Platinum Pre Reviews

By: Optimum

Overall Score   How is this Calculated?

Ranks #118 of 181 (better than 35%) in

Platinum Pre is a Pre-Workout manufactured by Optimum. It is designed to help provide a pre-training advantage by increasing mental focus, muscle performance, endurance and blood flow. This creates an environment optimal for increasing muscle mass and losing body fat.
COMPARE SIMILAR

Clipper83
  August 21, 2013

I'm finally done with my ON Platinum-Pre tub. I bought this back in Feb, and only got to use it once before I was out of commission for 3 months. I've been wanting to do this review for a while, because there should be more reviews for this product. ON is a good company and this had some high expectations. It did not disappoint, at least for me.

Profile:

No prop. blends, big plus! It's a fairly simple profile. I'll highlight some of the good things at 2 scoops.

-400 mg of caffeine(can be good or bad)
-3.2g of Beta-Alanine
-4g of Citrulline(PepForm)
-250mg Capsimax
-DMAE Bitartrate(related to Choline)
-Some Vitamin C
- Antioxidants coming from Grape Seed Extract, Beet Juice Powder, and Red Wine Grape Extract

At 2 scoops, everything is very well dosed. The only problem for some people might be that 400 mg is quite high. 400mg is the highest I would ever take before a workout. I personally think anything over 300mg is quite high, and 400mg is def. too much for a lot of people out there. You could take one scoop, just make sure you have some extra Beta-Alanine on hand. Platinum Pre was obviously intended for the sole reason of performance.

The Capsimax is quite interesting. It's used in a lot of fat burners to increase thermogenesis, gives you that hot/sweaty feeling. Another big plus for me is the lack of creatine. Most of us take creatine straight, so why supplement with it?

Taste(7.5/10)

I tried a Raspberry Lemonade sample packet a long time ago. It worked/tasted so well I went out and bought a tub at GNC(where I worked at the time). We only had the fruit punch of course. I was never too crazy about it. Was def. not like any fruit punch I've ever tasted. The Capsimax is def. noticeable. Once in a while I would accidentally bite into a piece of it and would feel my tongue start to burn. It can hit your throat once in a while too. Not a big con really but I just think it's weird to drink something spicy before a workout.

Mix:(8.5/10)

Mixed alright. I'd get a bit of residue at the bottom from time to time, probably from Capsimax. The biggest problem for me was that it took me forever to get through it, it would start to clump up.

Effectiveness:(9.4/10)

This is easily one of the best preworkouts I have ever used.

Energy-9.5/10
At 400mg of caffeine, you should expect a good amount of energy. Always lasted throughout my workout. Energy seems perfect for a grueling leg day for some reason.

Focus-9/10
Had good focus throughout my workouts every time, and even after them too! Not as good as when I take dendrobium or something like that, but it's still noticeable.

Pump-
Not going to rate this. I never took this by itself, and always stacked it with a pump product. I'm sure it helped with that, but seriously it would be unfair to ON to rate this higher or lower than it should be. Don't want to turn this into a "heavy arms" review. I'm sure it helped, but I am not confident enough to say how much it helped. Either way, it should provide any user with at least an increased pump.

This is def. performance based. I never got the usual feeling of being cracked out. I always felt more like just wanting to take on whatever was in front of me. It seems to make lifting more fun than what it already is. Almost like I'm in battle, as corny as that sounds. Really made me want to squat whenever I took it on leg day, even though my squats have been sucking lately.

The Capsimax made me sweat like crazy every workout. It can get quite annoying sometimes, other times it just makes you feel like you are having a great workout.

Value:(7.5/10)

Usually around $30, you can find it for around $25 though. Seems to be fairly priced compared to other preworkouts. Still, for 15 servings when you use 2 scoops, it just seems a bit pricy, even though I've paid more. Still worth every penny though.

Overall:(9.1/10)

I highly recommend trying Platinum-Pre. It's a very well-rounded pre-workout that is effective at both 1 or 2 scoops. If you are looking to up your workout performance in just about every aspect, this is worth a shot. Just try to get it on sale.
  • Beastmode
MrAppleman
  December 6, 2012

Watch out jack3d Micro! Platinum Pre coming through.

