Recon

By Muscle Pharm
Recon Muscle Pharm
8.1/10
(Weighted average based on 15 Reviews)

Ranks #8 of 44 (better than 84%)
in Protein > Post-Workout Recovery Formulas
Dashboard Reviews Discussion Related Prices

this product allowed me to workout longer

Muscle Pharm has actually created an interesting post-workout product that I thoroughly enjoyed using!
Let me start by saying I didn't use the one that is pictured, and not the one with the new look that is currently on the market, but I believe the ingredient profile is pretty much the same.

Ingredient Profile : Serving Size = 40 grams
Calories : 110
Total Carbs : 27g
Sugars : 7g
Higher than daily recommended doses of Vitamin C, E, and B-6.
MP's proprietary 'Muscle Rebuilding' Blend: Way too much to list, but some of the usuals like BCAA's, Beta-Alanine, L-Glutamine, Taruine, Citrulline Malate etc...
And a lot of other really interesting ingredients that wouuld take all day to type out.

Value : 7/10 - On average, you can find this online for around $37 for the 30 serving tub. Considering you only use this on workout days, it can last around 45 days. I got lucky and got it for 7 dollars when GNC had made a mistake on their online pricing sales. That was actually the only reason I bought it. Needless to say, GNC noticed the glitch after 2 hours and had to honor the 16 people who noticed the deal!

Taste/Mixability : 8/10 - I had the Fruit Punch flavor, which isn't something I'm a particular fan of, but honestly I liked it. It didn't taste like chemicals, and the flavor wasn't overwhelming whatsoever. Just make sure you do mix enough water though, or else it tastes really sweet. It is a fine powder that mixed VERY easily I might add.

Effectiveness : 8/10 - This really caught me off guard on how useful it ended up being for me. I had the tub sitting around for 2 months, and finally decided to give it a try. The first two times I used it I honestly thought it didn't do anything for me. But at the time I wasn't realizing how I wasn't as sore the following days. That was the most impressive aspect of this product in my opinion. I felt like my body recovered much quicker than normal, and I was able to take less off days because of it. I've used other post-workout products, such as Afterglow (My favorite), ON's Recovery 2:1, and Aftershock, so I have others to compare it to.
I found this most effective when I used it intra and post workout. I would put a scoop in a full water bottle, sip half of it throughout my workout, then once I was done I would pound the rest. A couple weird things about this product is that it contains ingredients that I would normally consider more benefitual before a workout, like Beta-Alanine and Citrulline. I would get the 'beta-tingles' 30 minutes after consuming it...
Another plus was how I didn't crash like I sometimes do after my workouts. I've looked at the ingredients over and over to see if it had some form of a stimulant like caffeine, but it doesn't, so I'm not sure what contributes to that ability to be honest.
The only thing this product is missing is protein. But I don't believe that is what it was formulated for. It is basically setup to compliment your protein shake. But then again, I would have a full belly of liquid after consuming this and a protein shake, leaving me with that 'gross stomach' feeling on the ride home from the gym, but that wasn't a big deal.

Overall : 8/10 - I surprised in regards to how this product could work so well for me. I've only had experience with one other Muscle Pharm product, which was shred matrix, and I absolutely hated it. Never even got around to finishing the bottle because I wasn't feeling anything or seeing any effects.
Another negative preconeption that I had was about their heavy marketing techniques, especially when I watched the UFC fights, so I had grouped them along with BSN and MuscleTech.
But it goes to show that you shouldn't judge a book by its cover.
So to summarize, this product allowed me to workout longer when used as an intra, helped with recovery post-workout, and I actually did increase in strength during the time that I used it, but I can't pin-point Recon being responsible for that since I'm on a handful of other supplements.
If you see it on sale, give it whirl!

Pros:
Cons:
  • Helped With Preventing A Crash
  • Taste Pretty Good
  • Maximizes Post-workout And Repair
  • Helps With Soreness
  • Not A Stand-alone Product

Posted February 11, 2012
Good review. Will definitely have to give this a go when I start my clean bulk here in a couple of months

Posted February 11, 2012
If it wasn't for the price lol... Good review bro

CamSTL

Posted February 11, 2012
Muscle Pharm is one of my favorite Companie. Other than the price ima big fan of Assault and Battle Fuel. Good review, Ill have to try this out sooner or later

Posted February 11, 2012
Very nice reviews I love this stuff as well.

