100% Casein Protein

By Optimum
100% Casein Protein Optimum
8.8/10
(Weighted average based on 139 Reviews)

Ranks #3 of 21 (better than 90%)
in Protein > Casein Protein
Dashboard Reviews Discussion Related Prices

Samazon

Hated the taste, but might give it another whirl.

I bought this from a GNC while purchasing other powders, having never tried ON casein in the past, and decided to give it a try. The kid at the store had told me for that particular flavor (Cookies and Cream) he liked it by itself in milk at night.

Effectiveness: I'd rank it a 7/10, as it...

Effectiveness: I'd rank it a 7/10, as it tended to give me night-time satisfaction, not leaving my hungry, and helped me meet my daily protein macro needs. It also did not give me much, if any GI issues. Never cramped or any issues with digestion. For 'soreness' I can't say it helped any, but cannot say that on days that I did not take it, I was any more sore from that previous day's workout.

Taste/mixability: 6/10 This was my biggest problem with this product. It was REALLY thick, even with water and somewhat chalky in texture. I also must really dislike cookies and cream, as I found the flavor unpleasant. I had to mix it in water first before adding any milk/almond milk. After trying to add it in a blendar a few times to change the flavor (unsuccessfully) I chose to just use water and force it down. I guess it it because this is a mix of micellar and calcium caseinate causing such thickness but I am not sure?

Price: 7/10 Not the cheepest in terms of casein, but not terribly expensive. I'd probably pick another product before this one if it is less $$. I got it for about $33 for 2 lbs.

Overall: 7/10 Would I use it again? Absolutely not this flavor, but I might give a plain vanilla or chocolate a try. I don't LOVE seeing some of these ingredients on the label: Artificial Flavors, Creamer (Sunflower Oil, Maltodextrin, modified Food Starch, Dipotassium Phosphate, Tricalcium Phosphate, Tocopherols).

Pros:
Cons:
  • Not Hungry Upon Waking!
  • Helps Prevent Hunger During Sleep
  • Mixability Issues
  • A Little Thick When Mixed
  • Disliked Flavor

Posted April 14, 2014
For taste/mixability issues, and having tried this myself in the past... I would recommend you try Nutrabio's Micellar Casein (Strawberry or Chocolate, NOT Vanilla).

Good review as usual Samazon

Samazon

Posted April 16, 2014
Thanks Rodrigo- I will put it on my list of supps to try. finding a good casein, that I don't mind the taste/mixing an issue has been a challenge.

VonBoom

Mediocre taste—but no protein farts!

Understanding there’s no shortage of reviews for Optimum Nutrition’s Gold Standard 100% Casein, I nevertheless feel compelled to do a review as this has been a staple of mine for a while. If you don’t understand the reasoning behind having casein in your daily arsenal, it basically boils down to having slow-release protein to heal and feed your muscles over an extended period of time, particularly overnight when your body isn’t getting any other sustenance.

I was initially drawn to ON’s 100% Casein because I’d suffered through a few tubs of cheap, gut-wrenching protein (I’m looking at you, MuscleTech) and wanted to step up in quality. ON is one of the most trusted brands on the market, so the choice was easy.

Profile: 8

Other’s have listed the profile in some depth, so I’ll just focus on the highlights. 24g protein per serving, with only 1g fat and 3g carbs (and 1g sugar). One downside is the use of high fructose corn syrup, definitely a point deduction in my book.

Taste: 5

I’ve tried two flavors: Cookies & Cream and Chocolate Cake Batter. Frankly, neither is that great. I actually add a couple of scoops of Quik to the Cookies & Cream in order to make it a more enjoyable evening drink. The Chocolate Cake Batter isn’t much better.

Mixability: 10

No clumping or problems whatsoever.

Effectiveness: 9

Protein is a pretty passive supplement, and by that I mean you can’t really feel its effect. But you can’t argue with the cumulative effect of those 24g of protein over the course of the night in terms of healing the body and building muscle. Still, I feel compelled to deduct a point because I have other proteins that give me upwards of 29 or 30g per serving. 24g isn’t bad, though.

Value: 6

Usually, a 4lb tub retails for around $53. That’s too high in my book, but I’m pretty savvy with keeping an eye out for deals. Frankly, I know there are GNC haters out there, but this is a fairly regular red tag item for them. So, I generally end up paying closer to $40-45.

Overall: 7

I stick with ON Casein because it’s a trusted brand and, well, doesn’t wreck my stomach. Could it be better? Yeah. I’d love to see them come somewhere even remotely close to RCSS protein flavors (or for that matter, I’d love to see RCSS make a casein!). And I’d like to see them ditch the high fructose corn syrup. Otherwise, a pretty solid product.

