(Better than 87% in Pre-Workout > Stimulant)

PRICES
(30 sv) - [$0.88/sv]

Barbender Nutrition
Torque is a Pre-Workout manufactured by Barbender Nutrition. It is designed to help provide a pre-training advantage by increasing mental focus, muscle performance, endurance and blood flow. This creates an environment optimal for increasing muscle mass and losing body fat.

January 17, 2018

• Good Endurance
  • Good Focus
  • Underdosed In Areas
  • Moderate Pump
A big thanks to the peeps over at Barbender Nutrition for providing this product to the TROOPs. It's not too hard to find a pre-workout these days, finding a good one however is a much bigger task. Here is how Torque stacked up for me:

Dosage

One scoop, taken 20-30 minutes prior to workout.

Ingredient Profile (7/10)

This profile starts off on a rather high note with 3 grams of Beta Alanine, which is the bare minimum I feel you should take if you're going to use it. Next up is 3 grams of AAKG and 3 grams of Citrulline Malate. Personally I feel they would have been better served ditching the AAKG and going with 6 grams of Citrulline as I feel AAKG doesn't do much for pumps, or at least not as much as Citrulline does. One and quarter grams of Betaine is next in the formula, which is a little underdosed as 2 grams is more of the baseline for an effective dose. 500 mg of Tyrosine for focus support, and this does pack a somewhat moderate dose of caffeine with 280 mg. It falls right in line with the 250 to 300 mg range that I prefer. So while there are some good ingredients in this, it does lack in some areas.

Mixture (8/10)

Pre-workout mixture is a lot like Russian Roulette in terms of if you're going to get a product that mixes fully, with Torque it leans more towards the mixes fully side. Very minimal undissolved powder left over and no lumps or clumps.

Taste (7/10)

I sampled the Watermelon flavor for this product. It was not terrible, but nothing to write home about. It did taste a little on the "chemically" side in my opinion, but definitely palatable and tolerable.

Effectiveness (7.5/10)

Here's my breakdown on the 5 points of performance I look at in a Pre-Workout product:

*Strength- No creatine in this formula or anything to truly support strength performance, so this gets a "D" in that category.

*Endurance- An adequate supply of Beta Alanine will help you with muscle endurance, Beta Alanine is one of the few ingredients I truly believe in and hang my hat on, "B+" grade in this area.

*Pumps- Low on the Citrulline side, and include AAKG which I find to be subpar performer when it comes to providing pumps compared to Citrulline or Agmatine. I wasn't blown away with the pumps I got from this, so gets a "C" in this area.

*Energy- A good dose of caffeine that won't tweak you out, but will set you up to throw some weight around. Energy gets a "B" grade.

*Focus- 500 mg of Tyrosine is a sufficient dose for focus. No tunnel vision or Nootropic like effects, but decent focus factor. This gets a "B-" grade.

Value (9/10)

While not widely available, you can get this for a reasonable price at Barbender's website for $26.49 for 30 servings, or 88 cents a serving. This does make for a good baseline product at this price that you could go buy some bulk aminos like Citrulline or Agmatine and creatine to add to this and still come out at a decent per serving price.

Conclusion and Verdict

Torque is a pre-workout product that while decent in some areas, overall is very mediocre and moderate overall. With the tight competition field in the pre-workout arena, this is a product that fades into obscurity without standing out or distinguishing itself. It would be good to use as a base product if you want to add more to it though and is a good value. While far from the worst product I've used, this wasn't good enough for me to give a thumbs up to. So a "Meh" rating from me.
  • Watermelon: 7/10

January 15, 2018

• Sustained Energy

What is up guys? It's time for the best kind of review, a pre-workout review. Pre-workouts are the holy grail of supplements for every "Gym Bro" out there. The crack of the industry. I'd like to give a big shoutout to Barbender Nutrition for putting their product up for review and all the great people at SR for making this review possible. Let's jump right into the action.