Nice review big dog

Sal

Posted February 12, 2012
Good to hear this review, When I start doing upper body again I will use this tub I picked up for 15 bucks. -hand is healing up well-

CamelE

First off, I will just say this review wasn't done for a free t-shirt, and I have this product (I have a picture of it to prove it). Next, I wanna say how surprised I was with Muscle Pharm. For a new brand with tons and tons of hype, I couldn't be sure if they were legit or not. Well, they are. This is a great product. The flavor is fruit punch, but it took me a minute to figure out what it reminded me of, then it hit me. Smarties. If you ground up Smarties and made a drink out of it, this is it. Even has that "chalky" aftertaste, but can't say I dislike it. It's got glutamine, Beta Alanine, EAAs and Bcaas, and some other really good ingredients in it. I also love how it's got a high amount of Vitamin-C. It's a 3:1:2 ratio, but its the ratio for Bcaas, not a carb Protein ratio. The negatives: it only has 20g carbs (maltodextrin & dextrose) and it doesn't have any Protein. It also only has 80 calories, so I wouldn't say it's ideal for building muscle or it's the "Ultimate post-workout drink", but it definitely helps with recovery. Because I don't think it's a stand-alone PWO drink, I find it a tad pricey. I drink Xtend during my workout, then down a serving of this right when I'm done. 20-30 minutes later, I take my 2:1:1 Recovery shake. If you're cutting or trying to lose weight, this would be a good choice for post-workout as it's low in calories but still replenishes glycogen levels. If you're looking for an additional supplement to speed recovery, check this product out. I'll be looking to try other Muscle Pharm products in the future and will buy this again.

Pros:
Cons:
  • Good Post-workout Choice
  • Helps With Soreness
  • Smarties Taste
  • Not A Stand-alone Product
  • Little Pricey

Posted July 21, 2014
You said it's good for someone who is cutting (which I am doing) and as a good recovery source. But obviously anyone has to take in proteins for their post workout so wouldn't it be better to drink a protein shake and eat carbs rather than drink two individual post workout drinks? Just a question.

McGilla

This supplement is a great supplement for Amino Acids

This supplement is a great supplement for Amino Acids. I feel the ratios are very well done, with the exception of the amount of Maltodextrin...seems a bit high.

Mixability and taste - 4/10 - This stuff does NOT mix...

Mixability and taste - 4/10 - This stuff does NOT mix well. It does get me an extra workout though, because I have to shake it for about 10 minutes before it's finally all dissolved. The Fruit Punch taste is sort of chalky as well. Probably on part with NOXplode in terms of consistency. Prefer a bunch of other supplements in this category.

Effectiveness - 8/10 - The ingrediend profile is pretty nice as with other MusclePharm products. They give you a @#&* ton of mgs of everything, in Recon, a bunch come from Maltodextrin however. My tub was also after the removal of Suma Root, which I find to be a VERY effective supplement, so it loses a point right there. The Amino profile is very good however with all the key essentials and BCAAs represented well. I felt a good deal of recovery from this product, in comparison to another Amino MP supplement, Bullet Proof, which I was very disappointed with. A bit of protein added to sweeten the pot would probably bump back that lost Suma Root subtraction, but I digress.

Value - I take half a scoop on my lighter workout days and a full scoop on heavier days so this is on pace to last me 2+ months. I paid $33, so 2+ months is not bad at all.

Overall, I would recommend Recon as a good intra/post supplement for muscle recovery. There may be better out there, but I found the value and results are good for me.

• Does Not Mix Well
  • Not A Stand-alone Product

It was a great test for Recon and I must say it passed with flying colors

I was off from work for the last 2 weeks and spent 12 of the 14 days in the gym hittin it hard to make up for lost time. It was a great test for Recon and I must say it passed with flying colors. I was able to work a 6 day split, only taking off Sunday for both weeks with no adverse affects. The consitant use of Assault for pre-workout and Recon for Post-workout gave me all the energy and recovery needed to kill it for up to 2 hours per day and recover completely to do it again the next day. I woke up each morning with little or no soarness and was ready and pumped to do it all over again. Here is what the split looked like: Monday 10/4 - Chest-Tri's Tuesday 10/5 - Legs/Calves Wednesday 10/6 - Back-Bi's/Abs Thursday 10/7 - Shoulders/Traps Friday 10/8 - Chest-Tri's/Calves Saturday 10/9 - Legs/Abs Sunday 10/10 - OFF Monday 10/11 - Back-Bi's/Calves Tuesday 10/12 - Shoulders/Traps/Abs Wednesday 10/13 - Chest Thursday 10/14 - Bi's-Tri's Friday 10/15 - Legs/Abs/Calves Saturday 10/16 - Back Sunday 10/17 - OFF Overall I feel that Recon has given me exactly what I was looking for: A good solid profile of all the supps I need, the ability to recover more quickly to get back in the gym in the shape I need to be to perform at my best, and relative good taste that I don't mind drinking ever day. In my opinion MP nailed it!

