3Z Reviews

By: AI Sports Nutrition

Growth Enhancers > Nighttime Sleep Formulas
3Z is a Nighttime Sleep Formula manufactured by AI Sports Nutrition. It is designed to be used before bed time. It promotes restful sleep, increases REM sleep and helps the body attain an optimal state for muscle recovery and growth.

March 8, 2013

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Promotes Relaxation
  • Improved Sleep Quality
  • Smells Odd
  • You Don't Get Effective Doses Of Key Ingredients
This is a product that I actually purchased and didn't pilfer through the ER program. This product was in my log a few months ago when I started it out, and I used it along side the "Swole Stack" from AI Sport Nutrition. AI has been one of my favorite companies over the years, and I looked forward to giving this a shot.

Dosage: 3 pills about 30/45 minutes before bed just like ZMA.

Profile(7/10): I give AI an "A" for effort with this profile, but it seems to come up a little bit short. You start off with a formula strikingly similar to ZMA, sans the Vitamin B-6 with 400mg of Magnesium and 30mg of Zinc, both relatively effective doses for both. Then comes a prop blend of 1383mg which is highlighted by Valerian Root, Magnolia Bark, L-Theanine, and GABA...all great and effective sleep aids. The problem with me is, if you look up the effective doses of all 4 of these products alone you get a total of about 1300-1400mg. So since there is a few other herbs thrown in this prop blend, and Theanine and GABA are near the bottom of the list, I'm convinced you don't get an effective does of all these ingredients. It's a good idea in principle though, just not up to snuff though.

Dosing/Taste(7/10): Easy to swallow and dose pills. There is a pungent odor that seeps from the bottle when you open it and it reeks from the pills. Almost has a rotting flesh kind of smell to it.

Effectiveness(8/10): This product does do a good job of putting you out. I always got a deep restful sleep when I took this product, and I didn't wake up several times through the night like I would with other sleep aids. I would feel a little groggy and sluggish in the mornings when I would wake up, which I have found to be a common thing with sleep aids. I also did get a little bit of the trippy dreams while on this, which I consider to be a plus.

Value(5/10): This is the downfall of this product. $25 for 30 servings comes to about 83 cents a serving. That's almost twice as much as a comparable ZMA product (about 45 cents a serving) and the difference in results and effectiveness are negligible at best.

Overall, this is a fairly decent product that does it's job. But with non effective doses of vital ingredients and a price tag that is nearly twice of what an equally effective product would be, I just don't see the justification for buying this and I can't give it the thumbs up.

Overall
Overall
3.0
  September 3, 2012

Pros:
 Cons:
  • The Pill Color Is A Nice Blue And The Bottle Is Shiny So My Kid Can Play With It
  • Smells Odd
  • Just Buy Some Valerian And Youll Get The Same Effect
This is my first review and I will be doing it on AI Sports Nutrition's 3Z. In case anyone didn't get the reference, that's ZZZ... three z's, like you're sleeping. Well, at least they can be cute with the name and clever with the presentation because that's about all this product has going for it.

A little background about myself. I was a Firefighter/Medic for 5 years before I enlisted in the US Army as a Combat Medic. So sleep is not exactly always the easiest thing to come by. Add into that any stimulants you're taking due to pre-workout, PTSD, nightmares, and it makes for a great time trying to fall asleep/staying asleep.

I wish I could say this did something for me because I really was excited about it. I have been taking Unisom (doxylamine succinate not diphendyramine) and melatonin pretty regularly to help me fall asleep and they seemed to be working. I was looking for something to counter-act the grogginess I would feel in the morning so I decided to try this. I honestly noticed no change. Even on days where I hit the gym at 0530 and was off stims by 1230 HRS I would take it and I didn't notice any more restful sleep. If I did notice anything it was a little bit more lucidity and recollection of my dreams. I'd been playing a lot of Diablo 3 lately and I specifically remember acquiring 3 legendary items in my dream which got me really excited to wake up, and then I woke up. So really...even the lucidity was kind of ***.

One other thing I noticed about the pills was that they smell. In conjunction with that, they get caught in your throat unless you take them with a full glass of water. Well, if you take pills with a glass of water an hour before bed you're generally gone have to wake up in the middle of the night to *** anyway so honestly...these things really just ***ed me off (no pun intended) more than anything.

Last but not least, I tried doubling the dose from 3 pills to 6 pills and also saw no noticeable difference.

Overall...there are better products out there. Somatomax is still the best in my book if it wasn't for how expensive it was.

