Creatine Powder Reviews

By: Optimum

Overall Score   How is this Calculated?

Ranks #1 of 31 (better than 100%) in
Creatine > Blends

Creatine Powder is a Creatine Blend manufactured by Optimum. It features multiple forms of creatines to take advantage of the various features of the different creatines. It can increase muscle power, translating to strength gains and increased muscle mass.
INGREDIENTS
THIS PRODUCT

5.0g
CATEGORY AVG

4.2g

Molecule that supports ATP production in the body and increases lean body mass, strength, power, and stamina.

FORUM TOPICS
COMPARE SIMILAR

Zachdylan
  January 11, 2016

----Introduction----
I am currently a senior full-time nursing student focusing on gaining strength. I follow a power-lifting style training program and have been working out consistently for the past few years. I'm currently trying to put on some weight. I've posted a couple of reviews to supplementreviews.com so far. I've been taking this product from Optimum Nutrition ever since I first started training and it's the creatine supplement I keep coming back to.

----Ingredient Profile----
99.9% pure creatine monohydrate. Plain and simple. In addition, the creatine is both CreaPure sourced and micronized. CreaPure is one of the most trusted, purest, and studied forms of creatine monohydrate. It's also micronized, which helps it dissolve in water more effectively than other forms of monohydrate.

----Taste/Mixability/Dosing----
There's little to no taste, being as it's unflavored; however, if you mix it in plain water you can definitely tell something is there. I usually just add it into my post-workout scoop of protein and you can't tell it's there. In plain water, it mixes pretty well (since it's micronized). It doesn't dissolve 100% - however, by nature creatine is very difficult to dissolve completely. Each serving is 5g, which is the evidence-based dose of creatine. The label suggests loading doses when you first start taking it, but I've never loaded and feel as if it's unnecessary.

----Effectiveness----
Some people think they will notice enormous strength gains when first taking creatine; however, this is not the case. One needs to consume creatine over a period of time to see maximum benefit of this product. After a few weeks, I noticed my muscles were fuller and I could grind out the last few reps of heavier sets a lot easier than before.

----Value----
I usually get my Optimum Nutrition Micronized Creatine from Amazon.com. You can get 600g for $13.00. That's 120 servings at about $0.10/serving. For a product that is scientifically proven to improve performance in the gym, you can't beat that price (especially for creatine of this quality).

----Side Effects----
I'm one that typically reacts to creatine monohydrate. When I first start taking it, I am one that typically sees some water retention and bloating. Some people don't respond this way at all - I believe it's dependent on the individual's own body. I will say that I have tried other cheaper forms of creatine monohydrate and have reacted worse. I tend to have less water retention and bloating with Optimum's creatine because it's CreaPure sourced and micronized.

----Conclusion----
8.5/10
Overall, this is an exceptional product. It's cheap, effective, and most-likely the only creatine supplement you will ever need. You *may* experience some water retention and bloating; however, a lot of people don't experience this so you will just have to try it to see for yourself.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Price
  • Effective
  • No Taste
  • Increased Strength
  • Bloated Look/feel
elee229
  September 14, 2015

Ingredient 10/10

Optimum Nutrition (ON) uses micronized creatine. Micronized creatine is creatine that is divided up or cut up into smaller pieces, which increases the surface area by 20 times. It increases absorption and reduces stomach discomfort. No junk or bs is added to this product. This is straight up 99.9% creatine monohydrate. Having the product flavored reduces the amount of creatine per serving. However ON only makes their creatine unflavored which assures there are 5 grams of creatine in every serving.

Taste, Mixability, Dosing 9/10

There is no taste and no smell. ON only creates this product unflavored. Let me warn you, unflavored creatine does not taste good. However it does mix decently. There is a gritty taste when you mix it with just water. ON recommends using a spoon to mix it. That will not work. Even a shaker bottle can't mix it up real well. I have started to scoop 5 grams of this in my mouth then chugged it down with water. This is the only way to avoid all the creatine sinking to the bottom. No need for a loading phase. As long as you take 5 grams consistently, there is no need for one.