Pros:
Cons:
  • I Gave It A 10 In Value Cause I Found It Bb.com With 20% Off
  • Maximizes Post-workout And Repair
  • Boosts Immune And Recovery Mechanisms
  • Blocks Stress-induced And Post-workout Catabolism
  • Scavenges Ellular Pollution And Rempove Metabolic Waste

ckluh

Recon is a very solid recovery supp

Muscle Pharm is an up and comer for good supplements, Recon is a very solid recovery supp, it's taste is pretty decent (watermelon) and i have almost no DOMS the day after which is legit. it's profile has some very sought after ingredients such as: Suma root and Citrulline Malate.. let alone the full array of pretty much everything you need, vit c, decent carbs, and all the regular BCAAs (albeit in a ratio i've rarely seen if it all).... if you want a decently priced recovery supplement that works well, go with Recon

Pros:
Cons:
  • Maximizes Post-workout And Repair

Posted December 9, 2010
does it contain any proteins, i couldnt tell fom its supplement facts?

gbganab

Posted December 9, 2010
The only knock I would say is that it does not have any protein. I'll take this right after working out or even during/towards the end and within 30 minutes of my last rep take my protein shake.

Posted December 9, 2010
the best thing about this product that it doesn't have creatine

Posted December 9, 2010
rizkallah, according to muscle pharms rep, the original formula contained whey protein. Muscle Pharm thought they could improve the effectiveness of the product by going to free form amino acids and more specifically tailoring the amino acid profile of the protein it contains by increasing the ones hungry muscles eagerly absorb and eliminating the ones that do nothing for muscle growth. If you look at the label, you'll find 14 essential, branched chain, and other amino acids there. This is equivalent to 25 - 30 gms of Whey Protein, according to the rep.

Overall this is a pretty good post

Hey guys, so this is my first review on this site, thought id just share my review on Recon.
All i can say is wow, this is a solid post supp. Like nothing iv had before.

Effectiveness(8/10):
All i can say is wow, this is a solid post supp. Like nothing iv had before.

Effectiveness(8/10):
On this stuff you do not feel sore the next day after gym at all! Your muscles don't feel stiff at all and it gives you really great energy without a crash. I found that if taken straight after gym, you keep your pump for quite a few hours after gym which is cool. This stuff doesn't bloat you like many of these other post workouts, its not packed with creo, so you won't have to worry about water retention, but this stuff gives you a nice vascular look to your muscles. I took one scoop after every gym session and saw pretty good results.

Taste(6/10):
Its not really the best tasting... I had the fruit punch flavor so maybe the others are better, but ya, its not like you can just ignore the taste. It is tolerable, and you will get used to it, but defiantly the 1st few days you probably won't enjoy the taste. It mixes really easy, no gross foam or anything and its not thick at all.

Price(7/10):
Its a pretty pricey supp, but then again the tub that it comes in is really big, and if you like me using it 5 days a week with 1 scoop a day, it lasts really long, so i rate you do get your moneys worth in the long run, its just coughing up the price tag straight off thats a bit rough, but if uv got the cash, id say go for it.

Overall this is a pretty good post guys, il definitely get another tub in the future, its worth a try i rate, and you will see pretty good results..
Well hope this review kinda helped a few people :)

Pros:
Cons:
  • Maximizes Post-workout And Repair
  • Taste Is Not Great But Not Bad

Some really awesome ingredients in here

ABSOLUTELY love this product. I've heard a lot of people say that they do not like the taste, but boy not me. I mix mine in red gator/powerade and love it. It mixes well for me, and I have never had even the slightst issue with clumping.
This is the only MusclePharm product I have tried so...
This is the only MusclePharm product I have tried so far; have been meaning to try more but they aren't the most affordable brand out there, which, in my opinion, is okay, because ya usually get what ya pay for. Anyway, I had the fruit punch floavor, and like I stated, had absolutely no problems with it at all. I told my father how much I liked it so he bought a tub, and after trying it, he disliked the taste so much that he gave me his tub!(but he mixed his in water). Anyway, I haven't tried the watermelon or orange-mango flavors but want to. Now onto the actual make-up of the procuct:

((Servings Per Container 30))
Total Carbohydrates 20g 7%

Glycine, L-Threonine, L-Lysine HCL, L-Phenylalanine, L-Methionine, L-Tryptophan

Recovery Accelerator
L-Glutamine, L-Arginine, L-Pyroglutamic Acid

Muscle Extend Matrix
Beta-Alanine, Citrulline Malate, Suma Pfaffia Pariculate) Root), Ginger Extract (Zingiber Officinale)(Root)

