Recon Reviews

By: Muscle Pharm

Overall Score   How is this Calculated?

Ranks #3 of 15 (better than 86%) in
Amino Acids > Recovery

Recon is a Recovery Product manufactured by Muscle Pharm. It is an amino acid based product that is designed to assist in workout recovery.
COMPARE SIMILAR

horsty
  September 7, 2015

-Introduction-
Ever since I started working out on a weekly basis, I have been looking for a product to take after my workout to keep those doms away. Being that my training is lower rep(5x5), I tend not to get as sore; however I decided to do a version of German Volume Training(GVT) which was two workouts a week which one consisted of 10x10 squat, bench, & weighted pull ups and the other deadlift, military press, & row. This training unlike any other workout before, this left me wanted to live my life in a motorized scooter. Because of the soreness I was facing, I decided to try a post workout recovery supplement, which led me to MusclePharm's Recon. I have used post workout supplements before like BioRhythm AfterGlow, Myogenix Aftershock, and MHP Dark Matter which all of them did a pretty decent job, Dark Matter worked especially well for me. Being the kind of person I am, I wanted someone new to try, so Recon it was.

-Ingredient Profile- (9/10)
To keep this short, I'm going to start with what Recon doesn't have, I'm kidding; however Recon seems to have the kitchen sink thrown in with the dishwasher. Recon has a lot of ingredients, however it differentiates itself from other supplements like it by not having any protein(which is not a bad thing). I pulled some info off of Bodybuilding.com to show what this supplement is designed to do.

Total serving size is 40 grams, and it is a proprietary blend so there is no knowing how much of what is in here for the most part.

STAGE 1:REPLENISHMENT
(Carb-Max): Glucose Polymers, Dextrose, Inulin: These carbs is used to spike your insulin levels to aid in nutrient uptake to gets all available nutrients to the muscles as quickly as possible.

STAGE 2: REBUILD
(Anabolic Primer Matrix):
3:1:2 BCAA Blend: L-Leucine, L-Isoleucine, L-Valine
EAA Complex: Glycine, L-Threonine, L-Lysine HCL, L-Phenylalanine, L-Methionine, L-Tryptophan
These BCAAs and EAAs are used for rebuilding muscles and aiding in recovery.

STAGE 3: RECOVERY
(Accelerator Matrix): L-Glutamine, Taurine, L-Arginine, L-Pyroglutamic Acid.
The most abundant amino acid in the body, glutamine, is known for its immune-boosting and muscle-building properties.* RE-CON contains over 5 grams of glutamine along with several powerful, recovery-promoting agents.

STAGE 4: RECHARGE
(Anti-Stress & Adaptogen Matrix):Ascorbic Acid, Dimethylglycine HCL (DMG), Phosphatidyl Lecithin Complex, L-Cystine, Gynostemna Pentaphyllum. The Recharge Matrix contains several specific compounds to help support healthy cortisol levels, which may help limit its ability to inhibit growth.

STAGE 5: REFUEL
(Muscle Extend Matrix): CarnoSyn Beta Alanine and Citrulline Malate have been suggested to help replenish cellular energy and fuel ongoing muscular contractions for more intense training sessions. Prepare muscle cells for the next training session.

STAGE 6: RELOAD
(Insulinogenic Matrix): Selenium Yeast, Vanadyl Sulfate, Chromium Polynicotinate, Fenugreek Extract (Containing 4-Hydroxyisoleucine), Gymnema Sylvestre.
Insulin is the most anabolic hormone in the body. The RE-CON nutrient "drivers", insulinogenics and insulin mimetics, may help support recovery agent's movement from the bloodstream into muscle cells. Its Reload Matrix acts as a hyper-loaded nutrient delivery system, promoting nutrient uptake for muscle growth and repair.

STAGE 7: REGENERATE
(Muscle Detoxifier Matrix): Cranberry Extract, Nettle (Urtica Dioica) Leaf, Dandelion (Taraxacum Officinale) Root, Bearberry (Arctostaphylos) Berry, (Arctostaphylos), Saw Palmetto (Berry), Bromelain, Astaxanthin Complex.
The Regenerate Matrix contains several cellular detoxifiers that support free-radical scavengers for removing metabolic waste which promotes recovery and your cells health even further.

Like I said, it has everything. Overall I love the ingredients of Recon, would I like if they disclosed how much of what is in here? Yes, but that is not going to happen. These ingredients seems to work well together for myself in aiding in recovery and building muscle.

Since this does not have protein in it, I would have protein shake one hour after taking Recon.

