This product has been reported as discontinued.

Muscle Marinade Reviews

By: Purus Labs

Overall Score   How is this Calculated?

Muscle Marinade is a Pre-Workout manufactured by Purus Labs. It is designed to help provide a pre-training advantage by increasing mental focus, muscle performance, endurance and blood flow. This creates an environment optimal for increasing muscle mass and losing body fat.

This product has been reported as discontinued.
INGREDIENTS (22)
THIS PRODUCT

6.0g
CATEGORY AVG

2.1g

Molecule that supports ATP production in the body and increases lean body mass, strength, power, and stamina.

THIS PRODUCT

2.5g
CATEGORY AVG

2.0g

Active metabolite of choline that increases power output and strength, decreases soreness, and supports creatine production in the body.

COMPARE SIMILAR

nickyfondz
  January 4, 2014

This product has been reviewed a ton of times, I know that. I just couldn't resist after finishing it up. I purchased it off of eBay for around $40, which is the best price I could find. You really can't find it too many other places since it is discontinued.

Price: 8/10
$40 is a decent price being that it is discontinued and you really can't find it anywhere anymore. When supply is down, price is up. You can still find it, but there are not many left.

Mixability: 6/10
Didn't have any problems with mixing it. It mixed pretty decently, but you need a little extra water after you finish it to make sure you get EVERYTHING.

Taste: 7/10
I love good tasting PWOs. This one was decent, but definitely not something I was excited about drinking. I had the cherry limeade flavor and it tasted different than many other cherry limeade products, but still not bad. The smell is pretty bad when you open the container, but it doesn't taste like that so don't worry.

Energy: 10/10
The energy on this stuff is unreal. You'll get a great workout in every time you take it. You have a fairly clean energy that will last your entire workout and then some. This is probably Marinade's best and most important quality. You may notice some crash a few hours later due to the 1,3 dimethylamylamine. You may also notice a weird feeling after taking it. Not sure if it is the 1,3 crash or if it is something else. Not necessarily bad, but a little odd the first time you take it.

Ingredient profile: 9/10
The ingredient profile is top notch. Some may say that it is a kitchen sink PWO, but it does have the ingredients that are necessary in PWOs. 6 grams of creatine is more than enough even if you aren't taking another creatine supplement. It has betanine and beta alinine, which are both important. BCAA complex is present, which not all PWOs have. You will notice that is had "1.3.7-trimethylxanthine." This is simply caffeine. It also has "2-Amino-4-methylhexane," which is 1,3 dimethylamylamine. These two are present for a combined 380mg. Most believe that it is split 300mg caffeine and 80mg 1,3 but there is no real proof. The rest of the ingredients are for electrolytes and vitamins, which are good but maybe not needed in a PWO. 1,3 dimethylamylamine or "2-Amino-4-methylhexane" is under investigation by the FDA. They believe it to be a drug-like product, but I just think it makes for a good PWO :)

Yes, the price is high. $40 for 27 servings isn't a great price, but it is also not a terrible price. When you take into account that this product isn't being made anymore and how good it works, I think this is a great price. The benefit of the product simply drives the value regardless of price.

I would definitely recommend Muscle Marinade. It is the single best PWO that I have ever used. I wish you luck in finding it, but if you do you will love it. Great product. RIP.

Brb, going to buy more!
  • Weird Feeling Post Workout
Gkeezy
  October 3, 2013

So its not often that I give such generous marks to a pre workout, but this was just so bomb diggity that I had to give it high marks. This is the first pwo that I will hands down say, I would marry if I wasnt so much into girls... anywho lets get down to business:

Purus Labs has made a few products that I absolutely loved, but this one I went basically on the instinct of all the other reviews people have posted.

