AfterShock Recovery

By: Myogenix

Myogenix Aftershock is one product that has been on my list of supplements to review for quite some time now. I've used it numerous times with great results, and I must say this review is long overdue.

**Taste/Texture: 9.1/10**

**Taste/Texture: 9.1/10**
This is the area that I hear the most complaints about for this product. While it might not be the best tasting product on the market, I have to say I'm very impressed with the taste considering the ingredients that are used in this product. Hydrolyzed whey, creatine, glucosamine and straight up BCAA's aren't easy flavors to mask, and taking that into consideration, this product is pretty impressive. My personal favorite is the fruit punch, but the others I've tried including the Wild Berry having a semisweet mixed berry flavor or the Orange that reminds me of under-sweet Tang won't leave you dissapointed.

**Mixability/Texture: 8.9/10**
This is an area that draws a lot of complaints, but considering the components, a little foaminess after mixing is to be expected (just let it sit a minute or two and this eliminates the problem). No complaints from me when it comes to mixing as the product mixes pretty easily in a shaker and I rarely experience clumps. You might be taken aback somewhat when you first try this with a texture that's slightly chalky, but trust me, it grows on you.

**Ingredient Profile: 9.7/10**
Very pleased overall when it comes to the nutrition profile and that is one reason I keep using it. First off, I am pleased that they chose to go with a blend of partially hydrolyzed whey isolate, and whey isolate. I also was pleased with their choice of carbohydrates using long chain polysaccharides and maltodextrin (yes Maltodextrin is great for post workout), rather than just loading it with fructose. I'm also a big fan of the inclusion of creatine, glutamine and BCAA's. Heck, they even include 1.5g of joint supporting glucosamine and chondroitin and a nice blend of anti-oxidants.

**Effectiveness: 9.5/10**
Regardless of taste or nutritional profile, if a post-workout recovery product doesn't help you...well, recover, it's worthless. This certainly isn't the case with Aftershock. I have used this product on lean bulking, cutting and maintenance and I have yet to be left disappointed. Recovery is phenominal, among the best out of all the recovery products that I've tried.

Value: 8.9/10
This seems to be the only downfall when it comes to this outstanding product. While some will cringe at the price tag, I feel that it is on par with many other post workouts. 15 servings will seem to go pretty fast, but in case you haven't seen it, they now have a 30 serving container that makes it a slightly better value. Regardless, I don't feel the price is unjustified for the outstanding recovery and top of the line ingredients they use.

Overall: 9.5/10
Touting an outstanding nutritional profile, this product is a measuring stick that other post workouts should be measured against. Another thing I really like about this is I feel that with 25g of protein and 30g of carbs, it is set at just the right amount for a recovery formula, regardless of cut or bulk. This is hands down one of the best post workout products on the market today, and I strongly recommend that if you haven't already given this product a try that you consider doing so in the near future.

**35 grams of protein per serving, not 25**

• MikeFarr

Great Review Petey!
      May 8, 2011

Omg a petey review... fapfapfapfap
      May 8, 2011

I'm tired of you and your reviews. When will you just leave the site? Noone here likes you.
      May 8, 2011

$20 this review breaks 50 reps.
      May 9, 2011

Cray you said that on one of his old ones and it got like 22. Shut up.
      May 9, 2011

Nvm, that was bigworm. He said 40+ and it got 17...Easy to get you two chicks confused on here.
    • ShyamPopat

^Oh snap!
    • BrooklynBuff
      May 9, 2011

How would you compare this to darkmatter?++
    • kubitzky10
      May 9, 2011

Are post-workouts good for trying to gain strength?
    • madhungry
      May 9, 2011

Superb review dawg. in depth analysis
      May 10, 2011

@Brooklyn: I am admittedly not the biggest fan of Dark Matter. That aside, yes, I would still choose this over it any day of the week. It has a superior nutritional profile and effectiveness.

@Kubitzky: Absolutely! It has the protein for muscle repair and building, the vitally important post workout carbs to replenish your glycogen stores and creatine which is one of the best products for increasing muscular power and strength.

• steelforce
      May 10, 2011

Nice review reads like a good book just can put it down.
    • BrooklynBuff
      May 10, 2011

Thanks bro,I'm amped to try this if its better than dark matter,its got to be serious

This review is MONEY!

