Combat Reviews

By: Muscle Pharm

Overall Score   How is this Calculated?

Ranks #12 of 18 (better than 35%) in
Protein > Casein Protein

Combat is a Casein Protein Powder manufactured by Muscle Pharm. It utilizes the slowest digesting form of protein. Often used for a time released version of protein, it will help increase muscle recovery and strength.
(Amount not disclosed)

Rapidly digested form of protein rich in amino acids that helps support lean body mass gains and muscle protein synthesis.

(Amount not disclosed)

Purest form of whey protein that maximizes protein synthesis and minimizes muscle breakdown with almost no carbs or fats.

September 14, 2015

I wasn't sure about this product since previously I had been taking ON Whey Isolate. However, I bought this product at Costco since they had a sale. I believe it was $5 off MusclePharm combat (65 serving container). And I can say now that this is a great product. Will be buying more in the future.

There are 5 different types of protein (Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Hydrolysate, Micellar Casein, Egg Albumin). They all release protein at different times and feed muscles over a course of 8hrs. Also contained is 5g of naturally occurring BCAAs, bonded to the proteins. I love the fact that it is low in fat. Only 1.5g of fat per serving. Other proteins out there have 3g of fat on average.

Taste/Mixability/Dosing 9/10

Great tasting product. I've only tried cookies n' cream since Costco only sells that flavor. Would recommend cookies n' cream. Mixes very well in my blender bottle, even the crappy one I have. Love the fact that it has 25g of protein and 5g of BCAAs per scoop. Never clumps up. I like my protein shakes cold. So I mix it with room temperature water and shake that up. Then I put 4-5 pieces of ice and shake it again. If you mix it with milk, it tastes like a milkshake. I've never had any problem mixing it with cold liquids.

Effectiveness 9/10

This topic is a hard one for protein powders. Protein powders are hard to judge for effectiveness. However this product has only sometimes given me protein farts. It mixes smoothly and has never upset my stomach. I drink this right when I get up (5am) and it keeps me feeling full for a few hours until I eat breakfast (9am). I also take this after my workout (7pm) and it helps feed my muscles overnight since of the time release protein.

Value 10/10

I got this on sale at Costco so the price was great. I think it was around $40-45 (or maybe less) for a 5lb container. Good price overall. Would definitely buy again for the price.

Side Effects

I have almost finished my second tub. Sometimes you will get protein farts. However I have rarely gotten protein farts from this product. No pain or discomfort in my stomach.

I was skeptical about this product first. But now I would recommend this product to anyone. It tastes great and mixes well. Try buying it at Costco (if you can) since you get more bang for your buck. Otherwise overall a great product. Good job MusclePharm!
    • Cookies N' Cream: 10/10
      January 23, 2015

----Ingredient Profile----
    I tried the hybrid version of Combat. It utilizes whey protein isolates, whey protein concentrates, hydroslate proteins, and casein proteins. The whey proteins are fast digesting, so they are good for post workout and when you wake up in the morning. The casein proteins are slow digesting, so they are best for before you go to bed. Combat also has glutamine and BCAA's in it to help speed up recovery time.

I had the chocolate milk flavor. I thought that it tasted really good.
    I generally mixed with 10-12 ounces of water. Usually, there is a tiny bit of residue left over in the bottom.

I haven't lost any muscle while I have increased the intensity of my cardio workouts.

It seems to have quality ingredients and helped speed up recovery. It is worth the price.

----Side Effects----
    I did not have any side effects.

This is a great all around protein. I would definitely use it again in the future.
    • Chocolate Milk For Chocolate Lovers Craving
        December 12, 2014

I have not reviewed a supplement in a while so why not start with one of my new favorites. I have used countless tubs of Combat. I have been looking for a while for a casein that can keep my stomach full throughout the night and well into the morning. Muscle Pharm says that, it feeds muscles up to 8 hours. Well, Combat did that for me, and more.

Ingredient profile:
      Combat has 130 calories per serving and about 5 grams of carbohydrates, which makes Combat a perfect casein protein while cutting. It is also, great for any other uses, such as maintenance or even bulking. Muscle Pharm claims it is loaded with extra amino acids, which is something that really got my attention.

Taste – 10
      The only flavor I ever bought was COOKIES N’ CREAM. The best tasting cookies n’ cream protein I have ever had. With every sip that I took it tasted exactly like cookies with an after taste of cream… Delicious. I would mix it with water only. I noticed when I drank it fast I had very bad smelling burps.

