AfterShock Recovery Reviews

By: Myogenix

Overall Score   How is this Calculated?

10 39

Ranks #1 of 39 (better than 100%) in
Protein > Post-Workout Recovery Formulas

AfterShock Recovery is a Post-Workout Product manufactured by Myogenix. It is designed to feed the muscles with protein, carbs and amino acids immedaitely following a workout to assist in muscle recovery and growth.
INGREDIENTS (10)

MIN. EFF. DOSE

N/A

CATEGORY AVERAGE

0mg

CATEGORY PREVALENCE

Glutamine is a much beloved amino acid supplement widely regarded for its ability to improve recovery and boost performance.

MIN. EFF. DOSE

5g

CATEGORY AVERAGE

0mg

CATEGORY PREVALENCE

COMPARE SIMILAR

petey7408

May 8, 2011

Myogenix Aftershock is one product that has been on my list of supplements to review for quite some time now. I've used it numerous times with great results, and I must say this review is long overdue.

**Taste/Texture: 9.1/10**
This is the area that I hear the most complaints about for this product. While it might not be the best tasting product on the market, I have to say I'm very impressed with the taste considering the ingredients that are used in this product. Hydrolyzed whey, creatine, glucosamine and straight up BCAA's aren't easy flavors to mask, and taking that into consideration, this product is pretty impressive. My personal favorite is the fruit punch, but the others I've tried including the Wild Berry having a semisweet mixed berry flavor or the Orange that reminds me of under-sweet Tang won't leave you dissapointed.

**Mixability/Texture: 8.9/10**
This is an area that draws a lot of complaints, but considering the components, a little foaminess after mixing is to be expected (just let it sit a minute or two and this eliminates the problem). No complaints from me when it comes to mixing as the product mixes pretty easily in a shaker and I rarely experience clumps. You might be taken aback somewhat when you first try this with a texture that's slightly chalky, but trust me, it grows on you.

**Ingredient Profile: 9.7/10**
Very pleased overall when it comes to the nutrition profile and that is one reason I keep using it. First off, I am pleased that they chose to go with a blend of partially hydrolyzed whey isolate, and whey isolate. I also was pleased with their choice of carbohydrates using long chain polysaccharides and maltodextrin (yes Maltodextrin is great for post workout), rather than just loading it with fructose. I'm also a big fan of the inclusion of creatine, glutamine and BCAA's. Heck, they even include 1.5g of joint supporting glucosamine and chondroitin and a nice blend of anti-oxidants.

**Effectiveness: 9.5/10**
Regardless of taste or nutritional profile, if a post-workout recovery product doesn't help you...well, recover, it's worthless. This certainly isn't the case with Aftershock. I have used this product on lean bulking, cutting and maintenance and I have yet to be left disappointed. Recovery is phenominal, among the best out of all the recovery products that I've tried.

Value: 8.9/10
This seems to be the only downfall when it comes to this outstanding product. While some will cringe at the price tag, I feel that it is on par with many other post workouts. 15 servings will seem to go pretty fast, but in case you haven't seen it, they now have a 30 serving container that makes it a slightly better value. Regardless, I don't feel the price is unjustified for the outstanding recovery and top of the line ingredients they use.

Overall: 9.5/10
Touting an outstanding nutritional profile, this product is a measuring stick that other post workouts should be measured against. Another thing I really like about this is I feel that with 25g of protein and 30g of carbs, it is set at just the right amount for a recovery formula, regardless of cut or bulk. This is hands down one of the best post workout products on the market today, and I strongly recommend that if you haven't already given this product a try that you consider doing so in the near future.

-AP
elirugger
  March 25, 2011

I am finally ready to write this review for Aftershock. It has been a long time coming but it's a great product.

This product has a great combination of ingredients for an all-in-one post workout recovery drink. With 8 g of amino acids, 7.25 g of BCAAs, 30g of carbohydrates and 34g of protein, I find this extremely useful for recovery.

