Fish Oil

By: Optimum

Fish Oil is an Essential Fatty Acid manufactured by Optimum. It contains fats that must be obtained through diet. They serve a wide array of critical roles including cardiovascular, mental and joint health.

Does Fish Oil work?

Optimum Nutrition is notorious for their gigantic line of solid, full proof supplements. From essentials to non-essentials.

I see their Fish Oil product as an essential staple in any athletes supplement arsenal. In one softgel you get 1,000mg of Fish Oil containing Omega 3s, EPA, and DHA.

Fish Oil is all round good for...

Fish Oil is all round good for the body. It's good for joints, heart health, and is perfect to add to any fat loss stack. The benefits of Fish Oil is an endless list.
I stacked/am still stacking this with CLA, Green Tea Extract, Opti-Men, and Flax Seed Oil to promote overall health and weight loss. I take 1 softgel with my 3 major meals of the day- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I got it for just over 6 bucks off ProSource.net.

ON delivers here with a cheap and effective supplement and i will continue to use it.
I highly recommend it.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Great Value
  • Great For Hair/skin/nails
  • Helps With Joint Lubrication
  • No Taste
  • Healthy
  • Cheap
  • Effective

I have gone through a couple bottles of this and I must say that its one of my favorite Fish Oils. They are enteric coated so you do not burp up Fish Oil nor do you have any sort of fishy taste afterwards. The pills actually smell like vanilla so are not at all unpleasant to take. I have pretty achy joints and taking this certainly helps to keep things lubricated as well as many other benefits of Omega 3's [fish oil contains important Omega-3 fatty acids eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and decosahexaenoic acid (DHA)] such as better brain function, hair and skin health, joint support, lowers bad cholesterol, and vision support. Based on cost alone, this product should be in everyone's daily arsenal of supplements since it has so many positives at a very low price. I highly recommend to anyone not already taking Fish Oils, to start and within a month I bet you'll be glad you did.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Great Value
  • Great For Hair/skin/nails
  • Helps With Joint Lubrication
  • No Taste

hey everyone yet another ON review. this time its the fishoil, I chose this one because of price but you get what you pay for. I was highly disappointed in this product.

Price=10 ok its the best thing about this product. you get 200 gels for around 12bucks. thats better than walmart lol.

profile=4 ok not much to say here. its 180epa and 120dha, thats just down right sad. for a company as respected as ON i expected a better quality product. it says 1000mg of omegas but most of that is filler. the one good thing is that it does have an entric coating which helps fish burps. but with any quality fishoil this is no longer an issue. also another good thing about this product is that it is mercury free which they are finding to be a big problem with farmed based fishoils.

Overall I wouldnt recommend this to anyone unless you are just starting to take fishoil and looking for a cheap first run. there are a ton of better fishoil out there, almost anything from nordic naturals is better with price considering on the quality of the product.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Cheap
  • No Fishy Burp
  • Very Low Epa And Dha

Fish Oil is one of the best and most important supplements to take. provides great benefits that include; promoting healthy functioning of the brain and eyes, healthy looking skin and hair, lowers bad cholesterol, pain associated with inflammation, lubricates the joints for mobility/flexibility and lowering body fat.

1 Soft Gel contains 1,000mg Fish Oil, 180mg EPA, 120mg DHA. another reason why i like this product is that it didn't seem to give me the typical "Fishy Burp" that you can encounter with other brands that try to cover it up with some type of flavoring. and most importantly this is Mercury Free.

i take 2 Soft Gels a day, one with breakfast and another one with lunch. i can honestly say that i've noticed a significant difference in the way my joints feel in regards to reduced pain/inflammation, flexibility improvement; skin also looks/feels more smooth and aiding me in losing body fat.

i would defiantly recommend this anybody regardless of your goals, and especially to those who don't like to eat fish like myself. this is a fairly inexpensive-high quality product, with many benefits that's produced by a great company.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Great Value
  • Effective
  • Mercury Free
  • No Fishy Burp
krystian

Hi everyone, this is my third review.