Mixability – 9
      When mixed with water there were no chunks or clumps of protein. It was very smooth. The only thing that I have to say about mixability is that at the bottom of my shaker, in my last gulp, there was a bunch of black dots; this was probably to help it taste like cookies because in my last gulp the flavor of cookies was always plentiful.

Effectiveness – 10
      Well combat made me one very happy costumer. I want to start of by saying to keep a guy like myself full throughout the night and into the morning is impressive. I’m 6’4, 308lbs. I eat A LOT of food. But, somehow Combat did it. When Muscle Pharm said that it feeds muscles up to 8 hours they were not lying. I would sleep an average of 7.5 hours every night. I did not wake up in the middle of the night hungry. I did not go to bed hungry because this satisfied me completely. When I woke up in the morning my muscles felt fuller. After I woke up I was not looking for food. I was able to accomplish a few tasks in the morning before I would start breakfast, without having the feeling of hunger. I felt like when Muscle Pharm claimed that is has extra amino acids they told the truth because of the recovery I noticed. The recovery was noticeable but nothing crazy. It always helped my legs recovery from a workout or from a football practice. My teammates would complain about their leg soreness during doubles and I felt like I had fresh legs a majority of the time. Another thing I like about Combat is that it can be taken at any point in the day. When I knew would not be able to eat for a while because of practice and class, I would drink Combat and it kept me full till I could eat my next meal. I have also taken Combat after workouts and I loved it. I did not notice any better recovery compared to other proteins when I took it after workouts. But I did enjoy how smooth it went down after long workouts.

Value -7
      2lb tub of Combat is $ 26 from, which is 27 servings. A 4lb bag is $42 from, which is 50 serving. I wish it were cheaper. It is a great product but I’m not happy about the price.

Conclusion –
      Combat is a great Casein protein. It helped me recover and stay full throughout the night and day. It can also be used at any point in the day. BUT, I think it is a bit pricey.
      • Price
      • Wish It Was A 5lb Tub
        January 19, 2014

This is my first experience with Muscle Pharms Combat protein. A few months ago they started selling this at Costco and thought I would give it a try. They have a special on this that you can only get at Costco. Costco is the only place that sells a 5lb container of this with 65 servings in it. If you order this online the biggest size you can find is a 4lb tub with 52 servings.

Calories From Fat 20g
      Zinc 0%
      Copper 0%
      Featuring Omegawaveâ„¢
      Multi-Level Amino Acid Growth Matrix 35g **
      Alanine, Leucine, Lysine Arginine, Glycine, Histidine, Isoleucine,Tyrosine,Valine, Cystine, Methionine, Phenylalanine, Proline, Serine, Aspartic Acid, Threonine, Tryptophan, Glutamic Acid
      Combat Powderâ„¢ Proprietary Time Release System **
      Whey Protein Isolate, Partially Hydrolized Whey Protein, Micellular Casein,Whey Protein Concentrate, Egg Albumin, L-Glutamine, L-Isoleucine, L-Leucine, L-Valine, Cocoa Powder, Soy Lecithin (Dutch Process), Digestive Enzyme Blend.

This is an Advanced time release protein. This has a pretty decent ingredient profile I think. It says on the label that this will feed your muscles up to 8 hours. This has 5 different sources of protein fast, medium, and slow digesting and I will explain each of them.

Whey Protein Hydrolysate
      Broken down into faster absorbing peptides, this rapidly infuses muscle-building amino acid.

Whey Protein Isolate
      Digests and absorbs rapidly and is, gram for gram, the highest available yield of protein.

Whey Protein Concentrate
      Closest to whole food and contains real subfractions.

Egg Albumin
      Highly bioavailable and is high in BCAA's and arginine, contributing to hormone productions and muscle building.

Micellar Casein
      Digests slowly, infusing valuable amino acids over several hours.

For this special 5lb tub they are selling it for $42.99 for 65 servings. If you order the 4lb tub online you only get 52 servings and the price I have seen for that is around $40 plus shipping. I feel this is a pretty good deal they have at Costco plus you get 15 more servings.

Right now the only flavor they have at Costco is cookies & cream flavor. From what I heard this is the only place you can get the cookies & cream flavor but I am not for sure on that. This reminded me of eating an ice cream chocolate chip cookie. I thought it tasted really good but as I got towards the end of the container I was starting to get a little tired of this flavor even thought I liked it. I wish they could get a couple more flavors so I could switch it up a little so I don't get tired of the same flavor all the time.

