Protein Bars Reviews

By: Quest

Overall Score   How is this Calculated?

Ranks #1 of 29 (better than 100%) in
Protein > Protein Bars

Protein Bars is a Protein Bar manufactured by Quest. It is a quick, conveinient source of protein and commonly used as a meal replacement. The additional protein can help increase muscle mass as well as promote fat loss.

August 27, 2015

Protein bars can be helpful in keeping your macros on track and aiding in giving you a quick hit of protein and some other nutrients when you hit those occasional hunger pang walls. Unfortunately, man bars on today's market are loaded with excessive sugars, useless gelatin fillers, and bad carbs that aren't the best things for the avid fitness buff. Thankfully, Quest Protein bars come to the rescue by providing users with a tasty, healthier, more fitness friendly option among protein snacks.

I myself am not an overly frequent consumer of protein bars primarily because I prefer to get the vast majority of my protein needs from more wholesome food sources. Still, having these bars on hand, as well as other protein supplements, is well worth the investment when trying to keep your protein requirements in check. The fact that quest bars come in so many delectable flavors only makes it that more joyous and Quest has been my choice of protein bars for a long time now.

----Ingredient Profile----

One thing to note is that the nutritional information among the bars vary slightly among the different flavors. Therefore, depending on your calorie, fat, protein, and carb needs, you may want to choose your flavors accordingly. I've tried a large majority of the flavors, though not all of them. Refer to the flavor rating system to see my ratings for the flavors I've tried.

The caloric quantity of each bar averages to about 170-200 calories. Again, each flavor has different quantities. I think this is an acceptable calorie amount range considering most of these calories are from protein and carb sources as opposed to refined sugars and unnecessary fluff additives I've seen in other bars.

A quest bar also contains 20-21 grams of protein, which are derived from milk and whey isolate sources. These are most definitely preferred over cheap soy proteins. Also contained in a bar, there is an average of 6-7g of fat, 20-22 carbs, and 17g of fiber. Of the carbs, 3-5 are derived as net carbs coming from the sugar alcohols and fiber source. In all, these nutritional statistics do fine by me, provided most of my other macros and micros come from the rest of my diet.

Lastly, I will note that the bars don't have any unnecessary artificial additives and they are sweetened with stevia.

Again, refer to my flavor rating system grades I submitted for scores on the flavors that I've used. As for a direct opinion, I can honestly say that these are one of, if not the best tasting brand of protein bars I've had. They are not too sweet or bland, and some have a pleasant nutty complimentary taste. I will say that the texture is a bit tough. Line6reed described it best, it's like laffy taffy, but personally I didn't find it overly unpleasant. Just be sure you've got some milk for something to wash it down with. Me personally, I usually ate these bars with some milk because I found it to be most satisfying and it made the texture a little softer. A couple times I would heat these in the microwave for about 10 seconds to give the texture some extra softening when I could. This made the bar softer but also dangerously hot, so use caution if you plan on trying this.\

On average, I would consume about 2 or 3 of these in the course of the week, maybe more if need be. I would try too limit my consumption to only one a day should I needed one. There were only a few occasions I had to consume more than one, but that was usually due to times where I knew it would be a while before I could eat my next meal. I preferred to consume them around mid morning, or perhaps in the early morning to compliment breakfast if it were my pre-workout meal.

When talking about effectiveness, I am going to gauge my score based on how it compares to other bars I've tried and how it meets my expectations based on what I desire from it. I give quest nutrition bars a solid 9 out of 10. Unlike other bars I've used like met-rx and gnc, these bars provide high quality proteins and carbs derived from more favorable sources including milk and whey protein isolates and gut friendly fiber. These bars provided me with a delicious way to help give me a quick protein fix without having to derail my nutritional intake quality by giving me unfavorable shots of refined sugars, gelatin, and soy. They also helped to keep those annoying hunger pangs at bay on those cutting and calorie restriction phases I would have on occasion when trying to shed body fat. Lastly, the lower active carb content is great for anyone on a carb restriction diet. In summary, quest bars did the trick and provided you've got a good diet, they'll help you keep your protein and carb requirements in check.

