Tasty Whey Reviews

By: Adaptogen Science

Protein > Whey Protein
Tasty Whey is a Whey Protein Powder manufactured by Adaptogen Science. It is a dairy based protein that supports lean muscle gain by suppling additional protein to recovering muscles, which can also improve fat loss.

February 29, 2016

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Tastes Great
  • Mixes Easily
  • Cheaper Than A Starbucks Dessert
  • Protein Packed Dessert
  • Plenty Of Unwanted Additives
  • Whey Protein Concentrate
  • Artificial Ingredients
- Introduction -
Simple diet and workout plan. 5x5 three days a week with basketball and other sports mixed in. Diet is mostly fish, eggs and milk with veggies mixed in here and there. One of my favorite supplements to take is a great tasting protein, so lets see if this lives up to its name.

- Ingredient Profile -
The protein in this is from Whey Protein Concentrate, which is not regarded as well as Whey Protein Concentrate, but is still protein nonetheless. I like the addition of the coconut oil which adds a creamier texture to the product. Overall they mixture is a basic natural/artificial blend of flavoring and sweeteners mixed in. I would not say this is one of those "muscle building" protein shakes, more of a great tasting milkshake with added protein. If you are really watching macros, this probably is not for you, due to the added fats and carbs, other than that it has a good ingredients list with a few unwanted ingredients(corn syrup, carrageenan, etc.)

- Taste: 9/10 (Sea Salt Caramel)
Ohhhhhhhh yaaassss. This was great adding it to milk made the flavor out of this world. It has a pinch of sea salt flavor, with caramel overtones. Its spectacular and lives up to the name Tasty Whey.

- Mixability: 7/10
Mixing was okay, I would mix 1 to 1 1/2 scoop with 15 oz of Cashew Milk or Raw milk and about 15-30 seconds of vigorous shaking and it was good to go. Minimal residue for the most part, and most important no clumping even with ice cold milk.

- Dosing -
1 scoop of 38g for a total of 24 servings. Usually I would dose in between 1 to 1 1/2 scoop depending on how flavorful I wanted it.

- Effectiveness: 7/10
As effectiveness goes, Tasty Whey is a tasty whey to add protein to your diet....puns. For myself I like the easiness of protein shakes, and its always nice if it has a great taste as well. The taste can take a protein shake from something you need to do, to something you want to do. If you were one of the people who was drinking protein shakes back 10 years ago, you'll know that most of the time the it was chore to choke down the powdery nasty tasting liquid. Tasty Whey will make adding protein to you diet fun and easy with such a great taste. Though the protein you're getting is not the purest form, it stills helps you get to your protein levels for the day.

- Value: 7.5/10
$28 for 24 servings is decent for the a whey protein concentrate(6ish/10), though I add points to the value due to its great flavor. I am willing to pay a little extra for a great tasting protein rather than choke down some nasty tasting one to save a few bucks.

- Side Effects -

- Conclusion -
Want protein? Want sea salt caramel but don't want the added pounds? take this. Simple as that. I recommend this to anyone looking to make their protein supplementation easier and tastier. Though I will always recommend whey protein isolate when supplementing protein, I like this due to its great taste and texture. Thanks to Adaptogen for sending this out! Enjoyed it thoroughly
  • Sea salt caramel: 9/10

Overall
Overall
5.2
5.7
5.5
  February 26, 2016

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Tastes Great
  • Mixes Easily
  • Cheaper Than A Starbucks Dessert
  • Low Protein Content
  • Pricey
  • High Sat Fat
  • High Na
  • Plenty Of Unwanted Additives

Firstly thanks to Adaptogen for supporting the TROOPS.

By focusing on taste above everything else, Adaptogen is attempting to extend the protein powder market to consumers that have not used it before. With Tasty Whey (TW), you can have basically a high fat Starbucks Double Caramel Frappucino while pretending to be a supplement consuming gym junkie. (It does taste awesome though - no question.)

Product label is shown on the SR product page. Not clear which flavor this relates to but I will go with it for the salty caramel flavor I got. (Adaptogen only lists a chocolate flavor product label on its website).

There is some protein in there - 40% (a "prop blend" according to the Adaptogen website), along with 4 g sat fat from added coconut oil, plus corn syrup, sugar, fructose, artificial favors, sucralose. Yum - no wonder it tastes good! There is also 200mg sodium. Total calories 165.

Labdoor check
Labdoor.com has not tested any Adaptogen products so no comment can be made on the veracity of the label. For comparison, MyProtein Impact Whey gets an A and is ranked #3 out of 74 over on Labdoor.com and that gives me a lot of confidence in the product.

