Home > Categories > Protein > Whey Protein > Optimum > Platinum Hydro Whey

Optimum Platinum Hydro Whey

Platinum Hydro Whey Optimum
Expert Rating:
User Rating: (98 Reviews)

Review Authenticity: 99% (Well Trusted)

Compare Similar Products:

Users who liked this product also liked:

Optimum 100% Whey Reviews
100% Whey (374 Reviews)
9.2
Optimum 100% Casein Protein Reviews
100% Casein Protein (138 Reviews)
BSN Syntha-6 Reviews
Syntha-6 (167 Reviews)
Optimum Pro Complex Reviews
Pro Complex (106 Reviews)
9.3

Products in the same category:

GNC Wheybolic Extreme 60 Reviews
Wheybolic Extreme 60 (79 Reviews)
Dymatize Elite Whey Reviews
Elite Whey (71 Reviews)

Related Forum Topics

Is it worth buying Platinum Hydro Whey over gold standard whey?
Considering platinum hydro is nearly double the price for half the protein...

Optimum 100% Whey vs Optimum Platinum Hydro Whey.
I am curently taking Optimum 100% Whey. I was worndering which is better for bui...

Optimum's NEW Protein (Platinum Hydro Whey)
Ok guys. Optimum is releasing a new protein in about 10 days at the Olympia.... ...

Jacked and Platinum Hydro Whey best supps for getting back into the gym?
Looking to get back into the gym just looking to put the muscle i lost back on a...

Pro Complex and Platinum Hydro Whey
My question is can you use Pro Complex for Pre-Workout and Platinum Hydro Whey f...

Platinum Hydro Whey and Aftershock Critical Mass
Someone told me to take the Platinum Hydro Whey in the morning and before bed as...

100% whey vs Platinum Hydro Whey vs nitro peak
I have experimented with all three of these products, but never committed to buy...

Pro Complex vs Platinum Hydro Whey
What are your guys' thoughts as to whether taking the new Hydro whey from O...

Get Involved!

Confused about Supplements?

FREE 7-Day Supplement Crash Course:

Description

Platinum Hydro Whey is a hydrolyzed protein created by Optimum Nutrition. What is hydrolyzed protein you ask? This means that the protein has been micro-fractioned into smaller pieces to be more easily and rapidly absorbed by the body. This both increases the purity of the protein and makes it highly beneficial for the times that a fast digesting protein source is desirable such as upon waking or post workout.

It is currently one of the best hydrolyzed proteins and ranks among best overall proteins on the market.

Platinum Hydro Whey Nutritional Info and Supplement Facts on: Links open in new window
Platinum Hydro Whey Reviews:

August 16, 2011

Age: 21

August 16, 2011
 A very honest review.
I splurged to buy this and if you think its expensive in America, try pying $90 in Aus!

Taste = 9/10. I got chocolate and it was amazing

Mixability = 9/10, very very easy to mix in water,egg white and milk, extremely soluble and no clumps

Effectiveness = This is the part thats bugging me the most, i'm a huge fan of ON proucts (recently picked up some Casein) but i noticed zero to little difference between this and gold standard. Yes i've gained aroun 14 lbs muscle in 11 weeks, but i attribute this mainly to hard training and a clean diet. I still felt the same soreness the next day as i did with gold standard (even with 6 scoops Xtend per day) and be sticking with gold standard from now on.

Overall = taste amazing, but not worth the money and had little effectiveness. Would only consider again if it was same price as gold standard which we all know isnt going to happen
Pros:
Cons:
  • Tastes Awesome
  • Smooth Texture
nmucha01
nmucha01

Joined: 5/2011
Reviews: 15
Reputation: +163
Dammit I meant to go for a + on that one, stupid smartphone :(

Good review dude the price to effectiveness of this product is definately it's weakness.

Tdevil
Tdevil

Joined: 10/2009
Reviews: 39
Reputation: +89
You're right, hydrowhey is a waste of money. The only thing that makes use of something SO purified is if you are lactose intolerant. The whole purity/speed of delivery is a myth. If you flood your system with a huge concentration of amino acids your kidneys just flush it right out anyway. Protein is merely food and you would have the same benefit from a cheap tub of Walmart protein. If you do need something with extreme purity, however, a cheaper (not much) alternative would be Isopure.

