Animal Pump Reviews

By: Universal

Overall Score   How is this Calculated?

Ranks #62 of 221 (better than 72%) in

Animal Pump is a Pre-Workout manufactured by Universal. It is designed to help provide a pre-training advantage by increasing mental focus, muscle performance, endurance and blood flow. This creates an environment optimal for increasing muscle mass and losing body fat.
INGREDIENTS (34)
THIS PRODUCT
(Amount not disclosed)
CATEGORY AVG
1083mg

Novel form of creatine bonded to magnesium to improve bioavailability and ease digestion leading to greater efficacy than creatine monohydrate.

THIS PRODUCT
(Amount not disclosed)
CATEGORY AVG
1011mg

A combination of arginine and alpha-ketoglutarate that boosts Nitric Oxide (NO) levels in the body while helping remove excess metabolic waste allowing you to workout longer and have better pumps.

COMPARE SIMILAR

Isuma
  November 23, 2015

----Introduction----

Hey guys, so another animal review here! So I wake up at 5am every weekday and hit the gym at 6. Unfortunately my sleeping habits are not the best so I'm only averaging about six hours every night. Thus when I wake in the morning my motivation is less than stellar. In the past I have relied on good old black coffee to get me going but even at battery acid levels it just wasn't quite a enough to push me past the "I'm awake" and into the "lets do this!!!". I have run Animal Pump before at the same time I was running Animal Stak. This combo gave me an abundance of energy and I was more than ready to go lift the iron and sweat my own weight. This time I decided to give it a go by itself so I ran a can this past cycle and thought I'd do up a review. For those who haven't read any of my other reviews or posts I'm a crossfit kind of guy. I attend the gym five times a week and work out for an hour each time. My big lifts for strength are; Bench Press, Dead lift and Back Squat. Every Monday, Wed and Friday we do conditioning, which is basically moving weights fast. More details on that in a forum post later.

Currently have this stacked with Arnold Iron Pak and Optimum Hydro Whey

----Ingredient Profile----

So we got five different categories in this can; Foundational Creatine Matrix, NO Blast Complex, Energy Rush Complex, Antioxidant Complex and the Pump Transportation Complex. That's a lot of Complex's and Matrix for one can and while each one shows the dosage for the whole complex it doesn't give the dosage of each individual ingredient making it, like every other Animal Supp, difficult to decide if there effective amounts of each ingredient.

Foundational Creatine Matrix 3000mg: We all know and love creatine. Animal uses three different creatine's to make up this matrix. Their claim is it's "only the best" and that the blend combats bloating and maximizes the absorption. The claim, after calling and talking with a Animal Tech, is that one pack a day is enough intake for one day. At 3-5 grams a day recommended the claim isn't too far off. Was told that purity and sources of this creatine make the 3 grams enough. Let us see.

-Magnesium Creatine Chelate: This is creatine monohydrate bonded with magnesium for maximum absorption. Here's my beef with this; I feel like this (correct me if I'm wrong) is a pre-dated version of Kre-Alkalyne. When Chelate is synthesized the final product only tests out 30% creatine and 70% magnesium chelate per gram. You would have to ingest 5-10 grams of this stuff to get your recommended dosage. Now based on the 3000mg and three different creatine's being used I'm assuming a 1 gram per pack used here? Not exactly effective dosage for this. BUT, the creatine you get WILL be absorbed. This is an effective creatine but even if all 3000mg of this matrix was MCC it would be massively under dosed.

-Tri-Creatine Malate: This is basically creatine monohydrate bonded to malic acid (which is used in the Krebs Energy Cycle) to make the creatine more water soluble. This in turn prevents gastric distress and helps with absorption.

-Creatine Ethyl Ester: CEE is mainly used as a creatine source for after a loading phase. It is far more water soluble and seems to bypass standard transportion methods through the cell membranes. This results in faster creatine uptake which is crucial after a five day load and works well with Universals tech stating "don't believe you have to load with this". It prevents the bloating and gastric distress that normally accompanies Monohydrate.

