Home > Categories > Protein > Time Release > Optimum > 100% Casein Protein

Optimum 100% Casein Protein

100% Casein Protein Optimum
Expert Rating:
User Rating: (138 Reviews)

Review Authenticity: 99% (Well Trusted)

Compare Similar Products:

Users who liked this product also liked:

Optimum 100% Whey Reviews
100% Whey (375 Reviews)
9.2
Optimum Platinum Hydro Whey Reviews
Platinum Hydro Whey (98 Reviews)
9.1
Optimum Pro Complex Reviews
Pro Complex (106 Reviews)
9.3
BSN Syntha-6 Reviews
Syntha-6 (167 Reviews)

Products in the same category:

MHP Up Your Mass Reviews
Up Your Mass (88 Reviews)
Muscle Pharm Combat Reviews
Combat (51 Reviews)
Dymatize Elite 12 Hour Protein Reviews
Elite 12 Hour Protein (41 Reviews)
Optimum Nitro Core 24 Reviews
Nitro Core 24 (38 Reviews)

Related Forum Topics

Daily Debate: Are 100% Casein Proteins a Waste of Money?
Debate Question: Are 100% Casein Proteins Worth the Money? My Opinion: No!!!We...

Dymatize Elite 12 Hour Protein Vs ON 100% Casein Protein
Guys. I'm looking for a high quality casein protein to take before bed and...

Optimum 100% Casein Protein or Dymatize Elite 12 hour protein.
I am wanting to take a protein at night and deciding between the optimum casein ...

Can I mix ON 100% Whey and 100% Casein Proteins?
Reason I ask, is during the week I am pretty much getting my lifting workout in ...

2 x 4lb Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Casein Protein $63 Shipped

Get Involved!

Confused about Supplements?

FREE 7-Day Supplement Crash Course:

Description

This is one of the top casein products on the market today. It is highly valuable as a slow digesting protein source and is ideal to be taken right before bed-time to prevent catabolism.

100% Casein Protein Nutritional Info and Supplement Facts on: Links open in new window
100% Casein Protein Reviews:
Pros:
Cons:
  • Builds Muscle (99)
  • Helped Recovery (98)
  • Less Soreness Upon Waking (77)
  • Not Hungry Upon Waking! (59)
  • More Expensive Than Whey But Understandably. (47)
  • A Little Gritty (25)
  • Thickens If Let To Sit For Too Long (24)
  • Mixability Issues (13)
January 1, 2011

shinndigg

Reviews: 61

Age: 23

January 1, 2011
 Purchased this along with Optimum's 100% Whey Protein as part of the "Performance Stack" you can buy on bb.com, which also includes a free 90 count bottle of Opti-Men vitamins. Everything I had read about casein protein indicated it is best used before bed due to it's slower digestion rate, which is exactly what I did. The price on this is somewhat steep, roughly $25 for a 2 lb tub, which contains about 28 servings(89 cents a serving), and $45 for a 4 lb tub and about 56 servings(80 cents a serving). Contains 24g of protein per scoop along with 5g of BCAA and 5g of glutamine, I also added one teaspoon of BCAA and glutamine powder to make it an even 10g each for an Ultimate nighttime recovery shake. I would mix one scoop with an 8 ounce low fat milk/4 ounce water combination for added protein. Along with taking the ON 100% Whey and SciVation's Xtend after my workouts, this was a good addition to my post workout recovery aid.

The nice thick texture of this product is good for making you feel full and satisfied before you hit the bricks for the night. I had the cookies and creme flavor (usually my favorite flavor for any protein powder), and it tasted exceptionally well. I actually looked forward to having one of these every night before going to sleep. I mixed it up in a shaker cup for about 30 seconds to a minute and it was good to go, mixing surprisingly well for the fact it's a thicker powder. I would wake up in the morning feeling very well recovered after taking one of these shakes every night. I was able to maintain my gains that I had made during my previous bulking phase, and am currently using another tub (chocolate) during my bulk phase I am on now. I am very satisfied with this product, and will definitely continue to use it in the future. I would highly recommend this as an addition to anyone's supplement regiment if they can afford it.