I really enjoyed this preworkout from start to finish.

Ingredients- Good dosing on ingredients at 2 scoops so you can tell it was meant to be dosed at 2 scoops to get clinical doses. I think Petey did a much better job at discusses each ingredient than I could if I wanted to so I will just say I really like the whole blend of antioxidants and where they took this preworkout. I like the addition of beet juice.

Taste - 10 -
Give it a ten because it tastes good or at least as good as you could wish a pre to taste. Despite the small spicy clumps at the end. The superfruit was really good, and smooth tasting.

Effectiveness- 9

Not much more I would ask of it really. plenty of caffeine at 2 scoops to get you going. Citrulline kept those nice pumps. Carnosyn beta alanine for the endurance, been a while since I had the tingles in my face lol which is weird cause I take plenty of beta, but after drinking I always got some warm tingles in my face. like I said earlier I cant speak to all the ingredients but combined I can tell you they work. I had great workouts throughout the tub at 2 scoops. Focus, clean energy, decent pumps, performance. I will definitely get this again. Worked very well

Value---7
29 at allstarhealth.com Of course everybody would always love a better value. but what can you do. The product performs great. at 2 dollars a dose is it worth it? ( for 2 scoops) I think so. It may be pricey but ON is right this preworkout is 100% business *for those who mean business. I added that last part because its true if you want a great preworkout 2 dollars shouldnt be a big deal. I actually dont even think it is that pricey compared to the days where we all used 3 scoops of jack3d for 23-30 bucks and it lasted 15 workouts and this works way better in my opinion.

Overall- 9-

Tastes super, Works very well, Worth the price.

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Superbeastmode
    ODAAT365
      June 11, 2015

----Introduction----
    A little bit ago I got my hands on a tub of Optimum Nutrition's Platinum Pre. I love pre workouts and am always excited to try something new. Unfortunately, I was only able to use this about 5 times before having to give up on it because of a particular side effect. I will get into that later.

----Ingredient Profile----
    Here are the main ingredients per scoop:

L-Citrulline 2g
    Beta-Alanine 1.6g
    DMAE Bitartrate 250mg
    Phytoblend 250mg
    Beet Juice Powder, Grape Seed Extract, MegaNatural Red Wine Grape Seed Extract, Bioflavanoids
    Caffeine 200mg
    Capsimax Extract 125mg

It's really a pretty simple profile with tried and true ingredients, but nothing really new or innovative. Points for full disclosure on the label for sure. There's no creatine and I actually like that, because adding my own is cheap and easy and it makes for less math I have to do on all the different things I'm taking to get to 5g/day. Overall, for pumps, energy, and endurance, it's a decent blend if you are able to take 2 full scoops.

----Taste/Mixability/Dosing----
    I found dosing this product to be a little bit less than ideal. Everything is under dosed until you move up to 2 scoops. The problem is that then you're rocking 400mg of caffeine and that is a bit more than I am comfortable doing at my body weight (165lbs) and stimulant sensitivity. I ended up dosing at 1.5 scoops. As I said, the caffeine was the limiting factor. I don't like to go much over 300mg.

Taste was another issue. I tried Fruit Punch and it was not a very good idea. More importantly, I'm not sure who decided putting Capsimax in something meant to be drank was a good idea, but they were wrong. This stuff tastes terrible and then on top of that burns your mouth and throat all the way down. Now I like spicy food and I put hot sauce on almost everything. So I'm not just being a female dog about it. The burn from this Capsimax was different than a chili burn. More sharp and painful than slow and lingering. NO THANK YOU.

Mixability was fairly poor. Not much of anything in it actually seemed to dissolve. There was always a lot of settling and chunks of stuff floating around. Normally this isn't a big deal for me, but combined with the taste it became more of an issue.

----Side Effects----
    The reason I had to stop taking this product was because of the Capsimax. I could deal with the burning on the way in even though I didn't like it, but the burning that occurred on the way out became unacceptable. I will spare you the grisly details. I have taken other products (in capsule form) with Capsimax and never had an issue, which leads me to believe there is just a too much Capsimax in Platinum Pre.