Despite their efficacy, a 12 count box will set you back somewhere between 25-30 dollars. I think the value ultimately boils down to how often you intend on using the bars. As I stated earlier, I try to limit my consumption of the bars to about 2 to 3 bars in a week to help stretch the supply out through the month. If you intend on using these bars sparingly, which is more favorable, then I would think that this is a fair value considering the quality of the bars themselves. Just don't go crazy and ensure your getting more of your needs from your diet.

----Side Effects----

Salivation when you unwrap a mint chocolate chunk bar ;)

in conclusion, with all the protein bars on today's market, Quest bars had won the ballet as my personal favorite. The high quality protein and carb sources with fiber can compliment any typical fitness enthusiast's diet plan without having to worry about all the unwanted sugar and soy most other bars have. Whether you use them as an occasional snack or meal replacement, I recommend implementing quest bars as a choice brand among options as I believe they are tastier, healthier, and more satisfying.

• Helps Keep Macros On Track
  • S'mores: 8/10
  • Coconut Cashew: 9/10
  • Banana Nut Muffin: 9/10
  February 28, 2015

I'm going to start off by saying that this review might not be popular, it probably won't be received well by some, and could possible make some people redo their diets. With all that being said I'm going to lay out the facts and let you decide what you think of this bar.

----Ingredient Profile----5/10
Protein blend (whey protein isolate, milk protein isolate), isomalto-oligosaccharides, almonds, water, natural flavors, sea salt, lo han guo, sucralose.

Easy enough to break down; All isolate grade protein, great start, almonds, water, natural favors and sea salt are again still looking amazing. Lo han qua is a herb popular in China so still all good.

Well lets see what did we leave out? Oh isomalto-oligosaccharides(or IMOs for short). What are these things you might be asking yourself; I'll tell you. They are a MAN MADE FAKE fiber which funny enough Quest is in the middle of a lawsuit because of, but that's a whole another story. Basically the problem with IMOs are that they as mostly unable to be broken down by the body. So this means technically you are getting ZERO actual fiber from a Quest bar. Also on the flip side these IMOs can cause bloating and inflammation to happen in the body which in turn can lead to a decrease in fat burning and muscle building.

Taste is obviously the main selling point of these bars. They are simply one of the top tasting bars on the market

In terms of filling you up and being a good snack I suppose it does do its job, however because of the above listed side effects I'll let you guys decide how effect it really is

$25 for a box of 12 bars is pretty much standard for a protein bar

----Side Effects----
Personally I did notice a lot of bloating after eating these bars and I know a respectable amount of others who would say the same thing

Ok all in all Quest bars are almost the perfect protein bar but because of the IMOs I really can't say they are anything more than average at best. I will state that some people can handle IMOs better than others so before some of you come running to defend Quest I will say that. However for myself being bloated just to enjoy a protein bar just is not worth it.
  • IMOs
  • Bloating
  February 20, 2015

Blah Blah Blah, writing this every time is going to get old isn't it? Ok, MMA since high-school, competitor and instructor. Former Certified Personal Trainer though NASM and ACE. Owned my own online supplement store (past tense). Currently military and I eat paleo due to a gluten allergy. I have tried most of the flavors of Quest bars and with a few exceptions, they all taste good. (Avoid PB cup and cinnamon swirl)

----Ingredient Profile----
Ok, so this is the coolest thing about these bars, not only are they high in some quality protein isolate, they also have 17g of fiber! That's crazy. On top of that, they are low sugar (1g) and still manage to be one of the best tasting protein bars around. Oh yeah, and gluten free, no poo..even the cookies and cream ones! How do they do it!? No, seriously...I don't know.

Taste is good. Get the cookie dough ones, heat them up (seriously, sit on them if you have to, far btter warm), ENJOY. I mean how many other protein bars taste good AND have 1g of sugar? That being said, they are a little gritty, likely from the almonds and the fiber in the bars. Also, the brownie ones are good as are the cookies and cream. I'd recommend drinking some water after eating one.

