After Shock Critical Mass Reviews

By: Myogenix

Overall Score   How is this Calculated?

Ranks #10 of 23 (better than 59%) in
Protein > Weight Gainers

After Shock Critical Mass is a Weight Gainer manufactured by Myogenix. It is a protein based supplement that has additional calories from carbohydrates and fats. It is meant to add additional calories for the body in order to assist with weight and muscle mass gain.

August 31, 2015

What's up guys another review here. This is a category you won't see me say too much on. Mass gainers. So about a year ago I just got done with a long summer of Hardscaping (what the locals call landscaping construction; building ponds, lifting boulders, mulching, taking down trees, planting trees etc.) working 10-11 hour days 6 days a week. I worked for not the most easy going employer meaning that having a snack while working was looked at as a mortal sin. I weighed about 198 and would fluctuate between 185-198 weekly. Although I am now trying to get back down to that weight back than it wasn't what I was after. I am usually a healthy 205. Since I am trying to get into the 185 weight class for powerlifting I am taking an approach to get there so I don't lose any strength. The weight loss came from not eating and dehydration. I needed calories and a protein shake that would fill me up and this is what I found.

----Ingredient Profile----
The ingredients in this really caught my eye. Their blend of isolates, waxymaize carbs, and blend of healthy oils for fats I thought was pretty clever. Also the amount of fiber was pretty sweet. The added glutamine and chelated creatine was a cool added bonus. On top of it the vitamins and minerals as well as potassium was something that was unexpected.

I had the vanilla flavor and it tasted pretty good. Not amazing yet far far away from horrible. I would usually do a half serving so I would get closer to a month supply rather than two weeks. Usually for mass gainers the mixability is a huge issue. Not with Critical Mass however! It mixed pretty well. Yes the occasional little corners that I would have to take a fork to disperse it but overall nothing terrible. Very seldomly would I use the suggested three scoops. With one and a half scoops I would still get 25.5 grams of protein, 340 calories, and 45 carbs.

This product was really effective. I was able to keep my weight from fluctuating. Also I was able to get back to 200 lbs. Also post workout this drink would help me I feel immediately. I wouldn't need to eat for a few hours afterwards and felt as if I just ate a decent size meal. Also I could see my arms fill up after two tubs. This packed on weight but not sloppy fat looking weight. This definitely aided in my muscle recovery. I also made great strength gains that ran concurrently while taking this product. With me working those long hours it helped me make it a few hours before running off and sneaking a snack before lunch. (Yeah I had to sneak off to eat snacks, pretty happy I don't work there anymore).

The value on this wasn't there. This tends to be a common trend with mass gainers as I have seen. You get a huge tub and realize the serving size will last you less than a month. I spent around $55 for a 5.62. This comes out to around $1.83 per serving. Not the greatest but again this seems to be the norm for mass gainers. Also this is me using half the dosage to make it 30 servings. If you were to run it at full dosage it would be $3.66, which in my opinion is way to high to pay for any powder per serving.

----Side Effects----
Sides for this for me personally wasn't the best. I felt it in my stomach for awhile. It felt as if it didn't start digesting for twenty minutes or so. Again for me I have a have a weak stomach stemming from years of treating my body like crap so my view on sides in terms of feeling nauseous is skewed.

My conclusion on this is since I won't be trying to bulk for awhile I will pass on this. However when/if I do decide to go on a bulking cycle this winter I know what product to turn to and Critical Mass is it! I would highly recommend this product.
  • Great For Muscle Recovery
  • Great Meal Replacement
  • Bloat
  • Slow Digesting
  August 2, 2012

I purchased the 5.62 Lb tub of the Chocolate Milk Shake Flavor. Critical Mass is a weight gainer with protein, carbs, and creatine.

Total Fat: 15 g
Calories: 700
Calories from fat: 140
Carbs: 91 G
Protein: 52 G

There is chelated creatine, waxymass for carbs, and two types of whey protein. There is also glutamine for recovery.

You can get Optimum Serious Mass for about $40 for a 12 lb bag so After Shock Critical Mass gets a ding for value.

This product is very effective. I took 3 scoops (one serving) after every workout and one scoop in the mornings before starting my day. I have a rigorous workout schedule involving hard cardio and weightlifting and Critical Mass provided me with energy, carbs, and proper recovery. I did notice some lean muscle gains. I stacked Critical Mass with NLA Performance T-BLAST. Natural Testosterone boosters boost your natural testosterone levels making you more anabolic and allowing your muscles to absorb and utilize protein better.

