Optimum Fish Oil

Fish Oil Optimum
Expert Rating:
User Rating: (19 Reviews)

Review Authenticity: 100% (Well Trusted)

Compare Similar Products:

Users who liked this product also liked:

Optimum Opti-Men Reviews
Opti-Men (83 Reviews)
9.1
Universal Animal Pak Reviews
Animal Pak (135 Reviews)
8.9
GNC Mega Men Sport Reviews
Mega Men Sport (49 Reviews)
GNC Triple Strength Fish Oil Reviews
Triple Strength Fish Oil (19 Reviews)

Products in the same category:

Universal Animal Omega Reviews
Animal Omega (18 Reviews)
Controlled Labs Orange OxiMega Fish Oil Reviews
Orange OxiMega Fish Oil (7 Reviews)
NOW Ultra Omega 3 Reviews
Ultra Omega 3 (6 Reviews)
9.3
Optimum CLA Reviews
CLA (4 Reviews)

Related Forum Topics

Can't submit review for Nutrigold Triple Strength Fish Oil
Hi. The Nutrigold Triple Strength Fish Oil shows up on the new products box but...

Cool site Lab tests top 100 Fish Oil and Protein
They take the top 100 according to them and you can suggest ones to test. Some a...

1,000 gel caps of Fish Oils for $14.99

Taking Fish Oil In A Liquid Form?
So, lately I've been wondering how I might be able to improve the amount of...

Orange Triad (270ct) and Oximege Fish Oil (30ct) Combo on Muscle HQ for $24
Yeah, had to take a second look to see that the Fish Oil only comes with 30 caps...

PuritanPride Fish Oil, $73 / THREE 240ct. bottles
Find this deal at: puritan.com/omega-3-products-128/triple-strength-omega-3-fish...

CUT:Keto Diet, multi-v, Fish Oil, hemo-rage, coconut oil, yohimbine, more?
I am running a ketogenic diet (full keto no re-feed) for 4-6 weeks based off how...

Determining What My Staple Supps Will Be: (Fish Oil, Multi, Protein, Pre, Post)
So I want to determine what my staple supplements will be and if I should add or...

Get Involved!

Confused about Supplements?

FREE 7-Day Supplement Crash Course:

Description

Fish Oil Nutritional Info and Supplement Facts on: Links open in new window
Fish Oil Reviews:
Pros:
Cons:
  • No Fishy Burp (14)
  • Helps With Joint Lubrication (13)
  • No Taste (12)
  • Great For Hair/skin/nails (9)
  • Very Low Epa And Dha (7)
  • Cheaper Alternatives (6)
  • Need High Dosing To Hit Efa Target (4)
  • Hair Smells Like Fish Oil (2)
July 17, 2010

Reviews: 55

Age: 19

July 17, 2010
 Optimum Nutrition is notorious for their gigantic line of solid, full proof supplements. From essentials to non-essentials.

I see their Fish Oil product as an essential staple in any athletes supplement arsenal. In one softgel you get 1,000mg of Fish Oil containing Omega 3s, EPA, and DHA.

Fish Oil is all round good for the body. It's good for joints, heart health, and is perfect to add to any fat loss stack. The benefits of Fish Oil is an endless list.
I stacked/am still stacking this with CLA, Green Tea Extract, Opti-Men, and Flax Seed Oil to promote overall health and weight loss. I take 1 softgel with my 3 major meals of the day- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I got it for just over 6 bucks off ProSource.net.

ON delivers here with a cheap and effective supplement and i will continue to use it.
I highly recommend it.
Pros:
Cons:
  • Healthy
  • Cheap
  • Effective
  • Great Value
  • Great For Hair/skin/nails
  • Helps With Joint Lubrication
    Wrestler152
    Wrestler152

Joined: 7/2010
    Reviews: 6
    Reputation: +221
    How many pills did you take a day?