It's a protein bar. What do you want? Steroid gain? Too bad. You get a good meal replacement with around 130 net calories that fill me up between meals and doesn't make me fat. WIN!

On the pricey side. On the other hand, whey protein ISOLATE. It's pricey stuff, so realistically these are a good deal at around $2.50 a piece. Tough to beat the quality on these.

----Side Effects----
Wanting to eat MOAR. Yeah, I spelled that wrong on purpose, bite me...or bite a Quest bar. Seriously...why are you still reading this? Go get some!

Best tasting low sugar protein bar on the market. Despite being a little pricey, they are worth it. Get some. I have not yet tried the cheesecake protein bars (I hear good things), so I can't compare them to Quest bars yet. I'll put up a review when (if) my order gets in.

April 8, 2014

These are by far my favorite protein bars. Taste, profile, and variety it all adds up to one hell of a great product. Lately they have come under fire for supposedly mislabeling certain ingredients. However, I have never had a bad experience with quest and for that reason I will continue to buy them. Now lets dive into the review.

I had the double chocolate chunk flavor to review and it was very good. To me it tasted like a softer version of a famous amos cookie. Now I have tried pretty much every flavor of quest and the flavor that I continue to buy regardless of price(good job quest) is cookie dough. For the cookie dough flavor it does not taste like a protein bar, this is a hard thing to do, as some of the proteins and ingredients tend to overpower other flavors. So for taste quest bars are by far superior to others.

To start I can tell you that there is a good amount of fiber in these just by the fact of how well I can digest these and other foods throughout the day. With other protein bars, such as GNC protein bars which are filled with tons of sugar alcohols and palm oil and fillers, which upset my stomach. Quest is filled with all good ingredients; they only use whey and milk protein isolate and also use stevia as a sweetener. Also they are low carb just from the amount of fiber they include. What more can you ask for in a bar?

This is where most supplements take a hit, price. Quest bars normally run in the mid $20- the mid $30 which can be expensive, but when you take into account all the good ingredients they put in then the price is justified. Personally I buy these for $24 a box on amazon unless I can find a better deal. Pricey yes but quality is what keeps me coming back.

These are simply the best bars on the market. Now other companies are trying to get as close to the ingredients of quest as they can, and I think quest has started a great trend for all protein bars. Why not include only high quality ingredients and not crap fillers? Quest has a winner on their hands and if you ever get the chance to try these you wont be let down.
  February 9, 2014

Everyone loves Quest Bars. They are probably one of the most popular protein bars on the market right now, and for good reason. Around 20g protein, 20g fiber, and 200-something calories, gluten-free, no sugar, and just about any other bases covered.

Effectiveness 9/10: So with all that in its macros, effectiveness is almost perfect. The only way it could improve is either a bump up to more protein or adding in vitamins and minerals like a few other bars out there.

Value 7/10: The going rate seems to be around 25 bucks for 12 bars. That's pretty decent and competitive with other high protein bars. The best deals I have seen (outside of trade shows mentioned below), is when GNC runs their 25% or 30% off items online. At 30% off, you can actually score these for under 20 bucks a box. 2.99 shipping there doesn't add too much to the overall cost, either.

Taste 6/10: Here is what brings my overall rating down to a 7. I have tried the cookie dough, chocolate brownie, and the newest flavor, cookies and cream. Cookie dough and cookies and cream I would rate around an 8 or 9/10 as far as protein bars are concerned. The cookies and cream is a lot closer to the cookie dough than I would have expected. Chocolate brownie is like a 4/10. It is exactly like the chocolate powerbars everyone used to have and nobody liked. If you think chocolate brownie is an amazing flavor, you should probably get your tastebuds checked, lol.

My biggest knock on all of the quest bars is the sodium content. I can actually taste the salt in the bars, especially in the cookies and cream. You get used to it after a while, but 300mg sodium in what is otherwise a healthy bar needs to be rethought. I just can't see why there would be so much salt for flavors that are supposed to taste sweet.

