Kill It Reviews

Overall
Overall
  November 13, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Long Handle Scooper
  • Solid Tingles In Spite Of Lower Dose Of Beta Alanine
  • Clean Energy
  • Increased Strength
  • Bang For Your Buck
  • True One Scooper Preworkout
  • Solid Pumps
  • Endurance
  • Not That Punch In The Face Energy
  • Lacking A Bit In The Mental Focus Department

Hello SR community. Redweilerfan is back again with a review and this time around we will go IN DEPTH with one of the most popular preworkouts the market has seen in the last years. Yes I am, of course, talking about Kill It by Rich Piana and 5% Nutrition. We all know about the tragic event of Rich Pianas death some time ago and there is no doubt about the fact that the supplement world has lost one of its most colourful personalities, regardless of what people think of him individually. 5% Nutrition is a widely popular company and their supplements are selling basically all over the world, something few brands really manage to pull off today. This is certainly based on good marketing and branding, but also on Pianas own person. I have just recently finished my tub of this pre and will now deliver an in depth review of it. A few words about me; I workout 4 times a week with 3 days off for recovery since Im not in my 20s anymore. I'm currently bulking and the goal is to eat tons and lift tons. For this one needs good preworkouts and I usually rotate them two and two, so as not to get too used to one specific brand. Alright, on with the review then.

So, right off the bat I will say that this is the international version (European) and not the U.S version of Kill It, so there are some minor differences, although I will also say that this is a rare occasion when I believe that the international version is better. Usually it is almost always the other way around. Okay, so with one scoop at 11.9 g we get 30 servings in total and per scoop we get;

Vitamin B3 (as Niacinamide) 30 mg (150% of daily allowance)
Magnesium (as Creatine MagnaPower Magnesium Creatine Chelate) 120 mg (30% of your daily allowance)
Sodium (as Sodium Citrate) 24 mg (1% of your daily allowance)
Potassium (as Potassium Citrate and Raw Coconut Water Concentrate) (1% of your daily allowance)

L-Citrulline 4000 mg
Creatinol-O-Phosphate (COPMax) 500 mg
Caffeine anhydrous 250 mg
L-Norvaline 125 mg
Rhodiola Rosea Extract (Root) 75 mg

So, the US version contains 750 mg of agmatine and tri citrulline malate for pumps and the international contains 4 g of pure l-citrulline, and this is the most obvious difference. Now, 750 mg of agmatine is generally seen as under dosed (1 to 1.5 g is the standard dose) and the tri citrulline malate is hidden behind a prop blend in the US version, so we don't know the exact amount there. The international version has a full disclosure label (a plus in my book) and 4 g of straight citrulline is not under dosed, it is over dosed (clinical dose seen generally in 3 g). This will produce solid pumps and I will elaborate upon that in the Effectiveness section below.

Beta alanine comes in the well known Carnosyn patented version, thought of as the best, although here it is under dosed with 2 g (usually 3.2 g is regarded as clinical dosage). I will also return to this issue in the Effectiveness section. Beta alanine as we all know works by blocking mainly hydrogen ions and the build up of lactic acid in your working muscles, which has the effect of providing increased stamina and endurance, resulting in a few more reps.

Taurine is another popular ingredient nowadays and it primarily helps with muscle cell volumization and power output, thus giving you some extra lifting power and muscle fullness. 1 g is a clinical dose, but I have seen more than double that amount in other pres.

NALT is mainly for mental focus and, if you are lucky, euphoria during a hard workout. This version of tyrosine passes through the blood-brain barrier via its high solubility and thus increases the effects on the brain. 500 mg is a standardized dose, although I would have been happy seeing the double amount here for some real mental boost.

Creatine MagnaPower is touted as a more bio available version of creatine due to the addition of magnesium, and the claims are that this aids in the process of ATP production, the main source of energy for your muscles. I personally think the jury is out on that one and the debate continues as to the efficiency of that versus creatine monohydrate. The dose of 1500 mg is debatable.

Creatinol-o-Phosphate in the patented COPMax version is an interesting ingredient which has become popular during recent years. In spite of its name suggesting otherwise, this is more similar to beta alanine than creatine and it inhibits low PH in your muscles, thereby delaying lactic acid build up.

125 mg of l-Norvaline, which is a clinical dose, adds to the pump effect together with 4 g of citrulline and vitamin B3. L-Norvaline inhibits arginase and prolongs vasodilation. Niacin has a vast array of health benefits, it converts carbohydrates into glucose for easily attainable energy for your working muscles, it boosts natural energy and for us bodybuilders, it increases blood flow thereby helping out with the pumps.

Finally, we got 250 mg of caffeine as the only stimulant source in this pre. This amount is a moderate one, and it will probably appeal to most people, even stim sensitive ones. It is a nice middle range dose for most people, it is not too much to cause jitters and crashes, and it delivers an adequate amount of mental and physical energy. The inclusion of rhodiola at 75 mg is, in my opinion, practically worthless. This low amount (clinical dose often stated as 300-400 mg) will not do a thing for you, and besides, rhodiola is an anti-stress ingredient mainly and not something that you will have any direct use for in a preworkout. Well, someone perhaps will say: "this is for fighting fatigue, making you working out longer"! Nope, the amount is still so low that it will probably not do anything at all here. According to Examine.com the recommended dose for stopping fatigue and providing stress relief is in the 288-680 mg range. Either way, it is under dosed. Alright, so those are the ingredients and they are all good ingredients in a pre (except rhodiola in my opinion anyways).

