Home > Categories > Protein > Whey Protein > Six Star > Professional Strength Whey Protein

Six Star Professional Strength Whey Protein

Professional Strength Whey Protein Six Star
Expert Rating:
User Rating: (26 Reviews)

Review Authenticity: 95% (Trusted)
LOWEST Prices for Professional Strength Whey Protein (Links open in new window) [Sponsored]
17.99 Buy Professional Strength Whey Protein $5.95 flat shipping rate Buy Professional Strength Whey Protein
27.98 Buy Professional Strength Whey Protein Thousands of Supplements! Buy Professional Strength Whey Protein
Report Product Error

Compare Similar Products:

Users who liked this product also liked:

EAS Myoplex Reviews
Myoplex (17 Reviews)
6.9
Optimum Nitro Core 24 Reviews
Nitro Core 24 (38 Reviews)
Natures Best Isopure Zero Carb RTD Reviews
Isopure Zero Carb RTD (4 Reviews)

Products in the same category:

Optimum 100% Whey Reviews
100% Whey (374 Reviews)
9.2
Optimum Platinum Hydro Whey Reviews
Platinum Hydro Whey (98 Reviews)
9.1
GNC Wheybolic Extreme 60 Reviews
Wheybolic Extreme 60 (79 Reviews)

Get Involved!

Confused about Supplements?

FREE 7-Day Supplement Crash Course:

Description

Professional Strength Whey Protein Nutritional Info and Supplement Facts on: Links open in new window
Professional Strength Whey Protein Reviews:
Pros:
Cons:
  • Good Taste (16)
  • Builds Muscle (14)
  • Good Value (13)
  • Cheap (5)
  • Bloat And Stomach Discomfort (7)
  • Not Enough Servings (7)
  • Should Be Offered In Larger Size (5)
  • Takes Forever To Mix (5)
February 18, 2012

Age: 19

February 18, 2012
 *Note: Six Star has updated the packaging for this product. It's a black and silver tub now instead of red and black.

Okay, time for yet another protein review. As a preface, I only got this protein because I was in a major pinch after running out of IsoPure a little faster than I expected. Otherwise, I would've never even considered a brand like Six Star given that they are a child company of Muscle Tech. But in passing by it while shopping at K-Mart, and with my Mom offering to buy 1 tub if I bought 1, I couldn't pass up the opportunity lol.

After all, no matter the brand, it is REALLY hard to mess up a pure whey isolate product, unless the company feels the need to put weird amounts of fats and carbs in there. Thankfully, Six Star had some common sense when they produced this protein.

Profile: 8.5
Can't really complain at all here. Each scoop delivers: 140 calories, .5 g fat, 4 g carbs, and 30 g whey isolate (yielding 3.5 g Leucine). Of course Six Star recommends the 2 scoop serving... gotta love marketing!

The other ingredients were also fairly impressive, one of the shorter lists of ingredients I've seen in while: "Hyper-Pure" Whey Protein Isolate (a.k.a. WPI), cocoa powder, natural/artificial flavors, and then a few preservatives. I found this as a pleasant surprise considering how Six Star/Muscle Tech is synonymous with "Prop Blends" and crazy amounts of fillers. Would've appreciated 0 g fat and 0 g carbs, but I'm not gunna knock the product that much for about 20 extra calories.

Value: 5
Here's essentially the only major downfall of this product. Like I stated earlier, I ended up with 2 tubs of this (thanks Mom) for $54 at K-Mart. 1 tub gets you 17 scoops, so I ended up with 34 servings. Per serving price ends up being $1.59, which is actually higher than Platinum Hydrowhey! And you already know how many problems people have with the price of Hydrowhey. I consider this price tag to be a bit ridiculous, even if it was Hydrolyzed Whey and not the Isolate that it is. Even though I recommend this product, I don't recommend the cost if you don't have the money to blow. There are just too many comparable WPIs on the market for much less per serving.

