Pro Complex Gainer Reviews

By: Optimum

Overall Score   How is this Calculated?

Ranks #2 of 20 (better than 95%) in
Protein > Weight Gainers

Pro Complex Gainer is a Weight Gainer manufactured by Optimum. It is a protein based supplement that has additional calories from carbohydrates and fats. It is meant to add additional calories for the body in order to assist with weight and muscle mass gain.
INGREDIENTS (13)
THIS PRODUCT
(Amount not disclosed)

Purest form of whey protein (contains at least 90% protein) that maximizes protein synthesis and minimizes muscle breakdown with almost no carbs or fats.

THIS PRODUCT
(Amount not disclosed)

Rapidly digested form of protein rich in amino acids that helps support lean body mass gains and muscle protein synthesis.

COMPARE SIMILAR

ttcomaha
  November 3, 2014

Hey SR, here's a review on a protein I've been on for a pretty long time. I've gone through many 10lb bags of ON Pro Complex Gainer (under 2 years) and am certainly and evidently pleased with the product. Side note, I haven't tried too many other proteins. Here goes!

Taste - 8
Protein shakes have never really been something anybody looks forward to taking. Call me a wimp for finding the taste of my shake important, but I personally can't tackle a nasty sludge every time I come down from pre-workout after a sesh at the gym (i.e. ON Natural Whey)! I've had the chocolate, vanilla and strawberry and swear by them except the strawberry. It tasted and smelled strongly like medicine.

Mixability - 9
I have a blender bottle to use for my protein shakes. Honestly, after a while I stopped using the whisker ball each time I mixed (always with milk, creatine and flax); it all mixed smoothly without it after maybe 20 seconds of vigorous shaking, like shake-weight status. BTW if you read through other reviews, you'll notice the big-ass scooper issue. I had some issues with this also, but just used a large funnel to dump it in the bottle. Easy fix.

Value - 7
It's a bit expensive. I bought most of my bags from Vitacost, about $73 for about a month's servings. That's close to $2.60 a serving (but often noticed a couple extra servings in the bag). As a mass gainer, I know it's gonna cost a few more bones, but the price is still pretty steep. However, the effectiveness does bring up that value.

Effectiveness - 8
So here's the kicker. I'm a pretty small guy, but was even smaller at the start of using this gainer. Starting at 140lb, ending around 165lbs (check my bio) after about two years. The effectiveness, I feel, is very strong. However, there could be other factors attributing to the weight gain. I'm young (pretty sure I hit a second growth spurt lately haha), I've stacked this with creatine and, more recently, test boosters. I want to give a 9, but I'll stick with 8 to be safe. Regardless, as a small guy with a stupid high metabolism, I have a lot of trouble taking in the proper amount of calories to get some weight. The gainer has 60g of protein, 85g of carbs with 650 total calories with each serving. It definitely changed the game for me when it came down to getting those macros.

Overall - 8
Great gainer for guys like me who need the extra calories. It also tastes pretty awesome, though I can't compare to too many other shakes. It's packed with carbs and protein, it mixes easy, goes down easier. The price, not so much. Bottom line, it works.
SergioPLR12
  November 19, 2013

Hello SR! SergioPLR12 here again. Lately I l've been posting a lot of reviews, and love it!. I'm a big big fan of Optimum, I have tried several of their products and neither of them disapointed me, so I decided to take some time to give my opinion on this product. Well, that being said, on with the review. Several months ago I was training 6 times a week and found it to be a little difficult for me to gain weight. Instead, I would just cut and cut a lot, so I decided to give this a try. I like to read a lot about a product before taking kt, and Pro Complex Gainer was just about perfect for me. A way to gain some pounds with no fat, so I bought it. Here is my experience.