The problem I have with PWO is once you keep taking them, week by week the energy and the hype decreases which makes you add extra scoops just to feel the crack like feeling again. This is NOT the case with MM. Just hands down fantastic energy.
INGREDIENTS:

Magnesium (as magnesium succinate) 50mg
Zinc (as zinc methionine) 50mg
Selenium (as selenium citrate) 90mcg
Chloride 180mg

ATP Resynthesis/Intracelluar Carnosine-Anserine Boosting/Myocellular Power & Endurance Complex 10500mg

Creatine Monohydrate (6000mg); Betanine Anhydrous (2500mg); Beta Alanine (2000mg)

Net Protein Accretion Stimulating/Anti-Catabolic & Insulinogenic/ Controlled Branch Chain-Essential Amino Acid Complex 5994mg

L-Leucine (116mg); L-Lysine (930mg); L-Phenylalanine (930mg); L-Throenine (882mg); L-Valine (690mg); L-Histidine (654mg); L-Isoleucine (606mg); L-Methionine (186mg)

Controlled Sympathomimetic Psychoactive Adrenal Stimulant Complex 380mg
1.3.7-trimethylxanthine; 2-amino-4-methythexane

Electrolyte Balancing/ Vasodilatory
Supporting/Intramuscular Hyper-Hydration Complex 410mg
Sodium (120mg); Chloride (180mg); Potassium Phosphate (60mg); Magnesium Succinate (50mg)

Cortisol Reducing/ Lipid Peroxidation Inhibiting/ Sercolemma Disruption Blunting/ Antioxidant-Energy-Health Complex 1222mg

Ascorbic-Acid (vitamin C) (1000mg); d-alphatocopherol (vitamin E, natural form) (165mg); Selenium Citrate (90mcg) Zinc; FolicAcid (400mcg); Pyridoxine HCL (6mg); Cyanoccobalamin (B12) (30mcg)

This is a PWO but it has BCAA, Cartisol reducers, electrolytes blend, AA blend, fantastic all around profile for a product.
=================================================
TASTE: Cherry Limade was the flavor that I got, I have to say that I found it a bit dull and bitter, def not the best tasting PWO ive ever had, but it was doable. You just had to suck it up and down it, like an ugly girl on a blind date.
=================================================
EFFECTIVENESS: 9/10 - I would have given this a 10/10, the only problem with it is it might be a bit too strong. Let me get into the details.

ENERGY: 10/10 - Wow oh my wow. I did just one scoop. I knew the kind of clean energy this gave me with just one scoop, sometimes it felt a bit too much, so I was not inclined to double the scoops. Not only the energy but I think it gave me a bit more focus during my routine.

FOCUS: 8/10 - The focus was there. I felt like I had tunnel vision and would move from one exercise to the next without having to check my phone, or switch my music. It was pretty intense. Def welcomed feeling.

PUMP: 5/10 - The pump was not that great. When I threw it in with a Test booster like Stak or Test then I felt a sick pump, otherwise it was visible within the first 20 minutes, but then quickly subsided.

ENDURANCE: 10/10 - Wow just wow. I used this when I did circuit training mostly and I felt like I could go on forever, without having to stop, drink water and breathe. It was pretty intense. However, the only downside to this was it made me very dehydrated and I would have to stop the routine and get water regularly.

DOWNSIDE: 7/10 - This will make you sweat. You will sweat balls. Its the kind of sweat one would feel waiting nervously for a drug dealer to give you a heroine needle in some abandoned park late at night. You were covered with it. Also it is hard to stay hydrated. I felt like my mouth always had the cotton mouth, and I always needed more and more water, which made me pee more and pee, and would interrupt my workout by casual bathroom pee runs.
=================================================
OVERALL: 9/10 - This hands down was the best preworkout I have taken. The energy was clean and sick every single day for all 27 days. (27 servings). Great endurance and focus was incredible. The price of this is around $29, which is not too hefty when speaking about a great pwo product.

I would highly recommend this product to stim junkies, this will definitely flip your world upside. Just how we all felt at the season finale of Breaking Bad.
  • Meth Like Energy
  • More Sweat
  • Uncontrollable Sweating
  • Tears When The Tub Ends
tommy777
  August 26, 2013

I decided to buy a tub after a friend of mine was telling me how amazing of a pwo this was. I usually tend to not be too impressed, but Muscle Marinade was definitely impressive.

