Home > Categories > Creatine > Blends > Optimum > Creatine Powder > Reviews

Creatine Powder

By Optimum
Creatine Powder Optimum
8.8/10
(Weighted average based on 33 Reviews)

Ranks #1 of 33 (better than 100%)
in Creatine > Blends
Dashboard Reviews Discussion Related Prices

kris65

This is a very economical produc

This review will be on Optimum Nutritions Micronized Creatine Powder. I have tried all types of creatines; good ol' reliable monohydrate, CEE, pyvurate, Kre Alk, chetlate, so its no surprise that I tried the micronized creatine monohydrate. This particular creatine is made with CrePure creatine, it's micronized so that it stays suspended in your mixing solvent longer, and obviously supposed to have all the benefits of taking a creatine product (strength, power, endurance etc.)

Mixibility – 8/10

We are all familiar with monohydrate and how you chug it immediately after you mix it. Reason you don't want it to break down, but really it's because if you don't down that drink fast the majority of the creatine will settle at the bottom of the glass/shaker. The mixibility is something they stress with creapure. And in all honesty its pretty good. They market this as if it will dissolve seamlessly in water.....which is far from true. But it's good enough where there isn't too much creatine residue at the bottom of your shaker.

Taste/Smell/Dosing – 10/10

There is no taste, as ON only makes their micronized creatine unflavored. Sometimes when companies say unflavored, there is still this bitter taste, but with this product there was no after taste or bitterness when mixed in water. There is no smell. Dosing is easy; ON suggests just one tea spoon with a meal of immediately after train with your post workout protein shake or with a meal. I usually took it right after working out and that worked great for me.

Effectiveness - 9/10

I gotta say im a big fan of creatine, and I haven't had any problems with any creatine (besides HCL which in my opinion is poo) and this creatine was no different. When I took this I was taking nothing else but whey protein and fish oil. I saw gains in most of my lifts. It was nothing spectacular, but enough to make me happy with the product. I was not as fatigued in the gym, and as a result I worked a little bit harder. I remember bent over barbell reps were getting easier, maybe it was because I was getting stronger idk but I would like to contribute some of those gains to this product.

Content – 10/10

This is just micronized creatine monohydrate. ON touts the fact that there are no fillers or additives in this product. "Each serving supplies a full 5 grams (5000 mg) of 99.9% pure Creapureâ„¢ brand Creatine Monohydrate." When you get a cheaper version of monohydrate or even creapure sometimes the company throws fillers and other junk in there that's not necessary. It's just nice to know that you getting creapure, and nothing else.

Value – 10/10

This is a very economical product. You can get a 30 serving bottle for 6 bucks, 60 servings for $9, 120 servings for $16, 240 for $29. These are prices from BB.com, im sure you could find it a little bit cheaper if you looked around. Either way you really getting a bang for your buck with this product.

Overall - 9/10

Like I said about this is a very economical, and effective product. I will def be using this product in the future and would recommend this to anyone looking for a creatine product to add to their stack.

Pros:
Cons:
  • Price
  • Effective
  • No Taste
  • Increased Strength
  • Increased Muscle Size

Posted November 26, 2011
    awesome review brother. You and I agree, simple and pure creatine is unmatched.

venom434

good review.

Posted November 26, 2011
    nice review bro, I love this creatine. My go to supplement no doubt.

jmlstocks

Posted November 26, 2011
    Nice review my man-Steelers Suck!

Posted November 26, 2011
    I never knew this stuff was creapure. Great review.

Posted November 27, 2011
    Btw, did you load this at all? I never could get a straight answer about that.

Thanks everyone!

@JML - we are coming for you guys lol. You got lucky!!

@mucha103 - no I did not pre load, I didnt think it was necessary. I have tried preloading before with creatine supps and I don't see a difference. I think this worked fine without that.

joeflah13

Posted November 27, 2011
    I second absolutely everything you said lol. Very nice my friend!