Joined: 11/2009
    Reviews: 55
    Reputation: +3478
    3 bro. 1 with breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Still taking it.

August 9, 2013

Reviews: 7

Age: 21

August 9, 2013
    Too many pills needed to hit DHA EPA target

While I regard Optimum as one of my favorite brands with high quality products, I have to say fish oil is just not their specialty. Fish oil is a staple supplement of mine, and I've been taking it for years. This is the first time I have used optimum's brand, and in the past have typically chosen GNC triple strength.

At the time of this writing I am running a keto diet with a fat/protein/carb ratio of 60/35/5. In conjunction with the fish oil I am also taking a multivitamin, preworkout, whey protein, creatine, and L-glutamine. On average I do a 5 day heavy weight training split with 2 days of cardio.

Value (7/10)
    I bought two 100 ct bottles for $19 with shipping, sounds pretty cheap huh? Well not entirely. You take fish oil to obtain the EPA/DHA fatty acids. These pill capsules are 1 g of oil per pill capsule, yet only contain 300mg of actual fatty acid. This means 70% of the pill you are taking is some other sort of filler. If you are trying to reach a goal of 3 grams fatty acid per day, you would need to take 10 of these capsules a day. For me that is just too much.

Taste (N/A)
    Fish oil, it's in a capsule. So long as you're not chomping down and bursting them, you won't taste anything. As far as fishy-burps go, I experience none of this whatsoever.

Effectiveness (8/10)
    I take fish oil primarily for joint lubrication, specifically in my knees. I do heavy sets of squat so my knees suffer more than your average joe. I can feel a noticeable difference when taking high amounts of fish oil - pain is minimized, and honestly I have what feels like slightly enhanced mental clarity.

The low concentration of EPA/DHA per capsule really turns me off of this product. At first, the price drew my attention, but when you break it down to what you're actually paying per gram of fatty acid it changes the picture. I will be finishing my second bottle but after that I likely will not go back to again.
    Pros:
    Cons:
    • No Fishy Burp
    • Helps With Joint Lubrication
    • No Taste
    • Effective
    • Cheap
    • Cheaper Alternatives
    Nony
    Nony

Joined: 1/2013
    Reviews: 12
    Reputation: +265
    What is your favourite fish oil product?

Joined: 5/2011
    Reviews: 7
    Reputation: +28
    I haven't tried enough to make a solid call on my favorite. I'm considering taking Animal Omega next. This is by no means a bad product, and is very reasonably priced, I just personally prefer a fish oil that delivers a higher concentration of fatty acid per pill. To get 4 g of fatty acid out of this, you would need just over 13 pills.

May 7, 2013

Age: 41

May 7, 2013
    Average Product from a Decent Brand.

Hi everyone, this is my third review.

I've been using ON's Opti-Men and ON's ZMA - both products that I reviewed, continue to take and would recommend to anyone.

Earlier this year I decided to add Fish Oil to my arsenal, and stuck with ON as the brand because of the good results I've had with them.

My reason for adding Fish Oil to my diet is for the cardio/heart, joint, and overall benefits associated with Fish Oil: the omega-3 fatty acids EPA and DHA.

I have to admit, after finishing 2 100 softgel bottles, I'm a bit disappointed with this product and I've since replaced it with NOW Foods Ultra Omega 3 Fish Oil, which I will submit a review on once I complete the bottle (only been a little over a month of use) and write it up.

So, here is my experience with ON's Fish Oil.

I got the bottles for $10.51 each, which means it's about 10/11c per softgel. A decent value, or at least that's what I thought.

When I first started with the softgels, I took the recommended dose: 1 cap, with breakfast. I basically felt no difference for the couple weeks I did that, so I upped it to 2 per day, and after a month, 3 per day. I only felt a difference at 3 per day.

What difference did I feel? Less pain in my knees when I jogged/ran at the gym (I'm not much of a runner and knee pain + shin splints keeps me from really doing it more often) both while running and the day/s after. This led me to do more jogging/running than I normally would do, so that's a plus.

