DNO Preworkout has been reported as discontinued.

Check out the top-ranked products in Pre-Workout > Stimulant Free

DNO Preworkout Reviews

By: Astromic Nutrition

DNO Preworkout is a Stimulant Free Pre-Workout manufactured by Astromic Nutrition. It can increase muscle performance, endurance and blood flow without the use of stiimulants. It promotes an environment optimal for increasing muscle mass and losing body fat.

DNO Preworkout has been reported as discontinued.

Check out the top-ranked products in Pre-Workout > Stimulant Free

November 1, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
  • No Prop Blends
  • Ideal Nutrient Uptake
  • No Crash
  • Effective Yet Stim Free
  • Fast Acting
  • Good Pumps
  • Fully Dosed

I got a container of this courtesy of Astromic Nutrition and its very personable CEO. Needless to say we've had some very cool back and forth. It was a pleasure giving this bad boy a go, especially when dealing with a relatively new brand.

Let me tack on an immediate point for the transparent label.

First thing I look for on any pre-workout label is the creatine (after the caffeine). There has yet to be a better proven form than good ol fashion
creatine monohydrate, with a proper 3g pre-workout dose. The creatine is paired in its HydrATP Shuttle blend along with the instant classic HydroMax Glycerol.

The meat of this label is the D.N.O. Matrix with a topped off dose of Carnosyn beta alanine, 3g of citrulline malate, fully dosed betaine anhydrous, ornithine AKG and beet root. Delivering the focus aspect of D.N.O. is the Pikatropin pikamilon, which has been caught in legal crossfire lately. What brings all of these ingredients into your system for maximum absorption is the Nano Uptake blend, with AstraGin and Bioperine.

I love any citrus and/or tropical flavors that are done right. Tropicolada has a good blend of tropical flavors. I get little blended hints of orange, pineapple and mango... pretty good but just short of great.

Can't lie, the mixability is an issue. The mix has some considerable foaming and powder settling. But it should be an acceptable trade-off when you're dealing with full doses of some great ingredient blends. It's encouraged that you not hold it against this one.

The scoop doses appear to be thick, but rest assured that these doses are not as heavy as they seem to be. All substance.

Straight to the point, the effectiveness is ideal. The creatine effectiveness isn't news at all. EVERY SINGLE time I took a scoop, I got the fiercest beta alanine tingles. I'm no stranger to them at this point, but that's what a full 3.2g of beta alanine should be doing.

D.N.O. is built with such pride that instructions say to take it 10 minutes prior to the workout because the absorption is that good. The way I'm made, I have issues with uptake anyway. So with my personal experience, I don't know about the 10 minute mark. However 20 minutes was a sure bet for me. My absorption and uptake issues are why I always love to see things like Bioperine and Astragin in anything I take.

The main performance ingredients do not go missing during the workout. Creatine, Hydromax and Betaine complement each other with strength and water pump... while the beta alanine, citrulline and ornithine do their thing well in synergy for muscular endurance.

The only hit and miss comes from the focus department. However, I don't feel that's the fault of the product. As of writing this review, my son is 5 months old... so I imagine the fathers out there understand that I won't be 100% acute every single morning. So I can't hold that against D.N.O. When I was decently rested and went about my morning routine fairly well, the focus was right.

This being a sure bet as a single scoop product to fit in a month of workouts, I could see this being a ~$35 product based on quality. The $45 price tag is a lot for a month's supply. This is a direct price tag though and that pretty much never means it would distribute to retailers for the same price. Hopefully this product can hit distribution and see a price tag more favorable to consumers.

Side Effects

Some typical clearing of the GI tract (you get me?) that comes with creatine or glycerol.

Conclusion

I feel compelled to call attention to the Ornithine AKG dosed at 1.5g, which is impressive. I don't think I have seen anything carry such a huge dose that wasn't a standalone bulk product. Ornithine gets forgotten when it comes to nitrogen retention and muscular endurance. Great to see it included.

One ingredient that I find myself questioning is the 3g of Citrulline Malate. Not that it's a bad thing to go with ~3g, because some pre-workouts do that as a deliberate half dose. This allows for the remaining 2-3g to come post-workout or other parts of the day... same school of thought with the 3g of creatine pre-workout. This leads me to question if this is meant as a true full dose... or is there a pairing with a post-workout or other item in this brand's future?

