Platinum Hydro Whey

By: Optimum

Platinum Hydro Whey is a Whey Protein Powder manufactured by Optimum. It is a dairy based protein that supports lean muscle gain by suppling additional protein to recovering muscles, which can also improve fat loss.

Does Platinum Hydro Whey work?

I can't say enough good things about this protein. It's the fastest digesting protein on the planet making it a great choice for post-workout. Hydro-whey is loaded with 8.8g of BCAA's, 30g of hydrolyzed whey protein and 2 net carbs per serving. This is an absolute must for ckd dieters, cutting or even a lean bulk. Because this protein is such high quality I did not get any gas or bloating feeling while taking this.

-Effectiveness...

-Effectiveness 10/10: Being the fastest digesting protein available it definitely helped with recovery, helped maitain and build new lean muscle mass while cutting.

-Taste 10/10: I thought the turbo chocolate tasted absolutely amazing comapaired to other whey proteins that I have tried in the past.

-Mixability 10/10: Mixed with a shaker cup for about 10 seconds it mixes very smooth with no clumps....perfect mix.

-Value 7/10: This the only down fall that I can think of with this protein. 3.5 lbs is going to run you over $50 bucks anywhere you look.

Bottom line is if you can afford hydro-whey then get it. You will not be disappointed. In my opinion its the best and most effective whey protein money can buy.
  • Smooth Texture

As an introduction, i would like to state that this is an excellent product.

Calories: 140

Sci Fit Kre-Alkalyn
Sci Fit Glutalyn
Fish Oil
USP Labs Jacked
As an introduction, i would like to state that this is an excellent product.

Calories: 140

Fish Oil
USP Labs Jacked
SciVation Xtend
Multis

Results: 9/10 I used this towards the end of a lean bulking phase and through an entire cut. This definitely helped with immediate recovery and helped me maintain my strength during my cut. I even threw in a banana to speed up the recovery during the end of my bulk and beg of my cut. Two months into my cut i was forced to cycle off Kre-Alk. During my off cycle i still kept all my strength gains during my cut. I did lose bulk, but i know for sure i kept most of my lean muscle. During my cut my diet was about 95 percent clean with only 2 cheat meals.

Profile 10/10 The first ingredient on this product is Hydrolyzed Whey Protein Isolates, which are Protein Isolates that are broken down into smaller pieces for faster recovery. So basically your getting 30 grams of the highest quality protein available. In my opinion, this is the best product ON will ever make. This product is ahead of its time, and completely blows away its sister, Gold Standard 100 percent whey protein.

Taste 9/10 Its because this protein is so smooth, it tastes so amazing. Assuming that your buying this product, your a strict dieter, so your probably mixing this in water. Let me say that in ice cold water this stuff tastes amazing. Its has somewhat a creamy texture to it. I am currently towards the end my second container of Turbo Chocolate and am absolutely blown away.

Mix-ability 10/10 This stuff mixes so easily you wont even need a shaker cup. No clumps, No foaming, No problems.

Recommended For: People who are on cuts, people who want to lean bulk with minimal fat gain, people who want to stay Shredded year round. This is not a BS protein. Should not be used as a meal replacement or back up protein. With a strict diet and strategic lifting regimen, you will get mind blowing results, and get the most out of this product. This will most definitely satisfy your post workout protein needs. Only 140 calories and 2 grams of carbs with 30 grams of protein is just unbeatable. It is a very lean protein. Yes, i ate a banana with this post-workout, but in my opinion, you still need fast acting carbs post- workout during a cut to retain muscle mass. More muscle= More calories burned. My diet was very strict while using this product and this protein really aided me in accomplishing my goals.

Value 8/10 Yeah its expensive, but you get what you pay for, and thats quality.

To all the vets on this site: if you havent tried this, i urge you to give it a shot.

