Home > Categories > Amino Acids > BCAA/EAA > USP Labs > Modern BCAA > Reviews

Modern BCAA

By USPlabs
Modern BCAA USPlabs
9.1/10
(Weighted average based on 78 Reviews)

Ranks #1 of 96 (better than 100%)
in Amino Acids > BCAA/EAA

Manimal

Modern BCAA is versatile, cost-efficient, and very very effective

This product easily ranks as one of the most effective supplements I have taken to date.

I am somewhat new to the Intra/BCAA supplement category, but have experience with products such as Dymatize Recoup and Controlled Labs Purple Wraath. Out of the three I've tried, This one scores the highest in recovery and mixability. I really liked Recoup alot because of it's mixed B vitamins along with a full flavorful taste and good recovery. But I found that MBCAA has better recovery, without all the dyes and with a very tollerable taste. The taste is debatable and very hard to compare to anything else, as this is micronized and not like any other BCAA flavor/texture on the market. The taste is very light and smooth and the powder is so fine, it is almost like dust. You can tell as soon as you lift the container, that it is light as a feather. When I got my InnerCircle release order, I thought they sent me empty tubs at first. That's how light it is.

So with the IC release, I got a tub of each flavor (3) and also a tub of the new white blue raspberry Jack3d for 50 bucks with free shipping (This was a historic deal) and have so far gone through 1 and 3/4 tubs. It runs for about 30-35 dollars a tub, depending on where you buy from and 1 tub gets you 35 workouts/servings. I mixed 2 scoops with a half gallon of water and drank it throughout my workout, but this is can be used pre/intra/post workout or really any time of the day to keep up the intake of aminos. I recommend basing around the workouts though to get more value from it.

The grape-bubble gum is not as tasty as the GBG Jack3d, but It is not bad by any means. It got a little old for me about half way through the tub but that's no biggy. The unflavored is obviously designed to be taken with other supplements such as protein powders, pre workout supplements, or flavored sport beverages such as gatorade. I had the Drive to try it with just water alone and man, don't make this mistake lol. Just an experiment is all. The white blue raspberry seems to be the winner in taste. Very refreshing and pleasant to sip on or chug during a workout.

The recovery- Beyond satisfying. For those of you who go hard and heavy on leg day until you have to tip-toe to the parking lot after a gym session, this supplement will impress the hell out of you. Every leg session, it seems next to impossible to fatigue even when doing movements like stiff leg dead lifts, front squats, and drop sets of Hack squats. Safe to say, I may not go into another leg session without MBCAA for a long long time to come because I can simply lift more weight with shorter resting periods and continue to recover faster so I can get back in the gym faster.

The ingredients are unique and legitimate.
The 8-1-1 ratio of Leucine, Isoleucine, Valine works better than any other ratio I have tried. Sustamine (L-alanyl-L-glutamine) is also included in this product, which is a more stable and water-soluble form of L-Glutamine. USP Labs claims that the reason for using this form is because up to 65% of regular L-glutamine can be destroyed before it reaches the muscle.

Modern BCAA is versatile, cost-efficient, and very very effective! I highly recommend it fellas.

Pros:
Cons:
  • Greatly Reduces Doms
  • Versatile
  • My Best Friend On Leg Day
  • Outstanding Mixability
  • Excellent Recovery

taysab23

wow nice one manimal!

Great review.

IamAlex

Posted December 5, 2010
    So you'd give this one a nod over Purple Wraath?

Thank you guys.

@IamAlex- Yes sir. Altho i have only sampled wraath several times, i still feel that MBCAA takes the cake in terms of recovery.

Posted December 5, 2010
    Manimal scores again with a kick ass review!! cant wait to try this myself

Posted December 6, 2010
    hey manimal, i am taking after shock as a post and jack3d pre, do you think it is worth it to take this as an intra as well?

Posted December 6, 2010
    @ Kubitzky- Thanks man! I think you'll really dig it.

@ Rizkallah- I don't take it all the time on smaller muscles when using Jack3d and a good post workout shake, but You can bet that i always take this on leg day, regardless if i'm taking a pre/post supplement. When i'm cycling off stims/pre workout supps, I take MBCAA every single workout. When i am taking pre/post, i take it on leg day and back day (bigger muscle groups), and maybe on days where i am doing some Drop sets, or FST-7 on smaller groups. Sorry if that was a little confusing.

Blade410

Solid review broski

Meuth

Posted December 6, 2010
    Good review! Almost exactly how I'm using it too! Only difference is that I'll take some before bed on days that I hit it really hard! Excellent work as always Manimal!

ruabeyo
    (-110)

Posted December 6, 2010
    This is the Manimal at his best!!

Very Nice!!

Posted December 6, 2010
    Great review man. It was my best friend on leg day too

Posted December 7, 2010
    Hey, thanks again broskis!