Joined: 8/2011
Reviews: 62
Reputation: +3031
honest review. it is a good product but its under 4lbs for a lg tub and i go thru that in a month. try the hydro builder its around the same price and you will see a noticeable change.

Reply #4:

Joined: 6/2011
Reputation: +14
hydrobuilder isn't in Aus yet haha. Ye i i think either stick with gold standard or Iso 100, which is prety good and a lot cheaper

August 20, 2011

ravikiranr

Age: 28

August 20, 2011
 Started taking hydrowhey 3 months back. Great value for money but the problem is money. Costs more than the normal whey. Has 30 gms of protein which Pro Complex too has. MyoFusion ain't bad either with 25 gms. Should say overpriced. My gains have been good though.
Good product if you have deep pockets.
  • Way Too Expensive
August 29, 2011

Chuck30

Age: 31

August 29, 2011
 I have been using this for awhile now. Really enjoy the taste, results and the fact that it mixes easy. It is expensive but with ON you get what you pay for. The low cal and carb make it a easy add in to diets. Helps keep keep my diet right.
    September 17, 2011

nofatchix

Age: 24

September 17, 2011
     probably hands down the best protein ive ever tasted.

pros: if god and giada de laurentiis made a protein then this would be it... best protein ive ever tasted hands down, next to biorythms 100% whole gains. my recovery was awesome. it mixes so well. the protein/carb/fat ratio was kick ai.

cons: assuming you take two shakes a day, it'll cost you a small car note for one month.

overall: ill probably buy this protein again if i ever win the powerball or if the price goes down (O.N. = naturally high priced). Pro Complex is still better bang for buck IMO, but ill never forget the true love i once had hydro whey.
    Pros:
    Cons:
    • Amazing
    • Godly Taste
    • Way Too Expensive
    JGAFF
    JGAFF

Joined: 2/2012
    Reviews: 0
    Reputation: 0
    Best Protein out there, this works wonders for me.

September 21, 2011

Age: 24

September 21, 2011
     This is a review I have looked forward to doing for awhile now. Platinum Hyrdowhey is one of the highest quality protein products on the market today. ON already has a great reputation here and abroad for making quality protein supplements, and this is one of the best they have.

How I took it: This was predominantly a post workout protein for me. I slowly Evolved how I used it, eventually to the point I am at now where I will mix in Dextrose, GlycoMaize, and Kre-Alk. There were times when I used this in the morning or between meals, but this is exclusively a post workout product for me now.

Profile(9/10): The profile on this product is one of the first things that grabs me about it. As the name implies, it’s sole protein source is hydrolyzed whey protein isolates. Which are the purest and fastest absorbing form of whey protein available on the market. On top of that, ON throws in 8 grams of micronized BCAAs, which help with protein synthesis in the body. Low in fat and carbs, this is ideal for someone on a cut, but can also pack a punch for someone on a bulk. The versatility of this seemingly simple formula makes it to where you can add other products to it at your whim. As started earlier, I mixed in post workout carbs as well as creatine to make my own custom post workout product. For those members who prefer this method, this product is the perfect base protein product to accomplish that.

Taste- I ended up trying all 4 flavors of Platinum Hydrowhey. I knew early on that this would be a product I would be using for a long time, so I wanted to see what flavor suited me best. I will rate the flavors in descending order by my preference:

Cookies and Cream OverDrive(9.5/10): This was my favorite flavor of Hydrowhey. Typically cookies and cream is my favorite flavor in any protein, and this protein was no exception. As far as cookies and cream flavors go this wasn’t my overall favorite, and is slightly bland compared to others like Syntha-6 and Muscle Milk, but still a joy for all cookies and cream fans like myself. This flavor also had the least amount of foam when shaken up and mixed easily.

Turbo Chocolate(9/10): A close second, this is one of the best chocolate flavored proteins I have ever had. It smells like Swiss Miss hot cocoa mix when you open the container and tastes equally as good. All chocolate fans should appreciate this flavor. This flavor also was not to bad as far as foaming up goes and also mixed well.

Velocity Vanilla(8/10): I’m typically not crazy for vanilla flavored proteins, but this one was not half bad. Not as bland tasting as many vanillas are, and no odd aftertaste that I’ve encountered with other products. This flavor did have an issue with foaming when shaken up, also kind of hard to distinguish with the white foam and white liquid. The mixability was good aside from the foam.