-Taste/Mixability/Dosing-(8/10)
Had all three flavors(Orange Mango, Fruit Punch & Watermelon) and they are drinkable, but nothing great. I didn't care for the taste, but that doesn't matter too much to me anyways. Mixability was good, 12 oz of water in my shaker bottle, add a scoop of this and it blends easily. 30 servings total if using 1 full scoop at 40 grams. There are two ways to dose this, 1/2 scoop of 20 grams for lighter workouts and 1 scoop of 40 grams for more intense workouts. I found that 1/2 scoop worked well, but a 1 full scoop was always my preference. If you half scoop it on lighter workouts, you can extend the bottle life quite a bit.

-Effectiveness- (9/10)
I'll break this down into two sections with a full scoop and half scoop rating:

Recovery: Full Scoop (9.5/10) Soreness was easily cut in half, or non existent while using Recon. I would normally have my Sunday 10x10 workout, and the next morning wake up feeling like I couldn't get out of bed. Taking this after my workouts always kept the soreness down for me, making my life a little bit better.

Recovery: Half scoop (8/10) When I used a half scoop on my 5x5 training it worked pretty well, not as much soreness but it was still there. I was surprised that it still worked so well at half scoop, but like I said a full scoop worked so well I almost always went that route.

Muscle Building: Full Scoop (9/10) I was doing GVT while on this, so I was most likely going to build muscle regardless of using Recon, however I do believe that this aided in building muscle faster by shortening my recovery time.

Muscle Building: Half Scoop (N/A) Didn't use a half scoop on a consistent basis to go into detail on its muscle building properties.

Overall this has been the most effective post workout supplement for myself. It has most of the ingredients I'm looking for in a post workout shake, and the results it delivers keep me coming back to it.

-Value- (9/10)
$30(Amazon) gets you 30 servings, that is not a bad price especially for what you are getting.

-Side Effects-

-Conclusion-
MusclePharm was one of the first supplement company's that I became familiar with; however I never liked too many of their products until I came across Recon. I will continue to use this anytime I need a recovery aid for my workouts and I would highly recommend this to anyone looking for a recovery supplement. The ingredients combined with the results it delivers make this a worthwhile supplement to add to any stack.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Maximizes Post-workout And Repair
  • Blocks Stress-induced And Post-workout Catabolism
    Cassie
      August 19, 2013

First time reviewer after finding this site through Google a long time ago.

Thought I'd write in a review as I've just finished a tub of this and know I like to see others opinions when looking for supplements.

Apart from BCAA blends, this is one of the first post-workout products I've tried. I go to the gym 5 or 6 days a week and for the bulk of my time using Recon, I was completing Shortcut To Shred from bb.com. I really just wanted something to help with recovery after a hard workout. The store I purchased my Recon from only had the watermelon flavour in stock, so I didn't have a lot of choice. The back of the pack says to use something like 1/2 a scoop to a full scoop. When using a full scoop in a large shaker, I found it to be almost undrinkable thanks to a really strong chemical taste. I know it is chemicals, but it was so overpowering and hard to stomach I stopped using it for a while. I discovered though if you use a little bit less, the chemical taste pretty much goes away. Unfortunately by the time I discovered this, I'd already suffered through most of the tub.

I really like this product, and i'm sure in a different flavour or lower dose it would be great. It's a little on the expensive side, but it gets the job done.

I'll probably try it again down the line, though am trialing another product next.
     Pros:
     Cons:
    • Maximizes Post-workout And Repair
    • Boosts Immune And Recovery Mechanisms
    LiftsHard
      April 26, 2012

Hey guys, so this is my first review on this site, thought id just share my review on Recon.
    All i can say is wow, this is a solid post supp. Like nothing iv had before.

Effectiveness(8/10):
    On this stuff you do not feel sore the next day after gym at all! Your muscles don't feel stiff at all and it gives you really great energy without a crash. I found that if taken straight after gym, you keep your pump for quite a few hours after gym which is cool. This stuff doesn't bloat you like many of these other post workouts, its not packed with creo, so you won't have to worry about water retention, but this stuff gives you a nice vascular look to your muscles. I took one scoop after every gym session and saw pretty good results.

Taste(6/10):
    Its not really the best tasting... I had the fruit punch flavor so maybe the others are better, but ya, its not like you can just ignore the taste. It is tolerable, and you will get used to it, but defiantly the 1st few days you probably won't enjoy the taste. It mixes really easy, no gross foam or anything and its not thick at all.