• Amazing Taste
May 7, 2010

Reviews: 40

Age: 26

May 7, 2010
 If you are looking for a casein protein to take before bed then you should go with Optimum 100% Casein for sure. It is a bit more expensive than some other casein powders out there but it is well worth it. One of the reasons I used to have a hard time sleeping through the night was that I would get really hungry and have to wake up and have a snack to kill the hunger pains. Since I started taking casein at night I have not had a problem with it. I like to mix mine with half water and half coconut milk for a nice thick shake that keeps me full and anabolic throughout the night. I have never steered away from the Chocolate Peanut Butter because I really like the taste of it and have gone through two tubs of it. It still has that casein taste to it but it is the best tasting casein shake that I have ever tried and I have no intention of switching brands ever. It is great that it has only 120 calories, 1g of fat, 2 net carbs and 24g of protein making it the most ideal bedtime food ever. If you break it down the cost is really not too bad, considering you can get almost a two month supply for around 40 bucks. This has become an absolute essential to my stack and I really wonder how I ever got by without it. I take my ZMA an hour before my casein and I just feel great every morning. Highly recommend this product to anyone who is physically active no matter what your goals are.
    SoulMonkey
    SoulMonkey

Reviews: 17
    Reputation: +323
    Dude, bodybuilding.com has a deal if you buy ON's Whey and Casein you get a free bottle of Opti-men 90 count. It's only 80 dollars. Great for stacking up in my opinion.

Anyway, great review. I have to agree that I like having a little somethun' somethun' before bed because I wake up hungry like a bear and want to tear up the fridge. This and cottage cheese has helped that very much.

Sal
    Sal

Joined: 2/2009
    Reviews: 23
    Reputation: +45
    Do you compete in MMA, Because I find after those workouts I am starving like a bear. I just bought this on thursday and hope it will help with wanting raid the refrigerator like a bear.

Reply #3:

Reviews: 40
    Reputation: +1729
    I used to, but my career gets in the way and I just don't have the time needed to properly prepare for a fight. I feel you on the appetite after training. When I used to do two and a half to three hour sessions I would come home and raid the fridge out like crazy. You can get away with it when you are burning 2500 calories in a single workout. This really helps me with night time snacking, but I don't think anything can keep me from gorging right after an MMA session.

Reply #4:
    royalflush32
    royalflush32

Joined: 4/2012
    Reviews: 3
    Reputation: -11
    Optimum nutrition is the only legit brand that i can trust. reasonable prices and high quality protein, its not like some other brands like muscle tech where all there supplements are a bunch of BS

Reply #5:
    luisd89
    luisd89

Joined: 7/2012
    Reviews: 0
    Reputation: 0
    u could consider casein as a meal replacement at night and replace dinner?

April 16, 2010

CamelE

Reviews: 27

Age: 19

April 16, 2010
     I really cannot say enough about this. It has become my favorite protein by one of my favorite brands. When I was looking for a slow-digesting protein, I knew where to look.

I first started taking this to use before bed to keep me anabolic. I was using Blueberries & Cream. It was a bit sandy and grainy textured, but it was thick and tasted great. After I finished the tub, I actually didn't buy again for a few months.

Next, I bought the big 4lb tub in chocolate peanut butter, and WOW. I find this tastes better than Optimum's regular 100% Whey. It definitely is much thicker. Doesn't taste like you are drinking "chocolate water". Some people don't like it and say it's like "slime", but I actually enjoy it. Almost like a Reese's PB Cup, but not as good as Syntha-6's. You could always add more/less water or milk to adjust how thick it is.

One of my favorite things to do with this is get a bowl and throw in 1 scoop and then 1 table spoon of natural peanut butter. Then I slowly add milk and stir it, trying to get all the powder mixed up with as little liquid as possible. And the result is this über-thick pudding that tastes like Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream, I kid you not.

I haven't cheated once in my diet since I've used this (not even a cheat meal) and I don't feel obligated to.

I'm on the go and busy a lot, so more often than not I need something when I'm going longer than 3 hours without food. And this stuff works perfectly.

