6.7

Ranks #231 (better than 7%)
In: Pre-Workout > Stimulant

Train is a Pre-Workout manufactured by AthElite Nutrition. It is designed to help provide a pre-training advantage by increasing mental focus, muscle performance, endurance and blood flow. This creates an environment optimal for increasing muscle mass and losing body fat.

August 11, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Solid Pumps
  • Fully Disclosed Profile
  • Inconsistent Results
  • Poor Taste
  • Extremely Expensive
  • Possible Negative Side Effects

I noticed Train pop up several times for Troopers and, after reviewing the profile and the company's mission, decided I'd give it a run. Props to AthElite for being committed to clear product labels and safe supplementation.

Fully disclosed and somewhat effectively dosed. The amount of NALC, creatine, and Beta Alanine per scoop is light, but the caffeine is on point (for me at least - 250mg is what I prefer) as is the Theanine and Leucine. A few of the major players aren't included here i.e. Citrulline Malate and Theobromine, but there are a few unique ingredients that I'd not seen before, most notably Nitrosigine and Huperzia Serrata Extract. All in all an interesting profile that's somewhat different from competitor preworkouts.

Woof. As others have stated, the flavoring of Train is rough. It comes in one flavor - Cherry Limeade, and is naturally sweetened with Stevia, which has a fairly distinct taste. I found it to be very bitter with this lingering medicinal / artificial aftertaste (ironic no?). Not pleasant at all.

Normally I dose pre's on an empty stomach and sip on the way to the gym. I ended up experimenting with Train as I found I had better results when dosing this with food and giving it longer to set in before exercising (30-45 minutes).

Mixability is OK. There was always some grit and residue at the bottom of my bottle. Nothing excessive.

The first few doses I really wasn't feeling much at all but, as mentioned, once I started experimenting with the timing I was able to get more out of the product. When I did get it dialed in, I found Train to be fairly standard. The pumps are decent despite the fact there's no CM. The energy was solid, a little jittery (maybe I didn't respond well to the Theanine), but otherwise very comparable to other preworkouts. Nothing noticeable for me with respect to strength but my workouts center on high reps at low-medium weight, so this isn't unexpected.

Unfortunately I did have a few doses that did not sit well with me. On two separate occasions I experienced a very strong face-flush about twenty minutes post-dose, to the point where I had bright red splotches on my shoulders, necks, and cheeks that lasted about 30 minutes. It was unpleasant and caused me to really struggle through my workout. I've never had a preworkout cause me this type of side effect before and I'm honestly not sure how/what/why this was triggered.

The industry average for preworkouts, from my research, is right around $1.00. If you want to go for a product that uses only high quality, clinically dosed ingredients (Outlift for example) you can expect to pay closer to $1.75 per scoop. Train is $45 for 21 scoops that's a ridiculous $2.14 per serving. This is the most expensive preworkout I've ever taken. I've no idea why this is price so high considering the profile. Of course, it doesn't help that Train is only available on AthElite's own website.

Now, I think AthElite is a relatively new company so maybe they've not been able to get their products on main distributor sites just yet. Hopefully once they do Train will be better priced, because right now it's not even in the affordability ballpark in my book.

Side Effects

Strong face flushing and tingles. Red blotches on face and neck.

Conclusion

I had to give mediocre marks to Train given the insane price point and negative side effects that I experienced. When I was able to dial it in, I found this product to be a solid, well-rounded preworkout, but there needs to be some adjustments to the profile, the flavoring, and the price in order for Train to climb the ranks, but I'll continue to look out for more AthElite supplements as I do appreciate the goals of this company.
  • Cherry Limeade: 3/10

Advertisement:
Members don't see ads: Join SR for Free

August 4, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Natural Source Of Caffeine
  • Good Pump
  • Half Clinical Dosage Of Beta Alanine
  • Terrible Taste
  • Energy Wears Off Quickly
  • Inconsistent Results

37 years old, I lift 5 days a week. I workout at 6am so I look for a good PWO to get me motivated and to get my butt in gear to get to the gym that early. I find myself drinking a PWO around 0530am so I also look for a PWO with a taste that will not completely destroy me first thing in the morning. I saw Train being offered on the TROOPer program, and read that it was from a new company, AthElite, and thought I would give it a shot. I was just coming off a couple weeks of a non-stim PWO, so it was good timing. Thank you to AthElite for providing the product for us to test out, as well as SR for putting this all together via the TROOPer program.