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Amazing
  • Smooth Texture
  • Tastes Awesome
  • Nice Texture
  • Great Recovery
  • Lots Of Bcaas
  • Godly Taste
  • Slightly Expensive

Hydrolyzed whey Protein is the fastest absorbing Protein available, and naturally, Optimum Nutrition has delivered a top notch product with Platinum Hydro Whey.
-Taste: This took me completely by surprise. I figured Optimum would do a good job with flavoring like they always do, but the hydrolyzed Proteins have a very hard to mask characteristic that often leads to a odd tasting Protein. This wasn't the case though.
**Velocity Vanilla 9.3/10: I'm not a fan of vanilla Proteins usually, so I was especially surprised with the flavor here. The bitterness of the hydrolyzed whey played well into the flavor overall. I will go as far as saying that this is the best vanilla Protein I've tried.
**Turbo Chocolate 9.5/10: The chocolate has a little bit of a bitter taste but not too much and is lighter on the flavor. The taste reminded me of classic Optimum chocolate flavor and it really grew on me. It's not the best in a market flooded with chocolate flavored Proteins, but it is still enjoyable to drink.
**Supercharged Strawberry 9.8/10: All I can say is wow. This by far is my favorite flavor of Hydro Whey and is top 3 of all Proteins I've tried. There's just something about the sweetness that appeals to me, even with water. I strongly suggest that if you are interested in trying Hydro Whey, you give this flavor a go.
-Mixability: 10/10 -- I can always depend on Optimum to deliver a mixable product, and they deliver once again. I was very impressed here as it mixed effortlessly in 5-7 shakes with no clumping in a shaker bottle. The product stayed mixed with uniform consistency, however, if you overshake it, you may have a little extra foam. I experimented with the flavor by adjusting more or less water and found a happy medium of 10oz of water per scoop.
-Ingredients: 9/10 -- Optimum makes some of the most tried and True Proteins in the industry and the only reason I'm not giving this a 10/10 is that there is no information currently available explaining the percents of hydrolysis and di- and tri- peptides. This has been a topic of discussion, but I feel the main point is that with 30g of Protein, 1g of fat, 2g of carbs and no sugar, ON is producing a high quality product like they always do and its up to the consumer to make their mind up on if they are going to purchase it or not. I personally think that this follows ON's tradition of keeping their Proteins simple, pure and exactly what is needed.
-Price 9.1/10: This was a tricky area for me. The price can make you wince, but you also have to remember that you are paying for quality here. I would like to see it a little cheaper, but I feel that the price is worth it for a quality product like this.
-Overall 9.6/10: ON has a great product here once again. The only turn off I could see is the price. A huge plus is that the flavoring is downright amazing and will allow more users to enjoy hydrolyzed whey Protein and not be turned off by its traditional bitterness. It mixes well, it tastes good and its from one of the most reliable companies in the industry, Optimum Nutrition. Excellent job here.
-AP
  • Awesome Ingredient Profile
  • Slightly Expensive

O.K boys here are my review on a great protein that I have been using for the past two months.
Intro- Hydro builder is the first whey that I have used that I noticed a better recovery. I would drink this product twice a day 1 1/2 scoop post and a 1/2 scoop mid-day for some on the go protein. Let's now get into the thick of things.

-------taste 9/10----------

-------taste 9/10----------
The taste of the hydro builder was very good mixed in either milk or water. I found my personal mix was 6oz cold water and 6ozcold skim milk. this mixture increased thickness and also gave some extra calorie while i was on a bulk.hydro whey also has other flavors if the turbo chocolate is not for you.

---------effectiveness 9/10------------
Hands down this is where this product shines. I have used many proteins from MyoFusion(2nd favorite and still use as my a.m shake and now mid-day snack) and other lower grade whey.this product came through with its recovery. The recovery aspect was IMO amazing to say the least. I would work out at around 9:30 at night and drink my shake and go to be, if you have seen my log most of my workouts are pretty long and I push till i can't go anymore. when I wake up i still feel the muscle tears but I can function at a high capacity with any real body pains and by 8 i feel great. Hydro whey also had a great content of solid ingredients
Ingredient Amount % Daily Value**
Sodium 190mg 8
Total Carbohydrate 2g 1
Sugars 1g
Calcium 10
You can't beat that list bulk or cut.