2nd best pre-workout on the market, next to 2:1:1
    • IRISH89

Top review.
    • Beinamonster
      May 10, 2011

Nice reveiw!! Goin to give it a try
    • joe651dzd
      May 11, 2011

Petey, besides for energy; what are so great about carbs????
    • BalkanBoy
      (-2)
      May 11, 2011

Really good review i was wondering if im using ON gold standard whey protein post workout would it be better to replace that with this stuff i mean i know i need some carbs post workout but im tryin to lean bulk ?
      May 11, 2011

You'll definitely want to add in post workout carbs if you decide to stick with Gold Standard Whey.

As for Aftershock, yes, it's an outstanding product for post workout on a lean bulk, bulk, maintenance, or even a cut if your macros allow.

• danyo
      May 11, 2011

This product sounds amazing, nice review. seems like a good thing to take when cycling off kre-alkalyn ~
      May 11, 2011

If you're cycling of of Kre-Alkalyn, you need to avoid this and any other creatine containing product.

Instead, consider a product such as 2:1:1 Recovery or you could even make your own.

• danyo
      May 11, 2011

Lol, you're absolutely right, that just defeats the purpose of cycling off... my badness (x
    • Gattzu
      May 12, 2011

Great review man. I have just recently gone through my first tub of this stuff, I made the mistake of getting mixed berry, which reminded me the taste of Flintstones vitamins as a kid haha. But I have seen more mass gain, and I LOVE how packed it is. I like the joint perk because I have broken and dislocated my shoulder several times. I just got another tub of orange avalanche, taste like a dreamcicle haha I love it.
    • taklo4life
      (-1)
      May 12, 2011

Yo. is it okey to take this post workout with pre-workouts with creatine ? wouldn't it be to much for the body?
    • coldhonkey
      (-5)
      July 30, 2014

I just ordered this and anticipating it's arrival. Stellar review. I'm impressed with this site.

I am finally ready to write this review for Aftershock. It has been a long time coming but it's a great product.

This product has a great combination of ingredients for an all-in-one post workout recovery drink. With 8 g of amino acids, 7.25 g of BCAAs, 30g of carbohydrates and 34g of protein, I find this extremely useful for recovery.

Taste: 9/10 I found the Tropical Typhoon flavor very pleasant. It wasn't the best tasting thing I've ever had but it was still really good. I'm more about the effectiveness than the taste but it helps when your supplements taste good as well.

Mixability:7.5/10 The mixing was better than average. However, I did find some clumps at the bottom of my shake when mixed with 16oz of water. Nothing too bad, just not perfect.

Effectiveness: 10/10 This is by far a superior recovery supplement. I had noticeably reduced recovery time and felt great while taking this. Recovering more quickly allowed me to grow faster and continue making gains in strength throughout my workouts.

Value: 7/10 This is probably my biggest problem with this product. It is expensive at ~$30 for 15 servings. I would love to buy it more often but the budget only allows me to get it from time to time.

Overall: 9/10 I would definitely recommend this product to anybody looking for better recovery and something that tastes good too. The only reason it didn't get a full 10 out of 10 is because of the price. Otherwise it's a fantastic product.
     Pros:
     Cons:
    • Fast Recovery
    • Unique Flavor

• jthayer1
        March 25, 2011

Nice review man. I've been wanting to try this for a long time but the price shys me away. I'll have to try it for sure come off season.
        March 25, 2011

I like to use this primarily during off season lifting so that would be a great time to try it.
      • gbganab
        March 25, 2011

What a perfect review for this product! I agree-the value is the only negative part and unless you got lots of $$$ it is really only a supp most of us can buy from time to time. The taste is very unique-but I always found myself craving the typhoon flavor.
        March 25, 2011

Good review! It is very effective! I have to say the I never craved the TT taste. Once I got used to it, I could drink it no problem but overall I thought the taste needed a major overhaul!
        I found that only using two scoops was as effective as three for me. That will help with the value a little.
        March 25, 2011

By the way, thanks to everybody that found this helpful. I hope to continue to bring unbiased, informative reviews about all types of supplements for a long time to come.