Here's the highlights:
    3g of Beta-Alanine: The endurance juggernaut with clinical doses at roughly 3.2g per serving. 3 grams is very close to this and will be very close to the same effects. You'll also get those coveted tingly sensations in your face that make you feel like you can run through a wall.

3g of L-Arginine (AAKG): Increases N.O. production/ vascularity which in turn can increase recovery and distribution of resources throughout the body. 3g is a pretty good dose of this acid.

3g of L-Citrulline Malate: The pump chasers favorite acid. Clinical doses are around 6g.

280mg of Caffeine: As an avid coffee drinker my caffeine tolerance is high even when cycling off of caffeine substances, so I always look for at least 250mg of caffeine in my pre-workout products.

1.25g of Betaine: Like Beta-Alanine, this helps you power through those late sets, but here its underdosed.

The formula also includes 500mg N Acetyl L-Tyrosine, 5mg BioPerine, and a high amount of Folate. Overall, this is a solid ingredient list with good doses of some main ingredients and low doses for others. I'm tempering my expectations, but still hoping for good results.

Taste: Watermelon was a little sweet for my taste. It helps 'wake you up' for that first set though lol.

Mixibility: No issues here. It dissolves right in after couple good shakes in a blender bottle.

Dosage: I personally used roughly 1 and a half scoops per serving. I found that 20 mins pre-workout was my preferred sweet spot when taking this product. It was very simple and easy.

This was a very good, but not quite great product in terms of effectiveness. The beta-alanine gave me solid tingles and lengthened the duration of my workouts effectively. The combination of AAKG and Citrulline gave me pretty good pumps (this was my main knock on this product). I felt like the pumps could've been a lot better, but they weren't bad by any means. The caffeine was just enough to give me a clean jolt of energy to kickstart my workout. I wasn't 'smashing through walls' while using this product, but it was more of a steady energy that made me feel like I could keep pushing myself progressively throughout the workout. It's not the kind of pre-workout that smacks you in the face if you get what I'm saying.

The best value I could find for Torque was on Amazon. As of right now, the tub costs $26.86 or .90 cents per serving. A viable pre-workout for less than a dollar per serving is more than fair and is an awesome plus for this product.

Side Effects

NONE

Conclusion

For its' price range, this is one of the better pre-workouts on a per serving basis. As far as the overall profile is concerned, I think this is a very good pre-workout but not an over the time great pre-workout. With that said I had a lot of good grind sessions while using this product and would absolutely recommend it to my fellow gym rats.

January 2, 2018

• Increased Recovery
    • Red Dye

First off I want to thank Barbender Nutrition for letting us troopers have the chance to give this product a try. Barbender is a newer company just getting started in the supplement business. Until they put this product on the trooper program I had never heard of this company. Right now this pre-workout is the only product they make. After checking this product out a little bit I thought it looked kind of interesting and thought I would give it a try plus I was in the need of a new workout to try. For being a new company I was rather surprised with how this product worked for me.

You get a total of 7 main ingredients in this. Everything is fully transparent at solid dosages. Also like that they use no prop blends in this and list everything you get in this. Here are the 7 main ingredients you get in this. This has stuff in here to help you with energy, pumps, and focus.
    3g of Beta Alanine
    3g of L-AAKG
    3g of L Citrulline Malate
    500mg of N-Acetyl-L-Tyrosine
    280mg of Caffeine
    1.25g of Betaine Anhydrous
    5mg of Bioperine

From the profile you can see that everything is pretty well dosed for the most part. The amount of caffeine they put in this might be a little bit on the low side especially if your someone that is more stm tolerant. I like to get between 300 to 350mg of caffeine. I kind of liked the little bit lower amount of caffeine just because I tend to consume a lot of caffeine the way it is and to take a little less is probably good for me.