Price(7/10):
    Its a pretty pricey supp, but then again the tub that it comes in is really big, and if you like me using it 5 days a week with 1 scoop a day, it lasts really long, so i rate you do get your moneys worth in the long run, its just coughing up the price tag straight off thats a bit rough, but if uv got the cash, id say go for it.

Overall this is a pretty good post guys, il definitely get another tub in the future, its worth a try i rate, and you will see pretty good results..
    Well hope this review kinda helped a few people :)
     Pros:
     Cons:
    • Maximizes Post-workout And Repair
    Tsunami2k
      February 11, 2012

Muscle Pharm has actually created an interesting post-workout product that I thoroughly enjoyed using!
    Let me start by saying I didn't use the one that is pictured, and not the one with the new look that is currently on the market, but I believe the ingredient profile is pretty much the same.

Ingredient Profile : Serving Size = 40 grams
    Calories : 110
    Total Carbs : 27g
    Sugars : 7g
    Higher than daily recommended doses of Vitamin C, E, and B-6.
    MP's proprietary 'Muscle Rebuilding' Blend: Way too much to list, but some of the usuals like BCAA's, Beta-Alanine, L-Glutamine, Taruine, Citrulline Malate etc...
    And a lot of other really interesting ingredients that wouuld take all day to type out.

Value : 7/10 - On average, you can find this online for around $37 for the 30 serving tub. Considering you only use this on workout days, it can last around 45 days. I got lucky and got it for 7 dollars when GNC had made a mistake on their online pricing sales. That was actually the only reason I bought it. Needless to say, GNC noticed the glitch after 2 hours and had to honor the 16 people who noticed the deal!

Taste/Mixability : 8/10 - I had the Fruit Punch flavor, which isn't something I'm a particular fan of, but honestly I liked it. It didn't taste like chemicals, and the flavor wasn't overwhelming whatsoever. Just make sure you do mix enough water though, or else it tastes really sweet. It is a fine powder that mixed VERY easily I might add.

Effectiveness : 8/10 - This really caught me off guard on how useful it ended up being for me. I had the tub sitting around for 2 months, and finally decided to give it a try. The first two times I used it I honestly thought it didn't do anything for me. But at the time I wasn't realizing how I wasn't as sore the following days. That was the most impressive aspect of this product in my opinion. I felt like my body recovered much quicker than normal, and I was able to take less off days because of it. I've used other post-workout products, such as Afterglow (My favorite), ON's Recovery 2:1, and Aftershock, so I have others to compare it to.
    I found this most effective when I used it intra and post workout. I would put a scoop in a full water bottle, sip half of it throughout my workout, then once I was done I would pound the rest. A couple weird things about this product is that it contains ingredients that I would normally consider more benefitual before a workout, like Beta-Alanine and Citrulline. I would get the 'beta-tingles' 30 minutes after consuming it...
    Another plus was how I didn't crash like I sometimes do after my workouts. I've looked at the ingredients over and over to see if it had some form of a stimulant like caffeine, but it doesn't, so I'm not sure what contributes to that ability to be honest.
    The only thing this product is missing is protein. But I don't believe that is what it was formulated for. It is basically setup to compliment your protein shake. But then again, I would have a full belly of liquid after consuming this and a protein shake, leaving me with that 'gross stomach' feeling on the ride home from the gym, but that wasn't a big deal.

Overall : 8/10 - I surprised in regards to how this product could work so well for me. I've only had experience with one other Muscle Pharm product, which was shred matrix, and I absolutely hated it. Never even got around to finishing the bottle because I wasn't feeling anything or seeing any effects.
    Another negative preconeption that I had was about their heavy marketing techniques, especially when I watched the UFC fights, so I had grouped them along with BSN and MuscleTech.
    But it goes to show that you shouldn't judge a book by its cover.
    So to summarize, this product allowed me to workout longer when used as an intra, helped with recovery post-workout, and I actually did increase in strength during the time that I used it, but I can't pin-point Recon being responsible for that since I'm on a handful of other supplements.
    If you see it on sale, give it whirl!
     Pros:
     Cons:
    • Maximizes Post-workout And Repair
    • Helps With Soreness
    • Helped With Preventing A Crash
    • Taste Pretty Good
    • Not A Stand-alone Product
    McGilla
      September 13, 2011

This supplement is a great supplement for Amino Acids. I feel the ratios are very well done, with the exception of the amount of Maltodextrin...seems a bit high.

Mixability and taste - 4/10 - This stuff does NOT mix well. It does get me an extra workout though, because I have to shake it for about 10 minutes before it's finally all dissolved. The Fruit Punch taste is sort of chalky as well. Probably on part with NOXplode in terms of consistency. Prefer a bunch of other supplements in this category.

