Fish Oil Reviews

By: Optimum

Overall Score   How is this Calculated?

Ranks #15 of 15 (better than 0%) in
Health & Wellbeing > Essential Fatty Acids

Fish Oil is an Essential Fatty Acid manufactured by Optimum. It contains fats that must be obtained through diet. They serve a wide array of critical roles including cardiovascular, mental and joint health.
COMPARE SIMILAR

hypermoo
  May 19, 2015

Fish oil should be one of your main staple supplement, especially if you are a gym junkie like many of us here. Before I go into the details of this specific product, some baseline information regarding fish oil.

Fish oil is a form of fatty acid that is derived from the tissues of oily fish. It contains the omega-3 fatty acids, including eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA).

EPA and DHA has complete different functions in our body. According to some research, DHA outperforms EPA in reducing total triglyceride counts and increasing HDL (good) cholesterol. Alternatively, EPA has a more beneficial effect on lowering overall LDL (bad) cholesterol. In the cognitive domain, DHA appears to offer greater mental benefits. DHA has been suggested to be more effective in improving overall cognition and preventing cognitive decline in healthy older adults. While both forms of omega-3 have beneficial effects on the stress response, DHA seems to quell the neurological response (aggression) while EPA modulates stress-affected immune activity. EPA also seems to have greater anti-depressive effects.

Other commonly known benefits of fish oil as a whole includes healthy cholesterol level support as mentioned above, bone health support, mood support, protection from vision loss, memory benefits, heart benefit (Mixed results. Some studies found benefits while some didn't), joint mobility and many other perks.

Some known side effects include belching, bad breath, heartburn, nausea, loose stools, rash, and nosebleeds. Taking fish oil supplements with meals or freezing them can often decrease these side effects.

If you have been reading some of my other product reviews, you might be well aware that I am a huge supporter of getting nutrition from whole foods. However, as we all know we are usually constrained with time due to our busy schedules. Just in case you might be interested, I have listed some food that are rich in Omega-3 fatty acids.

-Oily fish - anchovies, herring, sardines, salmon, trout, and mackerel.
-Flax
-Hempseed
-Perilla oil
-Spirulina
-Walnuts
-Eggs (especially the ones that have "high in omega-3 written on the shell)
-Chia seeds
-Raddish seeds, sprouted raw
-Fresh basil
-Leafy dark green vegetables, such as spinach
-Dried tarragon

American Heart Association – People with heart disease should consume min of 1 g of marine omega 3 a day. People with high triglyceride levels should consume 2-4g EPA+DHA per day.

FDA (US Food and Drug Administration) - Recommends a total dietary intake of omega 3 fatty acids from fish up to 3 grams per day.

For those of us pushing our body to the limit on a daily basis at the gym should go with 3000mg DHA+ EPA per day, especially if you have joint pains.

Now that we are all on the same page, we can go into the specific product details.

Ingredient Profile: 5/10
In one softgel, consumers are getting 1g of fish oil but only 300mg of Omega-3. And the label does not break down the DHA and EPA level. In order to get around 3,000mg DHA+EPA level for bodybuilders or hard core gym junkies, you would have to consume 10 softgels a day. That is a lot of freaking pills! 200 pills will only last you 20 days. If you see it from this point, this product is actually not that cheap. Just do a simple comparison with products like Controlled Labs OxiMega or NOW Super Omega EPA and you will feel ripped off by this product from Optimum Nutrition. More gelatin going into the body than the fish oil I must say...

Taste: N/A
I personally didn't have any fishy burps. Pill form so there is no taste.

Fish oil is fish oil. Unless the product contains mercury or some other harmful chemicals in the product. However, the reason why I am giving a 6/10 be because of its low dosage of DHA and EPA level per pill plus the breakdown of the Omega-3 is not obvious. If you take 9-10 pills a day, you will feel good on your joints.

200 pills will only last you 20 days if you are hardcore gym person. Roughly around US$15 (shipping excluded) in the US and AUD$40 in Australia. I can find better fish oil that will last me longer with higher DHA+EPA.

Although many people might consider Optimum Nutrition a darling in the supplement industry, I must say this product is a huge disappointment. With only 30% being actual Omega-3 per gelatin, I would definitely not recommend this product to any of my friends. Please do your research before purchasing any product. I know some of you buy products based on company brand, but try to dig deeper before you spend your hard earned money.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Good For Consumers Who Need Less Than 3000mg Of EPA+DHA Per Day
  • Need 10 Softgels To Get 3000mg Of EPA+DHA
  • Only 30% Omega-3 Per Gel
  • Expensive If You Do Proper Math
Manimal

July 17, 2010

Optimum Nutrition is notorious for their gigantic line of solid, full proof supplements. From essentials to non-essentials.