D.N.O. is a heavily dosed product and it performs as such. It's a fresh breath seeing something not fall short on the label, much less having it make sure you don't fall short.

Thanks for your time. As usual, questions, comments and critique are encouraged.
  • Tropacoloda: 7/10

October 13, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
  • No Prop Blends
  • Focus
  • Slightly Expensive

Let's face it, most non-stimulant pwo's are like that hot chick that you keep buying drinks in the hopes that she'll deliver. Because right, wrong or indifferent, adding 400mg of caffeine to a pwo get's the job done. So most non-stim formulas focus on things like nootropics and focus and alertness and tend to include creatine and beta alanine and clever marketing that helps you forget that at the end of the night you jsut dropped $50 and you're going home alone, lol.

This is a big plus area for me. Highlights include Hydromax glycerol, Astrigin, pikatropin, betaine and ornithine OKG. In addition the beta alanine is properly dosed at 3.2. With ingredients like this you'd think it was actually trying to you know, be a pwo, lol. I will also say that the beta tingles were rather gnarly with this, a pleasant surprise as I've grown pretty use to beta alanine and rather enjoyed the tingles again. All in all, top marks across the board for choice of ingredients and dosages.

And I always point out the inclusion of Astrigin, one of the most useful and best additions to any formula; it's not cheap so when you see it on a label, I know that the company isn't out to cut corners.

Everything is fully disclosed and no prop blends - top notch!

I had the tropicicolade and it's like a pineapple/coconut flavor that I actually loved. Very unique and nice break from the old fruit punch or berry flavors that are more prevalent. Mixing was a bit uneven, with noticeable grit. I actually started to just put this in my intra shaker and shake it and then chug the grit along with the pwo.

ok, so let's get down to brass tacks. I work out at 0530 and at my advanced (and decrepit) age, I need something strong. Normally, most non-stim pwo products simply can't deliver the "kiss that kills" so they get relegated to the afternoon pick-me up shelf. Hello, Amino Energy, lol. I think that it's safe to say that this is the first non-stim pwo that actually delivered as a pwo at 0530. Now I'm not saying this was the deep-throat version of all pwo's but this baby got the job done. I found that it delivers above average alertness and focus, great beta tingles, decent endurance and pump. So yes, I was a bit surprised. Furthermore, I tried it in the afternoon and found it to be a bit too strong in that role. So this is a serious pwo option my friends. It supported my training goals and didn't have any jitters or crash.

This is one area where there can be a bit of work - maybe. You've got to consider the high quality ingredients, so my initial thoughts that boy, it would be great if this came in at $30 may be a bit off. Like Moose, I use Tier1 as my go to pwo. But if Citadel were to add Astrigin to the formula, that would raise the price, for sure. It's a tough call, but I'm going to go with paying more for quality is still a great value. As others have said, most pwo product deliver 30 servings but I understand the 20 serving tub since that's one month for me. So at $43 per month vs $30 per month, I'm not going to sweat the added $13.00. At the end of the day value is about delivering performance and this delivered at a cost that I can live with. After all, what good is a $20 pwo that sucks?

Side Effects

Does wanting to claw my face off from the beta tingles count? I don't even watch the Walking Dead.

Conclusion

Solid. That's all I can say. Even if you are a stim junkie I recommend you give this a try just to change things up. Now granted, if all that matters is crack like jitters, then this will greatly disappoint. But if you're someone looking for a pwo to help you get in the zone, then this is a new and worthy change of pace.

October 10, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
  • No Prop Blends
  • Good Pumps
  • Fast Acting
  • Mind WonderingNot Focused

Hey guys this is my review for Astromic Nutritions stim-free pre workout, DNO. I received this as part of the TROOPS program, but will still be an unbiased review.

One of the main things I liked about this profile, is everything is appropriately dosed, and in fully disclosed amounts. It's nice to know exactly what is going in to your body. Most of the ingredients are basics, which other reviewers have done a great job of outlining, however I would like to highlight a few.
Pikatropin, which I am not sold on, is a nootropic. The hope is that this will give you cognitive focus and mental stimulation.
Glycerol, in the form of the trademark Hydromax, is supposed to help keep you maintain your water levels, or stay hydrated, and bring water into the muscles, causing a wet pump.
Betaine, starting to show up in more supplements these days, is supposed to aid in muscle protein synthesis and improve athletic performance.