I requested and got the sea salt caramel and it was totally amazing. I used it only with non-fat milk and it mixed very easily in a blender bottle into a creamy consistency.

With only 40% protein , its not going to be as effective as higher protein content products. Most likely no isolate in there, since its not stated on Adaptogen's website, unlike their Gold Whey. I guess if you really need to bulk, the 4g saturated fat is OK, but it was a turn off for me. Adaptogen claims the MCTs in the coconut powder burn fat, yet with their Gold Whey, they claim its low fat content (no coconut powder) is best for those looking to burn fat. Cant really have it both ways.

TW is $28 for 2lbs. In comparison, MyProtein Impact Whey is $27 for 2.2lbs on SR, but right now (2/26/16) its on offer at MyProtein.com for $18.89 (coffee caramel flavor). Its not that TW is crazy expensive, but hard to justify unless you really are interested in taste over content. I haven't tried MyProtein coffee caramel, but I am sure TW tastes better. If taste is more important than content to you, then TW at just over $1/scoop, is a lot cheaper than a Starbucks grande caramelccino.

Side Effects

A gnawing feeling of guilt with every mouthful followed by a sugar crash shortly after.

Conclusion

Adaptogen says that TW will "please the whole family", and that of course is what they are aiming for. Its a protein powder for people that want a calorie laden Starbucks-type dessert drink while pretending to have a healthy eating, workout lifestyle. Feed it to the kids and dog too!

I can't recommend it to anyone serious about adding lean mass.
  • Sea salt caramel: 10/10

4.5
  February 9, 2016

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Man It Tastes Good
  • Unbelivably Yummy
  • You Could Probably Just Grab A Handful And It Would Still Be Incredible
  • Need An Industrial Mixer Just To Make One Shake

I am Gilla. I like delicious things. Thanks to Adatogen Science for giving me the chance to review the product in the flavor I requested, Strawberries N Creme.

Here's a point where the product struggles.

At a ratio of 165 calories for 20 G of protein, this is a category of least impressive labels on the market. Now, granted this product does have MCTs in it, which adds to the flavor/texture and does have health benefits, but it's still a bit poor of a ratio. Just for kicks, analyzing TastyWhey to ON's "Gold Standard" Whey, you are getting 4 more G of protein in a smaller scoop, while getting substantially less calories, less fat and less sugar with ON's product.

THIS. PRODUCT. TASTES. AMAZING. It is the tastiest of tasty whey to ever be tasted. It's like they dumped copious amounts of addicting MSG into the flavor system and what came out was smoothy milky goodness. No doubt the MCTs added to this product helps with the smooth and creamy flavor. My only previous experience with MCTs was in a BCAA product by 360CUT and the smoothness was there as well, but when you add it to the Strawberry, milky protein powder. My god. It tasted best when the product didn't fully mix and you could taste the clumps of powder mixed with the milk.

THIS. PRODUCT. MIXES. LIKE. @#$%. It doesn't matter how. I tried putting the powder in the cup first, then adding milk...awful. Milk first then powder...terrible. Maybe if I blend it with a blender into a smoothie?...It makes the smoothie very "airy" and not very thick...which I found weird. Usually, if I want a good forearm workout, I'll bust out some adult reading material, but with this product you'll be sitting there with your spoon/fork and stirring for longer than an episode of the Gilmore Girls and still only have it half worked out.

Because it was delicious, I dosed this wicked liberally. Sometimes I'd scoop and a half it. Oftentimes, I'd take more than 1 "serving" of that monster scoop a day.

Protein for me is best measured in terms of tummy issues, of which this product presented none. Even with the creamyness and thickness of the powder, I got no yuckies. Even with my rather generous serving sizes...which is probably amongst the largest of any protein product I've ever run, due to the yummyness...no yuckies. Another positive is that even though the label is sort of not nice in terms of calorie/fat content...and I scooped like a madman, I never felt "bloaty" which I can get with some dairy/protein. I actually did feel a bit "leaner" on occasion the morning after a two serving day...them MCTs be magic!

Recovery was sort of hard to measure as it always is with a protein product and I conclude it's often "mental", there was no noticeable benefit. I did feel there was a tad bit of "muscle preservation" though as I didn't deflate all that much after heavy cardio days.

The best I can find this product is about $28 for 2lbs ($14/lb). At only 20G per scoop and only 24 scoops total, I find this to be extremely high. There are much better values on the market...they just don't taste as good.

Side Effects

There's like a 50/50 chance you will tear your rotator cuff while mixing this product.

Conclusion

This is by far the most delicious thing I have ever put in my mouth. The price makes it a non-starter for me though, in terms of number of servings and ratios. If you've got a lot of cash to spend and want an effective and absolutely delicious protein product, it does well enough though.