Melatonin

By: Optimum

I've always been somewhat of an insomniac and, on most nights, have had to toss and turn in bed for a good hour before I'd fall asleep. ON's Melatonin has become indispensable to me and if I had to pick only one supplement that has dramatically improved my quality of life, it would be this one.

Before I proceed with the review, let me first say that I've encountered some confusion from people over the nature of this supplement. Let me explain clearly that this is NOT a sleeping pill, and here's the difference:

-Melatonin is a natural hormone which is synthesized (primarily)...

-Melatonin is a natural hormone which is synthesized (primarily) in the pineal gland when light exposure decreases, and is responsible for putting us to sleep and restoring physical energy while we sleep. When melatonin levels are high in the body we experience feelings of drowsiness.

-A sleeping pill (such as Benzodiazepine) uses artificial chemicals to lower the frequency of our brain waves (brain activity) in order to force us to sleep. This can wreck our natural sleep cycles and these drugs can be dangerous and can lead to long term addiction (even death if used wrong!)

Ingredients: 9.5/10
A single pill contains 3mg of melatonin, primary ingredient. It also contains 72mg of calcium as well as 55mg of phosphorus, which are both proven to also support good sleep cycles. The two additional natural ingredients are a big plus.

Dosing: 10/10
The directions are: 1 pill 30-60 minutes before bed. I have experimented with half, 1.5 and 2 pills but feel that 1 works the best. The pills are also small enough to go down easily.

I am very impressed with the effectiveness of this. Usually, with my insomniac self, I'd have to lie in bed trying to count sheep for a good hour, sometimes longer until I'd finally fall asleep. The end result would be me in bed for 8 hours but actually getting 6 of sleep; very frustrating. This supplement solved this problem totally; I would take it an hour before bed and lie down for 10 minutes and be fast asleep.

The sleep also seemed to be a lot more restful and I would wake up feeling totally refreshed after 6 hours of sleep feeling as if I'd slept for 10+ hours. This would also give me some very vivid and wicked dreams. All of this seems to make me function more effectively during the day, hence making this product indispensable to me.

Side Effects 7/10
The most noticeable side effect I got from taking this is the mandatory trip to the bathroom in the middle of the night. However, I've learned to turn this into an advantage by using this opportunity to take in a half scoop of protein. At the regular dosing of 1 pill, I did not experience any drowsiness in the mornings or have a hard time waking up. However, when I experimented with 2 pills, getting to work on time was an impossibility.

Obtained a 100 serving bottle for $1.98 from bb.com; this brings the cost per serving to less than 2 cents, and in my books a restful night's sleep is priceless.

Conclusion
Overall, I've had a great experience with this supplement and would recommend it to anyone who has to lie in bed for 30+ mins before falling asleep. This supplement will make you fall asleep quicker, sleep deeper and make you feel better rested with fewer hours, as well as give you the best dreams.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Better Rested With Fewer Hours
  • Less Time Wasted Trying To Fall Asleep
  • Additional Ingredients Of Calcium And Phosphorus
  • Vivid Dreams

• ReVengeance
      March 19, 2012

I'm the same way bro, ON Melatonin is a god send but you do build up a tolerance to it the more you use it
    • dmq777
      March 19, 2012

Yeah, I've always been jealous of people who could fall asleep really quickly on their own. I've read that ectomorphs are more prone to this problem than other body types.

venom434

*melatonin is a naturally occurring hormone that helps support healthy sleep quality and cycles.*

i don't see any real harm in taking it daily considering it is natural and non-habit forming, but since it is a hormone i guess you could say it's better safe than sorry; and use only on the days where you feel like you're going have trouble sleeping.

1 tablet is 3mg, and that's all i needed prior to bed. helped keep me asleep, waking up feeling refreshed. the only time i noticed feeling drowsy is when i took it for multiple days in a row. i would also have to say the vivd dreams occurred more when it was taken for multiple days.

fairly simple and short review. it's effective and for around $2 you can get yourself 100 tablets which makes for a great value.
     Pros:
     Cons:
    • Rest Full Sleep
    • Vivid Dreams
      asala19

Got this product because it was $1.98 and I figured it would be good to have on nights I can't sleep. It does put you to sleep, sometimes I only take half a tablet to go to bed if I had to get up the next day. A full tab (1 serving) puts me to sleep and keeps me asleep but it is often difficult for me to get up without feeling drowsy and tired all day. You get 100 servings for the price. Great deal. Would recommend to have on you for nights you can't sleep. I would not take this daily at all.
       Pros:
       Cons:
      • Rest Full Sleep
      • Vivid Dreams
      • Puts You To Sleep

It works, but there are some side effects (see below).It's all about being safe with the dosage. For me, melatonin causes too much grogginess. Maybe supplement with 5htp to counteract low serotonin levels.

"Melatonin is manufactured from serotonin. When melatonin levels increase, serotonin levels usually decrease, since more serotonin is converted to melatonin."

Book: Somer, Elizabeth, M.A., R.D. Food & Mood. Henry Holt and Company, LLC, 1999.

"Low levels of serotonin are associated with
        increased carbohydrate cravings, depression
        ,heightened sensitivity to pain,...

"Low levels of serotonin are associated with
        increased carbohydrate cravings, depression
        ,heightened sensitivity to pain, and troubled sleep patterns"
         Pros:
         Cons:
        • Vivid Dreams
        • Puts You To Sleep
        • Less Time Wasted Trying To Fall Asleep

Being a College student and Staying up late writing papers, doing homework and being in front of a computer screen for too long can Screw anyones Sleep Cycle Up! Especially the artificial lights that are from computers, and cellphones; actually mess up your hormones.

My Input: 2$ a bottle? Super Cheap and effective. I take this before bed with warm water because that will absorb better. I noticed that it calms me down, Its Not a Knockout supplement that drops you into sleep. But I do sleep better while taking it. I do remember more of my dreams and actually have more. Cant Beat it

Pros:
           Cons:
          • Non Drowsy Next Day
          • Rest Full Sleep
          • Vivid Dreams
          • Puts You To Sleep
            Copyright © 2014 SupplementReviews.com. All rights reserved.