Pros:
Cons:
  • Helped Recovery
  • Less Soreness Upon Waking
  • Digests Well
  • Mixes Well
  • A Little Pricey
  • Not The Best-tasting Protein

Posted December 20, 2013
If you are set on casein, you could try Nutrabio's. I find it's better tasting and better quality than ON.

Posted December 20, 2013
Thanks for the tip, Rodrigo. I'll give it a shot!

adam777

Posted December 21, 2013
I like the quik idea.

Gkeezy

Posted December 22, 2013
Sorry fat finger will rep another one

Posted December 22, 2013
Lol. Curse you, fat fingerrrrr!!!

birdman2211

Optimum just continues to impress me!

After finishing my second 4lb jug I thought it was time for a review. This has become my favorite Optimum Protein. Just like all other Optimum Proteins it has a great amino acid profile. 1 scoop contains 5g of BCAA's and 5g of glutamine. Whats amazing, is that the total release of amino acids can last up to 7-8 hours making it extremely valuable for bed time.
-Taste 9/10: Being casein its the best I'v had. 6oz of water gave it a nice rich chocolate taste.
-Mixability 9/10: I like the thicker texture it makes you feel fuller.
-Effectiveness 10/10: Definitely helped aid with recovery and new muscle growth.
With only 2 net carbs its perfect for running a low-carb diet or a healthy night time snack. This is by far the best casein Protein availible(IMO). Optimum just continues to impress me!

MMAFreak

It is a bit more expensive than some other casein powders out there but it is worth it

If you are looking for a casein protein to take before bed then you should go with Optimum 100% Casein for sure. It is a bit more expensive than some other casein powders out there but it is well worth it. One of the reasons I used to have a hard time sleeping through the night was that I would get really hungry and have to wake up and have a snack to kill the hunger pains. Since I started taking casein at night I have not had a problem with it. I like to mix mine with half water and half coconut milk for a nice thick shake that keeps me full and anabolic throughout the night. I have never steered away from the Chocolate Peanut Butter because I really like the taste of it and have gone through two tubs of it. It still has that casein taste to it but it is the best tasting casein shake that I have ever tried and I have no intention of switching brands ever. It is great that it has only 120 calories, 1g of fat, 2 net carbs and 24g of protein making it the most ideal bedtime food ever. If you break it down the cost is really not too bad, considering you can get almost a two month supply for around 40 bucks. This has become an absolute essential to my stack and I really wonder how I ever got by without it. I take my ZMA an hour before my casein and I just feel great every morning. Highly recommend this product to anyone who is physically active no matter what your goals are.

Posted May 7, 2010
      Dude, bodybuilding.com has a deal if you buy ON's Whey and Casein you get a free bottle of Opti-men 90 count. It's only 80 dollars. Great for stacking up in my opinion.

Anyway, great review. I have to agree that I like having a little somethun' somethun' before bed because I wake up hungry like a bear and want to tear up the fridge. This and cottage cheese has helped that very much.

Sal

Posted May 7, 2010
      Do you compete in MMA, Because I find after those workouts I am starving like a bear. I just bought this on thursday and hope it will help with wanting raid the refrigerator like a bear.

MMAFreak

Posted May 7, 2010
      I used to, but my career gets in the way and I just don't have the time needed to properly prepare for a fight. I feel you on the appetite after training. When I used to do two and a half to three hour sessions I would come home and raid the fridge out like crazy. You can get away with it when you are burning 2500 calories in a single workout. This really helps me with night time snacking, but I don't think anything can keep me from gorging right after an MMA session.

Posted May 7, 2010
      Optimum nutrition is the only legit brand that i can trust. reasonable prices and high quality protein, its not like some other brands like muscle tech where all there supplements are a bunch of BS

Posted May 7, 2010
      u could consider casein as a meal replacement at night and replace dinner?

This stuff helps me keep my body in an anabolic state

Well I am on my third tub of Optimum casein and I like almost everything about it. It is a time released protein formula which comes in handy in special times of the day, bedtime mostly. I strongly believe that it should be a staple supplement on every serious athlete.

Convenience - I find this protein to aid me in several scenarios when I know I won't have the chance to get a meal for hours. This stuff helps me keep my body in an anabolic state, always having some protein on my system. I am a student so sometimes I have a shake of this before going into classes, great for when I run out of protein bars and excellent just before going to bed. Furthermore it is great for either bulking, cutting or eevn if you aren't on either of the previously stated plans. If you are cutting you find that you wake up less hungry in the morning than if you didn't take casein.

