Carbo Gain Reviews

Overall Score   How is this Calculated?

Ranks #9 of 23 (better than 64%) in
Protein > Weight Gainers

Carbo Gain is a Weight Gainer manufactured by NOW. It is a protein based supplement that has additional calories from carbohydrates and fats. It is meant to add additional calories for the body in order to assist with weight and muscle mass gain.

September 12, 2014

This is yet another product I've taken in the past but have yet to sit down and review. I went through an 8lb. tub of this during a bulk in winter 2012-2013 and I believe it helped me immensely. Proper nutrient absorption post-workout is crucial in recovery, as well as size and strength gains. This will help you get that high insulin response you need, albeit with predictable side effects if you're not careful.

Serving Size: 1/2 Cup
Total Carbohydrate 47 g
Sugars 2 g

This is pure, 100% maltodextrin from corn. Now, if you read up on the nature of maltodextrin, you might get a bit confused. It offers a sort of "best of both worlds" impact as it pertains to training, compared to other carb sources. This is not an "anytime" sort of carb supplement, which is the way I often treated it and I paid for it. Corn maltodextrin offers not only a high, but also an extended insulin response because of the rate of digestion and absorption.

Therefore, as the manufacturer recommends, it is best consumed around training time to replenish muscle glycogen and aid in absorption of key nutrients that many of us consume before, during, and after training (protein, BCAAs, creatine, EAAs, etc.)

The product is called Carbo Gain, and it will help you gain, by way of carbs. Simple and straightforward.

I do believe this aided greatly in my goals to gain size and strength. Timed properly, it can have a profound impact on endurance and nutrient absorption. As is the case with many carbs, however, you may experience some unwanted side effects.

The insulin response will lead to cortisol production. You will get hungrier than usual, and often for unhealthy foods. You will gain some excess body fat. It would be a good idea to plan your supplementation around these inevitable scenarios, perhaps with a test-booster/AI stack, and make sure you have a good, whole food post-workout meal planned. Otherwise you'll reach for whatever is available like I did.

Bottom line -- if you want to gain weight, this will help. Just be smarter than I was. If you need to get more carbs to hit your macros, don't let this be your anytime carb supplement. A complex, slow-digesting, low-GI source like oat powder would be a much better means to that end. This should be consumed strictly around training times, and it is much more convenient than eating a whole bunch of white bread or pasta.

There isn't much taste to this. It's a faint doughy kind of taste, which is easily overshadowed by any other flavored supps you might mix it with, such as protein. It does get old fast, however, and "enjoyable" is way down the list of adjectives I'd use.

Mixability is the bigger issue. As soon as you throw this stuff into water, it forms large, dense clumps that sink and/or stick to the sides, bottom, or ball in your blender bottle. If you want your shake fast, you'll have to put up with these gooey masses of flubber, and you might actually need to refill a bit to get it all off the bottom, which can cause serious water bloat. Otherwise, you're waiting at least 10-15 minutes for full solubility.

I should also note that this is a very fine powder that WILL explode into your face and make a big mess if you aren't careful. Scoop with caution.

I ordered an 8 lb. tub of this from Nutraplanet, and though I don't recall what I paid at the time, it's currently available for $20.99 which sounds about right. This is from NOW Foods, a reputable manufacturer, and it's much cheaper than many bulk quantities you'll find elsewhere. Also, if you're smart about your intake, a tub this size can last you a very, VERY long time. Even with my reckless abandon, it took me a good couple of months to work my way through it.

If you think about it, it's easy to drop twice this price on a night out to dinner. This is a small price to pay for something that aids greatly in endurance, recovery, and nutrient absorption.

It's hard to knock a product that does what it should, and is very simple and straightforward. Some very minor misgivings keep me from giving Carbo Gain a solid A. If you're looking to pack on size and strength, especially if you have a hard time gaining weight, you should seriously consider this stuff.

Thanks for reading!
  • Size And Strength Gains
  • Endurance
  • Recovery
  • Value
  • Fat Gain Difficult To Avoid
  • Mixes Poorly
  February 15, 2011

I am the pickiest eater in the world so it is very hard for me to gain any weight. I am also very athletic (soccer and ice hockey) so i am constantly buring calories. I turned to Carbo Gain hoping to gain atleast a few pounds off of it and i was very pleased.
Before i started taking it i weighed about 140 give or take and after 1 8lb tub i weighed 145. That doesnt sound like a lot but it only takes like 3 weeks or so to go through that and i wasnt following the instructions perfectly. It calls for three shakes/day and i only took one or two because i was a lot of liquids to have in my stomach at once. I would be willing to bet that if i followed the directions the gains would have been even better.
Keep in mind that the gains arent going to come in muscle form! But if you are a hard gainer or have a smaller build then this product is perfect because you cant just build muscle out of air. You need something to start with that you turn into muscle. (calories, carbs, some sort of fat) so this will add that to your body and you can work on turning that into serious muscle later. I am currently on my second tub and this time i went with the 12lb tub so it would last longer. All in all this is a great product and i would highly recomend it.
  • Great For Adding Calories
  • No Taste
  • Effective
  • Cheap
      August 9, 2010

Great way to add some complex carbs and quality calories into your protein shake or meal replacement. Its great to use if you want to make your own mass gainer or just for some extra energy throughout the day. Its a staple in my mass gaining supplement line, and its pretty cheap,so it can be used by anyone on just about any budget. I noticed a decrease in recovery time while using Carbo Gain as well. So if you dont feel like spending a lot of money on a mass gainer, just get a good protein and Carbo Gain,and add a banana and peanut butter and mabey some casein powder and your good to go.
    • Great For Adding Calories
        March 22, 2010

This is definitely a great supplement, and it mixes with water quite easily, It helps me maintain my weight especially after an intense hockey game. My only complaints are that this stuff is extremely messy I opened the package, and next thing I knew the powder was all over the place. I have a metabolism that is so high that its in the stratosphere so my weight fluctuates with this product, but it has helped me gain about five pounds however if I play hockey or do hiit
      all the weight I gained seems to go away but it comes right back when I take a couple doses.

Copyright © 2015 All rights reserved. All trademarks are property of their respective owners.