I've gone through several tubs of the chocolate peanut butter and I can't get enough of it. If you are looking to add a slow-digesting protein either before bed or to keep you full during the day for a few more hours, this stuff is awesome. Two thumbs up!
    Pros:
    Cons:
    • Makes Ice Cream!
    • Amazing Taste
    March 4, 2010

joeflah13

Reviews: 52

Age: 17

March 4, 2010
     I bought this a LONG time ago when I first started working out. I bought the Vanilla flavor, which was a HUGE mistake! I really hope that the chocolate and other flavors taste better because the Vanilla was GOD AWFUL. I know supplements aren't supposed to be taken for the taste, and I powered through the entire tub nonetheless, but this product was the only one I had ever contemplated taking back due to the taste. Other than that, I take absolutely no problems with this supplement. It has a great profile as do all of the Optimum Proteins: 5 g BCAA, 5 g gluatmine and precursors, and the casein lasts for up to 8 hours. Can't argue with that. I origionally took 1 scoop with 1 scoop whey postworkout, but then I caught wind of the benefits of taking it before bed. I liked the added recovery in both instances, and taking it with the whey actually helped out the flavor a bit. The days I took it prior to bed, I felt much more "refreshed" the following morning and much less sore in the muscle group I worked the day before. I also really like the versatility of this product. Not only could it be used pre bed and postworkout, it can be taken whether on a bulk or a cut because of it's low calories/fat/carbs. I really like how 1 tub lasts about a month (four weeks straight @ 1 a day) and it's very competetively priced. As usual, not many quams with an Optimum product. Thumbs up, keep it goin! Just make sure to take the CHOCOLATE flavor, you'll save yourself some misery!
    Pros:
    Cons:
    • Less Soreness Upon Waking
    • Helped Recovery
    • Awful Taste
    March 2, 2010

birdman2211

Reviews: 38

Age: 31

March 2, 2010
     After finishing my second 4lb jug I thought it was time for a review. This has become my favorite Optimum Protein. Just like all other Optimum Proteins it has a great amino acid profile. 1 scoop contains 5g of BCAA's and 5g of glutamine. Whats amazing, is that the total release of amino acids can last up to 7-8 hours making it extremely valuable for bed time.
    -Taste 9/10: Being casein its the best I'v had. 6oz of water gave it a nice rich chocolate taste.
    -Mixability 9/10: I like the thicker texture it makes you feel fuller.
    -Effectiveness 10/10: Definitely helped aid with recovery and new muscle growth.
    With only 2 net carbs its perfect for running a low-carb diet or a healthy night time snack. This is by far the best casein Protein availible(IMO). Optimum just continues to impress me!
      November 28, 2009

Raptorbh12

Reviews: 62

Age: 24

November 28, 2009
       I have just finished off one tub of the chocolate peanut butter casein protein. One thing I noticed first off was how thick the shake was once it was all mixed. Casein shakes are at least twice as thick as traditional whey proteins.
      I did like the feeling of having a light low carb casein protein right before bed and I noticed better recovery time when I would use this protein pre-bedtime.
      The price is a little more than whey but its superior to alternative casein choices such as cottage cheese, milk, etc...
      This casein protein is a step above the rest because of the time spent on development and Optimum Nutritions attention to detail and fine tuning in the taste and texture departments.
      I cant wait to try some more flavors and appreciate any feedback for recommendations.
      Pros:
      Cons:
      • Tastes Great Compared To Other Caseins
      April 14, 2014

Reviews: 18

Age: 26

April 14, 2014
      Hated the taste, but might give it another whirl.

I bought this from a GNC while purchasing other powders, having never tried ON casein in the past, and decided to give it a try. The kid at the store had told me for that particular flavor (Cookies and Cream) he liked it by itself in milk at night.

Effectiveness: I'd rank it a 7/10, as it tended to give me night-time satisfaction, not leaving my hungry, and helped me meet my daily protein macro needs. It also did not give me much, if any GI issues. Never cramped or any issues with digestion. For 'soreness' I can't say it helped any, but cannot say that on days that I did not take it, I was any more sore from that previous day's workout.

Taste/mixability: 6/10 This was my biggest problem with this product. It was REALLY thick, even with water and somewhat chalky in texture. I also must really dislike cookies and cream, as I found the flavor unpleasant. I had to mix it in water first before adding any milk/almond milk. After trying to add it in a blendar a few times to change the flavor (unsuccessfully) I chose to just use water and force it down. I guess it it because this is a mix of micellar and calcium caseinate causing such thickness but I am not sure?