I heard about this product from Garlick and used several tubs of this over the spring/summer and after my football workouts

Taste: 9/10 A common complaint was that this product tasted like poo. I even heard the term "sweet poo". But I actually like the taste of this product. I had the Tropical Typhoon flavor and I will admit that at first I did not like its sweet gritty taste, but it grew on me and I looked forward to taking this post workouts

Ingredient profile consists of partially Hydrolyzed Whey Protein Isolate, a decent Antioxidant blend of Vitamins, 8grams of an amino stack which consists of creatine and glutamine, 7grams of BCAA's and 1500mg of MSM and Glucosamine and Chondroitin Sulfate. Their joint complex was an added bonus and paid dividends during football season.

Mixability 5.5/10 This stuff doesn't mix well. Sometimes I can make this and down it w/o a bit of grit at the bottom. But no matter shaken or stirred a majority of time there is a big clump of grit sitting at the bottom of the cup.

Effectiveness 10/10 I've heard this product is good on a lean bulk but I used this on maintenace. I would be silly of me to say that I was never sore after working out and football practice but I will say that this helped my soreness go away faster than any recover product I have ever used. With the Joint complex (along with the cissus I was taking) and the recovery methods of this product I would wake up feeling fresh the next day. I felt as if I had a heads up advantage over the guys during training camp in the summer.

Bodywise I felt this product helped add to my lean muscle gains over the spring. With all the cardio and 100 degree weather it would be impossible for me to put on much size in the summer but I believe this helped me keep my lean muscle gains, while maintaining weight with the profile it has(some have said it would be good on a bulk as it contains 280calories, 10 from fat 30carbs and 15grams of sugar)

Value 8/10 The running price for this now is around $30+ but I got this on sale for 23.99 and bought a couple tubs. 2scoops is a serving size which will last about 15days but I found that goes by too fast. So I used 1-1/2 scoop and reaped the same amazing recovery benefits while squeezing out a couple more days of this product.

Overall 9/10 This product has top of the line ingredients in it. I know with products like Dark Matter and Afterglow out there and the emergence of Hydrobuilder people overlook Aftershock. But its really a great recover product whether for a cut, lean bulk or maintenance.

• MassiveBeast
          January 9, 2012

Excellent review my man. Have you ever tried ON's 2:1:1 Recovery?
        • CamSTL
          January 9, 2012

No I haven't but I know before Hydrobuilder came out that was ON product people compared this against. And thanks man

After finishing two tubs of MHP's Dark Matter, I decided to switch things up for the last month of my bulk cycle and ended up purchasing Myogenix's Aftershock after reading the rave reviews of so many other SR members. I just recently finished a 2.64 lb. tub of the Wild Berry Blast flavor. I added in a dose of powdered Gluta-Lyn to each serving and drank it immediately post workout, 4-5 days a week.

TASTE & MIXABILITY: 7/10
        The taste of the Wild Berry Blast...

TASTE & MIXABILITY: 7/10
        The taste of the Wild Berry Blast flavor was like crushed Flintstones vitamins blended with milk. At first I didn't like the taste at all, but slowly it grew on me. By around week two I was looking forward to having my Aftershock drink after my workouts. Fair warning though – the smell of this flavor is AWFUL. It smells like... well like regurgitated Flintstones vitamins mixed with sour milk. Absolutely disgusting. When I was taking Dark Matter, I would put the powder in a 32 oz. neoprene bottle with a large opening. Unfortunately when I did this the first time with Aftershock, the smell was so bad that I had to plug my nose to get the mixture down. After that experience I switched to using my normal shaker cups with smaller drink openings. I also made sure not to inhale through my nose immediately before taking a sip of the shake. By doing this I was able to avoid any other issues with the smell of the powder.

Aftershock mixes fairly well, but regardless of whether I used a regular shaker cup or blender bottle, there was always a mouthful of grit at the bottom of the cup that didn't blend. It's a little annoying to always have to finish the drink with a swallow of gritty vitamin sand...

EFFECTIVENESS: 9/10
        As my boss says: "I don't care how a product tastes, I care about results." This is spot on for Aftershock. I experienced significant gains in both size and strength while using the product. For example, my dumbbell shoulder press stood at 90 lbs. for 3 reps prior to Aftershock. Last week I got 90 lbs. for 6 easy reps and 100 lbs. for 4 reps. I improved in weight and reps in all my exercises during the four weeks.

I want to preface this by saying that I had (and still have) a lot of room for physical growth. Bodybuilding and weight training is a new passion of mine, and something that I've only been doing seriously for about the past four months. As such, I have a long way to go before I reach the physical levels of some of the other, more senior members of this site.