Okay, so we now come to the taste aspect here. This is unfortunately not the best aspect of Kill It, and yes, it is a personal and subjective statement. This pre comes in several flavors; Blue Raspberry, Fruit Punch, Grape Bubblegum, Mango/Pineapple, Lemon/Lime and Southern Sweet Tea. I bought the Mango/Pineapple since I'm a big fan of tropical flavors overall. Unfortunately, there was no taste of pineapple whatsoever here. What I did taste was a synthetic mango flavor with a strange kind of bitterness in the aftertaste. The first few sips were pretty good, but then it got old and it got old fast. The bitter chemical aftertaste made me just chug it down to get it over with. Mixability was nice though, the powder dissolved quickly and the dosing is great. This is a true one scooper preworkout; you don't have to double scoop in order to reap the benefits here. Gotta love that nowadays! I usually chugged it down 20-30 minutes before hitting the gym, which was perfect.

The important part for a pre; did it work? I can say this; I have used many pres during my time as a bodybuilder and Kill It is in my opinion one of the best so far. I would say that it is among my top 5 pres so far. After chugging it and hitting the gym I got to work and Kill It delivered all the way. I got noticeable strength increase and I could increase weights for chest press, shoulders, biceps/triceps and legs. Endurance was pretty good and I gotta tell you guys, these are among the worst (or rather best) beta alanine tingles I have felt ever! That's crazy, I can take 3.2 g of Carnosyn beta alanine in some pres and I don't feel a thing, and yet here I took only 2 g and my whole body was running rampant. Endurance was good in spite of under dosed beta alanine and perhaps the COPMax helped out here. Once (no joke here guys) I had tingles for 50 minutes straight and euphoria for 3 hours on. That time I got a little bit scared, wondering what was going on! I did not have euphoria every time with Kill It, but often enough. However, the mental focus part was a bit inconsistent to be honest. Sometimes I maxed my strength and had 2 hours straight in the gym, but almost without any mental focus. When I had mental focus it was of the weaker kind. But the strength and overall effectiveness of this pre made up for it though. Pumps were great overall, and they should be with that amount of citrulline combined with niacin and l-norvaline. Energy wise, this is in the lower end of the spectrum. It is not bad per se, but my sweetspot when it comes to caffeine is usually around 300-350 mg, and I would not consider myself a stim junkie by any means. But the energy was clean and long lasting, although not particularly strong. So, if you require 400 mg of caffeine for a good workout, then this is not a pre for you. If you like Piana and 5% Nutrition then 5150 would be a more stim packed alternative. Sometimes I myself like that "punch in the face" energy that gets me going, but that depends on the circumstances, it is not something I like every time I workout. For all you folks working out late in the evening, which I do twice a week, this would be a nice pre to try out. Also, I didnt notice any tolerance build up, which is nice. Overall then, solid effectiveness in most areas.

Value is a good thing here as well. Kill It is not cheap by any means, but I would contend that you will get some bang for your buck. I paid $ 38 when I bought this one online long time ago and the prices are around the mid $ 30 mark today as well. On Amazon I saw it for $ 35.95 and on 5% Nutrition's webpage the price is the same. For $ 35.95 you get 30 servings which comes down to around $ 1.20 per individual serving. Not the best, but not the worst either. As I said; you do get some bang for your buck here. This is after all a true 30 servings preworkout. And certainly, this is a "celeb product" and as with all those you do pay for the name on the tub as well as for the brand name. Second, we have ingredients here that are expensive, like COPMax for instance, so those things affect the price. But overall a pretty good value I think.

Side Effects

Conclusion

For me, Kill It does exactly that. It killed the workouts. If you wanna kill the weights and feel good about it, this is a pre that would be a good alternative. It has solid ingredients, it provides good pumps and it is a true one-scooper pre. Strength is a winner here. Yes, it is not cheap, but if you find it on sale somewhere, don't hesitate. I will buy it again in another flavor if I can find it a bit cheaper in the future. Sometimes we just have to admit that quality costs, right? But Kill It is still, after some years, a strong contender on the preworkout market, and that is saying something when we consider how flooded it is today. For me, this is a "thumbs up" product.
  • Mango Pineapple: 5/10

• bzyczek
    November 14, 2017

Nice thorough review ...

• November 14, 2017

@bzyczek: Thanks, glad you liked it.

• MarsheS
    November 14, 2017

Nice deep review, the description of the taste reminds me of Pineapple Mango from Arnold Iron Pump. I think your Effectiveness score had to be higher, considering this: "I would say that it is among my top 5 pres so far." You can't just put an 8 to a description like that lol unless you've had bad luck with most preworkouts.