August 24, 2012

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Promotes Relaxation
  • Improved Sleep Quality
  • Feel Refreshed Next Day
  • Just Buy Some Valerian And Youll Get The Same Effect
Hey everyone, me again. Figured is go ahead and review this, since I did just finish a bottle last night. Let me start off by saying I do enjoy this product. It's effective, and does help induce sleep. But there's a couple of things I'd Like to point out. For about three dollars, you can pick up valerian root at any grocery store, which is the main ingredient used to induce sleep in this product. Add in some melatonin for about , the same price, and you easily have a months supply of sleep aids. Also, try not.to dose higher than there caps of the 3z, valerian is finnicky, and ive found that dozing too high will give you restlessness and produce a very undesirable time laying down for bed. For 20 bucks you can grab a bottle of this, and it is worth it, but keep in mind that there's cheaper routes to go. Just wanted to share this short review with you guys,

April 7, 2012

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Promotes Relaxation
  • Improved Sleep Quality
  • Feel Refreshed Next Day
  • Slightly High-priced
  • Smells Odd
I volunteered as the Expert Reviewer for AI Sports Nutrition's nighttime recovery product, 3Z. I had previously used a few samples of it here and there, and decided that given the opportunity, I'd like to give it a full 1 month run, and I'm glad I did.

--Taste/Texture: NA/10--
It's a capsule, so taste and texture really aren't applicable here. However, one thing that always made me curious was the smell that this product has. It was quite potent and not really pleasant whenever I'd open up the container, but it really wasn't a big deal. I'm guessing it has to do with the Zinc and Magnesium content, as it was very reminiscent of opening a bottle of ZMA.

--Ingredient Profile: 9.4/10--
I like the ingredient profile as a whole and it's pretty apparent to me why they chose to include the things they did. It appears they based it around addressing the classic ZMA oriented nutrient deficiency, including your full daily value of Magnesium and 200% of your daily value for Zinc, based off the theory of Victor Conte. While this is nice, at the same time, there isn't any conclusive evidence that ZMA alone can produce the proposed effects.

AI Sports Nutrition addressed this by the inclusion of a comprehensive blend of beneficial ingredients. This includes Valerian Root for relaxation, Passion Flower for an analgesic effect, Magnolia bark for decreasing sleep disturbances, Bacopa Monieri to reduce anxiety, and of course Bioperine to act synergistically and aid in 3Z's absorption.

--Effectiveness: 9.5/10--
I dosed this for 30 days straight, taken 45-60 minutes before bed. Now, I'm a guy that has a lot going on during the day, and when it comes night time, I'm usually not ready to hit the hay when it's the ideal time, and then of course, I'm upset about it the next day when I could have gotten more sleep. With that being said, this is where I really wanted to test 3Z's effectiveness, and I must say I was pleasantly surprised.

Even on the first night of dosing, I did in fact notice a nice calming effect about 40 minutes after taking the 3 capsule serving, about an hour and a half after my last meal. This was a welcomed effect as I'd rather have that calming, more natural tiredness rather than the feeling of sleep hitting me like a ton of bricks I get when utilizing Ketotifen or Benadryl. Similar to the other pre-bed 'supplements' though, I did experience somewhat of a 'sleep hangover' in the morning hours upon waking up from a nice, deep sleep.

As for the promises of helping promote non-interrupted sleep, I've never really had an issue in this department so I can't comment much on that. However, I did feel that it markedly improved the quality of REM sleep during the night, and after the aforementioned 'sleep hangover' wore off, I felt pretty refreshed and well-rested.

Finally, the areas of recovery and hormone optimization. I really wasn't expecting much in these areas at my age, and to be honest, I didn't notice much throughout the run of the product in this area. However, I did notice a slight increase in recovery which is always a welcome addition.

--Value: 8.7/10--
I obviously didn't pay for this product since I'm reviewing it as part of our Expert Reviewer program, so I'm basing this solely off of the average retail price of $25. While the product is a very effective one in my opinion for the purpose of optimizing sleep, I am marking this as the only area that I feel presents a slight drawback. I had a pleasant experience with it, but at the same time, it's slightly more expensive than some of the other sleep aids on the market today. The price is by no means outrageous or unjustified, so lowering the price a little bit would certainly bump this product up in to the 9.0 and above category for value.

--Overall: 9.2/10 --
Overall, I was very pleased to have volunteered to run 3Z as my nighttime recovery supplement. I feel that with notable improvements on relaxation and sleep quality and a very well rounded ingredient profile, AI Sports Nutrition has brought a solid product to the market to deliver where their previous night time formula HGHpro disappointed. Well done, AI Sports.

