TROOP CP

100% Casein Protein Reviews

By: Optimum

Overall Score:   How is this Calculated?

Ranks #1 of 17 (better than 100%) in
Protein > Casein Protein

100% Casein Protein is a Casein Protein Powder manufactured by Optimum. It utilizes the slowest digesting form of protein. Often used for a time released version of protein, it will help increase muscle recovery and strength.
INGREDIENTS (3)
THIS PRODUCT
(Amount not disclosed)

Slow digesting form of protein that comes from milk and provides a sustained release of amino acids in the bloodstream preventing muscle breakdown.

THIS PRODUCT
(Amount not disclosed)

Patented blend of digestive enzymes often added to protein powders to increase protein absorption, improve digestion, and ease GI distress.

COMPARE SIMILAR

poppapat1503
  August 27, 2015

----Introduction----

I used this product awhile back when I first started lifting a couple years ago. Like all or most of us I go as hard as possible every single workout. I try to consume a little bit over my bodyweight each day in grams of protein. I don't hit it every single day but as long as I get over 200 its not a big deal. The problem with my eating is that my body burns than craves more and more. I usually do powerlifting routines so I need as much protein to rebuild my muscles to keep my strength progress. I have always trusted Optimum Nutrition because I have never had a product I felt that was a waste of my money.
----Ingredient Profile----
Right off the bad when I was looking at the NUTRITION facts (which caught my eye that it didn't say Supplement facts) and didn't see any sort of vague values I was really pleased. There is no prop blends and the ingredient profile is pretty straight forward. There isn't much fats, carbs, calories, or anything for that matter other than casein protein. The ingredients list has micellar casein as the first ingredient making it be the most added ingredient. Which is awesome because it tells me this product is straight to the point.

So why Casein protein?
I heard a long time ago that eating/ingesting casein before bedtime would help my muscles recover better while I am at rest. An added benefit of casein is the fact that it is slower to digest than other proteins making the feeling of a full stomach last longer. Eating cottage cheese before bed was working good for me but I would end up going thru almost three to four tubs a week. I got a bonus at work and decided to give this a try. So casein has phosphorus and calcium that aids in muscle recovery. This form of casein is the only protein to have been proven to be anticatabolic. This means that after a hard workout this form of protein prevents oxidative stress of the muscle tissue.

----Taste/Mixability/Dosing----
Here is where I feel is the only way it could be improved. The powder was a little cement like and the taste wasn't there. I don't believe in using milk or fruit whathaveyou just water and the powder. One scoop each night before I passed out worked well for me a little longer than a month or so. I was able to finish the entire thing. I had the chocolate supreme and like I said before wasn't the best tasting. I could be a little jaded when it comes to this part but whatever.

----Effectiveness----
I would say the effectiveness of this product was outstanding. I was able to sleep the entire night through without having to wake up to eat. After a seriously hard workout the next day I wouldn't be half as sore as usual. This was a big surprise because I could tell right off the bat this product was working and working well!

----Value----
I got the 29 serving 2 lb tub for around $40. To me this wasn't a great deal but it was definitely worth it.

----Side Effects----
No side effects whatsoever. It took my stomach a little time to get used to the concentrated casein but other than that no problems.

----Conclusion----
I would whole heartedly recommend this product and buy it again.
  • Tastes Great Compared To Other Caseins
  • A Little Gritty
Cobrah
  May 18, 2014

To me, a good casein protein is almost as important as a fast digesting whey because it's the go to protein to use before you sleep and (spoiler alert) sleep is when your body rebuilds.
I looked to ON for my slow digesting protein needs because I am loyal to their whey proteins. And they didn't disappoint.

INGREDIENT PROFILE: 24g of protein, 9+g of various amino acids including glutamine and BCAAs. Only 120 calories, 1g of fat and 3g of carbs for you macro counters. A stellar profile no doubt.

HOW I TOOK IT: I've ran many containers of this protein and always used it right before bed to try to keep my body from going into a catabolic state, but just recently I have started using it right before I start my very long work day (I work for a certain large delivery company) and I've found that this helps curb my hunger and keep me out of a catabolic state up until I can get some food in me which is usually many hours later. So it's a really nice tool to have in your corner.

EFFECTIVENESS: The main claims ON has with this casein is that it will digest slow and that it should help with recovery with all the amino acids packed in it so I will base the effectiveness off of those claims. I did find I was less hungry when I woke up the morning after taking this before bed so I do believe it digests very slow. And recovery time is definitely cut down while using this protein. So yeah, very effective, ON delivers on their claims.