----Effectiveness----
    Once I finally choked this stuff down, I did have some okay workouts. 300mg of caffeine did what it does and provided energy and focus. I did get increased endurance from the Beta-Alanine. The pumps were probably the most solid effect I received from the product. However, none of these effects were great and certainly nothing to write home about. I have had better results from several other products in all areas. Overall, it was just average.

----Value----
    You're looking at $35-40 shipped for this. That's a LOT of money for a product that only provides 15 serving to properly dose it's ingredients.

----Conclusion----
    Unfortunately for Platinum Pre, there are not a lot of bright points. When you make a product that costs this much, tastes this bad, and gives you side effects, while at the same time only providing average positive effects, you are not going to get a very good rating from me. If the effects were spectacular I probably would have just dealt with all the issues and used it, but sadly that wasn't the case. The bottom line: when there are so many other great pre workouts out there, a severely burned butt crack following each workout is a DEAL BREAKER.
    • Need A Bigger Tub
    • Burning Anus
    Samazon

December 19, 2014

I came across this during a mass purchase on vitaminshoppe.com. It retails ~$33 but I snagged it for 25% off, so this made it quite affordable. I was looking for a solid PWO for lifting, without too much caffeine, and really like other Optimum products, so I expected a lot out of this.

I have to highlight that this profile is somewhat basic, and has a little of everything I look for in a PWO (I will comment on what I really liked):
    Serving Size 1 Scoop
    Servings Per Container 30
    L-Citrulline 2 g: I like the idea of the antioxidant properties, but started adding an additional 6g (would like to see 8g/serving)
    CarnoSyn Beta-Alanine 1.6 g: It seemed to be enough for me to get the tingles off of, not too much, but when I took this about 20 minutes before starting my workout, and on a relatively empty stomach, it was enough for me.
    DMAE Bitartrate 250 mg
    PhytoBlend 250 mg
    Beet Juice Powder Grape Seed Extract (Vitis vinifera)(seeds)
    MegaNatural Red Wine Grape Extract (Vitis vinifera)(fruit) Citrus Bioflavonoids
    Caffeine 200 mg: This is a good amount for me in my PWO; between 150-200mg seems to be enough to fuel me through my workouts, without keeping me up later in the evening. I don't want more, and feel it just messes up my sleep and dose nothing to aid in energy in the gym.
    Capsimax Capsicum Extract 125 mg: This was an interesting ingredient I haven't taken in anything really other than capsule form and I was really surprised how well it fit in to the flavor and gave it a little extra kick.

Taste/mixing: 9/10
    I've tried a few of the flavors and I REALLY liked them all (I think superfruit and currently raspberry lemonade). It was not offensive or "fake" tasting like some other supplements I have tried. It also did not have any weird aftertaste to deal with. The Capsimax delivered a peppery aftertaste that I personally liked (If you don't like spicy foods this would NOT be a good PWO for you!) Occasionally, I would find a lasting peppery effect even after I was done drinking it. The powder mixed relatively well in water and I did not have any issues with clumping or discoloration of the container I mixed this in.

I found that this PWO had me solidly ready for my workout when I timed taking it about 20 minutes prior to starting my workout. I also did not get any caffeine crashes or have any workout where I "gassed out" halfway through. There was nothing in here that really offered me any "pumps" or added vascularity for lifting and I often stacked BSN's Nitrix2.0 and extra citrulline malate and found that the combination of the two products complimented each other. I gave this PWO a try partially based on the antioxidant ingredients (specifically the DMAE and L-Citrulline) and truly felt that it had less muscular soreness the days after heavy lifting when I would use this PWO in comparison to some other pre's I have used before.

For a deal online or in store, you can get this for 83 cents a serving. If it wasn't discounted I think it is a little bit pricey, as the profile is very basic. If I could find it discounted again I would surely give it another whirl. If it had the 8g of citrulline I would be happier with this PWO, but even when I have to supplement in more with each dose it is still not the most expensive PWO.