This comes in two flavors fruit punch and watermelon. I decided to go with the fruit punch. It had been awhile since I have had anything fruit punch and decided to give that flavor another try. I thought overall this tasted pretty good. Not to overly sweet, tart or overly powering on taste. There was a slight chemical taste to it but nothing to bad. Out of the many different fruit punch flavors I have tried I thought this was one of the better ones.

Had no issues with it mixing. Seemed to mix really well for me and no left over little pieces or settling of ingredients on bottom of my shaker bottle. The one thing I did not like was the heavy dosage of Red 40 dye. I am not a fan of dyes at all and feel there is no need to use them at all. This is something I wish they would not use in this.

I would do one scoop each time before my workout. One scoop should be all you really need. If you want to use 1.5 scoops you could if you really need the extra boost that day you could but one scoop should be enough.

I was a little unsure how well this would work for me since it was a little more limited on ingredients compared to a lot of the other pre-workouts I have been using. I figured with a little lower dosage of caffeine this would not hit me as hard and not feel it as much as I would have like but I was wrong. I feel this still gave me some pretty decent clean energy that helped keep me going more. I guess not having a large amount of caffeine is not always needed to help you. I guess with the way they formulate and dose the ingredients can really help with how a product better performs. This in no way should make you feel all jittery like unless you are maybe some one that is more stim sensitive. This did seem to last me through out my whole workout which was nice. I know at times when I am taking a pre-workout with a lot of high stims in it I would feel it really well the first half of my workout but always seems to wear off more quickly. This won't be that smack you in the face type energy you get but it will be more of a nice boost to your energy to help you keep going and still last you through out your whole workout.

I did notice some nice pumps from this. It was nothing real crazy like but enough to notice something. I thought the overall focus this gave me was really good. I felt that once I started to get locked into my workouts I could feel this really helping me to block out a lot of other distractions I might have and felt I was able to better concentrate on my workouts more. I think the overall focus part was a plus to have and really noticeable.

The strength gains I got from this were decent. I think with the way this helped me perform better was able to help me more on my lifts and be able to lift a little heavier. The gains I did get were nothing crazy like but noticeable. The one thing I would really like to see that I think would help this product a bit more effective would be adding some creatine. I think that would help the performance part a bit more and give you some better strength gains. When I was using this I was supplementing it with some creatine and I know that helped me a lot more. I think without that creatine my strength gains would have been just so so. I do understand that not everyone wants creatine in their pre-workout but I feel it better helps to have it.

The cheapest I could find this was on amazon.com and they want $26.99 for 30 servings. This comes out to .90 per servings. I think this is a really good price for this. It's getting a lot harder now to find pre-workouts that are under $30 and if you can find a decent pre-workout under $30 that is really good. Other than amazon their website is the only other place you can get this and on there they want $29.99 which is still a pretty good price.

Side Effects

Nothing I noticed.

Conclusion

Overall I was rather impressed with this product and how well it performed for me. For this being a new company and their first product released I think they did a really good job on it. I know they could always tweak a few things with this to make it even better but as of right now it is still pretty good. For being more limited on ingredients and not having a ton of them thrown in here I found it to be a rather effective product and very much worth trying. For the price they want for this and how it performs this is more than worth giving a try if your in the need of a new pre-workout. If your someone that has been using pre-workouts for a long time and prefer a lot more ingredients than what's in here I think this will still work really well for you even without a lot of extra ingredients. I am really excited to see what's next for this company and what they bring us for new products. Again I want to give a big shout out to Barbender Nutrition for making this product and letting me have the chance to give it a try.
    • Fruit Punch: 8/10

December 8, 2017

• Red Dye

Before I start I want to thank Barbender Nutrition for giving me the opportunity to review Torque Pre-workout. I've used a lot of different pre-workout supplements in the past and always on the lookout for a new one. After checking out the ingredient profile and dosages I decided to give Torque a chance. This was the first time I've heard of this company, from what I could tell this is their only product out right now. One of the things that I like about Barbender Nutrition is that they don't use claims or gimmicks.... just solid ingredients to boost exercise performance.

