Pump Igniter

By Top Secret
Pump Igniter Top Secret
7.5/10
(Weighted average based on 4 Reviews)

Ranks #91 of 161 (better than 44%)
in Pre-Workout > Stimulant
Dashboard Reviews Discussion Related Prices

AKA Dump Igniter, surely to give you tingles.

Hey SR, another night shift, another review to kill some time so I don't pass out :)

Get ready, wall of text begins!

Get ready, wall of text begins!

This time, I am reviewing Pump Igniter by Top Secret Nutrition, and I was very unsure about this product going in, as I got absolutely nothing from their other pre named Cardio Igniter.

Now given it's name, Pump Igniter, you would expect to get some pretty solid pumps off this product. Well, first lets dive into the ingredients to see what is cookin'...

-----Ingredient Profile Thoughts (8/10)-----
Per 1 Scoop serving (30 scoops per tub)
Vitamin B3 (as Niacin) 50 mg 250%
Vitamin B12 60 mcg 1000%
Magnesium 6 mg 2%
Sodium 24 mg 1%
Potassium 211 mg 6%

PUMP AND PERFORMANCE SYNTHESIS 3521 mg **
>HydroCarnâ„¢ (Carnosyn®, Beta Alanine HCL) >L-Citrulline
>Beet Root Extract (High in Nitrates)
>Niacin (Vitamin B3)

>Agmatine Sulfate
>Chlorophytum Borivillianum Extract
>Sodium Phosphate
>Picamilon
>Mucuna Pruriens Seed Extract 98% L-Dopa >Phyllanthus Emblica Fruit Extract >Methylcobalamin (Vitamin B12)

The first thing I want to raise a concern about is the possibility of many ingredients being sprinkled. If they do in fact list the ingredients in the proprietary blends in order of amounts (as most do), then you have 4 ingredients in one blend containing less than 50mg (below Niacin), and in the second blend, all the ingredients below caffeine would have less than 300mg, one being Agmatine.

So, the ingredients in this that would give the 'pump' are L-Citrulline, Beet Root Extract, Agmatine Sulfate, Higenamine, Niacin and possibly Rutaecarpine. I am guessing Agmatine is very under dosed, around 200 to 250mg per scoop, so that won't do much. Beet root I am not completely sold on, so not sure how much that will assist in the pump factor. L-Citrulline really kicks in at 5 to 6 grams, which you are not getting from this; I am guessing 1 to 1.5 grams per scoop. Rutaecarpine is an ingredient I am not quite familiar with, but there is possibility it can help with NO production, I read up that Arginine interferes with it so good that this doesn't have any. Finally, Higenamine has been show to increase vasolidation of the arteries in rat studies, but it also speeds up heart rate and is a beta-2 adrenergic receptor agonist. This ingredient is possibly unsafe for those with irregular heart beats, so if you have a heart murmur or something similar, you may want to avoid this ingredient. So, with saying all of that, this isn't looking too impressive on paper for the pump category.

Now this ingredient, Hydrocarn (Beta Alanine HCL), is the main reason I wanted to try this pre-workout (and the fact I got [2] 30 serving tubs for $23). This is a new form of Beta-Alanine which I have never seen in a pre-workout before. I don't get tingles much anymore from regular Beta-Alanine so I wanted to see how this fares up for the lactic acid battle.

For focus and energy, you are getting TOO much caffeine per scoop in my opinion (300mg), makes it tough to take a double dosage if desired as that is a LOT of caffeine. You also get Choline Bitartrate, and I am guessing you are getting a very good dose of this, somewhere over 1 gram (if ordered by potency). Finally, you get a solid dose of Vitamin B12 to prepare you for exercise.

You get a couple ingredients to help uptake of everything which is nice, Astragin and Bioperine.

Many other ingredients, some which are very under dosed I am sure (Chlorophytum Borivillianum and Mucuna Pruriens being two), but there is one more I want to focus on, as I believe it is the culprit for some of the effects/sides I got as I will mention later. This is Picamilon, which is actually a combination of GABA and Niacin which crosses the blood-brain barrier and then is hydrolyzed into GABA and Niacin. The Niacin will also help with the Pump side of things, but it can also really, warm you up.

I give this am 8/10, as with my thorough overview of the formula, I have to say I am disappointed that many ingredients are most likely under dosed, and that there is just too much caffeine per scoop.