I see their Fish Oil product as an essential staple in any athletes supplement arsenal. In one softgel you get 1,000mg of Fish Oil containing Omega 3s, EPA, and DHA.

Fish Oil is all round good for the body. It's good for joints, heart health, and is perfect to add to any fat loss stack. The benefits of Fish Oil is an endless list.
I stacked/am still stacking this with CLA, Green Tea Extract, Opti-Men, and Flax Seed Oil to promote overall health and weight loss. I take 1 softgel with my 3 major meals of the day- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I got it for just over 6 bucks off ProSource.net.

ON delivers here with a cheap and effective supplement and i will continue to use it.
I highly recommend it.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Great Value
  • Great For Hair/skin/nails
  • Helps With Joint Lubrication
  • No Taste
  • Healthy
  • Cheap
    dammit
      July 5, 2010

I have gone through a couple bottles of this and I must say that its one of my favorite Fish Oils. They are enteric coated so you do not burp up Fish Oil nor do you have any sort of fishy taste afterwards. The pills actually smell like vanilla so are not at all unpleasant to take. I have pretty achy joints and taking this certainly helps to keep things lubricated as well as many other benefits of Omega 3's [fish oil contains important Omega-3 fatty acids eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and decosahexaenoic acid (DHA)] such as better brain function, hair and skin health, joint support, lowers bad cholesterol, and vision support. Based on cost alone, this product should be in everyone's daily arsenal of supplements since it has so many positives at a very low price. I highly recommend to anyone not already taking Fish Oils, to start and within a month I bet you'll be glad you did.
     Pros:
     Cons:
    • Great Value
    • Great For Hair/skin/nails
    • Helps With Joint Lubrication
    • No Taste
      bignastyrico
        November 8, 2011

hey everyone yet another ON review. this time its the fishoil, I chose this one because of price but you get what you pay for. I was highly disappointed in this product.

Price=10 ok its the best thing about this product. you get 200 gels for around 12bucks. thats better than walmart lol.

profile=4 ok not much to say here. its 180epa and 120dha, thats just down right sad. for a company as respected as ON i expected a better quality product. it says 1000mg of omegas but most of that is filler. the one good thing is that it does have an entric coating which helps fish burps. but with any quality fishoil this is no longer an issue. also another good thing about this product is that it is mercury free which they are finding to be a big problem with farmed based fishoils.

Overall I wouldnt recommend this to anyone unless you are just starting to take fishoil and looking for a cheap first run. there are a ton of better fishoil out there, almost anything from nordic naturals is better with price considering on the quality of the product.
       Pros:
       Cons:
      • Cheap
      • No Fishy Burp
      • Very Low Epa And Dha
      venom434
        September 24, 2010

Fish Oil is one of the best and most important supplements to take. provides great benefits that include; promoting healthy functioning of the brain and eyes, healthy looking skin and hair, lowers bad cholesterol, pain associated with inflammation, lubricates the joints for mobility/flexibility and lowering body fat.

1 Soft Gel contains 1,000mg Fish Oil, 180mg EPA, 120mg DHA. another reason why i like this product is that it didn't seem to give me the typical "Fishy Burp" that you can encounter with other brands that try to cover it up with some type of flavoring. and most importantly this is Mercury Free.

i take 2 Soft Gels a day, one with breakfast and another one with lunch. i can honestly say that i've noticed a significant difference in the way my joints feel in regards to reduced pain/inflammation, flexibility improvement; skin also looks/feels more smooth and aiding me in losing body fat.

i would defiantly recommend this anybody regardless of your goals, and especially to those who don't like to eat fish like myself. this is a fairly inexpensive-high quality product, with many benefits that's produced by a great company.
       Pros:
       Cons:
      • Great Value
      • Effective
      • Mercury Free
      • No Fishy Burp
        krystian
          May 7, 2013

Hi everyone, this is my third review.

I've been using ON's Opti-Men and ON's ZMA - both products that I reviewed, continue to take and would recommend to anyone.

Earlier this year I decided to add Fish Oil to my arsenal, and stuck with ON as the brand because of the good results I've had with them.

My reason for adding Fish Oil to my diet is for the cardio/heart, joint, and overall benefits associated with Fish Oil: the omega-3 fatty acids EPA and DHA.

I have to admit, after finishing 2 100 softgel bottles, I'm a bit disappointed with this product and I've since replaced it with NOW Foods Ultra Omega 3 Fish Oil, which I will submit a review on once I complete the bottle (only been a little over a month of use) and write it up.