-AP

February 5, 2012

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Vivid Dreams
  • Only Worked With Melatonin
  • Not Worth The Full Price
AI Sports 3Z - An interesting product with variable results.

I finally got around to finishing this product last night. I didn't take this supplement every night like some others, but instead used it on nights that I knew I would need it the most. This made the bottle last about 2.5 months.

Ingredients : It contains what I guess is a weird attempt at making a ZMA-like product, but I could be mistaken. It has Magnesium Chelate, Copper Chelate, and Zinc Citrate. Then it contains a prop blend containing some of the usuals that are in sleeping pills such as GABA, Valerian root, Passion Flower, Magnolia Bark and some others. But I can already tell that since the prop blend is only 1383mg, that most, if not all, of these ingredients are underdosed.

Taste/Pill Size :: 10/10 - The pills are normal sized, blue in color, and have no taste. And after consuming the pills, you do not burp up any after-taste whatsoever.

Value : 6/10 - I gave this a 6, simply because I caught a deal on AI sports website where they threw it in for free, but seeing that 90 pills (30 servings) costs around $23 online, it's not too overpriced...

Effectivenes : 6/10 - Perhaps I didn't take this sleep aide properly. But considering that it isn't the type of supplement that needs to be taken daily so that the effects 'build up over time', I don't think I made any mistakes by taking it only on certain days, usually workout days. At first the product didn't do anything for me. I didn't feel it kick in, I didn't sleep any 'deeper', I still woke up a couple times throughout the night. I continued to take it every other day for about a week, and then I gave up on it.
About a week after that, my work scehdule changed to where I had to hit the gym afterwork. Thats when I decided to try this supplement again, but I also purchased some melatonin which I had ran out of for a few months. Thats when this product starting somewhat working. I took melatonin every night, but when I took it in conjunction with 3Z, I noticed sleeping 'deeper', getting some interesting livid dreams, and not waking up througout the night. This didn't happen everytime, but the majority of the times I took it. I was very tempted to increase the dosage and try 5 pills, but I didn't want to risk waking up really groggy, because that really puts a dent in my morning when getting ready for work.
It still didn't allow me to fall asleep any faster, but when I did fall asleep, in conjunction with melatonin, the quality of the sleep increased.

Overall : 6/10 - I give this product a 6, which is actually somewhat higher than what I would usually give a product that gave me variable results. I think if AI Sports threw in 3mg of melatonin into this supplement, it would definately be a better product.
I also think that the prop blend should actually be labeled out to how much of each ingredient is actually in there. Especially since I like to take GABA powder on its own before bed, I was hesitant to do so on nights that I took 3Z since I simply didn't know how much GABA was in the prop blend. So would I reccomend this? Maybe... If there is a good deal on it out there somewhere, then give it a shot, but if you are thinking about purchasing this for full price, then I would think twice about it.

January 7, 2012

• Better Quality Of Sleep
  • Horrible Smell
I used this product to aid in the quality of sleep during my Epi/Mlmg cycle as Epi has been known to hinder sleep. This stuff works flat out, or it did for at least.

Results- During my cycle I actually waited for the first few nights of sleeplessness to acurately gauge the effects of this product. The first night that I took it, I didn't feel anything right away as far as drowsiness (which I expected). So I expected to be writing a bad review, but I went to bed and to my surprise I felt awesome. I only slept for 6 hours and it felt more like 8-9 hours! So basically it doesn't make you sleep - it makes what sleep you get a more quality sleep. So for me this helped in the energy and recovery dept which is awesome. But man, the dreams were def vivid and memorable. You know how we dream but forget them by the time we wake, not with this stuff. I remembered every one of them, and some were crazy lol.

Taste- They are pills so theres no taste, but the smell is bad.

The ingredients are a proprietary blend* (top to bottom, which really means most to least amount of each ingredient)-

Valerian Root
Magnolia Bark
Passion Flower
L-Theanine
GABA
Bacopa Monniera P.E.

A side note- I know 3Z works because I compared it to taking Valerian Root by itself. Rating them both, i'd say 3z @ 10 and Valerian @ 7.5

The dosage for both- 3z is 3 caps at 1383mg's (so we could assume about 500mg of that is Valerian root) and Valerian Root is 3 caps at 500mg's.
The 3z I would assume was more effective because of the GABA added, BUT, 3z is more expensive $19.95 (90caps) - Valerian Root $9.99 (90caps)..