PRICE: I think I got this for about 49.99 at allstarhealth.com and that's for the 5lb container which is 55 servings. As always I wish the price was cheaper but that's really not too bad for what you're getting. They also offer a 2lb container if you want to try it out first.

TASTE: I have tried the peanut butter, strawberry, and just finished the cookies and cream flavor. The peanut butter was very good but it was so sticky! It will stick to your shaker, mixer or whatever you use. I hated that because I felt like I was always leaving some potential gains behind lol! It was almost as if it was real peanut butter they used, they definitely nailed the consistency and taste I'll give them that. Strawberry was good, nothing to write home about. My favorite is cookies and cream. I don't know how they did it, but somehow when you drink it, it really feels like a cookie shake complete with chocolate chips!

OVERALL: Definitely a protien to try!
  • Need A Blender To Mix Properly
Samazon

April 14, 2014

I bought this from a GNC while purchasing other powders, having never tried ON casein in the past, and decided to give it a try. The kid at the store had told me for that particular flavor (Cookies and Cream) he liked it by itself in milk at night.

Effectiveness: I'd rank it a 7/10, as it tended to give me night-time satisfaction, not leaving my hungry, and helped me meet my daily protein macro needs. It also did not give me much, if any GI issues. Never cramped or any issues with digestion. For 'soreness' I can't say it helped any, but cannot say that on days that I did not take it, I was any more sore from that previous day's workout.

Taste/mixability: 6/10 This was my biggest problem with this product. It was REALLY thick, even with water and somewhat chalky in texture. I also must really dislike cookies and cream, as I found the flavor unpleasant. I had to mix it in water first before adding any milk/almond milk. After trying to add it in a blendar a few times to change the flavor (unsuccessfully) I chose to just use water and force it down. I guess it it because this is a mix of micellar and calcium caseinate causing such thickness but I am not sure?

Price: 7/10 Not the cheepest in terms of casein, but not terribly expensive. I'd probably pick another product before this one if it is less $$. I got it for about $33 for 2 lbs.

Overall: 7/10 Would I use it again? Absolutely not this flavor, but I might give a plain vanilla or chocolate a try. I don't LOVE seeing some of these ingredients on the label: Artificial Flavors, Creamer (Sunflower Oil, Maltodextrin, modified Food Starch, Dipotassium Phosphate, Tricalcium Phosphate, Tocopherols).
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Not Hungry Upon Waking!
  • Helps Prevent Hunger During Sleep
  • Mixability Issues
  • A Little Thick When Mixed
  • Disliked Flavor
VonBoom
  December 21, 2013

Understanding there's no shortage of reviews for Optimum Nutrition's Gold Standard 100% Casein, I nevertheless feel compelled to do a review as this has been a staple of mine for a while. If you don't understand the reasoning behind having casein in your daily arsenal, it basically boils down to having slow-release protein to heal and feed your muscles over an extended period of time, particularly overnight when your body isn't getting any other sustenance.

I was initially drawn to ON's 100% Casein because I'd suffered through a few tubs of cheap, gut-wrenching protein (I'm looking at you, MuscleTech) and wanted to step up in quality. ON is one of the most trusted brands on the market, so the choice was easy.

Profile: 8

Other's have listed the profile in some depth, so I'll just focus on the highlights. 24g protein per serving, with only 1g fat and 3g carbs (and 1g sugar). One downside is the use of high fructose corn syrup, definitely a point deduction in my book.

Taste: 5

I've tried two flavors: Cookies & Cream and Chocolate Cake Batter. Frankly, neither is that great. I actually add a couple of scoops of Quik to the Cookies & Cream in order to make it a more enjoyable evening drink. The Chocolate Cake Batter isn't much better.

Mixability: 10

No clumping or problems whatsoever.

Effectiveness: 9

Protein is a pretty passive supplement, and by that I mean you can't really feel its effect. But you can't argue with the cumulative effect of those 24g of protein over the course of the night in terms of healing the body and building muscle. Still, I feel compelled to deduct a point because I have other proteins that give me upwards of 29 or 30g per serving. 24g isn't bad, though.

Value: 6

Usually, a 4lb tub retails for around $53. That's too high in my book, but I'm pretty savvy with keeping an eye out for deals. Frankly, I know there are GNC haters out there, but this is a fairly regular red tag item for them. So, I generally end up paying closer to $40-45.

