After Shock Critical Mass

By: Myogenix

After Shock Critical Mass is a Weight Gainer manufactured by Myogenix. It is a protein based supplement that has additional calories from carbohydrates and fats. It is meant to add additional calories for the body in order to assist with weight and muscle mass gain.

Does After Shock Critical Mass work?
Click to Expand

Over last Christmas break I decided that I wanted to get as big as I could in 5 weeks between school ending the middle of December and having to go back the middle of January. I'm about 6'2" and when I got home I was around 190 lbs. I was using NO Shotgun pre-workout and I had a couple of servings left of Aftershock that I used the first week and a half. After the fist two weeks I was around 195.

When I ran out of the Aftershock...

When I ran out of the Aftershock I went to the store and told the guy I just wanted to get bigger and he suggested Aftershock Critical Mass. I continued to take NO Shotgun pre-workout, and used this post-workout instead of the regular Aftershock. My diet was pretty good, I wasn't eating too particularly healthy but it usually looked something like:
Breakfast - 4 egg omelet w/cheese and meat
Lunch - meat and veggies
Snack - pb&j sandwich
Pre-Workout - NO Shotgun
Post-Workout - After Shock Critical Mass w/milk
Dinner - meat, baked potato, veggies, sometimes ice cream milkshake for desert

This product seemed to make a huge difference in my goal to gain weight. After switching from regular Aftershock to this, I got up to 207 by the time I left back for school. I put on a lot of size through my arms and chest, but I also put on size around my midsection. However, if used correctly for a lean bulk I believe this product could help with a lean bulk without having to suffer the same gut I put on. But I didn't know much about nutrition and my main goal was just size. I was also the strongest I have ever been, but I don't believe that was all due to the ASCM.

I remember the taste being pretty good. Nothing like a Syntha-6 or something like that, but still it was enjoyable. I also don't remember having that bad of gas from this product which was another plus from a high protein supplement.

My only two complaints with this product are the price, and the mixability. It cost me $40 a tub and using full servings there are only 15 servings per tub. However, the ingredient profile is very impressive and you could probably get away with using less than a full serving to make a tub last longer. When I talk about the mixability, I don't mean how it mixed with the fluid but how hard it was to actually get it all together. I was mixing 3 big scoops with 16 oz. of milk and I could not get it all to fit and mix in my Blender Bottle. I was having to mix it all in an actual blender which isn't the worst thing in the world, but also not the most convenient.

Overall this product did exactly what I was looking for it to do at the time. It helped me put on size and weight in a very short period of time. I would absolutely recommend this to anyone that wants to put on weight and has a hard time doing it.
  • Hard To Mix In Shaker

• Cray

Nice review bro!

Did you ever have issues with the smell? I just finished a tub of this myself and in my review I mentioned how friggin heinous the smell is. Ugh.
  • mpcatch7

Appreciate it Cray!

And no I have never had any problem with the smell. What flavor did you have? I had the chocolate flavor and I didn't remember anything unusually bad about it before. I just opened the leftovers of my second tub and thinks it smells pretty good actually.
  • ThatGuyFerg
    Rep: 0
    September 12, 2010

Good review man made me consider buying this! But hey do you think if i used this as a meal replacement I could skip gaining fat and just mostly muscle?

My god this stuff tasted so good and definately the best weight gainer I have taken so far.
Pros-
Packs on mass
builds muscle
tastes very good
you definately get what you pay for
cons-
I experienced no cons whatsoever
If you are a hard gainer and want to build muscle and put on a few pounds then this is definately the weight gainer you would want to buy. This is the only gainer I will be purchasing from now on.
Pros-
Packs on mass
builds muscle
tastes very good
you definately get what you pay for
cons-
I experienced no cons whatsoever
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Packs On Mass

I purchased the 5.62 Lb tub of the Chocolate Milk Shake Flavor. Critical Mass is a weight gainer with protein, carbs, and creatine.

Ingredients:
Total Fat: 15 g
Calories: 700
Calories from fat: 140
Carbs: 91 G
Protein: 52 G

There is chelated creatine, waxymass for carbs, and two types of whey protein. There is also glutamine for recovery.

