Platinum Hydro Whey Reviews

By: Optimum

Overall Score   How is this Calculated?

Ranks #1 of 102 (better than 100%) in
Protein > Whey Protein

Platinum Hydro Whey is a Whey Protein Powder manufactured by Optimum. It is a dairy based protein that supports lean muscle gain by suppling additional protein to recovering muscles, which can also improve fat loss.
INGREDIENTS (5)
THIS PRODUCT
(Amount not disclosed)

Pre-digested form of whey protein that speeds digestion and absorption by the body.

THIS PRODUCT
(Amount not disclosed)

One of the 3 branched chain amino acids that help stimulate muscle protein synthesis and glucose uptake.

COMPARE SIMILAR

Zachdylan
  January 9, 2016

----Introduction----

This is my first formal supplement review - and first for supplementreviews.com. I read many reviews on many different websites; however, I keep coming back to supplementreviews.com because I feel as if the reviews provide an authentic, unbiased opinion of supplements. I am currently a senior full-time nursing student focusing on gaining strength. I follow a power-lifting style training program and have been working out consistently for the past few years. I'm currently trying to put on some weight. I've tried many different protein powders, but received a sample of Optimum Nutrition Platinum Hydro Whey from the Olympia expo this past year. I really liked it, and picked up a tub last month from Vitamin Shoppe because I had a $10 off coupon. Because the product is quite expensive, I figured it would be worth it to pick up a tub as long as I had the coupon.

----Ingredient Profile----

What most people will notice right away is the high protein content per scoop. Each 39g scoop offers 30 grams of hydrolyzed whey protein derived from whey protein isolate. 2 grams of carbohydrate and 1 gram of fat round out the macronutrient profile. This is my first time consuming protein that is hydrolyzed. Hydrolyzed protein is rapidly absorbed by the body. I also like the fact that Optimum includes an enzyme blend with this protein.

----Taste/Mixability/Dosing----
I bought the "Velocity Vanilla" flavor and am pleased with the flavor. It isn't the best vanilla flavored protein I've ever tried, but for the macronutrient profile, it's more than sufficient for my needs. In my opinion, it tastes a lot better than their vanilla Gold Standard Whey. I took one scoop post-workout for the duration of the tub. It mixed very well using a shaker bottle and plain water - no clumps. I occasionally blended it together with milk and strawberries in a Ninja blender as a treat. It tasted absolutely out-of-this world!

----Effectiveness----
It's hard to judge the effectiveness of whey protein. I will rate this product an 8/10 because I have noticed reduced recovery time and decreased soreness between workouts.

----Value----
Here's the kicker - this product is expensive. My local Vitamin Shoppe sells the 1.75 lb tub for $34.95. With each tub containing 20 servings, you're looking at almost $1.75 per scoop. I'm fortunate that I had a coupon, so it wasn't much more expensive than a traditional tub of whey protein; however, if you're buying this product full price - expect to pay generously for it.

----Side Effects----
It's hydrolyzed whey protein. I noticed no side effects. I will note that I didn't experience any GI issues while taking this protein. My stomach is pretty sensitive to whey, and some lower-quality protein really messes me up. I really liked the fact that I could consume 30 grams worth of whey with no discomfort!

----Conclusion----
8.5/10
Overall, this is a great product. I will definitely be picking this up again if I can afford it. The taste, mixability, and macronutrient profile are what really sell this product for me. The only downfall I can think of is the high price. If you can afford it, this is an excellent product!
  • Velocity Vanilla: 9/10
Faymus
  August 19, 2015

----Introduction----
So presently, I am 260 LBs with a higher BF%. When I was dieting prior to moving due to a client I picked up, I was around 220 with a very low BF% and going to the gym 6-7 days of the week for roughly an hour each visit. This is when I initially had been using the Platinum Hydrowhey by Optimum Nutrition. It was actually suggested to me by a sponsored athlete of another company, so for him to suggest something outside of the brand he represented, was to me an indicator of a good/successful product. I am now using this protein again as I am dieting and hoping to get back into my old ways.