Dose: 1 scoop post-training and 1 scoop mid-afternoon

Effectiveness: 9.2/10
I don't really like giving such high ratings, but this definetely deserves it. A really high quality product overall. First off, 60gr of lean protein by serving? You can't ask for a better deal! I found it to be really effective, my strenght rose above usual and I gained something like 6 pounds or so. Also, my BF % only went up 0.2%, which is not something significant. I really liked the fact that my stomach took it really well, I like to base the effectiveness of a product by both recovery and digestion, which in this case was almost a perfect 10 in both ways. The reason I'm not giving this a perfect score is because there were some ocations which I felt a little heavy after taking it (2 or 3 times only). Best aspect of the product by far.

Taste: 9/10
I had the double chocolate flavor and I loved it! I always go safe on flavors of protein, especially if I buy a 10lbs bag, and this was no exception. From the very first to the last scoop, it was delicious. Again, Optimum really nailed the taste department.

Mixability: 10/10
A really weird 10. I NEVER found any clumps or anything, using a shaker, blender or even a cup and a spoon, this mixed absolutely perfect. I was really surprised that a weight gainer could mix up so nicely.

Like I always say, I don't really get much vote on this aspect because I live in Lima, Peru, and everything is overpriced. However, I base my ratings on the prices I see on amazon, bb.com, etc. I found it to be a tiny bit expensive compared to other weight gainers, however, counting on the quality of protein you are getting, it's not bad at all. The reason I'm not giving this a 10 is that you don't get much servings, considering the huge scooper. What I did was take half of it, which still provided a great amount of protein and carbs.

Profile: 10/10
Can't ask for a better profile man, I was blown away about the fact that there are 60gr of protein in each serving, only 8gr of fat(which 4 are saturated fat) and 85gr of carbs. I fell in love with the profile and to this day I haven't found a better deal in a weight gainer. Also, love the fact that there are 7 types of protein in the blend, it gives you high quality protein from different sources.

Overall:10/10
I've never actually gived away a perfect 10 in the overall of a product, but this deserves it big time. I couldn't ask for a better supplement actually, I highly recommend it for those who want to put a few pounds of lean mass. Overall, a perfect product for me. Definetely will try it again

Hope you found my review helpful actually, really glad to be giving out my experience on this so that some of you consider taking it.

Cheers!
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Solid Carb Source
Cobrah
  October 2, 2013

OK so here it is my first review. Feels weird finally posting one after reading them for all these years but anyways... My review for Optimum Nutrition's Pro Complex Gainer. I have used this as a the backbone of my bulking diet for several years now. Optimum Nutrition has a great track record for a good reason and they have long been my favorite supplement brand. In my experience many of the supplements that they offer have been the best in their category, whether it be creatine, protein etc.. And Pro Complex Gainer is no different.

OVERALL: The nutritious value of the gainer is crazy. First off, 60g of protein like regular Pro Complex protein (also amazing) 650 calories, 85g of carbs and ONLY 8g of fat it's hard or impossible to get those totals from one meal! Now, some might say 650 calories is a little low for a gainer and they're mostly right but this is a lean gainer. If you want an ultra-calorie gainer try serious mass but there comes many drawbacks with that. Also some might argue your body can't even take 60g of protein at once yadda yadda bro science if you feel that way just split a serving in half and spread em out! I'm sticking with Pro Comp though. Once you find your maintenance daily calories needed you should only add atleast 500 more calories to efficiently bulk, maybe a bit more depending on you. A couple thousand extra and you're putting on a lot of fat.

Effectiveness: It is super effective, going through a whole 10.16 pound bag and eating a ton I'll put on around 7 pounds give or take. (I also like to bulk with creatine so that adds in too of course.) Pretty clean weight put on I might add. The 10.16 pound bag for me usually lasts around a month at 28 servings. They also offer a 5.08 pound tub with 14 servings.

Taste: The taste is great. Vanilla, Chocolate or Strawberry you can't go wrong. I will say for some reason the chocolate flavored protein powders seem to fill me up more which is a good thing if you have to take this in place of a meal. But yeah anything Optimum I have found so far tastes great.