Conclusion/things to note: If you have any aversion to spice this is NOT a good PWO for you. It is otherwise a solid, basic PWO. It worked really well for me during late night lifting sessions to fuel me through and did not effect my sleep the night
      SuperGill
        February 28, 2014

A rather short review on this product by optimum nutrition. Before I start the review I must say I really love Optimum and their whey and creatine are staples in my stack. I was really hoping from similarly positive results from their Pre Workout or as it is called Platinum Pre. Optimum surprisingly has never made a proper pre till this one so expectations were high. The Steve Cook ad was pretty good too. After trying it, I am honestly surprised that this product has a 9.0 rating on SR.

Taste – (7/10)
      I had the raspberry lemonade flavor which was according to most reviews, the best tasting among the 3 PP flavours. Got to say im not really a big fan of the flavor but I would find it rather harsh to judge a pre for its flavor after all its just 300ml of water etc. It had that slightly spicy taste to it too so do have some cold water nearby. Possibly due to the capsimax ingredient (some thermogenic) in it. Compared to MusclePharm raspberry lemonade (old), I would say this one is slightly better, just a little more spicy.

Effectiveness – (5/10)
      I really wanted this product to work, since I was under the illusion that ON makes some of the best supps on the market and their pre would be no different. Sadly, this let me down, big time. My endurance remained the same, with or without PP. Couldn't get any tingles from the BA even at two scoops. Strength increases were close to zero. Red bull gave me more energy than this pre to be honest. I also do have to add that the only pre I took before this was mp assault then stopped pres for a month to get this. Not a stimulant person and rarely drink coffee.

Value- (6/10)
      At 30+ bucks for 30 scoops, this is one of the higher priced pres on the market. I wouldn't have mind paying the premium if it worked though. Most of the time, people would need more than 1 scoop to get the effects of this so it becomes more than a dollar a serve.

Overall – (5/10)
      It might not have worked for me, though I really wanted it to. I tried using it on an empty stomach, full stomach, varied the amount of water to mix with this. Diet remained constant before and during taking this so I can guarantee diet and dosing isn't the issue. The thermo in the pre did make me sweat more during my workouts I must say too.

Overall, there are other similarly priced pres that are much more effective than this. But everyone is different, so that might explain why i didn't get the fantastic results that others had gotten from this product.
       Pros:
       Cons:
      • No Creatine
      • Capsimax
      • Some Jitters
      • No Increased Energy
      • Strength Increase Minimal
      cssrss
        October 3, 2013

Hey SR! It has been a veerryyy long time since I typed out a review, but I feel that this supplement deserves a little credit.

I happen to be a unique individual when it comes to preworkouts. I find myself to be sensitive to supps that have too many stimulants or just a laundry list of ingredients, so I typically like my pre workouts to be quick and to the point. After finishing a run with Capsi-Blast, which was basically just hot peppers and caffeine (see my review here http://supplementreviews.com/promera-health/capsi-blast), I needed something with a better focus and energy profile. I have always been a fan of ON's consistent quality, so I wasn't too concerned with dropping the $$$ for this product.

INGREDIENTS: 9/10

Practically a full disclosure label, this PWO offers endurance and energy enhancement, along with N.O support and thermogenic qualities. What is great about the label is how easily it is to read. You know exactly how much caffeine, beta-alanine, and citruline you get with 1 – 2 scoops. The only complaint here is that if you are only in the mood for the 1 scoop serving, you miss out on a effective dose of beta-alanine.

Serving Size 1 Scoop
      Servings Per Container 30

L-Citrulline 2 g
      (as Micronized L-Citrulline PepForm Citrulline Peptides [L-Citrulline Hydrolyzed Whey Protein Isolate])
      CarnoSyn Beta-Alanine 1.6 g
      DMAE Bitartrate 250 mg
      PhytoBlend 250 mg
      Beet Juice Powder Grape Seed Extract (Vitis vinifera)(seeds)
      MegaNatural Red Wine Grape Extract (Vitis vinifera)(fruit) Citrus Bioflavonoids
      Caffeine 200 mg
      Capsimax Capsicum Extract 125 mg
      (Capsicum annuum)(fruit)(standardized for capsaicinoids)

TASTE: 6/10

I had the fruit punch flavor, which was somewhat disappointing. It's like while they were making the product someone said "Hey! I read somewhere that peppers are fruits...........let's toss a sack full of them into the punch!" So yes, hot spicy fruit punch thanks to the capsi-max.