Overall: 7

I stick with ON Casein because it's a trusted brand and, well, doesn't wreck my stomach. Could it be better? Yeah. I'd love to see them come somewhere even remotely close to RCSS protein flavors (or for that matter, I'd love to see RCSS make a casein!). And I'd like to see them ditch the high fructose corn syrup. Otherwise, a pretty solid product.
  • Mixes Well
  • Digests Well
  • Not The Best-tasting Protein
  • A Little Pricey
coolaaron
  October 31, 2013

So I got this product in a way to further my gainzzzz. I kind of bought into the whole grow over night thing and went out and bought Optimum Nutrition casein because I have used ON products before and liked them.

The flavour I bought was Vanilla and when I opened the tub the vanilla smell hit me immediately. Later that night about 1 hour before i went to bed I tried this product for the first time. This is what I found/thought after that night and after the tub (and subsequently a second one) was finished:

Taste/Texture: 5/10
The Vanilla took time to adjust to especially being used to the texture and taste of whey protein, the casein was completely different and not a nice different. The vanilla did in fairness taste like vanilla but the texture just wasnt for me. It was extremely thick and that was with water (I can only imagine what its like with milk) and I know you're probably saying "just add more water" but I did this and there is only so much water you can add before its just too much to drink in a short period of time. Due to its thickness I felt uncomfortable in bed because it really filed me up. I did taste a tub of the banana flavour and it wasnt as thick but tasted like a sweet bubble gum banana which was kind of nice if on a strict diet.

Mixability: 8/10
The mixability of this product was pretty good but took more of an aggressive shake to get it to mix fully as compared to ON whey. Once mixed and drank there was no bits left which points to consistent mix. I did find sometimes that there was a lot of foam left at the bottom of my shaker and on the mixing element/strainer but not all of the time.

Ingredient Profile: 9/10
What I did like about this product was the fact that it had a great amino blend. It contains 5 grams of BCAA's and 5 grams of glutamine which does help with recovery. Each scoop also contains 24 grams of protein with low amounts of carbs and fat. This helps get that last bit of protein in at the end of the day.

This is what disappointed me about this product, I didnt see much improvement after a continued spell of use. I was hoping it would really help me but I dont really think it did much for me in terms of building more muscle. I must admit though that I felt it did help, when cutting, with recovery but that i guess would be due to the glutamine and not the entire casein product itself.

I didnt find the value of this to be great. A 1.8kg (4Lbs) cost me the same amount as a 2.2kg (5Lbs) tub of whey. The only thing I liked about the product was that it conained glutamine but you can buy glutamine separately way cheaper than mixed in casein.

Overall: 6/10 (All this is in MY opinion)
I dont think this product is really needed if you can hit all your macro goals through out the day. I'm not sure the whole growing over night thing really makes that much of a difference to your overall progress. As long as at the end of the day you have eaten everything you need to eat and all your macro goals have been hit then I dont see much need for this product. However If you need this to achieve your macro goals then by all means use it but I personally wont be using it again.

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Less Soreness Upon Waking
  • Helped Recovery
  • Awful Taste
  • Need A Blender To Mix Properly
  • Probably Not A Staple Supplement
  • A Little Thick When Mixed
  • Didnt Help Any
benhur32
  September 4, 2013

Discovered SR through some lifting friends. Been a member for a while, this is my first post.

I have been using Optimum's 100% Casein Protein for over 6 months.

During these six months my goal was to increase strength in my lifts especially my max. I was encouraged to start taking this protein before I went to bed to help feed my muscles while I was sleeping.

I went with heavy weight and light reps.

I used both Dutch Chocolate and Chocolate Peanut Butter. Both flavors were really good. I enjoyed the Dutch Chocolate more because it was more smooth than the Chocolate Peanut Better which tended to be more thick (I drank both with water).

I could really tell a difference with being on the casein protein. I would wake up not as hungry in the mornings.
Over the six months I gained only a 5 pounds going from 193-198 pounds and my maxes increased greatly. My bench went from 285 to 345 in 6 months while only gaining 5 pounds!! I have been lifting for about 4 years so it wasn't a newbie coming into making strides. I had plateaued around 285 in bench for a while.

The only real con was with drinking it before bed I usually had to get up at night to urinate but this was also likely due to drinking a lot of water throughout the day to stay hydrated.

I am not saying that the gains were totally due to this casein protein but I do know that it definitely helped.

I will definitely continue this product: it tastes great and it gives results.

I recommend this product highly and to all my friends at the gym!
  • Have To Pee A Lot
TheJoker21
  October 18, 2012

For a while now, aside from when I was fighting and trying to cut weight, my nightime protein was a weight gainer or a cheap blend of some sorts. I've been hearing about Casein for the longest time and I didn't understand the importance so I bought this product to try it out. It's delicious, it doesn't make me feel like a pig when I drink it, and it keeps me good all throughout the night.