There were no issue at all with this mixing up. It mixed up real nicely and had a very smooth texture to it.

I always took one full scoop after each workout for recovery mainly and to help tide me over a little until I could eat supper later in the evening. I always start my workouts around 3pm or so and would take this around 5:30pm after my workout. This would also be good to take at night before bed or in the morning because of the different type of proteins in this.

It's hard to tell how well a protein product in general really works and if it's effective. I do believe this worked pretty good for me. I feel I built a little more muscle mass on this and leaned up some. I was a lot less sore the next day or two after some really hard workouts. Had no issues at all with digestion. I really enjoyed the different kinds of protein they put in this. This seemed to keep me feeling more full a few hours after I took this. It was good getting some of these different proteins in me if I knew I was not going to be eating for awhile after my workouts. It's nice having the added BCAA's they put in this for recovery but a better breakdown of how much they put in this would be kind of nice to know.

I feel this was a pretty solid protein and I would for sure recommend it. If you ever make it into a Costco store and are in the need of a good protein product this I would highly recommend. I am for sure going to be getting this again which I all ready have done. It's just a great all around protein and for the price it makes it a pretty good deal I think. I just wish Costco could get a few more flavors to sell also.
      • Added Strength
          July 27, 2013

This is my first review, so any tips would be awesome. I discovered through Google while looking for reviews about supplements... fancy that?

I don't yet know that much about supplements of any kind, but wanted to try reviewing this supplement because I greatly enjoyed it.

I started lifting in February '13 and gained about 25 pounds (140 to 165) by the end of May. Cut down to a decently lean 155 in June and July (this month). I went through two 4 pound tubs of Combat Powder during the bulk, one tub during the cut, lifting 5-6 days a week. I dosed this at one scoop, usually mixed with a nutritional shake (like Boost), and a spoonful of peanut butter.

Taste: A
        I thoroughly enjoyed the Chocolate Milk flavor. It tastes good whether mixed with milk, chocolate milk, water, nutritional shakes, everything I've tried. I wouldn't recommend something crazy like orange juice, but any liquid within reason should taste good mixed with the Chocolate Milk flavor.

Mix: B+
        This powder mixed pretty well with all of the liquids mentioned in the Taste section, even when I added in a small spoonful of peanut butter and used a regular water bottle. Found some clumps every now and then.

Effectiveness: A?
        I'm not sure how to rate the effectiveness of a protein powder, mostly because of a lack of experience. I'm gluten-free, making it difficult to get enough protein in a college cafeteria, so for me this product seemed incredibly effective. Also, this is my first protein powder, so I can't compare it to anything else. Digested well, no problems with protein gas.

Price: B
        I guess $39.99 for 52 servings is a good price, but it still seems expensive to a broke college kid!

Overall: A-
        I thoroughly enjoyed this product and I'm trying the Chocolate Peanut Butter flavor next!

Again, this is my first review, so I appreciate any comments or tips.
        • Added Strength
            June 10, 2013

Hi all, first review here. I took Muscle Pharm Combat because I wanted to try a protein blend which could serve as a post-workout and night time supplement. Looking over the profile its a five protein blend which features whey protein concentrate, whey protein isolate, whey protein hydrolyzed, micellar casein, egg albumin and it has added bcaa's and glutime to help with recovery.

In a 33 gram scoop you get 25 grams of protein per serving with 2.5 grams of fat and 4 grams of carbs which isn't not to bad for a blend. My main problem with any protein blend is you don't know exactly what amount out whey proteins your getting. With anything that features an ingredients list the first thing to feature is the thing there will be the most of, and in the case its the Whey concentrate followed by isolate and then hydrolyzed.

- Taste 8.5/10: The taste of this blend is amazing. I found with the cookies and cream that it was spot on in terms of the flavors but was a pinch too sweet. For me personally I can't help but be weary of the amount of artificial sweeteners based on the fact that you wouldn't even know your drinking a protein powder. Another interesting thing was the amount of ingredients that make up the cookies in the shake, there are at least 10-12 ingredients in the 'other ingredients' section but the interesting thing is you can't find them on the internet because they only ever show the 'chocolate milk' supplement facts.