Muscle Pharm Recon Anti-Stress And Adaptogen Matrix
Ascorbic Acid, Phosphatidyl Lecithin Complex, L-Cystine, Dimethylglycine (DMG), Gynostemma Pentaphyllum
Muscle Pharm Recon Muscle Detoxifier
Cranberry Extract, Nettle (Urtica Dioica) Leaf, Dandelion (Taraxacum Officinale) Root, Bearberry (Arctostaphylos Uva-Ursi) (Leaf), Saw Palmetto (Berry), Bromelain, Astaxanthin Complex

Reload Matrix (Insulinogenic)
Fenugreek Extract (Containing 4-Hydroxyisoleucine), Gymnema Sylvestre, Vanadyl Sulfate, Chromium Polynicotinate

Some really awesome ingredients in here!! Too many to cover. No wonder this stuff retails at about $60. Anyway, I would most definately recommend this stuff. The only downside in my opinion is that I do not believe this product has any creatine in it, but i really could care less, creatines dirt cheap and the other ingredients in there more than make up for it. Good & safe lifting everyone. (Research before buying)

Pros:
Cons:
  • Maximizes Post-workout And Repair
  • Boosts Immune And Recovery Mechanisms
  • Blocks Stress-induced And Post-workout Catabolism
  • Scavenges Ellular Pollution And Rempove Metabolic Waste
  • Helps With Soreness

Posted July 25, 2011
    Nice review,I just wish it had protein:(

A little pricey, but it does last a long time taking once scoop post-workou

Recon (or Re-Con as the new packages are marked) is a great recovery product that supplies BCAAs as well as other herbal additives and EAAs.

Works as advertised, cutting down on recovery times and decreasing soreness. I haven't had an issue with soreness at all while using this product. I will say that on an effectiveness scale this is very good.

Mixability is so-so. You have to really shake this hard to mix it up, and it still tastes a little grainy when mixed at the recommended amount. The taste itself is ok, the flavor is great, but it has the heavy vitamin taste that I usually refer to as "ground up Flinstones kids vitamins", since that's exactly what this tastes like.

Because it's a little heavy, and it has a weird taste I wouldn't recommend this during your workout. I take SciVation's Xtend during my workout, and I take this or Dark Matter post-workout, depending on whether I'm cutting or gaining.

The downside to this product is that it doesn't contain creatine or protein like many other post-workouts. The upside is that it's low-calorie (80 total), so if you're looking for a good post-workout for replenishing your cut or cardio, this is works quit well.

Most supps don't last as long as they claim at the recommended dosage, but I will say that the amount supplied lasted me about an extra ten days past what's advertised (30 servings).

A little pricey, but it does last a long time taking once scoop post-workout. This is a great product to take during a cut, but it's obviously not standalone product. Works great along with other Muscle Pharm products, such as Battle Fuel and Assault.

Pros:
    Cons:
    • Maximizes Post-workout And Repair
    • Taste Is Not Great But Not Bad

Post-workout and recovery has never be better

This is the best stuff I have taken Post-workout and recovery has never be better. Ather taking this I fell better that before muscle soreness is all most gone taste great and mixs very well. I stack Recon with Kre-Alkalyn this will be in my supplement staple year to come. This is a must have.

Pros:
    Cons:
    • Maximizes Post-workout And Repair
    • Boosts Immune And Recovery Mechanisms
    • Blocks Stress-induced And Post-workout Catabolism
    • Scavenges Ellular Pollution And Rempove Metabolic Waste

Overall a very solid product

Recon has been one of my favorite post workout supps. I have taken many post workout supps and this was very effective in recovery and muscle building. The only downfall is there is NO PROTEIN blends so you will need to add in protein somehow. Also i stacked this with Assault and had very good results. Also a downfall was the taste was very chalky and didnt have the best after taste. But overall a very solid product.

Pros:
      Cons:
      • Maximizes Post-workout And Repair

Posted April 20, 2010
      Contains no protein? Don't you realize that amino acids are the building blocks of protein? The label clearly states that this product contains 14 different amino acids... aka "protein". Re-con contains the equivalent of 25 - 30 gms of whey protein in every serving according to their rep. The original formula actually contained whey protein, but it needed to be broken down by the digestive system, which takes time, and quite a number of amino acids in Whey protein aren't utilized by muscles at all. Muscle Pharm believed they could improve the effectiveness of the product by going to free form amino acids, and tailoring the amino acid profile to provide muscles with those which meet the demands of hungry muscle. The result is easier assimilation, less work for the digestive system, and faster delivery where its needed, when its needed. There is no need for additional protein supplementation when taking this product, as it contains amino acids, the building blocks of protein, in a profile that depleted muscles are most hungry for after your workout.