NO Blast Complex: The real key ingredient in this complex is the Citrulline Malate - which has been proven to raise NO levels and reduce fatigue in the human body.

-Your other big ingredients, Arginine Alpha-Ketoglutarate and Ornithine Alpha-Ketoglutarate, serve mainly as supporting players to the Citrulline Malate. To be honest I really think the Arginine and Ornithine belong in the Transportation complex. More more on that later.

-L-Norvaline and L-Carnosine were a welcomed surprise here. For those of you not familiar with them the L-Norvaline is a effective anti-inflammatory seen in several other products. L-Carnosine has been shown to support and bolster vital tissue in the heart,eyes and brain. These to together act as supports to make sure your vitals can handle the increased NO levels.

-How effectively dosed any of these ingredients are is up in the air as it only lists 2000mg dosage for ALL the ingredients total.

Energy Rush Complex - How many complex's are in this thing!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

-Caffiene - We all know and love this substance

-Evodiamine - This acts primarily and a thermogenic and stimulant. It has been shown to increase serotonin transporters available in the brain.

-Vinpocetine - Another lovely surprise that tells me Universal is covering armoring the body as much as priming it. Think of this as body armor for your brain. They're currently studying this as a possible helping agent for amnesia. It protects your brain against stress and toxins and prevents neural inflammation.

Anti-Oxidant Complex - Why can't they use another word...like Arsenal? Anti-Oxidant Arsenal sounds WAY cooler! This is exactly what it sounds like, a mix of anti-oxidants that focus primarily on aiding metabolic processes and anti-inflammatory reactions. This is a nice little addition to kind of bolster the other complex's and smooth out the "ride" if you will. At 700mg total it's not heavily dosed but it's nice insurance that won't clog your kidneys.

Pump Transport Complex (COME ON!!!!!!!) 1000mg - Got your basic energy drink ingredients in this:

-Taurine - the old standby. It's biggest effect, believe it or not, is regulation not boosts. Taurine helps regulate the amount of minerals and water in your blood allowing for safe transport of...well...five other complexs. It also has been shown to enhance neurological capabilities. The men in white say about 3000mg per day is optimal which means this supplement is a little anemic. Remember though that the Animal line up is meant to be combined and many of their other products carry Taurine in them.

-Ginger Root - Holy Moly!!! Don't have room to list all the benefits of this wonder drug. The biggest reason I believe it to be in Animal Pump is it doubles up on other ingredients already in here. It's a very powerful anti-inflammatory and it boosts your metabolism to help burn this supplement into something wonderful.

-Bioperine - Powerful absorption boosting agent.

----Taste/Mixability/Dosing----

This section looks the same for every Animal Product. Open can, take out pack, down pack. No taste problems (unless you keep those nasty capsules in your mouth for long periods of time) and no dose guessing. I LOVE this about these products. Easy to take. Easy peace of mind.

----Effectiveness----

So this didn't turn me into the green machine to rip up the gym like that tornado did to Dorothy. At 5am though it does wake me up. Get's me on a level playing field and removes the fog from my head and primes the muscles to work. I have a good gym session every time I use this and there is DEFINITELY a difference if I go at it on coffee alone instead of PUMP. I have noticed with prolong use that it seems to aid in muscle growth but I never got that vascular feel associated with the "pump". I think the effectiveness of this would be easier to gauge if I wasn't relying on it in place of a cup of black coffee, but I am.

----Value----

If you hunt around you can usually find this for about $28.00 - Not bad for thirty days worth. For what this supplement is I'd say it's worth the money. If you're simply looking for stim'd up pre-workout there are cheaper and better options out there.

----Side Effects----
Don't take if you're not going to move around. If you take it and then just sit around you're going to be anxious as hell!

