(Better than 47% in Blended Protein)

Tasty Whey Deluxe is a Blended Protein Powder manufactured by Adaptogen Science. It contains a blend of different types of protein and will promote lean muscle mass and fat loss.

Protein > Blended Protein

February 6, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Quality Protein Sources

I want to thank Adaptogen Science for giving me the opportunity to review Tasty Whey Deluxe. I'm always on the lookout for new protein powders and when this came up on TROOPS I had to give it a shot. Protein is the main staple of my supplement stack as it is for most of you. I'm staying real busy as of late and don't have the time for some meals/snacks so a protein shake is my go to option.

The ingredient profile is pretty basic....

Calories: 130
Calories from Fat: 20
Total Fat: 2.5g
Saturated Fat 1.5g
Total Carbs: 2.5g
Sugars: 1g
Protein: 25g

Adaptogen Science uses a Whey Protein Blend featuring - Concentrate, Isolate, Hydrolyzed Whey Protein Isolate.

Concentration- Concentration levels varying from 30-80%.
Isolate- Concentrations of 90% or higher.
Hydrolyzed- Concentration levels of 90-95%

Taste - I received the French Vanilla Swirl flavor which is one of seven or so currently available. With a name like Tasty Whey Deluxe with a French Vanilla Swirl flavor I was expecting it to taste good. The flavor hit the spot, I'm not a big vanilla person but this was definitely one of the best I've had. It had the taste of a fine french vanilla ice cream. Overall taste gets a 9/10.

Mixability- There were no issues with mixability..... no clumping, foaming or settlement. I only used water to mix and had no issues at all.

Dosing- Theres no real dosing protocol when using protein powder. Myself as most of you have a shake following training and to fill macro counts. On training days I had 1 scoop following training and non training days I had one scoop as part of a meal replacement.

I find that its easiest to judge the effectiveness of a protein powder by its digestibility & recovery. Milk proteins like whey can cause stomach issues to include bloating, digestion issues. While using Tasty Whey Deluxe I found no issues with digestion. There was a slight increase with my recovery rates following training. It wasn't anything over the top but there was enough to notice - because of this I was able to train harder. Of course it also helped fill me up while I was on the run, I used less water for more of a thickness (it seemed to do the trick).

The cheapest value I could find was on SupplementGeeks.com - I can't say I've ever heard of them but they had cheapest value at $28.99 + free shipping. My tub contained 26 total servings which brings the serving price to $1.12. I would consider buying a tub at the price point. Other retailers are selling 2lb tubs for around $35 or $1.35 per serving. I wouldn't pay anything higher than what SupplementGeeks is offering.

Side Effects

Conclusion

In conclusion I thought Tasty Whey Deluxe was a good protein powder with a better taste. The ingredient profile is pretty basic with the exception of the protein blend. With a name like Tasty Whey Deluxe I was expecting a little more to be included. I would only consider buying a tub with the $29 + free shipping price point.... anything higher I really wouldn't consider it. Thanks again to Adaptogen Science for participating in the SR TROOP Program.
  • French Vanilla Swirl: 9/10

January 22, 2018

• Good Macros
  • 60-30-10 Blend

First and foremost I would like to thank Adaptogen Science for sending me out their product so I could try it and review it for you guys. I would also like to thank SR for providing me the opportunity and the tools so that I can share with you guys my experience.

I'm a 40 year old gym rat who weights 235 pounds ... If I want to keep my muscles fed supposedly I have to eat 235 grams of protein ... That's a lot of protein to manage. Thankfully there are these so called protein powders to help you out ;). The tasty deluxe caught my eye since I love me some delicious protein shakes to keep up those macros.

So this is a protein blend that has three forms of whey protein ... I have e-mailed them and they were kind enough to give me the rations of the blend. I honestly thought they were going to be something like 9/.5/.5, but to my surprise it's 6/3/1. So you get 60% of whey protein concentrate which they have confirmed it's WPC80, 30% of Whey protein isolate which is 90% protein and lastly 10 percent of Hydrolyzed whey protein isolate which is also 90% protein. This should keep your muscles fed through different times since these proteins get digested at different rates.

The rest looks like this ...

