DNO Preworkout has been reported as discontinued.

Check out the top-ranked products in Pre-Workout > Stimulant Free

DNO Preworkout Reviews

By: Astromic Nutrition

Overall
Overall
Thanks to Astromic Nutrition for sending it out!
  October 10, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
  • No Prop Blends
  • Good Pumps
  • Fast Acting
  • Mind WonderingNot Focused

Hey guys this is my review for Astromic Nutritions stim-free pre workout, DNO. I received this as part of the TROOPS program, but will still be an unbiased review.

One of the main things I liked about this profile, is everything is appropriately dosed, and in fully disclosed amounts. It's nice to know exactly what is going in to your body. Most of the ingredients are basics, which other reviewers have done a great job of outlining, however I would like to highlight a few.
Pikatropin, which I am not sold on, is a nootropic. The hope is that this will give you cognitive focus and mental stimulation.
Glycerol, in the form of the trademark Hydromax, is supposed to help keep you maintain your water levels, or stay hydrated, and bring water into the muscles, causing a wet pump.
Betaine, starting to show up in more supplements these days, is supposed to aid in muscle protein synthesis and improve athletic performance.

I took this right before the drive to the gym(about a 15 minute drive)and off to lift I went. I had the tropi-colada flavor, and it was pretty good. Not the best I ever had, but definitely a nice change of pace from the hum drum regular flavors you get from most pre workouts. There was definitely some chalkiness in the texture, but it mixed well.

My only gripe, was as another reviewer mentioned, the scooper is inaccurate, up to +/- 3 grams, every single scoop I used. I tried doing level, heaping, in the middle, slightly below, but not once was my scoop ever the exact 16.8g dose. I think it is because the powder is so fine, some times it gets packed down tighter and thus weighs more, or you try to scoop lightly and it stays fine and your scoop is light.

This is were this product lost some points for me. Don't get me wrong, I did have some great workouts while on this, and I believe the stimulant free category has a purpose, but this one was just hit or miss from me. I believe it depends on the mind set you are in going in to the workout, on how effective this product was. Let me explain.

The energy was just okay. I work a physical job 45-50 hours a week, and the days I came home tired, this just wouldn't do it for me. I'd get to the gym, and be very relaxed, or calm. It's hard to describe, but it wasn't a mindset that made me want to rip weight off the floor. I'd drag towards the end of my workout, and crash hard after I got home.
Days that I was off from work, or just mentally ready, I had great workouts, and was a bit more mentally prepared, and had better endurance. This is why I'm not sold on the pikatropin, I think it really depends on your mindset going in to the dose on what your going to get out of it. Where caffeine just amps you the hell up. I think though as another reviewer also mentioned, pikatropin could be used as an effective study aid.

Where this product shines for me is the pump. I got some pretty gnarly lower back, and chest pumps while on this which I attribute to the glycerol And perhaps the nitrates coming from the beet extract. Either way, the pumps are nice. I did have agmatine thrown in to the mix most workouts, but I believe the pump produced exceeded what I usually get from agmatine alone.

I believe the only place you can pick this up is the Astromic nutrition website, clocking in at $43 bucks and change. It's a bit hefty, especially considering it's a 20 dose tub. Granted, it is a true one scooper, but I still think the 35$ price mark, or at least under $40 would make this product more appealing.

Side Effects

No negative side effects were noticed for me.

Conclusion

Overall, I think this is a decent product. It has a nice profile, and a CEO who really cares about his product. This is the product that I would recommend to someone if they said they wanted to cycle off stims, but still wanted to have a pre workout supplement. Other than a few other reasons I can think of where stimulant free may be useful, this would not be my first choice due to price, and spotty effectiveness for me.

Thank you AstromicJosh for participating in the TROOPS program, and for letting me have the opportunity to try and review this product.

• AstromicJosh
    Rep for this Brand
    October 12, 2015

Thank you for your review and kind comments.

I discussed the scoop issue with my team when it first arose, who did try a step down on scoop CC which was inaccurate, so the current scoop size is correct at 17cc. A very gentle scoop comes out to 16.8g (17g for ease). Tip, swoop, shake a bit of excess and it's generally accurate.

Otherwise fineness will definitely cause packing thus inaccuracy (scoop weight is also right around 3g). We will continue working on this though!

DNO can also be purchased here for $37: https://squareup.com/market/smoothie-ds