-Mixibility 9/10: I always mix with a shaker and found it was fine with water or milk. It was really amazing with water in the way it would thicken it up and almost give you the illusion you were drinking milk.

-Effectiveness 7/10: I found it was generally pretty good with recovery but I wasn't thrilled with the amount of bloating.I normally workout before work and I don't get a break for 5 hours so it was good to have a serving before I started just so I didn't get a headache from an empty stomach.

-Value 6.5/10: I live in Australia so we will always have to pay more but at $75 for around 4lbs its not great but its not that bad. My main problem is that its marketed as a slow release/post-workout powder and the main protein in the blend is whey concentrate, not that its bad or anything but I could pretty much buy 4kg/8.8lbs of whey concentrate for that amount. I know people are going to say 'yeah but you don't get the 4 other proteins' which is true but it doesn't even state the ratios between all five proteins

-Overall 7/10: I'm giving Muscle Pharm Combat a 7 because as far as protein 'blends' go I think this is a good option for anyone who only want to take one protein powder. I just find it interesting with the marketing of the product because its marketed as a post workout and night time recovery supplement yet its not going to be really great at either. Obviously it depends on your workout, diet, schedule etc. In my opinion I wouldn't waste your time with a blend, I would look a getting a top quality whey isolate or hydrolyzed for post workout and casein for night-time recovery. It will probably cost more but you will get more servings which will balance that out and the quality will be a lot better.
          • Price
          • Made Me Fart
            June 10, 2013

Muscle pharms combat is one of the few protein blends that i have tried. Ive gone through 4lb of the smores and a small tub of banana, both flavors were awesome.
          Taste: 10/10- this protein has to be the best tasting protein i have ever had, and i have tried MANY different protein powders. The smores flavor was incredible plus i enjoyed the marshmallow and chocolate chunks even though they did sink it was like an extra treat at the bottom. The banana flavor was also very tasty as well. Not only did i drink it i have also cooked with it and i have to say it makes a mean tasting protein pancake.
          Mixability: 8/10- mixed pretty well with no trouble with about 10 seconds of solid shaking in a cup, no chunks at all unless you count the pieces of marshmallow and chocolate in the smores flavor which don't mix. Gave an 8 because they sink and you gotta keep shaking em.
          Effectiveness: not rate able- i wont rate effectiveness of a protein just off the basis of it only being a protein. They arent miracle supplements just a replacement for food for me when its convenient.
          Ingredients: 9/10- has around 25g protein 5g carbs and 1.5g fat which is on par with most whey proteins which i consider good for a protein blend. The proteins are from various wheys casein and egg which are all solid sources.
          Price:9/10- for what it is and its quality id rate this a 9/10 because i hve found it as cheap as 35$ for 4lb with free shipping. For around 50servings i consider this a very competitive price.
          All in all i woul definately reccomend this protein to anyone looking for a great tasting good priced protein with quality ingredients.
              March 9, 2013

After a long break from, I've decided to come back for a couple of reviews of a few products that I have impressed me over the last year. I know its difficult to review protein powder because its almost impossible to feel or see the effects of them. So I like to judge them by price, mixability, taste and amino acid profile. This is where Muscle Pharm Combat shines in all those areas. Thanks to Petey for recommending Combat to me almost a year ago, I've been on the bandwagon ever since! After taking all types and brands over the last 14 years, Combat is now is my personal favorite.

Combat is a time-released protein blend. Containing whey isolate, whey hydroslate, micellar casein and egg white albumen. Claims to feed muscles for up to 8 hours. Combat also has a added digestive enzyme blend for ease of absorption. Muscle Pharm also claim they added extra bcaa's and glutamine to blend but does not specify how much was actually added. The supplement facts I feel are pretty dang solid. 130 cals, 2.5g of fat, 3 net carbs and 24g of protein. Another important feature of this protein is there is not a lot of unnecessary fillers added. I feel Muscle Pharm did a great job on keeping it clean.

-Taste 10/10: Hands down the best tasting protein I've ever had! I've had chocolate milk, peanut butter, cookies n'cream, banana cream, orange creamsicil and vanilla. Rarely do ever find that all flavors are amazing! My GF even loves it and shes extremely picky when it comes to protein shakes.

-Mixibility 10/10: When mixed in a standard shaker cup the mixibility is superb! Never had any clumps or anthing left over in the bottom. There is no grittiness taste, just smooth, light consistency from start to finish.