This is one of the most basic and most effective supplements for the money

Straight 10s across the board? It cant be! It is!!!

Straight 10s across the board? It cant be! It is!!!

Creatine is a supplement used by almost everyone in the weightlifting world, but recently Kre Alkalyn, Con-Cret, and other types of creatines seem to have taken over the creatine market. With all these fancy new creatines out there, people tend to forget the most time tested, and most basic, and in my opinion the most effective form of creatine. Creatine Monohydrate.

Ingredients(10/10): Again, very simple. just 5 grams of Creapure per Teaspoon. Thats all. No fillers, no extra ingredients, just plain ol' Creapure in a container.

Taste/Mix.(8/10): The creatine has no taste at all, even if you mix it in a glass of water. The only problem is, that it doesnt dissolve, so you do get a little grittyness in whatever you put it in. And unless you put the supplement straight in your mouth dry, then drink water to wash it down, then you will get some of it stuck at the bottom of your cup or glass. which gets kind of annoying, but this happens with most supplements, specifically creatine anyways.

Effectiveness (10/10): This works just like any creatine out there. Good strength increases, and mass increases. I also got increases in endurance, espcially with things like sprinting. I noticed i recovered pretty well inbetween sets, and i could hit the weights hard with each set. Also the recovery inbetween workouts was increased too, its not a recovery supplement, but the creatine did seem to help. And i cant help but notice that the pumps I got when on the creatine were great as well.

Dosing: I have loaded and gone without loading with this supplement. Loading did seem to help get results faster in terms of strength and endurance, but i did seem to hold more water weight when i loaded as opposed to when i did not. This isnt really a bad thing, but i thought i would note that. Without loading, the results did come within the first 2 weeks once the creatine was properly in my system. Also post workout, i would take it with some source of fast digesting carb like maltodextrin or dextrose.

Price (10/10): In short, creatine monohydrate (specifically creapure) is the best bang for your buck, creatine wise. I bought a 120 serving container for a little over 15 dollars. Not bad huh? Also considering the effectiveness of the product and the cleanliness of it makes it a great deal.

Side Effects: None. Most people complain of bloating, or kidney discomfort, or extreme water retention. I didnt really experience any of these side effects while on this supplement (except for a little water retention). I assume this is due to the purity of the creatine, whereas most poorly processed creatines will cause these side effects.

Overall: This is one of the most basic and most effective supplements for the money. I prefer this creatine to Kre Alkalyn or Con-Cret any day.

Pros:
    Cons:
    • Price
    • Effective
    • No Taste
    • Increased Strength
    • Increased Muscle Size
    • Trouble Mixing

Posted April 4, 2012
    Nice review, I agree this is the best creatine on the market today hands down. CEE, pyvurate, HCL, nitrate, phosphate, blends etc... cant hold a candle to creapure.

Posted April 4, 2012
    I love seeing more creapure fans!!!!!!!

bigworm89

Posted April 4, 2012
    You should have saved this for your pct on your hdrol cycle. ;)

yo bro

shinndigg

This product is a good value for creatine

This has been a staple in my supplement regiment for the last several months. By now everyone is aware of the benefits of supplementing with creatine, and it's undoubtedly a must have in any serious weightlifters repertoire. So when I decided to starting using creatine, I went with the most reputable brand that I could think of, Optimum.

I started using this several months back when I went on my major bulk phase. I went with the traditional method of loading for a week, three times a day, and then cycling six weeks on, six weeks off once per day, usually mixed in with my post workout shake. I was very pleased with my results while using this creatine. Overall strength, and muscle size both increased throughout my use of this product. When I was taking it during the loading phase I would mix it up with some Gatorade powder, but you could definitely still noticed the taste. It also did not mix very well like this, I would often times still have a little bit of powder at the bottom of my cup. However taking it during my cycles it mixed well in my post workout protein, and it was hardly detectable in my shake. The other drawback to this is you do get the bloating and water retention, but I'm sure that's the case for all monohydrate. This creatine is micronized and that's supposed to help with better absorption, and I won't argue that's not the case because I've seen great results with this. The key I found is to drink a ton of water when on cycle, and even more when you are loading. On my off cycles I would easily drop 3-4 pounds of water weight.