----Conclusion----
I like this supplement. I like this supplement better when I'm using it in conjunction with other ones. This is a comprehensive mix of....ahem....complex's to prime your body to work and protect it from the stresses that can be associated with it. It is GREAT at doing that. However, I feel that marketing it as a pump product may be a little misleading. There is not tingle and explosive energy like you got with the original Jack3d. Hell, the stims in this are weak enough that Universal tells you "Stacks great with Animal Rage!!!". If you're looking for a stim, for huge veins and that "YYYEEAAAAHHHHH BABY!!!!!!!" feel, look elsewhere. If you want a full tune-up on your muscles and that really good gasoline to keep them running smooth, this is it.

Power, Protect, Perform. Animal Pump
    hinem005
    Rep: 0
      February 18, 2013

Hi my name is Mike and I have been working out for just over a year. I have read reviews on this site before and thought that I should add my own experiances.
    I have used a couple of preworkouts including Super Pump MAX and Jack3d (The old one.
    Compared the these supplements Animal Pump gives me a solid focus and an amazing pump, also you have the option to remove the stimulants or creatine if you are taking other supplements.
    I have taken this supplement for two months and I don´t intend to change yet.
    I didn´t expect the results I had and although this product is made to be stacked with Animal rage I don´t think its necessary.
    Whilst taking this product I have gained about 8 pounds of muscle however I still take it whilst cutting and I have lost a pound in the last week.
    The only side effects were during the first week as my body first adjusted but compared to Super Pump MAX they were next to nothing.
    This product could not be improved.
    I don´t intend to stop using it.
     Pros:
     Cons:
    • Great Pumps
    • Great Focus
    • Crazy Pumps
    • Removable Pills
    • Focused Energy
    • No Crashes
    VANatural
      December 4, 2012

Animal Pump, for me, is a go-to pre-workout, though, to be honest, I haven't tried many. I've used Universal Storm, as well, and I will write a review on that soon. My next pre-workout will be Labrada Super Charge Xtreme N.O.

Pricing 8/10
    The pricing for this product is pretty spot on. $30 is not a lot at all to spend on Pump, considering the amounts in there. I first got seriously ripped off when I bought this from GNC. I spent over $60, which was ridiculous. So my advice is to stick to buying it online, which is pretty common sense.

Taste N/A
    Well, there's no taste because they're pills. That can have its up sides and down sides; for example, it eliminates the taste factor, and if you're a real man, you can swallow it all in one gulp and that eliminates the bloating from all the water, but unfortunately I'm not a "real man" which brings me to the downside. The pills Animal uses are really big. I get the feeling Animal makes them that big just because it's their style, and I find it pretty unnecessary. I take a pill at a time, and it takes forever because there's nine pills, but that's about as long as it would take to drink a traditional pre-workout.

Effectiveness 9/10
    Oh yes, the effectiveness. Here's how it worked with me (keep in mind I'm on my second run). The first week tends to feel like a really mild pre-workout's effects. The second week it starts to kick in and I got some amazing pumps from it. The third week it peaks, and then the fourth week it goes back to what it was like the second week, and the fifth week is the same. It helped me blast through some tough workouts, and totally upped my confidence in the gym. I remember doing an arms workout and my friend said my arms looked like they were about to explode from the skin, which was exactly what it felt like!

Side Effects 1/10
    There were basically no side effects, except I felt a minor headache each time on the first day of the second week, but I'm pretty sure it was coincidental. Still, I thought I might as well throw that in there.

