Whey Protein Isolate

By NOW
Whey Protein Isolate NOW
7.8/10
(Weighted average based on 8 Reviews)

Ranks #42 of 111 (better than 63%)
in Protein > Whey Protein
Dashboard Reviews Discussion Related Prices

iandriscoll's Whey Protein Isolate Review

I've been using this whey protein isolate product for about 2 months. It is a solid product, often overlooked, that is due for a review.

I'm a simple guy and simple supplements are attractive to me. It is made up of whey protein isolate and less than 1% soy lecithin. Not to mention inexpensive. Personally, I like to know exactly what is going into my body and not taking the risk of ingesting something I have no clue about hiding behind a "proprietary blend." 1 scoop (28 grams) consists of 105 calories, 0.3 grams fat, 4mg cholesterol, 1 gram of sugar, 25 grams of protein, 125mg of calcium, 70 mg of phosphorus, 22mg of magnesium, 40 mg sodium, and 168 mg potassium. Along with the extensive list of amino acids I'm not going to type. I give the ingredient profile an A. No nonsense and effective.

Other whey protein supplements that I have used in the past have been muscle milk and Optimum nutrition's 100% whey. While both of these are solid supplements I believe NOW's whey protein isolate is just as good of a product without all the fillers. And the taste was tolerable. Essentially tasteless in coffee or milk but a slight bitterness in water. Compared to ON's 100% whey protein it is virtually tasteless. I like the taste of muscle milk more.

My diet was consistent while on this product. I am not going to bore you with my diet. I was training for a show and transitioning into high volume training (be sure to check out my log under the "supplement journals" section if you are interested in my training). This product could have a place in all my training.

I like this product because if I wanted to I could strategically use this product with other products such as concentrates, hydrolosates, etc. But I am not going to get that fancy with it just yet.

If anything, this product has helped me preserve muscle mass with proper sleep and real food. I had 10 or 15 grams a day in the morning and 20-30 grams after training sessions. It has worked just as well as other whey proteins on the market. It is a great value. I did not feel like it made a huge impact in my ability to recover faster because, again, recovery comes from sleep and real food.. this bears repeating. The mixing was okay, tolerable for me but a few "floaties" at the top, and I used a spoon, not a blender.

I lost around 15 pounds while using this product, it helped supplement my lifestyle in order for me to achieve the weight loss. It's just protein so no side effects.

I will use this product again. Affordable and effective.

Pros:
Cons:
  • Muscle Preservation

Great stuff.

Great stuff. I get the unflavored and add it to my own home made shakes for extra protein. Using it for about 2 years now and would def recommend.

jdp1015's Whey Protein Isolate Review

I have used the unflavored,chocolate,vanilla and toffee caramel fudge.

Vanilla is gross. I prefer to chug the unflavored before drinking the vanilla. The choco and toffee are great. I like using now because it is a natural flavoured and no artifical anything. Mixes and digests well.
      I have used the unflavored,chocolate,vanilla and toffee caramel fudge.

I have also done Nectar,ON and Isopure natural proteins as well.

Posted November 16, 2011
      I want to try this product based on the ingredients. I'm glad you mentioned that the unflavored version is not too bad, although taste is a luxury not an effective component.

I'd like to post the ingredients, just in case we have some non-believers:
      5 Lbs. Natural Unflavored
      Magnesium 22mg 6%
      * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
      + Daily Value not established
      Ingredients:
      Microfiltered Whey Protein Isolate(Milk)(Providing B-Lactoglobulin, A-Lactalbumin, Immunoglobulins And Glycomacropeptides) And Soy Lecithin (<1%).
      Contains No Sugar, Salt, Starch, Yeast, Wheat, Gluten, Corn, Egg Or Preservatives.

Killercox's Whey Protein Isolate Review

This has been my protein of choice for the past two years. I get other proteins every now and then just to change it up but always come back to this one.

OVER ALL 10 This stuff mixes so easy I just dump two scoops in water before a work out and after a work out and its very easy on the belly never makes me feel full or bloated. I know this helps me recover after a killer work out.

Taste 9 Very easy to swallow. I enjoy the dutch chocolet the best.

Value 10 BodyBuilding.com has a 10lb bag for $60 can't beat that!

I recommend this protein to every one.

Pros:
      Cons:
      • Recovery
      • Easy To Mix

Now Whey Protein Isolate Mega Pack

This has been my go to whey powder for the last couple of years. Best value on the market for a whey isolate IMO. NOW is a solid company that won't wow you with fancy packaging or 5 page advertisements in the magazines, but they deliver quality products at a very affordable price.

This...

This is a microfiltered whey isolate in a 10 lb. bag and can be purchased for about $95 on most online sites. That's approximately 160 servings per bag of a powder that yields 89% protein by volume. I've used both the unflavored and vanilla flavored powders and found the quality to be top notch. You get slightly more servings with the unflavored powder and it has a very neutral flavor. Excellent for smoothies and baking. The vanilla is, well, vanilla. Not very sweet so if you like a sweeter tasting powder you may want to add a few packets of Stevia or whatever sweetener you prefer.

If you are a heavy user of whey protein and/or on a tight budget, I would highly recommend checking out the Now Whey Isolate Mega Pack.

• Muscle Preservation

It's not terrible, but hey, you get what you paid for

I took this product for a change from Optimum Nutrition's Gold Standard Whey. I can say it mixes well and it is effective. I took this while also taking Serious Mass (weight gainer) after workouts to add up my protein intake. With the help of serious mass, I put on 10 pounds in a relatively short amount of time. Isolate is a more pure protein and I feel like it works just as good as Gold Standard's whey even though they're different proteins. I got 5 pounds for 60 bucks off Amazon and that's not much more than Gold Standard, but if I had a choice, I'd buy Gold Standard over this. It is a nice change even though I got the unflavored version. It's not terrible, but hey, you get what you paid for. (15 less bucks if you buy it unflavored) . Give it a try!

jeepster's Whey Protein Isolate Review

Now's Whey Protein Isolate is a very good whey supplement. I just bought my second tub of the natural unflavored and I mix it with about two cups of chocolate milk (for a total of 41 grams of protein). You literally can't even taste it. I've become such a fan of Now Sports that I bought their Creatine Mono and I love it too. It mixes pretty well, for the most part, can be bought for good prices. I drink two per day, once in the morning and once before I go to bed. Great stuff.

sinc86

sinc86's Whey Protein Isolate Review

So I have been using NOW Whey Isolate protein for about 2 1/2 yrs now and overall it is a "decent" product. The main reason why I like it so much is because I can get a 10lb bag of it for right around $55. It is a good tasting protein shake and its mixability is also a plus. However, I just didn't feel like I was getting sufficient "fill/nutrients/quality" with this product. IDK if it's just because of the price that makes me think this stuff isn't as good as Optimum Nutrition or what, but I just felt like this stuff was missing something... idk I'm prob just weird, but that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. lol

Pros:
            Cons:
            • Afforadable
            • Mixable

Posted September 6, 2011
              Where did you find this for $10? Thank you.

Posted September 6, 2011
              I meant where did you find it for $55? Sorry.

sinc86

Posted September 6, 2011
              allstarhealth.com, but this review is 3 1/2 years old. Inflation my friend. You won't find the 10lbs bag for under $85-$100 now.