Platinum Hydro Builder

By Optimum
Platinum Hydro Builder Optimum
8.5/10
(Weighted average based on 25 Reviews)

Ranks #4 of 44 (better than 93%)
in Protein > Post-Workout Recovery Formulas
Dashboard Reviews Discussion Related Prices

petey7408

Hydrobuilder is essentially a very simple product

Ah, yes, I'm sure that this has been a review that many have been curious about. Platinum Hydrobuilder is the latest developement from Optimum Nutrition using a combination of tried and true ingredients as well as a few goodies that are unique to this product.

I would also like to thank the outstanding customre relations at Optimum for sponsoring my post workout recovery with 2 tubs of this as well as allowing many of our members the chance to give this product a try as well. (Don't worry for all of those reading, this is an unbiased review as always, regardless of Optimum providing the product.)

-Mixability/Texture: 9.1/10
This is one of the most subjective areas for rating this particular product. I found it interesting that when mixing with the recommended amount of water, it came out a little thick and when adding a little more water, it would quickly become almost too runny so that's an experiment in itself. No complaints about the mixing as it mixes completely with no clumping and minimal foam. The texture can take a little adjusting as well due to the thickness, but you'll find it very familiar if you've used casein before.

-Taste: 9.2/10
Taste wise, I enjoyed both the Chocolate and the Vanilla with both flavors growing on me the longer I used the product. Be warned, one aspect that I experienced as well as many others from the reviews I've seen, is that there is a particular part of the aftertaste that I just never got used to. This isn't a big deal considering that amount of ingredients in this and that hydrosylates and Creatine Powder are hard flavors to mask, so that considered, the flavoring is impressive.

-Ingredient Profile: 9.9/10
This is the most impressive aspect of Hydrobuilder. The protein source utilized is the 'CreaPep' system, consisting of hydrolyzed whey isolate, casien, hydrolyzed whey, and hydrolyzed egg creating a time released matrix for protein digestion, going along with the recent research suggesting protein sources of various rates are best for post workout. Add in digestive enzymes, 5 grams Creapure which is one of the best creatines on the market, a good dose of aminos and even throw in betaine, you simply can't go wrong. They cut no corners here, producing another outstanding product.

-Effectiveness: 9.5/10
This product came out at a perfect time for me, as I was in the middle stages of a cutting phase. With only 180 calories and 8 grams of carbs, it was nice to finally have a protein/creatine post workout blend that had minimal carbs. Some many have been disappointed initially that they didn't include carbs in the formula, but I actuallly found it ideal as it allows the user to add in their desired carb source and amount rather than go with the set formula, which is just what I was looking for. With that being said, I used is for an even 40 workouts during a cutting phase, and combined it with my own post workout carb source (I'll omit this as I utilized more than one and the sources are a whole other review). During this time, I experienced outstanding recovery, maintained strength across the boards and didn't notice any dips in performance despite being in a caloric deficit. When I come across a product that can deliver in all of these areas during the rigid demands of my cut, I'd say we have a winner.

-Value: 9.5/10
Out of the gate, many complained about the price of this product, but I actually feel it's priced very well. It's on par with price per serving to many post workout supplements, so I don't consider it outrageous. With all of the hydrolyzed protein and the high end Creapure creatine, they certainly didn't skimp for the amount that they are charging. Then of course there are the results, and I feel they more than justify the cost.

-Overall: 9.6/10
Hydrobuilder is essentially a very simple product, and that's exactly what I like about it. Combine hydrolyzed proteins for fantastic absorption with high quality creatine and amino acids and you're left with a tried and true formulation. Once again, Optimum shines with a highly anticipated product. I really enjoyed my run of Hydrobuilder and will definitely be using it again.

-AP

Posted June 10, 2011
    Good review petey. I agree the after taste is strange..

kevO

Good Review Petey.
    I had a bunch of samples and did not enjoy the taste at all. However, when I mixed it with Greek Yogurt to make a 'sludge' it was fantastic.

Posted June 10, 2011
    petey great review brotha!!! i love this product and have a jug at work and home depending where i am and work out. best taste,best balance of ingredients. i will use this forever. awesome review i think i will stay away from my review because you killed this one.

diazr01

Great review, I'm interested now

Posted June 10, 2011
    Great review, love hydrowhey but have only stuck to the vanilla bean flavour, not sure to try chocolate as people have said its not as nice, what flavour do you think is the best.

workoutguru

Posted June 11, 2011
    Good job on the review petey. I got a sample of this stuff and thought it was pretty good. I really liked the ingredients they put in this stuff. For only having 7 servings in the sample container I thought it worked good. I started to noticed I had a lot better recovery and felt like I got a little stronger. I would like to get more of this but for me I think it's a little expensive.

Posted June 11, 2011
    F.U. PETEY!!! your reviews are always too good haha

Posted June 11, 2011
    Great review, I've been wanting to try this for some time now.