Effectiveness 10/10

I'm a big believer in creatine and I have tried creatine hcl and plain old creatine monohydrate. But I truly believe micronized creatine has helped me. I take 5 grams on my off days and 5 grams when I lift. I prefer to take this post workout with a protein shake and I feel that my recovery time has decreased. Sometimes I do take this preworkout and I noticed that I am not as fatigued in the gym. My strength has gone up especially on my squat and my bench.

Value 10/10

600g for $15. 120 servings. 0.03 cents per gram. Cheap yet high quality creatine. This has become a staple in my supplement stack. I always restock this when I am low. There are also no fillers or added junk. This is pure creatine monohydrate. Best bang for your buck.

Side Effects

The only side effect has been water retention. But that is expected in creatine monohydrate. When I tried creatine monohydrate, it caused stomach discomfort. Not the case with micronized creatine monohydrate. There was no discomfort for me.

Conclusion

I would recommend this to anyone who is looking for a creatine product to add to their arsenal. It works, its cheap, and its been proven to work.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Price
  • Effective
  • No Taste
  • Increased Strength
  • Increased Muscle Size
  • Amazing I Love It
  • Some Water Retention
Cobrah
  May 4, 2014

Creatine a monster! Ok so as you will soon learn I am a loyal fan of Optimum Nutrition's products and for good reason. I see no reason to use another brands protein and now, I see no reason to use another brand's creatine.

I have tried many forms of creatine starting back when I was 17. Starting with regular mono, then Kre-Alk and even some blends like Green Mag. I am definitely not saying that any of these forms weren't effective at all, they definitely were. However, I kept hearing about creapure, creapure this creapure that. I finally looked into it and found that it was the highest quality creatine there is. And even better, my favorite brand, Optimun utilized creapure in their creatine powder.

So I went to my local health foods store to pick some up. (wasn't patient enough to wait for it to be shipped to me) and found they offer the powder in several sizes. They go from 150 grams all the way to 2000 grams and about everything in between. I decided to go with the 600 gram container which is about 120 servings. Crazy cheap especially for what you get! That size is going for $14.49 right now on allstarhealth.com and worth every penny. I gave it a 9 instead of 10 because lets face it, it costs Optimum almost nothing to manufacture it so I am going to be very tough on value. And of course taste is N/A because it is a tasteless powder. I like to toss all off it in my mouth and wash it down with water to make sure I get every last grain of it.

I gave it very high marks for effectiveness because plain and simple: Your strength and muscle size will get a huge boost. I didn't even pick up much water weight at all either and never got that bloat feeling you sometimes get from mono. A serving size is 5g. I started out taking it about a half hour after my workout but I found my sweet spot when I split the serving up for 30 minutes before and 30 minutes after the workout. I use a Gym Log app that has a built in timer and usually take about 2 minutes in between sets to build up energy but I kid you not when I say that when I started taking the creatine before it only took me 60 seconds for my next set.

So, in conclusion I will never use another creatine unless some huge creatine breakthrough happens. This creatine and a good Whey Isolate protein IMO are a must have for your supplement stack.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Price
  • Effective
  • No Taste
  • Increased Strength
  • Increased Muscle Size
  • Amazing I Love It
    Nony
      August 10, 2013

I use creatine on daily basis and sometimes cycle off when cutting to get rid any possible extra water.
    After trying many monohydrate products I found micronised to be the best on the long run.

Taste:
    It is unflavoured and has absolutely no taste

Mixability: 3/10
    It is almost impossible to be completely dissolved even when mixing with great volume of water or any juice and always end up with high turbidity solution no matter how hard I try. If left more than 30 seconds before drinking the powder will settle in the bottom. Even if I drink it instantly there will be some residues left and need to refill liquid.