I took this right before the drive to the gym(about a 15 minute drive)and off to lift I went. I had the tropi-colada flavor, and it was pretty good. Not the best I ever had, but definitely a nice change of pace from the hum drum regular flavors you get from most pre workouts. There was definitely some chalkiness in the texture, but it mixed well.

My only gripe, was as another reviewer mentioned, the scooper is inaccurate, up to +/- 3 grams, every single scoop I used. I tried doing level, heaping, in the middle, slightly below, but not once was my scoop ever the exact 16.8g dose. I think it is because the powder is so fine, some times it gets packed down tighter and thus weighs more, or you try to scoop lightly and it stays fine and your scoop is light.

This is were this product lost some points for me. Don't get me wrong, I did have some great workouts while on this, and I believe the stimulant free category has a purpose, but this one was just hit or miss from me. I believe it depends on the mind set you are in going in to the workout, on how effective this product was. Let me explain.

The energy was just okay. I work a physical job 45-50 hours a week, and the days I came home tired, this just wouldn't do it for me. I'd get to the gym, and be very relaxed, or calm. It's hard to describe, but it wasn't a mindset that made me want to rip weight off the floor. I'd drag towards the end of my workout, and crash hard after I got home.
Days that I was off from work, or just mentally ready, I had great workouts, and was a bit more mentally prepared, and had better endurance. This is why I'm not sold on the pikatropin, I think it really depends on your mindset going in to the dose on what your going to get out of it. Where caffeine just amps you the hell up. I think though as another reviewer also mentioned, pikatropin could be used as an effective study aid.

Where this product shines for me is the pump. I got some pretty gnarly lower back, and chest pumps while on this which I attribute to the glycerol And perhaps the nitrates coming from the beet extract. Either way, the pumps are nice. I did have agmatine thrown in to the mix most workouts, but I believe the pump produced exceeded what I usually get from agmatine alone.

I believe the only place you can pick this up is the Astromic nutrition website, clocking in at $43 bucks and change. It's a bit hefty, especially considering it's a 20 dose tub. Granted, it is a true one scooper, but I still think the 35$ price mark, or at least under $40 would make this product more appealing.

Side Effects

No negative side effects were noticed for me.

Conclusion

Overall, I think this is a decent product. It has a nice profile, and a CEO who really cares about his product. This is the product that I would recommend to someone if they said they wanted to cycle off stims, but still wanted to have a pre workout supplement. Other than a few other reasons I can think of where stimulant free may be useful, this would not be my first choice due to price, and spotty effectiveness for me.

Thank you AstromicJosh for participating in the TROOPS program, and for letting me have the opportunity to try and review this product.

September 21, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
  • No Prop Blends
  • Solid Research Backed Ingredients
  • Focus
  • Reduced Fatigue
  • Good Pumps
  • Fast Acting
  • Slightly Expensive
Well just like I said in the title , this got better and better as I went with this. Add in the fact that AtomicJosh has posted some really great info about the effects that all the daily stimulate intake that can have on your system, has helped show me how important it is to chill out with all those stimulate Pre workouts from time to time.

First let me say that I have been on Stim loaded Preworkouts for longer than I can remember, but I do not take them daily , At most 4 days a week and that is even broken up. While I started this I quit caffeine intake , except for my morning cup of coffee. First week I did feel sluggish but after a month of this. I actually can wake up pretty fast and I do sleep better. I really feel I owe this to all the info that AtomicJosh has posted and informed us on.
On to the review.

Profile
Seriously this is a outstanding profile. Everything that we have pointed out that is quality ingredients for a great Preworkout are in this.
AstraGin, Bioperine, Pikatrophen, Beet root, Beta alanine. Others have pointed out what some of these do and what makes them great. Please check the other reviews and Rep those that was helpful.
I like this profile and it works.

Taste 9
Seriously this is really a unique flavor. Tropacoloda, was great. The smell was nice too. I am not a huge fan of coconut but this was a good blend of flavor. Well done.

Value 8

Around 45 bucks for a True one serving Preworkout with these kind of ingredients I think is not a bad deal. Hopefully other places will pick this up and that will drop the price . This does seem to be higher than others I have used , but when I get into the effectiveness you will see why I feel it maybe worth it.