Frankiemusc

Posted June 11, 2011
    Awesome review but decimal points petey, really???

Are u an Olympic judge on the side?

swazz

Posted June 11, 2011
    I'm so sick of these uninformative reviews. Driving me crazy......

fmrPRO

Posted June 11, 2011
    Dang this is still up here?! I mean great review but take it off the main page and give it it's own "greatest review of all time" page ;)

petey7408

Posted June 12, 2011
    Thanks for all the feedback guys!

@Frankie: Haha, haven't you seen my other reviews? Decimals all around!

@Swazz: Sorry to let you down bro, I'll see if I can be a little more descriptive next time around.

@fmrPro: I don't know about greatest review of all time, but I'll see if I can top it!

-AP

JMetal12

Posted June 12, 2011
    Killer review bro. You got me pumped to try this product now. Def. adding it to my list.

swazz

Posted June 12, 2011
    It's ok, I forgive you. ON should probably pay you royalties on this review cause I am pretty sure you just sold 50 tubs of it at least. lol

mo
    (-1)

Posted June 12, 2011
    will it give the same results if i take it during working out another question how much carbs should i take postworkout

venom434

i understand that this is a very high quality protein

I was excited when i saw that this was going to be released and I've had good experiences with most of Optimum Nutrition's products. now i'm not bias by any means, i just believe they make high quality products at reasonable prices. i recently finished up two 20 serving tubs of this, one of each flavor and now it's time to wright the review.

Ingredients: per serving it features - over 13.5g EAAs, 5g Micronized Creapure Creatine Monohydrate, 2.5g BetaPower Natural Betaine, 2g Micronized BCAAs, Micronized L-Glutamine, Micronized L-Arginine, Taurine, L-Alanine, L-Carnitine Tartrate, Micronized L-Citrulline, 200mg Enzymes Beet Root Fiber, Amylase, Protease, Cellulase, Lactase, Lipase. 170/180 calories depending on what flavor you get, 2/1g fiber, 30g protein, 7/8g carbs, 2g sugar and 1.5 saturated fat.

very impressive i'd have to say, probably one of the best out there on the market currently. this is definitely a Muscle Builder, very high quality ingredients, ydrolyzed Whey Protein Isolate, Micellar Casein, Hydrolyzed Whey Protein], Whey Protein Concentrate, Hydrolyzed Egg Albumen). the 5g Creatine is really awesome because if you don't necessarily have to by a second creatine product because it's already in here.

Mixability/Texture/Taste: never really had any clumps, put a serving in my shaker bottler and shook it for about 30 seconds and i was good to go. texture was rather thick for my liking, this is due to the larger scoop size. so what i did was add more liquid to thin it out, roughly 16oz or so. normally i like my shakes with low fat skim milk; but because of the larger scoop i used water most of the time to make less thick. surprisingly whether it was mixed with water or milk the taste really didn't seem to change that much.

i had both Chocolate Shake and Vanilla bean; i didn't mind either flavor, they were Okay but nothing great; although the Vanilla was just a little too sweet for me. they both had a strange after taste, it wasn't horrible but tolerable; this was more than likely due to the Creatine within the ingredients.

Effectiveness: awesome once again; i just took one scoop post workout and one scoop upon waking on rest days. it didn't give me any bloat or upset stomach which is always good. when i ordered this i also was taking ON Glutamine 1000 caps, i received a few bottles for free with my Hydro Builder purchase and i was also taking CL Green Mag. i felt like my recovery time was greatly enhanced and because it contains the 5g creatine, plus the Green Mag; strength gains were definitely solid as well.

Value: i ordered mine from BodyBuilding.com like most of my orders. it was nice to receive a 3 free bottles of ON Glutamine 1000 caps with my Hydro Builder Purchase(one bottle i got for free because they screwed up my order). it comes in 7 servings for $11.99, 20 servings for $34.99 and 40 servings for $57.99.

Overall: i understand that this is a very high quality protein, but it's still expensive for the amount of servings you get. it kinda caught me off guard because most of Optimum Nutrition's products are priced decently. obviously i'm not saying this is a had product because i have it a good rating and recommendation, it's just the price that would keep me from buy this all the time.

if you can afford to take this all the time i would say go for it, although you would have to cycle it due to the Creatine it contains. i could also see myself buying this again in the future, i would also like to see the price come down a bit too. this is good for cutting and wanting to keep strength and muscle, bulking to improve strength and muscle or simply maintaining. it will do a good job in any of those as long as your diet and exercise routine are in check.

Pros:
    Cons:
    • Tastes Okay With Or Water
    • Helps Recovery Time
    • Great Nutritional Breakdown
    • Weird After Taste

Tastes okay with Milk or Water*

Blade410

Great review Venom

chefneilde

Posted June 19, 2011
    I saw somewhere that that they stack hydrowhey, casien & builder. What do you think of that stack?