Of course, taking 3 softgels per day meant I burnt through them faster than I thought I would. And, on checking what's in each - something I should have done at the start - I found out that there's a low amount of EPA and DHA within each so you definitely need to take 2-3 per day to hit a good dosage.

The softgels have no bad taste, no fishy burps, no upset stomach or anything, no fishy body odor or skin, no fishy hair, nothing. They were easy to swallow for me, so I had no issues there.

But, using the 3 a day to achieve noticeable results in my opinion affects both value and effectiveness, so I set the rating at 6 across the board.

I did some looking around and found the NOW softgels I mentioned above, so I switched to those and so far I get much better results at a way better value.

I would not recommend these as I've found an alternative that's a better value with the same/better results; even if ON's Fish Oil were cheaper I wouldn't switch back.

On the other hand, if ON improved by upping the EPA and DHA, kept the price at the same level, then I would switch back for another try.

Overall, I think Fish Oil should be a part of everyone's supplementary diet - just pay attention to what level of EPA/DHA is in the supplement.

On another note, this experience helped me be more open minded towards other brands, and I've been using a number of other supplements which I will also write up once I complete the bottles.
    Pros:
    Cons:
    • No Fishy Burp
    • Helps With Joint Lubrication
    • No Taste
    • Cheaper Alternatives
    • Very Low Epa And Dha
    • Need High Dosing To Hit Efa Target

Joined: 9/2011
    Reviews: 16
    Reputation: +1987
    Good review. i just recently learned that we should be getting at least 5g of DHA/EPA per day. nobody seems to make a capsule with that much in them so you really have to search to find a product that doesnt require taking 20 caps a day to meet that 5g.

Joined: 3/2013
    Reputation: +100
    Hey Ron. Thanks! The Now Foods Ultra-Omega 3 I mentioned has 500EPA / 250DHA; the cost is also not bad at all - around $21 for 180 - and I'm using it with better results than the ON Fish Oil, so you could check it out.

Reply #3:

Joined: 9/2011
    Reviews: 16
    Reputation: +1987
    That is a pretty good deal. I just bought Jarrow EPA/DHA Balance. Its split is not quite as good at 420mg/210mg per cap but you get 240 caps for the same $21.

March 11, 2013

workoutguru

Reviews: 84

Age: 33

March 11, 2013
     For a fish oil product I thought these were pretty decent nothing outstand but nothing horrible. Fish oils are a hard product to review because they help a lot with heath stuff that you don't always noticed is helping you or not.

I always took 2 of these each day at lunch time. I took this mainly for helping keep my joints more lubricated and for some overall health issues. For the most part it felt like it helped a bit with my joints. I know when I was taking these my joints did not feel as achy. This is also good for a lot of overall heath stuff which I really like about fish oils. I know when I was on this I noticed my hair and nails seemed to grow a lot faster which personaly I did not like.

These had no real taste to them comapared to some other fish oils I have taken. These gave me no fishy burp taste which is really good because that is not a good taste to have in your mouth. I like that these are enteric coated so you don't get that fishy smell on your hands. It's also nice these are coated so they are a bit harder to break open in the bottle and get all over which happened to me once with a different brand. It was pretty gross when this happen because it got all over the rest of the pills and when I would take them out to use I got that fishy smell all over my hands and it smelled really bad when I opened them up.

The value of these I think is ok but could be a little cheaper. There are some fish oils out there that are cheaper and I think are a little better. I feel that if I would have up the dosage to 3 pills it would have been a litle more effective. I think this is a little low on the Epa and Dha and could be upped a little more. I was told a few times my hair smelled bad and kind of fishy like and I blame it on these. I do like that these have no mercy in them. When you are looking for a good fish oil you want ones with as little mercury in them as possible.