EFFECTIVENESS: 9/10

This PWO provided some of the cleanest focus and energy enhancement I have yet to experience. Even at 1 scoop, I was able to focus on my lifts and connect with the muscle groups I was training. Of all the ingredients, I attribute this to the caffeine/DMAE combo. The caffeine provided the energy, and the DMAE enhanced my focus along with the sensation that it was far easier to contract my muscles and produce force. I know this sounds like a gimmick, but it literally felt like every rep was the result of all my muscle fibers firing; especially during big lifts like front squats. I also sweated a ton during my lifts, probably due to the capsi-max.

I will say that the only drawback I experienced was during a cardio or HIIT day. My heart rate would be too high to handle these types of workouts, so I typically only took ½ scoop just to get me moving.

COST: 6/10

Most retail stores had this tub going for about $35. Not bad if you only need 1 scoop like me (30 servings), but if you aren't stimulant sensitive and need 400mg of caffeine before you workout, 2 scoops will only give you 15 servings! So, in short I was able to get my money's worth, but if you need a bigger stimulant kick for less money like most people, look elsewhere.

SIDE EFFECTS: N/A

Other than my inability to handle a high stimulant serving during a cardio/HIIT day, I never felt anything that would deter me filling my shaker cup. There was never a crash, and for the most part the energy would last well past my workout.

OVERALL: 9/10

The combination of an unambiguous nutrition label, effective ingredients, and the ability to provide the promised clean "energy and focus" earns this supp a 9 out of 10. I would recommend this product to those who need a PWO with the ability to dial in their energy levels before hitting the daily iron.
      • Increased Strength
      • No Crash
      LeCajun
        March 3, 2013

Wish I would've had a good signal at the Arnold Classic because standing in line for almost hour at cellucor and other long lines, I could have written a review for this.

Ingredients- The ingredient profile for PRE are pretty basic and I prefer PWO's that just stick to the basic ingredients rather then adding in a bunch (MP assault).

L-Citrulline - 2g
      CarnoSyn® Beta-Alanine - 1.6g
      DMAE Bitartrate - 250mg
      PhytoBlend - 250mg
      Caffeine - 200mg
      Capsimaxâ„¢ Capsicum Extract (Capsicum Annuum)(Fruit)(Standardized For Capsaicinoids) - 125mg

I like my PWOs to have a good amount of beta alanine (a plus for carnosyn) and citrulline. From this website, one of the best products I've come to use was raw citrulline mixed with a PWO and it's now something I use with all my PWOs. I reckon the capsimax is the reason for the spiciness but it wasn't something that ruined it for me.

Dosing/Effectiveness- With PRE I rarely went over 1 scoop because like I've stated in other reviews, I mix beta alanine and citrulline with my PWOs. As always, I started out with using PRE by its self for about 2 weeks and it didn't disappoint. The fist week I dosed at just one scoop and the pumps pretty good if I kept lifting. After the first week I would try a scoop and quarter or a scoop and a half but never more then that. The effectiveness is a 9 because PRE always delivered a good pump and a good workout. The first week of taking PRE by itself I could actually feel the tingling from the carnosyn beta alanine, but after the second week they didn't come back until I added in my own beta alanine. I know some people will say dosing at only one scoop isn't at what levels beta alanine and citrulline were studied at, but like I said, I added in my own beta alanine and citrulline. PRE is the best pump PWO I have taken and really shines when I added in citrulline after week 2.