Mixability and Taste are both very good. Put three scoops in a shaker, pour in some milk, shake it all up and you are good. It is a tad big clumpy but nothing to shun you away from this product.

This a great gainer but is a bit pricey.

Rep: -12
  June 25, 2012

This is my first review on the site. In high school and college my favorite way to put on muscle was to do a serious bulk then cut down. I decided to get back into shape after my 29th birthday but first decided to go on a big bulk before cutting down so I could build a good muscular base.

MyoGenix AfterShock Critical Mass is a gainer that I picked up for $45 on The value is nothing special because there is only 15 servings per 5.62 lb tub at 3 scoops per serving. The directions say to take 3 scoops as many times a day (obviously they want you to crush through your tub and buy another). I was taking 2 scoops in the morning and 3 scoops after workouts.

Here is thing people care most about in protein and weight gainer shakes: Taste and Mixability
-The Chocolate Milk Shake flavor mixes well in Milk or Water and tastes great.

Decent ingredient profile:
1 serving contains:
52 g of lactose free protein
chelated creatine
18 g fat
700 calories
15g sugar

Overall this gainer was at best OK. I did not notice full recovery after workouts. I did notice an increase in muscle mass over the short course of using this product.

It is always tough to differentiate which protein/gainer works better than the other so I give this one a 'Maybe' because it tastes well but is not the most effective out there.
  September 12, 2010

Over last Christmas break I decided that I wanted to get as big as I could in 5 weeks between school ending the middle of December and having to go back the middle of January. I'm about 6'2" and when I got home I was around 190 lbs. I was using NO Shotgun pre-workout and I had a couple of servings left of Aftershock that I used the first week and a half. After the fist two weeks I was around 195.

When I ran out of the Aftershock I went to the store and told the guy I just wanted to get bigger and he suggested Aftershock Critical Mass. I continued to take NO Shotgun pre-workout, and used this post-workout instead of the regular Aftershock. My diet was pretty good, I wasn't eating too particularly healthy but it usually looked something like:
Breakfast - 4 egg omelet w/cheese and meat
Lunch - meat and veggies
Snack - pb&j sandwich
Pre-Workout - NO Shotgun
Post-Workout - After Shock Critical Mass w/milk
Dinner - meat, baked potato, veggies, sometimes ice cream milkshake for desert

This product seemed to make a huge difference in my goal to gain weight. After switching from regular Aftershock to this, I got up to 207 by the time I left back for school. I put on a lot of size through my arms and chest, but I also put on size around my midsection. However, if used correctly for a lean bulk I believe this product could help with a lean bulk without having to suffer the same gut I put on. But I didn't know much about nutrition and my main goal was just size. I was also the strongest I have ever been, but I don't believe that was all due to the ASCM.

I remember the taste being pretty good. Nothing like a Syntha-6 or something like that, but still it was enjoyable. I also don't remember having that bad of gas from this product which was another plus from a high protein supplement.

My only two complaints with this product are the price, and the mixability. It cost me $40 a tub and using full servings there are only 15 servings per tub. However, the ingredient profile is very impressive and you could probably get away with using less than a full serving to make a tub last longer. When I talk about the mixability, I don't mean how it mixed with the fluid but how hard it was to actually get it all together. I was mixing 3 big scoops with 16 oz. of milk and I could not get it all to fit and mix in my Blender Bottle. I was having to mix it all in an actual blender which isn't the worst thing in the world, but also not the most convenient.

Overall this product did exactly what I was looking for it to do at the time. It helped me put on size and weight in a very short period of time. I would absolutely recommend this to anyone that wants to put on weight and has a hard time doing it.
  • Hard To Mix In Shaker
  July 15, 2010

My god this stuff tasted so good and definately the best weight gainer I have taken so far.
Packs on mass
builds muscle
tastes very good
you definately get what you pay for
I experienced no cons whatsoever
If you are a hard gainer and want to build muscle and put on a few pounds then this is definately the weight gainer you would want to buy. This is the only gainer I will be purchasing from now on.
  • Packs On Mass

Copyright © 2015 All rights reserved. All trademarks are property of their respective owners.