First, a shout out to AthElite for a fully transparent ingredient profile. Hopefully this is the standard the company has set for all its future releases, and this what we have come to expect as consumers of supplements in this day and age. I always appreciate a company that is not afraid to share exactly whats in the product, and at my age its becoming more and more important to know what I am putting in my body, as I am no longer a young spry chicken. Each serving (1 scoop) provides you with 30 calories, 7g Carbs, and 2g Sugar. The product also has Vitamin C, B6, B12, B3 (Niacin), Calcium, Magnesium, Sodium, and Potassium. I am going to touch on the components that makes this a PWO.

Leucine (fermented) (3g) - This is one of the 3 BCAAs and aids in Muscle Building. It is the most studied of the BCAAs and also has a bitter, sour taste to it. The fermentation portion of it aids in mixing. Recommended daily dose is 2-5g, so 3g is a decent amount here, and this is probably whats causing the bitter taste for me (which we will cover in the next section).

Micronized Creatine Monohydrate (3g) - This is said to be the cheapest and most effective form of Creatine. Typically you would go through a loading process here. Dosage on Creatine depends on your bodyweight, and for someone like me, who weighs around 240 pounds, I would require 8g of Creatine daily. This is a nice inclusion, and a good compliment to you if you are taking another Creatine source, but likely not enough as a stand alone. Since you need to load on Creatine Mono, and you would not take a PWO on rest days, all the more reason to utilize a stand alone Creating with this.

Beta Alanine (1.6g) - We all know of the "tingles" associated with this. Beta-Alanine is there to increase muscular endurance, with a daily goal of 2-5g. From everything I have read and studied on Beta Alanine 3.2g daily is the sweet spot. I was taking a stand alone Beta Alanine with this, so this was a great compliment on my workout days. As a stand alone, to really be effective this needs to be increased.

Nitrosigine (1.5g) - This is for those pumps, and to get that blood flowing in the body. Tests at 1.5g a day, show there is an increase in energy levels, increased muscle pump immediately following a workout, and decreased biomarkers of muscle damage immediately after a workout and during recovery. You can view the test here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4595023/ Another nice ingredient here, and I definitely noticed a pump in this product at this dose.

N-Acetyl L- Carnitine (500mg) - Also know as ALCAR, this is used for cognitive enhancement (you know, improving the memory functions of the brain). 630-2500mg of ALCAR is recommended daily dose, so this needs to increased to really have an effect. I noticed no real effects from this current dose.

Green Coffee Bean Extract (254mg) - This is standardized to 98.5% caffeine, resulting in about 250mg of Caffeine. The main energy source here, and is a Botanical source of Caffeine instead of a synthetic one. This ingredient is also popular in weight loss products, but not enough evidence supports this works. Everyone will react differently to different forms of Caffeine, personally I react well to Caffeine Anhydrous, and really not much when it comes to natural or botanical sources of Caffeine. This will likely work for you if you only need low stims, or do not ingest a daily cup of coffee or other source of caffeine. I like to see around the 300mg mark of Caffeine, but that is just me.

Theanine (250mg) - A nootropic known as a relaxing agent without sedation and slightly improves attention. This is brings down anxiety levels, allowing you to concentrate in a more relaxed state. Typically 100-200mg is a daily dose, here we get 250mg, but to me, this really does not need to be in here. This synergises well with Caffeine, to promote attention, but I really did not notice and its possible this may have mellowed me out during my lifts, we will talk more about that in effectiveness.