Effectiveness - 8/10 - The ingrediend profile is pretty nice as with other MusclePharm products. They give you a @#&* ton of mgs of everything, in Recon, a bunch come from Maltodextrin however. My tub was also after the removal of Suma Root, which I find to be a VERY effective supplement, so it loses a point right there. The Amino profile is very good however with all the key essentials and BCAAs represented well. I felt a good deal of recovery from this product, in comparison to another Amino MP supplement, Bullet Proof, which I was very disappointed with. A bit of protein added to sweeten the pot would probably bump back that lost Suma Root subtraction, but I digress.

Value - I take half a scoop on my lighter workout days and a full scoop on heavier days so this is on pace to last me 2+ months. I paid $33, so 2+ months is not bad at all.

Overall, I would recommend Recon as a good intra/post supplement for muscle recovery. There may be better out there, but I found the value and results are good for me.
    • Does Not Mix Well
    shredded2424
      July 25, 2011

ABSOLUTELY love this product. I've heard a lot of people say that they do not like the taste, but boy not me. I mix mine in red gator/powerade and love it. It mixes well for me, and I have never had even the slightst issue with clumping.
    This is the only MusclePharm product I have tried so far; have been meaning to try more but they aren't the most affordable brand out there, which, in my opinion, is okay, because ya usually get what ya pay for. Anyway, I had the fruit punch floavor, and like I stated, had absolutely no problems with it at all. I told my father how much I liked it so he bought a tub, and after trying it, he disliked the taste so much that he gave me his tub!(but he mixed his in water). Anyway, I haven't tried the watermelon or orange-mango flavors but want to. Now onto the actual make-up of the procuct:

((Servings Per Container 30))
    Total Carbohydrates 20g 7%

Glycine, L-Threonine, L-Lysine HCL, L-Phenylalanine, L-Methionine, L-Tryptophan

Recovery Accelerator
    L-Glutamine, L-Arginine, L-Pyroglutamic Acid

Muscle Extend Matrix
    Beta-Alanine, Citrulline Malate, Suma Pfaffia Pariculate) Root), Ginger Extract (Zingiber Officinale)(Root)

Muscle Pharm Recon Anti-Stress And Adaptogen Matrix
    Ascorbic Acid, Phosphatidyl Lecithin Complex, L-Cystine, Dimethylglycine (DMG), Gynostemma Pentaphyllum
    Muscle Pharm Recon Muscle Detoxifier
    Cranberry Extract, Nettle (Urtica Dioica) Leaf, Dandelion (Taraxacum Officinale) Root, Bearberry (Arctostaphylos Uva-Ursi) (Leaf), Saw Palmetto (Berry), Bromelain, Astaxanthin Complex

Reload Matrix (Insulinogenic)
    Fenugreek Extract (Containing 4-Hydroxyisoleucine), Gymnema Sylvestre, Vanadyl Sulfate, Chromium Polynicotinate

Some really awesome ingredients in here!! Too many to cover. No wonder this stuff retails at about $60. Anyway, I would most definately recommend this stuff. The only downside in my opinion is that I do not believe this product has any creatine in it, but i really could care less, creatines dirt cheap and the other ingredients in there more than make up for it. Good & safe lifting everyone. (Research before buying)
     Pros:
     Cons:
    • Maximizes Post-workout And Repair
    • Boosts Immune And Recovery Mechanisms
    • Blocks Stress-induced And Post-workout Catabolism
    • Scavenges Ellular Pollution And Rempove Metabolic Waste
    • Helps With Soreness
      andrew17019
        March 29, 2011

Recon (or Re-Con as the new packages are marked) is a great recovery product that supplies BCAAs as well as other herbal additives and EAAs.

Works as advertised, cutting down on recovery times and decreasing soreness. I haven't had an issue with soreness at all while using this product. I will say that on an effectiveness scale this is very good.

Mixability is so-so. You have to really shake this hard to mix it up, and it still tastes a little grainy when mixed at the recommended amount. The taste itself is ok, the flavor is great, but it has the heavy vitamin taste that I usually refer to as "ground up Flinstones kids vitamins", since that's exactly what this tastes like.

Because it's a little heavy, and it has a weird taste I wouldn't recommend this during your workout. I take SciVation's Xtend during my workout, and I take this or Dark Matter post-workout, depending on whether I'm cutting or gaining.

The downside to this product is that it doesn't contain creatine or protein like many other post-workouts. The upside is that it's low-calorie (80 total), so if you're looking for a good post-workout for replenishing your cut or cardio, this is works quit well.

