PRE Historic Reviews

By: Acropolis Nutrition

Pre-Workout > Pump
PRE Historic is a Pump Product manufactured by Acropolis Nutrition. It is meant to increase blood flow, muscle pumps and increase vascularity. It can be stacked with a stimulant based pre-workout for an added stimulant effect. This promotes an environment for increased muscle mass and fat loss.

May 14, 2018

• Fully Disclosed
  • High-quality Ingredients
  • Natural
  • Amazing Pump
  • Good Endurance
  • Could Be Slightly Cheaper

A pump chasers dream pre-workout at a fairly reasonable price for what you're getting.

What is going on guys? I've got another pre-workout review for you all today. To avoid any confusion, I'd like to reiterate what I said in my Total War review. I only used 1 serving of this product during my overlap with total war. I tried one serving then put it back in the cabinet until I could give it the one on one attention that this pre workout deserves! I claimed this product due to the impressive looking label and would like to thank everyone at SR and Acropolis Nutrition for making this review possible.

They have given us a fully disclosed label which will make this process so much easier. Here are some of the highlights:

7g of Citrulline Malate: This is every pump chasers dream. The clinical dose is listed at 6g so this product gives us that extra gram to hopefully push it over the top with some real skin shredding pumps.

500mg of Beet Root extract: This will also aid in the nitric oxide department, however, I do wish that there was a little bit more included.

300mg of L-Norvaline: esupplements.com describes norvaline as such- "norvaline works by inhibiting arginase, allowing you to achieve longer, stronger pumps that give more power and recovery ability. In fact, studies show L-norvaline can improve pumps up to 60%." Again I believe these effects would be even more noticeable in higher dosage.

3g of Beta Alanine: This can greatly increase your endurance during your workout. 3g sits right under the clinical dose of 3.2g. If you are not used to supplementing with Beta Alanine than 3g could possibly give you a tingly sensation on your face that make you feel like you can run through a wall. At least from my experiance, Beta Alanine helps add extra reps to my sets at the end of tiring workouts that I would not have been able to achieve otherwise.

2g of Betaine: This one is very underrated in my opinion. It can delay muscular fatigue and allow athletes to train harder, for longer.

2g of Creatine HCl: There are obvious benefits for strength training and overall bodybuilding style of training. Creatine saturation can also help in ATP and strength gains

1.5g of Taurine: It is known to help aid in blood flow and metabolism.

1.5g of Tyrosine: increases mental alertness and focus

300mg Purecaf coffee bean extract: So this is not your traditional caffeine supplement. I'm really hoping some of the qualities will be similar . I personally know nothing about this so here's a snippet about it from appliedfoods.com 'PurCaf organic caffeine is a powdered extractstandardized at 95% pure caffeine extracted from green coffee beans. PurCaf is non-GMO and one of the only GRAS caffeine sources in the industry today for safe use in beverages. While being highly water soluble, PurCaf organic caffeine is also clear in solution and has a neutral taste profile.'

450mg of Stevia Leaf extract: to enhance sweetness, (I'm low-key excited for this)

And to top it all off we have 3g of BCAAs in a 2:1:1 ratio. This is something that I rarely see in pre workouts and wish that more companies did! Supplementation of BCAAs right before your workouts could be very beneficial (or at least a positive placebo effect for me personally). This profile is very solid. It specializes in a good pump but they add in a little bit of everything which I personally really like. I've got a feeling that this is more than just a one trick pony.

Taste: Berry Lemonade was one of the sweetest pre-workouts I have ever drank. If you don't like artificial sweeteners or a really sweet taste then this flavor is not for you. However, I loved every sip. The sweetness played a part in 'waking me up' and getting in the right mindset to battle the weights.

Mixibility: You gotta make an effort to get this stuff to mix all the way in. It wasn't anything problematic just slightly annoying that after the initial shaking, in between sips, you would probably need to shake it again to get some of the sediment to mix in. In the products defense, it does mention that on the side of the bottle that the powder ay settle at the bottom and to just keep shaking it as you drink it.

Dosage: They recommend that you take 1 serving 30 minutes before your workout and that's exactly what I did. I did try double scooping once and I do NOT recommend it. It was a very 'overpowering' sensation that made me feel worse rather than better. If you're not used to some of the higher dosages of ingredients then the manufacturer's also recommend that you start with half a scoop.