Price: The not so great part I rated the price mediocre because anything Optimum is gonna demand a high price tag. I just checked and at allstarhealth.com the ten pound bag is going for 69 bucks the 5 pound tub is at 39 bucks. And unfortunately like many supps the price has shot up a ton since I first used it. However, when I wa fed up with the ON prices I searched for different gainers and most of them would be cheaper but the catch is the might have as low as 10 servings with a terrible nutrient profile therefore not being worth it at all. So price wise I really do feel like this is the most bang for the buck, just bite the bullet on price and you won't be sorry.

Miscellaneous: That dang entrenching tool-laundry detergent- scooper! Dear ON, maybe try a smaller ROUNDED scooper that is not so large even if it means we have to use two scoops! Not even a deal breaker though, give it a shot!

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Solid Carb Source
  • Mixes Well
  • Minimal Fat Gains
  • Awesome Taste
  • Great Protein Blend
  • Solid Macro Ratio For Lean Gains
marcorod87
Rep: 0
  June 28, 2013

Hey guys, I'm fairly new at this so bare with me please. This is my review for this very impressive lean mass builder. So here we go!

Profile: 9
85 grams total carbohydrates
5 grams dietary fiber
6 grams sugar
60 grams protein

Protein source: Whey Protein isolates, Whey Protein Concentrates, Calcium Caseinate, Egg Albumen, Hydrolyzed Whey Peptides, Glutamine Peptides.
Carb Source: Maltodextrin

The nutritional breakdown is quite impressive here. Especially the protein source. I love that it starts off with whey isolates first. What other gainer does that?? It has maltodextrin as it's carb source which alot of people dont like, but to put on size you need carbs that absorb quickly into your bloodstream for that post workout fuel, maltodextrin will do just that. Overall it's got a great ratio of macronutrients.

Price: 7.5
Price is the only downfall for me abit. Its about 60 bucks at Allstarthealth.com which is the cheapest site for supps that I have found personally. But with that being said, 60 bucks for 28 servings for a mass gainer is not bad at all. Usually most gainers have lower servings that that, 8-14 by average. And this one has 28 so it's still worth the price if you ask me especially for it's high quality ingredients.

Taste: 9
Tase is awesome! So far iv'e only had chocolate but it tastes great, even in water!

Mix: 10
For a weight gainer/mass builder this powder mixes up almost instantly. It just dissolves quickly in water stir for 10 seconds and your done!

Effectiveness: 9
My philosophy is you should only take in supplements that give you ADDITIONAL gains to your diet and training than if you wernt taking in any at all, this does just that! Within the first day i noticed the size and fullness of every bodypart I trained using this gainer. And the best part of it all is it added absolutely no fat gain over my waist at all! It truly does what it claimes to be: a LEAN mass gainer! Mass without the fat gain.

Overall 9.5
I havent tried hundreds of supplements some people have but so far, this is the best supplement I have ever tried! Of all other products wether it's creatine, protein, pre-workout, ect this one stand out to me the most. Gains in mass were great while minimizing any fat gain whats so ever! I deffenetly recoment this product to anyone out there trying to put on lean muscle mass! Thanks!
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Solid Carb Source
  • It Works
  • Mixes Well
  • Minimal Fat Gains
  • Awesome Taste
  • Great Protein Blend
RBunny
  November 22, 2012

This review is a bit overdue, but here goes...

I know everybody is going to say I'm just following the crowd, but I love Optimum Nutrition Supps.

TASTE AND MIXABILITY: 10/10

Once again, another great Supp from ON. Taste and mixability were great. With some supps, you get a bit of residual powder taste as it may not mix. This supp mixed perfectly. (To anybody reading this review, see my Optimum Nutrition Hydro Builder to know I am not affiliated with this company in any way whatsoever - Pretty Bad product).

Taste was awesome. ON have got the chocolate taste downpat with Complex Gainer and Platinum Hydrowhey.