Taste: 9/10 I found the Tropical Typhoon flavor very pleasant. It wasn't the best tasting thing I've ever had but it was still really good. I'm more about the effectiveness than the taste but it helps when your supplements taste good as well.

Mixability:7.5/10 The mixing was better than average. However, I did find some clumps at the bottom of my shake when mixed with 16oz of water. Nothing too bad, just not perfect.

Effectiveness: 10/10 This is by far a superior recovery supplement. I had noticeably reduced recovery time and felt great while taking this. Recovering more quickly allowed me to grow faster and continue making gains in strength throughout my workouts.

Value: 7/10 This is probably my biggest problem with this product. It is expensive at ~$30 for 15 servings. I would love to buy it more often but the budget only allows me to get it from time to time.

Overall: 9/10 I would definitely recommend this product to anybody looking for better recovery and something that tastes good too. The only reason it didn't get a full 10 out of 10 is because of the price. Otherwise it's a fantastic product.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Fast Recovery
  • Unique Flavor
  • Bit Pricey
CamSTL

January 9, 2012

I heard about this product from Garlick and used several tubs of this over the spring/summer and after my football workouts

Taste: 9/10 A common complaint was that this product tasted like poo. I even heard the term "sweet poo". But I actually like the taste of this product. I had the Tropical Typhoon flavor and I will admit that at first I did not like its sweet gritty taste, but it grew on me and I looked forward to taking this post workouts

Ingredient profile consists of partially Hydrolyzed Whey Protein Isolate, a decent Antioxidant blend of Vitamins, 8grams of an amino stack which consists of creatine and glutamine, 7grams of BCAA's and 1500mg of MSM and Glucosamine and Chondroitin Sulfate. Their joint complex was an added bonus and paid dividends during football season.

Mixability 5.5/10 This stuff doesn't mix well. Sometimes I can make this and down it w/o a bit of grit at the bottom. But no matter shaken or stirred a majority of time there is a big clump of grit sitting at the bottom of the cup.

Effectiveness 10/10 I've heard this product is good on a lean bulk but I used this on maintenace. I would be silly of me to say that I was never sore after working out and football practice but I will say that this helped my soreness go away faster than any recover product I have ever used. With the Joint complex (along with the cissus I was taking) and the recovery methods of this product I would wake up feeling fresh the next day. I felt as if I had a heads up advantage over the guys during training camp in the summer.

Bodywise I felt this product helped add to my lean muscle gains over the spring. With all the cardio and 100 degree weather it would be impossible for me to put on much size in the summer but I believe this helped me keep my lean muscle gains, while maintaining weight with the profile it has(some have said it would be good on a bulk as it contains 280calories, 10 from fat 30carbs and 15grams of sugar)

Value 8/10 The running price for this now is around $30+ but I got this on sale for 23.99 and bought a couple tubs. 2scoops is a serving size which will last about 15days but I found that goes by too fast. So I used 1-1/2 scoop and reaped the same amazing recovery benefits while squeezing out a couple more days of this product.

Overall 9/10 This product has top of the line ingredients in it. I know with products like Dark Matter and Afterglow out there and the emergence of Hydrobuilder people overlook Aftershock. But its really a great recover product whether for a cut, lean bulk or maintenance.
Cray

August 31, 2010

After finishing two tubs of MHP's Dark Matter, I decided to switch things up for the last month of my bulk cycle and ended up purchasing Myogenix's Aftershock after reading the rave reviews of so many other SR members. I just recently finished a 2.64 lb. tub of the Wild Berry Blast flavor. I added in a dose of powdered Gluta-Lyn to each serving and drank it immediately post workout, 4-5 days a week.

TASTE & MIXABILITY: 7/10
The taste of the Wild Berry Blast flavor was like crushed Flintstones vitamins blended with milk. At first I didn't like the taste at all, but slowly it grew on me. By around week two I was looking forward to having my Aftershock drink after my workouts. Fair warning though – the smell of this flavor is AWFUL. It smells like... well like regurgitated Flintstones vitamins mixed with sour milk. Absolutely disgusting. When I was taking Dark Matter, I would put the powder in a 32 oz. neoprene bottle with a large opening. Unfortunately when I did this the first time with Aftershock, the smell was so bad that I had to plug my nose to get the mixture down. After that experience I switched to using my normal shaker cups with smaller drink openings. I also made sure not to inhale through my nose immediately before taking a sip of the shake. By doing this I was able to avoid any other issues with the smell of the powder.