130 Calories
2.5 grams of Fat
60mg of Cholesterol
55 mg of Sodium
2.5 grams of Carbs
Protein 25g

I have received the chocolate meltdown flavor and I enjoyed it but I wouldn't consider it a deluxe tasty flavor. It definitely didn't knock me of my feet. It was a good tasting chocolate which I enjoyed drinking with milk. I followed the directions and usually had a heaping scoop with 8oz of milk. Shook it for a while with my shaker and it was ready to go. Very smooth in texture almost like an Isolate.

I took this usually after my workout so that I can utilized the different blends to get my muscles fed quickly and over time. It also kept me full for a while so I didn't have to eat all at once. I didn't experience any difference on how I felt with my DOMS compared to other proteins. Obviously if I exercised hard enough it should help me out with lean muscles but don't think protein will do anything else by itself.

So while looking around I found this at supplementsgeeks.com for 29$ with free shipping which comes down to 1.11$ per serving, not bad. Usually it goes for 35$ with shipping it will be in the 40's which is 1.53 per serving and that gets a bit more expensive ... Personally I would only buy it for the price that supplementsgeeks.com are offering ... anything more I would consider overpriced.

Side Effects

Conclusion

It's a good blend with a good flavor, if the price sticks at 29$ flat. I would recommend it at that price to anyone but I highly doubt that it will stick. I'm trying to figure out the deluxe part of this protein blend, where is it? It would seem that it's mainly from the way that they manufacture the protein using a cold process. But than again, who isn't? Half of the market should be called Deluxe. It seems to me it's more of a marketing scheme ... that maybe could work on the younglings ... I'm to old for this ... Thank you for reading this and I hope you keep up your macro's.
  • Chocolate Meltdown: 8/10

December 16, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • -good Taste
  • Good Macros
  • Quality Protein Sources

(About yourself, 1-3 sentences maximum)
I'd like to start by thanking Adaptogen Science for the opportunity to try, and to review their protein blend 'Tasty Whey', through the Trooper program.
I have used many different kinds of protein supplements over the years from concentrates, to isolates to natural or artificially sweetened, to plant and soy based powders. I usually use them to hit my protein numbers for the day and don't really care to much on the source of protein as long as it fits my numbers. Sometimes I prefer higher calories when I am bulking and sometimes I need less when I am cutting. Therefore, I am also open to different formulas and blend. At this time, I have extra calories in my diet, so a protein blend like this one fits in nicely.

Tasty Whey Deluxe is a combination of the usual ingredients found in a high quality whey protein. It has a pretty open label, stating the types of protein found as well as other added ingredients. It isn't as open as something like a Nutrabio protein which states how much exact protein is derived from each sourced, but not many other proteins do that.

Each 35g scoop contains:
130 calories
2.5g total fat
2.5g carbs
0g fiber
1g sugar
25g protein
As you can see, it is a pretty clean protein, excellent for those on low calories or restricted carbs.

The ingredient list is as follows:
-whey protein blend (whey protein concentrate, whey protein isolate, hydrolyzed whey protein isolate).
You can see that the first ingredient is whey concentrate. It is not the cleanest form of whey protein and is probably where the few grams of carbs and fats come from. It is not unusual to see this listed as the first ingredient in a protein blends at it tends to offset the costs of the other more expensive proteins. Whey isolate is used next, which is usually what people like to see, especially in a blend as it is faster digesting as well as keeps the macros down a bit from a straight concentrate. Hydrolysate is next. These 'pre-digested' proteins help to speed up the digestion process ever further to help your body absorb and use the protein more efficiently. This is nice to see in a blend that contains concentrate as it helps to off set the macros and bioavailability even further. In terms of a protein blend, there is nothing here that I am unhappy with. It is pretty standard and what I would expect in using a whey blend.

The remaining ingredients are flavour and thickening agents. They are as follows:
Cocoa powder, natural & artificial flavours, potassium chloride, xanthin gum and sucralose. These are pretty standard ingredients in a whey powder. It is not a "natural" powder, nor does it claim to be. If that is important to you, you may not be a fan of these ingredients. I personally have no issues with artificial ingredients or sweeteners so it does not bother me, but you should be aware that they are in there.

