Home > Retailers > GNC

Selection:
6.1
Prices:
3.7

Current Special: Various Deals Daily!

View all 26 Coupon Codes for GNC

Reviews: 7
Reputation: -36
November 19, 2013
Overall: 8 | Service: 10 | Selection: 7 | Prices: 4
I bought a bottle of Build HD White raspberry off GNC.com, the bottle came cracked. I took it to the store, the dude at the store evaluated it. He could have exchanged it there, but he didn't he called GNC.com service. What did I end up with? I ended up with a new container 2 weeks later. Would I order from GNC.com again? Absolutely. I got 60 servings of Build HD for 20 dollars.

As far as the store goes, there are 5 GNCs by me maybe more. The one in West Bloomfield, MI the lady was asleep behind the counter. Every time I go in she has no idea about supplements. Do I go there unless I want to check out their clearance? No! There's 2 GNC employees I became boys with. If you have an ounce of coolness in you, you need to do this. I have received so many free samples it doesn't make sense.

What I will tell you is this, you go in and you laugh at them when they try to talk you into something. I found specials at Mall Stores and guys at the stores in strip malls doubted me then it came up on sale on their register and they were shocked. If you don't know your supplements they can sell you, if you know you're stuff then they just let you look around.

There is no way on god's green earth GNC has an agreement with Optimum that they can't produce a protein better than Wheybolic. Don't let the sales people sell you, if you know you're stuff and have a back bone they stop trying. I don't care if Megaman is made from whole foods, I'm not paying 20 dollars for 28 when I can buy 100 multis for 4 dollars on sale at Meijer or Target.

Point blank, if you have a back bone and know you're supplements you have nothing to worry about.
1 of 10 found this helpful.

YesILift

Age: 40
Joined: 11/2013
Reputation: +12
November 2, 2013
Overall: 2 | Service: 1 | Selection: 3 | Prices: 1
Everyone with half of a brain knows that GNC associates make commission, but how many know that half the crap they shove in your face is dictated to them by the company and the numbers they must meet or face termination? "Are you taking a multivitamin? Here! Buy 4 boxes at $69 each!" Two minutes later..."You're taking fish oil, right? Only $35 for a months supply!" As you're trying to pay..."You have a Gold Card, don't you? Oh wait...it expired? Dude, you can renew and get $4.50 off!! Isn't that awesome?!" No. No, it's distinctly NOT awesome. The bulldog sales approach is not only off putting, it's offensive. See these muscles? They weren't attained via the internet. I know what I want, I know the difference between creatine and beta alanine, I know all the features of whey, casein, egg, soy, and every other "protein matrix" out there. Don't treat me like a delicate little flower because I'm a woman. If I have a question, I'll ask. I'll buy what I want, not what YOU need to sell.
GNC is money driven, not well being concerned and the training the associates receive is rudimentary at best. Anyone can read a label, but can they understand it? Going into a GNC is like wading through a cesspool of stagnating testosterone and arrogance, forever employing scrawny boys with big dreams of big biceps and too much hair product. I'll never shop a GNC again. Bodybuilding.com all the way, baby!
10 of 10 found this helpful.

AM816

Age: 25
Joined: 10/2011
Reviews: 1
Reputation: +20
October 16, 2013
Overall: 1 | Service: 0 | Selection: 0 | Prices: 0
I am beyond disappointed with GNC's service. They only get a 1 Overall because I did receive some of my product.

First Issue: I decided to place an order via their online store because of their Buy 3 for 25$ special. I made an account and used the correct e-mail address. I placed an order for two bottles of ZMA & one bottle of Astravar 2.0. Well I never received an e-mail with information regarding my order or account. I had no way of tracking my order information and statuts.

Second Issue: I did receive my bottles of ZMA and was charged $27 after tax for the total transaction. I assumed maybe the Astravar would come in later because it was not a GNC product and would be shipped from another source. Did not receive any information in that package regarding my order or where my Astravar was.

Third Issue: Two months later and still no Astravar and no notification. So I give GNC a call and they cannot find any of my account information and have to use my credit card number to track my order.

BIGGEST Issue: While talking with the GNC customer service agent, I was informed I would not be receiving my Astravar because it was on back-order too long and thus GNC just canceled the order. So then I said can I get a refund for the Astravar portion of the sale. The agent insisted that I was not charged for the Astravar. On the contrary, I was because the special was clearly 3 for $25 which is exactly what I was charged. In essence I stated to the agent, that they had charged me full price for both bottles of ZMA because I was no longer receiving my Astravar and this was inducement for undesirable service and products. The ONLY REASON I made the purchase was because of the belief that I would receive THREE products for $25, NOT TWO. I was spoken down to and told that I just couldn't understand the concept that I was not charged for the Astravar. Well, I was induced to purchase 3 for $25 and only received two without notification that I would not receive the third. Clear misrepresentation and fraudulent consumer inducement. On top of that I was spoken to as if I was an idiot.