Overall I think these were decent and helped me. I alway recommend to people that they should be taking fish oils because they are good for so many different things. These are not a bad fish oil to take. If you really want to give these a try I would recommend them. I do know there are a few cheaper brands out there that I think are a little more effective than these. It's hard to go wrong on a fish oils.
    Pros:
    Cons:
    • No Fishy Burp
    • Mercury Free
    • Healthy
    • Effective
    • No Taste
    • Helps With Joint Lubrication
    • Hair Smells Like Fish Oil
    October 8, 2012

MrGregToU

Reviews: 2

Age: 39

October 8, 2012
     I have tried a few other Optimum products and even though they are more pricey they are high quality.

When I got back in the gym after being off several years I was having all sorts of joint pains. After asking around I was told a good fish oil could help.

I am currently taking 3 grams a day and the difference is very noticable. I am able to increase my weights progressively and I am not leaving the gym hurting like I was.

I didn't notice any taste or negative side effects. The softgels go down pretty easy. I will usually take this with BCAA's just to help aid in recovery.
    Pros:
    Cons:
    • No Fishy Burp
    • Helps With Joint Lubrication
    • No Taste
    • Effective
    • Cheaper Alternatives
    September 20, 2012

JanaeWilkens

Reviews: 3

Age: 31

September 20, 2012
     K so I take fish oil for a variety of reasons. It helps joint inflamation, promotes healthy skin, healthy heart, and healthy blood values.

I always trust optimum and the price is right so I stick by their fish oil. I didn't get a fishy taste like you often can which was a huge bonus.

I was having pretty bad knee pain and started taking 6 fish oil pills a day and can say it definitely helped relieve a lot of the pain. I just feel good while taking fish oil. I didn't mention above it also helps maintain a healthy brain which is obviously a bonus.

Overall 9/10
    Helped out with joint pain and has a ton of positive benefits so TAKE IN YOUR FISH OIL EVERYONE!
    Pros:
    Cons:
    • No Fishy Burp
    • Great For Hair/skin/nails
    • Helps With Joint Lubrication
    • No Taste
    • Cheap
    • Healthy
      April 26, 2012

meathead96

Reviews: 23

Age: 25

April 26, 2012
       Love fish oil and optimum is a solid brand. I take 7g of this every day. Great for overall health, joint lubrication, and cholesterol. I know a product made by Optimum is going to be good so I had no doubts when purchasing this and no regrets. I give it a 10 over all. Fish oil is something that every person should take.
      Pros:
      Cons:
      • Great For Hair/skin/nails
      • Helps With Joint Lubrication
      • Effective
      • Cheap
      • Healthy
        AS79
        AS79

Joined: 6/2011
        Reviews: 0
        Reputation: +1348
        Not trying to knock your review or anything, but the EPA, DHA content on these is really low.

April 21, 2012

dmq777

Reviews: 10

Age: 22

April 21, 2012
         I’ve always subscribed to the notion that “an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure” (perhaps more); that’s why I’ve been taking fish oil supplements as a staple ever since I started seriously pounding the weights.

My 2 primary goals for taking fish oil has always been to 1) lubricate my joints to prevent strain and injury from intense weight training and submission wrestling and, 2) to support my filtering organs and blood pressure that may come have under stress from those awesome pre-workout stimulants. I got a 100 capsule bottle of ON’s Fish Oil as a free gift along with ON’s Gold Standard Whey when I purchased it from bb.com.

-------Ingredients 5/10
        When judging the quality of fish oil, I’m not so much concerned about the specific brand as I am about the contents of Omega 3 essential fatty acids contained in each capsule. ON’s Fish Oil is average at best; it contains a total of 1000mg of fish oil, of which there are only 300mg of omega 3 fatty acids (180mg of EPA + 120mg of DHA). This leaves about 700mg of fillers per pill that, in my mind, I am consuming for no reason and result in extra calories. If I take 10 caps a day, this results in an unnecessary 70 extra calories a day, which may be something to look out for if you are on a cut.