I will say that with Dark Matter, I felt that my gains were almost entirely lean muscle. It seemed like my gains with Aftershock were greater that those with Dark Matter, but that I also put on a bit of fat in addition to the lean mass. This was especially the case during week three, when I was feeling quite bloated and chubby. By week four however, I was feeling leaner and more muscular than ever before.

As for recovery, again Aftershock delivers. Regardless of how hard I worked any particular muscle group, I always felt rejuvenated 15 minutes after drinking the shake. I never felt any long-lasting soreness or fatigue during my four weeks using this product.

VALUE: 7/10
        This is a tough category because Aftershock is certainly an awesome product. The problem is that a 2.64 lb. tub only contains 15 servings, and at roughly $35 per tub, this equates to a steep per-serving cost of $2.33. The larger tubs of Aftershock (5.82 lbs.) are a bit easier on the wallet and will run you a per-serving cost of $2.00. This cost is very similar to Universal's Torrent, where a 3.28 lb. tub has roughly the same per serving cost (even though you're getting much more product per serving). Conversely, a 2.6 lb. tub of MHP's Dark Matter yields 20 servings and has a $1.75 per-serving cost.

Regardless, a post-workout supplement may not fit into everyone's budget. Certainly there are many protein powders available that, with the addition of a few secondary ingredients, can provide the same shortened recovery periods and increased strength gains for a cheaper price. And in reality, a specific post-workout supplement is certainly not an "essential" product to have on one's shelf.

OVERALL: 8/10
        The gains I made with this product speak for themselves. If you have the monetary means and are looking for to gain lean mass, Aftershock is a great supplement to assist you in your goals.

August 31, 2010

Damn good review broski Cray!
            August 31, 2010

Nice review. I have this shipping to my house now and will start taking this with Kre Alkalyn on Monday. How much Kre Alk or creatine is in Aftershock?

Thanks broski!

Jake - not sure the exact dosage of creatine in the Shock, only that you'll not need to add any extra Kre-Alk. Blade told me so... I asked the same questions when I first bought the product.
            August 31, 2010

Great writeup, . you forgot to mention that it has cissus and other joint stuff in it which can be expensive on its own. also it has 20 grams of protein vs 12 with dark matter which i always felt was too little. the price may be a little more but id say its worth it im going to get it when my dark matters done
            August 31, 2010

Oh and its one g krealkalyn/7.5g glutamine per serving. not sure you would need to add anything else thats a good amount of each
            September 1, 2010

WOW sorry to all i would delete these if i could. my numbers are based on a single serving bottle that came out a while ago i guess the serving size has changed since then
            September 1, 2010

So I was told I didn't have to do my second dose of Kre Alkalyn 1500 PWO because Aftershock has a serving of Kre Alk. Is this true?
            September 1, 2010

The new After-shock has Creatine Chelate now. No more Kre-Alk version. You may still be able to find it in places that don't sell much of it, but i'm sure the majority of it has been wiped out already.
            September 1, 2010

Okay so that means I should be taking my second dose of Kre Alkalyn then.
            September 1, 2010

With After Shock? No. Creatine is creatine my friend. If you are having After Shock post workout and/or having a pre workout supplement containing creatine, Kre Alk doses do not need to be taken at those times. Simply take them upon waking and before bed.
            September 1, 2010

Okay thanks. I was told to just take them in the morning on workout days and thats it if taking Aftershock PWO. Also, I will be taking Jack3d but don't know for how long because of $ and it seems to be on the lower side of priority to me compared to other things.
            September 2, 2010

Yea i have seen several different answers myself, to be honest. But i don't think that would be too much since jack3d contains such a small amount ( i believe less than 1g per scoop ) Deff take the 2 full doses of Kre-Alk on off days tho, if anything.
            September 2, 2010

I can't wait. I've never taken anything but protein and saw some results from only working out for 3 months, took a month off now I'm going back. I will be taking creatine for the first time and am excited to see some results.

Meuth

Well, I've now completed at least 8 tubs of this so it's time I do a review. I had both the old formula and the new.

The taste of Tropical Typhoon is not that great. The first couple of times you try it, it will be tough to get down. After that, you will get used to it.

It does not mix well. I don't think I ever had three scoops mix completely on the first shake. I always had to add more water to get the leftover large clump.