This product is a good value for creatine as well, 36 dollars for a 2000 gram tub that has 400 servings in it works out to a mere 9 cents a serving. So it's cheap on top of lasting you a very long time. What else is there to say, great result, great value, great company. I would highly recommend this creatine to anyone who is looking to go the monohydrate route.

Pros:
    Cons:
    • Increased Strength
    • Increased Muscle Size
    • Effective
    • Bloated Look/feel
    • Trouble Mixing

Kyl35

Posted January 15, 2011
    Solid review man. Have you ever used Kre-Alkalyn or considered using it?

shinndigg

Posted January 15, 2011
    Thanks brother. I have not used Kre-Alkalyn, but I have read and heard many good things about it. I've got a few weeks left in my off cycle of creatine right now, but I'm definitely considering trying it for my next cycle.

Kyl35

Posted January 15, 2011
    Yea you should give it a go. Most likely you should see all the same results that you do now, minus water retention, mixing trouble, and bloated feeling. I have used it for awhile and always satisfied with the results. GL bro

Matty28

Great review man!

Besides the bloated feel, I think Mono is much better for a bulk.

If your going to go with Kre-Alk go with it on a cut/recomp since Mono worked out good for you on a bulk.

Posted January 15, 2011
    nice review man, can I add this with my fat loss stak?

Nony

The best for long term use

I use creatine on daily basis and sometimes cycle off when cutting to get rid any possible extra water.
    After trying many monohydrate products I found micronised to be the best on the long run.

Taste:
    It is unflavoured and has absolutely no taste

Mixability:...

Taste:
    It is unflavoured and has absolutely no taste

Mixability: 3/10
    It is almost impossible to be completely dissolved even when mixing with great volume of water or any juice and always end up with high turbidity solution no matter how hard I try. If left more than 30 seconds before drinking the powder will settle in the bottom. Even if I drink it instantly there will be some residues left and need to refill liquid.

Usage and dosage:
    Even though I don't believe in the loading I did follow instructions. 5 grams 4 times daily for five days (morning, preworkout, post workout, before bed).
    After the loading phase I used to take 5 grams preworkout and 5 post untill I noticed no difference at all between 5 and 10 grams so I changed the dosage to 5 grams postworkout.
    The bad thing is there is no scoop and to dose with a tea spoon isn't accurate because there are many sizes and every time I can grab a different quantity even with the same spoon so I weighed once on a scale and found a suitable scoop.

I always consider creatine a plus for any athlete and it really affects my workouts and training intensity without any unwanted sides.
    Short term recovery: 9/10
    Roughly 10 days of use I noticed a real difference in recovery between sets. In less than a minute I feel refreshed and ready to go for another one.
    Long term recovery: 6/10
    The impact of soreness the next day (s) is reduced not in a way to make the following training really easier but say about 20% of the overall pain.
    Endurance: 9/10
    Yes. I could really feel it! Some days ivtrained two muscles with high intensity and 30 minutes of cardio and still ready to train leaving the gym unsatisfied and untired.
    Strength: 7/10
    I felt a strength boost. I was able to pump about 2-3 extra reps in some sets and felt more confident and focused on the form when going heavyyyy.
    Muscle building: 8/10
    I noticed more muscle density day after day and the increased intensity really helped with my muscle building goal.

Cutting off:
    After some period of extended use I was really used to the effects so I didn't notice its effectiveness no more untill I decided to cycle off on a cut and I touched the difference:
    The drop sets became a torture for me and my capacity to lift in the last set decayed. Also the muscle pain resulting seemed endless before starting another drop set and the endurance was affected big time.
    However I noticed some water retention because the first 4 days when I cycled off I dropped 5 pounds when my average weight drop was 2 pounds per week following same routine and same diet.