Black Pepper Fruit Extract (10mg) - This is your absorption agent, but typically 20mg is used according to examine.com. I wanted to say this should be increased, but other PWO such as Pre-Jym that have had more effectiveness for me only have 5mg of Black Pepper Extract, so this dose is probably fine.

Huperzia Serrata Aerial Parts Extract (5mg) - This is standardized out giving you 50mcg of Huperzine A. Another nootropic here to aid in your cognitive abilities. Typical range is 50-200mcg daily, so here we have the minimal dose, and I find its effective at this dose. I have taken PWO with 50mcg and 200mcg, and I find them to be just as effective at either dosage, at least for me. I have become a big fan of Huperzine A so am always to see it included.

Train also includes Stevia, you may like it or hate it, I personally do not have much experience with it and absolutely hate it. To me, this profile is a more "Natural" ish type of profile if you are choosing to go that route with your supplements. All in all not a bad profile. Train is also certified from Informed Sports, so if your a competitor you can take this with no worries. Train is also Nutravigilance certified, meaning that this product is safe if taken as directed with no adverse effects. I do not know much about Nutravigilance personally, but thought it was worth the mention.

Taste: Cherry Limeade is the only flavor currently available, and I thought it was horrid. Likely it was the taste of Stevia and Leucine that gave it the bitter taste for me. It was not undrinkable by any means, but I just downed it in two gulps then suffered for about 10 seconds on the aftertaste. Normally I like to sip my PWO in the course of 10-15 minutes as it helps me to wake up first thing in the morning, but not here.

Mixability: No issues here, mixed well in a standard shaker with a ball or vent on top. I had no residue on the bottom after, so mixability was good.

Dosing: one scoop with 8-10oz of water 15-20min before training is what the directions state. I would take this 30 minutes prior, with about 10oz of water. I never tried any other dosing means, as the label clearly states to not exceed one dose in a 24 hour period. I recommend people should always follow the directions, otherwise you will probably get some adverse effects and at that point its your fault, not the products.

So the first three times I took Train, it worked well for me. Got me motivated and into the gym, and I got through an average of 60 minute workouts each day with energy left over. I do not know what happened after that, but the effectiveness wore off quickly for me. From the fourth dose on the energy level dropped rapidly on me, usually 20 minutes into my workout. Now, I did not experience a crash or anything, I just did not have any extra energy outside of what felt to be normal energy without a PWO. Every time I did take it, it did give me enough energy to get moving and to the gym in the morning, it just did not maintain for me. With my weight (240 pounds) and my normal route of one cup of coffee daily, I likely require more caffeine in a PWO. At this point it became random, one day I would have a great experience on Train and other days I would feel almost nothing. It was odd, but that was my experience, it just was not consistent enough for me to even recommend this. Now lets break it down by the product claims.

Energy derived from naturally sourced caffeine: Yes this is true, but low energy level in my opinion.

Heightened focus and motivation: Enough to get me to the gym, not enough to maintain me throughout my workout. The energy, focus, and motivation were all so random and inconsistent, I never knew what I was going to get each dose. So this claim is not far off, but not 100% either.

Muscular Strength and endurance: I did not notice a difference either way here. This product did not hurt me in any way or hurt my strength, but it did not enhance it either. I think there needs to be more beta-alanine included here to really promote endurance. When I coupled with another Beta-Alanine source I did experience an increase in endurance and took less rest periods, but I experienced none of that when taking Train as a stand alone.

Flow of oxygen-rich blood to working muscles: This is where the product shined for me. I actually had some pretty nice pumps with Train. I recently had taken a Pump agent (Big Noise) and this came close to providing the same pump for me, which was nice to have.

Bottom line here is the effects were random for me, but may work if you respond well to low stims. This is also a more natural option if you are looking to cut back on your stims, and the nitrosigine provided me with some good pumps. Understand everyone will react differently to different things, but this was my experience.

