MEAT-SNX: Crispy Protein Bites Reviews

By: Barndad Nutrition

6.8

(Better than 4% in Protein > Protein Bars)

MEAT-SNX: Crispy Protein Bites is a Protein Bar manufactured by Barndad Nutrition. It is a quick, conveinient source of protein and commonly used as a meal replacement. The additional protein can help increase muscle mass as well as promote fat loss.

January 18, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Convenient
  • Feels Like A Snack
  • Great Profile
  • Chicken Protein
  • A Bit Expensive
  • Flavor Can Get Old Fast
  • Taste Good At First But Eventually Bad Taste
  • Added Pea Protein

Sup, SR family? I'm back with another review. Like many of you, I sometimes eat protein bars or add some things to my protein powder to make a meal replacement shake. However, sometimes you need to take a break and try something new for a change. Barndad Nutrition has the perfect remedy for the between meal doldrums with some chicken protein-infused snacks. Meat SNX Crispy Protein Bites is a handy, portable way to get those precious macros. Thanks to Barndad Nutrition for supporting the TROOPS.

This is not your father's Chex Mix. Barndad Nutrition managed to throw together crispy corn bites, almonds and peanuts (in certain flavors), and add a unique protein source--chicken protein isolate. Here's the breakdown.

20g protein
6g fiber
15g fat
16g carbs
250g sodium
1g sugar
270 calories
The protein is CHICKPRO Chicken Protein Isolate and Pea Protein Isolate. I'm not sure why the pea protein was added; it's not a complete protein source. Had this been the sole source of protein, I would say that this is perfect for vegans.

Overall, the profile looks pretty solid. Hitting your daily protein and other daily macros should be a little easier when supplementing with this product. The sodium and fat content are a little on the high side, so I would usually eat the snacks either an hour prior or immediately following a workout. I understand that the added peanuts and almonds add to the fat content there are other flavors without nuts that have considerably lower amounts of fat. I still think that these snacks are a good alternative to protein bars.

I requested the sriracha flavor because it was one of two flavors that had peanuts and almonds (I love almonds!) The flavor was sweet and spicy at the same time; they didn't skimp on the almonds. However, the smell was a little offensive. I made sure that I had a toothbrush and toothpaste handy for when I finished each bag. As others have stated, the first 2 or 3 bags were enjoyable, but it got old very quickly. I actually had to force myself to finish the case. It's not that the flavor was bad; it just didn't wow me. It just meh'd me. Barndad Nutrition does offer these in other flavors like Cheese Pizza, Cinnamon Bun, Ranch, and Sweet BBQ. So, I guess there's one for everyone.

Effectiveness...? How can I explain this? Meat SNX are high in protein and have a moderate amount of fat, so it could be taken as a meal replacement. I felt full after eating a bag, but fullness lasted for maybe a half hour. This is best used as a between-meal snack or maybe a quick pre-or-post-workout snack.

I was able to find Meat Snx online for between $24-26, and on Lucky Vitamin for $21.62. This adds up to about $2.75 per serving. It's a little on the pricey side, but it's very convenient and a break from protein bars...if you don't get tired of the flavor as quickly as I did.

Side Effects

Conclusion

Overall, I think that Barndad is on the right track with the protein snack idea, but the flavor, while not bad, just doesn't pop. Perhaps a little tweaking on the flavor would make this a hit. It's not a bad product; just not something that I'd be in a ruch to purchase again.
  • Sriracha: 7/10

Other Prices:
Amazon   $23.62
Barndad Nutrition   $23.92

January 12, 2018

• Taste Good At First But Eventually Bad Taste

Thank you to Barndad nutrition for a different kind of protein. When you do construction you never know where you're going so you need a quick easy snack. This is why I decided to try.

Chicken protein isolate
20g protein
6g fiber
6g fat
15g carbs
1g sugar
190 calories

ChickPro Meat Crisp (is what Barndad calls it) is Chicken Protein Isolate, Pea Protein Isolate, Rice Flour, Litesse Fiber, Canola Oil, Seasoning (Fructose, Maltodextrin, Salt, Brown Sugar, Onion Powder, Honey, Spices, Sugar, Torula Yeast, Garlic Powder, Yeast Extract, Natural Smoke Flavor, extractive of Paprika, Natural Flavors, Citric Acid, sucrose). The core ingredients are chicken protein isolate and pea protein isolate so I will not cover the other ingredients. The other ones are for taste and to preserve it. A protein isolate is from milk used as a by-product of the cheese-making process. Protein isolates contain more pure protein. Chicken protein isolate powder provides the pure protein in a small chip/snack like form that is allergen free. Chicken is used in diet plans due to the protein amount and flavor, so a great idea to try chicken in an easier way than just cooking chicken. Pea protein is another form of protein, but not a complete form of protein since it comes from peas. Pea protein isolate is a protein sold in powder form and found in vegan supplements.