Most supps don't last as long as they claim at the recommended dosage, but I will say that the amount supplied lasted me about an extra ten days past what's advertised (30 servings).

A little pricey, but it does last a long time taking once scoop post-workout. This is a great product to take during a cut, but it's obviously not standalone product. Works great along with other Muscle Pharm products, such as Battle Fuel and Assault.
       Pros:
       Cons:
      • Maximizes Post-workout And Repair
      chochanegra
      Rep: 0
        January 29, 2011

I was off from work for the last 2 weeks and spent 12 of the 14 days in the gym hittin it hard to make up for lost time. It was a great test for Recon and I must say it passed with flying colors. I was able to work a 6 day split, only taking off Sunday for both weeks with no adverse affects. The consitant use of Assault for pre-workout and Recon for Post-workout gave me all the energy and recovery needed to kill it for up to 2 hours per day and recover completely to do it again the next day. I woke up each morning with little or no soarness and was ready and pumped to do it all over again. Here is what the split looked like: Monday 10/4 - Chest-Tri's Tuesday 10/5 - Legs/Calves Wednesday 10/6 - Back-Bi's/Abs Thursday 10/7 - Shoulders/Traps Friday 10/8 - Chest-Tri's/Calves Saturday 10/9 - Legs/Abs Sunday 10/10 - OFF Monday 10/11 - Back-Bi's/Calves Tuesday 10/12 - Shoulders/Traps/Abs Wednesday 10/13 - Chest Thursday 10/14 - Bi's-Tri's Friday 10/15 - Legs/Abs/Calves Saturday 10/16 - Back Sunday 10/17 - OFF Overall I feel that Recon has given me exactly what I was looking for: A good solid profile of all the supps I need, the ability to recover more quickly to get back in the gym in the shape I need to be to perform at my best, and relative good taste that I don't mind drinking ever day. In my opinion MP nailed it!
       Pros:
       Cons:
      • Maximizes Post-workout And Repair
      • Boosts Immune And Recovery Mechanisms
      • Blocks Stress-induced And Post-workout Catabolism
      • Scavenges Ellular Pollution And Rempove Metabolic Waste
      • I Gave It A 10 In Value Cause I Found It Bb.com With 20% Off
      ckluh
      Rep: -12
        December 9, 2010

Muscle Pharm is an up and comer for good supplements, Recon is a very solid recovery supp, it's taste is pretty decent (watermelon) and i have almost no DOMS the day after which is legit. it's profile has some very sought after ingredients such as: Suma root and Citrulline Malate.. let alone the full array of pretty much everything you need, vit c, decent carbs, and all the regular BCAAs (albeit in a ratio i've rarely seen if it all).... if you want a decently priced recovery supplement that works well, go with Recon
       Pros:
       Cons:
      • Maximizes Post-workout And Repair
      CamelE
        March 3, 2010

First off, I will just say this review wasn't done for a free t-shirt, and I have this product (I have a picture of it to prove it). Next, I wanna say how surprised I was with Muscle Pharm. For a new brand with tons and tons of hype, I couldn't be sure if they were legit or not. Well, they are. This is a great product. The flavor is fruit punch, but it took me a minute to figure out what it reminded me of, then it hit me. Smarties. If you ground up Smarties and made a drink out of it, this is it. Even has that "chalky" aftertaste, but can't say I dislike it. It's got glutamine, Beta Alanine, EAAs and Bcaas, and some other really good ingredients in it. I also love how it's got a high amount of Vitamin-C. It's a 3:1:2 ratio, but its the ratio for Bcaas, not a carb Protein ratio. The negatives: it only has 20g carbs (maltodextrin & dextrose) and it doesn't have any Protein. It also only has 80 calories, so I wouldn't say it's ideal for building muscle or it's the "Ultimate post-workout drink", but it definitely helps with recovery. Because I don't think it's a stand-alone PWO drink, I find it a tad pricey. I drink Xtend during my workout, then down a serving of this right when I'm done. 20-30 minutes later, I take my 2:1:1 Recovery shake. If you're cutting or trying to lose weight, this would be a good choice for post-workout as it's low in calories but still replenishes glycogen levels. If you're looking for an additional supplement to speed recovery, check this product out. I'll be looking to try other Muscle Pharm products in the future and will buy this again.
       Pros:
       Cons:
      • Good Post-workout Choice
      • Helps With Soreness
      • Smarties Taste
      • Not A Stand-alone Product
      • Little Pricey

Copyright © 2016 SupplementReviews.com. All rights reserved. All trademarks are property of their respective owners.