Overall: 9

Throughout the whole tub of muscle marinade (MM) I had great, intense workouts. Going into the gym I would have great energy and be extremely focused on throwing the weights around. My lifts increased upon using MM, I was knocking out more reps on my latter sets. Another aspect I really liked about MM is that when in the gym I felt almost invincible.. like I was so much stronger than usual. Overall, I was very pleased with MM.

Effectiveness: 9

I found MM to be extremely effective. It would kick in really quickly and I would have great energy and focus all throughout my workouts. I did not experience any nausea or upset stomach except when I took it without eating anything that day.. .not the best decision.

Taste: 8
With the first formula of MM the taste was terrible.... but since the new formulated pwo the taste is much better and more than bearable. OI did not mind the taste of MM at all. It is definitely not as good as Bullnox but for how effective it is, I would drink much worse tasting pwo.

Price: 8
When I bought this product it was around $40.00. I am pretty sure you can find it cheaper than that now. Even at $40.00 it was for sure worth the price.

Conclusion:
I would definitely use MM again. IMO it is one of the best PWOs on the market today.
  • Good Pumps
    inyamaboi
      July 16, 2013

ahhh its been so long since my last review, life's been hectic but so has my workouts! Lets get into this...

WHY???
    -------
    -I have known about muscle marinade for a couple of years, and i have heard many positive reviews and i must say any company that can keep a preworkout still original after many years is doing something right, unlike the countless reformulations of the biggest supplement companies (cough cough BSN and MuscleTech cough...) I only bought this because of the ingredient profile, it seemed like there is too much in a scoop that it would never be effective...

Ingredient profile: 10
    Simply look at the previous reviews to find the complete ingredient list and nutritional values.
    But here are some of the ingredients and readings that brought smiles to my muscles lols:
    *0 cals and carbs
    *6g creatine mono, 2.5 betaine Anhydrous, 2g beta alanine
    *Amino acids
    *electrolyte complex etc...

Basically too much goodness to mention, and best of all every ingredient worked in harmony, i have never had such a complex preworkout or supplement! #TrueStoryBro

Personal usage: 1 scoop 30 mins before i hit the gym in 12oz water

Taste: Fresh fruit- 7.5
    This wasn't the worst tasting pre, it is rather enjoyable and it surprisingly tasted like fruit lol, its kinda sweet.. but it doesn't have an awkward aftertaste, rather a pleasant fruity one. After all the bad taste complaints i was expecting to drink liquid garbage... but seriously, for the numerous ingredients it tasted good! No complaints here.

Mixability: 7
    MM mixed OK, there was never chunks but there was always a lil bit left at the bottom of my shaker which made it rather sandy no matter how much you shaked it, so i drank half shaked some more and drank the remainder, no bitter nasty chunks but it didn't mix perfectly.

Effectiveness: 10
    Wow another 10, yes you see it right. First thing I noticed is that I got a very amped up feeling and not a heart palpitating one, which I enjoy and secondly I am not a fan of beta alanine only preworkouts so it was nice to get a slight beta alanine feel.MM is not too overstimmed to my joy! Every workout was a memorable one, every lift increased gradually, and i mean every exercise from deadlifts to squats, something I have never experienced before since i started bodybuilding. The pumps and vascularity on this are second to non, continual visual improvements really made me keen to push every session harder than the previous. And one last thing to mention there was sustained energy and intensity throughout the entire time i was up in the gym, no crash or some short lasting energy but a constant flow of energy and focus pushed me to my best lifts and workouts! Seriously no faults just pure perfection and not to mention all this in one scoop!

value: 10
    A tub of MM will provide you with 27 servings(scoops) which will cost around $30 which is very affordable and well worth it, because this does replace a closet full of supplements in all honesty. There was no need to add in some creatine or amino acids because i got a sufficient amount from MM which was extra convenient and saved me dough. So it definitely is a steal and a half!

