Home > Categories > Protein > Whey Protein > Ryno Power > Protein > Reviews

Protein

By Ryno Power
Protein Ryno Power
7.4/10
(Weighted average based on 3 Reviews)

Ranks #89 of 107 (better than 17%)
in Protein > Whey Protein
Dashboard Reviews Discussion Related Prices

kevO

Not bad at all...Except the price...ugh

Big thanks to Ryno Power Sports Supplements for providing me the opportunity to try their entire line of products. As Blade described in his review, the supplements in this line are geared towards endurance/extreme sports athletes, not so much for weight/powerlifters. So taking that into consideration, today I will be reviewing their protein.

Profile: 8.5

Pretty solid profile with a bunch of extra goodies thrown in there. The protein consists of a large variety of sources: micro filtered and ion-exchange whey isolate and concentrate, whey peptides, milk protein isolate, micellar casein, calcium caseinate, and egg white protein isolate.
The extras include things such as: taurine, coenzyme q10, d-ribose, quercitin, curcumin, phosphatidylserine, etc, etc...
As Bladeski so eloquently put it in his review, Ryno took the kitchen sink approach and considering this is in a massive prop blend, most likely 'pixie dusted' a lot of the additional goodies.
Additionally, it was really nice to see no dyes or crazy unecessary chemical fillers. Stevia and cocoa are used as the sweetner and flavoring, which to me is a very nice touch and a departure from the normal assault of artificial sweetners.
There is a minor discrepancy about the amino profile, as RynoSports did not include the amount of grams the amino profile was extrapolated from. Not a big deal, but it would be nice to know.
However, I cant knock the approach as it seemed to prove pretty effective for me. All in all, a solid profile.

Effectiveness: 8.5/10

Not going to say much here, as we all know ranking proteins' effectiveness is pretty subjective to say the least. What I can say is that it performed well with zero digestion issues. Obviously nothing tangible in the muscle building or recovery department, but seemed right on par with other similar blends. Overall I was happy with it.

Taste/Mixability: 7.5/10

I had the swiss chocolate flavor, it was decent. Nothing to write home about, but not bad by any means. They pretty much used cocoa and stevia for flavoring and all things considered, it turned out pretty good. Mixability was good for a blend of this type.

Value: 5.5/10
2scoops = 34g protein
24 servings a tub, about $50 a tub
Roughly comes out to a bit over $2 a serving...
Ouch! Thats just too much for what it is.

Overall this is a good protein but for a very steep price. I would recommend it if money is no object, but if you are on a tight budget there are several similar products for a better value.

Pros:
Cons:
  • Solid Blended Protein
  • Amino Profile Discrepancies

sdunlimited

Posted August 18, 2013
Kev - I need to model my reviews after this one of yours: straight, to the point, no mincing words and effective. I always end up typing too much so I'm going to stop....here.

Posted August 18, 2013
yeah this perv's reviews are very easy to read and straight to the point. I am little concerned on the price for this *** because from previous forum discussions Ion exchange protein is less quality and a cheap way to process it...

Blade410

Solid blend, steep price

Up for review today is Ryno Power Sports Supplements - Protein. The good reps at the Ryno line were very gracious to provide KevO and myself with their entire line of products. Ryno appears to be a newer player on the supplement field and it appears to be targeted to not just weight lifters. It has more of a moto cross feel to it as some of the supplements are motocross alternative sports and and are endurance/electrolyte based.

Now onto the protein. First thing that I like about the protein is a no BS approach. No fancy name, no fancy labeling and no fancy claims. Even the taste which we will get into later isn't fancy but it isn't bad.

Ingredients 8ish: A blend of a variety of proteins. Including whey isolate, milk isolates, micellar casein, egg protein and the dreaded ion exchange whey. Also it is fortified with a shopping cart of other BCAAs, EAAs and designer minerals (such as COQ 10, D-Ribose and the ever expensive phosphatidylserine. No idea how much designer extras are included so it could be pixie dusted. An overall impressive kitchen sink approach to a protein blend. I can't get on them too much for the ion exchange whey as it is only one of about 6 different proteins in the blend.

As far as the serving size, it is 2 scoops yielding 50g total. Of this 34g is protein, 2g of fat and 10 carbs (5 from sugar). Now for the confusing part, it lists the entire amino profile but it does not indicate if it is for a full serving or a standard 100g amount. Also the amino profile is extremely inflated and indicates 23g of BCAAs and 22g of EAAs. This is the only skeptical labeling I noticed, I attempted to track additional information down but couldn't. Overall I believe this is just an oversight of the labeling as the rest of the product does not make any exaggerated claims.

Effectiveness 8.5: As with protein it is difficult to gauge the effectiveness regarding muscle building. In evaluating the ingredient profile it appears solid, effective and free from significant fault. In terms of digestion, this was one of the cleanest digesting proteins I have tried. No gastro discomfort was experienced.

Taste 8: Swiss chocolate was the flavor I tried. They only have two flavors, this and vanilla. Again, keeping it simple and straight forward. The Swiss Chocolate flavor had more of a cocoa smell and taste. A bit thin in texture but it was tasty. No issues here, not the best but definitely not the worst.

Value 6: At roughly 50 dollars for a 2 pound @ 24 servings tub this is priced a much higher than your standard staples. One of the reasons for the higher price is the limited availability. Protein has been increasing in price over the past 2-3 years but this is overpriced in my opinion. However, the profile is solid and the digestion is smooth.

Conclusion 7: I really like this protein, let me first say that. The profile and the fortification in the protein are great. The price is not so much great. It still receives the bladeski seal of approval even with the high price tag. If you have a bit of extra money to burn, check it out.

• Amino Profile Discrepancies

Tastiest protein on the marketplace

I know protein is one of those touchy subjects where every single gram of carb, protein, calorie ratio is scrutinized to the last drop. If you're one of those guys, then Ryno Power protein ain't for you.

Hands down, the best tasting protein I have ever had. It's relatively light, the chocolate flavor, taste well, exactly what you hope for a chocolate protein to taste like. It's not super clean that it taste almost fake (like the ISO Pures). Of course for something to taste this good, there has to be added carbs, which Ryno does have, 12 grams. On to the nitty gritty:

Effectiveness: 9
A good protein blend should have both fast and slow absorbing proteins and Ryno hits the spot. Makes my life easier not having to mix up my whey/casien individually.

Ingredients: 9

Ryno Power protein has a blend of fast absorbing hydrolized whey and slower absorbing egg white and casien protein. The exact composition: whey protein isolate and concentrate, Whey Peptides, Milk Protein Isolate, Micellar Casein, Calcium Caseinate, egg white protein isolate

It also packs 34 grams of protein per individual serving, compared to the 22 to 29 gram found in most other proteins. It would have received a 10 if not for the added 12 grams of carbs

Value: Their protein is a little bit on the more expensive side, at $45 on bodybuilding.com. I got mine of course, at a show so I paid $30 cash which is still a pinch more than what I pay for other brands.

Taste: My goodness, try a scoop out yourself, even with plain old water. Best tasting protein powder, EVER. Now clocking at 194 calories, with 34 grams of protein, we know roughly 70 calories are "empty" so that must be where the amazing chocolaty flavor comes from. If you're not hardcore about your carbs, pull the trigger on this, makes drinking multiple shakes a breeze, especially if you don't have milk always present.

Pros:
Cons:
  • Best Tasting Protein Ever

Posted March 27, 2014
I would check your calorie math again. Forgot the calories from fat and carbs