Here where this product really shines! It is cheap! I can buy the 60 servings container half price of other similar products! So why to buy any other specially when considering year round stacking.

I recommend every one to add this one to his basic training arsenal to optimise results and minimise expenses at the same time.

Pros:
    Cons:
    • Price
    • Effective
    • Increased Strength
    • Increased Muscle Size
    • Amazing I Love It
    • Smart
    • Some Water Retention

Posted August 10, 2013
    You said the magic words and you touched me! "even though i dont believe in loading i did it". Very good review man.

Posted August 10, 2013
    Thanx bro

Posted December 30, 2013
    Great review. Have you tried Beast Creature? If you have which would you say is better?

Posted December 30, 2013
    No, i have never tried it

This worked just like any other Creatine Powder I've used

This is my third Creatine Powder I have tried. I've used GNC's house brand monohydrate in the past, as well as Higher Power brand.

Effectiveness: 9. This worked just like any other Creatine Powder I've used. I experienced nice gains in strength and also size. It did not upset my stomach, and was easy to digest. It did however give me a sort of bloated water weight look that most can expect with monohydrate powders.

Value: 8. Average price. This is a Creapure micronized powder, so it's of "the highest quality." You can shop around and find it for good prices. Creatine Powder is generally cheap altogether.

Taste: It is unflavored, and I always mixed it with either my intraworkout shake, or my post workout shake, so I could never taste it. It did not clump and mixed very well. I've used Higher Power and that stuff had the consistency of a very fine powder. This stuff mixed a bit better.

Overall: 9. In my opinion, this is just another Creapure creatine. It works just as effectively as many other brands. I have some brand loyalty to ON, its a well reputed, so I decided to try theirs out. Worked well.

Other: I would cycle this 4 weeks on, 1 week off. I didnt do a preload phase or anything like that, and I still saw good results. I am switching to a Kre-Alkalyn for the first time in a few weeks once I complete my last cycle. I want to lose the bloated water weight look.

Pros:
    Cons:
    • Effective
    • No Taste
    • Increased Strength
    • Increased Muscle Size
    • Bloated Look/feel

Posted February 12, 2011
    great review!!! but monohydrate is really for first time users you'll gain ten pounds with your first cycle, but after that you'll have to move up to the kre-alkalyn cause monohydrate will then bloate you and thats not good

Posted February 12, 2011
    dont get kre you will not gain crap it sucks so freaking bad use this its the best

Goodfella's Creatine Powder Review

**The whole debate between buffered creatine and monohydrate, ethyl ester, malate, ect. will always be at a stalemate.
    Personally, I enjoy monohydrate every now and then, but when you really want to shred off all the subcutaneous water, I recommend you go with a buffered creatine/krealkalyn.**

That being said, this creatine is superb.

Specs:
    60 servings at 5 g micronized Creatine monohydrate per scoop
    CREAPURE!!! The best monohydrate available

Results:
    -Increase in muscle size
    -Increase in STRENGTH endurance, meaning I could bust out extra reps at a higher weight
    -Massive pumps
    -As a post-workout, it keeps your "pump" going, in appearance mainly

Taste:
    Tastes like nothing. :) If you mix it you won't notice its there. Plus its micronized so blends well with no grit.

Side effects:
    Increased thirst. Monohydrate DOES pull water into the muscle area, so drink plenty of it all day! I noticed slight cramping in my plantar fascia when I first started taking this creatine which has proven in my experience to be indicative of dehydration and/or lack of sodium and potassium.

Exercise/diet:
    I hit my mids mostly. I go for highest amount of weight for 10-15 reps, usually no more than 7 sets per exercise, 3-4 exercises per body part, 2-3 body parts per day. Say what you will about that regimen, it yields significant results for me.
    My diet has been on point for the past 3 years. 5-6 meals mostly. Occasional fasting or carb loading. Throwing this creatine in the mix showed immediate results in size and strength.