Mixability/Taste: 9.5
Again, pleasantly surprised in this area. I found 0 issues while mixing this throughout the entire time I used this stuff. Granted, I only used a shaker and never spoon stirred it, but I'd venture to say spoon stirred would work just as well judging by how easily it mixed in a shaker.

As for the taste, the "Decadent Chocolate" tastes pretty damn good! I know a lot of people think that Optimum's Gold Standard Double Chocolate leaves a lot "to be desired" in terms of taste, but for comparisons sake I'd call this flavor a much bolder version of the Gold Standard. It tastes more like a dark chocolate protein instead of milk chocolate, and I loves me some dark chocolate! I look forward to the taste after every workout, which is always a plus. Never a problem with consistency either.

Usage: N/A
Just wanted to note how I used it along with all of this other info. This was the first time I've taken a BCAA/Creatine product immediately postworkout followed by the WPI shake about 15 minutes later. I was worried that this would mess with the effectiveness but in terms of recovery, I feel no differences, which is a plus. Simply put: WPI will help recovery postworkout, just make sure you don't wait too long to take it.

Also, I mentioned in my IsoPure review that the IsoPure's versatility was a great selling point. I'd say the same about this, but only to an extent. This only comes in Vanilla and Chocolate, not all of the other exotic flavors that Iso does. But I still threw this into my oatmeal now and then with some PB to make a Reese's-tasting treat.

Effectiveness: 8
Like I said, recovery and reduced DOMS is definitely noticeable with this product, as I would expect with any WPI. The fact that it does it's job nets this protein an 8 in my book. Now, idk exactly how much of the improved recovery I should be attributing to the BCAA/Creatine combo I'm taking immediately post as well, but as far as combining the two shakes, the recovery is phenomenal.

Overall: 7
At the end of the day, this Whey get's a 7. A pretty darn clean product from a pretty unclean company was a pleasant surprise and it tastes even better than it works. But I just can't bring myself to give this a thumbs up because on the open market, WPIs can be had for MUCH less than $1.59/serving if you know how to shop around.

So, if you got the cash and are in a pinch (like I was), don't let the brand's reputation scare you from this product! Just make sure you don't get suckered in to their other stuff!
Pros:
Cons:
  • Aids Recovery
  • Tastes Great
  • No Prop Blend
Reply #1:

Reputation: +1254
EDIT: This review is actually for "Professional Strength Whey Isolate Elite Series", which is also by Six Star but not listed on this site. Sorry for any confusion.

Reply #2:
FlashSunday
FlashSunday

Joined: 1/2011
Reviews: 77
Reputation: +3345
Another good review bro. Keep em up. I forsee a change coming in your status here ;)

Reply #3:

Haha thanks Flash, I think I know what you mean

Reply #4:
kevO
kevO

Joined: 8/2010
Reviews: 71
Reputation: +3978
Im shocked at the price of this stuff, how in the world can that be justified! Wth?

Reply #5:

Reputation: +1254
Haha that's exactly my point. Like, I'd have to TRY really hard to find a regular isolate protein with a higher price per serving. It's just unreal... I just did a quick search on Bodybuilding.com and the only things with WPI in it having a higher price/serving is basically After Glow and Pro Complex, which are superior to a simple WPI in my opinion.

Reply #6:
Heavydoody
Heavydoody

Joined: 3/2012
Reviews: 5
Reputation: +28
Yes, good review. I have a container of the strawberry in my cupboard and I think it's gonna stay there for a while. Just doesn't do it for me.

January 13, 2014

incredicone

Age: 35

January 13, 2014
Excellent product. Incredible value.