Posted December 7, 2010
    Hey manimal, awesome review. I was considering taking MBCAA with USP's Asteroid stack, would you take the it the same way as normal? Or would you change the time of taking it?

Posted December 7, 2010
    Thank ya. MBCAA is to be taken the same way bro.

Posted December 7, 2010
    Great review manimal , you have me convinced tha I need to try this!

Posted December 7, 2010
    Stuff is great man, I've been trying out Xtend right now and it's a good one too.

Posted December 7, 2010
    Xtend works great but after reading your review and replies from the members I purchased MBCAA. Thanx guyz!

Posted December 8, 2010
    I'm gonna ask you sense you got a good rep, just started taking supplements just got a tub of this what can I really expect from this product? I have always ate high protein diets only been training a year,?

Posted December 8, 2010
    BCAAs are not necessary but I think they definitely make a difference when training, specially when you're at a caloric deficit.

You can expect a bit more endurance and reduced fatigue while training, allowing you to train a little harder. Can help speed up the recovery process if you aren't eating enough.

I also like taking this with my daily water intake. Add a few scoops to your jug and you have good tasting water all day with aminos. The new version of this has electrolytes and the fruit punch is phenomenal.

Posted December 8, 2010
    Thanks for the info I got the icy blue razz pretty good tasting with electros,

Posted December 8, 2010
    Yeah man, I tried alot of the others like Xtend and Recoup and i keep coming back to this one. 8-1-1 ratio seems to work much better, for me at least.

Posted December 8, 2010
    Awesome review! Best BCAA ever. . . I mixed mBCAA with glycomaize and ON CGT-10 and it works miracles!

Great review.
    I've always takin my MBCAA in my water bottle/jug while I workout. Should I take before or after. My post shake I usually ON pro complex which has some BCAAs in it also

Posted December 9, 2010
    Great review really want to pick up a tub of this now

Posted December 9, 2010
    Very good review. Went to GNC and bought this today!!

Posted December 9, 2010
    I assure you will enjoy it.

CamSTL

Endurance, strength and recovery all increased on this

Throughout the long list of USPLabs products I have taken, this was by far the most effective. And that is not a knock on any other supps they have produced as they have been effective for me, but this product is was simply great.

Value: 9 I'll start off with the bad, and this isn't even...

Value: 9 I'll start off with the bad, and this isn't even really bad. The only reason I didn't give it a 10 like others is because Modern BCAA price has gone up over the yrs. It was normally 24.99 and you may still be able to find it out there for that price, but on average I see it for 28-30 bucks a pop.

Effectiveness: 9.6
    Endurance, strength and recovery all increased on this. Because I had my diet dialed in during my football season and took a protein with adequate BCAA count I only took 1 full scoop during my workouts and 1-1/2 scoop during my games. I recall never fatiguing hard on this and maintaining my strength on while sipping on this during workout. Back when I took my favorite PWO of choice (which I won't name drop out of respect of this review), which gave me amazing focus, I felt like a beast on this.

During my Games: It was a hot and dry summer but I noticed when I took this I wasn't as tired and was ready to go prior to the next defensive series. I also never experienced that bloated feeling you can get from drinking too much water in that weather and simply sipping on this drink didn't cause me any heat problems or leave me lingering for more(water). I stayed hydrated and had all the benefits I said. Simply a Great product once again.

Overall: 9.8
    This product has been out for a while so there was no reason to go over the ingredient profile and Mixing stat. It has leucine in it so there will be flakes; its expected. This blew Sci-fits BCAA out of the water and I look forward to using this again during my workouts and Football Games. Another good job by USPLabs

Pros:
    Cons:
    • Excellent Recovery
    • Good For Stacking
    • Great Bcaa Ratio
    • Mixing Ok

Clipper83

Posted September 17, 2012
    Didn't tag this as an ER Cam?

CamSTL

Posted September 17, 2012
    Yeah thats my bad. My 1st review since being in the ERP I must have overlooked it

hulkish1

Posted September 17, 2012
    i guess cam is no longer an expert???? mark your stuff expert brother.

Cray

It gives you exactly what's been promised

My first experience with an intra-workout supplement came in the form of Purple Wraath. I was as excited as everyone else when USP Labs announced their new Modern BCAA product, and I was even more eager when I found out about the "˜members only' launch that got me 3 tubs of Modern BCAA (plus a tub of Jack3d) for only $50. Of course I immediately Cracked open the tub of White Blue Raspberry and set aside my half-finished tub of Wraath upon receiving the shipment.

TASTE & MIXABLITY: 9/10
    The WBR flavor of Modern BCAA is exactly what one would hope for in a blue raspberry flavored product. It has been my experience that blue raspberry flavored products are a bit of a gamble and usually are either extremely tasty or absolutely horrendous. Luckily the WBR Modern BCAA is crisp and clean, with a nice tart flavor and a smooth finish. There's no strange aftertaste, nor does the product have that off-putting medicinal flavor of other intra-workouts (referring to Purple Wraath). I have not yet tried the other two flavors that were included in the shipment (Grape and Unflavored).