In Sum, I'd say if ya have the extra $10 the 3z is the way to go. In retrospect I wouldn't mind paying the extra knowing I'd get that extra effectivness.

December 6, 2011

• Fall Asleep Faster
    First off I have always had trouble sleeping,and the older I get the worse it gets.I do alot of my working out at night because its pretty much the only time I have to myself.When I workout at night sometimes you workout and get so tensed up with your adrenaline flowing and whatnot that it becomes hard to get to sleep.I have a prescription to ambien but over the years I have built a tolerance to it and it basically is useless to me anymore.I LOVE this stuff personally.It reminds me of how I slept when I was a kid.Whether I am tired or not my eyes get heavy and I am able to fall asleep.As far as keeping you asleep I dont feel like it has extremely long lasting effects,it just helps to get you to sleep.Now if you do like I did and stack this with an hgh or other dopamine type product to help you stay asleep then you are in for the best most recovering sleep you will get.I urge anyone to try this stuff,it is amazing.Even if you aren't living the fitness life it is great.I have been telling all my friends about it and I have finally been able to get sleep at night again.It works better than my ambien.I haven't even taken any ambien since I got a few bottles of this.Another thing is it doesnt leave you all groggy like ambien does either and I dont seem to be building a tolerance to it after 2 bottles.Im on my third one now.The only downside is its kinda pricey,but if you buy it like I did 3-4 at a time on sale and get free shipping it is totally worth it.To me this is one of the best sleep supplements I have ever came cross in all of the things I have taken in my long journey of trying to get a good nights sleep.If you haven't tried it yet you don't know what your missing.I just drift peacefully off to sleep even if I have been doing deadlifts all night and I am having to lay on a heating pad to be able to move my back.This will never leave my shelf whether I am working out or not.Out of all the supplements and other things Ive used over the years this is my favorite and most useful one in my opinion so far.You can't put a price on a good nights sleep.

December 2, 2011

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Increased Libido
    • Vivid Dreams
    • 5 Hours Of Sleep Felt Like 8
      What up SR? This review will be on Anabolic Innovations 3Z. I always liked AI as I had great success with Maniac and RecoverPro so I decided to try 3Z. In the past I have taken a few ZMA products, the GNC ZMA and ON's ZMA. There isn't much to tell about these products, they used to say how ZMA used to raise test, then HGH levels; it really didn't do anything for me but make me have crazy dreams and sleep a little bit better. With that brief history out of the way let's start this review.

Content - 8/10

So 3Z is pretty packed in the content area. Normally with your run of the mill ZMA product you will only find Zinc(Chelate), Magnesium(Chetlate), and Copper(Citrate). 3Z has those three then a 1383mg prop blend consisting of Valeria, GABA, Passion Flower and a few other things. Im not going through every ingredient but here is a link to the supp facts if you want to check it out: http://www.aisportsnutrition.com/mstore/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/600x600/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/3/z/3z-supp-facts.jpg

Taste – NA/10

These are caps so no taste. They are not odd sized, or anthing, just the typical cap.

Effectiveness – 8/10

I though this product was very effective. Normally with typical ZMA products the sleep is alright, funky dreams but it never is constant. I seem to wake up intermittently in the night. With 3Z it was sound sleep. The crazy dreams were there.....like some real crazy dreams suitable for the LOCKER ROOM. 3Z didn't make me fall asleep any faster, but its like the sheer quality of the sleep I did get was much better. I don't think this raised my test levels, although I did see an increase in my sex drive. Now I don't see how this product would help build muscle....but as nothing more than a recovery product its gold. I woke up feeling great, and had energy.

Value – 7/10

Well its about 25 bucks for a 90 cap bottle. A serving is 3 caps; following that logic one can come to the conclusion that a serving costs about .83 cents. I didn't think that was too much to pay for this product.

Overall – 8/10

Overall this is a great product. No you won't build any muscle, but you sure as heck will feel a lot better and well rested the next day. If your pushing yourself in the gym nothing beats a good night's rest....and that's exactly what this product delivers; a good night's rest.

October 4, 2011

• Little Hangover
      Here is a review on Anabolic Innovations "3Z". This product cannot really be evaluated by gains in the gym or really any physical changes, but rather based on the percieved effects and the evaluation of ingredients.