Posted June 19, 2011
    @chefneilde - i think stacking the Hydro Builder/Casien would be okay or Hydro Whey/Casien. i don't think taking both Hydro Builder & Hydro Whey is necessary, it's just marketing IMO.

would it be a good stack? yes. it'll just be expensive, but if you can afford to stack them then go for it.

@Blade410 - thanks bro.

jdthered

well written review man

Posted June 20, 2011
    A few typos, tying to type fast lol.

Posted June 20, 2011
    you were sitting at +666. I had to rep you!

Posted June 20, 2011
    thanks man, i can't spell either..lol

Great review bro

Posted June 20, 2011
    bro i love the review!! I'm going to sit on mine for a while since you and petey killed it. love the product by far one of the best recovery shakes out there

Posted June 21, 2011
    Great review. I got a free 7 dose bottle of this product out of the forums here so it was a healthy try qty indeed. Taste was great (mixed it with 2% milk each time). Recovery was Awesome after each use...I have one more scoop left. I will have to consider Buying some even though it is quite pricy. Thanks for taking time to do this review.

Posted June 21, 2011
    @kroberts9 - thanks man, looking forward to your review too!

@Rebel29073 - yeah it's pricey, but it's really high quality stuff!

Gkeezy

Posted June 21, 2011
    +repd , I just got this after Pro Complex, man the taste is amazing, with milk or water, not much diff! Love it!

IRISH89

Hydrobuilder is a great all in one supplement

Just after finishing up my very first tub of on platinum hydro builder vanilla bean flavour, have always been a big fan of Optimum nutrition products from day one, they never let me down with the effectiveness and quality of their products, so I decided to give hydrobuilder ago.

Breakdown- hydrobuilder has a great make up to it with fast acting proteins consisting of hydrolyzed egg albumen and hydrolyzed whey protein isolates, with slower acting Micellar Casein. It has over 13.5g essential Amino Acids, 5g micronized Creapure creatine, 2.5g betaine, with some added BCAAs, glutamine, arginine, and citrulline. With 180kcal, 2.5g fat, 8g carbs, 30g protein per serving.

Effectivness 9/10- Hydrobuilder defiantly helped me out a lot with my lean bulk cycle, i used it throughout the 4 weeks for my post workout drink with a scoop of on GlycoMaize and a banana. I noticed better recovery with hydrobuilder then I did with on 100% Whey i wasn't as sore the following day after my workouts. Wouldn't say hydrobuilder alone improved my strength gains but defiantly in the mix with my other supplements/training/diet. Again can't say it's down to hydrobuilder for my size gains made over my 4 week lean bulk but it defiantly helped. One of the favourite things i like about hydrobuilder is the no bloat feel; this was one of things I was sceptical about before purchasing.

Taste 8/10- Not a big fan of vanilla protein flavours but thought i would give it a go from getting sick of on 100% Whey cookies and cream taste, like to switch my protein flavours at least every 6 weeks or so. The vanilla bean flavour tastes great kind of like a rich vanilla ice cream flavour, with a creamy head, it smell's lovely (makes you want to just eat the powder). Its defiantly one of the better tasting vanilla proteins i have tried to date.

Mixability 10/10- hydrobuilder mixes brilliantly, mixed full time with a shaker cup, never any need to use a blender, didn't notice any clumps or unmixed power stuck to the shaker cup throughout the whole tub. I mixed one scoop with 8 ounces of water or 10 ounces of s milk.

Value 4- It's too expensive to run year round maybe if the price was lowered or the servings increased. The large tub has 40 servings & small tub 20 servings. The 4o serving tub will sting you $60 /$70.

Overall 8/10- Hydrobuilder is a great all in one supplement, the only thing letting it down is the price and servings per tub. It can be easily fitted into your daily calories on a bulk or cut. It's a great tasting product, and has a brilliant nutritional breakdown. But there are other protein products you can buy just as good for a fraction of the price of hydrobuilder.

Manimal

Excellent review.

fmrPRO

Posted April 13, 2011
    Egg isnt a fast digesting protein source. More of a medium digesting source. Other than that, solid review. I've been waiting to see more reviews in this. So thanks!

Posted April 13, 2011
    i wanna try this..but the prices just sucks, maybe i will eventually.

good review though.

Posted April 13, 2011
    Egg Albumen protein has 88-100 bioavalibility in the human body. Regular Whey Protein not hydrolyzed or isolated has a 100-110 BV , so therefore if the egg protien is hydrolyzed with digestive enzymes it should absorb nearly as fast as whey protein.

Nice review bro.

Oh yeah.. nice review

Posted April 14, 2011
    good review bro, I got a sample of this of the chocolate flavor and I really liked it, but when I checked the price I was like "Hell no" it is just too expensive for that amount of servings. We all know we are not going to drink this just once a day.

Posted April 14, 2011
    I would love to try this as well heck I want to replace my 100% whey with it. It's just that the price is way up there for that amount of servings.