The mixability and dosing were already done as packaged together. The big question here is the taste. It is kind of hard to explain so I am going to do the best that I can. The flavor I got was the sweet barbecue. The taste is similar to what you get from a barbecue flavored chip. The weird taste was the real flavor outside the barbecue sweet taste. Crunchy and seemed to stick to my teeth a lot. The easiest way I can explain the crunch is like a thick corn chip. When having this for the 1st time, the 1st few bites I enjoyed but by the end of a package, I had about all I could take as far as it goes with taste. This is definitely a unique taste for me but the only thing I can compare to is a thick, crunchy, barbeque flavored corn chip.

The effectiveness part of this is pretty easy for me to explain. High in protein so something that fit in with my diet plan. It left me feeling full but not for an extended amount of time. I would usually get about an hour or two before I was ready for something else to eat. They say a meal replacement. but I would not consider it a meal replacement so that part not effective. I would put it into a class of a snack. As far as it goes with a protein source, I would put it in a class like a protein shake so an effective source of protein. I give the protein part as effective.

I was able to find online for around $24-26, but I did find it on luckyvitamin.com for $22 for the 8 containers per box. This works out to $2.75 per container. I am giving this a low ranking as a snack but a decent rating if used as a meal replacement.

Side Effects

No side effects noticed

Conclusion

So, in conclusion, not something that I would recommend for a meal replacement, which is what it claims. This is a pretty expensive snack. The cost is too high for me if being used as a snack. If a meal replacement, the price is ok. It does have a high amount of protein in it without having to have a protein shake or cooking chicken to eat later. A quick 20 gram of protein is definitely something that is a high value. But in the end, I give it a low ranking because of cost and the taste is off.
  • Sweet BBQ : 6/10

Other Prices:
Amazon   $23.62
Barndad Nutrition   $23.92

January 10, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Convenient
  • Feels Like A Snack
  • Great Profile
  • Chicken Protein
  • A Bit Expensive
  • Flavor Can Get Old Fast

38 years old and I lift 4 days a week. I weigh in at 240 pounds so I require quite a bit of protein daily, so I like to turn to alternative ways to achieve this goal to supplement my food intake other than a shake. I had never heard of Barndad Nutrition before, and their protein snack had me intrigued, so I decided to give the Crispy Protein Bites a go. Thank you very much to SR and Barndad Nutrition for allowing me the opportunity to review this product for you. Lets see if this aided my taste buds.

Each bag of snacks is 43g and nets you 190 Calories (50 from fat), 6g Total Fat (1g Saturated), 220mg Sodium, 15g Carbs (6g Dietary Fiber, 1g Sugar), 20g Protein, and 205mg Calcium. The protein is CHICKPRO Chicken Protein Isolate and Pea Protein Isolate. This snack is definitely taking the more natural type approach for its protein sources, which I think is pretty cool these days.

Overall, this is not a bad profile for anyone out there. You can easily fit this in to hit your daily macros, the only gripe would be the sodium is a bit high, but thats not that bad really. Compared to most protein bars out there this is a pretty good profile for a snack, and a good alternative.

Taste: I recieved the Sweet BBQ flavor. My first couple of bags I really did enjoy the flavor, but by the fourth or fifth bag I got tired of it. It was not bad overall, just got bland very quickly. There was a small hint of bbq flavor in this, nothing overwhelming. It tastes fine overall. They do offer a bunch of other flavors such as Cheese Pizza, Cinnamon Bun, Ranch, and Siracha. So basically, you can find a flavor to fit your needs here.

Mixability: Nothing to report here as these are snack bites, like a mini chex mix. Very easy to eat.

Dosing: I would use this as my afternoon snack in between lunch and dinner. Obviously you would use this to supplement your food intake to achieve your daily macro goals, so you can dose it as needed.

Being its a protein snack I can really only judge the effectiveness on if it satisfied my appetite and my enjoyment of it. I did enjoy the MEAT-SNX very much at first, thought it was a different concept than a shake or a bar, but around the fifth bag I got tired of the snack. I would pour it into a small bowl and eat away, but the snack always left a small sticky residue on my fingers, which is no big deal, but made it a little inconvenient to eat on the go. It was nice having this snack to munch on, but as I said around the fifth bag the flavor enjoyment was gone and it just felt like work to get through the bags. I think if I had a flavor I truly loved, then it would be a different story, really this product boils down to flavor. Not bad overall though, and I think its a great approach for a protein snack. No weird digestibility issues or anything like that and it did satisfy me the way a snack should, meaning it did not leave me hungry 10 minutes later. So it is effective when used as a snack!