Supercharged Strawberry(6.5/10): This was the flavor I was most disappointed with. Usually I love strawberry flavored shakes/ice cream/proteins. This one, however did not meet up to my standards. To me, it tasted overly processed and fake, and even kind of chalky. Perhaps I got a bad batch of this flavor because it also foamed up horribly. I might find the courage to try another tub of this flavor, but I will probably opt for other flavors.

Effectiveness(10/10): I went through several stages of workout and dieting goals while on this product, whether it be a bulk, cut, or recomp. No matter what though, this product has been helpful and effective. While on a cut, this product helped assure that the only thing I lost was body fat, and not hard earned muscle mass. Once the cut was over and I eventually got back onto a lean bulk, this helped me in my goals to pack on muscle while not gaining excess fat. Bottom line is if you want a high quality post workout protein product no matter what your goal, this is a product you should take a look at.

Value(7/10): This is often a point of debate on this product. Some say it is worth the elevated price tag, while others say it way overpriced. I tend to take a middle ground on this. $58 for a 3.5 pound tub of protein ($1.45 a serving) is a very steep price tag, however I feel you also get what you pay for. A protein of this magnitude of quality will not come cheap, and obviously if you are on a strict budget this is not a good product to use. However, if you have the money to spend I recommend splurging and trying this product out.

Conclusion: Though this product is hard on the wallet, it is good on the body. Not many other protein products can hold a candle to this one as far as quality and effectiveness go. Aside from actual pre-made post workout formulas, this is the ideal post workout solution for anyone who can afford to expunge the money for it. I highly recommend this product, and I will definitely be using this again and again in the future.

Pros:
    Cons:
    • High Quality Protein
    • Only Sold In 1lb 1.75lb And 3.5lb

Excellent review!

Joined: 8/2011
    Reviews: 62
    Reputation: +3031
    yeah buddy!! their platinum line is amazing this and hydrobuilder. you can't go wrong if you got the money.

kris65

Great review +

Reply #4:

Reputation: +1044
    Thanks guys!

@hulk: Yea, once I cycle back on creatine I'm going to be on Hydrobuilder, can't wait!

Reply #5:

Reputation: +134
    ahhh i love hydrowhey. Excellent review.

Reply #6:

Joined: 7/2010
    Reviews: 46
    Reputation: +2497
    Awesome review Shinndigg, did you find that your recovery was quite a bit better with this as opposed ordinary Whey Isolate?

Reply #7:

Reputation: +1044
    Thanks Stocks! To answer your question, I honestly believe I did feel a difference. I used a cheap isolate in between tubs of Hyrdowhey, and I could tell the difference both in recovery and effectiveness. I'm not sure how much was placebo effect v.s. science, but definitely a substantial difference in my view.

Reply #8:

Joined: 7/2010
    Reviews: 46
    Reputation: +2497
    That's good to know, I've tried a few samples and got good results from them, but never tried a whole tub, might have to give it a try

Reply #9:
    santoshk
    santoshk

Joined: 11/2012
    Reviews: 0
    Reputation: 0
    great review! i have been using this product for quite sometime and have seen great results.. i prefer this product for morning 1st shake since it has a hydrolyzed form of whey which gets absorbed in body easily... i take this protein with plain water so taste-wise, i love strawberry flavour much much better than cookies or chocolates...

Reply #10:
    cssrss
    cssrss

Joined: 2/2013
    Reputation: +114
    Thorough and concise! I plan on using this in light of Hydro-Builder; I bloat with Creatine Mono.

October 9, 2011

Age: 26

October 9, 2011
     To start, I am on my third tub of this protein mix, and I have absolutely no intention of deviating at any point in time. This stuff is wonderful in every area thinkable; I will start now.

The results I have whilst taking HydroWhey have been amazing. I have increased vascularity post-pump and my muscles have been incredibly dense. A lot of factors have to be taken into account as well - like diet, sleeping habits, etc., but overall I can see a huge difference since making this my default protein.

The taste is out of this world. I have tried virtually every protein mix on the market, and this stuff tastes EXACTLY like chocolate Nesquik. It is really out of this world. This mixability for this product is unbelievable as well. I use a spoon to mix this up in a regular water glass. I have retired my shaker bottle, except for the occasional Casein mix.

I have had no side effects minus some bloating if I pound the drink a little too fast. I use two scoops per shake, and pound it pretty quickly when I get home from the gym. If I didn't pound it, the product goes down extremely smooth.