-------Dosing 7/10
        Because my joints are constantly under heavy stress from lifting 4 times a week and jujitsu twice a week, I typically shoot for between 2-3g of EFA a day. On average I took about 9 caps of this product per day: with three in the morning, 3 at lunch and 3 at dinner. This way, the 100-capsule bottle lasted me a bit less than 2 weeks.

-------Taste 3/10
        IMO, the specific kind of enteric coating that ON used was a massive fail. The original intent was to eliminate the fishy smell of the caps, which it did; however, the trade off was that the coating itself had a very bitter and plastic taste. I would do my best to not let the caps touch my tongue when washing them down.

-------Effectiveness 8.5/10
        It is difficult to quantify the effectiveness of an overall health and wellness product, I will give this a high rating here because at the dosage I took it at, it accomplished the main goal of keeping my joints healthy and lubricated through the torture I put it through.

To put things in perspective, this was a period of time when I was bulking and was training ball off the wall: I was loading over 400lb on the smith machine for calf raises, 40lbs of additional weight for weighted pull-ups and 185lbs on my shoulder presses. As for the jujitsu, I’ve always trained at a real old-school dojo and every class contains at least 20 mins of hardcore full strength rolling with dude 150-250lbs, with nobody tapping until they’ve put up a good struggle! Through all of this I took fish oil stacked with a vitamin D supplement, and I did not have any pains with my joints at all; so in my books, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure so ON’s fish oil gets a high rating in this department.

-------Value 7/10
        I got this thrown in as a free gift, but you can get the 100-cap bottle for $7.00 online; if you dose like me with 7-10 pills a day, this bottle will last a bit less than 2 weeks which boils down to a bit over 50 cents a day. This is good value, but considering that GNC’s fish oil 1000 is virtually identical in content, and 500 caps I can get for $10.99, there are better value products out there.

-------Overall 6/10
        Overall, although I enjoyed this as a free gift and much appreciate it, I would not buy this individually because there are both better quality fish oils out there with more essential fatty acids per serving, and there are virtually identical products for cheaper. I actually find it rather odd that Optimum would create such an average product considering their reputation of high quality premium products.

Pros:
        Cons:
        • No Fishy Burp
        • Kept My Joint Safe During A Period Of Torture!
        • Helps With Joint Lubrication
        • Enteric Coating Taste Bitter
        • Need High Dosing To Hit Efa Target
        • Cheaper Alternatives
        April 8, 2012

Walter77

Reviews: 3

Age: 35

April 8, 2012
         For me this product was a big disappointment. It gave me one of the worst acne breakouts i have ever had. I discontinued its use and then took it again after 2 weeks, but then again it gave me another acne breakout. I have been without any acne for a long time, so i believe this product was the only cause of it. So if you had acne problems in your past, take care with this product.
        Pros:
        Cons:
          • Acne Breackout!
          • Very Low Epa And Dha
          kris65
          kris65

Joined: 4/2011
          Reviews: 35
          Reputation: +2376
          I have a very hard time believing that a fish oil supplement gave you acne.

January 1, 2012

jjandros

Age: 19

January 1, 2012
           Obviously the price on these gels are awesome but as you can see I rated the value pretty low. This is an entry level fish oil which you can tell from the ingredients with its 180epa and 120dha. The gels do what they say in the fact that they lubricate the joints. The downside to these pills is how many are recommended for daily intake compared to how many you'll actually want to take to see good results. If you're just starting into fish oils or are young and don't have joint pain this may work well for you in or to just keep joints lubricated in order to prevent injury and pain.
          Pros:
          Cons:
          • No Fishy Burp
          • Great For Hair/skin/nails
          • Helps With Joint Lubrication
          • No Taste
          • Cheap
          • Very Low Epa And Dha

Have you used Fish Oil? Submit your own Review!