EFFECTIVENESS: 9/10
I took this straight after workout. I was training twice a day, and started to get some real good size and cut a little bit.
I must note, however, I was stacking straight creatine throughout day on a loading phase.

VALUE: 6/10
Once again, supps in Australia are pretty pricey, so you have to really do your research to get the best price. Supp prices here are through the roof, so there is very little value for money. But this is definitely one of the best protein shakes, so have given the value of it a higher scoring.

Of note, for value, this comes with a MASSIVE scooper. If ON were able to concentrate the product more, and reduce the serving size, may get it closer to the ultimate mass gainer.

Overall, I wanted to give this 10/10 for everything, but want to reserve that for the "holy grail" of supps. This one was not far from it! This is one of those supps that I would keep going back to time and time again. Optimum Nutrition are onto a good thing with this and should keep going.

Love this supp, and would recommend to anybody.

RB
jpount
  September 17, 2012

A few months ago I decided to try the Pro Complex Gainer, given I wanted to add on a few kgs before I began cutting. I have since had 2 bags of this stuff. My diet was solid, but I felt as though I needed some extra assistance, and hence I opted for a gainer. I have previously tried Up Your Mass, so I do have another product to compare it to.

The ingredient profile is sound. I didn't want a gainer loaded with calories/fat/carbs, so this was a perfect 'lean' gainer option. At 650 calories, only 8g of fat, 85g of carbs and 60g of protein you can see it's a solid formula for gaining some lean size as opposed to completely stacking it on.

I followed directions by using 16oz of either fat-free milk or water. I had Double Chocolate both times, and it was very good. It's a rich chocolate taste, possibly too strong when mixed with water. I got a little sick of chugging down 16oz of it every day, but it's a minor complaint - if you can call it that. To combat this, I'd just mix it with 12oz of water to get it down faster. Alternatively, as always, it tastes better with milk. I'd describe it as being smoother on the pallet. Up Your Mass' Cinnamon flavour is my preferred taste, but this still rates highly.

PC Gainer leaves you feeling very full. As I said above it's rich, and chugging down 16oz can be a little challenge when you get to the last mouthful or two. Having said that, I did only encounter this during my second bag ... so I probably just need to change up the flavours. The full feeling is great though, it really does last.

The weight gain is gradual which I really liked. I didn't want to stack on pounds upon pounds in two weeks. The first bag saw me gain 2.5kgs overall with a noticeable difference in my shoulders and arms particularly. About a quarter way through my second bag I got the flu badly, so this certainly put me back a little, but by the end of the second bag I had gained another 2kgs. So, overall, PC Gainer helped me put on 4.5kgs. My upper body was a lot thicker, but most importantly, fat was very very minimal.

Cons include the RIDICULOUS scooper. You will NOT be able to get a full scoop and pour it into your shaker without spilling it. The design of that thing is terrible ... I recommend using a normal scooper and measuring exactly how much you need the first time so that you know you've got it right. It'll save you the irritation of dealing with this terrible scooper every time you come to open the bag.

Overall, it's a great gainer. It's hard to see me buying something else, unless I do it for the sake of trying something new. It's superior to Up Your Mass which saw me gain 1.5kgs, so really, I can't say enough good things about it. I'll obviously buy it again at some point down the line.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Solid Carb Source
  • Mixes Well
  • Minimal Fat Gains
  • Awesome Taste
  • Great Protein Blend
  • Solid Macro Ratio For Lean Gains
eszamiel
  August 15, 2012

I have been a fan of the Optimum Nutrition for a while now so I decided to pick up a weight gainer to bulk up since I have had good results with their 100% Whey and I wasn't disappointed. With dedication to the gym and eating right on top of using this product I do not doubt you will see results. If you are looking to gain weight, as most of you know, diet is extremely important. This isn't meant to be a meal replacement if you really want to put on the pounds so eating above your daily caloric intake should be priority. This protein shake is an easy way to add 600+ calories every serving on top of your normal diet.