Value- PRE gets an 8 for value and the only reason I knocked it was because at one scoop per serving, its 96 cents and that might be a little high for some. I don't mind paying almost a dollar per serving if it's a PWO that works as well as PRE did. I got PRE at illpumpyouup.com 28.95$

Cons- The only cons that one could say about PRE is the price and the spiciness. Either one doesn't bug me as much but I wouldn't recommend biting down on the crystals unless you like the pepper feeling. Other people that dosed at 2 scoops would think price is more of a con since price per serving goes up to almost 2$, but I kept PRE at almost one scoop since I add in my own beta alanine and citrulline. I never had any superdumps250 with this product or GI issues.

Overall- PRE has everything I would want in a PWO maybe minus the spiciness. The spiciness wasn't too bad after I learned not to bite down on the crystals. I had the superfruit flavor which was different then a fruit punch but was still good and better then other fruit punch flavors. At a 9 PRE is my new favorite PWO over Jack3d Micro. While Jack3d Micro works good for me and is almost the same price (at illpumpyouup) I felt better on PRE. A plus for PRE is they use carnosyn beta alanine which i'm finding out seems to better then just regular beta alanine. I don't mind paying 96 cents a serving if it works really good and I will certainly be using PRE more then just once.
      • Superbeastmode
      Cobrah
        May 15, 2014

Optimum Nutrition's venture into the highly competitive (and lucrative) pwo world. Platinum Pre. Part of ON's Platinum line or in other words ON wants more $$$. I was initially so excited when I heard the announcement of Pre because if you check out my other reviews, it's obvious I am a huge ON fan. The first time I tried it was from a gym buddy who let me have a scoop from his container. I gave it a shot and had a killer workout with immense amounts of energy and focus. The only initial drawback was the taste (which I will most definitely cover later) So I was sold and figured I would pick up my own container, which I got for 30$ish at allstarhealth.com

EFFECTIVENESS: I like to jump into effectiveness first because that is why we take a certain supplement for after all. Will this pwo give you a ton of energy and focus? Plain and simple yes. It is one of the best pwo for energy and focus. But let's look into that further...

DOSING: One scoop of Pre has 200mg of caffeine, 1.6g of beta alanine and all that other energy boosting junk that other members have already covered. For one scoop I felt that the beta alanine was a little under dosed so 2 scoops was the sweet spot for me. Yeah, that's 400mg of caffeine which is a lot even if you are caffeine tolerant, but I never felt like it was over the top. HOWEVER therein lies Pre's greatest drawback. Most people will get the most out of Pre by using 2 scoops and there is 15 servings per container if dosed that way and If you are like me you've already in your head done the math and found that means that one serving of Pre runs a little over 2 bucks a shot! That's insanely pricey. They don't call it platinum for nothin I guess. Another interesting ingredient is the inclusion of capsimax which I will cover a little more in taste. One thing I loved about the ingredients was not including creatine. I like to take creatine separately so it's nice to have an effective pwo without creatine. Most pre workouts do have creatine and I think it's a cheap way of making the user think its the pwo giving them energy while hiding the fact that it's probably just the creatine mono and caffeine.

TASTE: I'm not sure what all flavors they offer at the moment but my container was raspberry lemonade. Sounds good right? WRONG! Holy crap, taking this before a workout was like swallowing a glass of badly dyed fire ants. That would be a better name for the flavor. I'm sure that raspberry lemonade does taste like this...in hell. I found out later this was probably due to the capsimax which (don't yell at me if this is not scientifically correct) has a slight thermo effect and helps with cardiovascular endurance, which I fully believe is true. I definitely felt a body temp rise because I would sweat more during lifting and I felt like I could get a fuller breath than normal. The capsimax is basically in tiny capsule form because ON new it would taste like Satan's breath so they tried to bypass your taste buds but the tiny capsules bust. A lot. Seriously, if you use the same water bottle for pwo and take it to the gym and there is ANY trace of Pre left, even a tiny tiny granule, you will feel the burning tongue sensation thanks to the capsimax. They gotta do something about that.

OVERALL: For 99% of lifters I just cannot recommend this mainly because at the cheapest, it will still be about 2 dollars a serving and that's just too much. But if you are lucky enough to be rich and want to push some serious weights, but unluckily born without taste buds this is probably the PWO for you!
      • Increased Strength
      • Could Help Plateaus
      • Need A Bigger Tub
      • Awful Taste
      marcussmith4
        November 4, 2012

Intro:
      First of all let me apologize for my first two reviews. They weren't very helpful and for that I am sorry. Now to PRE. Great PWO hands down one of the most potent I've tried.