Posted April 14, 2011
    NIce Review! but i dont know if you've tried they Amplified Wheybolic extreme60 but would you recommend this instead for the post-workout

Posted April 14, 2011
    @ AJteamIron, never tried Amplified Wheybolic extreme60 so can't comment on it, but hydro builder is great just too expensive

shinndigg

It still "did what it was suppose to" for me

I have long been a fan of Optimum Nutrition and their products. I may even be a little bit of a self admitted "homer" for them. But in my opinion they make some of the best protein products available on the market today. So of course when Hydrobuilder came out, I was definitely in line to try it out. Hydrobuilder is a spin off of ON's Platinum Hydrowhey, which was a very effective product for me.

Dosage: One scoop post workout with a carbohydrate supplement such as Karbolyn or Waxy Maize/Dextrose combo.

Ingredient Profile(9/10): Hydrobuilder is a comprehensive post workout protein and recovery product. It starts with the protein profile, 30 grams of protein from 4 varying sources: hyrdolyzed whey protein isolate, micellar casein, whey protein concentrate, and hydrolyzed egg albumen. The more I read on hydrolyzed protein the more on the fence I become about whether or not it's an effective muscle building protein source. There is no doubt it is absorbed into the body a lot quicker then any other protein source and I can attest personally to it's recovery aid properties from my use of Platinum Hydrowhey. So while I may not be sold 100% on the hydrolyzed protein in Hydrobuilder, no doubt when combined with micellar casein it makes for a good blend of time released protein. On top of the premium protein blend each scoop contains 5 grams of Creapure, the purest and best form of creatine monohydrate available. Each scoop also contains 2.5 grams of Betapower betaine, a natural nutrient derived from the molasses of sugar beets that has athletic perfomance enhancing capabilities to increase power, energy, and strength. Throw in a 2 gram micronized amino acid blend and a 200 mg enzyme complex to enhance absorption and you have a great, quality profile on your hands here for this product.

Taste/Mixability(7.5/10): I tried both the Vanilla Bean and Chocolate Shake flavors of Hydrobuilder, neither of which jumped out to me as being particualrly good in taste as both of them were rather bland in my opinion, which is a surprise to me since ON is usually on point with their protein flavors. Mixability was adequate and I didn't really have a problem with the product fully absorbing in water or having it clump while mixing. There was a lot of foam as there was with the Platinum Hydrowhey, something that evidently comes with the territory of hydrolyzed proteins.­

Effectiveness(8/10): For the expectations I had of Hydrobuilder going into using the product, the results came out as medicore to average in my eyes. I didn't really notice a vast improvement in recovery, strength, or gains versus using a regular old isolate or protein blend post workout. Which kind of leaves me scratching my head given the superior ingredients that are in this product. I ran two of the large 40 serving containers of this and both times left a lot to be desired in terms of results versus price and given the quality of the profile. It still "did what it was suppose to" for me, but I am thinking I may have set the bar a little to high in my mind given my love of ON products.

Value(7/10): A tub of Hydrobuilder will definitely run you a pretty penny. You're looking at about 55 bucks for a 40 serving container(about $1.38/serving) or 30 bucks for a 20 serving container($1.50/serving). There is no doubt that you are getting the highest of quality ingredients for your dollar, but for the lackluster results they performed for me, I feel like this product is a bit of a money pit.

Overall(7/10): While Hydrobuilder didn't live up to my own lofty expectations, I still beleive it can be an effective product for people. There is no denying that there are great ingredients in this product and that it comes from one of the best companies in the business. It doesn't take an expert to realize sometimes certain products don't work as well for some as others, and all things considered for this product I am walking away from it feeling very underwhelmed. I know for a lot of other members this product worked well for them, but for me this was nothing more then an average product. So Hydrobuilder gets the sideways thumb from me, and I will be sticking with ON's 2:1:1 Recovery as my go to post workout supplement.

Pros:
    Cons:
    • Excellent/superior Profile
    • High Quality Ingredients
    • Aids In Recovery
    • Average Taste
    • Didn't Live Up To Hype

lava135

Posted October 31, 2012
    Really excellent review - thanks.

Posted October 31, 2012
    In my opinion, this is simply the best post-workout protein you can possibly buy with money.

shinndigg

Posted October 31, 2012
    I know a lot of people love this stuff, and I'm about as big a fan of ON as they come, but 2:1:1 was a far superior post workout in my opinion.

Posted October 31, 2012
    First off, excellent review. Ive been using the 100 % whey but I saw this stuff at vitamin shoppe and was wondering about maybe starting to take it. Maybe if this doesn't live up to the expectations like you said, I might have give that 2:1:1 a try.

Since this has 5G of creatine, do you think that adding 5G of the ON creatine to the 100% whey would be better than the Hydrobuilder?

Also, nice to see a Reno guy as an expert reviewer. You sure do know what you are doing.

kingmeat

if you have the money to spend on it do so

It has been a long time coming but I've been so busy with school and basketball I haven't had time to leave some reviews for my SR people. Might be a little rusty but here we go.