Price: 7/10 Not the cheepest in terms of casein, but not terribly expensive. I'd probably pick another product before this one if it is less $$. I got it for about $33 for 2 lbs.

Overall: 7/10 Would I use it again? Absolutely not this flavor, but I might give a plain vanilla or chocolate a try. I don't LOVE seeing some of these ingredients on the label: Artificial Flavors, Creamer (Sunflower Oil, Maltodextrin, modified Food Starch, Dipotassium Phosphate, Tricalcium Phosphate, Tocopherols).
      Pros:
      Cons:
      • Not Hungry Upon Waking!
      • Helps Prevent Hunger During Sleep
      • Mixability Issues
      • A Little Thick When Mixed
      • Disliked Flavor

Reviews: 4
      Reputation: +267
      For taste/mixability issues, and having tried this myself in the past... I would recommend you try Nutrabio's Micellar Casein (Strawberry or Chocolate, NOT Vanilla).

Good review as usual Samazon

Joined: 5/2010
      Reviews: 18
      Reputation: +313
      Thanks Rodrigo- I will put it on my list of supps to try. finding a good casein, that I don't mind the taste/mixing an issue has been a challenge.

December 21, 2013

Age: 46

December 21, 2013
      Mediocre taste—but no protein farts!

Understanding there’s no shortage of reviews for Optimum Nutrition’s Gold Standard 100% Casein, I nevertheless feel compelled to do a review as this has been a staple of mine for a while. If you don’t understand the reasoning behind having casein in your daily arsenal, it basically boils down to having slow-release protein to heal and feed your muscles over an extended period of time, particularly overnight when your body isn’t getting any other sustenance.

I was initially drawn to ON’s 100% Casein because I’d suffered through a few tubs of cheap, gut-wrenching protein (I’m looking at you, MuscleTech) and wanted to step up in quality. ON is one of the most trusted brands on the market, so the choice was easy.

Profile: 8

Other’s have listed the profile in some depth, so I’ll just focus on the highlights. 24g protein per serving, with only 1g fat and 3g carbs (and 1g sugar). One downside is the use of high fructose corn syrup, definitely a point deduction in my book.

Taste: 5

I’ve tried two flavors: Cookies & Cream and Chocolate Cake Batter. Frankly, neither is that great. I actually add a couple of scoops of Quik to the Cookies & Cream in order to make it a more enjoyable evening drink. The Chocolate Cake Batter isn’t much better.

Mixability: 10

No clumping or problems whatsoever.

Effectiveness: 9

Protein is a pretty passive supplement, and by that I mean you can’t really feel its effect. But you can’t argue with the cumulative effect of those 24g of protein over the course of the night in terms of healing the body and building muscle. Still, I feel compelled to deduct a point because I have other proteins that give me upwards of 29 or 30g per serving. 24g isn’t bad, though.

Value: 6

Usually, a 4lb tub retails for around $53. That’s too high in my book, but I’m pretty savvy with keeping an eye out for deals. Frankly, I know there are GNC haters out there, but this is a fairly regular red tag item for them. So, I generally end up paying closer to $40-45.

Overall: 7

I stick with ON Casein because it’s a trusted brand and, well, doesn’t wreck my stomach. Could it be better? Yeah. I’d love to see them come somewhere even remotely close to RCSS protein flavors (or for that matter, I’d love to see RCSS make a casein!). And I’d like to see them ditch the high fructose corn syrup. Otherwise, a pretty solid product.

Pros:
      Cons:
      • Helped Recovery
      • Less Soreness Upon Waking
      • Digests Well
      • Mixes Well
      • A Little Pricey
      • Not The Best-tasting Protein

Reviews: 4
      Reputation: +267
      If you are set on casein, you could try Nutrabio's. I find it's better tasting and better quality than ON.

Joined: 2/2013
      Reputation: +255
      Thanks for the tip, Rodrigo. I'll give it a shot!

Reply #3:

Gkeezy

Joined: 3/2011
      Reviews: 81
      Reputation: +1135
      Sorry fat finger will rep another one

Reply #5:

Joined: 2/2013
      Reputation: +255
      Lol. Curse you, fat fingerrrrr!!!

October 31, 2013

coolaaron

Reviews: 5

Age: 21

October 31, 2013
      Is casein really needed.