-Effectivness 9/10: This area is hard to measure with protein powders. However, I never had any issues with digestion. Combat never gave me the protein farts that I would sometimes get with other powders. Combat would also keep me full for a few hours at a time. Just wish they would break down the amino profile to see what your actually getting extra.

-Value 9/10: You can find Combat for around 39.99 for a 4 lbs jug with 52 servings which I thought was very reasonable. Comes out to 77 cents per scoop. Not the best priced but not going to break the bank either.

-Overall 9/10: Overall I give Combat a solid 9 because nothing is perfect, however Combat is very close. I currently have 4 jugs of Combat in my supplemet closet, thats how much I enjoy this protein! I am a huge fan and highly recommend it to anyone who wants an amazing tasting, smooth and all around great protein shake.

• Great Digestion
            • Nothing
              August 9, 2012

I am always curios to try out new protein powders, so i decided to order a tub of Combat powder after outastanding review.

So my honest and straight review.
            Taste 4/10:
            Generally i love banana flavor.... But this was way to sweet , even mixed with water. Meh.....
            Mixability 2/10
            Oh my.... what's wrong with this powder. It is terrible to mix, many big clumps. I've used a shaker, stir utensil, mixer.... Milk or water. Always clumps in it.
            Value 7/10
            Would rate it in the middle range. Fair price and value, but could be a little bit cheaper.

Results :
            I had a big problem to digest it, gives me a lot of gas and all the clumps do not help since it doesn't mix good.

Dear Muscle Pharm, i really don't know if i received a bad batch of your protein powder, but i am really dissapointed.
            This is the second worst protein powder i've ever tried ( only the old Nitrotech was worse)
            • Unpleasant Taste
            • Made Me Fart
            • Very Bad Mixability
            • Hard Digestion
              July 25, 2012

To start with lets take a look at what Muscle Pharm Combat Powder actually is and what it does. This powder shake is a blend of quality proteins including WHEY PROTEIN ISOLATE, PARTIALLY HYDROLYZED WHEY PROTEIN, MICELLAR CASEIN, WHEY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE making it much more than just a simple whey protein powder. These types of proteins are intended for a slow release of protein over time to continually feed muscle over a period of hours. Great for before bed to help build and repair.

The combination of whey proteins and casein protein Combat uses continuously feeds your muscle, helping promote growth and repair throughout the night or day. You have the Casein which works as a slow digesting protein, slowly being released of a sustained period. Then there is Whey which is a fast absorbing protein. This is ideal for after workouts. Unfortunately the ingredients in Combat are hidden within a "proprietary blend" making it hard to tell how much of the specific ingredients there are exactly.

This protein blend is great for anti-catabolic and recovery purposes. Featuring 24g of protein in one scoop it doesn't have the highest protein content out there but still does its job. With one scoop a serving the tub provides 52 servings.

Combat powder mixes really well. Using a shaker the powder mixed quickly although not perfectly; it was a little clumpy but this is catch 22 with protein powders in general as im sure you will know. Combat powder certainly isn't the worst mixing protein, but again is not the best either. On the other hand, even though it is a little clumpy it doesn't leave behind any residue at the bottom like the cheap powders out there, so it can be said it is light on filler.

I have heard mixed reviews about the different flavours from friends. I tried the Chocolate Milk flavor and I thought it was as good as most others I have tried, not the best but by no means the worst. I have found some shakes quite thick anda struggle to consume, this one is not like that, it goes down smoothly. I also tried the Triple Berry, this I didnt find quite as nice to be honest. Overall the different flavours offer different experiences, its all just bout personal preference I feel, they are certainly not horrible at least. What makes up for it is the results from the quality ingrediants you are getting.

After trying it out for a month ive gotta say ive slowly warmed to it. It has my vote as a quality product offering good solid results. On the flip side, I still do feel there are better products on the market that do the same if not better and are better tasting. A good point in Muscle Pharms flavour is its price. Many other similar powders cost more,and any cheaper ones generally just dont offer the quality expected. Overall take away the price and nice looking packaging and there is better powders out there, But if you are looking for a nice balance of price, quality and taste then you can't go wrong

Muscle Pharm Combat 4lb - Buy here
            • Decent Taste
            • Can Be Tough To Mix With Cold Liquids
            • Wish It Had A Little More Protein

Copyright © 2015 All rights reserved. All trademarks are property of their respective owners.