Hydrobuilder has definitely made its way to my favorite post workout supplement. The only downfall is it's pricey especially for a college student trying to get by. But on to the positives.

I used hydrobuilder during my lean bulk. It helped me to lean up from 224-230 which i can probably attribute some of that to the creapure. I had never been over 224 pounds until i added this. I had also used C-bol pre workout. Hydrobuilder contains 8g of carbs which is great for those who are looking for a post workout supplement that isn't too carb heavy. I added about 25g of karbolyn with it as i like more carbs in my post workout formulas. The recovery time kept me not as sore especially since I was working out 5 times a week.

My strength increased in bench from 340 to 355. Squats increased from 365-385. Definite improvement over about a 2 month span.

The ingredients make this a top notch formula as it is a blend of proteins which supports the studies suggesting protein blends are superior post workout compared to just whey isolate alone. It contains hydrolyzed whey isolate, hydrolyzed whey, micellar casein and hydrolyzed egg albumen. Over 13.5g essential amino acids, 5g creapure and many more goodies.

If you care about taste i had the vanilla bean and it was such a smooth taste and mixed well i was so hype to drink it after a good tough lift.

In closing, if you have the money to spend on it do so. If not you can probably make your own with a good blend, (I've been using Trutein), creapure, add some liver tabs for your essential aminos and the rest of the goodies aren't too hard to find. But if you haven't tried it yet, give it a try and you'll love it.

-Kingmeat

kris65

Posted December 22, 2011
    Great review King, bout time you wrote another review hahaha

kingmeat

Posted December 22, 2011
    yeah i've felt useless lately hahaha what good is being up at the top and not helping out.

Virtus

Excellent review brother

hulkish1

Overall I have to say that this is a solid product

This review is a bit overdue!! Today we will review Optimum Hydrobuilder. This is a unique whey isolate that contains 5G German Creapure. And some othe added amenities that most whey proteins do not offer. I love my proteins and use them regularly for certain things. Nothing will ever replace whole foods but these little shakes can fill in when on the go. Hydrobuilder is slightly different then most every protein I have ever used from content to taste and it has a specific use unlike other blends and whey's.

---------------------TASTE&MIXING 9/10------------------------------------------

The flavor of hydrobuilder I ran was chocolate and I have to say mixed with my concoction of 60%skim and 40% water it was thick but very drinkable and the taste was kind of like a diet ice cream with an after taste that lingered a little longer then it should. I gave this a high score because it was very good but not the best I have ever had.

Hydrobuilder mixed close to perfect every time even with the Amino content. It never really over foamed up and I never had chunks protein like cheaper proteins I have used. I mixed it three ways to judge mixing of product. 1st just water very smooth and still had a good taste but the after taste was very strong this way. 2nd just skim milk. This made the hydrobuilder very thick but enjoyable. I like this after a hard workout it was like a treat after you finish kicking the poo out of yourself. 3rd 60-40 split. This was very effective for me and my goals. It made the taste perfect not too sweet and the after taste was minimal.

------------------- EFFECTIVNESS 9.5/10-------------------------------

By far the most superior Whey isolate I have ever used post work out hands down. I noticed at the end of the 4.49lb tub my strength was up my recovery was better and it was noticeable. I gave this such a high mark because it did as it said and worked every time I used it. I can't argue with that. Everyone that uses this product will immediately notice a recovery increase. Being able to recover while on a calorie deficient diet for a cut is key since your body is not taking in as much food and this is how I noticed my recovery. I split my last cut 5weeks on MyoFusion( my favorite blend protein) 100% gold whey and 5 weeks on Hydrobuilder and and Dymatize XT and I noticed almost instantly that this combo was the best hands down for my recovery needs.

------------------------CONTENT 10/10---------------------------------------

This is where hydrobuilder gets all its bang for the buck. This whey isolate has 30g protein while boasting 5G Creapure and 13.5G essential amino acids. It also contains hydrolyzed egg and miceller casein as well making it a three step release of proteins. You get all this and remain under 200calories is unbelievable. Here is a quick breakdown of all the content Hydrobuilder contains.
    Ingredient Amount % Daily Value**
    Sodium 350mg 15
    Micronized Creapure Creatine Monohydrate 5g
    BetaPower Natural Betaine 2.5g
    Micronized Amino Acid Matrix 2g
    -Micronized BCAAs (L-leucine, L-isoleucine, L-valine)
    -Micronized L-glutamine
    -Micronized L-arginine
    -Micronized Taurine
    -L-alanine
    -L-carnitine tartrate
    -Micronized L-citrulline
    Enzyme Complex 200mg
    -Beet root fiber, amylase, protease, cellulase, lactase, lipase

Can you buy a more Complete Protein?