Effectiveness 8.5
( Keep in mind I was fading out my stim intake during this as well , and only using this Monday, Wednesday and Friday and Saturday. )
First week. All I got was a slight euphoric feeling, a slight calming effect but very focused. But damn dose it hit fast!! It did seem to fade rather quickly. Did not look too good for me at this point.
Next week. I would take same time, Right before I drove to gym ( takes less than 5 mins ) . Man at the first red light I noticed I was zoned that hell out. Almost to the point I wanted to pull over. Very euphoric feeling. Very very calm, but at the same ready to kill the weights.
Third week. It was not hitting as hard as the previous times, but by the time I got to the gym I was sick from stimulates or ready to poo my brains out like some have been known to do. Just nice and ready to get it. I was able to really get zoned in on my lifts with some music and just get into a nice place in my mind and go , way easier than normally.
From then on.
From then on It continued to be a very effective preworkout. I did play with the dosing a touch though. I think me being a bigger guy I did need a touch more. I tried 1 and 1/2 scoops but the tingles from the beta alanine was a bit more than I liked , so I did 1 and 1/4 from then on and that seemed to be the sweet spot for me.

Also I need to say I this is a great preworkout for pumps and endurance this is something I noticed from first dose to last!!

Overall 8.5
Overall this is the way a STIM free should perform. I have tried others and they did not even come close to being what this one was.
I do think some of the info Atomicjosh posted here on SR has helped me learn more about the effects of stimulate overload too. So a big ++ for him as well.
Well done here guys. This is a great product and I do feel much better after taking a small stim break.
  • Tropacoloda: 8/10

September 8, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Solid Research Backed Ingredients
  • Focus
  • Effective Yet Stim Free
  • Slightly Expensive
  • Difficult To Scoop (At The Bottom)
  • Lethargic Feeling
  • Needs More Flavors
One of if not the best non-stim pre-workout I have taken. Big shout out to AstromicJosh for not only sending this out but also taking an active participation in this site, its nice to see a rep out on the front lines for his product. Anyway, DNO was a great product and I love the fact that all the ingredients are sourced in the U.S. and not china. For this pre workout to work you have to give up caffeine (no easy feat) but if you give it a chance and put on some good tunes your workouts will not suffer and you will get some great endurance.

Effectiveness: 7

This product worked no doubt about it. I was able to have very good workouts with decent focus (not caffeine focus but good). The ingredients for this are where it shines. With regards to most of the label, you get the scientific recommended dose without any unnecessary fillers. With the Pikatropin, I was definitely more focused and I could see this shining as a study aid as well as a workout aid. I mixed in a little bit of arginine akg and the pumps were incredible. In fact, a couple time the pump was almost painful and the vascularity was crazy. I normally don't respond that well to citrulline malate, but this was the exception. For being a non-stim this did give me good energy but not crazy. In the future maybe add in a little more focus ingredients or non-stim energy products may help this. Strength also remained steady on this and I didn't have any drop offs.

Taste: 5

Starting out the taste was great, then it dropped off and I started to hate the taste. It helps if you mix it with a full water bottle or 16oz of water, but any less and the taste suffers. I'm looking forward to any other flavors that are on the horizon.

Value: 5 at current price if lowered to a Tier 1 range 8

I look at this as a non-stim version of my favorite pre workout Tier 1. Tier 1's price normally always stays around $30 for 30 true servings. DNO is $44 for 20, which is a fairly steep price. However the ingredients are expensive and I understand that you want to turn a profit, but in the end the consumer will probably want 10 more servings for that price or a decent price reduction. Not a deal killer though.

Overall: 7.5

Like I said before if you need a good non-stim you cannot go wrong with this. From label transparency to fully dosed ingredients this has most of what you will want. With the minor problem of the price and maybe more flavors, you are looking at a winner in the non-stim category. I'm sure Josh will take into account all of these reviews and make some changes, which imo is the best ways companies succeed in today's marketplace. In conclusion, I will use this again in the future and I'm looking forward to more products from Astromic Nutrition.

Overall
Overall
3.5
1.4
1.3
  August 30, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
  • No Prop Blends
  • Slightly Expensive
  • No Pumps

(Background info on yourself, diet, experience, goals, first thoughts on the product and how you discovered SR)
I would like to thank astromic nutrition and SR Troops for letting me try D.N.O. and no-stim pre-workout aid. This is a independent review of a full 20 servings of D.N.O. I would also like to thank astromic nutrition for there support of the SR Troops program. This is my first time taking a non-stim pre-workout. The flavor I received was tropicolada which is pretty tasty.