Profile:
      Not a ton of caffeine but not a little either a decent amount that you feel but not so much that its all you feel. I definitely felt the beta-alanine and absolutely loved the Capsimax. It is a little spicy but man does it kick you in the pants. Now that bread winner of the list is beat juice powder. I don't know why this isn't in everything. Its great the pump is there and it is clean.

Value:
      While it is a bit more expensive than other PWO at around $43 I thinks its worth it. Some of the price may be because its ON but I believe you get what you pay for in ON's case. The ingredients are high quality and the results or kickin.

Taste:
      I had the Rasberry Lemonade and the Superfruit both were delicious but you can expect a rather spicy after taste. Oh yeah and if the crystals at the bottom get between your teeth don't chew them or you will be in desperate need of some water stat!

Mixability:
      Pretty good I use more water than recommended just because of the spicy flavor. I know call me a girl haha I just find it helps.

Overall:
      Great PWO my favorite so far. I will definitely run this agian and again.
      SpartanKing7
        April 28, 2013

This is my first review. I heard about this site while working in a supplement store. I've had about every pre-workout there is through samples, years of trying new ones, etc. and few actually get a good effect without a crash. Im a fighter and do not lift weights much, i stick to throwing human bodies around, striking, wrestling, circuits and gymnastic movements such as muscle ups. You're not gonna bench press a guy off of you in a fight. Here is my review:
      -Ingredient Profile: 8/10
      Very minimal, but effective
      Total Carbohydrate 1g <1%*
      Protein <1g 1%*
      Vitamin C (As Ascorbic Acid, Acerola Extract) 100mg 167%
      Sodium 60mg 3%
      Potassium (As Potassium Chloride) 70mg 2%
      L-Citrulline (As Micronized L-Citrulline, PepForm® Citrulline Peptides [L-Citrulline, Hydrolyzed Whey Protein Isolate]) 2g
      CarnoSyn® Beta-Alanine 1.6g
      DMAE Bitartrate 250mg
      PhytoBlend - Beet Juice Powder, Grape Seed Extract (Vitis Vinifera)(Seeds), MegaNatural® Red Wine Grape Extract (Vitis Vinifera)(Fruit), Citrus Bioflavonoids 250mg
      Caffeine 200mg

-Taste: 9/10
      I tried a whole container of fruit punch and raspberry lemonade, and both were among the best I've ever tried, but the raspberry lemonade is probably the best of the 2. The only downfall is that the last sip always has the undissolved cayenne pepper that catches the tip of your tongue which may be a sensitive issue for some people.

-Effectiveness: 8/10
      I'm prescribed to adderall and have a high stimulant tolerance so I always start out with 2 servings. 2 servings had a nice beta alanine tingle that mimics a cold sweat on the way to the gym. Gave me a nice pump, a 30-35 minute surge of energy, and an aggression towards my sets and reps that pushed me through most of my workouts even when I felt terrible on some days. There was a "mean mug" factor as well, where I would look angry between sets. Regardless of what people say, pre-workouts dont increase strength, your workout does, and this gives you the ability to get those good workouts in. Good stuff.

-Mixability: 9/10
      About 10 shakes in a blender bottle did the trick, but there was always those specks of cayenne (capsimax) in the bottom. Every time.

-Value: 7/10
      This stuff was expensive. You can catch it for pretty cheap (34.99) on bodybuilding.com but still, cost per serving is not cheap. But it is a reputable brand, effective, and high quality. If you have the extra money, it's not a bad deal.

-Overall: 8/10
      This stuff was solid, and the only downfall is the price, in all honesty. That, and the sting of cayenne on the tongue. I would recommend this, but for the money there are technically products that will give you more bang for your buck, such as ProSupps "Hyde" or something with DMAA, even Jack3d. But everybody's got their preference, and that's why some people still listen to garbage like "Good Charolette". Later.
      • Beastmode