---------------------------- VALUE 7.5/10---------------------------------------------------

This is where Hydrobuilder will get killed since the price is crazy out of control but worth it for what you receive from the product IMO. Coming in at a staggering 54.00 for the 4.49lb tub and 30.00 for the 2lb tub this is a steep price for a lot of people. Also the scooper is bigger then an average size scooper meaning you can go through this product fast. I still think the value should be a higher number since price does not mean value to me, results per price equals value to me and this product simply out performed others for me.

Overall I have to say that this is a solid product that will perform every time and leave you feeling stronger with less muscle soreness. If the price scares you try the 2lb tub first and realize for yourself that this is an amazing product.

-k-

• Increases Strength

Posted September 20, 2011
    Awesome review, I can't wait to give this a go.

How'd you dose it on off days. Did you take it in the morning or did you not take it on off days?

hulkish1

Posted September 20, 2011
    because the abnormal scoop size i didn't take it on my off days. i used xt in the a.m and before bed with a whey crisp bar as a meal replacement.
    try to prolong the tub for as long as you can the post work out soreness was next to nothing and i hit it for 2hr sessions on the normal day.

well written review sir.

Posted September 20, 2011
    This is odd, but I just brought hydro builder to run with my myofusion and dymotize xt! Are you sure you haven't broken into my house and copied my stack!?? Haha!
    Hope this hydro is good. Cost me $110aus, that's $110 for all you yanks wondering!

Posted September 20, 2011
    I just bought be my 2nd tub for this supplement, It really good for 3 weeks usage, recovery is very effective. There a bit after taste but it works very effective for me. nice review.

Posted September 21, 2011
    Nice review, no need to write my own now!

Just wanted to say that I agreed with most of the previous reviews that though this product is a little expensive, it is pretty much worth it in the end. If you bought a regular whey protein but then stacked it with creatine and aminos, etc., you wouldn't be much off the price for Hydro Builder. And it's much more convenient.

Last, I ran the vanilla flavor and really liked it-- didn't notice any real after taste at all.

I'll be buying more in the future.

Posted September 21, 2011
    nice review

WarMachine

Despite the heavy price tag, hydrobuilder platinum is a very effective

Salutations SR brethren and welcome to WarMachine's first review of 2013!! To begin the new year, I am going to review the product that I teamed with usp labs versa-1 during my log, Optimum Nutrition's HydroBuilder Platinum. I would like to extend another special thanks to everyone who followed my log and usp labs for hooking me up with versa-1.

As a brief introductory description of hydrobuilder, it is a complete muscle building formulation containing adequate levels of high qaulity creatine, multi-source proteins, amino acids, enzymes, and betaine. It is designed to aid in muscle growth, recovery, and integrity. During my use of it, I would most often use this both pre and post workout. Of course, to allow optimal digestive time, I would take it about 45 minutes before my workout with my versa-1 capsule. I would also take a serving immediately after my workout along with a hit of some extra glutamine. On non-workout days, a serving first thing in the morning sometime before breakfast allowed me to ignite the anabolic flame for the day ahead. Now for a more detailed explanation of the particular fields of the product's quality:

Taste/Mixability (7): The 40 servings tub comes in three flavors: chocolate, strawberry, and vanilla. The trifecta of originals basically. All three flavors to me were satisfactory at best. Definitely not the worst tasting, but I have certainly had better tasting proteins. I found all of the flavors to be more so on the bland side and lacking in fullness of flavor. Still, not nasty or difficult to take down. Also, I didn't experience any unpleasant aftertastes as some users claim to have experienced so, points for that.

In terms of mixability, overall the products mixes well in water. However, for some reason when I would try to mix with anything else like milk, I found that the product tended to clump moderately forcing me to utilize a blender when I would want to use milk for improved taste. This a little bit of an inconvenience for me, but I won't take significant points off for that.

Ingredient Profile (10): As a stated before, the formulation of the product is complete and abundant in several essential muscle building ingredients:

40 Servings Vanilla Bean
    Sugars 2g
    Protein 30g
    Calcium 200mg 20%
    Sodium 300mg 13%
    Micronized Creapure® Creatine Monohydrate 5g "
    BetaPowerâ„¢ Natural Betaine 2.5g "
    Micronized Amino Acid Matrix 2g "
    Micronized Branched Chain Amino Acids (L-Leucine, L-Isoleucine, L-Valine), Micronized L-Glutamine, Micronized L-Arginine, Taurine, L-Alanine, L-Carnitine Tartrate, Micronized L-Citrulline
    Enzyme Complex 200mg "
    Beet Root Fiber, Amylase, Protease, Cellulase, Lactase, Lipase
    * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
    "  Daily Value not established.
    Other Ingredients:
    Protein Blend (CreaPepâ„¢ Enriched Protein Blend [Hydrolyzed Whey Protein Isolate, Micellar Casein, Hydrolyzed Whey Protein], Whey Protein Concentrate, Hydrolyzed Egg Albumen), Natural And Artificial Flavors, Creamer (Glucose Syrup Solids, Coconut Oil, Sodium Caseinate, Dipotassium Phosphate, Silicon Dioxide, Titanium Dioxide, Mono & Diglycerides, Turmeric And Annatto Extracts, Artificial Flavors), Polydextrose, Gum Blend (Cellulose Gum, Xanthan Gum, Carrageenan), Lecithin, Salt, Sucralose, Acesulfame Potassium.

