TROOP CP

This product has been reported as discontinued and replaced with Modern BCAA+

Modern BCAA Reviews

By: USPlabs

Overall Score:   How is this Calculated?

9.1

Modern BCAA is a BCAA manufactured by USPlabs. BCAA is short for branched chain amino acids. They are the building blocks of protein and can increase protein synthesis, muscle recovery and endurance during workouts and have also been shown to reduce body fat.

This product has been reported as discontinued and replaced with Modern BCAA+
INGREDIENTS (13)
THIS PRODUCT
(Amount not disclosed)
MIN. EFF. DOSE
400mg
CATEGORY AVG
2975mg

Essential amino acid responsible for calcium absorption in the body as well as maintaining nitrogen balance and preserving lean body mass during times of stress.

THIS PRODUCT
(Amount not disclosed)
MIN. EFF. DOSE
500mg
CATEGORY AVG
1158mg

Amino acid that draws water into muscle cells which improves hydration, recovery, performance and pumps.

COMPARE SIMILAR

alemaodh
  May 26, 2014

Stacking with Muscletech Neurocore, Universal Creatine, ON Whey. Pretty decent diet, 3 days/week in the gym, 3 days/week cardio (bike), 1 day off.

I bought this supp because of the advertised 8:1:1 rate. Marketing or not, I think was worth a try. What I can say is that it really impressed me.

It is a little bit pricey, I don't remember how much I paid, but I recall it was more expensive than some other brands. It lasted for a while, so I think it was a good value.

Dosage: 9/10
I took the recommended dosage (2 scoops) intra-workout. FYI I prefer powder over capsules.
It is a little bit foamy, but just shake it properly (tip: no cold water).

Since I started taking this supp, my recovery got way better. I hardly ever feel any post-workout muscle pain. I can have a heavy lifting workout session but the next day I'm feeling great, no muscle pain or whatsoever. I took other BCAAs but none of them helped me that much in the recovery. All my muscles got harder and I'm stronger. It's a natural result of the training + other sups, but I think the Modern BCAA have its role on the combo as well.

Side Effects:
Other than the awful taste (blue raspberry), none.

I got great results, my recovery was awesome and I really liked the ingredient profile. I'm only giving a 9 because of the horrendous taste. (Yes it is that bad)
I would definitely recommend this supp and take it again and again and again.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Excellent Recovery
  • Horrific Taste
coolaaron
  November 1, 2013

Even though there are lots of reviews on Modern BCAA, I decided to add another one to the SR collection because I have tried many BCAA products and like to think that I am a good judge as to whether or not a BCAA supp is really worth taking.

The next paragraph I write will be in brackets because I will explain briefly the need for BCAA products in very basic terms. If you aren't interested in that and just want to read the review itself then skip to where the brackets end.

( Branch Chain Amino Acids must be present in the body for molecular growth and development. There are different categories of BCAA but I will only mention one which is: essential amino acids EAA. This is because they can not be manufactured by the body, while the others can hence the need for supplementation. The EAA got from supplements are needed because when the body is under stress, i.e when your working out, your body is in a catabolic state. This very basically means the body cant produce muscle but by using BCAA and providing those EAA the catabolic state is turned to an anabolic state and in turn muscle growth can continue. The benefits of them are that, as mentioned, they build muscle but they are also useful for limiting muscle loss if you are injured or just during a cut.)

Mixability: 5/10
I started first with the lowest rating that this product will get from me rather than hype you all up and then pull you out of the sky with this rating later on in the review. Actually in terms of BCAA this product mixes pretty well due to the fact that it has so much Leucine and Leucine does cause poor mixability in products. However I gave it a low rating because in terms of purely mixing with water and becoming whole, it doesnt achieve it too well. I know thats a bit harsh but its fair because mixability does mean mixability and that, it doesnt do well.

Taste: 8/10
The taste is a bit of a touchy subject with this product because its a case of you either like it or you dont. I personally like it, I think it's different and a good one at that. I tried Blue Raspberry and grape flavor. Blue Raspberry gets the nod for my favourite but grape in fairness is nice too. I do know a few people that dont like either flavors but luckily for them unflavored is also available.

Effectiveness: 9.5/10
Its effectiveness is what I love about this product. Before I took it I thought, because I had tried so many other BCAA, that I had experienced everything that a BCAA product had to offer but I was mistaken. When I took this I was amazed at how I was able to recover quicker between sets and the days after a hard session and this is why I gave it such a high rating. It made leg days less painful and who doesnt want that?? I also felt more hydrated during training and as desired it also helps to build lean muscle.

The cost of this was also another plus. It was much the same price as all the other BCAA products in my local supp store but you get more quantity and its just so much better than all the other BCAA products out there that the price seems like a bargain.