Summary: Great profile, could use added vitamins, I hate paying full price for them, dislike the salt content.

Good luck on finding your favorite flavor!
  • High Sodium
  January 24, 2014

Hi SR!

One of the first things I learnt about on the site was MACROS - shout out to Sdunlimited for asking me about that because he set me on the right path.

So, I have to admit when I did my first analysis of my daily intake of nutrients my Macro Ratio looked like this: 65c, 20p, 15f.

Clearly this was not good and partly explained why I was literally showing no results from all of the work I was putting in at the gym; sure I was loosing weight, and felt stronger, and healthier but, I didn't look much different than before.

I have to say, maintaining a good or proper balance of nutrients still gives me trouble because this stuff isn't easy to do on a budget. So, I turned to protein bars for help.

I tried two boxes (12 pack) of Quest Protein Bars:

Double Chocolate Chunk
Coconut Cashew

Their Profiles are slightly different.

Double Chocolate Chunk:

Calories 170 (60f)
24g c (17g fiber)
20g p
6g f

The Double Chocolate Chunk - 6 out of 10 on taste; not a fan of the texture but, it wasn't bad at all.

The Coconut Cashew - 0 out of 10 on taste; did not like the texture - it was sort of like grainy, dried out peanut butter that didn't taste good.

Both bars took a lot of chewing and my jaw hurt at the end. I took to drinking lots of water while eating these.

There are lots of other flavors so I'm sure there are ones I may enjoy more than these.

SIDE NOTE: under side effects I have to say my teeth were always a touch sensitive after eating these. I'm not sure why.

Both bars are filling, have a great balance of nutrients and really helped me hit my macros. I used 1 bar in between lunch and my evening meal, and at night, "if" I felt hungry after I had my post-workout meal. I think they're good at helping you stay full and I never felt like I wanted to eat for at 2-3 hours after eating one. One unexpected component of that is well, as I wasn't so thrilled with the taste, they pretty much killed my cravings but, on the flip side, I didn't look forward to eating them either.

The bars cost around $25 for a box of 12, or a little over $2 for one. I think that's a reasonable price; certainly it's not cheap but, it's protein and why would quality protein be cheap?

These are quality protein bars which are low calorie and filling, which can really help you with your macros, nutrient intake and overall diet. It would be great if they were cheaper but, I would recommend them - not the coconut cashew!!!

I've been looking for something of similar quality that is cheaper and which hopefully tastes better.
  • Texture
  • Not The Best Taste
  December 19, 2013

*Alright, to start this off, I know about the whole controversy going on right now with Quest Bars, but as I see it, you're innocent until proven guilty. So this review will be based off of my experience and the assumption that Quest Bars are indeed legit.*

A big shout out to Quest for sending me a box of Quest Bars. I've used these before, and have not found a bar that comes close. This has been reviewed several times already, so I'll keep this short.

Macros(CCCookie Dough)- 8f, 21c(17f), 21p.

The first thing people notice about Quest bars when they look at the profile is the amount of fiber. At 17f per bar, I may as well just eat a branch lol. There is very little to complain about here.

This is for the Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough flavor.

My god, out of all the Quest bar flavors I have tried, the cookie dough is by far my favorite. I've gone out of my way to buy 2 more boxes of these and am seriously not tired of them at all. I tastes almost exactly like cookie dough, without all the sugar, and is a bit tougher.

Due to all the fiber, the texture is a bit much. It requires a bit more chewing than your average protein bar. I personally like it, but some have complained about it. The plus side to that is you have the taste in your mouth much longer than a normal protein bar.

I have tried many other flavors, but I'm reviewing the flavor they sent me... coconut cashew and the white-chocolate raspberry are great as well.

Well when you used these as they are supposed to be used, they are perfect. As a quick MRP, they are second-to-none. One bar will keep you full for hours. These bars are also a great way to get in fiber if you have trouble getting that in through your regular diet. They will def. help keep you more regular too.

The 21 grams of protein are... well, just 21 grams of protein.