I discovered this product when I was buying my ephedrine at Walgreens. After my first container, I was highly impressed with the quality, bioavailability, ingredients, price, flavor options and flavor in general, availability, texture, effectiveness and content compared to my usual protein supplement which was the EAS whey protein. My entire program has, for years, been based off Bill Phillips, Body For Life, program. This program highly endorses EAS products which I love, but after discovering the Six Start which I'd the same content for 10-20 dollars less expensive, I must strongly suggest this product for all my aforementioned reasons. I recently had to reduce my supplement budget and because of this product, I did not have to sacrifice anything in the way of quality or effect. Even if my budget for supplements were higher, I would continue to use Six Star because of not only the price, but also the quality and balance of vitamins and creatine contained by this product. I am very happy with this product on every level, even the flavor. I enjoy the strawberry flavor immensely which incidentally blends beautifully with my NOS Blast supplement I use for PWO on lifting days. Nothing but 10's from me. Good work Six Star!
Pros:
Cons:
  • Best Protein Product For The Price I Have Found.
March 17, 2013

RobertMc1982

Reviews: 13

Age: 30

March 17, 2013
 Ok, so lately I've been slumming it with the cheap proteins offered at wal-mart, and I've decided to review the one I liked the most. In short, I just like the way it tasted better than the Six Star Isolate or the Body Fortress brand whey, but see below for the longer review.

Ingredient Profile: 7/10
30g of Protein per scoop, 170 calories.
Contents are a proprietary blend divided into three subcategories.

-Ultra-premium Whey Protein Blend:
Mix of whey concentrate and isolate with concentrate listed first, so it is the primary protein source. Typical of a cheap protein, but not necessarily bad.

-Advanced Recovery and Peformance Blend:
Creatine monohydrate and taurine for the "performance", and the amino acids lysine, isoleucine, valine, and glutamine for recovery. Doesn't say how much of each, so you get the feeling they're just thrown in to flesh out the profile.

-Protein Digestive Enzyme Blend:
Contains the enzymes papain and amylase to aid in digestion. I thought this was a nice addition. Interestingly, I read on papain's wikipedia that it has been known to interfere with urine drug tests for cannibinoids.

Taste: 9/10
I had the triple chocolate flavor, and it was really good! I used this in homemade meal replacement shakes during the day, and I was surprised at how good it was just mixed with milk (dairy or soy) when I used it post workout.

Overall, I was happy with the effectiveness of this product. It helped me reach my daily macros, and also helped with recovery. However, this would hold true with pretty much any other whey protein. I have to dock points, though, for the outstanding label claim that subjects in a double-blind study (uncited) had 70% more gains in LBM and double the increase in bench press than subjects using regular whey. I get the point of wanting to boost your product for advertising purposes, but seriously, they would be better off dropping all the ludicrous claims and flashy marketing in favor a more simplified approach. Just label it "Whey Protein", and market it as the cheap, generic hold-over that it is. At least that would be honest and engender trust, and may even bring down its price point.

This is a good choice if you run out of protein and need something in a pinch, but at around $1 per serving, you could easily find a better value elsewhere. A 2 lb tub of ON Gold Standard can be had for around $25, which is a much superior product and actually will cost less per serving.
September 20, 2012

ASF

Age: 21

September 20, 2012
 I find myself going back and forth between this protein and the body fortress one. This one taste a great deal better and it is a bit more effective than the body fortress whey protein. On the other hand its a bit more expensive... Still much more inexpensive than all the rip off protein supplements at GNC.
Taste 9/10

navarrohb

Reviews: 10

Age: 21

July 16, 2012
 I cant say much about this product because Ive never liked it. not enough of servings and too expensive for such a poor protein powder. It helps with recovery like every other protein powder out there but no strength gains no energy no muscle fullness no mass. nothing but bloating and discomfort. I love six stars products but this one is a fail. and the new 60 gram edition is also a fail. they need to work on the entire formula from scratch. next time you go for this at walmart, look next to it, BodyFortress is where its at. save money and build muscle
Pros:
Cons:
  • Same Shelf As Bodyfortress
  • New Flavors
  • Aids Recovery
  • Price Per Serving Is Unreal
  • Takes Forever To Mix
  • Bad Gas
  • Makes Me Go To The Bathroom
  • Insignificant Gains
June 11, 2012