(Your thoughts on the ingredients/label of the product)
The ingredient profile is pretty simple which is really nice it's broken down into 3 different category's. D.N.O matrix which includes your carnosyn beta alanine at 3.2 which is supposed to be the only beta-alanine licensed under NAI's global patent estate for use as a human dietary supplement. Also there is L-Citrulline DL-Malate 2:1 Powder at 3g which is a little low because you can take up to 6g a day. Then there is the hydrATP shuttle which has creatine monohydrate at 3g you can take up to 5g a day so a little under there also there is the HydroMax Powder at 1g which is under dosed because you can take up to 2g. The last thing you have is nano uptake which is astragin 50mg, and black pepper extract at 5mg.

The flavor I got was tropicolada which was really good. The dosing was to take 1 scoop 10mins before training on a empty stomach.

Yea D.N.O. did not work for me I felt like taking a nap while doing side lateral raises. I even tired taking 2 scoops 10mins before training and the results were the same. So if you are looking to do rich piana 8hr arm workout you will not last 30mins. While taking this product it was very hard to get motivated which never happens. Other then getting tingles from the beta alanine I was just going though the movement of each exercise while try to achieve something so my trip to the gym was not a total waste of time. There were a few days after I would get done training and feel extremely tired followed by a nap. I did notice a little bit of a pump during the first few times I was taking it. Since it was really hard for me to get motivate so I would do super-sets a lighter weight or drop sets which really help.

it's 45.30 on at astromic nutrition website. Which is 2.26 a serving not super cheap when you only get 20

Side Effects

Conclusion

This product just didn't do it for me while taking my lifts were very minimum. Think of working at a job that you really don't like but your just going through the motions now image it's a non-stim pre workout. That's how I felt on D.N.O. it's a job I really don't like but it pays the bills while I'm just moving along without seeing any results.

4.7
  August 28, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
  • No Prop Blends
  • Focus
  • Fast Acting
  • No Crash
  • Good Endurance
  • Slightly Expensive
  • GI Issues
  • No Energy
I wanted to thank the SR Troops and Astronomic Nutrition for the opportunity to log this product. I am known to be a stimulant junkie so I am used to cracked out energy type, therefore I wanted to try this out to see if it would suit my needs without having the crack like shakes.

"D.N.O isn't your run of the mill preworkout powder, it was meticulously created by scientific research to give you the most potent preworkout solution possible to enhance every single workout while gaining strength and enhancing your physique"

I really hate to write this review but I want to be honest as possible. There are some PWO that just hit you like a train and you feel you can do anything in the gym. This was not the case for me. I will go into detail at how exactly it affected me.

=========================================
Ingredients- 10/10: The ingredient profile is pretty straight forward. You know exactly how much of each ingredient you are getting. The container has only 20 servings so you don't get a full months supply, which kind of sucks, IF this product worked for me.

=========================================

Dosage: 10/10 - Pretty easy. Mix one scoop with some water, I used less water to increase the taste about 10-20 minutes before your workout. Sometimes I would even just dump the scoop in my mouth and wash it down with water, hoping it would kick in faster.

=========================================

Taste: 8/10 - The taste was enjoyable. I did not hate it, but at the same time it was probably not the best tasting pwo Ive had. Although I used less water when taking this product, I could taste it a lot more. I guess if I used more water it might be better, but I just wanted 1. to have it kick in faster and 2. Not really sip on it, but down it with one shot. I guess to each their own.

=========================================

Effectiveness: 6/10 - I guess I am not sure what I was expecting with this product. The only other Non Stimulant based product I tried was Noxygen, so I kind of didnt have much info about this product. I am going to break it down in categories so its easier to understand how exactly it worked for me.

Energy - 1/10 - What? Stimulant Free ? so where does the energy come from. Who knows. I felt absolutely ZERO energy on this product. There was no motivation to workout, there was no drive, there was nothing gearing me to have a good workout. The problem is I usually do not get much sleep at night and coffee tends to keep me awake during the day, so it didnt help that this PWO did not give me the EXTRA UMPF to get going in the gym.

Pump: 1/10 - What Pump ? Non existent whatsoever. I know what pump products feel like, and this gave me zero pump and zero energy. So why did I give this a 6 ? Please see below. I am currently on a 20-30 rep scheme doing about 400+ reps per body group in circuit type of routine. I thought with the rep range I would feel a nice pump, but unfortunately I did not.

