honestly for these basic ingredients, this is way overpriced. For that kind of money I need to see some other ingredients like HBCD and PeptoPro. Even 100% isolate would be a slight improvement over the added whey concentrate. And why only 2.5g of creatine? If you're gonna add it, do so at its effective maintenance dose.

------------
Simple science tells us that after a hard workout our muscles are energy depleted. Consuming simple carbs at this time creates an insulin response. This insulin sends the simple carbs and protein to your starving muscle cells to restore energy and repair the damage making the muscle bigger and stronger for the next gym onslaught.

For those of you that have been following my reviews over the past several years, you may recall a time when I was running blood glucose testing on myself to gage my personal response to several different post workout formulas. I truly wish I had that data to include here, but needless to say, I'm no stranger to extreme levels of simple carb spiking following a strenuous workout. What it taught me is that I personally don't need over 25g of simple carbs to generate a high glucose spike and proposed insulin response. However, this is BM's special recipe so I followed instructions and subjected myself to 42g carbs as directed.

BW claims that this PRO is designed to supply the body with the most important nutrients to support rapid and complete recovery after your workout. The pre-mentioned simple science wouldn't argue too hard with this statement and while I can think of a few other things the body needs post-workout, I won't argue the point here.

I will simply say that there is no doubt in my mind that all individual components of PRO perform as expected in regards to post workout recovery.

Does this mean I experienced less DOMS? No. As a matter of fact, in some cases I think I experienced more DOMS than my usual post-workout concoction.

Did I notice a difference in strength or body composition from this product? No

-----------

Side Effects

-------------
No bloating or GI issues, however it did destroy my appetite for a solid 2 hours following consumption.

------------

Final Words

-------------
As I stated earlier, this is a very simple blend of ingredients that are scientifically proven to aid in post workout recovery. And while I believe the complete mixture could be improved with the addition of some higher quality ingredients, the fact remains that simple is as simple does and will work as intended. I just can't get over how all of the ingredients included are very cheap to purchase individually. Added to this fact is that it's packaged in one of the simplest foil bags only aids to hammer one point home for me. BM put the cheapest product in the cheapest package and charges an outrageous price for it. Granted it is "NSF Certified for Sport" and while that means nothing to the average gym goer, maybe it means something to you and therefore adds value to its true intended audience.

November 11, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Fast Recovery
  • Tastes Great
  • Great Post Workout Carb Source

First off I would like to thank Barwis Methods for being a part of the SR Troop program. I received a 20 serving bag of Pro Post Recovery Optimizer in exchange for an honest review. This was the first time taking a Barwis Methods product as I really haven't heard of them before this log/review.

According to their website: PRO Post Recovery Optimizer
    Complete post workout nutrition to support rapid recovery and optimize performance with 42g of fast-acting carbohydrates and 36g of whey protein isolate and concentrate*. NSF Certified for Sport.

The ingredient profile is pretty basic with some add in's that help make this product great. In each serving your getting 36g of whey isolate and whey concentrate along with 42g of carbs. The carbs come in the form of dextrose and maltodextrin. Other ingredients include Glutamine 5g, Creatine Monohydrate 2.5g, L-Arginine 2g and Taurine 2g. While looking at the other ingredients included I saw an ingredient that I heard of but really didn't know much about (Lecithin).

Lecithin - A fat that is essential in the cells of the body. It can be found in many foods, including soybeans and egg yolks. It's used as a food additive keeping ingredients from separating, in medicines and treating cancer/diseases. http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-966-LECITHIN.aspx?activeIngredientId=966&activeIngredientName=LECITHIN&source=0

Taste - I received the Strawberry Watermelon flavor and to say it tasted great would be an understatement. It pretty much tasted like candy and was looking forward to drinking it right after every workout. It's hard for me to give a 10/10 for flavor but this comes darn close.

Mixability - I never had any issues with mixing, while you use 2 large scoops there was never any kind of clumping or settling. You don't really have to mix it with a lot of water, I used 8-12 oz and it seemed to do the trick.

Dosing - I followed to dosing instructions on the bag. It's pretty simple: Mix 2 scoops (100g) in water or sports drink and take immediately after training.

This is where the product shined the most for me. I could tell the product was working when I noticed increases in recovery and strength. Doms were significantly reduced for the most part and I felt recovered from most workouts. I feel like there isn't another product out there comparable to this and I've tried many other post workout products. This is almost a 10/10 but I'm giving it a 9/10.

You can find Barwis Methods Pro Post Recovery Optimizer on their website for $64.99. Your looking at $3.25 per serving (20 servings) or if you do a 30 day subscription you can save 10%. To me this a good value for a complete post workout product that gives you 36g of protein and 42g of carbs.

Side Effects

(None)

Conclusion

Once again I want to thank Barwis Methods for giving Troopers the opportunity to review their solid products. I would definitely recommend the product to my family and friends. I wish I had the money to continually buy a 30 day subscription for Pro Post Recovery Optimizer. Can't wait to try there other products since I enjoyed this one so much.
    • Strawberry Watermelon: 9/10