My preferred method of dosing Modern BCAA was two scoops poured directly into a "˜sports top' bottle of water (I used a funnel to get the powder into the bottle). After a vigorous thirty seconds of shaking, nearly all of the powder had dissolved quite nicely, and I did not experience any powdery residue at the bottom of the bottle. I know a few users complained about the frothy build-up of the product, which I found did happen when I used cold bottles of water. Even so, the L-Leucine build-up didn't bother me at all and was almost completely avoided so long as I used warm water.

EFFECTIVENESS: 9/10
    The ingredient profile for Modern BCAA is about as plain and clean as you get in this sort of product. There are no added fillers or buffers, no artificial colors or flavors which I greatly prefer. I found Modern BCAA's to provide solid energy, especially during cardio sessions. I do feel that this product helped improve the overall quality of my workouts by keeping me hydrated and helping fight intra-workout fatigue.

I liked the effects of Modern BCAA's so much that I often added a few scoops to my water bottle and drank it over the course of the day to sustain my energy levels and keep me in a positive state of mind.

VALUE: 7/10
    Obviously if you were in on the private release of this product, the value was astonishing. Three 35 serving tubs for $50? Now that is an incredible deal. Right now this product is retailing for $28.99 on BB.com, which equates to a per-serving cost of $0.82. Conversely, a 45 serving tub of Purple Wraath will cost you $0.75 per-serving, while 30 servings of Xtend costs a meager $0.65 per-serving. As you can see, Modern BCAA is a bit more expensive than some of its competitors. While you are getting a higher dosage of a proprietary blend of BCAAs through Modern BCAA (10 grams per serving) than through Xtend (~9.5 grams) or Purple Wraath (~7 grams), you're also missing out on some of the ancillary benefits offered by the two aforementioned competitors, such as Beta Alanine, Citrulline Malate, etc.

OVERALL: 8/10
    There's not a whole lot else you could expect from such a product. It gives you exactly what's been promised – a high clean dose of BCAA's, nothing else. I personally love this product and feel that with a slightly more competitive price point, it could gain a very strong foothold in the world of intra-workout supplements. Once again, USP Labs delivers a promising product that illustrates the company's commitment to both its customers and the world of personal fitness.

Pros:
    Cons:
    • Excellent Recovery

Posted October 11, 2010
      Another great review cray.

Thanks bro!

Posted October 11, 2010
      Great review Cray, I'm going to have to try this soon. Which flavor would you say is the best?

Posted October 11, 2010
      I've only tried the WBR and I certainly recommend it. I would say either that or the Grape.

Nice review woman.

Posted October 12, 2010
      haha. thanks siski! ...does that work?

For real though, I said I was buying you a woman's "splash" tee shirt if I won the $20 BB gift card off the facebook raffle. If I win, I am assuming you want the 'aqua blue' color in a size S?

Posted October 12, 2010
      Yea i saw that ***. You've yet to accept my friend request. lol

dammit

Posted October 12, 2010
      Great write up Cray. I agree that Blue Rasp is very good. Mixability is so so in cold water but even un-mixed, it still tastes great. I'll be submitting my review soon enough.

Posted October 12, 2010
      Ah geez, called me out. Guess I have to accept (I didn't even realize that was you).

birdman2211

Just finished up my first tub of modern BCAA and lets just say I was very impressed. It will now replace my long time favorites Xtend and Purple Wraath. If you look at the ingredient profile its just pretty much BCAA's and nothing else. It doesn't contain all those unnecessary fillers or artificial colors or flavors which is a huge plus!

-Effectiveness 10/10: It does what its suppose to, helps build lean muscle and assist in muscle recovery. It also helps keep your body anabolic while you lift and/or when doing your cardio sessions.

-Taste 10/10: I tired the white blue raspberry flavor and absolutely loved it. It doesn't taste fake or over powering like alot of supplements do. Very refreshing in my opinion.

-Mixability 10/10: If a BCAA drink contains leucine there will always be little flakes floating around due to the fact leucine is not water soluable so you can't knock a product for that. Everything else mixes perfect, no clumps or anything.

-Value 9/10: The price is very reasonable at about 65-70 cents a serving which is about the same as ever so popular Xtend.

USP Labs continues to impress me with their high quality products. Modern BCAA is a great inta-workout or anytime you need BCAA's though out the day. Props to USP Labs on this one!

Pros:
      Cons:
      • Tastes Awesome
      • Excellent Recovery

Posted October 23, 2010
        Birdman, you're looking jacked my friend!

Posted October 23, 2010
        Bout time you jump back around with another review bird brotha!