Tommy31B

Reviews: 4

Age: 14

June 11, 2012
 This was the first supplement I bought. I was lacking on money and decided to try this stuff at Wal-Mart for $20. At first I couldn't really handle the taste and almost threw up. This was soon resolved when I properly mixed the protein. I'd been working out for about six months prior to taking this stuff and had good gains. Yet, after one whole tub of this crap I hadnt noticed anything (significant) regarding my strength or mass. I soon bought another tub(no money) and noticed it tasted relatively well. But, for the most part I myself would consider this protein mediocre. And I'm hoping to upgrade to some Optimum Nutrition Hydrowhey.
  • Cheap
  • Insignificant Gains
May 21, 2012

oscar1974

Reviews: 3

Age: 38

May 21, 2012
 I ran out of my usual protein(now foods whey isolate)so i picked this up at kmart for $25 for 2lbs and took it immediately after my workout the tase is good but effective is sub par will not purchase again
April 17, 2012

LucKyG

Reviews: 3

Age: 20

April 17, 2012
 Ok so Six star was a product i picked up just incase I actually ran out of protein for the cheap price that they were going for. For a full size bottle they sell them every where like Wal-Mart for $20 which isn't a bad deal the only cons i thought about the product was the fact that even though it says 52g of protein a serving it is in heaping scoops which can vary by definition. So idk if the 52g is just because you put more into a drink or by comparison that it is more.The mixability of the product is kinda poor and more of a bland taste but that's why this is 6 star instead of 10 star which is why I keep it as a back-up. Also the cocoa product in the chocolate one didn't set well with my stomach making it harder to use during cardio day which i believe is the best time to get protein into your muscles while they're open and you have platelets trying to repair them and BCAA's packing in protein like it's concrete. This is a whey protein so use it during training or immediately after if you would rather have the cheaper choice but remember this isn't a casein protein so a longer digesting protein would be best to use on off days and morning/nights in combination with this product.
  • Freetshirt!!
  • Shooting Stomach Cramps And Pain
  • Takes Forever To Mix
April 1, 2012

chunkman36

Reviews: 5

Age: 40

April 1, 2012
 Picked this up on clearance (there's a reason it was clearanced) for $15 at Walmart. Sometimes you get what you pay for. It is nearly unmixable (unless you possess a Ninja Blender), and it has a horribly artificial "chocolate" flavor. I have managed to choke most of it down by adding to my maple & brown sugar oatmeal. Not sure about the artificial sweeteners Six Star uses (corn syrup solids?), but I frequently experience nausea and/or cramping after using, side-effects I have never experienced using Warrior Whey, Syntha 6, Body Fortress Whey, etc. In terms of results, I have gained roughly three pounds in the six weeks I've been using, but I would attribute any positive gains to my pre-workout (Muscle Pharm Assault). As far as Six Star Whey Protein, for roughly the same price, you can purchase Warrior Whey, an infinitely superior (imho) product.
February 1, 2012

Fx4Fighter

Age: 24

February 1, 2012
 I picked up this product for a little over $20. It was only half full when I got it, and I went though it in less than a month. It taste good, but it gave me bad gas. The only way I mixed it was in the blender,and the consistency was fairly good. I would recommend this to anyone on a budget but for $8 more you can get a much high quality whey from Golden Standard which is what I have been taking for the past week, and I'm all ready much happier with it.
  • Cheap
  • Bad Gas
Reply #1:
calicoblack
calicoblack

Joined: 8/2011
Reviews: 4
Reputation: +7
There are a bunch of 5lb for $30-$35 whey proteins both online and Sams club type places. Shop around, $20 for 2lbs is too much.

Have you used Professional Strength Whey Protein? Submit your own Review!