Professional Strength Whey Protein

By Six Star
Professional Strength Whey Protein Six Star
7.3/10
(Weighted average based on 26 Reviews)

Ranks #93 of 107 (better than 13%)
in Protein > Whey Protein
Dashboard Reviews Discussion Related Prices

joeflah13

A pretty darn clean product

*Note: Six Star has updated the packaging for this product. It's a black and silver tub now instead of red and black.

Okay, time for yet another protein review. As a preface, I only got this protein because I was in a major pinch after running out of IsoPure a little faster than I expected. Otherwise, I would've never even considered a brand like Six Star given that they are a child company of Muscle Tech. But in passing by it while shopping at K-Mart, and with my Mom offering to buy 1 tub if I bought 1, I couldn't pass up the opportunity lol.

After all, no matter the brand, it is REALLY hard to mess up a pure whey isolate product, unless the company feels the need to put weird amounts of fats and carbs in there. Thankfully, Six Star had some common sense when they produced this protein.

Profile: 8.5
Can't really complain at all here. Each scoop delivers: 140 calories, .5 g fat, 4 g carbs, and 30 g whey isolate (yielding 3.5 g Leucine). Of course Six Star recommends the 2 scoop serving... gotta love marketing!

The other ingredients were also fairly impressive, one of the shorter lists of ingredients I've seen in while: "Hyper-Pure" Whey Protein Isolate (a.k.a. WPI), cocoa powder, natural/artificial flavors, and then a few preservatives. I found this as a pleasant surprise considering how Six Star/Muscle Tech is synonymous with "Prop Blends" and crazy amounts of fillers. Would've appreciated 0 g fat and 0 g carbs, but I'm not gunna knock the product that much for about 20 extra calories.

Value: 5
Here's essentially the only major downfall of this product. Like I stated earlier, I ended up with 2 tubs of this (thanks Mom) for $54 at K-Mart. 1 tub gets you 17 scoops, so I ended up with 34 servings. Per serving price ends up being $1.59, which is actually higher than Platinum Hydrowhey! And you already know how many problems people have with the price of Hydrowhey. I consider this price tag to be a bit ridiculous, even if it was Hydrolyzed Whey and not the Isolate that it is. Even though I recommend this product, I don't recommend the cost if you don't have the money to blow. There are just too many comparable WPIs on the market for much less per serving.

Mixability/Taste: 9.5
Again, pleasantly surprised in this area. I found 0 issues while mixing this throughout the entire time I used this stuff. Granted, I only used a shaker and never spoon stirred it, but I'd venture to say spoon stirred would work just as well judging by how easily it mixed in a shaker.

As for the taste, the "Decadent Chocolate" tastes pretty damn good! I know a lot of people think that Optimum's Gold Standard Double Chocolate leaves a lot "to be desired" in terms of taste, but for comparisons sake I'd call this flavor a much bolder version of the Gold Standard. It tastes more like a dark chocolate protein instead of milk chocolate, and I loves me some dark chocolate! I look forward to the taste after every workout, which is always a plus. Never a problem with consistency either.

Usage: N/A
Just wanted to note how I used it along with all of this other info. This was the first time I've taken a BCAA/Creatine product immediately postworkout followed by the WPI shake about 15 minutes later. I was worried that this would mess with the effectiveness but in terms of recovery, I feel no differences, which is a plus. Simply put: WPI will help recovery postworkout, just make sure you don't wait too long to take it.

Also, I mentioned in my IsoPure review that the IsoPure's versatility was a great selling point. I'd say the same about this, but only to an extent. This only comes in Vanilla and Chocolate, not all of the other exotic flavors that Iso does. But I still threw this into my oatmeal now and then with some PB to make a Reese's-tasting treat.

Effectiveness: 8
Like I said, recovery and reduced DOMS is definitely noticeable with this product, as I would expect with any WPI. The fact that it does it's job nets this protein an 8 in my book. Now, idk exactly how much of the improved recovery I should be attributing to the BCAA/Creatine combo I'm taking immediately post as well, but as far as combining the two shakes, the recovery is phenomenal.

Overall: 7
At the end of the day, this Whey get's a 7. A pretty darn clean product from a pretty unclean company was a pleasant surprise and it tastes even better than it works. But I just can't bring myself to give this a thumbs up because on the open market, WPIs can be had for MUCH less than $1.59/serving if you know how to shop around.

So, if you got the cash and are in a pinch (like I was), don't let the brand's reputation scare you from this product! Just make sure you don't get suckered in to their other stuff!