-----Taste (7.3/10 average)-----
I had all three flavours, as I grabbed a BOGO of each one... couldn't say no to 180 servings for $69, my thoughts was it if sucked, I'd use as my new coffee replacements over Neurocore.

Red Raspberry (8/10)
Grape (7/10)
Cherry Limeade (7/10)

The flavours are not bad at all, they taste good enough to have day after day for a pre-workout, but not something I would want to drink just to have instead of juice throughout the day.

-----Mixability (10/10)-----
No problem here, stuff mixes up nice and easy with a blender ball. There is no creatine in this so don't have to worry about that.

-----Effectiveness (7/10 combined score)-----
Let's do what I did for my ANS Ritual review, I will rate it by what the company claims it will do on their website, and then add the totals up. TSN claims [6] different bullets, I will put Drive and Focus together into one bullet for [5] total, as they correlate to each other.

--Drive & Focus(2/2)--
This product definitely got me driven to hit the gym, and dialed in some pretty good focus. There was even one time when I was on my way to the gym, and some lady drove in front of me in a roundabout. Without hesitation I slammed on my breaks and my horn, she was literally inches away from my brand new car. I was so aware as to what was going on around me, so this gets huge bonus points for saving my new car from some ignorant driver. In the gym, I was always focus on the task at hand, lifting, and really contracting my muscles.

--Power(.5/2)--
Now, I had some pretty good workouts, but nothing compared to what I had off of ANS Ritual in terms of strength. This could largely be due to the fact that this is a creatine free formula, and I was cycling off of all my creatine supplements while taking this. But this shows that you should definitely stack this with some sort of creatine if you want to get stronger lifts in while using this, because you will definitely have the energy and focus.

--Pump(1/2)--
Now being this is called 'Pump Igniter', I was expecting some crazy pumps off of this. I did not get crazy muscle pumps from this, but I did have some pretty darn good vascularity from this. My veins really started popping out in my arms and forearms, really nice visual effect to turn heads. I would have really liked to experience some more muscle pumps from this though, but the vascularity was so nice that I will give this half points.

--Energy & Endurance(1.8/2)--
Now, I am fairly high stimulant tolerant, but this stuff definitely wakes me up! I felt a good energy take over me within minutes of taking this, and I would wake right up ready to go. My Endurance was pretty darn good too, but fell a little short due to the my full power not being there with it. This is definitely one to take when you are tired and need to wake up! This stuff also gave me consistent beta-alanine tingles, oddly enough I noticed it more with Red Raspberry flavour, and rarely Grape. Also, never got crashes off of this, surprisingly with the giant caffeine doses.

--Mood(1.7/2)--
I will have to say, I did feel like my mood was uplifted when I took this. Overall it was generally pretty good, but there was the odd time when the stomach discomfort would kick in and I would feel a little blah. I will go over this and more in sides.

Final thing to note, I ended up finding a somewhat sweet spot between 1 scoop and up to a scoop and a half... I was actually afraid to try 2 scoops; the first pre-workout to ever scare me to try 2 scoops :s

-----Sides (5/10)-----
Ok so first things first, about 75% of the time after I took this, I paid a visit to the throne. There were many times I had to drop off the Cosby kids at the pool. This never hindered it's effectiveness, but I had to make sure I had a facility nearby incase this came up. I attribute this to the large amount of caffeine as I find for myself, anytime I ingest a large amount of caffeine it ends up with my system getting a purge. Hence my title Dump Igniter :)

Secondly, HOLY NIACIN FLUSHES! Seriously, this stuff gave me insane niacin flushes, to the point where sometimes it looked like I was having an allergic reaction. I would get extremely warm, and VERY tingly (that Hydrocarn hits you good), and then just get blotches of red mainly on my neck, back, elbows and ears. I have taken many other products with the same amount or more of Niacin with nowhere near these effects (75mg in 1 and a half scoops), so I bet this has to do with the combination of the Niacin, Picamilon and Hydrocarn. Seeing as Picamilon is GABA and Niacin, you are getting more than 50mg of it per serving as mentioned on the label, just not sure how much. If this kind of thing bothers you, keep your dose low, or avoid this product. I don't mind it, and is nice when I am freezing at work in the cold datacenter :) It generally subsides within 30 minutes or so, and is not harmful from what I read online, it actually flushes out free radicals.