The bottom line on this stuff is that it works! It is great for building muscle and recovery. I can tell a huge difference on the amount of soreness when I'm using it and when I'm not. I always use this during my bulking phases.

The taste is tolerable and the mixing problem is easy to deal with. I suggest this is something you try if you are looking for a post workout protein. I have not tried 2:1:1 or Torrent so I can not compare them, but they are also highly recommended if you are curious.

As a side note, I actually reduced my serving to two scoops to save money and mix better. It still works just fine for me!

Very unbiased review Meuth. Awesome
              February 7, 2011

Thanks BDub! I like the product but don't want people to have false expectations. I have got tubs for a few of my friends but I warn them before I do. They still get upset about the taste at first but they always want more after they get used to it and see how well it works!
              February 7, 2011

One other side note: if you drink it and leave the container in you car, expect it to reek of decomposing septic muck when you go to wash it! The smell will make you cringe! Rinse with water soon after drinking!!
              February 7, 2011

The berry blast tastes like rancid flintstones vitamins and sour milk. Awful.

Good results though, I agree. Nice review big M.
              February 7, 2011

Good advice Meuth. Its about like the time i left a shaker cup that had muscle marinade in my truck for a couple of days last summer. It smelled like a midget died in my back seat.
            • kevO

Good review Meuth.
              Worm, you sure it wasnt that dwarf chick you picked up at the carnival last summer??
              February 8, 2011

She was wild, i didnt even notice the clown make-up.
            • swazz
              February 8, 2011

Does the body of a dead midget smell differently from that of a normal sized hookers body that you are surely used to being around? lol
            • Adonislike
              February 8, 2011

"like rancid flintstones vitamins and sour milk"
              HAHA!! Nice Cray, nice. Thank goodness there's Afterglow. Tastes like watermelon jolly ranchers :-D
            • lou76
              (-2)

Have you tried AfterGlow? I think works just as well
            • Gattzu
              February 8, 2011

Great analysis. Awesome review.
            • daniel123m
              February 9, 2011

Would you recommend me this product more then the cellucor bcaa. Witch one are better.
              February 9, 2011

This was one of my old reviews that was less detailed and more to the point. haha

The products you are questioning serve two different purposes. The BCAA is more of a pre/intra drink without protein. This is for post to give you the carbs you need and the protein to recover. It depends on what you are looking for.

On my 2nd straight tub of Aftershock and will not be stopping anytime soon. I purchased this with some hesitation, since I typically like to make my own post-workout shake with Hydro Whey, GlycoMaize and Kre-Alk Powder. Although, after a solid recommendation from my man Birds, I gave it a shot.

Overall: I am very impressed. I have been on a lean bulk for a couple months now. I have tried many post-workout solutions, including ON 2:1:1, Universal's Torrent and my own homegrown varieties. I love how it contains pretty much everything you need in a recovery drink, without having to really add too much. It has the Kre-Alkalyn, Partially Hydrolyzed Whey Isolate, BCAAs/Glutamine Antioxidants/Vitamins, Complex and Fast Acting Carbs, and Glucosamine.

How I ran it: Simple, 3 scoops post-workout. Gave 32g of protein/30 carbs. I stacked this with Kre-Alkalyn in the morning, Jacked pre-workout, and Gluta-lyn.

Effectiveness 10: The effectiveness of this product is on par with the ON 2:1:1 recovery. Which I use as the benchmark for all recovery drinks. Recovery was faster and noticed less soreness on the splits where I do legs, chest or back. My only 2 complaints are I wish the joint repair formula has Cissus, in addition to the Glucosamine. Also, I feel the 2:1 carb ratio may give this product a better recovery, but I can also add my own carbs if necessary.

Taste 9: It has to be one of the best post-workout recovery shakes out there. It smells like "pixie sticks" and it has a great taste, not too harsh. No aftertaste either.

Value 10: Can't beat the TFSupplements.com price. Blowout sale of $20. It is almost like stealing this product, just purchased 3 more tubs of it. Even when the sale goes away, it can be had for about $32, which is still well worth it in my book. For the money, you get a high quality recovery product that is ideal for a lean bulk.

Conclusion: If you haven't tried it, try it. You will not be disappointed.

May 28, 2010

Another Solid review bro, i can dig it!
                May 28, 2010

Another great review from the man Blade!