I've been using ON's Opti-Men and ON's ZMA - both products that I reviewed, continue to take and would recommend to anyone.

Earlier this year I decided to add Fish Oil to my arsenal, and stuck with ON as the brand because of the good results I've had with them.

Hi everyone, this is my third review.

I've been using ON's

My reason for adding Fish Oil to my diet is for the cardio/heart, joint, and overall benefits associated with Fish Oil: the omega-3 fatty acids EPA and DHA.

I have to admit, after finishing 2 100 softgel bottles, I'm a bit disappointed with this product and I've since replaced it with NOW Foods Ultra Omega 3 Fish Oil, which I will submit a review on once I complete the bottle (only been a little over a month of use) and write it up.

So, here is my experience with ON's Fish Oil.

I got the bottles for $10.51 each, which means it's about 10/11c per softgel. A decent value, or at least that's what I thought.

When I first started with the softgels, I took the recommended dose: 1 cap, with breakfast. I basically felt no difference for the couple weeks I did that, so I upped it to 2 per day, and after a month, 3 per day. I only felt a difference at 3 per day.

What difference did I feel? Less pain in my knees when I jogged/ran at the gym (I'm not much of a runner and knee pain + shin splints keeps me from really doing it more often) both while running and the day/s after. This led me to do more jogging/running than I normally would do, so that's a plus.

Of course, taking 3 softgels per day meant I burnt through them faster than I thought I would. And, on checking what's in each - something I should have done at the start - I found out that there's a low amount of EPA and DHA within each so you definitely need to take 2-3 per day to hit a good dosage.

The softgels have no bad taste, no fishy burps, no upset stomach or anything, no fishy body odor or skin, no fishy hair, nothing. They were easy to swallow for me, so I had no issues there.

But, using the 3 a day to achieve noticeable results in my opinion affects both value and effectiveness, so I set the rating at 6 across the board.

I did some looking around and found the NOW softgels I mentioned above, so I switched to those and so far I get much better results at a way better value.

I would not recommend these as I've found an alternative that's a better value with the same/better results; even if ON's Fish Oil were cheaper I wouldn't switch back.

On the other hand, if ON improved by upping the EPA and DHA, kept the price at the same level, then I would switch back for another try.

Overall, I think Fish Oil should be a part of everyone's supplementary diet - just pay attention to what level of EPA/DHA is in the supplement.

On another note, this experience helped me be more open minded towards other brands, and I've been using a number of other supplements which I will also write up once I complete the bottles.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Helps With Joint Lubrication
  • No Taste
  • No Fishy Burp
  • Cheaper Alternatives
  • Very Low Epa And Dha
  • Need High Dosing To Hit Efa Target

Fish oil is a benchmark supplement that is important to everyday health.

Price: 10/10
Optimum Nutrition's Fish Oil is dirt cheap. You can buy about 70 servings for 11$! Compare this to Controlled Lab's OxiMega Fish Oil which is 18$ for 30 sevings. The price is simply unbeatable.

Taste: 10/10
Fish oil is a benchmark supplement that is important to everyday health.

Price: 10/10

Taste: 10/10
The pill is enteric coated which I believe gets rid of the whole fishy taste, so it tastes great for Fish Oil. I never experienced any "fish oil burps" while taking this!!

Profile: 8/10
I am not educated on how much EPA, DHA, and Omega-3 Fatty Acids are needed, but it is a good formula to the best of my knowledge.

Fish Oil 1000mg(1 g)
EPA (Eicosapentaenoic Acid)
DHA (Docosahexaenoic Acid)
Total Omega-3 Fatty Acids 300mg

Overall: it is a needed supplement for everyone whether your working out or not.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • No Taste
  • Healthy
  • Cheap
  • No Fishy Burp

I've always subscribed to the notion that "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" (perhaps more); that's why I've been taking fish oil supplements as a staple ever since I started seriously pounding the weights.