Taste 10:
No surprise hear the Chocolate Peanut butter is FRIGGIN AMAZING!! I get so excited right before bed because I know my delicious shake is coming. It keeps me full but not too gross that I feel like I'm going to puke.

Mix/Texture 6:
My only problem with 100% Casein, no matter what I do or how I mix it I always get a few chunks that won't dissolve and I swallow whole. Not a huge deal but it's a little unpleasant. I mix 1 1/2- 2 scoops with about 4-5 oz of fat free milk and about 8-10oz of water.

Ingredients 10:
One thing I heard about this product and about all Casein protein whats its impressive amino blend which this product definitely has. I'm not on a cutting diet but I love the low carbs and the 10g of glutamine.

Effectiveness 9:
This product has definitely helped as far as soreness is concerned I feel a lot better in the mornings. I used to wake up in the middle of the night starving and ever since taken 100% Casein I haven't had a night like that yet. I'm not sure if it's a direct result of this product but I have noticed myself sleeping a lot better lately as well.

Value 8:
Again I don't mind paying a competitive price for a good product. This protein is about $1 per serving whereas others are a lot cheaper however with the quality of this product it's not an issue for me.

All in all I don't know what took me so long to add a Casein protein to my day, I will try out some other one's in the future just so I can get an idea of what else is out there but in the mean time thumbs up to ON for this.
Jakeman6797
  October 5, 2012

Whats up my SR brothers, I figured its been a while since I dropped a review and I was looking through my old ones when I realized I haven't reviewed this product! Even though its one of my favorites! So here we go.

INGREDIENTS
Now im not going to go deep into the ingredient profile, because frankly im not a scientist. I will tell you though that it is actually a pretty basic protein, with 24grams of slow digesting casein protein. It also has over 10 grams of BCAA per serving which at least I think is pretty dang good.

USES
Now I use this product year round, but when I first bought it was for a bulk, which is also where I believe it has the best use. I would mix half a scoop of this with my 100% whey for post workout (I was never really a fan of protein mixes, although myofusion is delicious) and right before bed. I would take this before bed so that my muscles were still being fed as I slept and I thought it worked great that way.

EFFECTIVINESS
Now this is where casein really shines, my recovery time improved DRAMATICALLY when I started taking this product. Usually after a hard chest day I would be sore for 2 or 3 days and after a hard leg day maybe for 3 or 4, but after I started supplementing casein, my recovery dropped to about a day for chest, and maybe 2 days for legs. If that isn't great then I don't know what is.

MIXABILITY
Unfortunately casein tends to be clumpy, don't even attempt to spoon stir it cause you will basically end up scooping it off the top. I found the best way was to use one of those magic bullet type mini blenders, or to just chug past the stuff floating on the top.

TASTE
The chocolate supreme has to be my favorite and the one I am currently using, once you get past the bad mixability it is actually a pretty dang good tasting protein.

VALUE
This casein tends to cost about in the same ballpark as most other proteins do so that's pretty good I guess

To anyone out there who hasn't tried casein, I say go for it. it is a great supplement that can have very noticeable results on your recovery, and in my opinion should be a staple supplement in peoples regimens.

girlfitness9
  September 10, 2012

I was taking cassein at night while taking creatine so I would recover at night.

Flavor:
Chocolate is reasonably good but VERY VERY VERY thick. It was hard to mix even in a blender.

Effectiveness 9/10
Lots of glutamine and protein in product that is supposedly slow digesting so I did wake up feeling much more recovered and better than I would have without taking this. Casein also curbed my appetite when I took at night. Usually I get cravings which I didn't get

Value 8/10
35 for 30 servings isn't bad

Overall 9/10
I definitely recommend taking at night to stay in a recovery muscle building state all night. I woke up feeling a lot better than I normally would have and put on a good amount of strength, especially mixed with creatine.
  • Not Hungry Upon Waking!
  • More Expensive Than Whey But Understandably.
  • Thickens If Let To Sit For Too Long
fitgirlie
Rep: -1
  August 21, 2012

Mixology is terrible. I couldn't mix this stuff unless it was in a blender. There is no way to blend with milk in a shaker.

Value 7/10
35 bucks a 2.5 pound tub

Effectiveness 8/10
I found to be more effective than whey and curbed my appetite all night long which was nice. 24 grams of protein per scoop with minimal fat and no carbs really.

Ovearll 8/10
Good product, I like it better than whey because you have protein flowing for hours on end without worrying about instant release of whey and eating every few hours.
  • A Little Gritty

Copyright © 2016 SupplementReviews.com. All rights reserved. All trademarks are property of their respective owners.