Overall: 10
    Easily the best preworkout i have EVER used, and i have used alot of preworkout formulas and MM beats all of em by miles. 27 of the best workouts in my life in one bottle, how can it not receive a perfect score? I was blown away with improved strength, intensity and insane vascular pumps on a daily basis without any crash at all! It truly is a one scoop wonder! I will be using it again in the near future but for now I'm left with high expectations for RCSS Myo-blitz... But one things for certain i will never forget the first time i used MM(know what i mean lolol)!

Fridge
    • Good Pumps
      DoctorT
        June 10, 2013

Hey all!

I haven't posted in a long while, but I really felt the need to review this stuff!

Muscle Marinade is the first pre-workout I have found that really does live up to the hype. I have tried a few others: Fast Twitch (meh...), AmiNOEnergy (good), Jack3D (horrible-review coming), and MM. I am just about to finish my second container and I will be ordering a third.

Profile: 36 yo, 170 lbs, 6'0" w/ very little body fat

Workout: MadCow 5x5 (3-day power lifting routine)

Other supplements:
      Post workout - ON Whey/ON Casein/Dextrose
      Multi - ON Optimen & Fish oil
      Before bed - ON Casein

Packaging: 6/10 - The container is large, which will lead you to believe that it is pretty full. Wrong, it is barely half full when you open the container. They could cut the container in half and still have plenty of room. Shelf appeal I suppose.

Taste: 6/10 - Honestly, I don't care for the taste of this stuff. But if it works, who cares about the taste!

Mix: 6/10 - MM is a little hard to mix with a cup and spoon. I have had the best results if I mix it and let it sit a few minutes than mix some more.

Effectiveness: 10/10 - The package very clearly states you should only use one level scoop and to not use more than one scoop. I completely agree! More than one scoop would probably put you in the hospital!

Side-effects: 5/10 - If you workout in the early morning, set your alarm clock back 10 minutes because you will need time to poop. (Invest in some quality toilet paper.) Also, take a jug of water, you will probably get some bad cotton-mouth while working out.

Overall experience: 9/10 -
      I workout at 5 am, so I typically take this just as I am leaving the house and it is just starting to hit when I get to the gym 10 minutes later. My workouts have been amazing. I am getting that 1 more rep that we all strive to get on our heavy set. I am the strongest I have ever been:
      Bench: 235lbs x 5 reps
      Squat: 295lbs x 5 reps
      Deadlift: 325lbs x 5 reps (bear-handed)

Even on days I don't feel good, I still get in a pretty good workout with MM. This stuff may actually a little too effective at times. I would highly recommend sticking to your planned routine for the first couple of weeks. I often found myself wanting to add lifts to my workout because I felt so good, but I resisted the temptation in fear of over training.

How would I change the product? I wish they could minimize the side-effects, but I am willing to put up with them because this stuff works for me.

Would I buy it again? Heck yeah, I tell everyone they need to try it just once.
      • Uncontrollable Sweating
      Bailey39
        May 28, 2013

I recently bought this after seeing all the great reviews about it from my local supplement shop for 35 dollars for 27 servings. I finished the tub today actually and am battling crashing while writing this review which doesn't happen that often.

Overall Muscle Marinade is a solid product but with all the stims listed in the ingredients I didn't get massive energy surges or focus that I was anticipating which I will get into more detail later and the taste was not bad but not good and the value was solid. Now to breakdown each category.

Taste: 8.0, I had the Cherry Limeade which was not too strong but not weak and had no chemical taste considering all the stims was a definite plus. It mixed decently but large flakes always floated around and were awkward going down when drinking but not too bothersome(even while in a shaker bottle).

Effectiveness: 7.0, The first time I took this I was super excited after a massive energy rush, crazy tunnel vision and great endurance and overall amazing workout. As the weeks went by the effectiveness plummeted and the feeling of the effectiveness lessened. To gauge the true effectiveness I skipped using this one day and had a terrible workout showing it had an impact but what I look for in a preworkout is something making me feel on the top of the world which this did not produce consistently.