Each tub gives you 21 servings, and can be purchased either through Amazon (which is a platform and still sold by the company) or Athelite Nutrition's website itself for $45.00. This comes out to be $2.14 per serving which is a bit pricey in my opinion. For a good PWO the price point ranges from 1 - 2 dollars, but not exceeding 2 dollars a dose. Likely this is because the company is new, but since this gave me inconsistent results, this is not a good value for me.

Side Effects

I did experience some minor GI issues taking this, but not every time. Typically once i get a high dose of caffeine I have GI issues so I attribute that to my genetics and not much else. Nothing crazy like a GI explosion, but a bathroom break was needed most days when taking this prior to working out.

Conclusion

Overall Train is a standard PWO that did not do a lot for me from what I have come to expect in a Stim PWO. The price point is a bit expensive at this time, and if the effects I felt on this were inconsistent and really wore off quickly. The pump in this was nice, but without that this product did not do much else for me that a regular cup of coffee could have done. Nice natural type ingredient profile, and maybe this can work for those that like the taste of Stevia and require low stims. Just was not enough for me to recommend it. Special thanks to Athelite for the shaker cup and handwritten note (was a nice touch), I appreciate the opportunity to try this new product out. I think you guys are on to something here, but some tweaking is in order for it to be effective in my eyes.
  • Cherry Limeade: 3/10

Advertisement:
Members don't see ads: Join SR for Free

August 3, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Slight Increase In Endurance
  • Natural Source Of Caffeine
  • Stevia
  • Half Clinical Dosage Of Beta Alanine

One of the great benefits to being a Trooper is the opportunity to try out newer products. Awhile back, I was looking through the bodybuilding.com Train Magazine and saw an ad for AthElite Train and it caught my eye. The profile looked intriguing to me with it being sweetened with stevia and including l-theanine along with caffeine. So, when I had a chance to give it a try I claimed it and here is the review.

AthElite Train comes in a relatively small can with 21 servings. Each serving is about 18 grams and they recommend one scoop per day. I will note that one-scoop servings does have 30 calories and 7 carbohydrates and it appears to be from dextrose. The first is ingredient is 220 mg of vitamin C, which is an antioxidant and can aid the immune system and in recovery. The next ingredient is niacin at 35 mg. The main benefit of niacin is vascularity and a potential increase in HGH production. It then includes vitamin B6 at a 15 mg dosage, which can help with homocysteine levels, improve mood, and blood pressure. The last vitamin ingredient is vitamin b-12 at 100 mcg in the cyancobalamin form, which can aid in energy production, help the digestive system, and can boost mood. Following that is has several minerals such as calcium, magnesium, sodium, and potassium I presume to aid in hydration.

Following the vitamin ingredients, you have several of the main ingredients you find in your traditional pre workout. The first is 3g of fermented l-leucine. L-leucine is one of the branch chain amino acids that can aid in muscle recovery. In essence, it works by competing with the uptake of tryptophan in the brain when working out. This can lead to a reduction in fatigue, which in turn can help your performance in the gym. Following this, you have 3g of micronized creatine monohydrate. This is a good dosage and it is at the dosage I use when I take creatine. The main benefit to creatine is a rise in creatine levels, which in turn can aid in energy production within the body. Following this, you have 1.6g of carnosyn beta alanine. I was surprised by this dosage, as it is half the clinical dosage. I looked at AthElite website and it appears they are coming out with other products (intra and post) so I am presuming the other 1.6g might be in those. This is not surprising since both Kaged Muscle and Jym do this as well. Beta alanine can blunt fatigue and work as an acid buffer. The next ingredient is nitrosigine at the clinical 1.5 g dosage. This ingredient can aid in NO production and has cumulative effects overtime. Following this, you have 500 mg of n-acety-l-carnitine, which can aid with recovery and energy production. The one thing I will mention is that the clinical dosage is 600-2500 mg, which you are only getting 500 mg here. Next, you have green coffee bean extract yielding 250 mg of caffeine. This form of caffeine is from a natural source as opposed to synthetic. Personally, I prefer natural sources of caffeine, as I feel better on them and crash less. This is followed by 250 mg of l-theanine, which can aid in focus and concentration as well as smoothing out the feel caffeine. Then there is 10 mg of black pepper fruit extract, which is supposed to help with absorption of the ingredients. Lastly, there is 5 mg of huperzia serrata aerial parts extract yielding 50 mcg of huperzine a. Huperzine A can aid in focus while you are working out. Overall, I like the ingredient profile but I would have liked to see a full dosage of beta alanine and another pump agent.