Other supplements:
    I have only been consuming Forza BCAA's pre workout and Pro7ein Synthesis and Now Glutamine caps post workout.

How I took it:
    1 heaping teaspoon straight into the mouth. Don't mix it in water! Just put it on your tongue and chase it with water or juice.
    I took 1 scoop 15 minutes before training, and 1 scoop immediately after with my protein and glutamine. I took it before bed a few times mixed with my protein.

Overall, its an excellent choice for a creatine monohydrate!
    Try some and have fun!

Pros:
    Cons:
    • Price
    • Effective
    • No Taste
    • Increased Strength
    • Increased Muscle Size
    • Amazing I Love It

CamSTL

Nice review man

chefneilde

Posted January 24, 2013
      Never heard of anyone straight up taking a spoonful on unflavored creatine and chasing it with water + rep for being hardcore or crazy

hahaha ^

Gkeezy

Great review

It does exactly what it is supposed to

Best Product Optimum Makes! I love this stuff. Ill keep this review simple.

Taste: N/A- just toss a scoop in with your pre and your post workout and you cant tell its there.

Best Product Optimum Makes! I love this stuff. Ill keep this review simple.

Mixability: 5/10- Sometimes a little powder says in the bottom of the shaker, no big deal just add a little more h2o.

Quality: 10/10- Great product! Optimum uses a patented form of german creatine monohydrate called Creapure so it is the highest quality you can get (also know for being the purest)Cant get any better than Creapure.

Effectiveness: 10/10- It does exactly what it is supposed to. It is not a PH nor is it a magic powder but it will help you push it harder in the gym and it will help you get stronger and bigger (If you eat enough). Creatine Monohydrate is the only creatine proven to work in clinical trials. thats not to say other creatines (HCL,Ester,Kre-alkalyn) dont work they just have not been proven. Why risk it? Go with Mono!

Value: 10/10- I bought a 1200g tub for $20 granted I get a discount but you can find it online for around $27. thats 240 servings of 5g of creapure. I take 10g a day so it last me about 4 months. Great deal for Creapure.

Pros:
      Cons:
      • Price
      • Effective
      • No Taste
      • Increased Strength
      • Increased Muscle Size
      • Amazing I Love It
      • No Cons

gms585

preach!
      im a mono fan also. Universal uses creapure also and is just as cheep which ever i can find on sale i interchange.

Posted December 21, 2011
      Good to know. Ill have to look into Universal after I run out of optimum.

Posted December 21, 2011
      you think i could put this in my gatorade powder mix with water or put it in my protein shake although it would be in milk if both what do u recomend i should do

i would deffinitely recommend this creatine for anyone

I just finished the 300 gram bottle of Optimum nutritionsmono and i would say this is the best creatine i have ever supplemented with, ive also used Dymatized mono as well as kre alkalyn 1500 which i will compare to in this review.

taste 10/10
      i mixed maybe 4 or 5 grams of this creatine in my pwo drink and could never even taste it, granted i always shake my bottle before taking a drink, then after my workout i would mix one large table spoon in my post workout protein shake and could never taste it which doesnt happen to often with creatine mono.

value 10/10
      this creatine is probably the cheapiest i have ever bought online, even comared to kre alkalyn which is cheap itself, i purchased it from BodyBuilding.com

effectiveness 10/10
      this is where the creatine stood out the most, i stacked this with Optimum nutritions Pro Complex gainer, which im not done with but anyways this creatine has provided me with 5+ pounds of body weight and even 10+ pounds on all my lifts.

As an example when i bench my body weight(145lbs) for several reps which is the only way to build muscle fast i usually bust out 15 reps for 4 sets, however i could easily go another set and a half while supplementing this creatine. also i noticed a massive gain in the reps i could do with pullups, normally 3 sets of 8 reps wide grip would give me an insane lat and bicep workout, however i was doing 2+ sets of pullups with this creatine.