@ 22inch thanks bro!
        @ manimal Lol

Posted October 23, 2010
        bird, if you consume a quality whey pre and post workout do you still think you need to take BCAA's? Most whey's are loaded with them.

@joeoftwins

If your taking whey pre and post then I would say no. You can certainly sip on modern bcaa while doing cardio or anytime through out the day.

petey7408

It has an excellent formula and has a noticeable effect in recovery

In a category of products gaining more and more usage with expanding research, USP Labs has come up with their own version of a intra-workout BCAA product.

Effectiveness:...

Effectiveness: 9.5/10
        A BCAA product is hard to evaluate as you aren't going to notice drastic results, especially if you have been using BCAA's previously. However with this product there was a noticeable difference in intra-workout recovery and a reduction of the 'second-day soreness'.

Ingredient Profile: 9.4/10
        Very interesting philosophy from USP, going with them placing the main emphasis on mTor, and it certainly shows with the 8:1:1 ratio of leucine-isoleucine-valine. This idea really didn't surprise me since they are a company known for utilizing newer ideas and once again, the gamble paid off here. I also like the idea of not just creating another ho-hum glutamine product, as it really isn't necessary because I supplement my glutamine separately. Another major plus is that there isn't any dyes in their product, which means more BCAA's and less filler, not to mention the questionable safety that certain dyes have.

Taste: 8.8/10
        The taste came in pretty good, actually. Don't let my rating of an 8.8 fool you. BCAA's are a hard product to flavor correctly due to their natural tendency to be a little bitter, but USP did a good job here. I prefer more water when I mix mine so that way it will last longer during my workout, so the flavor is a little diluted, but still good. If you desire a stronger flavor, use less water.

Mixability: 9.8/10
        USP made a selling point of how this product mixes, and they stay true to their label. I really like how the powder was micronized, and it mixes easily without clumping or foaming. The product stays mixed for the duration of your workout so there's no need to re-shake which is nice.

Overall: 9.6/10
        I was really pleased with Modern BCAA's. It has an excellent formula and has a noticeable effect in recovery, which is especially impressive since I've been supplementing with BCAA's intra-workout for quite some time. If you are looking to try an intra-workout product for the first time, this is a good place to start. The price is right in line with other brands of BCAA's, giving you 35 servings for about $30.

Pros:
        Cons:
        • Outstanding Mixability
        • Excellent Recovery

Posted October 4, 2010
          Solid bro. My review for this will be coming along soon, as well.

CamelE

Posted October 4, 2010
          Couldn't agree more--great review!

workoutguru

Posted October 4, 2010
          Really good review petey. Thanks for posting. I need to get some of this stuff and try it.

ruabeyo
          (-110)

Posted October 4, 2010
          Leg days are the hardest for me. I work 'em Tuesay, Wednesday I'm walking a little funny and Thursday is when I'm in lactic acid hell.

I'm using BCAA-lyn now(which has been great since I started) but I'm always looking for a better product. This review makes it sound like it is... nice job.

Posted October 4, 2010
          I hear you on the leg day soreness bro. I work them Monday and I'm feeling them for a few days. No product is going to get rid of it completely, but this certainly helps.

Blade410

This review is......
          MONEY!!!!!!

As always

fmrPRO

Posted October 5, 2010
          Excellent review! my only question, is how do you mix yours? cause it takes me a good 30 minutes to dissolve everything completely and i dont even mix it as strong as i should (2 scoops in 30 oz water)
          Once again, great review! and thank you

Posted October 5, 2010
          I put 2 scoops in my jug (its a 64 oz jug) and add 32 oz of water, then shake it for 10 seconds. Mixes right up for me.

Posted October 5, 2010
          Thorough review man. Got mine on order.

Go Big Red!

kingmeat

Yes third review of the week for me most i've put up in a week i think, anyway this is a great product here's why.

This is the first intra workout supplement i have used and i believe that this is more effective then most pre...

pre workouts that are loaded with caffeine and 1,3 dimeth. I basically use this as a pre workout/intra workout as i drink a little prior to lifting then all the way till the end of my workout to stay anabolic.

Taste: Grape bubblegum was alright but i think i liked the taste of white rasberry more. I do not advise getting the unflavored version at first i drank it by itself like an idiot bad decision but bared with it. I am going to try mixing it with orange Pure Karbolyn next to see if it can mask the horrible taste because crystal light pure fitness isn't doing it for me. It really doesn't matter anyway as taste is the last thing i care about how it works for me.

Value: i got all three during the inner circle deal which made it very cheap for all three and i believe this product is valuable as it keeps the body anabolic when you are tearing muscle fibers and some people and research shows intra workout supplementation might be crucial for strength and gains.

Effectiveness: I like to have this for my deadlift and squat days as those are the major excersises that cause me to exert the most energy and tear more muscle fibers. It's not E-BOL like in recovery but it makes a difference as i forgot to take it yesterday for my deadlifts and my back was shot today. Just make sure to sip and not chug so it will last the entire workout.