So, here is my experience with ON's Fish Oil.

I got the bottles for $10.51 each, which means it's about 10/11c per softgel. A decent value, or at least that's what I thought.

When I first started with the softgels, I took the recommended dose: 1 cap, with breakfast. I basically felt no difference for the couple weeks I did that, so I upped it to 2 per day, and after a month, 3 per day. I only felt a difference at 3 per day.

What difference did I feel? Less pain in my knees when I jogged/ran at the gym (I'm not much of a runner and knee pain + shin splints keeps me from really doing it more often) both while running and the day/s after. This led me to do more jogging/running than I normally would do, so that's a plus.

Of course, taking 3 softgels per day meant I burnt through them faster than I thought I would. And, on checking what's in each - something I should have done at the start - I found out that there's a low amount of EPA and DHA within each so you definitely need to take 2-3 per day to hit a good dosage.

The softgels have no bad taste, no fishy burps, no upset stomach or anything, no fishy body odor or skin, no fishy hair, nothing. They were easy to swallow for me, so I had no issues there.

But, using the 3 a day to achieve noticeable results in my opinion affects both value and effectiveness, so I set the rating at 6 across the board.

I did some looking around and found the NOW softgels I mentioned above, so I switched to those and so far I get much better results at a way better value.

I would not recommend these as I've found an alternative that's a better value with the same/better results; even if ON's Fish Oil were cheaper I wouldn't switch back.

On the other hand, if ON improved by upping the EPA and DHA, kept the price at the same level, then I would switch back for another try.

Overall, I think Fish Oil should be a part of everyone's supplementary diet - just pay attention to what level of EPA/DHA is in the supplement.

On another note, this experience helped me be more open minded towards other brands, and I've been using a number of other supplements which I will also write up once I complete the bottles.
         Pros:
         Cons:
        • Helps With Joint Lubrication
        • No Taste
        • No Fishy Burp
        • Cheaper Alternatives
        • Very Low Epa And Dha
        • Need High Dosing To Hit Efa Target
        MikeFarr
          January 22, 2011

Fish oil is a benchmark supplement that is important to everyday health.

Price: 10/10
        Optimum Nutrition's Fish Oil is dirt cheap. You can buy about 70 servings for 11$! Compare this to Controlled Lab's OxiMega Fish Oil which is 18$ for 30 sevings. The price is simply unbeatable.

Taste: 10/10
        The pill is enteric coated which I believe gets rid of the whole fishy taste, so it tastes great for Fish Oil. I never experienced any "fish oil burps" while taking this!!

Profile: 8/10
        I am not educated on how much EPA, DHA, and Omega-3 Fatty Acids are needed, but it is a good formula to the best of my knowledge.

Fish Oil 1000mg(1 g)
        EPA (Eicosapentaenoic Acid)
        DHA (Docosahexaenoic Acid)
        Total Omega-3 Fatty Acids 300mg

Overall: it is a needed supplement for everyone whether your working out or not.
         Pros:
         Cons:
        • No Taste
        • Healthy
        • Cheap
        • No Fishy Burp
          dmq777
            April 21, 2012

I've always subscribed to the notion that "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" (perhaps more); that's why I've been taking fish oil supplements as a staple ever since I started seriously pounding the weights.

My 2 primary goals for taking fish oil has always been to 1) lubricate my joints to prevent strain and injury from intense weight training and submission wrestling and, 2) to support my filtering organs and blood pressure that may come have under stress from those awesome pre-workout stimulants. I got a 100 capsule bottle of ON's Fish Oil as a free gift along with ON's Gold Standard Whey when I purchased it from bb.com.

-------Ingredients 5/10
          When judging the quality of fish oil, I'm not so much concerned about the specific brand as I am about the contents of Omega 3 essential fatty acids contained in each capsule. ON's Fish Oil is average at best; it contains a total of 1000mg of fish oil, of which there are only 300mg of omega 3 fatty acids (180mg of EPA + 120mg of DHA). This leaves about 700mg of fillers per pill that, in my mind, I am consuming for no reason and result in extra calories. If I take 10 caps a day, this results in an unnecessary 70 extra calories a day, which may be something to look out for if you are on a cut.

-------Dosing 7/10
          Because my joints are constantly under heavy stress from lifting 4 times a week and jujitsu twice a week, I typically shoot for between 2-3g of EFA a day. On average I took about 9 caps of this product per day: with three in the morning, 3 at lunch and 3 at dinner. This way, the 100-capsule bottle lasted me a bit less than 2 weeks.