The only drawback to these bars are that they are better suited for a cut, as they will suppress your appetite. If you are trying to add size through quality calories, you will have a hard time eating more if you eat one of these.

You can get these around $2-$2.50 per bar. Seems very fair to me since there are very little undesirable ingredients in them. Not the cheapest, but still very much worth it.

Quest bars are the closest thing to perfect when it comes to protein bars. They lack high sugar and artificial crap that most of us look to avoid when we eat protein bars, and they fill you up to the point where you feel like you ate a bag of twigs. Try these, and you'll never use another bar again.
      December 14, 2013

Quest was generous enough to provide myself and the rest of the ER team the opportunity to try out their protein bars.

The texture of these bars is similar to a laffy taffy. I have tried may protein bars and initially when I first unwrapped it I was kind of nervous. Most protein bars I have tried in the past has more of a texture of a granola bar or brownie. Chewing these bars also gives your jaw muscles a good workout.

The flavor I received was cinnamon roll. This flavor tasted very amazing reminded me of a fresh cinnamon bun. The flavor was the perfect combination sweet and cinnamon. I found that the longer I chewed the bar the more the more pronounced the flavor became. Other users stated that they put the bars into the microwave I never tried that but I'm sure heating these bad boys up would enhance the flavor.

Quest bars are perfect snacks, they are healthy, and provide you with 20grams of protein and 17grams of fiber. I found these bars very useful to curb my appetite in-between meals. It blew my mind that something so tasty and filling could only be 170 calories. I did not notice an increase in recovery or an increase in muscle, but I don't think that is what these bars are designed to do.

This is America and you get what you pay for. The price on these are a little high at $25 per box of 12 this comes out to a little over $2 per bar. with the quality ingredients and amazing taste I cannot argue with the price. I would love to see the boxes come with more bars just so I wouldn't have to buy three plus boxes to have a month supply.

I'm very impressed with quest bars I enjoy the taste and quality ingredients. I definitely will continue to purchase these to use when I'm on the go and need a quality food source. Quest has set the standard for the way a meal replacement bar should be.
    • Texture
      December 6, 2013

Big thanks to Quest for sending out a box of their protein bars. I requested the coconut cashew flavor and boy was I glad I did!

Profile: 10/10

Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size: 1 Bar (60 g)
    Servings per Container: 12
    Calcium 4%
    Iron 4%
    Phosphorus 2%
    Magnesium 2%
    *Daily value not established.
    Other Ingredients: Protein blend (whey protein isolate, milk protein isolate), isomalto-oligosaccharides (100% natural prebiotic fiber), almonds, water, erythritol, coconut, cashews, sea salt, natural flavors, lo han guo, and stevia.Isomalto-Oligosaccharides are 100% natural prebiotic fibers derived from plant sources.Contains almonds and milk derived ingredients.

Do I really need to say anything here? lol
    The profile is as good as it gets for a protein bar. No processed crap, cashews, coconut, wpi/mpi and a ton of fiber.
    20g of protein, 17g of fiber and only 2grams of sugar.
    This is what a protein bar profile should look like. Two emphatic thumbs up!

Well its a protein bar with a ton of fiber, a great profile with wpi/mpi and no processed junk to upset your stomach, so right there the effectiveness is far and away better than most protein bars Ive ever tried.
    Honestly though this little gem is perfect when you are in a pinch and need some quick wholesome nutrition. Surprisingly these 170 calorie bars kept me full for a very long time and really helped to fill in gaps in my eating schedule. Id attribute the feeling of satiety from the massive dose of fiber in each bar. No you wont put on muscle or get a noticeable boost in recovery from these bars and that is not really the intent when using a protein bar, but they truly serve their purpose better than any other bar Ive ever tried.
    All in all these bars are perfect for a quick snack and a nice shot of protein, they dont give any digestion issues and for such a small bar they really fill you up. Again two thumbs up...