Side Effects: 5.0, I did not have many side effects other than occasional crashing after an intense workout. Also when working out I required more water but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Value 9.0: When they say 27 servings they mean it, and for 35 dollars or a little over a dollar a day it is not a bad deal considering other preworkouts use two or three scoops in a 60 serving container that costs 60 dollars it a great price.

Overall 8.0: I enjoyed using MM but wished it had more of a kick to it.
      • Heavy Crash
      • No Pumps
      • Built A Tolerance Quickly
      cfit2bbig
        February 16, 2013

This will be my second review on SR. Today my review is on Purus Labs' Pre-Workout
      Muscle Marinade.

First off I am really bummed that this product is slowly being pulled from the retail market. I personally think the ensuing ban of yet another harmlessly dosed product(DMAA) is a crock. But I wont get into that here.

I really like Purus Labs for there 'no bull' labelling. I don't have to try to get in touch with a rep to know whats in the product, it is clearly and honestly listed on all of Purus Labs Products. I also really liked Muscle Marinade, but I have some things about it that I would change too.

Just to note Im 5'11" 195 at the beginning of this tub.

Okay review time.

Taste: I found that no matter what I did, add water to thin it out, or use less water to make it more dense the flavor on this always left me with a little chemical(?) taste in my mouth. But when you get a product that doesn't waste dosing on added flavoring and filler, thats what you get!

Value: I know that all over the internet you can find this at a better price and I only paid $36 for it and still thought that was a little much. (Still better than the $60 Msrp)

Initial use: I find that with every supplement that I use, something changes about the way I view the product. Meaning I either don't like it in the beginning and change my mind towards the end or I like it and then don't...you get the idea. With this product I was really stoked in the beginning. Super intense focus and pump. Major focus, like heat seeking missile good. Then about four days in I really wanted to ramp it up because I lost that effect all together. Problem is its already got enough creatine(6g) in it and I really wanted to stick to the suggested ONE SERVING ONLY, to give you the best review possible. :)

Cont. use: I thought that if I used this every other time that I worked out that maybe that focus and pump would come back...it didn't for the most part and if it did it didn't last very long. I guess I have a high tolerance for stims(?) but again I wish that I could have taken another scoop... or two.

Results: ...hmm Im 187lbs now and my body fat is down 3%...pretty sure thats do to the other supps that I am taking and am willing to answer to what those are if asked.

Side effects: No.

Suggestion? Somehow get this product back on the market and add like 1.5g or 2g of creatine and call it good.

Thanks guys!

Pros:
       Cons:
        • Hard To Stay Hydrated
        • No Vascularity
        • Built A Tolerance Quickly
        eszamiel
          February 8, 2013

I was really impressed with D-Pol from Purus Labs so I decided to give Muscle Marinade a shot because I'm always searching for a great PWO and I like to switch them up so I don't build up a tolerance to any specific one. I was quite satisfied with my purchase but will probably continue looking for the one PWO that really knocks my socks off.

PROFILE -------------- (7)

Overall this product seems to include all of the basic and essential ingredients of a solid PWO. Per 1 scoop, it contains a good dose of creatine monohydrate, essential branch amino acids, stimulants, and a mix of ingredients for a sufficient pump. Compared to Platinum Pre which I am halfway through, it has a lower amount of Beta Alanine and does not contain any L-Citrulline. If I'm also not mistaken, it doesn't contain any caffeine which could be a positive or negative depending on what you're looking for. I have a high tolerance to stimulants so I am always looking for an extra kick any way I can get it in my PWO. Aside from a few negatives and being picky, I'm not disappointed at all in this product and the ingredients inside.

TASTE/MIXABILITY -------------- (7)

I had purchased the fresh fruit flavor and while I don't choose my PWO's based on how they taste, compared to Jack3d, No Xplode and PLatinum Pre it lacks a little in this department. I tend to like sweet things so I may be a little bias to the flavor but overall it's tolerable, decent tasting and mixes as good as any PWO. After mixing, there's a little residue leftover at the bottom like most drinks but not much. The taste can be improved but not enough of a concern to avoid this product.