Effectiveness - I found a noticeable improvement in recovery, less muscle soreness. In short, this casein just does what its supposed to do, keeping your body in an anabolic state.

Ingredient profile - The BCAA's Optimum casein has to offer are fundamental for building muscle. It further is a very healthy protein: decently low sodium, only 120 calories, no sugar, 24g protein, 1g fat and only 3g of carbs which makes it an ideal bedtime protein. It further has nearly 5g of glutamine and precursors per scoop, great for aiding faster recovery.

Taste - This factor is the least important to me but i have tried two flavors. The cookies and cream is nice at first but you get bored quickly and it becomes rather bland. The chocolate supreme on the other hand is quite tasty and doesn't get old. If you have never tried a casein protein before,,, beware the texture is a bit thicker, adding water makes it smoother yet makes the taste less noticeable so you must try find your ideal amount of water really.

Would I recommend this? Definitely. Optimum scores high marks with this quality protein and gives you what your body requires when talking about casein proteins. Overall fantastic product.

Pros:
      Cons:
      • Stands On Its Own Class Compared To Other Caseins
      • Great All Around
      • A Little Gritty

Manimal

Solid review man

Posted June 16, 2010
      Thanks, glad I could review a product decently on my first attempt. I'll sure try review more products and try do so as well as some of you guys do.

Posted June 16, 2010
      Great review... I just bought this and am looking forward to trying it. Your review assures me that I made a good decision. Thanks.

Posted June 16, 2010
      Really great review my brother, just started taking it yesterday and I agree in every aspect. Peruvian power all the way man

nmucha01

nmucha01's 100% Casein Protein Review

ON does it again for me.

I just finished my huge tub of Casein, 55 serving I think. I had chocolate.

ON does it again for me.

I just finished my huge tub of Casein, 55 serving I think. I had chocolate.

Taste: 10/10. I usually don't get chocolate If I can avoid it, and I'm kind of a *** when it comes to taste, I'll admit. But ON Casein tasted awesome, it was smooth and chocolatey, I would actually crave it at night.

Mixability: 7/10. Not so great, probably the worst aspect of the product. It mixed pretty well for the first 60% of the tub, but towards the end it would clump up, no matter how hard I shook it.

Value: 9/10. It's expensive, no doubt. I got my 5lb tub for 45 dollars, which is a hefty chunk of change for a student, but two factors gave it good value: 1.) Its lasts forevverrrr, and 2.) It is very effective.

Effectiveness: I took this product to keep me from losing muscle at night and to keep me full at night, so I wouldn't wake up so hungry that I would go and eat terrible, unhealthy craving foods when I woke up. For both of those goals, ON delivered, I would wake up with a still slightly full stomach. But I also noticed more Muscle Gain over the course of the tub, and less soreness on nights when I used it, especially leg days.

Overall: 9/10. I've tried lots of samples of other time-release proteins, and while I can't really judge their effectiveness, I can tell you that ON casein is great tasting in comparison, especially with skim milk, which is how I mixed it. I recommend this product to anyone who is trying to seriously build muscle, because nighttime catabolism can really be detrimental.

This easily became a staple for me.

• Amazing Taste
      • Mixability Issues

Posted August 5, 2011
      i love this stuff no joke! i mix it with skim and it is very good. i noticed water made it kinda sandy. good review

Posted August 5, 2011
      ON casein is my choice also. Mixability is an issue for me too, but all casein seems to be. Nice review

Tdevil

Posted August 5, 2011
      The only casein that mixes effortlessly is Xtreme Formulations Ultra Peptide. The texture & taste is orgasmic, you will not believe you drank a casein shake!

shinndigg

shinndigg's 100% Casein Protein Review

Purchased this along with Optimum's 100% Whey Protein as part of the "Performance Stack" you can buy on bb.com, which also includes a free 90 count bottle of Opti-Men vitamins. Everything I had read about casein protein indicated it is best used before bed due to it's slower digestion rate, which is exactly what I did. The price on this is somewhat steep, roughly $25 for a 2 lb tub, which contains about 28 servings(89 cents a serving), and $45 for a 4 lb tub and about 56 servings(80 cents a serving). Contains 24g of protein per scoop along with 5g of BCAA and 5g of glutamine, I also added one teaspoon of BCAA and glutamine powder to make it an even 10g each for an Ultimate nighttime recovery shake. I would mix one scoop with an 8 ounce low fat milk/4 ounce water combination for added protein. Along with taking the ON 100% Whey and SciVation's Xtend after my workouts, this was a good addition to my post workout recovery aid.