Taste: 100000/10
    I love anything with coconut so Im sure Im being a bit biased here, but man these things are so freaking good!
    Throw it in the microwave and its like eating a sinful dessert.
    Its very hard not to jet through the box in like 3 days because they are so good. Fair warning, DO NOT eat more than a couple a day or they will 'clear you out'. I can only imagine the other flavors are just as good if not better. Awesome.

They run around $2-$2.50 per bar.
    All things considered in terms of ingredients and the convenience factor its a very fair deal. When compared with the competition, Quest Bars are far superior in everyway, including price.
    Do the comparisons for yourself and you will see the value in these bars.

I very highly recommend these bars, get some you wont be disappointed.
      December 3, 2013

Thanks to the Quest Nutrition Team and Petey for letting me try two varieties of the Quest Protein Bars! I was sent both the chocolate peanut butter and the banana nut flavors, for the review I will focus on the CPB flavor, however I will mention my experience with the banana nut in my tastes and overall comments in the bottom.

My work schedule is pretty hectic, so I usually always have some type of meal replacement/protein bars on hand. In my opinion there is not much out there that compares to the Quest product, the CPB flavor tastes good, it filled me up and stayed with me throughout the day. I definitely have a sweet tooth, so the bars helped keep the chocolate cravings to a minimum.

Protein Blend (Whey Protein Isolate, Milk Protein Isolate), Isomalto-Oligosaccharides* (Prebiotic Fiber), Peanut Butter, Water, Erythritol, Cocoa, Peanuts, Natural Flavors, Sea Salt, Lo Han Guo, Stevia.
    Nutrition Facts: Serving Size 1 Bar (60g) Calories 160 Calories from Fat 45 *Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
    Amount/Serving %Daily Value* Total Fat 5g 7% Saturated Fat 1g 5% Trans Fat 0g Cholesterol 5mg 1% Sodium 270mg 11% Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0% Magnesium 4% Phosphorus 8%
    Amount/Serving %Daily Value* Total Carbohydrate 25g 8% Dietary Fiber 17g 68% Sugars 1g Sugar Alcohol 5g Protein 20g Calcium 2% Iron 6%
    CONTAINS: Peanuts, Almonds and Milk Derived Ingredients. Only 3g net carbs (and they're all from nuts - not sugar).

Effectiveness (8/10):
    Quest bars work, they fill you up, provide the extra protein that my body needs and is an easy, quick meal replacement. I really noticed how it kept me full throughout the day, in fact when I eat one before working out in the evening I notice my appetite is really decreased. I recommended the bars to several girl friends who have been dieting and working out after their doctors told them both they needed to up their protein intake. I have said this before on another review; I think many women start cutting calories by eating fruits and vegetables and less protein. The quest bars are a great way to incorporate more protein in your diet, easy to carry with you and it almost feels like having a dessert!

Taste (8/10):
    The chocolate peanut butter is good! The texture is almost like a very dense brownie or cookie, a little chewy but otherwise just as good as or better than most bars I have tried. I did notice a strange after taste, but nothing to awful with the CPB flavor. I did not care for the banana nut muffin flavor at all; it seemed to have this weird chemical taste making it the least favorite of the varieties I have tried.

Value: (8/10):
    After looking on several sites you can find the bars between $25.00 and $30.00, so each bar would be around $2.30 (box of 12). If you are using the bars as meal replacements then I believe it is a pretty good value, it is a quality product, one which is worth the money.

Overall: (8/10): There is no doubt in my mind Quest bars are a good, quality product. I believe the additional protein in my diet is helping me build more muscle, and achieve an overall "tone" look. I look and feel leaner, and honestly believe that they are helping me achieve my overall fitness goals. Obviously I like this product or would not be recommending it to friends! I did not like the banana nut muffin flavor; however after trying one bar my girlfriend proclaimed it was delicious! I will stick with the chocolate flavors, they seem to taste the best to me. I would highly recommend this product anyone looking to incorporate more protein in their diet, wanting to cut calories or needing a good meal replacement bar. Thank you Quest for producing such a quality product!

• Some Flavours Need To Be Warmed Up

Copyright © 2015 All rights reserved. All trademarks are property of their respective owners.