Other thoughts: Since this is the first BCAA product it's my favorite thus far but i would like to try Xtend because everyone raves about it. The 8:1:1 ratio is going to keep me coming back to MBCAA though. If you really care about taste more than effectiveness this might not be for you but it does wonders for recovery and helping to stay anabolic during your workouts. Forgot to mention i didn't like how it foamed up no matter what i did and when i got to the end it was mostly foam which was hard to get down.

Final thought: Great BCAA intra workout can't wait to pair this with Pure Karbolyn for rapid recovery.

Hope this was helpful and any questions PM me always willing to help.

Pros:
          Cons:
          • Excellent Recovery
          • Poor Mixing In Water
          • Bad After Taste
          • Makes Shaker Bottle Smell Weird

Posted June 16, 2011
          great review. i cant wait to try it

Posted June 16, 2011
          thanks rico! its definitely worth it.

MCSyd

Great review, bro.
          I'm currently working through 2 tubs right now - love 'em.

The other things I found really nice is that there are no artificial flavors or colors added, so it's 100% pure. For some people, this can be a big deal...

blizzard

Posted June 16, 2011
          Dang it! Just when I was gonna try to drop my intra, you pulled me back in! :)

Nice review kingmeat.

I think the foam just goes with the territory for BCAA/intras unfortunately!

IRISH89

Posted June 16, 2011
          Great review bro, has to be between this & xtend for me.

Posted June 17, 2011
          @McSyd- thanks man i have to order more of this stuff when the unflavored runs out. Definitely like it's pureness though it's a great product.

@blizzard- haha personally i wouldn't drop it, i think it's better after a while of cycling off stims you'll realize that you don't need caffeine to get through your workouts and what's more beneficial then bcaa's. I hate foam but what can ya do? haha

Irish- I gotta try xtend next maybe i'll get both and switch on and off.

I'd recommend this only if your looking for added recovery

This is a product that I actually thought that I've already reviewed but it seems that I haven't so here it is.

USP Labs Modern BCAA "Incredibly Refreshing"

USP Labs Modern BCAA "Incredibly Refreshing"
          -First off, I purchased this product on recommendation of many SupplementReview members. On to the actual review.

-Taste-(9/10): None of us buy supplements for the taste but I have to admit the White Blue Rasperry tasted pretty good. The only intra I have to compare to is Purple Wraath and it beats that in taste. Only downside is that it had a wierd after taste and smell.

-Endurance-(6/10): I now know that ModernBCAA isn't actually for endurance but more for recovery. I really don't understand why these Intra BCAA products don't just include some EAA's, it'd improve the product by 100%. I'm a huge fan of EAA's and don't understand why most companies don't include them in their Intra Supplements. This product isn't near as great as Purple Wraath was when it comes to endurance.

-Recovery-(10/10): This is where Modern BCAA really stood out to me. The recovery with this was second to none. I'd still get sore after a heavy leg day but it wasn't near as bad as without Modern BCAA. Usually I'd be sore for many days after wards but this cut it down to 1-2 days.

-Ingredient Profile-(8/10): Modern BCAA has a pretty impressive and new ingredient profile. It's the first BCAA supplement I've ever seen that has a 8:1:1 Ration and used mTOR pathway. I like the inclusion of sustamine, I feel it's far superior to normal L-Glutamine. The one thing I HATE about Modern BCAA as well as most products on the market today is the proprietary blend. I mean sure, Modern BCAA has very few ingredients but all of them are in a proprietary blend of 10 grams. I just wish I knew how much of each ingredient I was getting so I'd know if I needed one serving, one and a half servings, or two servings. I'd throw 2 servings in my water bottle and start sipping 20 minutes pre-workout and finish post-workout. I'm not a big fan of drinking a lot during my workout.

Would I Buy Modern BCAA Again?
          More then likely NO! Just because it doesn't have the EAA's that I'm a big fan of. I feel Purple Wraath and Animal Nitro are both superior to Modern BCAA just because they both have all the EAA's. There's a small possibility that I'd buy Modern BCAA and stack it with either Purple Wraath or Animal Nitro just for the extra BCAA's if I had some extra cash on me. This would be a staple of mine if they'd include some EAA's and some Beta Alanine/Citruline Malate.

Key Pros of Modern BCAA:
          *Great Price (AllStarHealth.com)
          *Great Taste (Blue White Rasperry)
          *Recovery is second to none.
          *Uses mTOR pathway.
          *Great new 8:1:1 BCAA Ratio.
          *Sustamine over basic L-Glutamine.
          *Mixing is out-standing.
          *Minimal ingredients.
          *No dyes or fillers.
          Key Cons:
          *Wierd after-taste.
          *Doesn't include the other EAA's.
          *Proprietary blend.
          *Isn't as good as Animal Nitro or Purple Wraath.