Overall:
Ok I think its time to end this very long review(sorry about that) but I'm sure it'll help you. All I have to say now about it is: TRY IT. You wont be disappointed.

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Excellent Recovery
nickfuri
  August 1, 2013

I'm not going to pretend to know every ingredient in this product or go down the effectiveness of BCAA's. This is a purely non-scientific review from the view of an everyday normal guy. As i've gotten up in age (i'm 31), i have noticed that the aches and pains that i didn't have years ago are creeping in. By this i mean half way through my workouts I notice some fatigue, even though I use pre workout. I notice this more the next morning and days after. I have been searching for awhile to find a product to help me with this little aches and pains. Without sugar-coating it, this is the product.

I initially purchased this after reading reviews of several other BCAA's on this site. I used a full tub of it and noticed less aches and pains, but didn't think anything of it. I decided to wait a bit before purchasing my next tub and boy was i wrong. I simply underestimated the power of Modern BCAA. During my usage, I noticed less fatigue intra-workout and less pains after the fact. Now going on a week without it, I am back to square one and sore as all heck. Here's my rundown:

Taste/Mix: 9/10: Modern BCAA taste is excellent, not too overpowering or sugary, just right. I purchased the fruit punch and loved it. All you gotta do is drop two scoops and shake for 30 seconds, no clumps or residue in the shaker.

Effectiveness: 10/10: obviously from above I realized this a little too late...I am staring out my front door waiting for my next delivery of it.

Price: 8/10: Its around $30 depending on where you purchase it. Worth every penny but I can see how it can get pricey for hardcore lifters.

Dosing: 10/10: 2 scoops is a shaker of water. Tastes great and easy to mix.

Value: 10/10: Its an invaluable product for me and while be a part of my workout for the foreseeable future.

Overall: 9/10: I am now a believer of BCAA's and there importance to my nutritional regiment. I will use this and recommend it to anyone.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Excellent Recovery
  • Less Soreness
  • Tastes Awesome
  • Good For Stacking
  • Buy This Product!
    David3007
      June 19, 2013

So I just finished my 4th tub of this stuff and what can I say. The ratio on this is by far one of the best out there. Not only do the people at Nutrishop highly recommend it but the people at GNC do as well. That's probably one of the only things I can agree on from a person from GNC.

Price: GNC or Nutrishop I have found that they sell this from anywhere from $25 to $30 which is not a bad price for a how many servings you get in one tub.

Taste/mixability: I always get the grape flavor because I never seem to walk in at the right time so that is the only flavor that they have at the time. I would love to try the other flavors but that will be for another time. The mixing on this is not bad I never get chunks and it goes down easy.

Overall: I have to admit like everyone else on this website that USBlabs has nailed down a solid BCAA supplement and I will keep using this product unless someone comes out with a better one.

As always keep on lifting
     Pros:
     Cons:
    • Outstanding Mixability
    • Excellent Recovery
    • Need More Flavors!!!
    hock93
      March 17, 2013

Modern BCAA is the only BCAA product that I have used as an intra-workout at the moment, and I don't see myself changing to another anytime soon.

Profile (9/10): I like the 8:1:1 ratio of amino acids in this product. I also like the inclusion of glutamine and some electrolytes. This product also doesn't have a bunch of crap in it which I really like.

Taste/Mixability (7/10): I did enjoy the taste of this product (I use white blue raspberry). It was lightly sweet and not overbearing. It was refreshing to sip on while working out as well. The mixability of this product was pretty bad however. Two scoops in 24 oz of lukewarm water should dissolve no problem, but no matter how much I shaked, it takes a good 10 minutes for it to properly dissolve.

Effectiveness (9/10): When I first started using this product the first thing I noticed was the increased endurance and recovery it gave me. The number of reps I could do for a particular weight increased across the board versus what I could do without using this product. I was also able to move on to the next set much more quickly with rest time being greatly diminished.

Value (9/10): Each tub gives 35 two scoop servings for about $29 which isn't bad at all. Definitely one of the more affordable bcaa products out there.

Overall (9/10): Great recovery, great value, and a great taste, although it would be nice if it mixed a little better. I would recommend this product to anyone that needs a little extra endurance in the weight room, and I will continue to use it into the foreseeable future
     Pros:
     Cons:
    • Excellent Recovery
    sammyboss82
      December 18, 2012

Hey guys, i have used BCAA's for couple years now since training.

Reason:
    Wanted better recovery, less lactic acid build up, eliminate breakdown, electrolytes with 0sugar 0carb 0cal etc.

Background:
    Used Xtend, Amino Freak, Recoup. AminoX to try some of the BCAA's out there.