Thanks broski!

Probably take a break from reviewing for awhile. Then come outta retirement soon

Hahaha
              • gbganab
                May 28, 2010

Solid review! I purchased AfterShock from TFsupps and like you said, it is almost like stealing! I have really liked how I feel afterwards and the taste is surprisingly good (tropical typhoon).
              • SoulMonkey
                May 29, 2010

Great review! I hear a lot of great things of this product.
              • mckinnon14
                May 29, 2010

I went to TF supplements and was looking to steal this product... then i realized that they're trying to get rid of the old formula without kre-alkalyn
                May 29, 2010

Correction bro, it says on the site it is the old formula, but in fact you get the Kre-Alk version. I have bought it 4 times on that site since blowout sale. It will be fine.

CamelE

Not normally does a product get all 10's, but this is worth it. I'll go over value right away. You're wondering why it gets a 10 for value since it's pretty expensive? Well it has everything you could want in recovery--that takes away having to buy other products.

The taste really surprised me. I got 2 tubs of Tropical Typhoon (props birdman!) for $20 each. A definite steal as they can run nearly double that per container. I really had no idea what kinda flavor it was gonna be. With water, it mixed up orange and did require a few more shakes than a normal whey shake to get the clumps out. At first sip I thought, "Oh it's banana, no wait strawb-WTF is this?" The after taste was a bit of mango. It's weird at first, but definitely something new than your typical chocolate, vanilla, etc. flavors. It's a great flavor, but after another tub of the same flavor, I'd like to try another (Yes, I'm eyeing you Wild Berry Blast).

I'm a huge Optimum fan. I've stuck with 2:1:1 Recovery for awhile and this is my first change in the recovery department. Why fix it if it's not broken? Now I'm torn between the two. Recovery with this was on-par with 2:1:1.

It's about a 1:1 ratio of carbs to protein. It has Kre-Alkalyn creatine in it (some have said this has changed to CEE though), Glutamine, BCAAs, Antioxidant Support (ALA included), and even Joint Repair. It's not Cissus, but something is better than nothing. Sure it's priced high, but you're hitting each peak in total recovery. Kre-Alkalyn, Hydrolyzed Whey, Glutamine, Antioxidants to get rid of damaging free radicals. Just gets the top products into one big concoction.

All of this jam packed into a mere 280 calories? 2:1:1 boasts a nice 400+, which I like a few more calories for muscle building, but this is a definite must for recovery when putting on lean muscle.

I'm not a huge fan of the 1:1 ratio, but it leaves room to adjust as needed. You want some more carbs, just munch a banana with it.

I have not tried it with milk; it just doesn't sound tasty. In a blender with some ice--you're looking at a nice chilly margarita-like taste.

I found it for $20 a piece at TFSupplements.com on their blowout-sale; definitely shop around to find it on sale. It's worth every penny to me, and I strongly urge you to try it if you want an all-in-one recovery product.
               Pros:
               Cons:
              • Lean Muscle
              • Unique Flavor
              • Everything But The Kitchen Sink
              • Fast Recovery
              • Awesome Post Workout

• JayT
                  May 5, 2010

Good review. I'll look into buying it.
                • birdman2211
                  May 5, 2010

Great review my man, glad to hear you like it. Awesome product to say the least!
                • patdelaney
                  May 5, 2010

LOVE after shock. But, to me the only downfall which isnt a big one is it does have a "unique taste" not bad but nothing amazing. still an AMAZING product
                • dammit
                  May 5, 2010

I really want to try this but just cant justify adding more bottles of supplements to my wall! I will certainly give it a go after I'm done with my purple wrath though and can only hope that TFsupplements is still running the sale.
                • CamelE

Thanks guys!

patdelaney--it seems to taste better the more chilled it is. with ice cubes/cold water in a blender its fantastic.

dammit--I just checked TFsupps and they still have it on their blowout sale for $20; only flavor is tropical typhoon though.
                • RodrigoRM
                  May 6, 2010

CamelE do you actually throw in a banana to the shake since you think it may not have enough carbs... won't calories shoot up?
                • CamelE
                  May 6, 2010

I don't mix a banana with it. I was saying if you want more carbs you could always eat something with it.

It only has 30 carbs and 280 calories to begin with. Yeah a banana will add more calories, but those extra calories and carbs post-workout will be great for muscle building.