*Overall*
          I'd recommend this only if your looking for added recovery. Not great for endurance like Nitro or Wraath.

Peace, Kubz

Pros:
          Cons:
          • Outstanding Mixability
          • Excellent Recovery

jmlstocks

Posted July 26, 2011
            Excellent review Kub, keep em coming

adam777

Posted July 26, 2011
            I like the key pros/cons section. Nice.

Posted July 26, 2011
            Solid review. Interesting that you found the taste of MBCAA to be better than Purple Wraath. I ran a tub of MBCAA and had a sample pouch of PW and I thought PW blew MBCAA out of the water in terms of taste. Could be because you were mixing two servings of MBCAA. I always thought one serving was way too watered down in 16-20 oz.

Posted July 26, 2011
            good review! after reading yours, i would probably re-rate my review on it to 8's as well.

Thanks guys!
            @MassiveBeast: I Used 24 oz. for 4 scoops (2 servings and the taste was refreshing.)

@Venom- I know bro, there are several reviews I'd edit after trying out a different product in the same category.

Posted July 27, 2011
            Good review sir as usual

Awesome review man!

Posted July 27, 2011
            awesome review as always bro!

Jpotter21

So I know its not some crazy new product

For the longest time I was not a huge fan of BCAA mixes only because I've never really noticed much of a huge difference when using them. Well I can honestly say, USP Labs has nailed a solid BCAA mix with a great profile and it certainly works.

Ingredients/Profile- 9/10- So I really dig...

Ingredients/Profile- 9/10- So I really dig Modern BCAA's ingredient profile. They use a 8:1:1 ratio and include glutamine along with an electrolyte blend. You get 10g of Amino's per scoop with the added leucine and glutamine which are two of my favorite ingredients in any intra workout/post workout shake. Now what I really love about Modern BCAA is when you go down to the additional ingredients you don't see 10+ fillers and other garbage companies throw in their intra's. What you see is 3 lowly ingredients. Citric Acid, Natural Flavors, and Sucralose. Its a pretty raw blend and not highly processed. You can tell too when drinking it because you don't have an overbearingly sweet taste. Some intra's I have used are extremely sweet, to the point where I don't like taking them. This wasn't the case with Modern BCAA but I'll get more into the taste in the next category.

Taste/Mixability- 8/10- So you certainly get the classic BCAA and leucine taste but its something I can live with. I had the fruit punch flavor and it was not bad at all. I usually sip on my BCAA's throughout the day so I'm constantly getting a steady stream of aminos and it was nice and refreshing. It was also nice because my water didn't change colors and I didn't have 50 billion people asking if I was drinking windshield washer fluid. The mixability was no better or worse for me than other intras. You really can't rate something like BCAA blends low because of mixability. Anything with leucine mixes rough. With that being said it only took a few minutes of shaking and by the time I was at work or the gym everything was gone. So overall taste and mixability were pretty solid.

Dosing-9/10- I love the dosing on Modern BCAA. First off its just two scoops before a workout. Which gives you a total of 35 workouts. Which is 7 weeks if your on a 5 day split. Its as simple as that. Two scoops and your good to go. No certain amount of scoops if over this weight, or if your doing this type of program. You just lock and load which makes it so much easier. I'll echo another reviewer and say I wish all supplements could be this easy.

Effectiveness- 9/10- So I feel the effectiveness of Modern BCAA was really more than what I expected. I have tried BCAA supplements before and never really gotten much benefit out of them, but I had a different experience with MBCAA. I felt less DOMS the next day, and felt better overall endurance during my workouts. I had practically cut out whey protein too, and had already been taking huma pro, so I was able to gauge MBCAA's effectiveness pretty easily. I certainly felt less fatigued while working out and much better hydrated. No dry mouth or anything like that. The biggest plus for me was reduction in DOMS and sometimes even no soreness the next day. Even on leg days after heavy squats which is a huge plus.

Value- 9/10- I think this may be one of the better priced Amino products on the market. With a true 35 servings/workouts you get 7 weeks. Which is great. Like I said no tricky dosing just the two scoops. The price is about 24/25 bucks a pop which I feel is incredible compared to other bcaa products. Your looking at .71 cents a serving which is a pretty solid deal. And again one that is going to be pretty tough to beat on the Amino market.

Overall-9/10- So I know its not some crazy new product, but I feel MBCAA needs a solid review. I really enjoyed using it and have more already in route. I liked the flavor and the simple and effective ingredient profile. I feel for the price its offered at and how well it worked MBCAA should be a staple in every lifters gym bag. Certainly a solid product by the boy over at USP labs. Have a good one guys.

Pros:
            Cons:
            • Excellent Recovery

Posted August 10, 2012
              Still using this product! Right now, specially, since i'm at a major caloric deficit and daily cardio puts a beating on my legs. This stuff is making a difference for me right now more than ever.