Mixability: 4/10
    I understand it has 8:1:1 so more Leucine and its fluffy naturally. This makes mixability terrible and leaves residue and frothy. White Blue Rasb was my flavour, I was told other flavours don't have these symptoms?

Taste: 8/10
    Taste was good, fresh. Nothing to complain about. Not overly sweet.

Modern BCAA was my first intra, and I thought it worked good at the time. Better recovery, trained harder for longer. After trying couple other BCAA's I noticed they were slightly better in effectiveness and what BCAA's tell us.

Would I use it again? Maybe, at the moment I am liking this other BCAA's which has worked fantastic for a while now and add 1/2 scoop vitargo (17.5g).
     Pros:
     Cons:
    • Less Soreness
    • Great Bcaa Ratio
    • Poor Mixing In Water
    • Tricky Mixing
    WalcottHope
      October 28, 2012

USP Labs is currently one of the most established and trendy supplement companies, as most people would say. It is one of my go-to supplement brands and I have tried many of their products.

I have used Modern BCAA many times since it was introduced. This is my favorite amino acid supplement and my favorite intra-workout product.

Taste/Mixability: 6/10
    The taste of Modern BCAA was about average. I have tried many amino supplements and many of them were better tasting than this. Aminos that are micronized and contain a high amount of leucine may sometimes be very bitter, which is the case with Modern BCAA. As far as mixability is concerned, it is still average at best. When I first started using MBCAA when it was first released, I made the mistake of mixing it cold water. This caused some of the aminos to remain unmixed, floating at the top. Soon after that, I released lukewarm water helped dissolve the amino particles slightly better. I have only tried the white blue raspberry flavor. It takes time getting used to the bitter flavor but it does not bother me now.

Ingredient Profile: 9/10
    This area, along with effectiveness, is the greatest positive of Modern BCAA. USP Labs kept their formula relatively simple but added Sustamine. Sustamine is described as being a glutamine dipeptide (L-alanyl-L-glutamine specifically ), which is supposedly a more stable form being more water soluble than regular L-glutamine. Pretty interesting addition using a non-traditional, advanced form of the popular recovery amino acid, glutamine. The 8:1:1 amino ratio is also a relatively new strategy in amino acid supplement formulation. I have tried both the new formula of MBCAA as well as the older formula. The newer formula doesn't seem to be much different with the addition of electrolytes.

Here is the best part of MBCAA- the EFFECTIVENESS. I won't rate any supplement higher than a 9 out of 10, so this is top notch for me. I usually only drink MBCAA during workouts but I sometimes would drink a half serving or so whenever needed throughout the day for additional recovery. The recovery with this is amazing. With the additon of the electrolytes it seems to help prolong workout endurance and hydration. Whether I drank MBCAA during heavy, low-rep workouts or low-intensity volume workouts, I never seemed to be very sore the following day.

I rated the value an 8 because I generally only use this during workouts. Since I only workout 3 days per week, MBCAA will last me almost 3 months. Most websites list this at about 26-29 dollars so this is a good deal in my opinion. Not an extremely innovative product, but it absolutely gets the job done.

I would put Modern BCAA at the very top of my usual supplement stack list. Whenever I run out, I always buy more. The taste is the downfall, if any. Price is run-of-the-mill to slightly above average. The quick recovery you can achieve with this is the highlight of the product. I don't feel much if any soreness after workouts. As many bodybuilders know, recovery is one of the keys to bodybuilding.
     Pros:
     Cons:
    • Excellent Recovery
    • Bitter Taste
    metalhead
      October 20, 2012

I have finished two tubs of this ("grape bubblegum" and "white blue raspberry" flavors)and thought it is time for another review to share my personal experience with this BCAA product.

Much has been said about Modern BCAA and I don't want to repeat what other have said, so I'll try to stick to the most important points.

Taste/Mixability: Both, bubblegum ans raspberry are only slightly sweet which is a plus in my book. However, in the medium term the bubblegum flavor got old for me, it literally started to taste like an "old" worn out bubblegum which became a bit annoying during workouts. The raspberry got a bit boring too, but not too much to complain about. I like that it is not overly sweet like some other products in this category. Yet, there are better tasting alternatives out there which is important if you want to use it on a daily basis. Unlike some others here, I didn't experience any mixability issues. Just use the recommended amount of water and let it sit in your bottle for a while and you'll be fine.

Ingredients/effects: Modern BCAA relies heavily on leucine which is fine. Just don't use it as a standalone amino acid product because other EAAs are needed for repair and growth, as well. But there seems to be something to the theory that leucine "triggers" muscle growth, so in conjunction with other amino acids and proper nutrition, MBCAA makes a difference when it comes to regeneration, muscle growth and fat loss. It won't transform you into a beast, of course but you'll feel the difference when you train without it. I cannot share the experience that it eliminates Doms but it certainly reduces them.