----Ingredient Profile---- 10/10
I can't really say too much about the ingredient profile as I am not an expert in any way to supplement ingredients. I know the basics however which to me, it seems as though is enough to get me by.

I do know, and the trainer also had mentioned to me, that Hydrolyzed Whey Protein Isolates (which is the first ingredient on the label) are of very high quality in this product and will also provide a quicker recovery. This had me intrigued alongside the faster digestion of the protein. To me, and from what I have learned, the ingredient profile on this product is of a very high standard.

----Taste/Mixability/Dosing---- 9/10
The taste of this product is great. I always liked it, and even my significant other has it here and there because she thinks it tastes like a "healthy shake" in her words.

I have tried around 4 flavors although I only have two on me right now that I can comment with clarity on.

I always freeze my protein shakes for a little bit prior to drinking them, because I like the "shake" texture the ice brings after shaking it up a bit. This however doesn't need to be done although I still do it anyways. This may effect my taste a little bit on both the flavors however they both taste superb. I have tried them both when not frozen, and I do get a small, and I mean minuscule, chalky taste afterward but that's expected in any and all protein powders. I find it to be much more subtle than the others I have tried.

----Effectiveness---- 10/10
This protein has definitely helped aid in recovery. I had it after each workout and I can say that my recovery had some good improvements while using this protein. It's really hard to judge having taking it some time ago, but I do recall my recoveries going very smoothly allowing me to workout 6-7 days a week.

----Value---- 8/10
So you get what you pay for, this stuff is great. I do have to complain about the price a bit because the price is rather high. I don't think there is much to say other than if you are able to afford it with ease, it's definitely worth it. Having been told by my trainer to get this type of protein, I was a bit shocked by the price, but overall, I understand why it was suggested and didn't have an issue paying the cost for it.

----Conclusion----
Overall, this is my go to protein now. I went through 3-4 other proteins prior to using this, and although I will be paying a bit more, I think it's worth it. I would highly recommend this to those who are able to afford it and to serious athletes who will see great benefits from the quicker recovery benefits.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Great Recovery
  • Tastes Awesome
  • Slightly Expensive
Samazon

May 19, 2014

My BF bought me a 2lbs. tub of this in vanilla, because he wanted to be nice and "give me a gift of the best stuff." I used it only post-workout in the afternoons or evenings.

Flavor/mixabillity = 8/10
The vanilla was good, not great, but did blend well with everything I put into it. It was not a "sweet" tasting powder by any means (which I despise). The powder was the best mixing I have ever had in any protein powder. I could put it in milk, water, use a blender, or a spoon. there was no grit or unpleasant texture either.

Effectiveness = 8/10
I don't think that I could honestly say I have noticed more of a difference between using a certain protein vs another. I did play around after hard lifting sessions with this powder vs. another whey and I did notice that I was feeling more DOMS from other protein powders where I did not feel quite as sore after I used Hydrowhey. This really astounded me.

Cost = 5/5
@$35 for a 2.2 pound tub the cost of this is really high compared to other powders, even online or with deals through GNG/Vitamin Shoppe, etc.

I also should note that this gave me no issues with digestion or any other negative side effect that I can come up with from some protein powders.

Overall, I would DEFINITELY use this again, but the cost would probably only allow me to accept this as a gift from someone else ;-) It was one of the better powders I have tried and wish I could splurge on myself to keep it as a staple in my sup rotation.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Great Recovery
  • Nice Texture
  • Tastes Awesome
  • Smooth Texture
RajSuper
  April 24, 2013

Hi all, my first review :-) in fact, of any product. I started working out about two years back. Was not using any proteins for almost 6-7 months and my trainer recommended ANY protein shake after work out. I chose Platinum Hydro whey as guy in the shop said this is the best. I have to say he was spot on and have been using this since then.