Usage and dosage:
    Even though I don't believe in the loading I did follow instructions. 5 grams 4 times daily for five days (morning, preworkout, post workout, before bed).
    After the loading phase I used to take 5 grams preworkout and 5 post untill I noticed no difference at all between 5 and 10 grams so I changed the dosage to 5 grams postworkout.
    The bad thing is there is no scoop and to dose with a tea spoon isn't accurate because there are many sizes and every time I can grab a different quantity even with the same spoon so I weighed once on a scale and found a suitable scoop.

I always consider creatine a plus for any athlete and it really affects my workouts and training intensity without any unwanted sides.
    Short term recovery: 9/10
    Roughly 10 days of use I noticed a real difference in recovery between sets. In less than a minute I feel refreshed and ready to go for another one.
    Long term recovery: 6/10
    The impact of soreness the next day (s) is reduced not in a way to make the following training really easier but say about 20% of the overall pain.
    Endurance: 9/10
    Yes. I could really feel it! Some days ivtrained two muscles with high intensity and 30 minutes of cardio and still ready to train leaving the gym unsatisfied and untired.
    Strength: 7/10
    I felt a strength boost. I was able to pump about 2-3 extra reps in some sets and felt more confident and focused on the form when going heavyyyy.
    Muscle building: 8/10
    I noticed more muscle density day after day and the increased intensity really helped with my muscle building goal.

Cutting off:
    After some period of extended use I was really used to the effects so I didn't notice its effectiveness no more untill I decided to cycle off on a cut and I touched the difference:
    The drop sets became a torture for me and my capacity to lift in the last set decayed. Also the muscle pain resulting seemed endless before starting another drop set and the endurance was affected big time.
    However I noticed some water retention because the first 4 days when I cycled off I dropped 5 pounds when my average weight drop was 2 pounds per week following same routine and same diet.

Here where this product really shines! It is cheap! I can buy the 60 servings container half price of other similar products! So why to buy any other specially when considering year round stacking.

I recommend every one to add this one to his basic training arsenal to optimise results and minimise expenses at the same time.

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Price
    • Effective
    • Increased Strength
    • Increased Muscle Size
    • Amazing I Love It
    • Smart
    • Some Water Retention
    theguyisback
      July 12, 2013

First of all i used this creatine with just one teaspoon (5 grams) after workout.. NO loading phase
    Now Results...OPTI - MUM well nothing other than what's claimed to be..i used this creatine after having another 100% pure creatine( by scitec nutrition) and i prefer this one by far because not only i get the 20% more power and stamina but also i know that all the teaspoon gets into me and doesn't get wasted...i put this spoon into one small glass of water and i mix it.. then i leave it rigid and unmovable for like 3 mins and the creatine gets suspended into powder form again..imagine this is happening inside your stomach... full dose into your body

Also my muscle size increased somewhat and the vascularity went also up even though i already had enough veins over my forearm

Now side effects - nothing more than some small stomach pains when i was starving and just had one glass of creatine... nothing else
    On the gym i can do 15 more kilos into the bench press (33 lbs more) and i can do like 10 pullups instead of 6
    Price is just 12 euros... that's cheap for 300 grams of creatine but... i wish here in greece the could have the bigger containers of this creatine
    Overall - One pretty good brand to get started if you are a new user to creatine..its a quality product

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Price
    • Effective
    • Increased Strength
    • Vascularity
      Goodfella
        January 24, 2013

**The whole debate between buffered creatine and monohydrate, ethyl ester, malate, ect. will always be at a stalemate.
      Personally, I enjoy monohydrate every now and then, but when you really want to shred off all the subcutaneous water, I recommend you go with a buffered creatine/krealkalyn.**

That being said, this creatine is superb.

Specs:
      60 servings at 5 g micronized Creatine monohydrate per scoop
      CREAPURE!!! The best monohydrate available

Results:
      -Increase in muscle size
      -Increase in STRENGTH endurance, meaning I could bust out extra reps at a higher weight
      -Massive pumps
      -As a post-workout, it keeps your "pump" going, in appearance mainly

Taste:
      Tastes like nothing. :) If you mix it you won't notice its there. Plus its micronized so blends well with no grit.