PUMP: This was the best part of this product by far. I've supplemented with citrulline malate for a long time so I'm used to the whole 'veiny pump' thing, but these pumps were on another level. I don't know if they stuck some magic fairy juice in there or what but I have never responded this well to a pump product before. Whatever muscle group I was targeting was laced with veins the ENTIRE workout and my whole drive home afterwards. I'm in the middle of a lean bulk so I'm more used to slowly losing sight of my veins/vascularity over time as I gain weight not seeing veins in my calves and quads that I don't remember seeing the day before. I felt absolutely juiced every single workout while taking this product. I can't say enough positive things about the wicked pumps I got every day.

Endurance: Surprisingly solid, not as heavenly as the pumps but it is clearly evident that the 3g of beta-alanine listed on the label is present. I got a slight tingle on the top of my ears (I'm used to beta-alanine so it usually takes around 4g to give me the normal face tingles) and I did not fatigue as quickly as I would expect myself too. This amounts to an extra exercise at the end of my regularly scheduled workout or an extra 2-4 sets. That may not sound like a lot, but it's music to my ears. You'll be able to smash your compound movements and still have some drive left in the tank to get some volume work in after.

Focus: Mild to standard by my experience. I've had products that gave me much better 'tunnel vision' and tis product was more like it kept me on track. I was focused on my sets but not 'obsessed' with every fine detail like some supplements can make you feel.

Energy: The organic coffee bean extract gave me just enough energy to jumpstart my workout but nothing crazy. I feel like 300mg of regular caffeine works a little bit better for my body and is slightly more effective.

After doing some digging, it appears that this product is only available on the manufacturer's website for $37.99 ($1.89 per serving). It isn't the best deal but for what you're getting I think that it is worth it, and when you compare it to other pre-workouts with clinical dosages it comes pretty close and competitive. My only knock is that this product could in theory become expensive if you were buying it every 20-25 days.

Side Effects

Tingles if not used to beta-alanine

Conclusion

This is a pump chasers dream with some other very good benefits that everyone can benefit from. The pump alone may be worth the price of admission.

May 14, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Good Pump
  • Natural
  • High-quality Ingredients
  • Fully Disclosed
  • Foamy
  • Average Taste
  • Bit Expensive

Well-rounded, natural pre-workout.
Is on the expensive side.

This looked like an interesting, natural pre-workout from a newer company so I decided to claim a tub. Thank you to Acropolis Nutrition for sending it out.

This is a pretty straight-forward ingredient profile that does not use too many exotic stimulants or anything like that to be effective. I like profiles like this because it usually ends up being a well-rounded pre-workout with clean energy. It does not make you feel sick or super jittery. This is fully disclosed label with a lot of patented ingredients. It is broken down into three complexes: the first is the pump/nitric oxide complex with 7 g of fermented citrulline malate, 500 mg of beet root extract, and 300 mg of norvaline. Next is the strength/performance complex with 3 g of CarnoSyn beta alanine, 2 g of BetaPower betaine, and 2 g of creatine HCl. There is the energy/focus complex consisting of 1.5 g of taurine, 1.5 g of tyrosine, 300 mg of PurCaf caffeine, and 300 mg of theanine. Also added is 3 g of fermented BCAAs in a 2:1:1 ratio. I would have liked to see some BioPerine in here to help with the absorption of these ingredients. That ingredient has mostly become a staple in the pre-workout supplements I have taken recently, so I think it would benefit the profile a bit. I think this profile is pretty similar to my favorite pre-workout supplement, which is Pre-Kaged.

Taste 6/10: Received the berry lemonade flavor which I believe is their only flavor available at this time. I was not too impressed with the flavor, but pre-workouts are usually the hardest supplements to flavor especially when they use BCAAs, citrulline malate, beet root, etc. You also have to remember that they went in the natural direction, which I always appreciate, but that does usually hurt the flavor a bit. I will take naturally flavored supplements over delicious supplements all day though, but that is just me. I noticed that the rep commented on the previous reviewer's review and states that they are working on a new flavor. I would be interested in trying that one out in the future.

Mixability 6/10: I experienced heavy foaming when shaken in a bottle. Swirling it around reduced the foam for the most part.