Overall, this is an awesome product that does what it says. But let me give you some tips so you can get the maximal effect from it. First of all, I always took it 45 minutes before training, because whenever a situation occurred where I was rushed and had to take it in a shorter window of time, I didn't feel it when training. Also, the container says it works best on an empty stomach, but if you're serious about lifting, chances are you don't have time to have an empty stomach 45 minutes before training; you're bound to have some food in there. My advice is to keep it at a comfortable level, because if you're stuffing food and Animal Pump into your system 15 minutes before training, you might as well not haven taken the Pump.
     Pros:
     Cons:
    • Great Pumps
    • Causes A Headache
    BigAl434
      August 9, 2011

I've only tried a few pre-workout supplements, an I gotta say this one is for grown folks. Wait, let me explain. I have used Assualt, Superpump, an some single shots of N.O.Explode, an will again. Animal Pump was different, I did'nt get that I'm gonn stay up for 3 days an do 10 sets on everything in here felling you first get with the aforementioned powder supps. I got that did I mess up an take Animal Pak insted of AP.

The first few days I Questioned its affectivness, mild pumps, a bump of energy an not much else. After about my fifth straight day of eating those packs it started to deliver. I noticed the weights going up a little easier, the pumps were good, an it was a sustained energy that was the same from start to finish. It was not a smack in the face an chew the steering wheel of kind of energy, but it worked for me.

The dosage I used was 1 pack everyday on an empty stomach. I took them about 90 mins after I ate an waited 40 mins befor my workout. Sometimes it was a pain to work around that schedule, but I always train on an empty stomach so it was not to difficult. Also being able to take the stims out was a plus. You could also just take them on non-training days an strech the can out more. I opted to take them everyday.

Overall Animal Pump was a good fit to my stack. It was not an in your face pre-workout with neon blue tub an hologram lables an huge claims. But it was a good value an a good product, that I will use again.
     Pros:
     Cons:
    • Great Pumps
    kazha1990
      May 18, 2011

Hi everyone, im new to this site but here's my first review of probably the best pre-workout on the market in my opinion. (Best one so far) Have been training for a year and a half!

Energy (8/10)- Defiantly good energy but not the best that ive tried, Jack3d gives the Ultimate energy boost!

Focus (9/10)- Brilliant focus...I spend 8 hours at the PC on daily basis and around so my day usually ends at 6 when I hit the gym so around half 4 I drink the 9 pills and around half 5 I can start feeling a buzzing feeling inside which makes me want to leave and hit the gym- so yes the focus is pretty strong.

Pump (10/10)- Unbelievable PUMP or I must say "Outrageous Pump" Animal Pump is the Ultimate for a pump in my opinion, it gives me an incredible pump but it depends on the person too because my friend didn't feel much of pump but more energy out of this product. Anyway this was ripping my biceps and any muscle part of my body apart I couldn't walk when I did my legs. I couldn't move my arms when I did my biceps and so on...

Taste (7/10)- Even though their pills there was a weird taste but they go down easily.

Value (7/10) – It could always be cheaper ha ha
    Defiantly a must try product to see how you will react to it...
     Pros:
     Cons:
    • Great Pumps
    • Great Focus
    • Crazy Pumps
    • Removable Pills
    • Focused Energy
    • No Crashes
      ahwhereditgo
        May 18, 2011

So I have tried many supplements in the past. Im a lazy dedicated gym goer. Im a US Marine, and I'll be honest, I work out more because I have to, my looks, and how I feel after. I am far from the guy you just cant keep out of the gym. I know some people knock it, but I just cant get to the gym without some sort of preworkout. Ive also come to love the NO/Creatine combo. So with that being said heres what Ive gotten so far.

Energy: Now lets start with the fact that Im the guy that pounds like 2 energy drinks a day. Any energy supplement that relies on caffeine always falls very short. Its simply not enough. Id also venture to say that that is why there is such a huge variance on experiences from person to person. If you are use to a few caffeinated drinks a day, this probably wont get you going. I really dont even consider this a "preworkout" in the usual sense anymore. Not if your thinking about Jack3d, 1MR, N.O Explode and such.

Pump: I have gotten a pretty awesome pump during my workouts with this though. Vascularity has been great. The down side...most other stricly N.O...NOT preworkout (Im talking about Nitrix vs NO Explode) provide a longer lasting pump.