My 2 primary goals for taking fish oil has always been to 1) lubricate my joints to prevent strain and injury from intense weight training and submission wrestling and, 2) to support my filtering organs and blood pressure that may come have under stress from those awesome pre-workout stimulants. I got a 100 capsule bottle of ON's Fish Oil as a free gift along with ON's Gold Standard Whey when I purchased it from bb.com.

-------Ingredients 5/10
When judging the quality of fish oil, I'm not so much concerned about the specific brand as I am about the contents of Omega 3 essential fatty acids contained in each capsule. ON's Fish Oil is average at best; it contains a total of 1000mg of fish oil, of which there are only 300mg of omega 3 fatty acids (180mg of EPA + 120mg of DHA). This leaves about 700mg of fillers per pill that, in my mind, I am consuming for no reason and result in extra calories. If I take 10 caps a day, this results in an unnecessary 70 extra calories a day, which may be something to look out for if you are on a cut.

-------Dosing 7/10
Because my joints are constantly under heavy stress from lifting 4 times a week and jujitsu twice a week, I typically shoot for between 2-3g of EFA a day. On average I took about 9 caps of this product per day: with three in the morning, 3 at lunch and 3 at dinner. This way, the 100-capsule bottle lasted me a bit less than 2 weeks.

-------Taste 3/10
IMO, the specific kind of enteric coating that ON used was a massive fail. The original intent was to eliminate the fishy smell of the caps, which it did; however, the trade off was that the coating itself had a very bitter and plastic taste. I would do my best to not let the caps touch my tongue when washing them down.

-------Effectiveness 8.5/10
It is difficult to quantify the effectiveness of an overall health and wellness product, I will give this a high rating here because at the dosage I took it at, it accomplished the main goal of keeping my joints healthy and lubricated through the torture I put it through.

To put things in perspective, this was a period of time when I was bulking and was training ball off the wall: I was loading over 400lb on the smith machine for calf raises, 40lbs of additional weight for weighted pull-ups and 185lbs on my shoulder presses. As for the jujitsu, I've always trained at a real old-school dojo and every class contains at least 20 mins of hardcore full strength rolling with dude 150-250lbs, with nobody tapping until they've put up a good struggle! Through all of this I took fish oil stacked with a vitamin D supplement, and I did not have any pains with my joints at all; so in my books, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure so ON's fish oil gets a high rating in this department.

-------Value 7/10
I got this thrown in as a free gift, but you can get the 100-cap bottle for $7.00 online; if you dose like me with 7-10 pills a day, this bottle will last a bit less than 2 weeks which boils down to a bit over 50 cents a day. This is good value, but considering that GNC's fish oil 1000 is virtually identical in content, and 500 caps I can get for $10.99, there are better value products out there.

-------Overall 6/10
Overall, although I enjoyed this as a free gift and much appreciate it, I would not buy this individually because there are both better quality fish oils out there with more essential fatty acids per serving, and there are virtually identical products for cheaper. I actually find it rather odd that Optimum would create such an average product considering their reputation of high quality premium products.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Helps With Joint Lubrication
  • No Fishy Burp
  • Kept My Joint Safe During A Period Of Torture!
  • Cheaper Alternatives
  • Very Low Epa And Dha
  • Enteric Coating Taste Bitter
  • Need High Dosing To Hit Efa Target

While I regard Optimum as one of my favorite brands with high quality products, I have to say fish oil is just not their specialty. Fish oil is a staple supplement of mine, and I've been taking it for years. This is the first time I have used optimum's brand, and in the past have typically chosen GNC triple strength.

At the time of this writing I am running a keto diet with a fat/protein/carb ratio of 60/35/5. In conjunction with the fish oil I am also taking a multivitamin, preworkout, whey protein, creatine, and L-glutamine. On average I do a 5 day heavy weight training split with 2 days of cardio.