So I got this product in a way to further my gainzzzz. I kind of bought into the whole grow over night thing and went out and bought Optimum Nutrition casein because I have used ON products before and liked them.

The flavour I bought was Vanilla and when I opened the tub the vanilla smell hit me immediately. Later that night about 1 hour before i went to bed I tried this product for the first time. This is what I found/thought after that night and after the tub (and subsequently a second one) was finished:

Taste/Texture: 5/10
      The Vanilla took time to adjust to especially being used to the texture and taste of whey protein, the casein was completely different and not a nice different. The vanilla did in fairness taste like vanilla but the texture just wasnt for me. It was extremely thick and that was with water (I can only imagine what its like with milk) and I know you're probably saying "just add more water" but I did this and there is only so much water you can add before its just too much to drink in a short period of time. Due to its thickness I felt uncomfortable in bed because it really filed me up. I did taste a tub of the banana flavour and it wasnt as thick but tasted like a sweet bubble gum banana which was kind of nice if on a strict diet.

Mixability: 8/10
      The mixability of this product was pretty good but took more of an aggressive shake to get it to mix fully as compared to ON whey. Once mixed and drank there was no bits left which points to consistent mix. I did find sometimes that there was a lot of foam left at the bottom of my shaker and on the mixing element/strainer but not all of the time.

Ingredient Profile: 9/10
      What I did like about this product was the fact that it had a great amino blend. It contains 5 grams of BCAA's and 5 grams of glutamine which does help with recovery. Each scoop also contains 24 grams of protein with low amounts of carbs and fat. This helps get that last bit of protein in at the end of the day.

This is what disappointed me about this product, I didnt see much improvement after a continued spell of use. I was hoping it would really help me but I dont really think it did much for me in terms of building more muscle. I must admit though that I felt it did help, when cutting, with recovery but that i guess would be due to the glutamine and not the entire casein product itself.

I didnt find the value of this to be great. A 1.8kg (4Lbs) cost me the same amount as a 2.2kg (5Lbs) tub of whey. The only thing I liked about the product was that it conained glutamine but you can buy glutamine separately way cheaper than mixed in casein.

Overall: 6/10 (All this is in MY opinion)
      I dont think this product is really needed if you can hit all your macro goals through out the day. I'm not sure the whole growing over night thing really makes that much of a difference to your overall progress. As long as at the end of the day you have eaten everything you need to eat and all your macro goals have been hit then I dont see much need for this product. However If you need this to achieve your macro goals then by all means use it but I personally wont be using it again.

Pros:
      Cons:
      • Less Soreness Upon Waking
      • Helped Recovery
      • Awful Taste
      • Need A Blender To Mix Properly
      • Probably Not A Staple Supplement
      • A Little Thick When Mixed
      • Didnt Help Any
      September 4, 2013

benhur32

Reviews: 2

Age: 22

September 4, 2013
      Optimum 100 % Casein Review

Discovered SR through some lifting friends. Been a member for a while, this is my first post.

I have been using Optimum's 100% Casein Protein for over 6 months.

During these six months my goal was to increase strength in my lifts especially my max. I was encouraged to start taking this protein before I went to bed to help feed my muscles while I was sleeping.

I went with heavy weight and light reps.

I used both Dutch Chocolate and Chocolate Peanut Butter. Both flavors were really good. I enjoyed the Dutch Chocolate more because it was more smooth than the Chocolate Peanut Better which tended to be more thick (I drank both with water).

I could really tell a difference with being on the casein protein. I would wake up not as hungry in the mornings.
      Over the six months I gained only a 5 pounds going from 193-198 pounds and my maxes increased greatly. My bench went from 285 to 345 in 6 months while only gaining 5 pounds!! I have been lifting for about 4 years so it wasn't a newbie coming into making strides. I had plateaued around 285 in bench for a while.

The only real con was with drinking it before bed I usually had to get up at night to urinate but this was also likely due to drinking a lot of water throughout the day to stay hydrated.

I am not saying that the gains were totally due to this casein protein but I do know that it definitely helped.

I will definitely continue this product: it tastes great and it gives results.

I recommend this product highly and to all my friends at the gym!
      • Great All Around
      • Have To Pee A Lot

Have you used 100% Casein Protein? Submit your own Review!