Aftershock mixes fairly well, but regardless of whether I used a regular shaker cup or blender bottle, there was always a mouthful of grit at the bottom of the cup that didn't blend. It's a little annoying to always have to finish the drink with a swallow of gritty vitamin sand...

EFFECTIVENESS: 9/10
As my boss says: "I don't care how a product tastes, I care about results." This is spot on for Aftershock. I experienced significant gains in both size and strength while using the product. For example, my dumbbell shoulder press stood at 90 lbs. for 3 reps prior to Aftershock. Last week I got 90 lbs. for 6 easy reps and 100 lbs. for 4 reps. I improved in weight and reps in all my exercises during the four weeks.

I want to preface this by saying that I had (and still have) a lot of room for physical growth. Bodybuilding and weight training is a new passion of mine, and something that I've only been doing seriously for about the past four months. As such, I have a long way to go before I reach the physical levels of some of the other, more senior members of this site.

I will say that with Dark Matter, I felt that my gains were almost entirely lean muscle. It seemed like my gains with Aftershock were greater that those with Dark Matter, but that I also put on a bit of fat in addition to the lean mass. This was especially the case during week three, when I was feeling quite bloated and chubby. By week four however, I was feeling leaner and more muscular than ever before.

As for recovery, again Aftershock delivers. Regardless of how hard I worked any particular muscle group, I always felt rejuvenated 15 minutes after drinking the shake. I never felt any long-lasting soreness or fatigue during my four weeks using this product.

VALUE: 7/10
This is a tough category because Aftershock is certainly an awesome product. The problem is that a 2.64 lb. tub only contains 15 servings, and at roughly $35 per tub, this equates to a steep per-serving cost of $2.33. The larger tubs of Aftershock (5.82 lbs.) are a bit easier on the wallet and will run you a per-serving cost of $2.00. This cost is very similar to Universal's Torrent, where a 3.28 lb. tub has roughly the same per serving cost (even though you're getting much more product per serving). Conversely, a 2.6 lb. tub of MHP's Dark Matter yields 20 servings and has a $1.75 per-serving cost.

Regardless, a post-workout supplement may not fit into everyone's budget. Certainly there are many protein powders available that, with the addition of a few secondary ingredients, can provide the same shortened recovery periods and increased strength gains for a cheaper price. And in reality, a specific post-workout supplement is certainly not an "essential" product to have on one's shelf.

OVERALL: 8/10
The gains I made with this product speak for themselves. If you have the monetary means and are looking for to gain lean mass, Aftershock is a great supplement to assist you in your goals.
Meuth

February 7, 2011

Well, I've now completed at least 8 tubs of this so it's time I do a review. I had both the old formula and the new.

The taste of Tropical Typhoon is not that great. The first couple of times you try it, it will be tough to get down. After that, you will get used to it.

It does not mix well. I don't think I ever had three scoops mix completely on the first shake. I always had to add more water to get the leftover large clump.

The bottom line on this stuff is that it works! It is great for building muscle and recovery. I can tell a huge difference on the amount of soreness when I'm using it and when I'm not. I always use this during my bulking phases.

The taste is tolerable and the mixing problem is easy to deal with. I suggest this is something you try if you are looking for a post workout protein. I have not tried 2:1:1 or Torrent so I can not compare them, but they are also highly recommended if you are curious.

As a side note, I actually reduced my serving to two scoops to save money and mix better. It still works just fine for me!
  • 3 Scoops Is A Bit Much
Blade410

May 28, 2010

On my 2nd straight tub of Aftershock and will not be stopping anytime soon. I purchased this with some hesitation, since I typically like to make my own post-workout shake with Hydro Whey, GlycoMaize and Kre-Alk Powder. Although, after a solid recommendation from my man Birds, I gave it a shot.