EFFECTIVENESS -------------- (8)

Solid PWO in my opinion. I would put it right there along with Jack3d except not as jittery. Good focus and definitely aides with endurance to go a bit longer than usual. This product gives a decent pump, but nothing major. Definitely gets the job done and covers all the basics you need from a PWO.

VALUE -------------- (8)

I purchased this product for $30 so that's slightly over $1 per serving which is pretty standard for a good PWO. I would pay a lot more than $1 per serving for a great product so the value is decent and definitely not a wallet buster. Compared to Jack3d it has less servings but I never took more than 1 scoop of Muscle Marinade while I find myself using at least 2 scoops of Jack3d, sometimes a little more. Overall it's fairly priced and does what it says. No complaints here.

CONCLUSION -------------- (8)

I was happy with my purchase and definitely don't regret buying Muscle Marinade. I would recommend this product to others who have tried multiple PWO's because everyone responds a little differently to each one and this product definitely contains what you need from a PWO. This product fulfilled most of my expectations, the only real downfall I would say is the lack of a pump so if you're looking for specifically that feeling from your PWO I would say pass but otherwise a great choice for focus and endurance. I will most likely not use this product again but I do not regret trying this product out either.
        • No Pumps
        • No Vascularity
        mrfeathers
          February 1, 2013

I'm a big supporter of DS Craze, but after 3 tubs of it and developing a tolerance for it, I decided to switch to something else, and Muscle Marinade was one of the top-rated products I saw.

I really like the fact that they clearly list the ingredients, they aren't B.S.-ing you. It isn't filled with garbage.

I'm 6'7 and around 200lbs (hence why I'm trying to bulk at the gym) and have a pretty high stim tolerance. You only need one scoop of MM, the scoop is huge. I've been inclined to try 1.5 scoops but I'm not sure how safe that would be.

I got the cherry limeade flavor after I saw reviews on how bad "fresh fruit" was. The taste is great!! It has no real chemical-y taste, is refreshing, and you kind of want to just drink it as a normal drink with a meal. It's awesome.

No crash, no crazy jittery feeling - you just feel...better, like an improved *you*. I was expecting more of a focus and tunnel vision like Craze, but you don't get that. It's more of just increased endurance and energy, although a CLEAN energy. It also seems to have mood boosters, so I wouldn't object to drinking this if you wake up feeling unhappy or grumpy.

You do sweat slightly more than you normally would, but hey, you're working out so what do you expect.

I recommend MM, it's a very good product and will help in the gym, although I think I still have to give a slight edge to Craze.
        • More Sweat
        phoenixx
          November 28, 2012

Muscle Marinade has a ton of ingredients that are research backed, and I checked. The proof is available with a little digging. One scoop really does work. MM has a good blend of creatine, caffeine, and electrolytes. They promote it as an intraworkout as well as a PWO.

Taste- 6

I am very picky about taste. Fresh Fruit tasted not so much like fruit, maybe more like orange peel. On par with most preworkouts, not as good as Bullnox for example. Cherry Limeade I have only had a sample of but same taste rating.

Effects- 9

For a stim based PWO it was effective within 10 minutes of drinking it, and was at full intensity within 25. There isn't a big peak with it, it comes on strong and stays there until it tapers. That's another reason I liked it, it didn't put me to sleep when it wore off. However I started with a really rounded scoop and found out that a scoop is plenty. I didn't find that I got a huge tolerance towards the end of the bottle, it still worked. The only thing I noticed I didn't get was a huge difference in pumps.

Price- 8

You get what you pay for. Buy it from a reputable site. If a product works it's worth it, and this isn't too expensive especially given the amount of ingredients.

Overall a great product. Looks good, tastes OK, and most importantly works great.
        • Great Endurance

Copyright © 2016 SupplementReviews.com. All rights reserved. All trademarks are property of their respective owners.