-----------------overall 7/10------------------------

The reason why I'm giving the product a lower score in this department is for the simple fact price to scoop ratio and the fact they do not make a 5lb jug. When a high end product comes around its great if you have the money to spring for it but other wise it can be very tough to obtain. At over $56 bucks for a 3.5 lb jug that only make 28 servings it is a very pricey product $2.10 per serving. The price to me was fair for the quality of product that hydro whey is and you will notice a significant difference in your recovery from the higher-grade protein.

I would use Hydro whey in the future as a staple supplement during all my bodybuilding phases. I would also recommend any to this product for its benefits in speedy recovery and great taste.
  • Only Sold In 1lb 1.75lb And 3.5lb

My BF bought me a 2lbs. tub of this in vanilla, because he wanted to be nice and "give me a gift of the best stuff." I used it only post-workout in the afternoons or evenings.

Flavor/mixabillity = 8/10

Flavor/mixabillity = 8/10
The vanilla was good, not great, but did blend well with everything I put into it. It was not a "sweet" tasting powder by any means (which I despise). The powder was the best mixing I have ever had in any protein powder. I could put it in milk, water, use a blender, or a spoon. there was no grit or unpleasant texture either.

Effectiveness = 8/10
I don't think that I could honestly say I have noticed more of a difference between using a certain protein vs another. I did play around after hard lifting sessions with this powder vs. another whey and I did notice that I was feeling more DOMS from other protein powders where I did not feel quite as sore after I used Hydrowhey. This really astounded me.

Cost = 5/5
@$35 for a 2.2 pound tub the cost of this is really high compared to other powders, even online or with deals through GNG/Vitamin Shoppe, etc.

I also should note that this gave me no issues with digestion or any other negative side effect that I can come up with from some protein powders.

Overall, I would DEFINITELY use this again, but the cost would probably only allow me to accept this as a gift from someone else ;-) It was one of the better powders I have tried and wish I could splurge on myself to keep it as a staple in my sup rotation.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Great Recovery
  • Smooth Texture
  • Tastes Awesome
  • Nice Texture

This is a review I have looked forward to doing for awhile now. Platinum Hyrdowhey is one of the highest quality protein products on the market today. ON already has a great reputation here and abroad for making quality protein supplements, and this is one of the best they have.

How I took it: This was predominantly a post workout protein for me. I slowly Evolved how I used it, eventually to the point I am at now where I will mix in Dextrose, GlycoMaize, and Kre-Alk. There were times when I used this in the morning or between meals, but this is exclusively a post workout product for me now.

Profile(9/10): The profile on this product is one of the first things that grabs me about it. As the name implies, it's sole protein source is hydrolyzed whey protein isolates. Which are the purest and fastest absorbing form of whey protein available on the market. On top of that, ON throws in 8 grams of micronized BCAAs, which help with protein synthesis in the body. Low in fat and carbs, this is ideal for someone on a cut, but can also pack a punch for someone on a bulk. The versatility of this seemingly simple formula makes it to where you can add other products to it at your whim. As started earlier, I mixed in post workout carbs as well as creatine to make my own custom post workout product. For those members who prefer this method, this product is the perfect base protein product to accomplish that.

Taste- I ended up trying all 4 flavors of Platinum Hydrowhey. I knew early on that this would be a product I would be using for a long time, so I wanted to see what flavor suited me best. I will rate the flavors in descending order by my preference:

Cookies and Cream OverDrive(9.5/10): This was my favorite flavor of Hydrowhey. Typically cookies and cream is my favorite flavor in any protein, and this protein was no exception. As far as cookies and cream flavors go this wasn't my overall favorite, and is slightly bland compared to others like Syntha-6 and Muscle Milk, but still a joy for all cookies and cream fans like myself. This flavor also had the least amount of foam when shaken up and mixed easily.