Conclusion: I will never purchase from GNC in store or online and should have known better. I have received far superior service from smaller online companies that don't have the assets GNC has; indicating to me that GNC just doesn't give a *** about service.
5 of 5 found this helpful.

kropduster

Age: 38
Joined: 7/2013
Reputation: +1
July 11, 2013
Overall: 8 | Service: 9 | Selection: 8 | Prices: 7
I have found that like many stores I walk into the people that work their may not have the information I need. As a new workout addict I need more info than others and I feel they strugle in that area. Overall I have had a great experince with GNC and I watch for the sales and coupons, that helps with the price issues.

1 of 1 found this helpful.

dawg84

Joined: 1/2011
Reviews: 12
Reputation: +67
June 9, 2013
Overall: 5 | Service: 5 | Selection: 5 | Prices: 5
Alright, I know GNC has been reviewed a ton, but as a former employee who managed stores for two years, I wanted to provide a review that is a little clearer and more in-depth than some of these. And before anyone asks, yes, I have reviewed GNC products but that was prior to my employment.

I've also decided to give ratings of 5 across the board because unlike the majority of the retailers reviewed on here, you can have a vastly different experience depending on where you shop. I will explain this more in each sub-section.

Selection (5/10):
Selection gets a 5 because of the different segments of GNC stores. Larger Segment A stores (malls, big strip centers) have the largest selection of items while the smaller Segment C & D stores (small towns, crappy areas, etc.) have very little. Military stores usually have good selections, but they are unable to carry certain products (primarily anything with DMAA in it). Finally you have franchise stores, which are all over the map, but if you like PMD products than they've got all you could ever need. You can always have an item that GNC carries but can't be found in store delivered for free, but that is contingent on the sales person being competent enough to do it and the price being worth it.

Price (5/10):
Price gets a 5 because unlike what some other people say on here, you can actually find some pretty good deals on products. The gold card now works everyday, but you are going to save anywhere between 5-50% off instead of the 20% you used to. Since GNC retail prices are f**king absurd (P6 for $120?), this can either be a great deal or a pretty crappy one. For example, a while back Jack3d was on sale for $26.99, which isn't the cheapest you'll find it, but you don't have to pay any shipping and you can have it right away. On the other hand, PES Enhanced is part of BOGO, so with a price of $50 you are getting ripped off unless you are getting something else.

The best way to get a good deal is to find the discontinued or expiring products (which is probably going to really *** of the sales person). Most of these are marked down at least 50% off of retail, and the membership gets you another 20% off. For example, my entire stock of the Cellucor 2 in 1 M5 was expiring and marked down to $41.49. It's a pretty good product (tastes atrocious) but with the additional 20% off it's $33.19 before tax.

Finally, because I believe in transparency, I feel I should mention a little fact on the member pricing program. Basically the company has decided to make weekly price adjustments on the member prices of some products. This pretty much means that if they are selling a lot of a product they are probably going to increase the price. Take the Jack3d I mentioned above for an example, I guess a lot of it was being sold at $26.99, so the price was increased to $29.99 after three or four weeks.

Service (5/10):
Same as the others, this gets a 5 because there are a lot of different type of people who work for GNC. You've got some people who actually know what they are talking about and want to legitimately help, while others could care less about helping you and only want to make commissions or sell GNC brand products. Hopefully if you are someone who is reading this site, then it means you are doing your research on products before hand, because it can be hard to tell if some sales associates have yours or their best interest in mind.

I've figured out a pretty easy way to determine whether or not the person helping you is being honest, or just trying to make money. All you have to do is ask them to compare a product you know is good to one made by any member of the BPI family. If they really talk up the BPI product, then they are probably full of s**t. BPI products pay a ton in commission, and if you are wondering about their effectiveness then just check out any of the reviews on BPI or Image Sports.

Overall (5/10):
My basic point here was to point out that it is entirely possible to have a good experience with GNC, but it is just as easy to be completely screwed over. When I worked there I did everything I could to make sure that I never turned into one of those money-grubbing morons, but unfortunately I can't speak for the entire company. My best recommendation is to search sites like this prior to going to a store so that you have some idea of what you are looking for. If you have some background knowledge on the products it makes it significantly easier for you to make the correct decision once you are in the store. It also helps prevent you getting robbed by a sales associate who tells you that the "Jay Cutler This is What I Take Stack" will turn you into a Greek god overnight.
16 of 16 found this helpful.