Dosing: They suggest starting with 1/2 scoop and then working up to 1 scoop. They state to use 12-16 oz of cold water and drink 30 minutes prior to working out.

I liked the energy that this provided. 300 mg of caffeine is on the higher side for me so I did not have any complaints about the amount of caffeine present in here. I was able to get through my workouts and have plenty of energy after them with no crashing. My workouts have been usually around 45 minutes or so. The 3 g of beta alanine gave me the tingles almost every workout and it allowed me to have the endurance to get through sets of 10+ reps with less than a minute rest in between sets. I liked the combination of the betaine and creatine HCl; it provided me with pretty nice strength gains although that is not something that I have been training for recently.

I received a decent amount of focus due the tyrosine and theanine, but I think this is the area that could be improved on possibly. I am not saying that this aspect was a complete dud, but if that tunnel vision is something that you look for, this may not be the supplement for you. However, I kind of expected that knowing prior to claiming it that there were not those exotic stims that could provide that.

The best category of Pre-Historic in my opinion is the pump it delivered. 7 g of citrulline malate is a nice dosage and I have normally been a responder to CM. It provided me with a dry, vascular pump; it was not one of those dense, painful pumps that you would normally experience with ingredients like HydroMax. However, the vascular type pumps are the ones I prefer. The pumps could have also been due to the style of training I have been doing which is more hypertrophy training with shorter rest times, but I am sure the CM and beet root helped in some way.

Going for about $38 on their website for 20 servings. That comes out to $1.90 a serving, which you probably will not see too many pre-workouts priced much more expensive than that. Of course this has to do with that it uses natural ingredients, patented ingredients at effective dosages, as well as the fact that this is a newer company. Hopefully over time the price can come down a bit.

Side Effects

Conclusion

This was a good pre-workout that I would recommend if you are into natural supplements or looking for a well-rounded pre-workout. The taste may need a bit of work to it or hopefully other flavors are released as hinted by the rep of the company. Thank you again Acropolis Nutrition for sending it to me to try out.
  • Berry Lemonade: 6/10

Overall
Overall
6.7
5.6
  May 10, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Good Pump

Great for pumps but not so much taste.... honestly did not look forward to drinking it due to it...

How's it going SR!!! I want to thank Acropolis Nutrition and the Trooper program for the opportunity to try PRE Historic. A good pre workout is key to getting a good workout if you lack the energy etc. I am a pre workout freak and love to try new things. I saw this posted on the SR Troop Board and just had to give it a shot! This is more a pump based pre workout so the energy levels on this won't be extremely crazy like most.

PUMP/NITRIC OXIDE
L citruline - 7g (definitely made a big different taking this high dosage of citruline. Pumps were spot on)
beet root extract - 500g
L-Norvaline - 300mg
Beta Alanine - 3g
Creatine HCL - 2g

ENERGY/FOCUS COMPLEX
Taurine 1.5g
L-Tyrosine - 1.5g
Coffee Bean Extract - 300mg (did not really feel much of a burst of energy at all, just tingles from beta alanine mostly)

BCAA BLEND 2:1:1
L-Theanine - 300mg
L- Leucine - 1500mg
L-Isoleucine - 750mg
L-Valine - 750mg

Taste was absolutely horrible honestly. IT was extremely bitter and did not taste what it was advertised as (berry lemonade). When i first got it I had high hopes that it would taste good because I love both berry and lemonade but was quickly dissapointed since the first taste... But I did not give up on it!

I must say if I were to judge this product by just the taste I would be a fool. This product actually worked extremely well. The pumps were definitely there. Nothing mind blowing but definitely something to keep your eyes peeled for especially if they rework the flavor. I took one scoop 15 minutes prior to working out and you could feel a little wake up and get you ready for the gym. Like I said the pump was definitely there. Felt my muscles get fuller faster during my workouts and my endurance went out a smidge but nothing insane.

$37.99 for 20 servings going off of their website. which comes to $1.89 a scoop which for me is a little up there especially since the product did not taste the best.

Side Effects

None to be reported.

Conclusion

If this product had better flavoring it would be a winner in my book but unfortunately until then I will stay away from getting it. I must agree that it did give me an amazing pump and my workouts felt a lot better while on it due to the increase pump and endurance but the flavor is what got to me. Almost unbearable.
  • Berry Lemonade: 1/10