The nice thick texture of this product is good for making you feel full and satisfied before you hit the bricks for the night. I had the cookies and creme flavor (usually my favorite flavor for any protein powder), and it tasted exceptionally well. I actually looked forward to having one of these every night before going to sleep. I mixed it up in a shaker cup for about 30 seconds to a minute and it was good to go, mixing surprisingly well for the fact it's a thicker powder. I would wake up in the morning feeling very well recovered after taking one of these shakes every night. I was able to maintain my gains that I had made during my previous bulking phase, and am currently using another tub (chocolate) during my bulk phase I am on now. I am very satisfied with this product, and will definitely continue to use it in the future. I would highly recommend this as an addition to anyone's supplement regiment if they can afford it.

• Amazing Taste
      • Not Hungry Upon Waking!
      • More Expensive Than Whey But Understandably.

Taste is average, but great for the nutritional breakdown

One thing I must begin with, is that you don't necessarily need a blender to mix this properly. You can use a whisk in a mug, and spin it between your palms to create a great mix with this product. I don't have to use the blender to have a clump-free blend. Wonderful!
      (Be sure to use enough liquid,...
      (Be sure to use enough liquid, it seemed like twice the amount used for whey.)

I purchased this so that I would have something to eat before bed, and it was one of the best investments I have made thus far. Not only is the consistency ultra-thick (I love this, some don't) It tastes good, (Chocolate peanut butter) especially considering it's low calorie/sugar content. Usually these products are compared to products loaded with fats and sugars, this is not, and I respect ON for doing things right.

With that said, I don't wake up hungry anymore, which was a big issue for me considering my extremely active lifestyle.

On the other hand, I didn't feel a difference in soreness. I like to switch up my routines regularly and soreness didn't change, although my established routine of drinking whey after a workout helped with that, so I can just say that it didn't improve upon that. I just felt like I didn't lose any strength in my sleep, and my muscles weren't weak and "hungry" feeling, if that makes sense.

Also, gas/faster digestion. Not too bad, but it definitely shocked my digestive system a little bit. Not like when I first started whey, though. I got (mostly) used to it after a few weeks, but still.

Oh, and even though I drank just as much water (including the shake) the night before, I felt like I had to urinate in the morning more urgently. I don't know why this is, but hey. Sodium? Diuretic? Idk.

...To recall my positives.
      *I love the thickness.
      *Taste is average, but great for the nutritional breakdown.
      *I never woke up hungry while taking this product.
      *Use a whisk if you're too lazy to use a blender like me, just make sure to USE ENOUGH FLUID.

Pros:
      Cons:
      • Wonderfully Thick Consistency
      • Helps Prevent Hunger During Sleep
      • More Expensive Than Whey But Understandably.
      • Need A Blender To Mix Properly

kingmeat

I started off with a two pound tub of casein because this was my first time using it. I wasn't sure if it would be worth the money to spend being that cottage cheese is a much cheaper route and also there are less expensive casein proteins but I trust Optimum to deliver on what they sell.

I love that this product kept me anabolic as i sleep because most people know sleep is one of the most important parts of muscle building. This product is for anyone looking for help keeping their gains and hard earned muscle and fighting catabolism.

I can't say that this alone kept me from becoming sore as its another part of a stack where i have other items to help me recover like glutamine, extra BCAA's, now Pink Magic and Prime. But i rarely feel extra pain but a little bit to know that i've done something in the gym.

It only has 3 grams of carbs and 1 gram of fat and 1g of sugar which is excellent right before bed and 24g of protein and has those BCAA's and glutamine that you need for night time recovery. Taste of chocolate was also excellent as i take it with milk and add some Flaxseed Oil and peanut butter to slow down the digestion.

Picked up a 4 pound tub of chocolate peanut butter now that i heard that one tastes great so without a doubt a good pickup for any stack.

Pros:
      Cons:
      • Less Soreness Upon Waking
      • Not Hungry Upon Waking!

I've clearly noticed improved recovery and none of the muscle "burnout"

I hate giving a product a ten, but I really CANNOT find a flaw with this protein.

Most people don't realize the importance of a casein protein. This is great for retaining the anabolic state necessary for muscle building while recovering from your workout overnight. Obviously since the target sleep time is 7-9 hours we get hungry when we sleep and run out of the nutrients our body needs to build muscle.

That's where casein comes in! Casein protein breaks down much slower than whey, allowing your body to have the nutrients necessary for overnight muscle recovery.

Definitely make sure you know when to use this protein, otherwise you're wasting a high quality product. The taste is fine, but I usually don't notice taste anymore. The quality of the protein itself is high, and I've clearly noticed improved recovery and none of the muscle "burnout" I usually feel with my fasted AM training.