Adaptogen does provide a typical amino acid breakdown per every scoop, which is nice. I never really even look at those things but it is important to some people. Here it is:

isoleucine 1,369mg
histidine 425mg
proline 1,357mg
serine 1,221
tyrosine 693mg

Taste: This powder has a lot to live up to. It is after all, called Tasty Whey Deluxe. One would then expect it to be, well, tasty. I have to say that Tasty Whey Deluxe is in fact, quick tasty. The chocolate meltdown has a smooth chocolatey taste without being over the top. It is not a dark chocolate taste, but more of a mix between milk chocolate and chocolate milk. I tried it many ways and it is by far the best mixed with milk. Either skim or 2% worked very well for me. I also used it with almond milk when I needed fewer calories and it kept its smooth creamy taste, but it wasn't a rich. With water it fell short for me, which most protein powders do. I am just not a fan when missed with water. Over all, it is not the best tasting protein powder there. For me, that honer goes to PES Select and MTS Machine Whey. However, it is by far the worst tasting. I would compare it to Muscletech's Whey Gold, which I also find to be quite tasty. 8/10

Mixability:
I usually use a blender to blend my powder with liquid and ice, which works quite well with all powders. However, for the sake of this review, I did try a simple shaker cup a few times to see how it performed. I guess I would say that it tasted as expected. When putting the liquid in first (which should always be done by the way) and shaking the shaker vigorously for 10-30 seconds, I never had any issues with clumping, or unmixed powder. It did not foam or have any graininess to it. I found it performed quite well. I also used this powder to cook with, in protein pancakes. It was right on par with any other whey protein, so I was happy about that since my post workout meals are usually protein pancakes.

Dosing:
Suggested use is to use one scoop (35g) of powder for every 8oz of liquid. This is how I dosed it when mixing with a shaker cup as I wanted to test it out. I found that with 8oz, the flavour was quite light, but still good. I often either used a little less liquid (7oz) or a bit more powder (40g) and found the flavour to be perfect. By following the 35g serving size, there were 26 servings in the container, which is right around normal or a little less than a months worth if using it every day. I often used more than 35g or used more than 1 serving per day which meant that it lasted me much less than 26 days. While using this product, I often have 2 protein shakes per day, sometimes 3. I was also alternating with another protein powder at the same time, which I will have a review for in a bit. So during my time with Tasty Whey, I was consuming anywhere from 1-3 servings of this particular powder. In total, it lasted me 17 days.

As I have stated before in previous protein powder reviews, effectiveness of protein supplements are hard to judge. I don't look at them as muscle sparring or building miracles. I simply use them to hit my protein numbers for the day. Protein in itself is essential for muscle growth or preservations, depending on your goals. Whey protein is simply a way to ensure that you are getting an adequate amount for your specific body and goals. That being said, whey protein does have a high bioavailability, making it perfect to take in and around training, not to mention the conveniency. Having the 3 types of whey protein lend this product to be easily digested and provide the support your body need in an efficient whey. For what it is, and for what I used it for, I would say that it is just as effective as any other whey protein blend I have used. If i was solely using it around training, I would like it to have more isolate than concentrate, but seeing as I would use it at any point in my day, I really cannot complain about the fact that it is concentrate heavy. 9/10

In doing a search for Tasty Whey Deluxe, I have found that it is not widely available. In fact, I had difficulty finding it anywhere online other than direct from Adaptogen's website. It's list price there is quite high at $53.49 for 26 servings. It is not usual to pay a premium when buying direct from the manufacturer so I kept on searching. Unless my searching skills have failed me, the only other place that I could find it is from, believe or not, GNC. Here, it is priced at $34.99 for 26 servings. This may be the first time that I have found that GNC has the lowest price on a product. Never the less, it is not the cheapest protein blend on the market. Being a concentrate first formula, I would expect the price to be more around the $30 mark. Especially when I can get 23 servings of Dymatize Iso 100 for $28. 6/10

Side Effects

I haven't noticed any side effects. That being said, those who are sensitive to lactose and/or artificial sweeteners may want to read the ingredients carefully before deciding on this protein.

--Conclusion--
I think that Tasty Whey is very good tasting, well put together protein blend. it can definitely help in reaching protein numbers for the day and since it is delicious, one would not get bored or sick of it too quickly. That being said, there are more cost efficient proteins out there that are just are high in quality or even higher in some cases. If you are bored with your protein supplement and want to switch things up though, I don't think that you would be disappointed in Tasty Whey Deluxe.
  • Chocolate Meltdown: 8/10