Value/Convenience: The price is great as long as you buy online for about $30. Getting a creatine and NO product for that price lasting 30 days is great. Especially if you do enjoy it as an energy boost.

So basically for an easy to use, reasonably cost efficient all in one supplement Animal Pump is a pretty good product. If those first couple of cups of coffee in the morning just get you going, and dont have you bouncing off the walls, you will probably be disappointed in the energy. I think where this product comes short from being great is its just not enough of everything to really get the results you may be expecting. You need more then 3 grams of creatine a day. You need more then 2 grams of NO boosting supplements. It will get you through your workouts, but for the long lasting pump, and feeling its just not enough. Theres a reason why most other products you need to take 2-3 times daily. Ive found taking something like Jack3d/Hemorage as a preworkout, and stacking with something like Xpand creatine/NO pills is much more effective for me. Only about $10-$15 more a month too, for me, well worth it.

I am overall happy with the product though. Im def going to finish the can atleast. And on a good note the pumps during a workout are usually enough of a "boost" to leave me not too disappointed with the energy the product provides.
       Pros:
       Cons:
      • Great Pumps
      KaiTheChamp
        May 10, 2011

Like mostly everybody said up here, this is not the best nor the worse pre-workout. My experience with A.P is pretty good, i took 1 pak 30 mins before my workout.

Energies & Focus: I don't feel much with A.P unlike Jack3d. Although i did feel like i could go an extra rep, probably because of the Vitamin C in this stuff. Not bad.

Pump: I gotta give this one a 10. Even though i didn't get much energies out of this, but i just can't deny the pump this stuff gave me, it was incredible. Maybe if you stack this with Super NOS Pump you'll get a better result.

Price: 36 bucks total when you order on All Star Health. I said the price is pretty decent, not the greatest like many pre-workouts i tried before.

But one thing i do love about this is that it doesn't give me the after-effect like Jack3d. I felt extremely depress for some reason, and i drank lots of water too. With A.P i felt fine, maybe a little crash after workout but i kinda like it, it's relaxing.

After all give this a shot if you haven't. If pump is the only main thing you go for then you wouldn't be disappointed in this product.
       Pros:
       Cons:
      • Great Pumps
      • No Crashes
      • Removable Pills
      • 30 Day Supply
      • No Immediate Energy Burst
      • Can't Really Feel The Focus.
      IanWatson
        April 25, 2011

I thought I would try out another Animal line product a few months ago. I have been less than impressed, again. The first time I tried this product was right after I tried M5 and N0 Extreme from Cellucor. Both of those products were great and Animal Pump unfortunately did not match the pumps, focus, and energy I got from not only those two, but other products I have tried.

Pump: 7/10
      I have had much better pumps from other products not specifically designed for pumps. You would think that a product with PUMP in the name would be the best pump you've had. One pack contains less than 2g of pump-inducing ingredients. AAKG is shown not to do anything. Ornithine AKG isn't even supposed to give you a pump. Citrulline should be taken in doses near the 7g mark to give you a good pump. Norvaline inhibits arginase which degrades arginine so that should help, but you shouldn't have AAKG in there in the first place.

Focus: N/A
      Most supplements I take give me the same amount of focus which is very little. I am already quite focused when I go into the gym. I don't need much to help.

Energy: 8/10
      The red pill will wake you up and help you focus. It gave me good energy when I took it, but more often than not I pulled it out, because I was working out too late in the day for me to able to fall asleep. I usually took the red pill on days when I needed to wake up early and it really helped my day get going!

Overall, I believe this product to be very outdated and underdosed in a lot of ingredients. Universal really needs to redesign the profile of this product. I'm not really a fan of pills, but I don't mind swallowing them. If I wanted to I could easily take down two packs with one swallow.

Taking this on an empty stomach wasn't usually a problem, but for others it might be an inconvenience.