The other supplements I have been taking with HydroWhey have been OEP, Jack3d (in the past, I have been off both of these for about three months now), but I take Hydrowhey every mix with ON Fitness Fiber, ON Micronized Creatine, and 100% Casein at bedtime. I also used to take ON Fish Oil and USP Super Cissus RX, but I ran out not too long ago.

My exercise routine is pretty strenuous, so I need to get the most of out every meal and supplement. I do the Arnold's Encyclopedia advanced routine six days per week, so I need to be on top of my diet. I eat A LOT of chicken, green veggies, hardly any breads, and fresh fruits. I eat five times per day along with two shakes in between meals in case I get hungry.

I highly recommend this product to anybody whether you are new to working out or a veteran of the game. You will not be disappointed.

My only beef with this product is that it only goes up to 3.5lbs container. I would love it if they came out with a big bag like they do with the Gold Standard. Hydrowhey is also pretty expensive, but affordable. Check it out, you won't be disappointed.
    • Only Sold In 1lb 1.75lb And 3.5lb
    Saki24
    Saki24

Joined: 10/2011
    Reputation: +12
    Hey good review. What other proteins have you used to compare it to? Myofusion or dymatize?

Reputation: +26
    I've used Myofusion (which I liked a lot), 100% Gold Standard, Wheybolic, Pro Complex, etc. but none of these are comparable. I like Pro Complex a lot, but I think Hydro Whey made my muscles feel a little more dense over time, plus it's a little cheaper. I have never used Dymatize, so I have no comparison for it.

October 19, 2011

Age: 22

October 19, 2011
     This protein is by far the best protein I've ever taken! I love this stuff and dont plan on trying anything different anytime soon.

Taste: the taste is amazing! I normally get chocolate and it doesn't even taste like im drinking a protein shake. Very smooth drink and i never got clumps in mine.

Effectiveness: I always took this product right after i got done working out and noticed great recovery from this. This product will help build muscle.

I love this protein and will surely keep taking it. I love the BCAAS and the amount of protein per serving. The one down fall is that its a little on the pricey side but in my eyes its well worth it.
    • Smell Stays In The Cup/bottle

Reputation: +134
    Nothing beats Hydro Whey!

Str8up
    Str8up

Joined: 5/2011
    Reputation: +28
    This is you're third recent review. You're saying that you've tried this, oxyelitepro, and Purple Wraath all at the same time?

Joined: 10/2011
    Reputation: +8
    i didnt use oxyeltepro, i used C4 and no i used C4 before my workout and protein after and then used purple wraath while cycling off stimms

November 29, 2011

power1

Reviews: 1

Age: 25

November 29, 2011
     I've tried most every protein on the market and I really enjoy this one. It's very easily digested, tastes good and packs a high percentage of protein into each scoop. Optimum is always a brand that I feel I can trust... and with Hydro Whey it is no different. It's a little more pricey then some protein powders but there is definitely a reason.
    CamSTL
    CamSTL

Joined: 12/2009
    Reviews: 43
    Reputation: +1747
    Welcome to the site bro. Im not trying to diss your review. Just remember to be more detailed in it. You stated it digested easily, tasted good, was pricey..etc which is all good but it helps the users more if you decribe stuff like effectivness(what it did for you) how it affected your workouts,mixing, taste, sides, in it own litte section. Not trying to be "that guy" sorry if it comes off that way bro.

December 13, 2011

AngieW5361

Reviews: 20

Age: 19

December 13, 2011
     Just another hydrolyzed in my opinion, but they tend to all sit in the same ball park, so I would buy it again. Has a good amino profile as well as tastes good and mixes great.

Overall: Good protien, love me some aminos.

Effectiveness: Still got some solid gains while taking the regularly.

Value: Kind of pricey.. If I were to get a deal on it I'd buy it in a second.
    December 19, 2011

gibby11

Age: 20

December 19, 2011
     This is my favorite morning protein hands down... no fat or carbs just what you want in the morning or before a workout for good energy and long lean muscle. tastes best with no fat milk (water down slightly for less calories) unfortunately i cant say i love all the flavors... turbo chocolate is my fav. then cookies and cream.. maybe strawberry if use milk. vanilla sucks!
    • Slightly Expensive

Have you used Platinum Hydro Whey? Submit your own Review!

Tags: Platinum Hydrowhey, Optimum Nutrition Hydrolyzed Whey Protein Isolate