Turbo Chocolate(9/10): A close second, this is one of the best chocolate flavored proteins I have ever had. It smells like Swiss Miss hot cocoa mix when you open the container and tastes equally as good. All chocolate fans should appreciate this flavor. This flavor also was not to bad as far as foaming up goes and also mixed well.

Velocity Vanilla(8/10): I'm typically not crazy for vanilla flavored proteins, but this one was not half bad. Not as bland tasting as many vanillas are, and no odd aftertaste that I've encountered with other products. This flavor did have an issue with foaming when shaken up, also kind of hard to distinguish with the white foam and white liquid. The mixability was good aside from the foam.

Supercharged Strawberry(6.5/10): This was the flavor I was most disappointed with. Usually I love strawberry flavored shakes/ice cream/proteins. This one, however did not meet up to my standards. To me, it tasted overly processed and fake, and even kind of chalky. Perhaps I got a bad batch of this flavor because it also foamed up horribly. I might find the courage to try another tub of this flavor, but I will probably opt for other flavors.

Effectiveness(10/10): I went through several stages of workout and dieting goals while on this product, whether it be a bulk, cut, or recomp. No matter what though, this product has been helpful and effective. While on a cut, this product helped assure that the only thing I lost was body fat, and not hard earned muscle mass. Once the cut was over and I eventually got back onto a lean bulk, this helped me in my goals to pack on muscle while not gaining excess fat. Bottom line is if you want a high quality post workout protein product no matter what your goal, this is a product you should take a look at.

Value(7/10): This is often a point of debate on this product. Some say it is worth the elevated price tag, while others say it way overpriced. I tend to take a middle ground on this. $58 for a 3.5 pound tub of protein ($1.45 a serving) is a very steep price tag, however I feel you also get what you pay for. A protein of this magnitude of quality will not come cheap, and obviously if you are on a strict budget this is not a good product to use. However, if you have the money to spend I recommend splurging and trying this product out.

Conclusion: Though this product is hard on the wallet, it is good on the body. Not many other protein products can hold a candle to this one as far as quality and effectiveness go. Aside from actual pre-made post workout formulas, this is the ideal post workout solution for anyone who can afford to expunge the money for it. I highly recommend this product, and I will definitely be using this again and again in the future.
  • High Quality Protein
  • Only Sold In 1lb 1.75lb And 3.5lb

If it didn't before, Optimum now fully has the postworkout recovery corner completely covered. This supplement is a hydrolyzed whey isolate, meaning that it is highly purified and the most rapidly absorbed protein available today. Considering the purification process it has to go through, the Chocolate taste is actually pretty good. It tastes like a richer version of the Chocolate ON 100% Whey with a slight hint of cookies and cream (it seems like that to me, for some reason). As for the ingredient and nutritional profile, it can't be beat. 30 g hydrolyzed whey, 8.8 g BCAA, 5 g of glutamine and "precursors", and a wide array of conditionally, essential, and nonessential amino acids. Not to mention it is very low carb and has only 120 calories per servings. This is a fantastic recovery product to take while cutting (postworkout by itself as a low carb/calorie and high protein shake), while recomping (hat low fat as well and provides more than adequate amounts of protein), and for bulking (can be stacked with waxy maize or carb powder and other goodies for a do-it-yourself weight gainer). The absorption is great, absolutely no digestion problems to report. The recovery from this product is the greatest I've ever experienced from protein. I take 1 scoop with some Kre Alaklyn upon completing my workout and I feel like I can work the same muscle group THE NEXT DAY! It's down right crazy. We all know that greater recovery leads to coming back stronger and better for your next war with the weights, leading to greater output, which Ultimately leads to greater muscle mass. The single downfall of this product is the price. $60 for 40 servings?!? Come on, Optimum! This is so expensive that I only use it 4 days a week on weight training days. I have to find an alternate postworkout protein source on cardio and ab days, but the recovery I get from this on weight training days almost makes up for that. Overall, if you have the coin, this makes possibly THE end all be all postworkout product. It covers everything you need postworkout and it can be a very versatile part of your arsenal no matter what your goal is. Props to Optimum once again, just LOWER THE PRICE!
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Lots Of Bcaas
  • Great Recovery
  • Way Too Expensive
  • Did I Mention Expensive?
deeja

I finally get to write my hydro whey review. There was a lot of build up and I sold lots of this stuff when I was at GNC, but is it all it's Cracked up to be?