The ingredient profile is fully transparent and features 7 "main" ingredients and at solid dosages. First ingredient is 3g Beta-Alanine which is a non-essential amino acid (carnosine) which helps increase exercise performance. Second listed ingredient is 3g L-Arginine Alpha Ketoglutarate otherwise known as AAKG - increases N.O. production. The following 5 ingredients are commonly found in other pre-workout supplements: They include.... 3g L-Citrulline Malate, 1.25g Betaine Anhydrous, 500mg N Acetyl L-Tyrosine, 280mg Caffeine Anhydrous and 5mg BioPerine. As you can see the profile of ingredients is dosed pretty good, caffeine may be a little low for some who are high stim users but it did the trick for me.

Taste- For this review I received the Watermelon flavor which is one of two current flavors available. The flavor has a very sweet watermelon jelly rancher taste which I thought was good. Not too sour or sweet but pretty much spot on.

Mixability- Really no big issues in regards to mixability, there was no settling or clumping at any time. The only thing for me, might not be a big deal to others is the use of Red 40 Dye. It has the tendency to stain shaker cups and mine had a reddish tint after use.

Dosing- Basically I mixed one scoop with 6oz of water about 20 min before training. I recall using 1.5 scoops twice when I really needed it after a long day.

After using some high stim preworkouts before trying Torque.... to be honest I wasn't expecting much but I was wrong. Sometimes all it takes is a simple scientifically researched back formula at good dosages to help improve performance. The biggest thing I noticed was the all around clean energy that lasted all through my workout. With high stim pre-workouts you notice it wearing off toward the end of training. There were some nice pump sessions associated with Torque. I can't say my strength was increased just from Torque but it did help give me the extra energy and focus needed to finish some hard reps.

The cheapest value I could find for a 30 serving tub of Torque was on Amazon. Currently the tubs cost $26.86 or .90 cents per serving, this is a great deal. Most new products usually have a ridiculous price but this is not the case with Barbender Nutrition. At this price point I'm tempted while typing this to buy a tub to try out the other flavor (fruit punch).

Side Effects

Conclusion

In conclusion this is a winner if your looking for an effective pre-workout product at a great price. The ingredients are research backed and common so you don't have to wonder what your taking. I definitely recommend giving Torque a shot. I'm looking forward to seeing if they come out with any thing new in the near future. Thanks again to Barbender Nutrition for participating in the SR TROOP Program.
    • Watermelon: 9/10

August 28, 2017

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Increased Recovery
    • Sustained Energy
    • Some Settling If Left Too Long

Whats up all, Dr. G here for another SR review. The product today is Torque a PWO that is based around the beta alanine ingredient (which I love) and is designed to give you those intense workouts your heart desires. Overall great product. It has all the ingredients I personally respond very well to without a crash that will leave you on your knees for the next few hours.

Vitamin C (250 mg)
    Niacin (30mg)
    Vitamin B6 (.035mg)

Folate (250mcg) - Folic acid is used to generate red blood cells, help wounds heal, build muscle, and produce brain and nervous-system NT. It should always be taken in combination with vitamin B12, because taking only one of these can mask a deficiency in the other. This can also help to break down, use, and create protein in the body. I posted a review a while ago about a BCAA for women with folic acid included in it. Believe it or not I think it is a top 10 unique supplement that bodybuilders (even though I am not) should be taking. Oh and it will make your sperm stronger so for those of you trying have a little one maybe you and your partner should take this together.

Beta Alanine (3g) - used in many PWOs made today and for me a must have supplement. Beta-alanine has been shown to enhance muscular endurance and give you that little extra to perform one or two additional reps in the gym when training with high rep sets. Beta-alanine can also improve moderate- to high-intensity cardiovascular exercise performance >>> I like it especially for a cardo based workout like the one I am doing!