I wouldn't recommend this to a friend, as there are better products out there for a pump.
      • Minimal Pumps
      ChelseaNYC
      Rep: -4
        February 26, 2011

I've been using Animal Pak for a few months, and overall I think it works great. Once I find a quality product from a company, I give their other products a shot. So, finding USP Labs Jack3d to give me a bit of a foul disposition, I decided to give Animal Pump a try. I should preface that Pink Magic and PowerFULL were used during this time.

I went through the entire can, only using the red pill about 5 or 6 times. Without the red pill, I didn't really notice any change in my exercise performance. While Jack3d seem to work great some days, and less well other days, this really didn't seem to do anything.

Now, the red pill. Not good. First of all, a cup of coffee feels more stimulating. Worse, the red pill makes me feel light headed, somewhat dizzy, and after a work out - I have a pounding headache. It's been four hors since I took Animal Pump and I still have a headache as I write this.

I will not be buying this product, especially for the cost.
       Pros:
       Cons:
      • Removable Pills
      • 30 Day Supply
      • Alot Of Pills
      • Minimal Pumps
      • Causes A Headache
      kubitzky10
        February 6, 2011

Universal Nutrition's Animal Pump. The Ultimate Pre-Workout Matrix.

*This is my 2nd time taking Animal Pump. I did do a review on it about 1/2 year ago, but I didn't take it properly. I retried it and took it like it's supposed to be taken.

-Animal Pump is a pretty decent product. I'd like to say also that I have tried the Universal Storm/Shock Therapy stack and I prefer it over Pump. To me, powder is the way to go over pills. Just absorbs better and seems to be more effective.

Here is the breakdown:

-Value(8/10)- I ordered on massnutrition.com around the New Year when they had their sale going. It was only $27.50 which is outstaning. You can't go by a one time deal though for value, so normally on Massnutrition.com its $31.95. Thats not to bad, little over a dollar a day.

-(Energy 5/10)- This is where Pump failed greatly. I took a break from stims (1 month) before taking this and it just didn't work for me. Stim pill isn't near as strong enough compared to Shock Therapy. I believe that Shock Therapy is more for energy and Pump is for the Pump (Hence the name).

-(Pump 8/10)- This is the real highlight for Animal Pump. The only problem was that is was a little inconsistent. I noticed that the more carbs I ate earlier in the day, the better pump worked. Man, on leg days when I did leg ext. and calf raises. My legs and calves were huge. I am a very vascular person but I've never seen 4 veins popping out in my calves. It was simply awesome. I really looked forard to arm days when I was on pump. I knew that my arms were going to xplode.

-(Focus 6/10)- Focus was fairly good. It wasn't anywhere near the focus of Superpump 250 though. I never got tunnel vision on pump.

-One problem with pump is that you have to find the right time to take it pre-workout. Mine was about 50 minutes pre-wrokout when it would kick in the best. Also, I noticed that drinking about 32 oz. of water with it helped out a lot for pumps.

-If you decide to take Pump as like say a creatine product, I would stack with some mroe creatine like Storm or Green MAGnitude or kre-alklayn. I just didn't get the effects of the creatine with 3 grams.

-Also, make sure to keep a good diet. Eat a lot before you workout, good foods ofcourse. Wait about 1 1/2 hours after eating to even think about taking pump or I noticed that it wasn't very effective.

Key Pros/Cons of Pump:
      Cons:
      There isn't many cons but here they are.
      *Not a lot of energy.
      *Not very good focus.
      *You have to wait a while for it to kick in.
      *Not as good for energy as Shock Therapy.
      *Not enough creatine for a sole proudct.
      Pros:
      *Great Pumps.
      *Increase in vascularity.
      *Okay strength gains.
      *Helps build muscle as long as you have your diet down correctly.
      *You can take out any pill you want.
      *Good value.
      *About 1$ a day.
       Pros:
       Cons:
      • Great Pumps
      • Need To Wait

Copyright © 2016 SupplementReviews.com. All rights reserved. All trademarks are property of their respective owners.