Overall: I am very impressed. I have been on a lean bulk for a couple months now. I have tried many post-workout solutions, including ON 2:1:1, Universal's Torrent and my own homegrown varieties. I love how it contains pretty much everything you need in a recovery drink, without having to really add too much. It has the Kre-Alkalyn, Partially Hydrolyzed Whey Isolate, BCAAs/Glutamine Antioxidants/Vitamins, Complex and Fast Acting Carbs, and Glucosamine.

How I ran it: Simple, 3 scoops post-workout. Gave 32g of protein/30 carbs. I stacked this with Kre-Alkalyn in the morning, Jacked pre-workout, and Gluta-lyn.

Effectiveness 10: The effectiveness of this product is on par with the ON 2:1:1 recovery. Which I use as the benchmark for all recovery drinks. Recovery was faster and noticed less soreness on the splits where I do legs, chest or back. My only 2 complaints are I wish the joint repair formula has Cissus, in addition to the Glucosamine. Also, I feel the 2:1 carb ratio may give this product a better recovery, but I can also add my own carbs if necessary.

Taste 9: It has to be one of the best post-workout recovery shakes out there. It smells like "pixie sticks" and it has a great taste, not too harsh. No aftertaste either.

Value 10: Can't beat the TFSupplements.com price. Blowout sale of $20. It is almost like stealing this product, just purchased 3 more tubs of it. Even when the sale goes away, it can be had for about $32, which is still well worth it in my book. For the money, you get a high quality recovery product that is ideal for a lean bulk.

Conclusion: If you haven't tried it, try it. You will not be disappointed.
  • 1:1 Ratio
CamelE

May 5, 2010

Not normally does a product get all 10's, but this is worth it. I'll go over value right away. You're wondering why it gets a 10 for value since it's pretty expensive? Well it has everything you could want in recovery--that takes away having to buy other products.

The taste really surprised me. I got 2 tubs of Tropical Typhoon (props birdman!) for $20 each. A definite steal as they can run nearly double that per container. I really had no idea what kinda flavor it was gonna be. With water, it mixed up orange and did require a few more shakes than a normal whey shake to get the clumps out. At first sip I thought, "Oh it's banana, no wait strawb-WTF is this?" The after taste was a bit of mango. It's weird at first, but definitely something new than your typical chocolate, vanilla, etc. flavors. It's a great flavor, but after another tub of the same flavor, I'd like to try another (Yes, I'm eyeing you Wild Berry Blast).

I'm a huge Optimum fan. I've stuck with 2:1:1 Recovery for awhile and this is my first change in the recovery department. Why fix it if it's not broken? Now I'm torn between the two. Recovery with this was on-par with 2:1:1.

It's about a 1:1 ratio of carbs to protein. It has Kre-Alkalyn creatine in it (some have said this has changed to CEE though), Glutamine, BCAAs, Antioxidant Support (ALA included), and even Joint Repair. It's not Cissus, but something is better than nothing. Sure it's priced high, but you're hitting each peak in total recovery. Kre-Alkalyn, Hydrolyzed Whey, Glutamine, Antioxidants to get rid of damaging free radicals. Just gets the top products into one big concoction.

All of this jam packed into a mere 280 calories? 2:1:1 boasts a nice 400+, which I like a few more calories for muscle building, but this is a definite must for recovery when putting on lean muscle.

I'm not a huge fan of the 1:1 ratio, but it leaves room to adjust as needed. You want some more carbs, just munch a banana with it.

I have not tried it with milk; it just doesn't sound tasty. In a blender with some ice--you're looking at a nice chilly margarita-like taste.

I found it for $20 a piece at TFSupplements.com on their blowout-sale; definitely shop around to find it on sale. It's worth every penny to me, and I strongly urge you to try it if you want an all-in-one recovery product.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Fast Recovery
  • Awesome Post Workout
  • Lean Muscle
  • Unique Flavor
  • Everything But The Kitchen Sink
  • 1:1 Ratio
WarMachine
  April 14, 2012

I have used aftershock numerous times, particularly as part of my lean bulk or even my cutting phases. To this day, it has not failed me. Now lets get into the actual review because I am hungry and want to eat soon LOL.