L-arginine (3g) - an essential amino acid that is a building block of protein that performs a bunch of physiological functions. It is a known precursor of the gas nitric oxide. Arginine is able to increase blood flow to muscles by reducing the "water" (if that is what you want to call it) under the skin, and in turn increasing vascularity. If you are looking to diminish the recovery period and minimize fatigue this supplement can help.

L-citrulline malate (3g) - turned into L-arginine in the kidneys, this supplement is actually more effective in doing L-arginine's job better than L-arginine itself. It plays the largest role in reducing fatigue and increasing cardiovascular capabilities. Some research has stated that citrulline can help increase the power output of muscles during your workout, but there is not enough evidence to totally support this claim.

Caffeine (280mg) - I shouldn't need to explain this one

BioPerine (5mg) - Derived from black pepper extract this is mainly used to increase absorption of supplements into your body. I am guessing that this is the main reason of this being in this product.

I give taste a 7/10. I was given the watermelon flavor which fared pretty well. The best thing was that it actually tasted like watermelon which is always a plus. When taking this product I used the typical blender bottle with 12 oz of water and the regular 1 scoop recommended by the product. After giving the mixture a nice few shakes it mixed well, the only down side was that if you let it sit for a couple minutes there will be some settling at the bottom. Since everyone knows the stuff that settles at the bottom is that "good stuff" you may have to shake it once or twice in the process of drinking it. As far as dosing goes, it was good. One scoop of this product was dosed at 15 grams. The size of the scoop was just as big as most PWO and you get 30 servings out of it, typical stuff here.

Effectiveness 9/10. This was a great PWO. I have been working out consistently at 7am before work with drinking a shake in the morning with zero carbs. I only let you all know this is because I am pretty much letting the PWO do its thing without having much to absorb the mixture in my stomach. During my morning workouts I had energy, the will to lift more and more, and the will to finish the entire workout without hesitation. Sometimes these products can give you the energy boost you need, but then fade off as soon as you need that extra boost to finish the training session. This product not only lasted throughout the entire workout, but also throughout the day. This may not be something people enjoy, but for me it also gave me the energy and focus at work. Since my recent workouts require 30-40 minutes of cardio plus a pretty intense training session I needed something that was going to hit me as hard as I wanted to hit the gym. Extra reps, extra weight, and extra time on the treadmill. Those three things are what this PWO gave me. I would also like to add that on days where I sacrificed a little more sleep than usually this PWO woke me right up in the morning getting me off my lazy a** and into the gym. As far as recovery goes, I noticed a good amount. I usually attribute recovery so the other supplements I take such as BCAA and protein, but I am not going to take that away from some of the ingredients in this product.

Value 9/10. I found this product on ebay.com for $25.99. This product is also available on amazon.com for the same price. For how well this product works and getting a normal 30 servings out of it I would say that is a pretty damn good deal. The overall price per serving comes out to about $.9 per serving. That is a VERY good deal for a product that worked as well as this did. The product is also available on their website barbendernutrition.com for $29.99. There is a "sale" going on the website with the price tag of $59.99 crossed out. Now if it were that much money then the value of this product would be significantly reduced for me.

Side Effects

None for me.

Conclusion

Overall this is a top 5 PWO I have taken. Similar to the Total War PWO I reviewed a few months ago, Torque gives you the energy and endurance to complete the longest and hardest workouts. For people looking to up their cardiovascular game, I would definitely put this under your sink. For those looking to increase endurance and improve muscle performance, this is also for you. All around a good product that gives you what a real PWO is meant to, the energy you need to lift, the intensity to get bigger, and the ingredients to aid in the recovery process. If you are looking for a good product that is light on the wallet and works like a charm I would go ahead and order this bad boy. *** The only reason this product is not a perfect 10 is because of the possible settling if not drank right away.

As always Live Happy, Live Healthy