Sorry of that is a bit difficult to read. As you can see there is a solid amount of all the essential contents. Five grams of creapure, 30 grams of protein from multiple sources, 2.5 grams of betaine, and 2 grams of blended amino acids make this one effective muscle enhancing product good for recovery, development, and integrity. My only complaint is that I think there could be a little more of the amino acids considering the blend only consists of 2 grams.

Usage (10): Very simple, one scoop of this in 8 ounces of your choice of a beverage. I usually used either water or milk. The directions claimed it is best used post workout on training days and sometime between meals on non-workout days. As a mentioned before, I would use one serving both pre and post workout on training days and first thing in the morning on non-training days. On non-training days were the times where I would most often use milk.

Effectiveness (10): I must say that hydrobuilder truly lived up to its claims. I noticed dramatically improved recovery not just after my workouts, but I also noticed I recovered from heavy set workloads during my workouts as well. Coupled with versa-1, I gained strength, mass, and even stamina with hydrobuilder. The benefits were most noticed on my non-training rest days, but I would also notice a difference during my boxing and cardio sessions as well (ask the zumba girls they'll vouch for me LOL). All in all, increased strength, mass, stamina, and improved recovery were all noticed with hydrobuilder's use.

Value (5): Now this is where the product takes a big punch to the point scale. The average price range of a 40 servings tub of hydro platinum is 50-60 dollars. My first tub I bought from illpumpyouup.com with the $20 gift card I won from here. To my first tub cost me about 30 dollars. The second tub I bought cost me 50 dollars straight up since I was fortunate enough to find it on sale at a local vitamin shoppe. The third tub I got as a gift from my sister for helping her with some furniture assembly. She didn't tell me how much it cost but she knew that I liked the product. While I found the product to be effective, the price tag would definitely discourage those of the more budget conscious nature. Shopping around for prices is absolutely a must for this product in my opinion if you intend on trying it.

Overall (9): Despite the heavy price tag, hydrobuilder platinum is a very effective and versatile supplement. Whether run alone or stacked with some other goodies, hydrobuilder will increase muscular mass, strength, integrity, and overall body endurance if you train hard and efficiently. Of course, don't forget diet. After a brief off cycle period I will consider hydrobuilder for another run, especially if I decide to pull the prohormone trigger for the first time this year (AMS watch out, the machine may be coming your way LOL!!!). As a final thought, if you are a serious weight training athlete and endurance/fitness enthusiast I would highly recommend hydrobuilder platinum provided you can get it at a decent price.

Pros:
    Cons:
    • Excellent To Stack With An Otc Anabolic Like Versa-1
    • High Quality Ingredients
    • Increases Strength
    • Another Flavor Variety Or Two Wouldn't Hurt
    • Average Taste

hornedn

Another great product from Optimum

In July I submitted a review of Gaspari's MyoFusion protein, comparing it favorably to Optimum's Pro Complex. Now that I've tried Hydro Builder, I'd like to review it, with the same comparisons.
    Hydro Builder is Optimums newest protein blend with hydrolyzed whey isolate, micellar casein, whey concentrate and hydrolyzed egg albumen. It can be used and effective anytime a day and also has an added 5g of Creapure creatine.

TASTE: 7/10 - I've tried both the Chocolate and Vanilla flavors. The chocolate was pretty good but the vanilla not so much. It has an after taste that is probably due to the added creatine. Of the 3 protein blends in my comparison Pro Complex is the best tasting to me and Hydro Builder is the least.

MIXABILITY: 9/10 - No problems here at all. I got no clumps whatsoever. The only problem is because of the large scoop, you have to use more liquid or it is too thick. But when you understand this the Hydro Builder is probably the best of the 3 for mixability.

EFFECTIVENESS: 10/10 - The protein blend of the Hydro Builder is second to none. They've really put everything from whey isolate to casein to egg albumen. Of the 3 Hydro Builder has definitely the best protein profile and it also has added 2g of amino acids like Pro Complex does.

VALUE: 7/10 - Now this is where Hydro Builder takes a back seat. All the complaints about it are because of the expense. When I reviewed MyoFusion I found that it cost 82 cents per 30 grams and Pro Complex was 90 cents but the Hydro Builder comes in at a whopping $1.30 per 30 grams of protein. This may be because of the added creatine but is it worth an extra 40 cents per serving? Comparing the price per serving of ConCret (54 cents) and Kre-Alkalyn (20 cents) it's not totally unreasonable.

OVERALL: 8/10 - Overall this is the best protein that you can buy if you can afford it. Also if you're buying protein AND creatine then you may be able to afford this more than you think.