trooper

Age: 33
Joined: 5/2013
Reviews: 9
Reputation: +36
May 10, 2013
Overall: 5 | Service: 5 | Selection: 7 | Prices: 7
I use to go to a GNC located in Lockport NY, and I loved this place. I got the know the employees and they would greet me personally when I walked through the door. I would end up having conversations with them and what should have been a 5 minute visit then turned into 30 minutes! I moved to Syracuse NY I started going to the local GNC here. I noticed the employees were teenagers with their sleeves rolled up. I remember walking in one time and the employee was behind the counter with his face down in a workout magazine. After standing at the counter for a while I said "excuse me, do you carry ....." he looked up and pointed to the left and put his face back down into the magazine. Now I understand customer service and I am huge fan of it. I like to be greeted and asked the simple question of "can I help you find something?" ....but these teens at this location went beyond what I was comfortable with. I would ask for a certain product and they would say "you use that crap?" ....other times I would walk in grab what I need, place it on the counter and they would say that another brand would work better because they tried it. Well, you don't know what works best for someone else and how do you know if I have been having great results with it so far?!? If you want to pose the question as "have you used this before, how have your results been ?" ...then thats fine...I quickly learned what was happening though...I once gave in and asked what brand are you referring to that would work better and of course it was the GNC brand. I understand companies try to push their own product for the better profit. But when I told the associate that GNC protein didn't work well for me because I was lactose interolerant he returned with "is that a disease?" Also seems like the younger associates seem to finish up with describing most of the supplements with ".....and this pro bodybuilder uses it". Supplements are ingested in your body...and the best thing you can tell me about a certain product is that "Jay Cutler" takes this product! I guess that means then I should be too! The only thing I do like about GNC is that most of the locations have a fridge in the back to keep cold protein drinks on hand, which is helpful when you're at the mall for 2 hours. It has been 3-4 years since I have stepped inside a GNC.
1 of 1 found this helpful.

jjmeat

Joined: 1/2010
Reviews: 2
Reputation: 0
February 16, 2013
Overall: 5 | Service: 6 | Selection: 6 | Prices: 4
just wanted to give a big thank you to the fine people at GNC.com for double charging me and causing me alot of grief with my bank account. they did however have everything I wanted in stock and shipped rather quickly, but i still believe if every other site I order from can get my billing straight then they should as well.
0 of 0 found this helpful.

Galloway

Age: 26
Joined: 2/2013
Reviews: 4
Reputation: +15
February 6, 2013
Overall: 4 | Service: 7 | Selection: 7 | Prices: 2
I am a former associate of GNC. I'm aware of the pressure that the employees are under to make sales. And everyone evaluation that they push products that make them money are correct. It's unfortunate, but true. HOWEVER. Associates do undergo a very extensive training. So if you do happen to "buddy up" to one of them and they give you the real information of products it can be very beneficial. The associates have tried and sampled a large majority of the supps in the store. And reps constantly give them products to try out. Once again, if you can find one who will be HONEST with you it's a win. But their prices are horrible unless you go and buy on a closeout item. I've picked up some really good protein that was due to expire in a few months for 1/4th of the price. Try to go at the start of a month, during gold card. Or at the very end. That's when they do the "rotation" or mark down items that will expire soon. Aside from that, you're throwing away some good money, I say get your information there. And buy online. They do have the "GNC Guarantee" however. If you buy ANYTHING from them. Keep the receipt and if it doesn't work within 30 days. Return it and get your money back, even if you're on the end of the cycle. The associate has to honor it even if you bring an empty bottle within 30 days. I'm unsure of the ordering process and guarantee for the online store.
7 of 7 found this helpful.

grow78

Joined: 6/2012
Reputation: +13
June 25, 2012
Overall: 0 | Service: 1 | Selection: 3 | Prices: 0
Never ordered form GNC, but I'm very experenced with their local stores. They are a business that is designed to MAKE MONEY!!! The employes are trained to sell what makes the most margins, not the stuff that will help the costumer make gains. I've had to stop sending my clients to our local GNC store because they would get loaded up with stuff that wont help them and then quit working out because they weren't getting any ware. Plus, they spent all their money at GNC so they couldn't afford enough training sessions with me. Another local shop has provided myself and all my clients with better service, better prices, better products, better everything.
1 of 2 found this helpful.

Peanut16

Age: 21
Joined: 2/2012
Reputation: -4
February 12, 2012
Overall: 3 | Service: 10 | Selection: 6 | Prices: 1
Here's the deal with GNC. If you are fresh off a brand new paycheck, and just dying to use it all because you have nothing better to do and you love the feeling of buyer's remorse, then maybe go to GNC. Honestly though, I think the dietary selection of the Olive Garden menu is even a little bit better quality than the rubbish that they have in GNC. Granted, there are some pretty solid employees there, like this guy that is frequently working at the store in the Hulen Mall in Fort Worth, TX. He is kind of a darker guy and is sitting at a solid 8% body fat. Part of me thinks that he isn't taking the things that they sell at GNC, but I could just be under-utilizing their products completely. If I were any normal person that may be reading this review, I'd just take my hard-earned money somewhere else. You may as well just start a paypal account and send your money to some stranger.
2 of 7 found this helpful.