Posted August 10, 2012
              And nice review, as always homie.

Jpotter21

Posted August 10, 2012
              Thanks man. And I can relate, I've been a pretty hefty caloric deficit as well and this was making or breaking most of my recovery. Good stuff for sure.

Posted August 10, 2012
              Great review mane! Really found this helpful as I was looking into buying this.

Posted August 10, 2012
              Great review! When I used this product, I had a difficult time mixing it. The first time, I used cold water and it hardly mixed. It looked like a bunch of styrofoam was floating on the top. It tasted like dook, too. Then I started mixing it in warm water and refrigerating it before my workouts. It worked much better that way.

iSamurai

Posted August 11, 2012
              Nice review bro...MBCAA is hands down my favorite intra, never fails.

line6reed

Posted August 11, 2012
              i just got this stuff along with the jack micro it was free im currently using purple wrath hopes this is as good i plan on using purple wraath during workouts and this after

venom434

really good quality in terms of ingredients and recovery effectiveness

i have some experience with a few other BCAA/Amino supplements. including - ON Amino Energy, SciVation Xtend, VPX Power Shock and Dymatize Recoup.

ingredient profile (per serving/2 scoops): 10g, high dose of ingredients which i like. it has 8:1:1 ratio of Leucine, Isoleucine, Valine, L-Alanyl-LGlutamine (Sustamine). Sustamine is a glutamine dipeptide that is supposed more stable in water and increase the amount of glutamine to reach the bloodstream and into skeletal muscle as compared to regular free glutamine.

Taste: i had the "grape bubblegum" flavor, to me it didn't taste anything like grape or bubblegum. not really sure how do describe the taste; don't get me wrong it wasn't that bad tasting, it was bland which isn't a bad thing, i would rather have my supplement be bland rather than really strong tasting; also it had a strange after taste that would linger in my mouth/bottle for a little while.

Mixability: this was the only issue i had with it other than the taste. i like to have my drinks really cold while working-out, the problem with this particular product is that if the water was too cold it would foam up with product floating around that wouldn't be too pleasant tasting. so usually to get around this issue i would just mix a serving an hour ahead of time before i went to the gym, after letting it sit this amount of time the product dissolved good and clear.

Effectiveness: this is where the product really shined, mainly in the "recovery" aspect. mixed one serving with 24oz of water i would sip on this during my workout, it was very effective in decreasing muscle soreness/DOMS; only a few times did i still receive muscle soreness. as far as endurance is concerned it was okay in this department, nothing crazy, it seemed to delay fatigue somewhat in-between sets. i also took this on rest days, so i think this is what also helped with decreasing the muscle soreness from lifting; having a constant flow of aminos daily to prepare myself for the next lifting day.

Value: AllStarHealth.com is where i get most of my supplements from, they have 35 servings for $23.69. i think this is a fair price given the effectiveness in recovery and high quality of the product. if you use this daily you'll get a little over a months worth of use out of this or 35 workouts. if you're using this on just workout days then i guess the value could vary depending on how often you workout.

Overall: really good quality in terms of ingredients and recovery effectiveness. although i rated this 9's across the board and being a big USP Labs fan, i honestly would have to rank this a close 3rd behind Dytamize Recoup; with Optimum Nutrition Amino Energy still being my #1 favorite amino supplement. i would definitely still recommend this to anybody looking for good recovery/value.

Pros:
              Cons:
              • Excellent Recovery
              • No Additives
              • Great Bcaa Ratio
              • Good For Stacking
              • Less Soreness
              • Makes Shaker Bottle Smell Weird
              • Bad After Taste
              • Tricky Mixing

Posted April 9, 2011
              A lot of studies are saying a high dose of leucine in the 10g+ range post workout helps to increase the absorption of PWO supps like creatine, glutamine, protein etc...Did you try a full dose after working out? I took this before but never tried that.

Posted April 9, 2011
              No I didn't try that, I only used it intra workout. Interesting info, might have to try that next time.

I had a good overall experience with this product

Background:
              Background:
              I finished up a tub of USP Labs Modern BCAA about 2 weeks ago to judge effects. I also used another tub about a year ago when deciding to try something new after taking Xtend. I am a firm believer in BCAA/L-Glutamine intra-workout and recovery products like this one. This is one of seven BCAA product I have used thus far, so I am no stranger to them by no means. So in this review I will be comparing my results with this product to the following ones I have used full tubs of in the past:

Scivation Xtend(new&old formula)
              GAT Muscle Martini
              Axis Labs N'Gage
              Controlled Labs Purple Wraath
              MRM BCAA+G
              ALRI Chain'd Out
              Scifit BCAA-Lyn 1500 Powder