I have used aftershock numerous times, particularly as part of my lean bulk or even my cutting phases. To this day, it has not failed me. Now lets get into the actual review because I am hungry and want to eat soon LOL.

Taste (9): I have tried all three flavors and I find them all satisfying and refreshing. My personal favorite is the Wild berry blast. However, I gave it a nine because my only complaint is with the tropical typhoon. The flavor itself is good, but for some reason this flavor occasionally left a mildly unpleasant aftertaste in my mouth. Still, taste wise, this product earns points.

Ingredient Profile (10): Below is the supplemental facts of aftershock:

Serving Size: 2 Level Scoops (80g)
                Servings Per Container: 15

Calcium - 255mg 26%
                Sodium - 270mg 11%
                Potassium - 125mg 4%

STACK - 7g
                A Proprietary Non Steroidal, Highly Anabolic Formula Consisting Of Muscle Volumizers, Strength And Recovery Agents.
                Magnesium Creatine Chelate

L-Leucine 3.45g
                L-Valine 1.85g
                L-Isoleucine 1.95g

Antioxidant Blend - 1500mg
                (Vitamin A 73%, Vitamin C 1667%, Vitamin E 200%, Alpha Lipoic Acid, B1 (Thiamin) 200%, B2 (Riboflavin) 200%, B3 (Niacin) 200%, B5 (Pantothenic Acid) 200%, B6 200%, B9 (Folate) 200%, B12 200%)

Joint Repair - 1500mg
                (Glucosamine Sulfate, Chondroitin Sulfate, MSM)

Other Ingredients
                AFTERSHOCK Fast Absorption Protein Blendâ„¢ (Partially Hydrolyzed Whey Protein Isolate, High Growth Factor Ultra-Filtered Whey Protein Rich In Lactoferrins And Immunoglobulins), Glycogenxâ„¢: A Polymerized Glyconutrient Incorporating All Of The Conditionally Essential Monosaccharides And Polysaccharides Providing Cellurlar Rehydration And Glycogen Replenishment (Long Chain Polysaccharides And Short Chain Monosaccharides D-Glucose), Natural And Artificial Flavors, Citric Acid, Turmeric Powder (Natural Color), Sucralose

As you can see, aftershock contains a favorable blend of all of your basic post workout essentials including proper carbs for muscle glycogen restoration, 34g of protein, creatine, amino acids, antioxidants, glutamine, and even joint support. Anybody familiar with muscle recuperation would know that all of these ingredients (with the exception of the joint support which is good for joints) are fundamentally essential for recovery and hypertrophy support. My only real complaint is that I wish that the current version still contained kre-alkalyn.

Effectivenss (10): This product has consistently improved my recovery and allowed me to gain strength and even endurance when combined with proper diet and intensive training. While on this product, post-workout fatigue and soreness are nearly absent. Furthermore, I find myself having more stamina and cardio fitness as a result of better recovery. As added bonuses, the joint support complex helps prevent the minor joint tension I would occasionally feel after immense training and the antioxidant complex does wonders for general health suppport. Never found myself having to fight off an illness when on this supplement. Of course, I do take multi-vitamins so I cannot give all the credit to this product for this benefit. Still, an added bonus nonetheless.

Value (7): Here is the product's achilles heal. Each tub can cost anywhere between 35-42 dollars depending on where you purchase it. Thankfully, the local store in my hometown hooks me up with a price of 28 dollars a tub. However, the punch this product takes in the value category is not just price related. Each tub contains 15 servings. With the frequency of my training, a tub would typically last me about 2 1/2 weeks. As a result, the cost can really add up.

Overall (9): I will give this product an overall 9 because it truly does deliver in terms of effectivenss and covers several areas in muscle recovery supplementation. My only complaint is that I wish the tubs were bigger with more servings for the price. Still, I highly recommend this supplement to anyone looking for an overall effective post-workout supplement.

April 14, 2012

Good review!