Lastly, I got the occasional stomach discomfort. My girlfriend tried this a few times and she also got the discomfort once. Just felt like my gut was wrenching, but more water would generally help this go away.

-----Value(10/10)-----
For what I got this stuff for, the value is incredible. BOGO at about $23, so 60 servings. Even at 1.5 scoops I was running 58 cents per workout. But, even at regular price this has some good value still, as I highly doubt you will need to go up to 2 full scoops. If you do, you are a machine my friend!

-----Overall(7.3/10)-----
I do have to say, I like this stuff, and it definitely has it's use. While this would not make it in my top pre-workout choices, it is a solid choice if you need something that really wakes you up. I wish that this gave me a little more power, but in saying that, this would be awesome to stack with a creatine supplement and I do plan to do that in the future. I would've liked to see Creatine HCL in this instead of that Beet Root, but that's just me.

I would give this a thumbs up to advanced users to give it a shot for the experience; but if you are relatively new to supplements, I would advise trying some weaker choices first as this could really throw your system a curve ball... look at the sides I got and I am a very experience and well seasoned supplement user!

And yes, I still like this even with the sides I listed. The only one that really bothered me was the stomach discomfort - thankfully it only happened a couple times. The Niacin flush I actually enjoy, and visiting the throne was fine with me, lightens me up for the task ahead! hahaha.

Wall of text end.

Pros:
Cons:
  • Good Vascularity
  • Good Focus
  • Wakes You Up
  • Holy Tingles Batman
  • Effective
  • Occasional Stomach Discomfort
  • Dump Igniter
  • May Be Too Strong For Some
  • Lack Of Strength
  • Some Ingredients Under Dosed

Posted November 5, 2013
You, War, and JoeFlah have some of the longest reviews lol and that is in no way negative. Great review man

Posted November 5, 2013
"Dropping the kids off at the pool" I love that line. I use it everytime I go to take a dump around my family.

Posted November 5, 2013
Have the same cons about the pump. Expected more! But 300mg of caffeine and a lot of other stuff really get things going! Nice review! I just posted mine, had no issues with my throne with this PW!

Posted November 5, 2013
Thanks guys :) Yea, I kinda went a little crazy with this one haha, but it sure killed a lot of time on my night shift :)

Excellent review bud.

pudgusky

Posted November 6, 2013
Good review. Started reading through it expecting a lot of clutter but was pleasantly surprised to find a minimal amount. Some parts are very 'blocky,' but a lot of great information. Good stuff musclecow

Posted November 6, 2013
Thanks Flash and Pudgusky :)

I had it laid out a little better too, but when I submitted it a few things got messed up. For example the ingredient list, some are not in the list and beside another ingredient - no big deal.

Now my short story makes the home page that much longer haha :)

Momo1

Posted November 6, 2013
Great review! I received a couple of samples of this and the pumps were not there; however, I added Yoked3 about an hour before I took my last sample and man, that hit the spot!

Decent PWO with heavy emphasis on stim side of equation

Not sure if Top Secret ran different versions of their pump igniter, as I got my tub in the clearance section of a local supplement store that had "discontinued products" as the header. Obviously, Pump igniter is NOT discontinued...

I think this is a decent product from Top Secret, I have...

I think this is a decent product from Top Secret, I have had the chance to sample a lot of their stuff but never bought a month supply of anything until I came across the Pump Igniter for $19.99. I ran a quick search on my phone and price was much lower than even bodybuilding.com

On to review:

Ingredients: 9/10. We have roughly 6 grams per serving of active ingredients. You have the requisite Agmatine Sulfate, Carnosyn and so on. I'm not sure if Pump Igniter is suppose to go with another PWO? It's relatively light on the "pump" ingredients, only 3521mg of nitric oxide producing stuff. However, you do get 2485mg of mood/stims, which is a TON. 300mg of caffeine might be just a touch on the heavy side for some users, but for experienced bodybuilders, Also Pump Igniter is the only product that I'm aware of that has both bioperine and astragin in it, so they're covering their bases on bioavailability

Effectiveness 7/10. I definitely got the neuro rush I was expecting. Felt a good tingle, heart rate was elevated for sure. In fact, if you're a first time user, you might want to go with a smaller dosage just to test it out. However, I felt the vascularity/pump itself could use a slight improvement.