Side effects:
      Increased thirst. Monohydrate DOES pull water into the muscle area, so drink plenty of it all day! I noticed slight cramping in my plantar fascia when I first started taking this creatine which has proven in my experience to be indicative of dehydration and/or lack of sodium and potassium.

Exercise/diet:
      I hit my mids mostly. I go for highest amount of weight for 10-15 reps, usually no more than 7 sets per exercise, 3-4 exercises per body part, 2-3 body parts per day. Say what you will about that regimen, it yields significant results for me.
      My diet has been on point for the past 3 years. 5-6 meals mostly. Occasional fasting or carb loading. Throwing this creatine in the mix showed immediate results in size and strength.

Other supplements:
      I have only been consuming Forza BCAA's pre workout and Pro7ein Synthesis and Now Glutamine caps post workout.

How I took it:
      1 heaping teaspoon straight into the mouth. Don't mix it in water! Just put it on your tongue and chase it with water or juice.
      I took 1 scoop 15 minutes before training, and 1 scoop immediately after with my protein and glutamine. I took it before bed a few times mixed with my protein.

Overall, its an excellent choice for a creatine monohydrate!
      Try some and have fun!

Pros:
       Cons:
      • Price
      • Effective
      • No Taste
      • Increased Strength
      • Increased Muscle Size
      • Amazing I Love It
        ratafari
        Rep: 0
          January 10, 2013

Just finished a 300grs bottle of this amazing creatine. It has been my first time using creatine supplements to boost my performance and enhance my physique. I didn't stack this with anything, was only taking this supplement. I must also mention that I didn't undergo loading, but rather took 2 scoops on workout, and 1 scoop on non workout days.

To optimize the creatine intake, apart from keeping myself hydrated throughout the day I stopped doing cardio, yes sir, no cardio during the week just plain strength training and eating as lean as possible, not too lean, just healthy lean. My reps went up gradually, and I noticed a volume increase overall in my physique, but specially my shoulders and chest got round and big.

After 4 weeks of use I had to start doing some light cardio, 2 times a week 20 min run, this was because after the 4 weeks supplementing the creatine, my pants were no longer for me, so I had to fix that.

Many people complain about the bloating of creatines, but its silly to do that, after all you are taking creatine to GAIN MASS, and the bloating is part of that. That's why I decided to stop the cardio for some time so that I got saturated and swollen to the point where I was seeing and feeling the effects of the creatine.

Value:
        I got it for 20 dollars down here in Lima, Peru, which is cheap, thats a great thing about this product, cheap and delivers no way it can get better than that!

Overall:
        Great would use it again and maybe try the loading, but I've heard that's better when you are lifting heavier weights. The bloating in my opinion is not a cons so please guys stop complaining about water retention when using creatine, is like complaining about getting wet after diving into a pool.
         Pros:
         Cons:
        • Price
        • Effective
        • Increased Strength
        • Smart
        • No Cons
        Progressive
          November 9, 2012

This has been a staple supplement for me in any way, been using for too long now til i try using ultimate nutrition's creatine powder right now.

Overall:8
        It did increase my strength a little bit being able to force up those last reps of mine and increased the load of the weights. Did what it's supposed too.

Value:8
        It really lasts long enough for me after the loading phase of every season. Price was just alright. It's ON anyway.

Taste/Mixing:9
        For the taste, it doesn't taste anything, just plain and simple. Mixing, it does mix well and suspend in water or whey in shaker well, even spoon stirred.

Effectiveness:7
        I rate this a 7 because when i tried Ultimate's Creatine powder (i'm using right now) that one gives me a little more boost to my strength and endurance, and i liked it better. Anyway, this a good product, did what it's meant produce more ATP, Made you look bigger on a point of view, due to water retention i guess, product wise for beginners out there trying creatine powder.
         Pros:
         Cons:
        • Effective
        • No Taste
        • Increased Strength
        • Increased Muscle Size
        • Bloated Look/feel
        • No Cons
        spwjww909311
          October 29, 2012

I discovered Optimum Nutrition's Creatine Powder on this website actually. The wealth of resources and expert reviews on here helped me feel more comfortable in the quality of product in which I purchased, so I wanted to give back my two cents. I also was aware of Optimum's majestic reputation, and arguably the best supplement company out there.