Overall i give this supplement a 9/10 only because i did have some slight kidney cramping if i did not drink a full 8 glasses of water a day which i usually drink a gallon but uk everyone has thoes slack days hahahh

i would deffinitely recommend this creatine for anyone looking to add some MASS to their physique or even bust through a platuea with

• Vascularity
      • No Cons

Posted August 27, 2011
      how long do u think i should take this and how long do i take a break off cuz i bought the 200 grams and i dont think its goood to take this for like 6 months straight

Matty28

Monohydrate has been the notorious creatine for giving a bloating look and feel. I've had first hand experniece with this when I've taken other brands of Monohydrate. But Optimum's Creatine has given me some real solid mass and weight gains.

I've taken Kre-Alk and thought it was by far the best creatine for ME. Kre-Alk gave me no sides and I had pretty good gains.

When I was gonna start another cycle of creatine I thought what the heck, might as well try Monohydrate agian. It has given me bloating in the past but I thought maybe it's worth a try. Optimum is a company I've always been able to trust and a company that has always satisfied me with results. After a week of loading and 11 more weeks of maintenance I've had some of the best gains in my short career. Strength really sky-rocketed in the first few weeks and muscle gains were awesome. I didn't feel any bloating at all which was a pleasant surprise.

I'm not saying Mono is better than Kre-Alk, I think for me though Mono was more effective. People react differently to creatine and I've seen people have great gains from Kre-Alk and mediocre gains from Mono. All in all, on my next cycle I'll most likely go with Mono and I'm defintely happy with the results.

Pros:
      Cons:
      • No Taste
      • Price
      • Effective
      • Trouble Mixing

Cobrah

A must have supplement. The Alpha and Omega creatine

Creatine a monster! Ok so as you will soon learn I am a loyal fan of Optimum Nutrition's products and for good reason. I see no reason to use another brands protein and now, I see no reason to use another brand's creatine.

I have tried many forms of creatine starting back when I was 17....

I have tried many forms of creatine starting back when I was 17. Starting with regular mono, then Kre-Alk and even some blends like Green Mag. I am definitely not saying that any of these forms weren't effective at all, they definitely were. However, I kept hearing about creapure, creapure this creapure that. I finally looked into it and found that it was the highest quality creatine there is. And even better, my favorite brand, Optimun utilized creapure in their creatine powder.

So I went to my local health foods store to pick some up. (wasn't patient enough to wait for it to be shipped to me) and found they offer the powder in several sizes. They go from 150 grams all the way to 2000 grams and about everything in between. I decided to go with the 600 gram container which is about 120 servings. Crazy cheap especially for what you get! That size is going for $14.49 right now on allstarhealth.com and worth every penny. I gave it a 9 instead of 10 because lets face it, it costs Optimum almost nothing to manufacture it so I am going to be very tough on value. And of course taste is N/A because it is a tasteless powder. I like to toss all off it in my mouth and wash it down with water to make sure I get every last grain of it.

I gave it very high marks for effectiveness because plain and simple: Your strength and muscle size will get a huge boost. I didn't even pick up much water weight at all either and never got that bloat feeling you sometimes get from mono. A serving size is 5g. I started out taking it about a half hour after my workout but I found my sweet spot when I split the serving up for 30 minutes before and 30 minutes after the workout. I use a Gym Log app that has a built in timer and usually take about 2 minutes in between sets to build up energy but I kid you not when I say that when I started taking the creatine before it only took me 60 seconds for my next set.

So, in conclusion I will never use another creatine unless some huge creatine breakthrough happens. This creatine and a good Whey Isolate protein IMO are a must have for your supplement stack.

Pros:
      Cons:
      • Price
      • Effective
      • Increased Strength
      • Increased Muscle Size
      • No Taste
      • Amazing I Love It