Value (7/10)
I bought two 100 ct bottles for $19 with shipping, sounds pretty cheap huh? Well not entirely. You take fish oil to obtain the EPA/DHA fatty acids. These pill capsules are 1 g of oil per pill capsule, yet only contain 300mg of actual fatty acid. This means 70% of the pill you are taking is some other sort of filler. If you are trying to reach a goal of 3 grams fatty acid per day, you would need to take 10 of these capsules a day. For me that is just too much.

Taste (N/A)
Fish oil, it's in a capsule. So long as you're not chomping down and bursting them, you won't taste anything. As far as fishy-burps go, I experience none of this whatsoever.

Effectiveness (8/10)
I take fish oil primarily for joint lubrication, specifically in my knees. I do heavy sets of squat so my knees suffer more than your average joe. I can feel a noticeable difference when taking high amounts of fish oil - pain is minimized, and honestly I have what feels like slightly enhanced mental clarity.

The low concentration of EPA/DHA per capsule really turns me off of this product. At first, the price drew my attention, but when you break it down to what you're actually paying per gram of fatty acid it changes the picture. I will be finishing my second bottle but after that I likely will not go back to again.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Helps With Joint Lubrication
  • No Taste
  • Cheap
  • Effective
  • No Fishy Burp
  • Cheaper Alternatives
  • Need High Dosing To Hit Efa Target

Obviously the price on these gels are awesome but as you can see I rated the value pretty low. This is an entry level fish oil which you can tell from the ingredients with its 180epa and 120dha. The gels do what they say in the fact that they lubricate the joints. The downside to these pills is how many are recommended for daily intake compared to how many you'll actually want to take to see good results. If you're just starting into fish oils or are young and don't have joint pain this may work well for you in or to just keep joints lubricated in order to prevent injury and pain.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Great For Hair/skin/nails
  • Helps With Joint Lubrication
  • No Taste
  • Cheap
  • No Fishy Burp
  • Very Low Epa And Dha

For a fish oil product I thought these were pretty decent nothing outstand but nothing horrible. Fish oils are a hard product to review because they help a lot with heath stuff that you don't always noticed is helping you or not.

I always took 2 of these each day at lunch time. I took this mainly for helping keep my joints more lubricated and for some overall health issues. For the most part it felt like it helped a bit with my joints. I know when I was taking these my joints did not feel as achy. This is also good for a lot of overall heath stuff which I really like about fish oils. I know when I was on this I noticed my hair and nails seemed to grow a lot faster which personaly I did not like.

These had no real taste to them comapared to some other fish oils I have taken. These gave me no fishy burp taste which is really good because that is not a good taste to have in your mouth. I like that these are enteric coated so you don't get that fishy smell on your hands. It's also nice these are coated so they are a bit harder to break open in the bottle and get all over which happened to me once with a different brand. It was pretty gross when this happen because it got all over the rest of the pills and when I would take them out to use I got that fishy smell all over my hands and it smelled really bad when I opened them up.

The value of these I think is ok but could be a little cheaper. There are some fish oils out there that are cheaper and I think are a little better. I feel that if I would have up the dosage to 3 pills it would have been a litle more effective. I think this is a little low on the Epa and Dha and could be upped a little more. I was told a few times my hair smelled bad and kind of fishy like and I blame it on these. I do like that these have no mercy in them. When you are looking for a good fish oil you want ones with as little mercury in them as possible.

Overall I think these were decent and helped me. I alway recommend to people that they should be taking fish oils because they are good for so many different things. These are not a bad fish oil to take. If you really want to give these a try I would recommend them. I do know there are a few cheaper brands out there that I think are a little more effective than these. It's hard to go wrong on a fish oils.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Great For Hair/skin/nails
  • No Fishy Burp
  • Mercury Free
  • Effective
  • Healthy
  • No Taste
  • Hair Smells Like Fish Oil
  • Need High Dosing To Hit Efa Target
Copyright © 2015 SupplementReviews.com. All rights reserved.