---Ingredient Profile(9.5/10)----------------

Serving Size 2 Scoops (12.88g)
              Servings Per Container: 35

Sodium 120mg
              Potassium 120mg

Proprietary Blend 10gm
              Micronized L-Leucine, Micronized L-Isoleucine, Micronized L-Alanyl-L-Glutamine(Sustamine TM)

Electrolyte Blend 662mg
              Sodium Citrate, Potassium Chloride

Other Ingredients:
              Citric Acid, Natural Flavors, Sucralose

In a market with every company offering their own typical run of the mill BCAA+Glutamine product, USP labs has truly come up with something unique here. First I'll state I love the fact of almost no artificial flavoring and this stuff also does really mix clear, meaning you aren't drinking a poo ton of artificial coloring either/ They included electrolytes to help with hydration during workouts on top of your BCAA's and Glutamine which help delay muscle fatigue, reduce recovery time between sets, increase protein synthesis, and several other things.(If you don't know the benefits of supplementing with BCAA's, Glutamine, or amino acids for that matter go look it up!) Also, USP Labs uses Sustamine, which is a Dipeptide consisting of the amino acids L-Glutamine and L-Alanine. The science behind this is that when these two amino acids are bonded together, the Dipeptide they produce can directly enter into the intestinal cells offering better absorption and utility as compared to regular L-Glutamine. On top of that, instead of the typical 2:1:1 ratio of Branch Chain Amino Acids, MBCAA gives a ratio of 8:1:1., meaning there is a higher concentration of L-Leucine in the amounts of BCAA's used as compared to other products. Though each individual amount of Glutamine and the BCAA's are not listed which is why I knocked down the score a bit here in this category.
              ---Dosing(10/10)-----------------------------
              Not much to state here. I used 2 scoops mixed with water and sipped it during my workouts. On off days I drank 2 scoops mixed with water during breakfast. Simple and effective.

---Effectiveness(8.5/10)---------------------
              Short and sweet here. This product DEFINITELY helped with muscle recovery and fatigue. I noticed shorter recovery times in between sets and I also wasn't nearly as sore as I usually am the following day of busting my ass in the gym. Which was great, considering I include supersets and dropsets in each particular muscle group workout Very comparable to my experiences with N'gage and Purple Wraath which have been my favorite intra's thus far. I also noticed I was better hydrated during my workouts and wasn't having to drink as much water as I typically do, something I have yet to experience with similar products.

---Overall Taste(3.5/10)---------------------
              I have used the Grape Bubblegum and White Blue Raspberry. Usually I don't care too much about taste as long as the product works. Luckily this product did work, but the taste sucked to say the least.

---Grape(5/10)-------------------
              Taste like grape kool-aid without any sugar or sweetners in it. Wasn't absolutely horrible, definitely wasn't great either Still was somewhat drinkable to say the least.

----Raspberry(2/10)--------------
              This tasted nothing like the raspberry Jack3d like I was hoping for. Didn't even taste anything like what I call Blue Raspberry, just tasted like chemicals to me. At the end of the day I was still able to get the stuff down the hatch, barely.

---Mixability(7/10)--------------------------
              This product didn't mix as well as I was hoping for. This one is very prone to clumping and taking forever to dissolve quickly in cold water. This problem is stated on the bottle but life does happen. Kinda sucks if you are in a rush while preparing this and end up having to drink little clumps of powder during your workouts. I also hated the fact that I had to shake the powder up in my bottle for several minutes and still then it took forever to dissolve it seemed. Even in warm water I still had the same problem. Though the problem with mixing was a annoyance, it was not that big of a deal. It still didn't sway me from using this product.

---Value(8.5/10)-----------------------------
              Here is where I am a little divided about this product. I got my last tub from my local Vitamin Shoppe for about 32$, which is pretty much the same across the board no matter where you get it from. Using 1 serving a day, this lasted 35 days. Meaning that the price per day was just under a dollar per day, which isn't bad at all. I did have an overall good experience with this one but I just can't find the price justifiable. Yeah the formula is unique, but it isn't groundbreaking to say the least.

---Overall(8/10)-----------------------------
              As previously mentioned, I had a good overall experience with this product. The recovery wasn't the best, but it was still very good considering, especially with the hydration factor. I just feel I was paying too much extra because of the profile and for the fact that USP Labs make this. If they made a huge tub of the unflavored version for a decent price, I would be all over it though. Also they need more flavors, something like apple or watermelon would be nice! However, if you are interested in Intra-workout's I would still highly recommend giving this a go.

Pros:
              Cons:
              • Good Recovery
              • Helps With Hyrdation
              • Less Soreness
              • Great Bcaa Ratio
              • Need More Flavors!!!
              • Goes Quick If Using Two Servings
              • Horrific Taste
              • Poor Mixing In Water
              • Tricky Mixing

Posted March 8, 2012
              Sorry about the slight punctuation errors. I edited this on the site and missed a few things.

Posted March 8, 2012
              Great review.... as always. Thanks A&O!
              John