-------Taste 3/10
          IMO, the specific kind of enteric coating that ON used was a massive fail. The original intent was to eliminate the fishy smell of the caps, which it did; however, the trade off was that the coating itself had a very bitter and plastic taste. I would do my best to not let the caps touch my tongue when washing them down.

-------Effectiveness 8.5/10
          It is difficult to quantify the effectiveness of an overall health and wellness product, I will give this a high rating here because at the dosage I took it at, it accomplished the main goal of keeping my joints healthy and lubricated through the torture I put it through.

To put things in perspective, this was a period of time when I was bulking and was training ball off the wall: I was loading over 400lb on the smith machine for calf raises, 40lbs of additional weight for weighted pull-ups and 185lbs on my shoulder presses. As for the jujitsu, I've always trained at a real old-school dojo and every class contains at least 20 mins of hardcore full strength rolling with dude 150-250lbs, with nobody tapping until they've put up a good struggle! Through all of this I took fish oil stacked with a vitamin D supplement, and I did not have any pains with my joints at all; so in my books, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure so ON's fish oil gets a high rating in this department.

-------Value 7/10
          I got this thrown in as a free gift, but you can get the 100-cap bottle for $7.00 online; if you dose like me with 7-10 pills a day, this bottle will last a bit less than 2 weeks which boils down to a bit over 50 cents a day. This is good value, but considering that GNC's fish oil 1000 is virtually identical in content, and 500 caps I can get for $10.99, there are better value products out there.

-------Overall 6/10
          Overall, although I enjoyed this as a free gift and much appreciate it, I would not buy this individually because there are both better quality fish oils out there with more essential fatty acids per serving, and there are virtually identical products for cheaper. I actually find it rather odd that Optimum would create such an average product considering their reputation of high quality premium products.
           Pros:
           Cons:
          • Helps With Joint Lubrication
          • No Fishy Burp
          • Kept My Joint Safe During A Period Of Torture!
          • Cheaper Alternatives
          • Very Low Epa And Dha
          • Enteric Coating Taste Bitter
          ava5147
            August 9, 2013

While I regard Optimum as one of my favorite brands with high quality products, I have to say fish oil is just not their specialty. Fish oil is a staple supplement of mine, and I've been taking it for years. This is the first time I have used optimum's brand, and in the past have typically chosen GNC triple strength.

At the time of this writing I am running a keto diet with a fat/protein/carb ratio of 60/35/5. In conjunction with the fish oil I am also taking a multivitamin, preworkout, whey protein, creatine, and L-glutamine. On average I do a 5 day heavy weight training split with 2 days of cardio.

Value (7/10)
          I bought two 100 ct bottles for $19 with shipping, sounds pretty cheap huh? Well not entirely. You take fish oil to obtain the EPA/DHA fatty acids. These pill capsules are 1 g of oil per pill capsule, yet only contain 300mg of actual fatty acid. This means 70% of the pill you are taking is some other sort of filler. If you are trying to reach a goal of 3 grams fatty acid per day, you would need to take 10 of these capsules a day. For me that is just too much.

Taste (N/A)
          Fish oil, it's in a capsule. So long as you're not chomping down and bursting them, you won't taste anything. As far as fishy-burps go, I experience none of this whatsoever.

Effectiveness (8/10)
          I take fish oil primarily for joint lubrication, specifically in my knees. I do heavy sets of squat so my knees suffer more than your average joe. I can feel a noticeable difference when taking high amounts of fish oil - pain is minimized, and honestly I have what feels like slightly enhanced mental clarity.

The low concentration of EPA/DHA per capsule really turns me off of this product. At first, the price drew my attention, but when you break it down to what you're actually paying per gram of fatty acid it changes the picture. I will be finishing my second bottle but after that I likely will not go back to again.
           Pros:
           Cons:
          • Helps With Joint Lubrication
          • No Taste
          • Cheap
          • Effective
          • No Fishy Burp
          • Cheaper Alternatives
          jjandros
          Rep: -22
            January 1, 2012

Obviously the price on these gels are awesome but as you can see I rated the value pretty low. This is an entry level fish oil which you can tell from the ingredients with its 180epa and 120dha. The gels do what they say in the fact that they lubricate the joints. The downside to these pills is how many are recommended for daily intake compared to how many you'll actually want to take to see good results. If you're just starting into fish oils or are young and don't have joint pain this may work well for you in or to just keep joints lubricated in order to prevent injury and pain.
           Pros:
           Cons:
          • Great For Hair/skin/nails
          • Helps With Joint Lubrication
          • No Taste
          • Cheap
          • No Fishy Burp
          • Very Low Epa And Dha