You can get a box of 8 bags for $21.89 from Bariatricpal.com or $23.49 from Amazon. This comes out to around $2.74 a bag. Of course protein powder is cheaper, but I would just compare this to Protein bars as its in the same market of sorts. This would be on the slightly expensive end as most protein bars are in the low 2 dollar mark these days. So slightly pricey here, but at least you are getting something different than a bar or powder, and the value to me personally goes up a little bit because it does suffice to aid in those snack cravings, and this really feels like a snack!

Side Effects

Conclusion

I would recommend this snack to anyone that wants to try something different to hit their daily protein goals other than a shake or a bar. I like the unique approach and this is great as a snack you can just veg out and watch TV or what not. I like that it actually feels like a snack versus a bar. I think flavor plays a huge role in this, so everyone will have different experiences with this, but I am likely going to pick up a box again in the future because Cheese Pizza, Ranch, and Cinnamon Bun sound like amazing flavors! One note to Barndad Nutrition, maybe you guys should look into offering a variety pack of these so this way you can avoid people getting tired of the same flavor quickly. Just a thought, thanks again!!
  • Sweet BBQ : 6/10

Overall
Overall
5.5
  December 24, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Convenient
  • No Taste

What's up guys? I love any sort of protein alternative snack (as evident by the fact that I ate about 2 per day and flew through this 8 pack) and was very excited to get to try this product. As always, I'd like to thank all the people at SR and at Barndad Nutrition.

8 bags total
Protein: 20g
Calcium: 205mg
Sugar: 1g
Sodium: 220mg

As far as the label goes, I'm a pretty big fan of it. 190 calories isn't too high for people on cut to fit it into their nutrition plan and obviously not hard for anyone lean/dirty bulking. 1g of Sat fat and 1g of sugar is beautiful considering most 'normal people' snacks are wayyyyyy worse. My favorite part was the 6g of fiber and 205mg of Calcium. This snack is a great way to get a good chunk of your daily fiber/ calcium intake in. If you are watching your sodium however, you have to keep an eye on the 220mg included in this packet.

ChikPRO Meat Crisp (ChikPRO Chicken Protein Isolate, Pea Protein Isolate, Rice Flour, Litesse Fiber)

Canola Oil

Seasoning (Fructose, Maltodextrin, Salt, Brown Sugar, Onion Powder, Honey, Spices, Sugar, Torula Yeast, Garlic Powder)

The highlight of this product is the protein that is made from real chicken. Looking at the additional ingredients it's all stuff that the average consumer can recognize. For most dirty manufacturer foods, trying to read the label is like trying to rewrite a math algorithm backwards. All in all, I liked the label and was very excited to tear open the package.

Taste: I received the 'Sweet BBQ' flavor and was excited because in my younger years this was one of my favorite flavors of chips. The texture was nice and crunchy like any other snack food which gives it that 'mindless snack food' feel like popcorn when you're watching a movie. The taste, however, was almost nonexistent! I took package after package and brushed my teeth multiple times so that I could get a clean taste test but nothing. I got a veryyyyyy faint BBQ taste but other than that it almost felt like an unflavored product. It was not bad, however since taste is the driving force behind reaching for a snack (besides Macro's) I was left perplexed.

Mixibility: Not applicable (unless you wanted to throw them in your blender and mix them into a shake)

Dosage: 1 package is 1 serving. It's portable so it couldn't be any more convenient for you to get some extra protein in your daily caloric intake.

Protein snacks, like protein powders, can be difficult to judge their effectiveness because you can't exactly 'feel' its immediate effects. It is a great way to increase your protein intake which can in return increase protein synthesis and therefore increase your gains. It's probably the most convenient way to increase your protein intake because all you have to do is open the package and start eating, you don't need water or any other containers. It's great for when your at school or work and maybe don't have access to all the materials needed to make a protein shake.

The cheapest price I could find online was at Optimal Nutrition for $22.77 (8 count of bars). That comes out to $2.85 per pack. It's definitely not cheap and there are many cheaper sources of protein.

Side Effects

NONE ( just left wanting a more potent taste!!!)

Conclusion

This product is a great idea with a great label but leaves me disappointed with the lack of taste. I'm not sure if I would consider this product again because, at least for me, taste is the driving force behind any snack. I do force feed myself healthy bland meals every day, but I can't make myself do the same for a non-necessity snack.