Ranks #59 (better than 48%)
In: Protein > Whey Protein

VP2 is a Whey Protein Powder manufactured by AST. It is a dairy based protein that supports lean muscle gain by suppling additional protein to recovering muscles, which can also improve fat loss.

Protein > Whey Protein

9.2
  April 20, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Phenomenal Recovery
  • Taste Great
  • No Side Effects
  • Wide Variety Of Flavors
  • Increased Strength
  • Digests Easily
  • Only Available In One Size
  • Foamy Consistency

I had been using the same protein for a while and wanted to mix things up a bit and try something new. I was looking to gain mass as well as strength, heavy lifting 5-6 days a week and wanted to make sure I was getting something that would ensure speedy recovery between workouts. A friend of mine recommended AST VP2 to me, saying that he experienced positive results while taking it so I decided to give it a shot.

AST VP2 has a protein blend of Hydrolyzed and Non-Hydrolyzed Whey Protein Isolate. Some people feel like they get less bloated while taking Hydrolyzed protein - I personally don't notice a huge difference between hydrolyzed and non-hydrolyzed, but I wouldn't say I felt bloated while taking VP2. It also contains milk specific growth factors beta-lactoglobulin, alpha-lactalbumin, immunoglobulin, proteose-peptone, and glycomacropeptides (GMP). VP2 also has Aminogen digestive enzymes that help increase the breakdown and absorption of the supplied protein. In addition to these ingredients, the product does include artificial sweeteners for taste. All in all, a pretty solid lineup of well-designed ingredients.

The taste was excellent. I got the Cookies n' Cream flavor and had no complaints with it. They do offer a pretty wide variety of 7 flavors but I can't speak on any of the others yet. I think I'll give the Double Rich Chocolate a go next.
A full scoop mixes decent with about 6 oz. of water and 8 oz. of milk depending on which you prefer. Less than those amounts won't necessarily result in clumping, but if you'e using a blender bottle you'll run into issues with the shake foaming up. Sometimes I had to let the shake sit for a few minutes until the foaming subsided but other than that foaming. Even after that the consistency was a little foamy but I didn't mind because I thoroughly enjoyed the taste.
The recommended serving size of 1 scoop is 28g total and contains 23g of protein. I just stuck to that dose for the duration of my time supplementing AST VP2, taking one full scoop with either water or milk immediately following my workouts.

Personally, I noticed great results while taking the VP2. The tub lasted me about 6-7 weeks and over the course of that time I was able to tack on nearly 5 lbs of lean mass. I didn't make any serious changes to my diet and had been at a plateau for a month or two prior to taking the VP2, so I'd have to credit the product and say that it helped me get where I wanted to be. For most of that 6 week period I was also taking Mesomorph pre-workout. If you don't know of it, its a great pump and the intensity and quality of my lifts were improving I believe due to it. And despite the rise in intensity of my workouts, I wasn't getting all that sore day-today as I was expecting. From what I could tell, the VP2 was great for muscle recovery and allowed me to keep training hard with heavy weight 5-6 days a week. By the end of the 6 weeks my numbers had gone up so overall I'd say I was real happy with the effectiveness of it.

The price seems to vary from place to place, but I purchased my tub online for just over $30. I am seeing now though that you can get it for around $25 from other sites. If we call the retail price $30 at 32 servings that comes out to $0.93 per serving. Not the best but not the worst deal out there you can find. You can usually save more when you buy a larger tub but unfortunately the VP2 only comes in the 2lb quantity. Also something to note, if you buy it in store you can expect to pay more.

Side Effects

I didn't experience any noticeable side effects with VP2. Unlike some proteins I've tried I wasn't gasy or left with bad breath after drinking it so I'd say there's really not much (if anything at all) to expect from this as far as side effects go.

Conclusion

Other than the fact that the consistency was a tad foamy and they only sell in one quantity, I really have no complaints on VP2. I enjoyed the flavor and noticed awesome results at a fairly decent price so I'd have to say that I was very impressed with the product overall. I would absolutely recommend it and certainly see myself purchasing again in the near future. If I do go with another flavor I'll be sure to update y'all on the taste.
  • Cookies n' Cream: 10/10

• Phenomenal Recovery
  • Taste Great
  • Lean Profile
  • Only Available In One Size
This is the only hydrolyzed whey protein I've used to date, but of any protein I've ever used it has given me the best results. When I was using it I wasn't doing a whole lot of lifting but a ton of running to lose weight. I like to believe this was one of the reasons I was able to drop 30 pounds in 2 months, because I felt like it helped me in my recovery after runs and feel energized. A lot of days I was able to do two runs a day and felt great. I did use it a couple of times before runs and lifts, and I felt like it helped me with me energy as well. As for taste I had fruit punch and thought it was solid. My only gripe is this stuff is pricey albeit not terrible, and it only comes it 2 pound containers.

My final opinion is I'd definitely recommend it. I haven't purchased another container, because keep trying other brands but I have yet to find something comparable. Makes me think there might be more to this particular product and hydrolyzed whey.

Advertisement: