Whey Protein Isolate Reviews

Overall Score   How is this Calculated?

Ranks #62 of 94 (better than 34%) in
Protein > Whey Protein

Whey Protein Isolate is a Whey Protein Powder manufactured by NOW. It is a dairy based protein that supports lean muscle gain by suppling additional protein to recovering muscles, which can also improve fat loss.

Rep: -7
  January 26, 2014

This has been my go to whey powder for the last couple of years. Best value on the market for a whey isolate IMO. NOW is a solid company that won't wow you with fancy packaging or 5 page advertisements in the magazines, but they deliver quality products at a very affordable price.

This is a microfiltered whey isolate in a 10 lb. bag and can be purchased for about $95 on most online sites. That's approximately 160 servings per bag of a powder that yields 89% protein by volume. I've used both the unflavored and vanilla flavored powders and found the quality to be top notch. You get slightly more servings with the unflavored powder and it has a very neutral flavor. Excellent for smoothies and baking. The vanilla is, well, vanilla. Not very sweet so if you like a sweeter tasting powder you may want to add a few packets of Stevia or whatever sweetener you prefer.

If you are a heavy user of whey protein and/or on a tight budget, I would highly recommend checking out the Now Whey Isolate Mega Pack.
  • Recovery
  • Easy To Mix
  • Afforadable
  • Mixable
  • Muscle Preservation
      December 6, 2012

I've been using this whey protein isolate product for about 2 months. It is a solid product, often overlooked, that is due for a review.

I'm a simple guy and simple supplements are attractive to me. It is made up of whey protein isolate and less than 1% soy lecithin. Not to mention inexpensive. Personally, I like to know exactly what is going into my body and not taking the risk of ingesting something I have no clue about hiding behind a "proprietary blend." 1 scoop (28 grams) consists of 105 calories, 0.3 grams fat, 4mg cholesterol, 1 gram of sugar, 25 grams of protein, 125mg of calcium, 70 mg of phosphorus, 22mg of magnesium, 40 mg sodium, and 168 mg potassium. Along with the extensive list of amino acids I'm not going to type. I give the ingredient profile an A. No nonsense and effective.

Other whey protein supplements that I have used in the past have been muscle milk and Optimum nutrition's 100% whey. While both of these are solid supplements I believe NOW's whey protein isolate is just as good of a product without all the fillers. And the taste was tolerable. Essentially tasteless in coffee or milk but a slight bitterness in water. Compared to ON's 100% whey protein it is virtually tasteless. I like the taste of muscle milk more.

My diet was consistent while on this product. I am not going to bore you with my diet. I was training for a show and transitioning into high volume training (be sure to check out my log under the "supplement journals" section if you are interested in my training). This product could have a place in all my training.

I like this product because if I wanted to I could strategically use this product with other products such as concentrates, hydrolosates, etc. But I am not going to get that fancy with it just yet.

If anything, this product has helped me preserve muscle mass with proper sleep and real food. I had 10 or 15 grams a day in the morning and 20-30 grams after training sessions. It has worked just as well as other whey proteins on the market. It is a great value. I did not feel like it made a huge impact in my ability to recover faster because, again, recovery comes from sleep and real food.. this bears repeating. The mixing was okay, tolerable for me but a few "floaties" at the top, and I used a spoon, not a blender.

I lost around 15 pounds while using this product, it helped supplement my lifestyle in order for me to achieve the weight loss. It's just protein so no side effects.

I will use this product again. Affordable and effective.
    • Recovery
    • Afforadable
    • Muscle Preservation

Copyright © 2015 All rights reserved. All trademarks are property of their respective owners.