Mental Focus: 100/10 - WOW. This was a mind blowing focus that I have never really felt before. Well no thats a lie, Ive felt focus like that before when I was taking adderal for my exams. I mean once it kicked in, it drowned out everything around me, as if I was in a quite meditative state. It was quite nice. Sometimes I tend to stray from my workout routine to talk to my friends or check my phone or hit up some girls. But not on this product. I was straight forward minded towards my workouts. It was quite something actually.

Endurance: 8/10 - Once I mustered up my own energy to get the workout going, I did notice a bit of an increase in endurance in the aspect that I was not getting as winded as when I did not take a PWO. This was nice. Also when I did cardio it helped me train a bit longer than I am usually used to. It goes nice with the mental focus.

=========================================

Side Effects: 8/10 - Wow holy bowl movements. After I would take this, about 15 minutes after, every time I would have to run to the bathroom to drop a duece. But it wasnt a solid like duece it was watery. Extremely annoying. I dont know if I am sensitive to some ingredients but honestly I was pretty happy when the tub ended.

=========================================

Value: 4.7/10 - $45 for 20 servings ? Really ? Come on now, even if this product works wonders for you, thats an exuberant price to pay for a PWO. In this day and age there are SO MANY PWO's that I cannot see why anyone would drop almost $50 with shipping and tax on this product.

=========================================

Overall: 6/10 - Look if you're main purpose of this is solid focus and endurance, then maybe give this a shot. If you have no GI issues and you can throw another PWO into this for the caffeine or the energy, then maybe you'll have one heck of a workout. However, this is not something I would avidly recommend to others.

August 26, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
  • No Prop Blends
  • No Crash
  • Effective Yet Stim Free
  • Fast Acting
  • Good Pumps
  • Muscle Mind Connection
  • Slightly Expensive

Thank you to Astromic Nutrition & SR TROOP for allowing me to give this non-stim preworkout a shot. It's been quite a while since I've used anything other than stimulant based preworkouts, but I figured it would be a good time to cycle off for a bit and give DNO a shot. To put it simply, this product delivered on all cylinders for me.

(8.5)
Attached a picture of the ingredient profile.

A pretty simple profile, but really enjoyed the pairing of Pikatropin with AstraGin, in addition to the CM and Beet Root. Also no prop blends! Nothing to hide.

(8.0)
It was a little chalky, but still tasted very good. The TropiColado had hints of both pineapple and coconut, and not too overwhelming. I enjoyed taking this before every workout. No issues mixing either.

(8.7)
Even with the lack of stimulants, this product provided me with enough energy to power through my workouts. The Pikatropin/AstraGin combo I believe also impacted my focus -- during most workouts, I would tend to just be completely tuned in and focused on that specific exercise...making me more aware of what I should be doing during each exercise in regard to muscles I'm engaging -- muscle mind connection at it's finest. Additionally, the pumps were very solid even tho I don't specifically train for hypertrophy. During upper body days is when the pump was the most noticeable -- I was starting to see veins in my arms, shoulders, and chest that I haven't seen since I weighed 180 (I weigh around 205 now). My endurance and hydration were also noticeable -- seemed to cramp less and spent less times between accessory exercises and sets. Overall, I was extremely pleased with how this product delivered, basically in every aspect.

(7.8)
Considering Astromic Nutrition is a new company, this product is only available through their website from what I've seen, and it's around $45 for a 20 serving container. Although it's pretty expensive among competitors in the preworkout world, I could honestly justify purchasing this based on the results I experienced, and the fact that I haven't had a non stim preworkout that I've enjoyed as much as this one. I feel as the company grows and expands, the price point will drop once it's available at other retailers.

Side Effects

None, no GI issues or anything.

Conclusion

Again, thank you to Astromic Nutrition and SR TROOP for allowing me to give this a shot. After reading the initial reviews, I was extremely intrigued to give this a shot, and I was not left disappointed. Although it's pretty expensive at this point, it's without a doubt the best non stim preworkout I've ever tried, and even trumps a lot of stimulant based preworkouts that I've been through. Overall, I highly recommend this product. Whether it's for someone to cycle off stims or someone looking for a lower stimulant alternative. Great job with this one and I'm looking forward to seeing what products you put out in the future!