My stack consists of a multivitamin, fish oils, Jack3d (pre-workout), Animal Stak (pre-workout), Gaspari Sizeon (intra-workout), and and Pro Complex Gainer (post-workout) and in between meals (anywhere from 1-3 servings a day depending on my schedule).

I know I am taking quite a bit of supplements but this was my main protein source aside from eating clean for the most part (cheat meals here and there) and the small amount of protein Sizeon contains.

I have always had trouble gaining weight which I blame on my diet but increasing my caloric intake and add Pro Complex Gainer I have seen great results. I went from approximately 148 to 157 in about one month. I have seen very little fat added to my body with noticeable increased muscle size and even more leaner.

I purchased the Chocolate flavor (10lbs) and the taste is very good for a protein shake, if you enjoy Optimum's 100% Whey you will be satisfied with the flavor as well. The only other protein I've used in the past is Muscle Milk which I find good tasting but has a higher fat content and is much sweeter. I personally prefer to mix it with water because with milk it tends to make me more bloated and gassy. It mixes very well, the only negative is the scooper is definitely over-sized. I find myself measuring it out and then having to spoon it in my shaker as not to spill anything but that's not a deal breaker for me if the results are there.

I work out about 4-5 times a week, 2-3 days of abs, and 2-3 days on the elliptical or 15-20 mins of HIIT cardio. Sets vary, usually 3-4 per excersize and about 4-5 exercises per muscle. I always shoot to get reps between mostly 8-10 of mostly heavy/medium weights.

Overall I am very pleased with my purchase and I have just ordered another 10lb bag to add some more mass (my goal is 165) and then do a cutting phase to get even more lean.

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Solid Carb Source
92SCtbird
  October 6, 2011

Optimum Nutrition Pro Complex Gainer delivers as more of a protein shake than a gainer in my opinion. As a weight gainer I wish it contained more calories but that can be fixed by adding milk and ice cream into the blender.

Taste 7/10
I bought the strawberry thinking I would mix it up instead of my usual chocolate flavor. However I got sick of the taste after the very first week, it left an unpleasant after taste. I deffinetly wont change my flavor away from chocolate anymore haha

Effectiveness 8/10
With a very high calorie diet loaded with protein I thought I would put on 4 or 5 pounds with this gainer included however only put on 3. With its lack of calories but high protein content it proves to really be a "lean gainer." Only strength increases noticable were my pullup reps, I could easily add another set to my routine and for that I believe thats why I gained mass in my upper chest.

My favorite part about taking this gainer was that it made me want to raid the kitchen, I just couldnt stop eating while taking this. Everything sounded good and looked good to eat. It kind of got annoying to my girlfriend after a couple weeks but d*mn does she make awesome sandwiches ahah

Price 8/10
More expensive than most gainers, however it seems to be alot cleaner than others as well so the price is not to complain about, I ordered the 5lb tub from bodybuilding.com

Overall I would recommend this gainer to anyone looking for a lean bulk, it deffinetly delivers with its amount of carbs and protein.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Solid Carb Source
  • Not All Sugar Like Other Gainers.
  • Increased Appetite
  • Low In Calories
compawillie
  August 24, 2011

Just about done with a BIG @ZZ BAG OF 10 lb Sorry i took me so long,so so long to write a review,but here i go:

I weight 170 LB before i started now i weight 190 LB i've noticed good results on my muscles,my arms,shoulders,chest,abs,legs,( too bad i can say the same about my soldier XD )
i did measure my self before i use this product to make sure this product does what is spouse to, and i did
i gain 2 inches on my chest,shoulders,arms, and legs again to bad i didn't gain 2 inches on my soldier xd ( if you know what i mean)

The only reason i say 8 is because the price $

Its a little pricier than some others, but it works so its worth every penny.ON ProComplex is probably one of the better blended proteins on the market,

This stuff is awesome.I got the Double chocolate flavor and it is wonderful, i noticed tremendous gain
Why denied is like when you try to sue the government,why waste your time.... means-while bend over because
you are going to get it( meaning tat you are going to lose),,,and you are going to get it the way Latinas like it..........
.......hasta dentro ( all the way inside )Because so far i only try 2 pink tacos latina taco( aka pink taco)
and white taco, and some of the white tacos just like it hard ,if you ever eat some latina culo you know what i mean, if not get you culo off the monitor and get some pink taco.