You are the first person that I've ever heard say they like the taste! Haha

Thank you to ALL SR members who talked this product up! I had to give it a try and this is def. a supplement that will remain a constant in my stack. Since using this product, I have gotten into the best shape of my life and have seen increased definition and size.
                  Value: If you can get this on TFSupplements at their blowout price of 20 bucks it is highway robbery. 15 servings, 20 bucks, for everything you'd ever want/need in a post-workout supp. Also, since this formula does has Kre Alk, it has helped me save on my Sci Fit since I am only taking that in the AM. Since it also has 32 grams of isolate and hydroslate protein, I have prolonged the life of my whey protein to just mornings and inbetween meals.
                  Taste: They only had tropcial typhoon at their blowout price but I really liked the taste and began to crave it during my workout. The fruity flavor is a nice change from the traditional flavors of chocolate, vanilla, etc.
                  Effectiveness: This is always tough because I am taking other supplements, so I cannot accredit all of my results to just this. However, taking this product gives me what I call an "after pump". The carbs and sugar give me a refreshed feeling when normally I feel drained.
                  Mixability: I liked to use closer to 20 ounces of water instead of the recommended 12-16. It seemed to taste and mix better that way with adding gluta lyn and Beta Alanine in with it.
                  Overall: I read about these "post-workout" and "recovery" supps and I just thought what a joke-USE Whey Protein!! Man, oh MAN... have my eyes been opened up! I once was blind, but now I see... AFTER SHOCK! Get some.
                  p.s. I just checked and TFSupplements.com does have their blowout sale on this!!
                   Pros:
                   Cons:
                  • After Gym Pumps
                  • Refreshed Feeling From Carbs And Sugar

June 10, 2010

Nice bro. You definatley sold me on this one. Consider it ordered.
                    • wjmathewsx
                      June 10, 2010

That's what I talking about..... You could sell an eskimo a fan with that kind of review! I am definitely trying this. The clincher is saving me some time with the Kre-Alk and the Whey.... Awesome!
                    • Highland10
                      June 10, 2010

Excellent review... and, you're right... Aftershock is incredible. The best in my opinion. Just wish the price was a tad less. But with all it contains, including protein, joint support, vitamins, etc., it's worth it.

I was always hesitant about Myogenix Aftershock because when I first tried it back in 2010 I knew nothing about the company. I was really pleased with overall results after recommendations here in SR from fellow members and it has been a staple supplement of mine for quite a while.

Taste/Mixability: 9.8/10

Taste/Mixability: 9.8/10

As many have stated, the taste may not be too pleasant for some. Indeed the contents such as BCAA's and creatine are tough to conceal. I did make an uninformed purchase once and got the Wild Berry Blast flavor which was pretty bad. Then I searched for another flavor and, tired of chocolate and vanilla, fixed my eyes upon piña colada. I haven't tried more flavors of this product since. I absolutely love it. Granted mixability may be a bit tough but just use 16oz+ of water, maybe some ice and it will be very refreshing.

Ingredient Profile: 9.6/10

I am very happy with the high quality hidrolyzed whey isolate that it contains. Love the good BCAA blend and the creatine chelate. Yeah it could maybe be better if it were kre-alkalyn specially when I'm on a cut but I don't complain much. I really like the fact that it has glucosamine sulfate and chondroitin sulfate for joint support. I further find it impressive that it has under 300 cals per serving with the amount of ingredients it includes.

Effectiveness: 9.9/10

This is probably what I like the most about this product and it is also what it really comes down to: results. My recovery has never been better since using this, no matter how intense my workouts may have been. I have been able to gain lean muscle with it too, zero bloating. I've used this product when cutting and when trying to add lean muscle too, in both cases it has proven to be very successful. I personally love how sometimes I am beat after a grueling workout and drinking this in a few gulps almost provides me that instant sensation of replenishment and well being.

Value: 9.0/10

When I first checked the price of this product I thought to myself it was quite steep. I no longer feel the same way. Results with it have proven me sometimes expensive turns out cheap. Probably could be a tad cheaper but I don't think it's a factor to complain about.

Overall: 9.6/10

This is a very serious recovery product. The ingredient profile is very complete and it shows upon taking this repeatedly post-workout. I love the 34g of protein per serving and how versatile this supplement is for it can be used on a bulk or a cut. Granted I haven't used any other recovery products but maybe it is because of how satisfied I am with this product (And maybe products such as Biorhythm's Afterglow are just too rich for my blood). I recommend this to anyone who wants to build muscle, reduce soreness, plans to do a cut or just someone who plainly wants a high quality and complete recovery formula. Try it out and my bet is you won't be dissaointed.

• Unique Flavor
                      Copyright © 2014 SupplementReviews.com. All rights reserved.