Overall
Overall
3.0
  August 18, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
  • No Prop Blends
  • Mind WonderingNot Focused
  • Legs Dead With CardioLeg Day
  • Under Dosed Creatine

I want to thank Josh and his team at Astromic Nutrition for being part of the TROOP program. This was my first troop product. I was SUPER PUMPED to try this stuff. Everything I read on the ingredients, the reviews, and Josh's enthusiasm for this product made me extremely excited when I opened up the box.

I will talk a little about what stood out for me.

Citrulline , Creatine, and Glycerol all seemed under-dosed to me. I know some of it is being addressed from other posts on the site - but until it is changed it is what it is. Beta-Alanine, while not "under-dosed" seemed not existent. Typically I can really feel BA kick in at or around this does - outside of a small kick on the first day and another time when I double dosed it did have the typical BA effect on me...

The Pikatropin was a new one for me - I think. If this was in there to improve cognitive focus there wasn't enough or it doesn't work for me like it did for the other people/lab rats that have taken it before! More on that later...

This was excellent. It was a little chalky no matter how I diluted it, but most all supps have some sort of mixability deal - this one was minor. I liked the flavor a lot. In fact, taste/mixability/dosing were the best part of this supplement. Good job to the AN team on that one!!

This is where the whole thing falls apart. I got nothing out of the 20 days I used this. In fact, I think I regressed some. For the most part I was lethargic and not focused when I hit the gym. I know this is a stim free product but i was hoping for the "gene splicing" goodness promised on the label. The worst part of this run was on leg days and cardio days - I had NOTHING in the bank. My legs would die out instantly. Here were my notes from the log I kept on the DNO: "Took as recommended prior to SGT. Felt a flush and body temp increase during first 15 minutes of work out. It did not seem to kick over the entire hour. In fact, I was noticeably winded after second set of quarter mile sprints. Ab work out was terrific so maybe this isn't for that cardio push." (I put too much detail in my notes, I know...) About ten days in I decided to double dose it and see if the response changed and there wasn't much more effect than a little bit more the beta-alanine tingles. I moved it back to single dose and the workouts stayed the same.

Even if this product was ok it would be a tough sell for me - it is ~$45 for ~20 servings. At $2+ per serving this would be an expensive add to most anyone's stack, especially considering some of the components are under-dosed and the user would need to supplement the supplement

Side Effects----
I was lethargic and not focused while using this product. Outside of that everything else was hunky doory...

Conclusion

If I was to go for a stim free PWO I don't think I would go the DNO unless it was reworked. Even at that - I would consider trying something else due to the cost of this product.

6.4
  August 4, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Focus
  • Good Pumps
  • One Serving Was Enough

INTRODUCTION

I have to thank Astronomic Nutrition for letting me try their DNO Preworkout through the Expert Reviewer program. I have used several preworkouts throughout the years and have a few basic go-tos. Never before have I used an entire tub of a stim-free preworkout (have tried a few samples here and there) and none of them have stood out to me. I was very skeptical of the effectiveness of a stim-free preworkout, because I am a daily caffeine consumer and rely heavily on caffeine as part of my pre-lifting regime.
I didn't change my other supplements (ie. proteins, creatine, fish oils, BCAAs intra-workout), and really loved how DNO fit into my existing lifting and nutrition regimen.

Other reviewers have listed the profile in its entirety, which can be found on the company's website here:

I'll point out what I really liked:
The entire profile is disclosed.
The beginning of the profile is a large amount of C and B vitamins (because why not make sure you've got enough of those daily?) which should also help fuel me through my workouts.

The "D.N.O. Matrix" includes a few ingredients:
3.2 grams of Carnosyn! I include beta alanine (as Carnosyn) as part of my preworkout drink and like at least 1.6 grams, so twice what I usually take in would be great to help get the endurance up of my workouts and decrease fatigue.
The citrulline here is much too low for me so I tended to add a few more grams for workouts that I knew were going to be longer than 45-50 minutes of lifting. This was really the biggest complaint I have from this product's profile.
I was excited to see Betaine listed here too. I tend to respond with better endurance to products containing betaine. I've read about it's supposed "muscle synthesis enhancing" properties, but really I cannot conclude that this ingredient is that superior at increasing my mass. Nonetheless I would like to take it in all of my preworkouts, because I have found a trend of better endurance from taking it preworkout.
Ornithine and beet root are in here and I am quite ambivalent about them, but this has to be the "pump" part of the profile I am guessing.