This product made me feel like I was feeding my body what it needed in the right amounts post workout.
But also made me take some BIG CACAS, they look like hot and tasty churros,because they where long and stinky.
I remember stacking the toilet every day, i can see the brown churro over the wather level.

Thanks for reading my review and once again sorry that take me so long, take care and have a nice taco today =)

In Spanish, En Español:

Apenas termine con una puta bolsota de 10 Libras, Disculpen que me tarde tanto en escribir my critica aqui esta:

Eficacia:

Yo pesaba 170 LB antes de empezar i ahora peso 190 lb, note muy buenos resultados en mis musculos, mis brazos,mi pecho,mis hombros,mis piernas y mi abdomen ( lastima que no pueda decir lo mismo de mi verga xd)
Yo tome medidas antes de usar este producto para estar seguro de que funzinara y si si me sirvio,
Yo gane 2 pulgadas en my pecho,hombros,brazos,y piernas, de nuevo que mal que no pueda decirlo mismo de mi verga.9 si sabes de lo que hablo)

Valor:

La unica razon que le di un 8 es por el precio

Es un poco caro a comparacion de otros, pero si sirve y vale cada penny

ON ProComplex es probablemente uno de los mejores proteinas en el mercado

Esta Producto es asombroso, Yo compre el sabor de doble chocolate y sabe muy bien, tambien note tremendos cambios
Para que negarlo es como cuando uno trata de denmandar al gobierno, para que perder tu tiempo mejor empinate
pues te la van a meter de la misma manera que le encanta a las latinas hasta adentro......... por que hasta ahora solo he probado 2 tacos
el taco rosa ( osea el de la latina) y el taco blanco, y las del taco blanco les gusta aldo loco poro no hasta adentro si tu nunca haz probado el culo de latina pues parate y consigete uno.

En total:

Este producto me hizo sentir como si estuviera alimentando a mi cuerpo lo que necesitaba, en las porciones correctas despues de hacer ejercicio.
Pero tambien me hizo cagar unas CACOTAS, como los churros, calientes y crujientes porque estaban largos y apestosos.
Tmabienr recuerdo que tapaba la taza todos los dias, podia ver el churro de caca arriba del nivel del agua.

Gracias por leer mi cirtica y nuevamente disculpenme que me tarde trando, cuidense y que tengan un buen taco el dia de hoy =)

• I Fee Like Super Mexican
AlbertW3sker
Rep: -2
  July 9, 2011

been using this gainer on deployment and it works well for my goals. i was surprised that i didn't gain fat from this product, and i read the bag and it says "lean MASS gainer". just what i wanted

Results: Gained an Additional 7 lbs. in two months. not just the gainer, but my diet and workout regimen contribute to this. the extra pounds did not effect my run time either, so i got a little bit bigger without losing my speed and agility.

Side Effects: MASS gains and strength gains.
who can argue with that?

Excersise Regimen: mon-Legs+ abs +5 mile run, Tue- Upperbody, Wed. 3 Mile Run + abs, Thur-legs again, friday-upperbody, saturday APFT (army physical fitness test) sunday - R&R (@work for 15 hours)

dont forget water. i have anywhere from 10-12 quarts daily.

i dont believe in bulking or cutting, i just PT myself to death.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Solid Carb Source
  • It Works
  • Mixes Well
  • Gains Dont Effect Run Time (if You Run. Haha)
  • Minimal Fat Gains
  • Awesome Taste
  • Huge Scooper (should Be Smaller With 2-3 Scoops)

Copyright © 2016 SupplementReviews.com. All rights reserved. All trademarks are property of their respective owners.