Another great product from Optimum but of course I wish it was a little cheaper and that it was available in bigger sizes (maybe that would drop the price some and 40 servings for a tub of this doesn't last long) but it is still a solid product.

Pros:
    Cons:
    • Best Protein Profile Out There
    • Great Nutritional Breakdown
    • Weird After Taste

adam777

Posted November 2, 2011
    I liked the comments on value. Well said because when you think about it with the extra creapure it looks more appealing. Still out of my price range right now.

dknight

This stuff does exactly what it says its its going to do

ON hydrobuilder is without a doubt one of the most effective protein supps on the market today. I took this while I was trying to cut down a little while trying to lose as little muscle as possible and I have to say this did a great job helping to acheive that goal.

Ingredients(10): The...

Ingredients(10): The ingredient profile is very impressive on this product. It has several different types of protein from fast active whey isolate hydrolyzed egg to slow releasing casein so your body has protein to feed off of for hours after your workout. Along with the different proteins it has 5 grams of high quailty creapure creatine and 13 grams of essential amino acids.

Mixability: Mixes very easily in water, no chunks or gritty feeling. Taste is decent, not as good as some but by no means bad.

Effectiveness: This stuff does exactly what it says its its going to do, just build muscle. I was able to cut down a few pounds of fat using HIIT and ending my workouts with a scoop of Hydrobuilder (which is the only time it needs to be used, otherwise its a waste of expensive protein). Its amazing at only 180 cals you dont have to worry about gaining any weight but you get the creatine to build muscle and the high quaility protein to accelerate recovery time. Exactly what I was looking for.

Value: Now this stuff is expensive about $35 for 20 servings but you get what you pay for. Yes you are going to spend a little more on it but in my mind it is worth every penny. I actually got a very good deal on it, 7 servings at $11 but it was bogo so really 14 servings for $11.

Overall: Yet another quality product from ON. If I am looking to do a lean bulk or just lose a little fat again I will definitely be investing in this product again.

Pros:
    Cons:
    • Helps Recovery Time
    • Great Nutritional Breakdown
    • Decent Taste
    • Little Too Expensive

Nice Review

birdman2211

Posted January 3, 2012
    Great review! I agree hydro-builder is awesome!

Thanks guys!

workoutguru

Posted January 3, 2012
    This stuff is good. I got a free 7 serving sample of this awhile back and really liked it a lot. I thought for only having 7 servings it helped a bit with my recovery and felt I got a little strength gain also. I would really like to know what would happen if I was able to go through a full tub of this still considering what the 7 servings did for me. I have been wanting to get a 4lb tub of this but it's a little too expensive for me and you only get 40 servings. I wish they could up the amount of servings a bit and lower the price a little.

Posted January 3, 2012
    I agree the price is high but like I said you get what you pay for, I thought this stuff was totally worth it. Check out bb.com they still might have this going on where you buy one 7 serving tub and get one free. So 14 servings for the price of 7. Just check the sales tab.

Give it a shot if you have some extra cash one month

If you're on the fence about buying Hydrobuilder this is the review for you. First, let me explain how this review is different from others. Prior to taking Hydrobuilder I took only whey and casein protein for 8 weeks. I was still recovering from a stomach ulcer and decided to eliminate supplements other than protein. After these 8 weeks I hadn't made any significant gains but I was able to maintain the MASS gained from previous stacks. Then, I saw an ad for Hydrobuilder and I had to give it a try. Since I kept using the same whey and casein protein as the previous 8 weeks and no other supplements, I can correctly assess Hydrobuilder.

Mixability- 10/10

No clumps. Period.

Taste- 9/10

It is not as good as Gold standard in my opinion but it is still delicious. I had a tub of chocolate. It had that cocoa taste but more along the lines of the platinum whey from ON rather than gold standard.

Ingredients- 10/10
    Minimum fat cals and carbs if you're looking for a post workout shake while cutting.
    Unreal Amino Acid profile-- a must have for muscle building
    5g Creapure creatine- took Hydrobuilder daily after workouts and I never experienced a creatine bloat, cant go wrong with mono
    Protein blend- Good mix of slow and fast proteins. After only trying hydrolyzed protein samples from manufacturers, I have definitely become a believer.

Value- 8/10
    Hydrobuilder really helped me bust through a plateau. After completing a whole 4lb tub, I have gained 3 lbs of lean muscle. I have experienced gains in my forearms, chest, back, and delts. It might be more expensive than you're used to for spending on a protein but it is more than just a post workout protein shake! Between Hydrobuilder, whey and casein I didnt need to buy an extra AA or L-Glutamine supp.

Finally, I have to say that it was easy on the stomach, which is one of my main concerns after some supps left me throwing up blood. Give it a shot if you have some extra cash one month. Wish it had more servings though

Pros:
    Cons:
    • Decent Taste
    • Great Aa Profile
    • Great Nutritional Breakdown

Posted May 24, 2011
    great review. id admit that when i first saw this i was very unimpressed. but i may try it. if i can get it on sale lol