Why they added sustamine remains a mystery to me though. The state in their product ad, that they don't want to win the "glutamine product of the year award" with this so why include it then? Since the ingredients are hidden in a proprietary blend and the sustamine comes last, I suppose they have added it only for marketing purposes. Now the sustamine certainly doesn't hurt but you shouldn't rely on it alone if you want to add glutamine or sustamine to your supplement regimen. Maybe they could lower the price if they removed it altogether.

Another bonus is the "boosting" property of leucine which helps you through your grueling workouts, not like stims but with a more healthy feel.

Value: A little on the pricey side, but certainly worth its money because you get a high quality product.

Conclusion: If they improved the flavoring and left out (or at least disclosed the amount of)the sustamine this would be the perfect product for me. I will try the fruit punch flavor next because it is supposed to be better than the ones I have had.
     Pros:
     Cons:
    • Outstanding Mixability
    • Bad After Taste
    • Sustamine/glutamine Not Needed
    CamSTL
      September 17, 2012

Throughout the long list of USPLabs products I have taken, this was by far the most effective. And that is not a knock on any other supps they have produced as they have been effective for me, but this product is was simply great.

Value: 9 I'll start off with the bad, and this isn't even really bad. The only reason I didn't give it a 10 like others is because Modern BCAA price has gone up over the yrs. It was normally 24.99 and you may still be able to find it out there for that price, but on average I see it for 28-30 bucks a pop.

Effectiveness: 9.6
    Endurance, strength and recovery all increased on this. Because I had my diet dialed in during my football season and took a protein with adequate BCAA count I only took 1 full scoop during my workouts and 1-1/2 scoop during my games. I recall never fatiguing hard on this and maintaining my strength on while sipping on this during workout. Back when I took my favorite PWO of choice (which I won't name drop out of respect of this review), which gave me amazing focus, I felt like a beast on this.

During my Games: It was a hot and dry summer but I noticed when I took this I wasn't as tired and was ready to go prior to the next defensive series. I also never experienced that bloated feeling you can get from drinking too much water in that weather and simply sipping on this drink didn't cause me any heat problems or leave me lingering for more(water). I stayed hydrated and had all the benefits I said. Simply a Great product once again.

Overall: 9.8
    This product has been out for a while so there was no reason to go over the ingredient profile and Mixing stat. It has leucine in it so there will be flakes; its expected. This blew Sci-fits BCAA out of the water and I look forward to using this again during my workouts and Football Games. Another good job by USPLabs
     Pros:
     Cons:
    • Excellent Recovery
    • Good For Stacking
    • Great Bcaa Ratio
    • Mixing Ok
    RegohMerl
      September 16, 2012

It was a sad day when I finished my tub of Modern BCAA. This product seemed to deliver. Before trying this one, I had tried Xtend not too long ago, which worked pretty well for me. Lets just say, Hello Modern BCAA, good bye Xtend.

Taste: For my first try at this product, I decided to get White Blue Raspberry flavor. Now flavor isn't all too important to me and I wasn't a fan of it at first, but by the second or third time I had it, it actually started to taste pretty good to me. Somewhat of a refreshing taste.

Mixing: Mixing this product, like most BCAAs was ehhh...well, you get all the foamy stuff floating at the top. I noticed the trick for this was just to let it sit and settle, then give it a couple of more shakes. After I finished drinking all of it, I'd refill my shaker with water again to get the remaining bit that stayed on the side. A little annoying, but not a big deal.

Effectiveness: Now this is what's most important. I first took this product on Monday(my rest day), second time I took this was Tuesday(legs day.) Right off the bat, I noticed that I could do more. No longer was I dragging my body around the gym after 4 sets of squats and leg presses. I felt I had what it took to go ahead and do some sets of lying leg curls and leg extensions before finally feeling fatigue and continuing my session. This also pumped me up to where I was having better workouts. I'm no scientist, but I'm guessing they have their ingredient profile in check. My recovery was also better considering I was able to do more at the gym.

Value: You can get this for a pretty decent price for what its worth. Although a serving size is two huge scoops, it comes with 35 servings which should last you a month and some extra days.

Overall: I'm sure with all the other reviews, you don't need to take my word for it but I say GET IT!

Good taste along with better endurance and recovery is a yes from me.

Note: Other supplements I was taking at the time were Dymatize Elite Whey, MHP's Creatine, and White Flood pre-workout.

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Excellent Recovery
    • Mixing Ok
    • Makes Shaker Bottle Smell Weird

Copyright © 2016 SupplementReviews.com. All rights reserved. All trademarks are property of their respective owners.