Ingredients:
      Magnesium (Magnesium Chelate) 400mg 100%
      Copper (Copper Chelate) 0.15mg 8%
      Zinc (Zinc Citrate) 30mg 200%
      Proprietary 3Z's Blend

Valerian (Valeriana officinalis) (Root) (10:1 Powdered extract) Magnolia Bark, Passion Flower (Passiflora Incranata) (4:1 Powdered extract). L-Theanine, Gamma-Aminobutyric Acid (GABA), Bacopa Monniera P.E. 20% Baccosides

This product is basically an enhanced ZMA, I think it is a little light on the copepr chelate, but contains sufficent dosings of Zinc and Magnesium. I HATE HATE HATE when the rest of the ingredients are listed in a "Proprietary Blend" because it makes it difficult to determine whether a product contains the "scientifically effective" dosages I would now like to touch on a few of the ingredients in the blend.

Valencia:Valerian is used for insomnia and other disorders as an alternative to benzodiazepine drugs, and as a sedative for nervous tension, hysteria, excitability, and stress, sleeping disorders, restlessness and anxiety, and as a muscle relaxant. Some studies have demonstrated that valerian extracts interact with the GABA receptors. Effective doses are 2-10 grams in the raw form.

Magnolia Bark: The aromatic bark contains magnolol and honokiol, two polyphenolic compounds that may have demonstrated anti-anxiety and anti-angiogenic properties.

Passion Flower: The fresh or dried leaves of maypop are used to make a tea that is used to treat insomnia, hysteria, and epilepsy, and is also valued for its analgesic properties.

L-Theanine: Able to cross the blood-brain barrier, theanine has psychoactive properties. Theanine has been shown to reduce mental and physical stress, and improves cognition and mood in a synergistic manner with caffeine.

GABA: Drugs that act as allosteric modulators of GABA receptors (known as GABA analogues or GABAergic drugs) or increase the available amount of GABA typically have relaxing, anti-anxiety, and anti-convulsive effects. A number of commercial sources sell formulations of GABA for use as a dietary supplement. These sources typically make claims that the supplement has a calming effect. No scientific assessment of such claims exists, but because of the extensive evidence that GABA does not cross the blood-brain barrier at significant levels, their validity is doubtful.

Bacopa Monniera: Laboratory studies on rats indicate that extracts of the plant improve memory capacity. Recent studies suggest bacopa may improve intellectual activity.

Well there you have it, of all of the above, I think Valencia is the most promising in terms of coming through with the promised effects. If you notice it comes in a 10:1 powdered extract so even the proprietary blend should contain an effective dosage.

My rankings:
      Effectiveness (8/10): I did find myself sleeping deeper, but if something woke me up in the middle of the night I had a drunk feeling like I was coming out if a real deep sleep. Also, the only side effect I can attribute to this is I would have a slight hangover-type headache that would last for about half an hour after waiting. Halfway through taking 3Z I added HGHPRO which took away the headache and overall enhanced the effectiveness of the product.

Value (7/10): I got this product during AI's 50% off sale so I got a good deal on it, but in general its twice as much as regular ZMA but also may be more effective, so I gave it a 7.

Taste (10/10): Its a pill, who cares if it smells bad? I couldnt even tell to tell you the truth.

Overall (8/10): Overall, this product did what it was supposed to do, I wish they wouldnt have a proprietary blend and you could see the breakdown better, but it is definitely more effective with the HGHPRO. I dont think Im going to buy it again, maybe the HGHPRO and ZMA to cut down costs. Its simply to expensive at regular price to take on an ongoing basis.

August 3, 2011

Pros:
       Cons:
      • Increased Libido
      • Vivid Dreams
      • Horrible Smell
      This is a very fancy ZMA supplement.
      Its (almost) standard ZMA only it has 50mg less magnesium than patented ZMA.
      They fill in that 50mg gap with 1383mg of a proprietary blend of herbal ingredients to include:
      Valerian Root
      Passion Flower
      L-Theanine
      GABA (gamma-aminobutyric acid)
      Bacopa Monniera

This product is meant to help you fall asleep and stay asleep in order to help build quality muscle during this great sleep that were getting. Only problem is that 3Z does not cause or help incur deep sleep.

Taste: 2
      Smell alone gives this product a "2" in taste. Granted the taste itself is not bad but it smells rancid whenever you open the bottle.

Effectiveness: 4
      This product did have typical ZMA effects which include vivid dreams at night as well as increased libido but offered little else in terms of sleep quality and duration.

Value: 3
      Even if this product was free I would not take it again but it did have its typical ZMA effects so its not totally "worthless".
      Even the crappiest cars still have (some) value.

The best and most proven way to get quality sleep is to do your workout earlier in the day and dont take ANY stims after noon that day. Also keep a schedule to enforce your own circadian rhythms and you dont/wont need a sleep aid.