You can get Optimum Serious Mass for about $40 for a 12 lb bag so After Shock Critical Mass gets a ding for value.

Ingredients:
Total Fat: 15 g
Calories: 700
Calories from fat: 140
Carbs: 91 G
Protein: 52 G

This product is very effective. I took 3 scoops (one serving) after every workout and one scoop in the mornings before starting my day. I have a rigorous workout schedule involving hard cardio and weightlifting and Critical Mass provided me with energy, carbs, and proper recovery. I did notice some lean muscle gains. I stacked Critical Mass with NLA Performance T-BLAST. Natural Testosterone boosters boost your natural testosterone levels making you more anabolic and allowing your muscles to absorb and utilize protein better.

Mixability and Taste are both very good. Put three scoops in a shaker, pour in some milk, shake it all up and you are good. It is a tad big clumpy but nothing to shun you away from this product.

This a great gainer but is a bit pricey.

• Tastes Great
  • Value

This is my first review on the site. In high school and college my favorite way to put on muscle was to do a serious bulk then cut down. I decided to get back into shape after my 29th birthday but first decided to go on a big bulk before cutting down so I could build a good muscular base.

MyoGenix AfterShock Critical Mass is a gainer that I picked up for $45 on Bodybuilding.com. The value is nothing special because there is only 15 servings per 5.62 lb tub at 3 scoops per serving. The directions say to take 3 scoops as many times a day (obviously they want you to crush through your tub and buy another). I was taking 2 scoops in the morning and 3 scoops after workouts.

Here is thing people care most about in protein and weight gainer shakes: Taste and Mixability
-The Chocolate Milk Shake flavor mixes well in Milk or Water and tastes great.

Decent ingredient profile:
1 serving contains:
52 g of lactose free protein
chelated creatine
glutamine
18 g fat
700 calories
15g sugar

Overall this gainer was at best OK. I did not notice full recovery after workouts. I did notice an increase in muscle mass over the short course of using this product.

It is always tough to differentiate which protein/gainer works better than the other so I give this one a 'Maybe' because it tastes well but is not the most effective out there.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Puts On Weight
  • Tastes Great
  • Value

I am on my 3rd container of After Shock Critical Mass. I have to say that this weight gainer is the best that i have taken. I take the weight gainer after my workout and sometimes in the beginning of my day. I have increased Lean MASS by 6 pounds with only this weight gainer. IT provides great Muscle Gain without the fat gain. I do very little cardio, and still did not experience any fat gain on this product. My arms have definately gotten bigger and my chest has gotten real tight and hard. I get alot of positive comments and feedback from ladies about my hard chest after the use of this product.

The tast of this product is great! I used chocolate, but got annoyed half way throught the product. But then swtiched to cookies n cream and loved it! i never get tired of the taste anf recomment it to anyone looking for a great weight gainer!

It is hard to mix in a normal shaker, but if you have a blending shaker, it mixes very easy. Also it mixes well in a blender and provides no clumps!
cypfootball
Rep: -1

overall good product i was 150 pounds now i am 160 gained 10 pounds in 1 month. I reached my goals with this mass gaining product im already on my second tub chocolate shake flavor is good it taste like chocolate cake batter.

• AB1214
    January 31, 2010

Did you see more of a fatty weight gain, or muscle mass gain, because i took up your mass by mhp and loves it but from the 15 pounds i put on in the time i took it i gain some fat and lost my abs a little

This is my favorite gainer protein shake. After shock critical mass by Myogenix has a ton of BCAAs, Aminos, Waxymaize carbs, and glutamine for recover. It also boasts a nice protein blend.

The chocolate flavor tastes good but mixes poor. You end up have to fight through some daunting clumps of protein powder.

Take 3 scoops before bed and you are waking up thicker, stronger, and more recovered.

• lava135
    August 22, 2012

Sorry - my bad on the neg rep - thought it was by that clown brobroking. Although posting 11 reviews at a pop doesn't endear you to anyone here.

Copyright © 2014 SupplementReviews.com. All rights reserved.