Taste (9): I have tried all three flavors and I find them all satisfying and refreshing. My personal favorite is the Wild berry blast. However, I gave it a nine because my only complaint is with the tropical typhoon. The flavor itself is good, but for some reason this flavor occasionally left a mildly unpleasant aftertaste in my mouth. Still, taste wise, this product earns points.

Ingredient Profile (10): Below is the supplemental facts of aftershock:

Serving Size: 2 Level Scoops (80g)
Servings Per Container: 15

Calcium - 255mg 26%
Sodium - 270mg 11%
Potassium - 125mg 4%

STACK - 7g
A Proprietary Non Steroidal, Highly Anabolic Formula Consisting Of Muscle Volumizers, Strength And Recovery Agents.
Magnesium Creatine Chelate

L-Leucine 3.45g
L-Valine 1.85g
L-Isoleucine 1.95g

Antioxidant Blend - 1500mg
(Vitamin A 73%, Vitamin C 1667%, Vitamin E 200%, Alpha Lipoic Acid, B1 (Thiamin) 200%, B2 (Riboflavin) 200%, B3 (Niacin) 200%, B5 (Pantothenic Acid) 200%, B6 200%, B9 (Folate) 200%, B12 200%)

Joint Repair - 1500mg
(Glucosamine Sulfate, Chondroitin Sulfate, MSM)

Other Ingredients
AFTERSHOCK Fast Absorption Protein Blendâ„¢ (Partially Hydrolyzed Whey Protein Isolate, High Growth Factor Ultra-Filtered Whey Protein Rich In Lactoferrins And Immunoglobulins), Glycogenxâ„¢: A Polymerized Glyconutrient Incorporating All Of The Conditionally Essential Monosaccharides And Polysaccharides Providing Cellurlar Rehydration And Glycogen Replenishment (Long Chain Polysaccharides And Short Chain Monosaccharides D-Glucose), Natural And Artificial Flavors, Citric Acid, Turmeric Powder (Natural Color), Sucralose

As you can see, aftershock contains a favorable blend of all of your basic post workout essentials including proper carbs for muscle glycogen restoration, 34g of protein, creatine, amino acids, antioxidants, glutamine, and even joint support. Anybody familiar with muscle recuperation would know that all of these ingredients (with the exception of the joint support which is good for joints) are fundamentally essential for recovery and hypertrophy support. My only real complaint is that I wish that the current version still contained kre-alkalyn.

Effectivenss (10): This product has consistently improved my recovery and allowed me to gain strength and even endurance when combined with proper diet and intensive training. While on this product, post-workout fatigue and soreness are nearly absent. Furthermore, I find myself having more stamina and cardio fitness as a result of better recovery. As added bonuses, the joint support complex helps prevent the minor joint tension I would occasionally feel after immense training and the antioxidant complex does wonders for general health suppport. Never found myself having to fight off an illness when on this supplement. Of course, I do take multi-vitamins so I cannot give all the credit to this product for this benefit. Still, an added bonus nonetheless.

Value (7): Here is the product's achilles heal. Each tub can cost anywhere between 35-42 dollars depending on where you purchase it. Thankfully, the local store in my hometown hooks me up with a price of 28 dollars a tub. However, the punch this product takes in the value category is not just price related. Each tub contains 15 servings. With the frequency of my training, a tub would typically last me about 2 1/2 weeks. As a result, the cost can really add up.