Next on the profile is the "HydrATP Shuttle" which is just creatine and glycerol.
I take creatine daily, so this was just added creatine to my daily total. I haven't tried glycerol before, so this was another new facet of preworkout supplementation. I've heard great things from people about glycerol, enhancing pumps and hydration, but haven't tried it ever previous to this DNO preworkout, so perhaps part of my positive responsive from this supplement was due to this ingredient.

The next part of the profile is the uptake ingredients (Astragin and bioprene in this case). I'm noticing more and more of these ingredients in preworkouts and other supplements I've been trying. I certainly hope they work and don't see any harm in adding them in. It can only enhance the product's other ingredients!

The last thing listed in the profile is the pikotropin, which is another newer ingredient to me. I am interested in nootropics, which I would consider this to be. My concern with this in a preworkout is that it is my understanding that it may have a "tranquil" effect on its user. The way I looked at it is it could do one of two drastic things for me: help me focus on lifting and forget about other junk in my life, OR relax me and not allow me to get pumped up mentally for heavy lifting. I've read enough negative reviews mentioning this ingredient that it was a concern (although I will mention that I luckily found that it had a positive effect on me!)

The flavor is called "tropicolada" and has a pineapple/ coconut (very pina colada) taste to it. I loved it and I tend to like tropical flavored things so this doesn't surprise me at all; if you don't like coconut or the like you most likely won't care for this. It was slightly sweet(like artificial sweetener sweet), but not too strong and didn't leave too much of a chemical or weird aftertaste for me.
Mixability was just OK for this. I usually added it to my shaker between work and heading to the gym. I found myself shaking up the blender bottle before every swig. Even toward the end of drinking there was still some grit. I am OK with this, as long as I can find some way to drink it down in the 8-10 ounces I used.

What I really liked about the dosing was that it fit in perfectly with something I wanted to try for pre-lifting nutrition. I would eat a small snack, usually about an hour to 1.5 hours before I would start lifting (mostly protein and carb and sometimes a little fat, like an ounce of almonds). Then about a half hour before lifting I could slam a coffee/2% milk/ half scoop whey protein shake. I could get my caffeine and whey in together, which was a goal of mine. And then while driving to the gym, about 15 mins before lifting I would have my D.N.O.
It was a goofy pretraining ritual, but I got some solid food in me, had some amazing lifting sessions, and get all pumped up for lifting WITHOUT HUNDREDS OF MGS OF CAFFEINE.
Because this was stim-free I could try things with pre-training supplementation/food that I'd never been able to do.

By far, this was the category where this preworkout shined. Every time I took this, even having eaten shortly before, I'd feel the beta alanine and get an overall "warm" feeling. Without caffeine/stimulants in my preworkout, I was able to get focused and ready to lift.
I really think that the high amount of Carnosyn got me pumped up (at just one scoop), then the vitamins and betaine sustained me through my workout. I'd have an overall "warm" and focus (there's the pikalamin) for the entire duration of my lifting. The pump ingredients delivered mild to moderate pumps, depending on the type of workout, but some lifting sessions were really quite phenomenal, especially chest and other upper body sessions.
I didn't want to try increasing this over one scoop, because I felt very warm during workouts, almost like I took a thermogenic, and because I found that one scoop did the trick. I really like when you can take a supplement and not have to find the amount that works for you, but rather get "20 servings" at one serving a day and have the guess work done for you.
I never felt any crash or any issues with sleep from this and really liked the stim-free factor for evening training sessions.

Right now a 20 serving tub is $45.30, meaning it's $2.26 a serving, without any shipping/tax. I will admit that this ended up being a phenomenal product for me, but even at that this price is a bit steep.
I like to see the price point of preworkouts closer to a dollar. I also like bigger serving containers, because I lift almost every day. I find it a huge pain to have to order supplements every 2.5 weeks, when I can make a bulk purchase every few months.

Side Effects

No ill effects were seen from this product for me.

Conclusion

My personal experience with D.N.O. Preworkout with excellent! I think that the profile has a lot of really great things going for it, without heavy stimulants and the company did a good job of choosing amounts that work well for just one serving. Although it is on a pricier side, if you know you respond well to se of these ingredients, you should consider giving this a try.
It surpassed all of my expectations for a stim-free preworkout!