AthElite Train currently only comes in one flavor and that is cherry limeade and I found it to be quite good. It tasted almost identical to Pre JYM cherry limeade but had those stevia undertones. Definitely be aware that you can tell that this is sweetened with stevia. Personally, this is not a problem with me as it is something I look for at times. As far as mixability goes, it mixed fairly well but there was some grit on the bottom. I am presuming it is from the micronized creatine monohydrate. I would just give it a quick mix every time I took a sip. Just to note I would always mix it in a blender bottle with 20 ounces of water and ice. As far as dosing goes, I just did one scoop a day before either my weight training or cardio. I did not feel the need to split the dosage with this product as I did with other pre workouts I have tried.

For the effectiveness, I decided to discuss four areas that AthElite Nutrition claim that Train can improve. They are intense energy, heightened focus, improved muscular endurance, and pump. When I took this, I really liked how it made me feel, I was not overly energized and it was smooth. I would feel it about 20-30 minutes are taking it and would last for about two hours and I would drop slowly. I never felt a crash off this and I still had some energy that I believe benefited me when I would go to the park after the gym. In this regard, I think it out performed other pre workouts such as Dymatize PWO and Pre Jym. Both of those I felt had a harsh caffeine feel and I would crash if taking full dosage acutely. I also noticed that I had a lot more focus over when I would just train with coffee. I would be more focused on my workout and less about everything going on outside the gym (or park). The focus felt similar to other pre workouts I have taken.

I recently added in more supersets and higher reps to my workouts so endurance has been an issue. I felt that this pre workout aided with endurance but it was not as pronounced as other preworkouts. I would really feel the burn sometimes when I was running with this product and I think that had to do with half the clinical dosage of beta alanine. It still definitely helped but not as much as other preworkouts or bulk beta alanine has in the past. The pump with this product was average. It was definitely a step above coffee but it was more of a flat pump if that makes any sense. I was definitely pumped but not to the level as I have been in the past using some other pre workouts. In recent memory, pre kaged gave me the best pump. This was still definitely good but not as good as others were in the past. Overall, this was an effective pre workout but I do wish it had more beta alanine and perhaps an additional pump agent.

In terms of value, it currently retails for $45.00 from AthElite Nutrition website making it $2.14 per serving. However, when ordering direct you can get 20% off and free shipping bringing it to $36.00 per bottle at $1.71 per serving. At this price, it is much more competitive and has decent value. Comparing this to other pre workouts, Pre Kaged goes for $1.80 per serving and Pre Jym is $1.78 per serving. There are a few differences between these, most notably JYM and Kaged use creatine HCL while Train uses creatine monohydrate. Both Kaged and Jym use citrulline or citrulline malate as their pump agent while Train uses nitrosigine. The big thing is to look at the profiles and see the ingredients you would rather have in your pre workout. Personally, I would probably interchange between Pre-Kaged and Train, as I prefer natural caffeine sources.

Side Effects

I had no side effects while taking this product.

Conclusion

I enjoyed my time with AthElite Train and will be trying it again along with the other supplements AthElite Nutrition releases. I do wish that it had a full clinical dosage of beta alanine and maybe another pump agent. However, this product was effective for increased energy, focus, endurance, and pumps. It may not be the best out there but it definitely was above average. In my eyes, the value is there but I really think that with this product it is very subjective. I do recommend giving it a try. I would like to thank AthElite Nutrition for sending the product and the Trooper Program for coordinating it.

-Xcmiler
  • Cherry Limeade: 8/10