I decided to write this review because I had lost 40 pounds from running, and wanted to supplement my fat loss with some muscle; what better place to start than a good creatine supplementation product? I also have always been skeptical of supplements, and I am writing this in hopes of encouraging those who are maybe a little cautious or scared of supplements as I am.

I ordered this a little skeptical of the results I would receive. I shouldn't have been. It was an amazing experience and product! Within the first week my girlfriend noticed that I increased in size (and she didn't know I was supplementing creatine). My bench increased 10 pounds in the first week and my lifts just exploded. My first time supplementing with creatine, and I am sold on it!

I know it's not popular to give a 10/10 on a product in any category but I felt this was warranted. I ordered the 600g (which is 120 servings) for only $16! That is simply a value that can't be beaten! 120 servings of the safest, most well researched, most effective creatine supplement from the best supplement company out there.

Taste: 5/10
        It comes labeled as "unflavored" and it really does not have any flavor. However, I honestly could feel the grains sometimes in my mouth after drinking it during my loading phase (and that was a little gross).

Mixing: 8/10
        This product mixes very easily, and very well. The powder is very smooth and thin and just goes together with water or juice well.

Plain and simple: this product works (as a muscle builder). I used this product over the course of a 3 month period and added 12 pounds of muscle! The reason I gave this a 7 instead of a 9 is because it doesn't do much for me as far as recovery goes. Plain and simple, muscle building: great, recovery: average.

My diet was fairly good (low sugar, high protein), and I hit the gym 5 days a week and do cardio for 30 minutes 3 times a week, and this product kept me going! The results were exactly what I expected out of a Optimum Nutrition product (my favorite supplement company). For those that worry a lot like me, I have experience absolutely NO negative side effects; only very positive ones.

I think the large amount of positive reviews plus Optimum Nutrition's great reputation make this a must-have for any serious lifter. If you are looking for a creatine that works, look no further. I can honestly say there is NO other creatine I would use over this one, and that if I had to have only one supplement it would be this one. If you are debating on this creatine -- BUY THIS PRODUCT!
         Pros:
         Cons:
        • Very Little Taste
        • Price
        • Effective
        • Increased Strength
        • Increased Muscle Size
        • Amazing I Love It
        swimchamp253
          August 17, 2012

I just finished my first tub of Micronized Creatine Powder (120 servings), and I had the best "cre" experience I have had thus far.

Value: I picked up a 600 gram bottle off of bodybuilding.com for $15.00, which comes out to around $0.13 per serving. I can't imagine finding a better deal than that so value is DEFINATELY a 10 for me.

Taste: This was a tasteless powder, and I would either mix in into my pre-workout, or after my workout in my post-workout shake. It also dissolved very easily and didn't like that chalky white sh*t at the bottom of my shaker bottle, so thats a plus.

Effectiveness: While I can't attribute all of my lean mass/strength gains to this product, I can say that it helped along with my other supplements (namely protein, multi, pwo) to provide strength and support the gains I made. Also this digested very easily compared to other creatines I have used, and did not cause any excessive bloating. Between this and my other supplements, and following the Steve Cook muscle building routine, I added 4 pounds to my frame (very skinny guy so a lot of that is muscle) and went up in weight in every lift.

Bottom-line: I'm going to be buying this product again. Its inexpensive, effective, and has no crappy side effects. Next step is stacking this with the Jack3d Micro and Test Powder I was lucky enough to win in the give away. Wish me luck!
         Pros:
         Cons:
        • Price
        • Effective
        • No Taste
        • Increased Strength
        • Increased Muscle Size

Copyright © 2016 SupplementReviews.com. All rights reserved. All trademarks are property of their respective owners.