I'll start with taste. Low calorie protein powders tend to taste like garbage, and to date I've only found one that's actually good: IsoFlex. Hydro whey however is very good tasting. I had chocolate and I could drink it alone no problem. Might be the little bit of fat they added, but it works. Unfortunately as far as I know, they only make chocolate, vanilla and strawberry =/

Now for effectiveness. Here's the big one. Is the hydrolized whey that much better than regular isolate...NERP. I found no difference in recovery between the two and this is really the basis of my rating this a maybe (It still got 8 for effectiveness because whey isolates usually would get an 8 for me). The big selling point on this product is the absorption rate, but for me it didn't change much. If my diet was on point 100% and I looked at every calorie and analyzed everything that went into my mouth then it could make a difference, but for the average joe, don't waste your money.

Which brings me to my next point. MONEY!!! The value of this product was not good. It was very expensive for 44 (i think) servings, granted every scoop was 30g of protein, but it was still around 55 bucks online...TOO MUCH. Label is pretty badai though.

So now my final verdict for hydro whey is that if you're a bodybuilder, or if you REALLY watch your diet and have an amazing mind body connection, then this product could benefit you, however for the average gym joe, I do not see the value. Most of us don't watch our diet to the calorie, which means that recovery can change on a day to day basis. For me, an isolate works just as well for less money.
  • Way Too Expensive
  • Not Better Than Isolates

It's really hard to write a good review on a protein because other than factors such as taste/gastric comfort/discomfort there's no real way to tell how it's working inside your body. Unlike an NO product, you don't "feel" the protein being delivered to your muscles, and although a good protein can help with recovery, recovery is more so determined by your diet/sleep. That being said, I can honestly say that I think this is the best protein I've ever used. My recovery was excellent, and although I used it on my cutting cycle I made small strength/size gains. Although the value isn't great, if you use this product strictly post-workout it will actually last you a long time, and in that regard it actually has a pretty good value. The flavor was awesome, I used the velocity vanilla flavor and it tasted like whipped marshmallows (no exaggeration). I don't understand why 100% Whey tastes so bad compared to this. Not once did I ever dread having to consume this, and if anything I was always looking forward to it because it was so delicious. Also, the product never gave me any gastric discomfort whatsoever - no bubble gut, no heavy feeling in my stomach. I was pretty sad when I ran out because I knew I wouldn't be able to afford more for a while. This is probably the best post-workout protein you can take on the market. If you have the money, by all means use it.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Amazing

A very honest review.
I splurged to buy this and if you think its expensive in America, try pying $90 in Aus!

Taste = 9/10. I got chocolate and it was amazing

Mixability = 9/10, very very easy to mix in water,egg white and milk, extremely soluble and no clumps

A very honest review.

Taste = 9/10. I got chocolate and it was amazing

Effectiveness = This is the part thats bugging me the most, i'm a huge fan of ON proucts (recently picked up some Casein) but i noticed zero to little difference between this and gold standard. Yes i've gained aroun 14 lbs muscle in 11 weeks, but i attribute this mainly to hard training and a clean diet. I still felt the same soreness the next day as i did with gold standard (even with 6 scoops Xtend per day) and be sticking with gold standard from now on.

Overall = taste amazing, but not worth the money and had little effectiveness. Would only consider again if it was same price as gold standard which we all know isnt going to happen
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Tastes Awesome
  • Smooth Texture
Copyright © 2015 SupplementReviews.com. All rights reserved.