Value 8/10. I would rate this 10/10 for the price I paid but not with the way I'm going to utilize Pump Igniter. I like the stims part and in the future will probably combine Pump Igniter with a non-stim private label PWO for a full maximum rush.

Not the worst PWO on the marketplace, not the best either. It's value is in the mood/stim side of the "ignite". If that's what you're looking for, then by all means pull the trigger on this bad boy.

Pros:
Cons:
  • Holy Tingles Batman
  • Wakes You Up
  • Good Focus
  • Effective
  • Wish More Pumps

ron

Posted June 15, 2014
Impressive ingredient list and flavor selection. $24 on AllStarHealth.com for a 30 serving tub. Not a bad price. Too bad the good stuff is hidden at the bottom of 2 prop. blends though.

One scoop did the job trhu the whole bottle, but I wish bigger pumps!

Well, got it again on a BOGO, and had a good surprise! I was a lot skeptical with this "Pump Igniter" after trying the "Astravar 2.0" from the same brand.

Consideration: I was using "Beta-Cret" from Promera 2 times a week and the other 4 training days I used Pump Igniter. Upper parts I used PI, lower parts I used BC, it's explained on my BC review.

Price: 8. Had it on a BOGO sale at BB (I always get these things on a BOGO do make the shipment and taxes here worth for me), 2x 14 servings for around 18 dollars. In this case, I would rate a 10, but getting 14 servings for 18 dollars or 30 servs for 30 dollars, it's just regular, so I'm giving 8 due the good job it did for me.

Profile: 8. I wish it wasn't a prop blend, so I would give it a 9. It has Hydrocarn, a different beta-alanine, and I could feel the tingles much faster with this, around 5-10 minutes I'm feeling the tingles. It also has L-Citrulline, and a bunch of other things.
I need to consider the 300mg of caffeine. I wish it was a smaller dosing so I would try 2 scoops to get a bigger pump, but due my training schedule I couldn't add 600mg of caffeine and keep my sleeping routine.
It also has the Astravar in the formula, I think it does the job since I was able to feel it kicking in every time with only 1 scoop.

Taste: 8. Had cherry limeade, a very good taste but with some beet root aftertaste. If you don't have issues with beet root, like me, you gonna like it.

Effectiveness: 8. Could feel it kicking in every time I used it, 1 scoop each time. This time I used a precision scale to measure the scoop size and it's not tricky. 1 scoop filled to the rim has the right amount.
Pump: 7. Due the name, "PUMP IGNITER", I wish I had bigger and better pumps, so in the pump part I'm giving 7. Just an Ok.
Energy: 9. 300mg of caffeine and a lot of stuff to turn you on in 1 scoop. If you are sensitive to stims, take 1/2 scoop in the 1st time to see what it happens.
Endurance/Recover: 8. Better endurance and recover when using it than not using it.

Cons: No side effects at all.

I like it, TSN did a very good job with this one. Wish it had a little bit more pumping stuff than stims.

Posted November 4, 2013
Forgot to say: mixes really well. No clumps at all!

Top secret is top notch. Overall a great product!

First review here.
I just finished this product and I love it.

I've used a ton of preworkouts. this one seems to have a superior ingredient list. my workouts always had a nice blend of energy, pump, focus, and intensity.

I took it with a trace minerals liquid multi...
First review here.
I just finished this product and I love it.

I took it with a trace minerals liquid multi and amino decanate from musclemeds on an empty stomach every morning before my weight training.

I was able to perform heavy sets with a nice amount of reps. Again, great pump and focus. The beta alanine in this really gives it a nice kick along with creatine, agmatine, and some other cool stims and pump agents.

Definitely not a beginner pre workout. If it's your first one, start with a half scoop. Seriously. This mix had me doing 30-40 sets in an hour and fueled some two a days.

I am on a slow, clean bulk and I'm currently 170. When I started this product 30 days ago, I was 164.

The taste was good and I will use it again. The beta tingles were a little harsh but once you start hitting the weights they feel good. Maybe they could've added more pump agents and a little less stims but it's still awesome. No stomach discomfort and I felt it quick! I think I paid 24 bucks for it so not too bad. Overall a great product.

Pros:
Cons:
  • Effective
  • Good Vascularity