Pros:
Cons:
  • Aids Recovery
  • Tastes Great
  • No Prop Blend
  • Price Per Serving Is Unreal

Posted February 18, 2012
EDIT: This review is actually for "Professional Strength Whey Isolate Elite Series", which is also by Six Star but not listed on this site. Sorry for any confusion.

FlashSunday

Posted February 18, 2012
Another good review bro. Keep em up. I forsee a change coming in your status here ;)

Haha thanks Flash, I think I know what you mean

kevO

Posted February 18, 2012
Im shocked at the price of this stuff, how in the world can that be justified! Wth?

Posted February 18, 2012
Haha that's exactly my point. Like, I'd have to TRY really hard to find a regular isolate protein with a higher price per serving. It's just unreal... I just did a quick search on Bodybuilding.com and the only things with WPI in it having a higher price/serving is basically After Glow and Pro Complex, which are superior to a simple WPI in my opinion.

Posted February 19, 2012
Yes, good review. I have a container of the strawberry in my cupboard and I think it's gonna stay there for a while. Just doesn't do it for me.

My recovery time is reduced

I have purchased this protein blend on two seperate occasions. The first time was months ago and the 2nd tub I bought I just finished 2 days ago. What an improvement since the 1st tub. It mixes much better and tastes better (I got the triple chocolate flavor). This protein shake does not provoke gas and bloating like other proteins I've tried, leading me to believe that the ingredients are purer. It could be that the blend agrees with my stomach a lot better, but could have a different effect on other users. My recovery time is reduced, and I have lost fat and gained more definition. I did notice a slight increase in strength but then again I was more focused on shedding pounds of fat rather than strength training throughout the duration of this last 2lb tub. I would recommend this product to anyone looking for a cost-effective solution to protein that still delivers results. Sure its made by MuscleTech, but let it speak for itself before you judge it too quickly. Oh and I also got a free shirt with its purchase at Wal-Mart. By the way I have also tried its competitor Body Fortress quite a few times and I would prefer that one over this one because it contains creatine monohydrate in its blend and tastes a little bit better.

• Cheap
  • Freetshirt!!
  • Should Be Offered In Larger Size
  • Takes Forever To Mix

Posted August 5, 2011
Six Star has mono in it too

Posted August 5, 2011
It does? I didn't see it on the ingredient listing. Hmm that's good to know.

Great product and I highly reccommend using it

I'm a college student so I cannot afford to go to GNC and pay $60 for a tub of protein powder, and I saw this in a magazine so I decided to give it a try. It only costs around $18-$20 and you can buy it at Walmart. I must say that I was really impressed with this product. It comes with a lot of servings so you do not run out of it quick and it comes with everything that you need. I used it for awhile and I gained solid muscle and got stronger while taking it. Most supplements and businesses are just money making and alot of it is bull*** to be honest. You don't need to waste all of your money for named brands. I'm currently taking a break from this product just to swtich things up but i'll forsure get another tube in about a month or so. Great product and I highly reccommend using it!

Sal

Posted March 25, 2011
    two site wheycheap.com
    whey2buy.com I have been in school for six years, working on my masters now, anyhow budgeting is good for you, make the bucks later.

Posted March 25, 2011
    Thanks man I appreciate it

After almost 2 containers Ive gained about 2 pounds of muscle

I decided to switch up my routine,I kept seeing this stuff on tv and after checking a few reviews on here and the price I grabbed 2 containers.When I wake up I usually drink about 12 ounces of water and take a mutlivitamin.I eat a small breakfast then a scoop of this stuff.I have good energy for my cardio,almost as much as an endurance boosting product.I take another scoop before lunch,then one at the end of the day.After almost 2 containers Ive gained about 2 pounds of muscle in less than a month and lost a good percentage of body fat.I heard to drink alot of water when taking this stuff so I drink 2 glasses of water between every scoop and one glass with every meal.Ive had no problems at all.For the price well worth it.I dont particularly like the taste,but since I just chug my drinks it doesnt really matter.

Emery

I thought for the money it was well worth it

I thought for the money it was well worth it. The taste was good (french vanilla), which is a flavor I have never tried before. It mixed easy in my shaker cup. I don't rely on protein shakes as my main protein intake because the shake is supposed to be a supplement. I think that is what is forgotten a lot of the time. People expect this product to do what a good meal high in protein does.
      For the money you can't go wrong with this product. I think it is just as effective as other more expensive whey protein supplements out there!