Overall (9): I will give this product an overall 9 because it truly does deliver in terms of effectivenss and covers several areas in muscle recovery supplementation. My only complaint is that I wish the tubs were bigger with more servings for the price. Still, I highly recommend this supplement to anyone looking for an overall effective post-workout supplement.
  • Tub Doesn't Last Very Long
  • Needs More Servings For Price
gbganab
  June 10, 2010

Thank you to ALL SR members who talked this product up! I had to give it a try and this is def. a supplement that will remain a constant in my stack. Since using this product, I have gotten into the best shape of my life and have seen increased definition and size.
Value: If you can get this on TFSupplements at their blowout price of 20 bucks it is highway robbery. 15 servings, 20 bucks, for everything you'd ever want/need in a post-workout supp. Also, since this formula does has Kre Alk, it has helped me save on my Sci Fit since I am only taking that in the AM. Since it also has 32 grams of isolate and hydroslate protein, I have prolonged the life of my whey protein to just mornings and inbetween meals.
Taste: They only had tropcial typhoon at their blowout price but I really liked the taste and began to crave it during my workout. The fruity flavor is a nice change from the traditional flavors of chocolate, vanilla, etc.
Effectiveness: This is always tough because I am taking other supplements, so I cannot accredit all of my results to just this. However, taking this product gives me what I call an "after pump". The carbs and sugar give me a refreshed feeling when normally I feel drained.
Mixability: I liked to use closer to 20 ounces of water instead of the recommended 12-16. It seemed to taste and mix better that way with adding gluta lyn and Beta Alanine in with it.
Overall: I read about these "post-workout" and "recovery" supps and I just thought what a joke-USE Whey Protein!! Man, oh MAN... have my eyes been opened up! I once was blind, but now I see... AFTER SHOCK! Get some.
p.s. I just checked and TFSupplements.com does have their blowout sale on this!!
  • After Gym Pumps
  • Refreshed Feeling From Carbs And Sugar
    RodrigoRM
      April 11, 2013

I was always hesitant about Myogenix Aftershock because when I first tried it back in 2010 I knew nothing about the company. I was really pleased with overall results after recommendations here in SR from fellow members and it has been a staple supplement of mine for quite a while.

Taste/Mixability: 9.8/10

As many have stated, the taste may not be too pleasant for some. Indeed the contents such as BCAA's and creatine are tough to conceal. I did make an uninformed purchase once and got the Wild Berry Blast flavor which was pretty bad. Then I searched for another flavor and, tired of chocolate and vanilla, fixed my eyes upon piña colada. I haven't tried more flavors of this product since. I absolutely love it. Granted mixability may be a bit tough but just use 16oz+ of water, maybe some ice and it will be very refreshing.

Ingredient Profile: 9.6/10

I am very happy with the high quality hidrolyzed whey isolate that it contains. Love the good BCAA blend and the creatine chelate. Yeah it could maybe be better if it were kre-alkalyn specially when I'm on a cut but I don't complain much. I really like the fact that it has glucosamine sulfate and chondroitin sulfate for joint support. I further find it impressive that it has under 300 cals per serving with the amount of ingredients it includes.

Effectiveness: 9.9/10

This is probably what I like the most about this product and it is also what it really comes down to: results. My recovery has never been better since using this, no matter how intense my workouts may have been. I have been able to gain lean muscle with it too, zero bloating. I've used this product when cutting and when trying to add lean muscle too, in both cases it has proven to be very successful. I personally love how sometimes I am beat after a grueling workout and drinking this in a few gulps almost provides me that instant sensation of replenishment and well being.

Value: 9.0/10

When I first checked the price of this product I thought to myself it was quite steep. I no longer feel the same way. Results with it have proven me sometimes expensive turns out cheap. Probably could be a tad cheaper but I don't think it's a factor to complain about.

Overall: 9.6/10

This is a very serious recovery product. The ingredient profile is very complete and it shows upon taking this repeatedly post-workout. I love the 34g of protein per serving and how versatile this supplement is for it can be used on a bulk or a cut. Granted I haven't used any other recovery products but maybe it is because of how satisfied I am with this product (And maybe products such as Biorhythm's Afterglow are just too rich for my blood). I recommend this to anyone who wants to build muscle, reduce soreness, plans to do a cut or just someone who plainly wants a high quality and complete recovery formula. Try it out and my bet is you won't be dissaointed.

• Wish It Still Had Kre-alklyn