Currently my routine is two days moderate weight training, one day cardio and one day Cross fit. I am not a body builder and I don't use any other supplements.

I was initially skeptical of using this product as it had too many ingredients which I did not understand at all and still don't. So this is going to be a layman's review. I take this product post work out and only on gym days.

1. I have not put on any muscles by using this product but this helps a lot in recovery as I noticed that the days I did not take this product I felt more tired/ fatigued than days when I did take it.

2. I have tried all flavors except chocolate peanut butter. Vanilla is least favorite but turbo chocolate is amazing. I have ordered choc peanut now and cant wait for this. Mixing is very easy and the texture is great

3. My body fat was high (25.5% PBF, weight 81kgs) before I started using platinum hydro whey and pre gym days. I lost nearly 7 kgs of fat in the last 1 year and don't feel fatigued or tired at all. I would like to give 30% of the credit to platinum hydro whey (and 70% due to gym work). I am not sure if all protein product have this effect but this one works for sure. I know I have still some way to go.

4. I am intolerant to milk, cheese or dairy products. This product is perfect for me. Though label tells that it might have traces of milk, it had no effect on me. I don't feel bloated.

5. I wish this product was cheaper than what it is. But I am now spoilt since I have started using this product. I tried to switch and tried ISO pure dutch choc low carb which was discounted. Taste of ISO was terrible and very grainy texture but recovery was same as platinum. I am open to trying to new ones if some one recommends a cheaper but tasty and effective alternative. Pls recommend before i go bankrupt.

6. This product does not smell during drinking. However the smell does stay in the bottle even when u wash with boiling water. I don't care anymore.

7. For first time users of protein powders - this one does not have any unwanted side effects even after continued usage for a prolonged period. The reason I say this is because I was worried a lot about side effects when I started.

Overall very happy with this product and little sad that there doesn't seem to be a equally good alternative as I am starting to get bored with this product.

VANatural
  December 4, 2012

Well, here is my first review. A brief introduction; I am a senior in high school, preparing for my first ever show on April 2013. I've always used SupplementReviews, but never made an account, so here it goes. Now, the review.

Over the summer, I went through 3 of the half-tubs of this, all in different flavors. The effectiveness of this product shocked me and got me to review it. I've taken ON's 100% Whey on many occasions, as well as their Serious Mass, and Micronized Creatine Powder, which I took while taking Hydro Whey. My diet and exercise were pretty amped up during my run with this, as I had the ability to eat tons of food and train at a nice gym. I picked up the 3 half tubs of this at GNC before I left to stay at a college for 5 weeks, which was where I used it.

Price 7/10
The price is pretty high and I'd argue it's not worth that much, but I've found some sites that sell it pretty cheap.

Taste 6/10
Okay, so the cookies and cream is pretty bad in my opinion and I usually love that flavor (especially with GNC's Amplified Mass. It left an awful smell in my blender bottle that wouldn't go away when I washed it. The vanilla was probably the best out of the three (the other being chocolate) but it was by no means great. I'm using the chocolate flavor again now, and now that I'm using waxy maize as well, I can say the chocolate flavor has an awful contrast to it (some other products, for example, Universal Ultra Whey Pro, tasted nice with it).

Effectiveness 9/10
This is an extremely effective post-workout protein. It's hydrolized as most of you know, so it's triple filtrated and there are free peptides in it, so it makes for very fast absorption. I felt a huge increase in strength and recovery with this. I wouldn't attribute that at all to ON's Micronized Creatine Powder, because I stopped using it for a while and eventually cut it out altogether because it wasn't working for me. I respond much better to pump products (like Animal Pump) than creatine monohydrate products alone. But, seriously, I went up in strength like crazy, though I'd attribute some of that to the Animal Pump I started using about halfway through my 5 week stay.