• New Flavors

I had the french vanilla and it did taste great

ok like most people i tried this for the price. less then 15 bucks what the hell right. well i had the french vanilla and it did taste great! one of the best tasting. at 2 scoops (52grams of protein) it goes pretty fast for a 2lb tub (i did a scoop and a half). even though i liked this product i had the same problem with this as i did with Syntha-6. within 2 hours of taken it i would go to the bathroom. every protein i take i go for around 40g of protein in a serving so i know im not taking to much but that was my only problem with this product.

• Makes Me Go To The Bathroom

I think this is a great deal

I think this is a great deal. Yeah it isn't as good as high quality protein but its less than 20 bucks per purchase so you can't really complain. I got the strawberry smoothie flavor and i think it tastes great. I would drink it even if it had no protein for the taste alone. As for results it defiantly helped me gain muscle and lessen the soreness. If any one has problems mixing just use more liquid. I use about 10 oz of mild and it mixed completely and tasted great. The problem i had was that is made my throat swollen but thats probably just my body. overall great product.

• Bloat And Stomach Discomfort

Its a good value because its cheap and it has a good profile

Its a good value because its cheap and it has a good profile. I bought 2 tubs and didnt mind it cuz it was convient (wal mart lol) Saw decent muscle mass while usein it but it made me bloat and annoyed my stomach :[ switched back to ON GOLD and forgot what a GOOD protein is. Taste was good but didnt mix good and stomach didnt care for it.

• Bloat And Stomach Discomfort

This is a good choice if you run out of protein

Ok, so lately I've been slumming it with the cheap proteins offered at wal-mart, and I've decided to review the one I liked the most. In short, I just like the way it tasted better than the Six Star Isolate or the Body Fortress brand whey, but see below for the longer review.

Ingredient...

Ingredient Profile: 7/10
        30g of Protein per scoop, 170 calories.
        Contents are a proprietary blend divided into three subcategories.

-Ultra-premium Whey Protein Blend:
        Mix of whey concentrate and isolate with concentrate listed first, so it is the primary protein source. Typical of a cheap protein, but not necessarily bad.

-Advanced Recovery and Peformance Blend:
        Creatine monohydrate and taurine for the "performance", and the amino acids lysine, isoleucine, valine, and glutamine for recovery. Doesn't say how much of each, so you get the feeling they're just thrown in to flesh out the profile.

-Protein Digestive Enzyme Blend:
        Contains the enzymes papain and amylase to aid in digestion. I thought this was a nice addition. Interestingly, I read on papain's wikipedia that it has been known to interfere with urine drug tests for cannibinoids.

Taste: 9/10
        I had the triple chocolate flavor, and it was really good! I used this in homemade meal replacement shakes during the day, and I was surprised at how good it was just mixed with milk (dairy or soy) when I used it post workout.

Overall, I was happy with the effectiveness of this product. It helped me reach my daily macros, and also helped with recovery. However, this would hold true with pretty much any other whey protein. I have to dock points, though, for the outstanding label claim that subjects in a double-blind study (uncited) had 70% more gains in LBM and double the increase in bench press than subjects using regular whey. I get the point of wanting to boost your product for advertising purposes, but seriously, they would be better off dropping all the ludicrous claims and flashy marketing in favor a more simplified approach. Just label it "Whey Protein", and market it as the cheap, generic hold-over that it is. At least that would be honest and engender trust, and may even bring down its price point.

This is a good choice if you run out of protein and need something in a pinch, but at around $1 per serving, you could easily find a better value elsewhere. A 2 lb tub of ON Gold Standard can be had for around $25, which is a much superior product and actually will cost less per serving.

• Aids Recovery
        • Tastes Great
        • Should Be Offered In Larger Size

The mixability of the product is kinda poor and more of a bland taste

Ok so Six star was a product i picked up just incase I actually ran out of protein for the cheap price that they were going for. For a full size bottle they sell them every where like Wal-Mart for $20 which isn't a bad deal the only cons i thought about the product was the fact that even though it says 52g of protein a serving it is in heaping scoops which can vary by definition. So idk if the 52g is just because you put more into a drink or by comparison that it is more.The mixability of the product is kinda poor and more of a bland taste but that's why this is 6 star instead of 10 star which is why I keep it as a back-up. Also the cocoa product in the chocolate one didn't set well with my stomach making it harder to use during cardio day which i believe is the best time to get protein into your muscles while they're open and you have platelets trying to repair them and BCAA's packing in protein like it's concrete. This is a whey protein so use it during training or immediately after if you would rather have the cheaper choice but remember this isn't a casein protein so a longer digesting protein would be best to use on off days and morning/nights in combination with this product.

• Freetshirt!!