Mixability 8/10
It mixes really well with water (I never tried it with milk or juice) and leaves no clumps. It's pretty average though, nothing to rave about. Keep in mind, I didn't use the full two scoops, I used about 1 and 2/3 because I don't believe my body would digest all 60g of fast-absorbing protein, nor does it need it. but a little under 50g worked well.

Side Effects 0/10
It's whey protein.

I gained about 30 lbs on a pretty lengthy dirty bulk and Hydro Whey was my post workout for the majority of it. I absolutely love it. I would reccomend this product to anyone looking specifically for a post workout protein. It's especially beneficial when on a cut, like I am now, because of the high amounts of protein you need to maintain hard-earned muscle, but it also works well on a bulk, like I was over the summer. Overall, it's an amazing product and I hope this review helped!

• Way Too Expensive
  • Did I Mention Expensive?
RBunny
  October 22, 2012

This review is a bit overdue, but here goes...

I know everybody is going to say I'm just following the crowd, but I love Optimum Nutrition Supps.

TASTE AND MIXABILITY: 10/10

The taste and mixability were awesome! I cannot promote this product to all of my friends. (To anybody reading this review, see my Optimum Nutrition Hydro Builder to know I am not affiliate with this company in any way whatsoever - Pretty Bad product). The saying of something being "Just like a chocolate milkshake" was very true with this product. I inherently use these forums from ww.supplementreviews.com in choosing what supps I use next. Yes it is true I am a fan of ON, but I have not found another protein shake that even comes close to this yet. Taste and mixability are a massive bonus for this product!

EFFECTIVENESS: 10/10
I loved using this straight after a workout. It really increased my recovery time. I would literally smash myself in the gym. I could always know that after my workout, I could get this into me and feel a thousand times better. (NOTE: To any people new to supps or working out, this does not make you feel instanteously better, but it certainly makes you feel great a lot faster than what you would have otherwise).

VALUE: 6/10
You are looking around between 89.95 and 99.95 here in Australia. Once again, supp prices here are through the roof, so there is very little value for money. But this is definitely one of the best protein shakes, so have given the value of it a higher scoring.

Overall, this is one of those supps that I would keep going back to time and time again. Optimum Nutrition are onto a good thing with this and should keep going.

Love this supp, and would recommend to anybody.

RB
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Amazing
  • Nice Texture
  • Did I Mention Expensive?
  • Way Too Expensive
sy
  July 13, 2012

This was incidentally the first product that was recommended to me by a good friend of mine and I'd been waiting to pen down this review for a long time.

Flashback to 4 months ago. Even after a thorough recommendation from my buddy, being new to protein supplementation at that point of time I was highly skeptical of purchasing this product considering the slightly expensive price tag it comes with(depending on your budget perhaps, personally it was a little more than i was comfortable spending).

Being the value shopper that i prided myself on, I chose to not listen to him and started off with store brand whey proteins and gradually migrated onto better stuff like muscle milk and eventually monster milk.

I was looking to get lean and it was then that I gained some more knowledge about carbohydrates and how to limit them in accordance with carb-cycling.

I was getting average results with what i had been on and I realized that the hi carbohydrate content of some of the other whey powders aren't really helping the supplementation and carbohydrate cycling cause.

I finally gave in and bought this about 5 weeks back because of the low-carbohydrate content.

It's been 4 weeks since I've been on this stuff and it's hands-down, the best I've tried so far on all grounds including the all important taste-factor.

I take it twice (pre and post workout) during the day and it works just the way that its supposed to. No fancy talk. Just facts.

As regards the premium price, I'd rather make sacrifices like opting out of the premium cable package and skipping my fancy green tea
just to ensure that i can continue to fit this in to my budget.

I'm sticking with this for a long time to come. It's hard to come across something that i like which turns out to be super effective as well.

That being said this is of course not a miracle product for the simple reason that "they don't exist".

Just gulping down a shake won't make anyone look like an Olympian bodybuilder overnight.

The right kind of diet and training regime along with supplying the proper nutrients is what gets results and to achieve these results the right supplements matter.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Amazing
  • Smooth Texture
  • Tastes Awesome
  • Nice Texture
  • Great Recovery
  • Lots Of Bcaas
  • Godly Taste
Desperado
  March 29, 2012

Definitely the be-all end-all of protein supplements (and I have tried them all). This is the purest, finest whey protein supplement on the market and it's loaded with BCAA's and Glutamine. It tastes great and it's easy to mix (no lumps even in a shaker cup) so you can bring it to school or the office.

I had used IsoPure for most of my bodybuilding life since I tried the other brands and the all upset my stomach after consistent use. Even IsoPure did help my gut after a couple days of consecutive use. With Hydro Whey, I can take it almost every day after my workout (60 grams) and I have no gas, bloating, diarreah, etc. so I know the protein is assimilating well into my damaged muscle tissue. I only use once a day post workout and not at all on off days to give my stomach a break. I take two pills of Digest-All with the shake and this also seems to really help with the protein synthesis. Since this is a pure protein (no carbs) I like to add some quick carbs to replenish my glycogen stores and curb catabolism. Recently, I use Glycoject by Evogen, but I have used CytoCarb by CytoSport in the past and another dextrose-based product (can't remember the maker).

Taken with carbs and digestive enzymes, you really can't beat this combination as a post-workout/recovery protein shake. I have noticed my muscles are fuller and rounder and my recovery is unbelievable. I am also able to eat a real meal 30 minutes to an hour after taking this shake, so I do not have to substitute this for a meal becuase that is not good to do.

I think protein powders are really overrated, but this is the only one I will take ever again. It is now a staple in my supplement regime.
    gclar39
      February 6, 2012

Hydrowhey is the 3rd protein that I've tried from ON. I've had 100% Whey, and Pro Complex as well. This has given me the best results thus far.

-----------------------------------------------

*Taste/Mixability: 7.5/10*
    The mixability of this powder is very good. I normally had to add a little bit more water or milk than other proteins to get a consistency that was to my liking. As long as you have a handy blender bottle it mixes just fine. The taste is not so great in my opinion. Compared to other ON proteins it disappointed me in this department. In the end its about results though not taste.

*Effectiveness: 9/10*
    Hydrowhey was extremely effective for me. I ramped up my training to lower volume but high intensity with a lot of Tabatta training for cardio on the bike etc, and this was great for helping me recover. I rarely got sore and I believe its due to how fast this protein can help digest and all the BCAAs etc that are in it.

*Value: 9/10*
    I paid 56.99 for a 3.5 lb tub, which is 40 scoops give or take. With the math, that's about $1.42 a scoop. For how effective it was that is a small price to pay. It seemed to last awhile too, so I definitely feel I got my moneys worth.

---------------------------------------------

*Overall: 9/10*
    I loved this protein overall. It has a few downsides: taste, 3.5 lb, but there is a downside to just about every protein. The results, along with a strict diet and routine, helped me lose a bit of fat and bulk up. Not too much, but I definitely noticed lean muscle mass gain in my legs and back while using. This is a must try if you have the $$ to pay for it.
    • Only Sold In 1lb 1.75lb And 3.5lb
    nickz3
      October 19, 2011

This protein is by far the best protein I've ever taken! I love this stuff and dont plan on trying anything different anytime soon.

Taste: the taste is amazing! I normally get chocolate and it doesn't even taste like im drinking a protein shake. Very smooth drink and i never got clumps in mine.

Effectiveness: I always took this product right after i got done working out and noticed great recovery from this. This product will help build muscle.

I love this protein and will surely keep taking it. I love the BCAAS and the amount of protein per serving. The one down fall is that its a little on the pricey side but in my eyes its well worth it.
    • Slightly Expensive

Copyright © 2016 SupplementReviews.com. All rights reserved. All trademarks are property of their respective owners.